Page 11 of 244 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Date: 06.09.1994.

Alex's Room

Phase
    :
    Evening Phase
    Weather: Sunny
    ---

The dissonance of the conversation seemed to have reached a new level. Alex was certainly very 'special' in her convictions... convictions and beliefs that left Vivienne in quite of a mental pickle. Her shoulders lightly slumped as a clear sign of frustration, though her face remained unchanging as usual. Shaking her head once more at Alex's words, Vivienne chose to speak once more, probably realizing that miming and drawing would probably not help her in any way here -- it was with words that she had to convey her story, her origins.

"Actress... I was actress, never a drawing artist. Only started drawing... because uncle suggested me. 'Easier to communicate', he said."

Would this be clear enough for Alex, or would she really have to resort to drastic measures to get her point across?

Some may even wonder, why was this quiet, shy girl trying to make herself understood? At any time, she could have just walked away and continued reading books in her room, or heck, she could have done anything else like going out to town or meeting other students...and yet...

... here she was, motioning and being unusually talkative to a person she had just met. Was this perhaps just how Vivienne was? Maybe the fact that Alex never looked at her strangely, or judged Vivienne for her quietness played a part in all this, but then, rather than being a case of personal attachment, maybe that this was all simply due ot the fact that Vivienne Bianchi was someone who simply hated leaving misunderstandings be.

Elaine Winters
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 06.09.1994

Yes, naturally if he was a companion to a Guildenstern, he would be of a Rosencrantz persuasion. It is logical and makes sense, but that doesn’t answer if that’s actually his name.

In addition, his manner of speaking was odd, not only in his rasp, but his cadence, like he was reading from a script, poorly.

He was a real weirdo, and I watched him steadily. Something about this situation, so soon after I’d been put at ease by the view, threw me right on back into caution mode.

”Not much interested in shoes, I’m afraid,” I said, wrinkling my nose at a bitter scent, wormwood.

I caught myself, coughing for a beat, “But, ah, I appreciate the offer, Mr Rosencranz,” Then I eyed Hisa a little strangely, why all of a sudden had been taken to weirdsville?

But hm, I wonder...

”Are you a traveling man, sir? Seen a guy about six feet tall, I guess maybe a bit over 185 centimeters, dark blond hair, thinks he’s funnier than he is?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolf
    Phase: Evening Phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "Yeah, I mean, I suppose? You got plenty of weird accents no matter where you go, but most of them keep it somewhat sensible. Just don't get me started on Texas. 'Y'all' this and 'Dogie' that, it's pretty ridiculous. I've been 'round a lot so I've got my fair share of it all. Though haven't really heard European accents before this."
    "Y'all? Dogie? I can guess what Dogie is, but y'all? I can see what you mean now about Texas."

So that’s why her accent didn’t sound particularly different from what I learned in the school. I guess being sent all over the United States stops you from developing a regional accent. Of course being sent all over the United States implies money or military service. At the current moment, I’m inclined to believe that Aleen is from a rich family.

On a different note, the fisher girl was starting to fall asleep again.

"By the way, you really mean you'd tutor me? That'd be super swell. Hate to admit it but I've got a pretty thick head when it comes to all that school stuff so I'mma need all the help I can get. Never was any good with maths or sciences or whatever. Heck, just the thought of numbers makes my head spin, yeah? Dunno why that is."
    For someone who claims they have a thick head and bad at things, they’re really good at folding those perfect angles required for those fractal napkins folds. I don’t think I could replicate a fold like that even if I got a protractor.

“Of course, I’ll tutor you. It would be horrible if you had to take remedial classes while I went out by myself.”

Part of it is because I want her to continue to show me around this town. On the other, I was hoping that she would continue treating me in the future if I went a step beyond just showing her my homework. And seeing Aleen fail wouldn’t make me happy.

After five more minutes of talking, our pie and hot coffee finally showed up. I haven’t even take a single bite and I was already salivating. The coffee’s aroma balanced out the sweet smell of the pie and made me even hungrier. Since Aleen tried the coffee first, I guess it’s my job to try the pie first.

When I was cutting the pie, I realized that there was a little difficulty cutting into it. That was because the pie crust was crisp on the outside but nice and flaky underneath that layer. The perfect level of balance between the Crunchy Crust and Flaky Crust factions.

I placed the small newly cut slice of cherry pie on my small dessert plate and noticed how the cherry filling didn’t run out from the cut sections. After a brief moment to marvel at my pie, I finally took a bite into it.

“This pie?!”

What is this?! I know I haven’t had many tasty things in my life due to my life circumstances. The only reason I was good at judging food is due to reading cooking magazines on occasion combined with my own habit to over-analyze. But seriously, this buttery, flaky, yet crisp crust has a wonderful texture that makes you want to eat it by itself. Combined with the tart cherries and the sweet filling, this pie met and exceeded my expectations. Even if I bought this at full price, I wouldn’t be angry.

“This pie is too good~”

Quote Originally Posted by Owner?
    "Clad to hear it, love. Now, how are the two of you finding our little lot of the land? Bet you two haven't been in such boondocks before, what with your city-slicker clothes."
    In between bites of cherry pie, I answered the Owner (?).

“Actually before coming here, I spent some time in a Scandinavian mountain town. It was much smaller and a lot more isolated than Road’s End. Also a lot colder.”

I gave a small little laugh about that.

“This town is very quiet and has a very relaxing aura. I don’t really have that much opinion since I just got here...”

After I finished my quick response, I noticed Aleen choking on her coffee and dealing with probably a burnt throat. I ‘frantically’ started to pull at the napkins at the end of the table and went to dab on any of the spilled coffee areas.

“Aleen?! Are you okay? I’m sorry Miss. Could you get my friend some water? I think she burnt her throat by accident...”

Let’s see if I can save Aleen from answering and putting her foot in her mouth.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Momoi Hisa

As the man kept talking, it became even more obvious that he wasn't completely normal. The way he spoke, and how he clearly avoided giving a clear answer to anything...Certainly, he was no fool nor just an ordinary shoe salesman.

Then there was his bag...The way he described it, gave it so much purpose, clearly there was more to it, but even if he really only had his wares in it, why...

I was becoming slightly annoyed with the situation. If it wasn't for the circumstances, it would've been so --- Well, questions can still be asked. But how far can I get when he is hiding the truth...

My gaze turned to Elaine. Ahh... I was here to chat with her and make her happy. Yet I'm probably just making things very awkward now. Should just finish things quickly...

"Maybe some other time. I assume you came here for a reason and won't be leaving until you finish your business, so we should still have the chance to talk?"

It sounded more as a demand than a question. Well, I definitely needed to talk to him again, under better circumstances, preferably in private...

"On another note; how would we recognize Gildenstern if we saw him? And what business did he have in this town, anyways?"

"And if you must know," I begin without much of a thought, somewhat hoping that it will make some sense to him, "there is no cuckoo here. There is only you."
    Last edited by Cheetose; January 17th, 2019 at 05:51 PM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

"... A-actress?"

Alex stared at Vivienne without an expression, gears in her head ticking away and trying to process this information given to her, this information that directly clashed with what she had just said. The quiet girl could actually see the pieces of the puzzle slowly rearranging themselves to form a completely new picture, not the one that the reporter had initially thought to be true. In fact, that might have been the root of the problem. From her body language it was clear that Alex was the type that when she made some decision, or arrived to some conclusion, she believed to be true come hell or high water.

It was only when given irrefutable proof that she would concede that she had been wrong.

And the result?

"..."

Without a word, Alex set her cup of tea aside, carefully placing the plate and the cup on top of it on the table. Then, inhaling loudly and slowly, she put her hands over her face in order to hide it. But even between her lithe and nimble fingers Vivienne could see a rising redness appear on her cheeks, a magnificent blush blossoming over the reporter's face as she realized the full extent of her folly.

"... An actress... I see..." Alex quietly muttered. "... I'm... I'm very sorry."

Another detail that didn't go unnoticed.

Alex was someone who couldn't handle being embarrassed at all, curling up in shame.

"... I'msorryIjumpedtoconclusion," she whispered, red as a beet. "PleaseforgeteverythingIjustsaid."

Vier Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Aleen?! Are you okay? I’m sorry Miss. Could you get my friend some water? I think she burnt her throat by accident...”
    "Oh, sure!" Avery hurried to say and ran to the counter. "Cathie, water, now!"

Meanwhile, Aleen was busy flailing her arms and legs around, trying her damnedest not to choke on the damn good coffee she had previously spoken so highly off. Her savior came in the form of a girl rushing to the dining area from the kitchen. This girl handed the owner a glass of water, which was then zoomed over to Aleen. The bluehead gulped it all down in one go, practically swallowing that glob of water in one go. Only after that did she calm down a little bit, letting out an exhale of relief and bliss.

One thing to keep in mind if there was to be further ventures out into the town with Aleen.

Do not let her get surprised.

Judging from this little episode, the girl had no poker face, no ability to stay calm under pressure, and most importantly of all... she had defenses against surprise attacks.

"Euuuughhh~!" Aleen whined. "I thought I was gonna die!"

"Err, try not to take a bite out of the pie just yet, love," Avery said, rubbing Aleen's shoulder. "It's piping hot as well."

It was a funny, even the type of scene that would make one smile... but for some reason, the girl that bore a striking resemblance to the owner kept glaring Aleen from behind the counter like she had just insulted every bit of food inside the diner.

Elise Pelltier

Jake had raised a rather obvious question in Elise's mind that she hadn't considered before. Elise continued to watch the dormitory as she mulled over its implications.

Why is there even a dormitory here at all? I mean, obviously we need one now, but if it was sitting empty and disused even in Jake's school years... why did they even build it in the first place? Why would a local school even need a dormitory? Let alone one that size. Did they originally intend Pinefall to be a private school, then change their minds? Ship in students from more isolated areas and let them stay here? Not like you can be more isolated than Road's End...

It's like they built this place for the Oceandrop Program decades before the Oceandrop Program was even conceived...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    "And by the time I got this job, they had already renovated the parts where you live now," he continued. "Didn't even give me keys to over there. Say what you want, but I think they're intent on keeping students away from that place. Though... can it really be that dangerous?"
    If they didn't even give Jake, their own janitor, keys to get in there, they really don't want anyone getting in. Hm. Who would have the keys then? Who even has more keys than the janitor?

"Yeah, it can't be that dangerous. They're probably just being overzealous for our safety. Better safe than sorry and all that, right?"

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    "But who knows? Maybe it's just another part of our small town weirdness."
    "Oh? What other bits of small town weirdness do you have around here?" asked Elise excitedly, "Sorry, I'm always curious to learn about local folklore."

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday, John Dove & Adelaide Cheshire

Not fifteen minutes later, the landscape of the school gym had changed drastically. Badminton net had been stretched across a good part of it and various items and knick-knacks had been cleared out to make room for a proper court for a game. Mr. Hatou even set up a flip scoreboard on the wall, standing now by it with a whistle between his lips, looking somewhat concerned and even a little scared. This change in attitude was mostly because of the two girls who were now standing on the opposite sides of the badminton court, eyes locked in a staring content and each holding a racket more like a weapon than an instrument of sports.

“5 Point Death Match. The shot goes in, you get a point. None of that, like, from a serve only bullshit,” Mercedes announced, pointing her racket towards Lucille like it had been a blade. “We play with longs and wides. If you can’t keep a whole side of a court in check, well… that’s, like, your own damn problem.”

“It’s not,” Lucille answered back, voice steady with determination. If Mercedes West wanted a quick game, then she was going to be in for surprise. She wasn’t going to be the one who’d end this match cleanly.

Air crackled and sparkled and it was a small miracle there weren’t actual flashes of light, fire and lightning igniting between the two girls. Mr. Hatou shivered at the sight. He could feel tension pressing down on his shoulders like a heavy mantle of rivalry that had been thrown over the gym, darkening the sun outside and gathering clouds in a spiral pattern above the building. Well… that’s how it at least felt. Even Hiroto Hatou wasn’t foolish enough to check if that actually was the case. Because if it was, he would have been running for the hills. This was not going to be a sports match-up full of camaraderie and good spirits, filled with great sportsmanship, like he was used to.

No.

Every sign pointed out that this was going to get very ugly very fast.

“Err, Miss West? Miss Faraday? A-are you ready to, erm, start?” Mr. Hatou asked with a cough, nervously looking between the two.

Gawd! We’ve been ready for, like, five minutes! Just flip the coin already!” Mercedes growled, shooting an angry glare towards the man that made him shrink back.

“I’m ready as I’ll ever be,” Lucille said, trying to counteract the abuse towards Mr. Hatou with a warm, if somewhat forced smile. It was unfortunate he was the only one around to referee, and Lucille didn’t want to make the experience any worse than it would be.

“Ah, yes, err, very well! Tails, the first serve goes to Miss West. Heads, the first serve goes to Miss Faraday,” Mr. Hatou announced.

With a quick flick of his fingers, the muscled teacher set the coin he was holding flying towards the ceiling, spinning around on its axis like it was trying to escape the earth’s atmosphere. The coin reached its apex, glinted within the fluorescent lights of the gym, and started to fall. Air practically crackled out of anticipation as the piece of metal fell down with increasing speeds, only to be caught by Mr. Hatou. The teacher swallowed hard, slammed the coin against his palm, and removed his hand… and instantly froze.

Five seconds passed in absolute silence.

Then…!

“The first serve is Miss West’s!” Mr. Hatou’s voice rang out like a gong within the gym.

A predatory smile spread on Mercedes’ face as she went to fetch the shuttlecock, muttering ‘That’s what I’m talking about’ under her breath. Her boots weren’t exactly made for movement on the linoleum floor, but her balance seemed to be keeping just the same. As she walked back to her side of the court, the starlet made few test swats against the shuttlecock, testing its weight. When satisfied, she took her place at the back of her side of the court, locking eyes with Lucille once more.

Lucille returned that glare with a glare of her own.

Mercedes seemed too in her element, she thought. Both of them had unfitting shoes for the scenario, but Mercedes still had a clearly fine sense of balance, and more importantly, she looked hungry for victory. Not that Lucille was any different, but the bestial, predatory passion she felt was something far more imposing than she had expected from the self-centered starlet. She’d have to be careful.

“O-okay, let’s have a good game, both of you!” Mr. Hatou spoke out. “No cheating and no hard feelings. In other words, keep it clean!”

Fire seemed to blaze up behind Mercedes’ eyes and her grin widened into a sneer of a beast about to pounce.

“Like hell we will!” The actress shouted.

“Alright!” Lucille couldn’t honestly say there wouldn’t be any foul play involved, but she nodded nonetheless. At least, nothing she would do could be explicitly flagged as cheating.

----------------- The resonating sound of a whistle pierced the air, signaling that the game was on!

Immediately, Mercedes sprung to action. Her hand moved like possessed, striking the shuttlecock in an angle that send it to a wild spin that altered the trajectory of the serve. With surprising speed this unexpected projectile passed the net and shot towards Lucille… only to swerve sharpy to the left just at the last minute. Leaving behind only an after-image of something having been there, the shuttlecock slammed against the linoleum floor. The sound it made was a harsh snap and a squeak, announcing that the first point had been made before the game could even properly begin.

Mr. Hatou stared in shock.

In all honesty, even he had not expected Mercedes West to show such athleticism. The girl looked anything but sporty, after all. But looking at her now, making mock stretches and aiming a shit-eating grin towards Lucille… it was clear. Lucille’s intuition had been right about the way Mercedes handled the racket. This wasn’t her first rodeo. If anything… Mercedes looked right now like she straight-up belonged to a place and moment like this!

“F-First point, Miss West!” Mr. Hatou announced after recovering, flipping a point for the actress on the scoreboard.

Meanwhile, Mercedes was busy taunting Lucille.

“That’s it? Whaaaat, don’t seem like I gotta take this serious after all,” the actress laughed, extended her hand making a ‘come-and-get-it’ motion towards the blonde. “And here I thought you were supposed to be, like, hot shit?”

“I never said I was,” Lucille noted dryly. Bragging was something she’d never do. Hiding her shock at how well Mercedes had executed, the blonde racked her head on how to approach the matter for her serve. It was almost astoundingly evident that the actress either had more talent or more practice in sports than she did, so a straight up confrontation wouldn’t work.

Instead, Lucille would have to leverage something she knew she had over the starlet—mental fortitude.

Lucille thought about the trajectory for a moment, let go of the shuttlecock, and practically slammed it over to the other side.

Seeing the fast-approaching projectile, Mercedes practically slid across the floor, speed making her little more than a blur on the court. She reached out desperately, twisting her body and her arm in a nimble way to catch the shot. Unfortunately, this put her right where Lucille wanted her. From where she was, there was a straight view to the quivering abs of Mr. Hatou, a worst possible distraction at a moment like this. Letting out a quiet ‘Eep!’ Mercedes bit her lip and ripped her gaze from the mountain of muscle before her, managing just barely to hit the shuttlecock. She guided her swing downwards, sending a spike straight towards the front of Lucille’s side of the court.

This really was unexpected. Not only did Mercedes know how to play badminton… she was actually experienced in it!

Lucille’s eyes widened in shock. Her opponent was a genuinely good player with experience. Rather than any merely passing familiarity, or a maybe a general aptitude with sports, Mercedes knew how to play the game.

Even so.

That shot wasn’t fast enough. There was enough time to respond. Just enough that Lucille could use the foundation of her badminton skills—trick shots. Though she played casually, she knew she had a knack for slicing, imparting enough spin in the right way to catch her opponents off guard. A straightforward girl like her had no tricks, right?

Wrong.

Dashing across the court, Lucille intercepted the shuttlecock, and what looked like a swing that would send the projectile midcourt flew even farther to the rear.

In the nick of time, Mercedes realized that was heading her way was a tactical feint, pure and simple. She gritted her teeth together, sweat slinging from her brow as she spun upon her heel, digging it against the linoleum and sprinting back to the right. With a grunt, she swung her racket with all the force within her body. Thanks to the feint going a bit wide, she was able to load the swing with all her momentum, sending a bullet of a pitch in the blonde’s direction. There was no trickery or complexity there, just pure power that was meant to overcome Lucille’s defenses.

Lucille’s feint was still enough to ensure that the angle of Mercedes’ powerful return was just as flawed, and with how much force was being put into it, Lucille could make an easy guess of backing up as far as she needed to. Still, surviving against her opponent’s onslaught wasn’t enough to win. To win, she had to take the initiative.

Mirroring Mercedes’ own movements, Lucille returned with all the strength she could muster. Even if she wasn’t strong enough or skilled enough to deliver a blow with the same power, Lucille could at least aim it precariously close to Mercedes herself, banking on her sense of self-preservation.

There was a momentary shriek of surprise as Mercedes shielded her face from what she thought was going to be a power-shot returned to her, aimed at her moneymaker. However, the shot instead flew to the left, far off the mark off the actress’ face. Few seconds of silence reigned until Mercedes let down her guard and blinked a few times. For a moment, she had no idea what had happened.

And when the realization dawned upon her, a look of pure rage rose to her face. Lucille could hear teeth gnashing all the way to her side of the court.

“T-that’s a point to Miss Faraday!” Mr. Hatou announced after blowing his whistle. He flipped the scoreboard to represent the current situation of 1-1.

This yell was also the moment that (though neither of the competitors realized it thanks to their focus) the door of the gym creaked open once more, and a group of people streamed in, looking a bit confused and wondering. However, the situation quickly dawned upon them when they saw the badminton court that was practically an inferno of flaring emotions. Figurative bolts of lightning flew between the girls in their stares, each one refusing to back down a single bit.

It was a scene one could not help but to stare. Even Pyry and Ubon, who had been squirming with excitement about the thought of witnessing a sports match on their first day were left speechless before this display of ferocity.

“Eat this!” Mercedes yelled, striking a very powerful serve.

The shuttlecock flew fast and far, forcing Lucille to backpedal quickly and reach for it with all her might. As the actress had planned, this made the return be just as far-reaching as the serve. It had been a gamble, but it had paid off. To Lucille’s surprise the actress was already on the move, having reached the net by the time the shuttlecock flew again. An upward swing with almost no power behind it -a disgustingly cocky-looking punt- hit the approaching projectile, dropping it straight down and within the lines of Lucille’s side of the court.

“A point to Miss West!” Mr. Hatou announced and adjusted the scoreboard.

Lucille had been outsmarted, and the sense of anger she felt upon realizing that burnt like nothing else. The way that shot was done, casually, as if she wasn’t even worth playing with, grated on her very nerves. She definitely had fight still in her, and as she served, she prepared to put her all in the next volley.

The two were ferociously back and forth, neither truly gaining the upper hand. For every clever trick Lucille thought she could do Mercedes had the answer, whether it was a ruse of her own or raw, blinding strength. But as the rally continued, it grew monotonous, and it was just enough to put Mercedes, who had already proven herself to be more athletic, at ease. She could easily outlast Lucille if there was enough time.

That was her mistake.

Lucille sliced the shuttlecock, a deft swing that banked on how complacent her foe was.

With a confident look Mercedes ran to the left, calculating the trajectory of Lucille’s shot. She already swung her racket, hoping to get a powerful swing out of the predictable serve… but her strike found nothing to hit. Instead, her eyes turned to the right, revealing the truth. Helplessly Mercedes watched as the shuttlecock hit the ground on her right, far away from where she was.

The sound of the whistle confirmed what just had happened.

“A point to Miss Faraday!” Mr. Hatou shouted.

And so the game was 2-2 already.

Cursing under her breath, Mercedes snatched the shuttlecock from the ground and got ready for her next shot. However, this time there was something slightly different in the actress. Instead of immediately rushing for a serve, her eyes were locked in the movement of Lucille’s body and there was an almost analytical edge in her stare. For a few seconds, she studied how the blonde held herself, oriented herself and how she moved her hands.

----- And once she knew enough, Mercedes sprung to action.

Having adapted to the rhythm that Lucille blinked in, Mercedes aimed her serve to that exact moment, hoping it would allow the shuttlecock to sail past her opponent’s defenses without even being noticed!

That wasn’t the case.

Lucille knew she was becoming predictable, wondering when her foe would strike at the openings she’d left time and time again. This time around she was on guard for it, canceling out Mercedes’ careful observation with a well-timed swing of her own, a raw hit to mix up the tempo of the game.

A shriek of anger and frustration rang through the gym as Mercedes saw the approaching power-shot. Instead of trying to circumvent it or use the momentum to her advantage, the starlet instead threw all caution to the wind and ran up to meet the approaching projectile. Her boots squeaked loudly on the linoleum floor as her knees bent and Mercedes sent herself into a short jump, spiking the shot straight back towards Lucille with a horrendous force.

It was definitely surprising.

Who knew that there was so much power in such a smooth-looking body?

As soon as Mercedes had run forward, Lucille knew she had to prepare for the briefest of opportunities. She swerved towards the net as Mercedes jumped, and barely caught the spike in time, returning it somewhat haphazardly, leaving an easy opportunity for it to be returned.

Still, while Lucille didn’t have enough time to do it as she would have liked, she felt she had made the best of a terrible situation with that return. The angle. She made the angle.

With teeth gritted together in concentration, Mercedes dove towards the approaching swing, only for the horror of realization to dawn upon her face. This was the second time she had fallen to this same trick. Right in the middle of her vision was the bulging sight of bright red track suit of Mr. Hatou and everything it hid inside it. Unable to take the sight for more than a fraction of a second, she closed her own out of a reflex and shouted in panic, slashing with her racket towards the direction where the shuttlecock was coming from.

Alas, it was not enough. Her backswing missed wildly, allowing the shuttlecock to travel past the actress and hit the floor squarely between the lines.

“Point for Miss Faraday!” Mr. Hatou announced and went to adjust the scoreboard… only to jump back out of surprise.

He had no idea what he had done to deserve such a hateful glare from Mercedes West… but even Hiroto Hatou knew that, for some reason, he was at fault for something.

Once the shuttlecock was back in her hands, Mercedes went as far as to slap her own cheeks to get her focus back on. Her piercing eyes focused once more Lucille on the other side of the net, and the starlet started to sway a bit from side to side, getting to the rhythm. This time her analytical stare was not aimed at the upper body of the blonde… no, this time it followed her legs and the patterns in which she moved. It took in which leg she favored, how tired her knees seemed, and most importantly…

… How spread apart her feet were.

“HA!”

The longer the game had gone, the more Mercedes had lost in her spiteful tongue. She wasn’t even taunting Lucille with her words anymore. Instead now, when she shouted, she shouted to get some more power behind her shot.

---- Shot that was heading straight between Lucille’s legs!

“A point to Miss West!”

Mr. Hatou’s yell was a reminder of what just happened and how fast it did. In an instant the shot had hit the floor underneath Lucille, with her none the wiser until after the fact. Getting her bearings, Lucille tried to remain calm. If Mercedes could do that every time and score, she would have. A shot like that took a lot of energy, so all Lucille had to do was be careful from now on.

Taking her serve, Lucille aimed her swing precisely in the zone at the edge, hoping that Mercedes would misjudge or over commit.

The shot was precise, the shot was accurate, but Mercedes was in the zone now. Her eyes never left Lucille the way her racket moved. Thus, she was ready the exact moment the pinpoint swing was made, running to the side to catch the projectile. She struck with her own racket, adding spin to the strike that was transferred through the handle and into the shuttlecock itself. Rotating wildly the projectile shot back, swerving to the left in an attempt to avoid Lucille’s defensive zone completely.

It’s too much spin, Lucille realized, because the shot goes wild. She knew a slice when she saw one and it’s instinct that instantly tells her it’s gone off course and that she needs to be here instead of there. Still, Lucille had noticed that Mercedes was intently watching her every move, and this was a moment to capitalize on such single-minded focus. Her return looked as if she was going to do another slice, make the projectile spin again, but…

At the very last moment, Lucille smashed her racket into the shuttlecock, spiking it downwards past the net.

Too much concentration can also be a bad thing. Having focused solely on the movement of Lucille had given Mercedes something of a tunnel vision, and when she saw her opponent to prepare to copy her and give a spin to the strike as well, she moved by instinct. Calculating that the swing would send the shuttlecock to the right, but the spin would move it back to the center and back, Mercedes retreated hastily and struck back with all her might…!

But her racket met nothing but empty air. Lucille’s feint had once again succeeded and the shuttlecock struck the linoleum floor right after the net, far, far away from the starlet.

Once again the whistle was blown and the scoreboard changed.

“That is another point to Miss Faraday!” Mr. Hatou announced. “She has one more point to victory, while you have two, Miss West!”

“...”

Surprisingly enough, Mercedes didn’t bother answering. She didn’t spit venom nor did she express her frustration. No, instead her face was a mask of focus and concentration. Sweat was running freely and wildly down her face and her body, staining her clothes. Her chest was heaving heavily and she seemed to be getting exhausted. However, that didn’t even seem to bother her one bit. Instead there was surprising clarity in her eyes, like previous wildfire had been tempered into a single flame that was aimed straight at Lucille.

And as the starlet retrieved the shuttlecock, prepared for her serve and locked eyes with the blonde once more… the reason became obvious.

There was no more disdain on Mercedes’s face. No more hatred nor annoyance. No more did she look down upon the blonde or sneer at her. Her eyes acknowledged Lucille as an opponent she had to take seriously and even Mercedes couldn’t afford to put energy into frivolous stuff if she wanted to win this. In other words it was like all those nasty words she had said had evaporated completely from the starlet’s mind. The only thing remaining was acknowledgment that Lucille was standing equal to her, matching her beat for beat, pound for pound.

Was there even a hint of respect in that gaze?

Did Lucille see the look in her eyes correctly? Had competition made Mercedes admit they were equals in some regard? Instantly her mood lifted, because it seemed as if she had gotten what she had wanted after all. to make Mercedes change her view on things, if just for a little bit.

But they were still in a game, and that sense of respect was that of a competitor. If Lucille let her guard down now, she’d no doubt lose to that ferocity.

“-------!”

But just as quickly as that moment had come, it was gone. With a whip-like swing from her racket, Mercedes sent the shuttlecock forward, quick and low and aiming from the front of the field where Lucille would be forced to move up-close if she wanted to counter it. And as the blonde girl did exactly as Mercedes had waited for, she shot forward. The actress crossed the field to come meet the returning shot, clearly aiming for a spike that to the far-right end of the field, making it a rather nasty angle of attack. Nothing impossible, but at this point it was more about exchanging blows and trying to find some new trick or technique that the other could not predict!

“----- Nh!”

That’s when it happened.

Just as Mercedes was about to make her spike, her foot landed the wrong way and her face seemed to twist in pain. Without warning the starlet stumbled forward, heading face-first towards the floor. Time crawled to a halt as it seemed that nothing would stop the actress from having her cheeks make a quick and messy meeting with the linoleum. Her body toppled over, passed its center of balance, fell fast and hard and---

“RAH!”

It had all been just an act.

Mercedes’s right leg shot forward, giving her a momentary point of balance. She swung her racket with furious force, eyes seeing nothing but Lucille and the weak point in her defenses and teeth grinding together out of concentration. A ridiculously loud bang echoed in the room as the racket and the shuttlecock met and the projectile was shot back to Lucille’s side of the court. It was like a feathered bullet, heading straight for the goal.

Such a ridiculous tactic.

In a fit of irony, even though Lucille had mocked the idea… Mercedes had indeed brought her acting prowess to the battlefield of badminton.

Unfortunately, such tactics had their price. Her body had pivoted too much forward even if she had managed to deliver a shot from that position and gravity handled the rest. With a painful grunt Mercedes crashed against the floor, horrible squeaking ringing out as skin met the linoleum. The only positive that the actress’s planning had saved her face, and she had managed to turn on her side. Only her arm made contact with the floor.

But alas.

Even after a sacrifice and, honestly, dirty tactic like that… it had been all for naught.

The shot had too much power behind it, and the shuttlecock sailed out of bounds, robbing Mercedes of the point she had been trying to steal.

“...” Mercedes simply stared wordlessly after the projectile that had failed her.

Just as silently she picked herself up from the floor, grabbing her racket as she did so. The only acknowledgment that the actress gave to the nasty-looking friction burn on her left arm was a quiet hiss and a painful wince. But she pushed past that pain through sheer stubbornness, took her stance once more, and trained her eyes once more at Lucille. Mercedes might have been smeared in sweat, breathing heavy and ragged, even wounded in her attempt to get a point… but she wasn’t giving up. She wasn’t going to whine and throw in the towel.

Her eyes told Lucille everything.

The starlet had found someone she could go all out against who wouldn’t fold like a house of cards. Something she had rarely, if ever, experienced. So, in a completely reversal of how they had talked to each other when they had first met…

Mercedes West didn’t want to disrespect Lucille by quitting now.

… And, well, she hated to lose.

Yes. She was simply that stubborn.

The hand that had gone to pick up the shuttlecock suddenly started shaking when Lucille had turned around. She’d initially run forward, having completely fallen for Mercedes’ trick, only to let out a sigh of relief when it turned out that everything had been fine and that her opponent had gone wide pulling the stunt that was meant to prove her wrong. But now that Lucille had noticed that friction burn on Mercedes arm, it was clear to everyone her determination immediately wavered.

It was like someone had knocked the wind out of her sails. Her eyes grew distant and glassy, as if they were staring at something far beyond the gym.

Mercedes had gotten hurt. And the person responsible was all too clear. Though Lucille wished for her to learn a lesson, she didn’t meant to cause her any actual pain. It was her fault for picking a fight. It was her fault for being brazen enough to make it blow up as it did. It was her fault for pushing Mercedes to this point.

Lucille couldn’t stand the sight. It made her sick just thinking about it. But she also knew that Mercedes hated being pitied, that the starlet was finally taking the match as seriously as she could. That wasn’t something Lucille wanted to take away, either.

So, mulling over her words, tinged by the desperation that was currently plaguing her heart, Lucille thought about what to say. Then in a practiced, even tone, as if the intensity of the match was already behind her, she spoke.

“How about we continue this some other time? You can’t give it your all when you’re hurt like that, Mercedes, and I’d like to play you at your best.”

The smile Lucille gave was like that of a patient schoolteacher, reserved yet a bit too kind. Yet for a brief moment, the facade broke, as Lucille’s gaze suddenly turned to the floor.

“I hate seeing people get hurt because of me,” she mumbled under her breath.

Mercedes froze for a moment after hearing Lucille’s words. Her eyes were still trained upon the blonde and, for a moment, they seemed to be seeking a reason for this sudden and complete change in attitude. With that energy still coursing through her body, Mercedes hardly looked like someone ready to call the match off, less to go along with a showcase of pity disguised as pragmatism… but something she found within Lucille’s face made her eyes widen a bit.

Then, with a single big breath… Mercedes seemed to exhale all her fighting spirit, her body slumping forward a bit. When she did lift her gaze to meet that of Lucille once more, the starlet no longer looked like she was going to continue this match till the bitter end. Instead, there was a prideful smile on that face. Prideful, yes, but not an unpleasant one. It was like someone saying that they knew they were being tricked, but they were going to allow it.

“Hmph, fine!” Mercedes answered haughtily, though that smile betrayed her actual emotions. “I don’t mind, like, humiliating you laters. Gives me just something to look forward to.”

She then turned that prideful smile into a prideful glare as she turned to look at the small audience of students still in the dorm that had gathered.

“Alright, peanut gallery! Show’s like over!” Mercedes shouted and made a shooing motion with her hands. “Go gawk somewhere else!”

Confused yet polite clapping started echoing from the group, started by one Miss Ubon. Say what you will about the two people and their differing styles, it had been a very intense game of badminton, one that deserved an applause. That’s why, in just scant few seconds, Pyry, Sakura and Inacio joined in, looks of small wonder on their faces. It had definitely been worth it to come check out the brewing competition… and not even because they got to watch two sweaty girls move back and forth!

“Alright, Mr. Hatou? Clean up, will you?” Mercedes ordered, tossing her racket over to the teacher. “Me and Lucy here are gonna like hit the showers. Plus I might need to go show this to Ms. Leuzinger… probs. It stings like a bitch.”

Mercedes gestured towards the friction burn in her arm and got an affirmative nod from the tall teacher. Seeing that her chance had arrived, the starlet slinked under the net and onto the other side, where she walked up to Lucille and swung her good arm around the blonde’s shoulders. It was a surprising showcase of familiarity… but then again, it also had the hidden agenda of getting some much needed physical support from the other girl. There might have been also a small dose of spitefulness in there too, considering how unpleasant the feeling of sweaty skin meeting sweaty skin was.

“Come, let’s get going. I’mma dying for, like, a cold drink and cold shower,” Mercedes spoke and flashed a momentary, genuine grin. “I mean gawd, can’t remember when’s the last time someone, like, made me run like that. You got a wicked smash, you know that?”

And so the two of them headed for the locker room, and the much-needed showers.

“Oh and bee-tee-dubs? I gotta know what you, like, do with that hair. How’s it still looking pristine!?”

Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Oh? What other bits of small town weirdness do you have around here? Sorry, I'm always curious to learn about local folklore."
    "Nah, that's alright," Jake answered with a smile. "Honestly, there ain't much else to do in a bodunk town like this but swap stories about all the weird little things you notice."

As if a man about to start telling a story, Jake switched his position on the bench. He moved to the side, took a full upright position and fished out a pack of cigarettes he had wrapped on the sleeve of his shirt. After lighting one up and taking a deep drag, he motioned Elise to sit down too. This one might be a long one, or perhaps the silver-haired youth was anticipating a number of questions that might pop up and make the story session even longer.

"Well... I guess, first of all, there's the whole deal with how the head of the McLampet family died back some thirty years ago," Jake began. "See, Howard McLampet wasn't the type of guy to drop dead from just out of nowhere. He was a big dude, full of life. If you visit Owl's Nest, you'll get what I mean. Him and Mr. Halloway were two-of-a-kind. Anyways, one day the town just got the news that Ol' Howard had died after falling of a fishing boat out on the sea. No body, no nothing. And he was a pretty damn good swimmer, too. What makes it weirder is the fact that the one with him that time was, well, none other than his good buddy James Halloway. You can bet that soured the relationship between those two families. Howard's daughter even claimed he killed him."

Lazily, the smoke from the cigarette drifted ever upwards, heading towards the sky that was slowly turning the color of evening orange. Twilight was creeping in, and with it, the town itself was slowly starting to fall asleep. Even out here, on the campus, one could practically feel the time move slower.

There was a mask of reminiscence on Jake's face as he continued.

"So, old Howard McLampet dies and the family fortune goes to crap. The workers try their best, but the saw mill ain't just functioning like it used to," he explained. "That's the time most of the families moved out of here... except, some didn't. See, some of the workers there, family men supporting their wives and kids, just up and disappeared. No hide no hair was seen of them almost like the earth had swallowed them. That's when some old folks in this town started saying that 'The woods took them' and told others to leave well enough alone. You can imagine that sorta thing got even more workers spooked and they packed their bags and left. Made Road's End into a nigh ghost town in about ten years."

It was easy to see what Jake meant. From the campus, one could see the silhouette of the town drawn against the dark shapes of the forest and the mountains beyond them. Even when viewed like that, it was a somewhat sad sight - a place where forgotten people of a forgotten town struggled to make their living even if it got harder every day, year by year.

"The mill was gone and the McLampet family fought hard and dirty for the inheritance... but it never got settled and all fell to ruin. See, there were four siblings. Three brothers and one sister. Eldest brothers said 'screw it' and skipped town, claiming someone was after his life. The middle siblings, the daughter and the son, laughed until they wound up dead within one year of each other. Car accident and a medical complication thanks to surgery. The youngest son was poised to inherit it all... except he, too, went and disappeared. You can see the problem, right? Whoops, no one to inherit the lumber rights. Now the only things left are the rotting mill, the dark woods and the old McLampet mansion where the youngest sibling's widow and her daughter still live, holding onto hope that he'll return."

With a bit of a sad face, Jake took one more drag from his cigarette, blowing out a cloud of smoke.

"... Not that anyone's seen the daughter in ages. Heck, even she might have gone and wandered off into the forest, never to return," Jake concluded the story. "Last time she was seen, she was just a year old babe. And that was fifteen years ago."

Elaine Winters & Momoi Hisa

”Are you a traveling man, sir? Seen a guy about six feet tall, I guess maybe a bit over 185 centimeters, dark blond hair, thinks he’s funnier than he is?”
    Once more Rosencrantz fell to silence, staring off to the distance while keeping his finger still lifted. His mouth hung open just a little bit, moved, almost like he was soundlessly whispering, reciting words that only played in his head. Suddenly his head twitched just a little, uncomfortably. Whatever was the reason for that, it seemed to free him from his reverie as those tired eyes turned to look back at Elaine. But... they weren't looking at her. They were looking past her.

"Rested in a motel once. Some hundred-and-eighty miles to the south. Was reading the funnies on the local newspaper when my coffee cup fell over as a man stormed into the reception where I was," he started spouting out of nowhere. "A tall piece of Midwestern wood... rough, but not unpleasant. Was looking for a woman... I think. Might have been another man. But... the receptionist didn't know. How could she? The TV had the answers, as it always does. 'Road's End, Road's End' it repeated and the man took the advice. Last time I saw him."

As he had talked, Rosencrantz's gaze had lowered, lowered and lowered until he had ended up staring at his own shoes. Then, looking a bit puzzled himself, he lifted his gaze again, tilting his head at Elaine like he was just as confused by his own words as they probably were.

"... Wore size eleven combat boots. Well-worn, caked in dirt."

Quote Originally Posted by Momoi
    "Maybe some other time. I assume you came here for a reason and won't be leaving until you finish your business, so we should still have the chance to talk?"
    Slowly, Rosencrantz blinked. Then he shook his head out of nowhere, like a dog drying itself. When he stopped, his expression was back to normal and he blinked rapidly. Had he gone into some sort of trance before? Perhaps? Right now he looked just as normal as he had before. Well, it wasn't exactly normal but what he had just said to Elaine had been weird, even for him.

"Oh, yes. I intend to sell my wares to the local sheriff and his men," Rosencrantz explained. "A man of the law always needs a good boot or two. Maybe some ceremonial leather shoes in case of an event? I might as well try my luck, right?"

He chuckled pleasantly.

"On another note; how would we recognize Gildenstern if we saw him? And what business did he have in this town, anyways?"
    "Oh, you will know if you see him. He's like that," Rosencrantz said in his typical vague way. "For he is gentle Guildenstern, always near but not quite there. I... I think there was something else, too, but I forget. Ask me some other time."

"And if you must know. There is no cuckoo here. There is only you."
    That elicited a laugh from the feeble man. It was a raspy, wheezing sound, but a happy sound nonetheless. With eyes full of warmth, he looked at Momoi like an old man would have looked at child, even though there was not that much difference in their ages.

"Ah, almost, but not quite," he spoke. "To put it more in the old format... Yes."

Then, the man known as Rosencrantz spoke a poem.

"See Him in the woods standing tall,

and you may hear a cuckoo's call,

but know that there is no cuckoo,

for in the end there's only you."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; March 31st, 2020 at 02:32 PM.

Elaine Winters

I stared awkwardly as Mr. Rosencranz seemed to kind of wig out for a minute, maybe he was trying to remember and this was how he went through it.

Still, that weird head twitching stuff wigs me out, dude.

"Rested in a motel once. Some hundred-and-eighty miles to the south. Was reading the funnies on the local newspaper when my coffee cup fell over as a man stormed into the reception where I was. A tall piece of Midwestern wood... rough, but not unpleasant. Was looking for a woman... I think. Might have been another man. But... the receptionist didn't know. How could she? The TV had the answers, as it always does. 'Road's End, Road's End' it repeated and the man took the advice. Last time I saw him."

I frowned, so he'd been seen around here, and was coming up this way, or maybe this is someone completely different. Still, it was better then what I'd had before.

"... Wore size eleven combat boots. Well-worn, caked in dirt."

Certainly sounded like him, anyway.

"Thank you, sir," I said sweetly, "I really need to find that guy."

Still, 'Road's End, Road's End', the TV holds the answers?

The hell?

I mulled over my thoughts as Rosencrantz explained he was here to peddle his wares to the local law, boots, dress shoes and the like.

Made some sense, I supposed.

Then, in response to Hisa, he began reciting some sort of poem.

'Him' in the woods, 'In the end, there's only you'.

I frowned, deeply.

Creepy.

I eyed the woods around us, noting the Sun's slow descent, and feeling a bit ill at ease.

"What's that about, anyway? Some kind of local story? You could tell us on the way down, if you're in need of a ride."

Blog Entries
    Prushka

A painful sound.

For a moment Prushka felt nothing but a blinding flash of pain as something hard, so very hard, collided with her left cheek. The small girl was sent tumbling to the floor from the strength of the strike. The room around her flickered, the distant sunset outside grew redder and she could taste something metallic and unpleasant, scary even, in her mouth. Horrible stinging sensation and numbness followed, taking over her face and making it hard to open one's mouth. It was going to bruise, it was going to swell. It had been both furiously powerful and sickeningly calculated, a hit that would break nothing but leave a definite mark.

And it had come from the baton of Elizaveta Vyraj --- The girl now towering above Prushka, absolute fury blazing in her eyes.

"You have nothing real to show me you toy, you freak, you thing pretending to be human!" Elizaveta spat out. "You and all the rest... you are sickening to watch! I want to strangle each and every one of you miserable heaps of flesh! How dare you act like you are more than hollow carcasses prancing around, thinking that makes you humans!?"

The face of the girl with flaxen hair had twisted in a mask of pure rage and disgust... but her eyes were covered in tears. It was the very definition of a somebody wracked with thousand emotions and thoughts raging through their mind, only to lash out at the world since they knew not how else to respond.

"I will not acknowledge it...! I WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE IT!" Elizaveta roared. "Fakes, dirty fakes all of you! You do nothing but act out the script this world hands to you, and call yourselves real! I can see it, Oh Lord can I see it! That freedom and capacity to make your own choices you all parade around... it is nothing but a lip-service by husks with nothing inside! There is nothing inside any of you! The only thing... the only thing... I'm the only thing that...!"

With almost manic look in her eyes, Elizaveta stared at her own hands and the baton she had used to strike Prushka with. It was a crazed look, not all there, with a flash of clarity within it that seemed to realize what she had done and become horrified by it. Shivering like she was about to fall down from hypothermia, Elizaveta's gaze returned Prushka, and for a moment... just for a moment... the taller girl looked lost, helpless, confused and alone.

Those glazed over eyes didn't see Prushka there.

They saw someone else from her memories.

"I.. I did not mean... Oh my God are you alright ¨̨̟̪͍̫͍̌̽̄̎͒͐̌͡-̷̡̩̞̼̬͑̄̑̕_̶̸̙̲͚̻̤͈͓͎̉̾̚-̩̻͒ͬͫͫ¨̴̪̺̞̪̺͌͗ͪ͂̂ ?"

------ But it was just a fleeting moment.

One blink, and that memory was gone. Instead what Prushka saw were the dead, cold, crazed eyes of a girl barely keeping her lunacy at bay, unable to recognize those she saw as real, thinking beings with a consciousness of their own. It was a girl trapped in a world of furniture and dolls, a gigantic doll house where she was the only one playing with this those.

It was a nightmare of existential dread that refused to let go of Elizaveta Vyraj.

"... Never talk to me again, thing," Elizaveta hissed pure venom. "You can never taker her place. None of you can. That's why I know you all are nothing more than fakes."

With that, the taller girl spun around on her heels and stormed out of the kitchen, disappearing into the depths of the dormitory.

Prushka: Friendship Rank Raised!

Last edited by Verg Avesta; January 17th, 2019 at 09:46 PM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Pool – Gym
    Evening Phase
    Indeed, It Remains Sunny

I have not even taken a look at the players, yet I already feel it. So much pointless hostility. Well, hostility in and by itself is pointless.

I can already tell: I’m not going to like this. Badminton…well, I remember playing it once or twice. I do not remember the circumstances, which means that, like almost all other things, they were not important.

I cannot claim to be good at it. I cannot claim to be good at anything.

As for the players…
    Spoiler:
    I believe her name is Lucille. Looks like the prim and proper lady is getting a little carried away. Well, as long as it makes her happy. Does this make her happy? The people immersed in the lie can be so confusing at times.

On the other side…
    Spoiler:
    …most impressive. Both aesthetically and athletically, just looking at the way they move on the field.
    Spoiler:
    Unfortunately, there’s the famous actress, Mercedes West, attached to those legs. Truly a shame.

I have nothing in particular against Mercedes West, or against actors in general. I’m just wary. They are, after all, professional liars. Yes, I’d rather have nothing to do with Mercedes West.
    Spoiler:
    But, really, it’s such a shame.

I watch the match in silence. It is somewhat curious that Miss Lucille is the one relying the most on feints and controlling the exchange, instead of the actress. However, it is clear Mercedes West is no amateur at this. Even if she were, her physical prowess surpasses my expectations. That is my fault, for conceiving expectations in the first place.

Yes, for all the energy and intensity displayed in front of me, the world before my eyes becomes grayer and grayer as the match approaches its climax. Because it’s too bright. And that makes it, to me, just another reminder.

I can’t do it.

I can’t be like these people.

I glance at Pyry and Ubon. Despite their uncharacteristic silence, they are watching animatedly. They are inspired—they are “pumped up”—by the immense athletic effort taking place before us. It almost makes me shake my head.

This whole evening—this whole charade—rings hollower and hollower by the second.

I am not a “jack-of-all-trades” because I’m at least competent at everything.

I am a “jack-of-all-trades” because I cannot excel at anything.

Excellence requires dedication. Dedication requires passion, a sense of purpose.

How could I feel any of that in this world mired in falsity?

It is the same reason everything always ends up falling apart, no matter where I go. It is not the stupid rumors, nor the regrettable coincidences. Sooner or later, everybody figures it out.

That I cannot pretend to live in their world.

How can I be like all these people, gleefully doing their best like actors and actresses performing while neck-deep in bog? Like hungry dogs fighting for a piece of meat drawn on paper?

I am not wrong. The actions of hollow people in a hollow world are equally hollow; that is wrong. That you are—! That I am—!

The world is wrong. It has to be.

“No.”

A painful-sounding whisper escapes my throat, pointless and unbidden. My knuckles white hold on to the sketchpad like a lifeline.

No, that’s not quite right. I could be wrong. Like a tiny, crippled crow hatchling pretending to be a cuckoo. I could be wrong, and the truth I saw that night might not be the real truth; maybe the world is right and it is I who is wrong, and maybe with some help I could be just like—

No!

No. No. Just, no.

Even if that were true, even if I was wrong, this place, these people—these colors—, they cannot make me right. Ade—Adelaide was just a figment of my imagination. My utmost desire, rising recklessly to the surface. Regardless of who is right or who is wrong, regardless of whether there is even a right and a wrong, the fact remains that, right now, everything is just so—

“—colorless.”

Vaguely aware that the match ended at some point, and that some among the peanut gallery are clapping at the two gladiators of the racket, I turn my back to the all-too-bright falsity and leave for my bedroom.

My arms hold tightly to the sketchpad. My mind holds tightly to the only thing that still pushes me forward.

After all, there is only one thing that matters.

I will find you.”

It comes out, my utmost, sole desire; the faintest murmur.

It is not a cry for help.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It takes some time to recover.

When I finally pull myself up and lean against a chair, it's been long enough that I'm nearly overcome by a bout of dizziness - the sort you get from rising too quickly after being seated for a long time. It's quiet, here and downstairs, even though I entered the kitchen backed by the background buzz of several teenagers chattering excitedly in the common room.

Quiet is good. Maybe nobody heard her except me.

"...ow."

Still sorta hurts.

The fridge has a freezer. In the drawer are some cold packs, the kind that go in coolers. That'll solve the swelling, but not the attention.

I take a peek downstairs. There's no sign of people. What, did they all go watch a badminton match or something?

Whatever the case, it's a blessing I won't turn down.

I pull that bulky metal thing from my backpack and secure the ice pack on one inner side using a spare strap. Then I put it on over my head. It sinks down, too big for me by far, and nearly covers my eyes.

"..."

Still smells like home.

The common room is a mess. People must have had fun here. They've coated it in cheer.

The boy's halls are empty. I try to glide across from one side to the other like I did upstairs, and almost fall over.

I try again, and make it to the end.

The school yard is empty. No interruptions on the way out. A bright pink scooter and ugly black helmet aren't enough to draw anyone's gaze here, where a bit of madness seems to be expected.

My feet get tired after a while. How many times did I use this thing in the year I've had it? Perhaps once or twice. I nearly forgot it has an engine.

With a flick of a switch, the electric motor whirs and carries me slowly away from Pinefall.

Then, the town. Road's End.

"...ow."

I do as I'd planned. I ride, carried by the salty breeze blowing in from the ocean. It stings a little, but not enough to bring tears to my eyes.

I go right past the junk yard piled high with scrap, and the squat hospital.

Over the road and the train tracks.

Past cozy looking homes and a cheerfully flashing diner.

Past the too-small sheriff's office and a lazy looking gas station, its employees staring into the sunset, chewing and thinking.

Past far less people than I'd have expected, most not giving me a second or third glance. "One of them Pinefall kids," they're no doubt thinking.

Along the beach, finally, staring at the ocean, the wind pulling me towards it now, gently.

As I approach Pinefall again, a melancholic harmonica tune drifts down from the lighthouse, welcoming me back to a new home.

I'm back, I guess.

Just then, the scooter's battery dies, and I have to go the rest of the way on foot.

There might have been people now, but I don't spare them a glance. I don't look up until the room door is locked and closed behind me, and I'm lying on my bed staring at the ceiling while the sun sinks below the horizon.

"Ow... oh."

It's swollen, just a bit now. If I talked I'd have a bit of a lisp. What do they call this? A shiner?

Elizaveta sure can swing that thing around, huh.

"...why are you all so awful?"

Asking his helmet doesn't produce any results. What am I, crazy?

There's no need to think about it. No need to get frustrated, or confused. No need to tear up or cry, or...

She's just... just...

Just another human.

The night is long in the tooth before I finally drift to a fitful sleep on a bed that's too big for me. My dreams are occasionally interrupted by a flash of pain from my cheek... and the faint, nostalgic image of a smiling person whose face I've long since forgotten.
    Last edited by Bloble; January 17th, 2019 at 11:18 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Wait, you're a jerk!?"

"Err, no offence. Just that... um, you don't seem like a jerk, Anna? If anything, you look kinda cool."
    Another unbidden grin crept on Anna’s face. The brat had spunk alright. Seeing his seemingly traditional upbringing clash so directly with his curiosity was kind of endearing in a way. And he still had that childlike naivety that kids always had, bright-eyed and hopeful. Though between his upbringing and his curiosity… the curious side seemed to win out a whole lot more than the other side.

He might be quite the troublemaker, honestly.

“None taken. Though calling all older siblings jerks is pretty…” The red-eyed girl gave a quick shrug. “Well, I suppose it isn’t a hundred percent incorrect from the perspective of the younger brother.”

"P-plus, you're not nearly as bad of a jerk as my bro!

Just today he hid my game console just 'cause I don't go out to play with friends! It's not fair!"

"... I don't even got friends in this podunk town."
    For a moment, Anna’s were eyes filled with confusion. The term “console” had clearly been what had thrown the Estonian girl out of the loop. A second later, her confusion was replaced by a rather hesitant look, almost as if she didn’t “know” the answer, but rather tried to figure it out via approximation and gut feeling.

Well, in all honesty, there was no “almost if” in that assessment. It was exactly what Anna had done.

“Game console…? Oh, one of those fiddly handheld things with moving men.”

Giving a shake of her head, Anna moved on to the other, more easily understandable, parts of what Shane had just said.

“Not a lot of kids your age in town? I suppose so, otherwise, the school would have never been closed in the first place.”

Her eyes quickly flickered over from Shane in the direction of Pinefall High, which loomed in the distance.

“In any case, I think he is just trying to look out for you but… How about hanging out with me from time to time? Since I’m new around here, you could show me around the town. It can’t all be that boring, right? Has to be something interesting to do here, even if it is a podunk town.”

In reality, it might not really be the best outcome for the kid (at least from his brother’s point of view). It would definitely make more sense for him to make friends around his own age, but… Anna for sure didn’t see any kids running around the place at the moment. And he was quite clearly pretty darn lonely, so it had to be better than nothing.

“And who knows. If you go to your brother and tell him that you made a new friend, he might give you back your… err... console, right?”
    Last edited by Mellon; September 9th, 2019 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Owner(?)
    "Oh, sure! Cathie, water, now!"
    For that time being, Aleen was in the middle of choking on her coffee. I’m sure she would’ve been if I didn’t help her, but me asking for water would speed up her recovery.by a significant margin. This continued until eventually “Cathie” showed up with a glass of cold water.

“Thank you. Aleen drink this down before you hurt yourself.”

Upon inspection of Cathie, I could see that she looked similarly to the Owner if only a bit younger. Similar to the Owner, her mother (?), in looks and appearance minus one detail. She was absolutely angry at Aleen.

"Euuuughhh~! I thought I was gonna die!"
    “Are you alright Aleen?”

Now that Aleen is done not dying, I could think about the cause of the issue. I really need to break some of Aleen’s bad habits sooner rather than later. I can come up with a few ways to solve it immediately, but some of the solutions would only work so long as I’m around to skillfully manipulate the conversation. The permanent solutions will take some covert emotional hardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Owner(?)
    "Err, try not to take a bite out of the pie just yet, love. It's piping hot as well."
    “Or she could always blow on it before taking a bite. I’m sure she’ll be fine that way.”

I give Cathie an apologetic smile.

“Sorry about making you rush out like that. My friend seemed to be enjoying her coffee a bit too much. You think you could forgive her?”

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “And who knows. If you go to your brother and tell him that you made a new friend, he might give you back your… err... console, right?”
    "R-really!? You'd help me out? Sweet!" Shane asked, face practically glowing, and then did a little fist-pump. "That should get even him off my back. If I have a friend and if I have stuff to do, no way can he complain anymore. 'Sides, what does he know? He spends all day working on that stupid thing and never plays with me anymore... doesn't even have time to cook..."

As if to emphasize his words, Shane stomach let out a complaint of a grumble. That seemed to snap him out of his muttering, as a look of surprise rose to his face, followed by a sheepish grin as he scratched the back of his head. It was the look of someone who had been found out, and they had no choice but to admit they were guilty... of being hungry.

"Um, anyways... Thanks, Anna," Shane said. "You know, you're not at all like what my bro said. He said all you Pinefall people were gonna be scary and dangerous and I should stay away from you lot... but that's not true at all!"

The boy enthusiastically gave thumbs up to the older girl.

"If anything, you're kinda awesome!"
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; January 18th, 2019 at 08:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Sorry about making you rush out like that. My friend seemed to be enjoying her coffee a bit too much. You think you could forgive her?”
    The girl behind the counter switched the target of her glare from Aleen to Vier, and for a moment, she refused to say anything. A silence grew by the second and even the owner seemed to feel slightly awkward in the presence of this staring contest. But the moment Avery opened her mouth to say something, most likely to admonish the girl... the copperhead actually talked.

"... Whatever," she scoffed. "Not my problem. I brewed the coffee after all."

Was... was that joke? Or simply apathetic refusal to take part in the conversation?

Whatever the case, the girl walked back to the kitchen, the door swinging close behind her.

"Sheez! What's her problem?" Aleen grumbled, wiping her mouth. "Totes rude!"

Avery Walker let out a slightly anxious laugh, rolling her eyes at the closed kitchen door.

"Sorry about my daughter. She's... at that age. You know, right?" She asked form the two. "Doesn't listen to her parents, doesn't listen to her teachers, both listless and rebellious..."

The owner of the diner heaved a sigh.

"I wonder what's the problem with youngsters these days, really...? Thinking they can get by with just a shrug and a 'whatever'..."

New Person Met!

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Momoi Hisa

So Elaine is looking for someone as well, someone who is probably in this town...I wonder if I could help her --- No, the question is if she would accept me. Will I ever be able to tell her? Will I ever be able to tell anyone? I know not of the consequences, the things it could lead to, it scares me...I don't want to be alone; yet it so frustrating, like this it will be barely different from behing on my own. I don't want to pretend, to put on faces with no genuine feelings behind...Now that I was given the opportunity, that I'm so close to people, it feels so scary and difficult ---

No, this won't do. I should be paying attention to the man. It is still early, I shouldn't be impatient, and I can think more about a solution later.

I wonder what these 'rituals' were about. Was he searching through his memory for information? Was he just focusing? Clearly, he can't just be mad.

The fact that he was planning on staying gave me a sense of relief; though I've yet to find out where exactly. Already expecting some twisted and confusing answer...

And then...

Quote Originally Posted by "Rosencrantz
    "See Him in the woods standing tall,

and you may hear a cuckoo's call,

but know that there is no cuckoo,

for in the end there's only you."

His expression...It does mean something to him after all. But how much does he know...Well, even if he has nothing to do with Jack, he should still be able to share a lot of valuable information. I took a mental note of the poem; but just in case, I'll make sure to write it down somewhere once we get back to the dorms.

"Thanks," I said in a soft, quiet tone, "for sharing the whole poem, I'll make sure to remember it. I believe...there is a lot more you could tell me about, when the time comes."

I noticed Elaine looking around, eyeing the sky; she looked slightly upset. Clearly, this turn of events wasn't exactly what either of us expected, and I couldn't talk to her quite as much as I had originally planned...Hell, I couldn't even treat her to anything.

Then I realized what she was looking at. The sun was going down, should probably get going soon if we want to get back to the dorms in time.

But before that...

"Where will you be staying?" I ask, turning my gaze back towards Rosencrantz, "And no riddles this time; even though the town is small, finding you without clear directions would be difficult."

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Um, anyways... Thanks, Anna.”

"You know, you're not at all like what my bro said. He said all you Pinefall people were gonna be scary and dangerous and I should stay away from you lot... but that's not true at all!"
    “He isn’t really that wrong. Most of the folks who came are relatively fine. Just a bunch of weirdos, honestly.” Anna’s voice took on a subtle note of seriousness. “Others seem a fair bit more… hostile. So don’t just go around bothering every newcomer you see, eh?”

“At the very least, don’t be surprised if a few of them end up being ass… jerks, I mean.”

"If anything, you're kinda awesome!"
    “Well thank you very much for your compliment. I do try my very best.”

Judging by the rumble that echoed from Shane’s stomach (coupled with his embarrassed grin), the kid was rather hungry. And from the looks of it, his brother was too preoccupied with one thing or another to cook food. A workaholic of some description no doubt. While she herself wasn’t that hungry…

Aah, it's not as if I have anything better to do anyway.

“Hey, Shane. Wanna grab some food?” Anna’s hand went into the pocket of her red-white jacket, before pulling out a couple of bills. “I have exactly… eight dollars and a quarter, I think?”

“Anything we can get for that?”

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Pancakes and bacon!"

The answer came almost immediately, like a shot from a gun. Shane was leaning forward, his eyes sparkling and his whole body trembling at the thought. However, just as quickly as he had reacted, the boy realized that he was being a bit forward. Reigning in his excitement, he coughed into his balled-up fist very matter-of-factly, trying to recover what he had just done.

"That's, um, I mean, that's alright," Shane said. "You don't have to worry 'bout it. I think we have something to eat at home. You don't need to use your money on me..."

He wasn't being exactly convincing with how he seemed to drool at the mere idea of this 'pancakes & bacon' combo.

"Still, erm, if you want... Yeah, if you want, I could show you where the A.D. Diner is!" Shane suddenly piped up, clearly getting an idea. "Soooo, if you want, you can then buy me food as a payment. How's that?"

Grinning from ear-to-ear, Shane eagerly awaited for Anna's response.

Kids - Always finding loopholes in their own logic.

Elaine Winters & Momoi Hisa

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "What's that about, anyway? Some kind of local story? You could tell us on the way down, if you're in need of a ride."
    "An old legend. It speaks of the Disembodied Man. It's a sort of.. ah, local folktale that has been passed round for a while. Of the man in the woods. Guildenstern was rather intrigued by it, asked about it a lot. From the locals, from me, from the natives," Rosencrantz explained. "Of course... the natives are no longer here. Only their blood, and only a pint-full of that. But he knows, he knows..."

Undulating his head back and forth, so very slowly, like he was hearing a silent rhythm, Rosencrantz turned his attention away from Elaine. Either he hard ignored her question about needing a ride, or then he had simply not registered in his ears. Instead his face turned towards the setting sun, to the west, where the crashing waves met the rocky cliffs far, far away, on the other side of the town. The shadows in the woods had grown long and harsh under the setting sun, and most likely it would not be long till the forest itself would grow dark.

"Thanks, for sharing the whole poem, I'll make sure to remember it. I believe...there is a lot more you could tell me about, when the time comes."
    "Perhaps. Perhaps not. I'm... forgetful, at times. There are times I know and there are times I don't know," the pale man answered. "When the time you speak of comes, we will see."

"Where will you be staying? And no riddles this time; even though the town is small, finding you without clear directions would be difficult."
    This time it was Rosencrantz's turn to look at the two of them like they had said something strange or confusing. He tilted his head to the side, trying to decipher the meaning of the black-haired girl's words. Then, and very simply, he went and answered:

"Well... the Owl's Nest Hotel, of course," he said. "There aren't any other place to stay in."

It made sense... but somehow it also felt a bit like a letdown.

"As for your offer of a ride, I'm afraid I must decline," Rosencrantz continued, turning to Elaine this time. "I want to stretch my legs just a bit more, and I think I saw a trail leading a bit further in. I think I shall see where that leads me... at least for a while."

Having said that, the sickly-looking man took a better grip of his cane and lifted up the suitcase next to him with ease. Indeed, his movement didn't seem all that bothered by the fact that he was hunched over or that he had the countenance of a man who'd be blown over by the softest breeze. With a slight bow of his head, the man bid Elaine and Momoi a goodbye, a clacking sound filling the air as his medical cane hit the forest floor over and over again. He didn't exactly fit the environment around him, but watching that man slowly disappear towards the shadows of the large Douglas firs... well, there was something poetic about it.

"... Oh. Yes," Rosencrantz suddenly said and stopped, lifting up his index finger. "Something I think I had to mention you. At least... I believe so."

Those sickly, piercing eyes turned to look at the girls.

"... There is an impostor among the people of Pinefall."

That was it.

That was all.

Wind howled a bit, shadows warbled, and the scent of wormwood because tangible. Both Elaine and Momoi found themselves shielding their eyes from the sudden storm of leaves that came with the wind.

And when they saw again... they were alone at the overlook.

Elaine Winters & Momoi Hisa: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    "Still, erm, if you want... Yeah, if you want, I could show you where the A.D. Diner is!"

"Soooo, if you want, you can then buy me food as a payment. How's that?"
    “Hah, sure. Let's go with that.” Anna stuffed the cash that she had been counting moments ago back in her pocket. “I felt some bad vibes emitting from the cafeteria, so it's probably good to know at least one place with decent food.

In any case, shooting Shane down at this point would be kind of an asshole move anyway. Considering how exuberantly the red-haired kid was acting, to the point of almost shaking with excitement, she had no choice but to go along with him. Though his behavior was creating some mighty large expectations on Anna’s end for those pancakes.

…or maybe Shane was just that overactive. It was hard to tell, honestly.

“Right. Lead the way, then. How far is it?”