Page 28 of 244 FirstFirst ... 18232627282930333878128 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Momoi Hisa
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 07.09.1994
    Weather: Clear Skies

They...were laughing at me.

The world suddenly felt distant, sounds became dull, my vision blurred. The pent up frustration and sadness from the day hit me all at once, and for a moment, I just felt like letting it all out; sharing my pain with them, make them experience overwhelming sorrow...

No, I...couldn't possibly do something like that...

The sudden surge of emotions affected me more than it should have. I was accustomed to this feelings, I knew how to deal with it, how to supress or shape my emotions for my own benefits...

Yet now it was hard to control. While I could keep my composure, my voice became slightly wobbly, expression slightly melancholic...

"A---ahaha, I'm glad you guys liked the joke...W-what can I say, I...do have some expertise when it comes to storytelling."

I should leave.

"A-anyways, I better go now, need to...prepare for the music event and whatnot..."

Without really waiting for a reaction or an answer, I quickly stood up, and strode away from the table. Then...

"W-why...This shouldn't be..."

I felt tears flowing down my cheeks. I wasn't really crying, nor did I feel anything that I haven't felt before; it was the same endless ocean of sorrow that has always been there, filling my heart. Yet, I could not regain control, could not stop the tears from flowing...

Eventually, the tears stopped. I calmed down. I made my way towards the stage, hoping that the performance would go well...
    Last edited by Cheetose; February 2nd, 2019 at 06:51 PM.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Dove & Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Oh, uhm, thanks for the offer, but I'm good. Thank you, Pyry. Flying is just really not my thing."
    The boy blinked, for a moment looking a bit relieved.

"Oh, alright. Suit yourself," he said and flashed Elise a grin. "At least one of us has enough common sense to just be satisfied with swimming. Plus, despite how light John and Ubon are, I think even my arm's getting sorta tired..."

Then, looking like he just swallowed a frog, Pyry hurried to add:

"N-not that I think you're heavy or anything! Nothing like that!"

Well, that was a fine way to put one's foot in one's mouth.

Meanwhile, John Dove had taken his stance, ready to shoot Ubon up towards the air once more. Looking like she was vibrating out of excitement, Ubon waded the water and came up to John. She smiled at him and took hold of his shoulders for a moment, steadying herself. Then she put her foot onto the waiting hands, the human springboard that John had created. Up this close, one could see that even Ubon herself was strained like a coiled spring ready to burst, amazing amount of dexterous power hidden in her body ready to unleash all their might.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Come.”
    "Time for a space-shot, Cap'n!" Ubon gleefully proclaimed, exhaling air out through her lips. "See you on the flipside!"

And then John's throw began.

For a moment, the three students of Pinefall saw nothing more than surge of water shooting upwards, rising up thanks to the combined power of John's surprisingly powerful toss and Ubon's body zooming towards the sky. This pillar of water then turned into droplets that rained down upon them in a refreshing shower of sea water that had the hint of summer's last vestiges. From somewhere, clear smell of pure oxygen and ozone floated into their noses and for a moment, it seemed that everything grew very vibrant and blue under the light of the setting sun.

And then, up in the air...

... Ubon Sĕeklęun spread her imaginary wings.

Extending her arms to the sides and back, Ubon floated backwards and into a backflip that was as graceful as it was beautiful. For a moment, the girl seemed almost unrecognizable in the air, as her birdbrained and chaotic nature was transformed into something resembling the beauty of a cloud sculpture. Time itself seemed to come to a stop for a moment, leaving Ubon hanging int he air, eyes towards the sky and back towards the sea, arching her back so that she became a perfect crescent.

And, for whatever the reason... colors of turquoise and green seemed to bloom across the sky where Ubon danced.

In that moment the sky, the sea, and Ubon Sĕeklęun became one.

----- And then it was over.

A powerful splash of water hit them all, a small tidal wave, as Ubon dove head first into the water like a knife. Then, with an innocent and energetic-as-the-sun laughter bubbling from the water, the girl broke the surface again, jumping up with all the force in her legs. She was grinning from ear to ear, looking like she had never had so much fun.

... And perhaps she hadn't.

To enjoy simple things much... it was clear that Ubon hadn't had much joy in whatever life she came from.

"I FRICKIN' LOVE THIS SCHOOL!" Ubon screamed out.

Even Pyry Leijonamieli, who had been awkward thanks to Elise's presence, burst into laughter and started clapping.

That attitude that Ubon had was truly infectious.

... And in a sense, very beautiful.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

John Dove: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elise Pelltier: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "Yeah, sure you would. So far you've been practically looking for someone strong and handsome to come along and pampe---"
    I raised an eyebrow at Aleen’s comment. When have I ever given that impression out? If there was anything I wanted out of my partner, it would be their dependability just like my old partner. Someone, I could trust my life with without question. However, I won’t deny that I would enjoy it if they pampered me as well. Before I could see anything, Tonkori made his way back over here.

He’s a smart and caring one… The second, he thought we going to fight, he ran over to defuse it by licking Aleen in the face repeatedly until she calmed down. She eventually got Tonkori to settle down a little bit by scratching his ear. I was happy to let what Aleen said to go without issue, but.

"... Sorry... I don't mean to insult you. But... it just comes out, y'know. Can't help it. You're a good gal, so I don't wanna talk down on you but... It just happens. Even if I don't want it to. I can't help it. So... can you please try to bear with me?"'
    Aleen, however, thought she needed to make it up to me. I stopped cleaning her up and sat down next to her. Our shoulders brushing each other every so often. I looked Aleen straight in the eye.

“I know you don’t. I know you’re straightforward and honest to a fault. If something surprises you, you’re really surprised. You could say that your heart is on your sleeve for everyone to see which causes you to stick out. So I don’t mind being with you at all.”

I glanced away from Aleen, and looked distantly past everyone having fun. Not seeing anyone or anything in particular.

“After all, the one who needs to beared with the most is me. Vier Wolff, drop distance: 211. One of the highest drop distances in the school and for good reason...”

I didn’t elaborate past that. I didn’t feel like dragging Aleen into my part of the world. A bright world where it was possible to people with secret technology and esoteric techniques. The shadow of that world was just as deep where people were kidnapped, used, or killed in cold blood. I shook myself out of the morose thoughts in my head.

“So how about this Aleen? If you’ll put up with me, I’ll put up with you even if you somehow forget me.”

I gave Aleen a serious look while I waited for her answer. Eventually, the heavy mood was dispelled by Prushka yelling dramatically in our direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "This is your victory, King! But soon I'll reclaim that puppy from your vile clutches!"
    I made a small laugh at Prushka’s declaration. Feeling that the heavy mood was lifted a little bit, I couldn’t help but make a joke.

“Though I might have to help Prushka again to save Tonkori from your ‘vile clutches’ after all she did call me a hero earlier.”

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Vier Wolff

"Breakfast. Tomorrow. As thanks for the salve. Alright?"
    Subaru seemed quite surprised by this out-of-nowhere demand... but then smiled happily and nodded so that the various accessories she wore on her hair jingled happily.

"S-sure! It's a promise!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “So how about this Aleen? If you’ll put up with me, I’ll put up with you even if you somehow forget me.”
    For a moment, Aleen stared at Vier with an odd expression. Then, just for a second, she chortled with a laughter and blushed momentarily. Gently nudging the other girl with her elbow, Aleen spread some of that warmth within her to Vier and shook her head - not to deny Vier's words, of course not, but to... give them her own spin.

"... Yeah. I mean, you're already putting up with my stupid crap, so... so I'll do the same for you," she said and chuckled. "But don't think I can just forget someone who tries blackmailing me during the first day they met! Just so you know, I'm still kinda miffed 'bout that so a fat chance I'll ever forget!"

She extended her index finger and poked Aleen's head with it, all the while grinning.

"So too bad! I'll be remembering you whether you want it or not!"

"This is your victory, King! But soon I'll reclaim that puppy from your vile clutches!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Though I might have to help Prushka again to save Tonkori from your ‘vile clutches’ after all she did call me a hero earlier.”
    Aleen laughed again, but this time it was full-on faux-evil-villain laugh. She raised her hand and wiggled her fingers like legs of a spider, aiming them at the dog curled up on her lap.

"Vile they might be, but they are the best hands when it comes for scratches~!" Aleen declared, assaulting Tonkori once again with pure pampering. "Just try to get on my level, girls!"

Subaru couldn't help it. She giggled a the scene, demurely hiding her mouth with her sleeve. However... something still seemed to bother her, if just for a little bit. While Aleen was focusing on her dog, Subaru turned back towards Prushka - and while she spoke only to her, her voice was loud enough for Vier and Aileen to catch it too.

"... Still, I was completely mistaken," Subaru started, looking somewhat quizzically at Prushka. "Since you were always with him, I thought that he must have belonged to you. Does that mean he has been loaned to you, or that you know his owner, then?"

... That's strange.

The words Subaru said were spoken with that usual cheerful and somewhat shy way of hers.

But their contents... were odd.

Like a piece of a jigsaw puzzle that didn't quite match.

"After all, I do not think he is simply running free with no leash on him," Subaru continued, shadows of the evening sun covering her face momentarily. "That would be too dangerous, would it not?"

And when those shadows passed, when those eyes revealed themselves once more...

... Something was wrong.

For they were eyes glazed over, broken and unnatural, almost like insanity had lived within them without anyone noticing.

"... Is it not just common sense for beasts like him to have their owner keeping them in check?"

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    End’s Beach
    Evening Phase
    Clear Skies

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon Sĕeklęun
    "I FRICKIN' LOVE THIS SCHOOL!"
    “Huh. And here I thought she’d complain I didn’t throw her far enough.”

John exhales loudly; working on ignoring the consequences the hollow world tries to impose on him for daring to defy its rules. A brief glance lets him notice Pyry’s enthusiasm, the heavy atmosphere with Elise easily dispelled by Ubon’s…well, everything.

It brings a chuckle to John’s lips.

That girl has come to know freedom, and now revels in it. John Dove does not judge, and Ubon Sĕeklęun is no exception to this. If anything, hers might be the right way to live in the hollow world, or so he may have come to think.

However, he shakes his head. He cannot follow—or rather, cannot allow himself to follow—Ubon Sĕeklęun’s footsteps. The color she has showed him this evening pales in comparison to the true color he saw that night. Relinquishing that true color for the one within reach would be an insult to both Ubon and himself.

Therefore, in the end, the lie must persist. Besides, if the likes of Ubon Sĕeklęun can show him a flicker of something greater, then what interesting colors will he find in the other members of Pinefall’s First Class?

And, of course, there is also the mission.

John makes it a point of stretching his body and wincing a little, expressing "the cost in fatigue" of his latest exertion.

“Well, that was thoroughly amusing, but I’m getting the impression our swimming time may be coming to an end,” he says, pointing a thumb towards the many movements at the sandy shore.

Yet, lost amidst the sediment at the bottom of his mental ocean, a stray thought lurks. An unbidden, unnecessary, utterly pointless construction of the mind. It fulfills no purpose, grants him no advantage, nor relates in any way to his search for the truth. It should have been broken apart like all other unnecessary, hollow things, yet it remains complete, albeit remote; a lingering echo in the depths of the mind.

False as it may be, I hope for that girl to never lose her color.

Last edited by Daneel Rush; February 3rd, 2019 at 09:02 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

This is why humans are awful.

If it were just evil and good, then it wouldn't truly be awful. Humans are awful because they have it all mixed up inside themselves. One minute you're having a lighthearted conversation, and the next moment you're face to face with true ugliness, an open wound that had merely been hidden away all this time. And because you can never truly understand all of a human at once, each person becomes a mystery box of hidden neuroses, biases, and hate. Each conversation is a minefield in which something terrifying might jump out and wound you, and then burrow into your soul along with all the ugliness of humans.

I knew that the small glimpse of Subaru Iburi I'd seen was just one facet. That she, like all of us, was here for a reason. But I didn't expect to see it it here. Not like this.

The only saving grace here is... that I don't sense an ounce of hatred or malice in those words. She's being honest and truthful, displaying her mental wound without realizing it's a wound in the first place.

So, I can't really hate Subaru for any of it.

"...I don't know anything about who owns who, but that last part is wrong."

Yes. Her antiquated ideals can be explained. They are unlikely, but possible, a result of a secluded upbringing full of yesteryear's awfulness. She may even be right about that leash business; it's perfectly likely that one or more of the people here are "owned" by others. But Subaru is mistaken about one thing for sure.

"He might be big and strong and a little aggressive, but Pyry's no beast."

What made you think this way, Subaru? I'm sure it, too, is a result of the awfulness of human society. Were you perhaps raised on bigoted drivel? On the concept of a ruling class made up of tiny thinkers, and a working class of dimwitted giants? Or did you have to resort to this to cope with some unseen trauma? The mind always jumps to the worst conclusion, so I can only imagine an endless series of awful humans molding you into this.

"Beasts are always honest with their feelings. They're direct: they act the way they feel, and they take what they want, unless they're following their Master's orders."

But Pyry...

"That guy lies to himself and denies his feelings. He's unsure of himself, and doubts himself. He's definitely a person - and he's certainly more of one than I am."

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Vier Wolff

For a second, Aleen just stared at me. For a second, I was actually scared of how she would respond. After that second, she laughed and for some reason blushed. I saw the elbow coming and for once I didn’t try to evade or mitigate damage… Not that it would do damage.

"... Yeah. I mean, you're already putting up with my stupid crap, so... so I'll do the same for you. But don't think I can just forget someone who tries blackmailing me during the first day they met! Just so you know, I'm still kinda miffed 'bout that so a fat chance I'll ever forget!"
    I gave a gentle smile to Aleen as she made her promise to remember me. I’ll see if you do end up keeping your promise.

“I wasn’t blackmailing you… I just gave you a rhetorical question that only left one answer. Also we get a Cherry Pie out of it! So it can’t be that bad...”

"So too bad! I'll be remembering you whether you want it or not!"
    “You’re going to hold this over my head for the rest of my life aren’t you… In that case, I have more ammo than you… Milk Girl.”

~******~

A few moments later, I was able to add one more title to Aleen, Evil Villain. She was really good at acting like a villain. Good full-fledged laugh. Menacing finger movements while slowly moving towards their target.

"Vile they might be, but they are the best hands when it comes for scratches~! Just try to get on my level, girls!"
    “You fiend! Now you’re going monopolize Tonkori again!”

I couldn’t help but join in with some mock shock. Well… It’ll be mock shock as long as Aleen doesn’t revert back to what she was doing earlier. Ultimately, I ended up joining Aleen in an attempt to “heroically” get Tonkori’s attention. That is until I heard something interesting…

Quote Originally Posted by Iburi
    "... Still, I was completely mistaken. Since you were always with him, I thought that he must have belonged to you. Does that mean he has been loaned to you, or that you know his owner, then?"
    …A person being owned or loaned. That thought chilled me to the core as I promptly stopped petting Tonkori and looked at Iburi carefully. She said it in the same cheerful manner that I’ve associated with her speech. But the contents were anything but cheerful.

"After all, I do not think he is simply running free with no leash on him. That would be too dangerous, would it not?

... Is it not just common sense for beasts like him to have their owner keeping them in check?"
    I just stared at Subaru Iburi. My mind trying to decipher hers as best as I could. Personality. Thoughts. Emotions. I couldn’t decipher a single thing in front of me. And it placed me on edge.

"...I don't know anything about who owns who, but that last part is wrong.

He might be big and strong and a little aggressive, but Pyry's no beast.

Beasts are always honest with their feelings. They're direct: they act the way they feel, and they take what they want, unless they're following their Master's orders.

That guy lies to himself and denies his feelings. He's unsure of himself, and doubts himself. He's definitely a person - and he's certainly more of one than I am."
    Prushka took a step forward and tried to make sense of the situation. To try and correct or be accepted as an answer in Iburi’s mindset.

“The only difference between a wolf and dog is that one allows themselves to be owned...”

Meanwhile, all I could do is mutter something that reminded me of a darker time.

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Vier Wolff

"That guy lies to himself and denies his feelings. He's unsure of himself, and doubts himself. He's definitely a person - and he's certainly more of one than I am."
    These words... they only seemed to confuse the empty stare of Subaru Iburi further. She tilted her head, quizzically, at the smaller girl. At some point Tonkori had left Aleen and Vier, and now the puppy sat right before his owner, staring up at the girl. Just... staring. Very intently. Not only had the girl's demeanor become warped, but it seemed that her pet reacted to it too. But what it meant, that remained a mystery.

"A person?"

That cheerfulness in Subaru's voice wasn't a lie... yet it sounded fake. Almost like someone who had been taught how to say things with that tone, and didn't know how to do it naturally.

"No... no, that is not quite right. After all, Prushka, you may be a bit different but you certainly are a person," Subaru said, calmly, like explaining something obvious. "So too you, Vier, are a person. But just a little bit different. You both have a past that warps you, but it does not make you something else than a person."

Those eyes scanned all three girls but saw nothing, their surface like smoky glass.

Subaru intertwined her fingers upon her lap, like she was saying a prayer.

"That is different from the beast that you all refer to as Pyry Leijonamieli," Subaru continued in that monotone voice of hers. "He is strong, he is attractive, he is affable... all desirable traits in any living being. Perfection. Too much perfection. It took me a moment to realize, but within a day I had become sure. I understood when I saw his close relationship with Souma Nubatama."

Subaru shook her head.

"That is not a person. Indeed, that is not a human," she asserted, like speaking the objective truth. "That is---"

SNAP!

Suddenly, everyone's attention was caught by the snapping of a pair of fingers, and a voice that said:

"Ooookay, I think that's enough being weird for one day, Subaru!" Aleen said with a slightly troubled grin, and patted the Japanese girl on the head. "Starting to get dizzy just listening to you. Lighten up, will ya?"

Subaru Iburi blinked, and with that simple gesture, her eyes had gone back to normal. There was a normal human light within them and it looked as if she had completely lost the intense emptiness that had been within her just a few seconds ago. Looking up at the blue-haired girl who was still petting her head, Subaru blushed brightly and sputtered out apologies, clearly flustered.

"A-ah, my apologies! The sun is almost down, is it not?" Subaru asked, hurrying to stand up. "If we keep Vier here any longer, she will miss her big band act! W-we should all hurry then."

Aleen nodded and dusted herself off of sand, rising up as well.

"Yeppers. Since Inacio made such a big deal out of it, now I totally wanna hear you guys play," she said and nudged Vier with her elbow again. "Plus I wanna go grab some grub before you guys starting. I'm hangry, you hear me? H-a-n-g-ry!"

Whatever it was that had happened just now, it was all gone in the wind.

All because of actions by one simple girl who didn't exactly know what was going on, but decided to sweep it under the rug all the same.

Perhaps not the most elegant solution...

... But one very much like Aleen King.

"Oh."

As they were all leaving for the stage, Subaru suddenly let out a small squeak.

Tonkori tilted its head at its owner, whose expression had become very troubled all of a sudden.

"... I forgot all about the Friendship Challenge and gathering signatures!"

Prushka: Friendship Rank Raised!

Vier Wolff: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Colt tilted his head at Mercedes.

“What’s the deal? Mr. Hatou seems cool.”

Somehow it felt like the rift between Mercedes West and Colt’s image of a normal man, that being his reflection in the mirror, was widening. Forceful and huge, boisterous and lively. Overbearing, but by any definition, a true man. How does a woman look at Colt and mark him off as unacceptable, then turn around and put someone in Hiroto Hatou’s league out of the running too?

“He’s a bit of a gorilla, but I think he’s interesting. If you don’t wanna do it, I will.”

Turning away so that Mercedes wouldn’t see it, Colt rolled his eyes as he walked across the sand toward the stage.

[SCENE END]

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

In this situation, what else can I do but sigh?

Even though I'd promised to keep away from such things, I encountered a clear abnormality tonight.

It may have been resolved now, but the issue is still there. I don't like leaving things for later. It just gives them time to worsen. But clearly, tonight isn't the best time for it.

Ghhhhaaaaaaa... it's frustrating. Not being able to do anything right now is ridiculously frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen King
    "Plus I wanna go grab some grub before you guys starting. I'm hangry, you hear me? H-a-n-g-ry!"
    As soon as she says it, my stomach starts to rumble. A great big quaking that demands tribute immediately.

"Me too! Hey King, did you see the big dummy at the barbecue? I found it, y'know!"

As I stand, I'm for a moment overcome by dizziness - the sort you get from sitting down for too long. When I close my eyes to steady myself, I open my ears to the buzz of the party once more.

Conflict. Awkwardness. Abnormality. It's still there. A whirlpool of unsure voices. Only in a few places does the cheer ring true. But it's there.

I'd like to be able to just sweep what Subaru said under the rug. Yet, if she knows something... something that regular humans do not... then I can't throw those words away.

Pyry... you are a person, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru Iburi
    "... I forgot all about the Friendship Challenge and gathering signatures!"
    "Friendship Challenge? Signatures? What kinda dumb challenge is that?"

I offer my hand to the confused girl.

"C'mon, Subaru. You can explain over burgers. If we hurry, we might grab some before the performance starts."

Whatever the case, tonight is not the night for abnormality. It's a night for music, for the humans that want to overcome their own awfulness and reach out to others. They probably won't succeed. Most never will.

But I'll be here, watching, hoping you do.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Pyry
    "Oh, alright. Suit yourself. At least one of us has enough common sense to just be satisfied with swimming. Plus, despite how light John and Ubon are, I think even my arm's getting sorta tired... N-not that I think you're heavy or anything! Nothing like that!"
    "Oh, no-no! Of course not! No offence taken," stammered Elise as she attepted to help Pyry extract his foot from his mouth.

I can accept that I'm not built to fly the same way John and Ubon are.

Thankfully, it was at that moment when John launched Ubon into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "Time for a space-shot, Cap'n! See you on the flipside!"
    Truly, the flight of Ubon Seeklęun was a majestic sight to behold.

Although I'm not sure any human is built for flight the same way Ubon is, thought Elise as Ubon sailed through the air and splashed back down into the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "I FRICKIN' LOVE THIS SCHOOL!"
    Elise laughed, and joined Pyry in applauding Ubon.

What a strange, yet delightful, person.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “Well, that was thoroughly amusing, but I’m getting the impression our swimming time may be coming to an end."
    John pointed with this thumb, and Elise followed it back to shore.

"Might be last call for hamburgers soon. Better grab one before it's too late!"

With that, Elise dove into the water and swam back towards the shore, and the barbecue.

Last edited by Thalraxal; February 3rd, 2019 at 02:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Asking the teacher was definitely a correct way of doing things. She’d already made the assumption that the teachers were unaware, but it never did hurt to check. Although, on that topic—namely, Mercedes suddenly cowering behind her—Lucille understood the problem. Their only supervisor was Mr. Hatou… and while Lucille certainly had the mental fortitude to withstand his presence, it was not something she was going to continually test day after day.

Thankfully, Colt volunteered, and never had Lucille been more grateful in her entire life. Colt wasn’t a terrible person like that Greek girl had been implying, after all.

“That settles that, then,” Lucille said with a sigh of relief. “But you know, Mercy, he is our gym teacher… We have an entire year to go, you know?”

Those might have not been the correct words to say, but those were the ones that faced reality the most. She couldn’t shield Mercedes from the cruelty of the world forever, nor did she feel that was a good away to go about things. As for the other person in this sudden quartet…

Well, she’d gone to this party with the intention of meeting new people, didn’t she? Might as well be friendly.

“How’s your day been?” Lucille asked Adelaide, picking from a lengthy list of generic ice breakers.

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

Adelaide had turned her head when Mercedes retreated behind Lucille, and as soon as she glanced in the indicated direction...

She jerked her head away, as if burned.

Never before had she been more thankful for her reflexes, because, from just a glance, a mere glance, she'd caught something she didn't want to see under any sort of circumstance. While she was still reeling, Colt volunteered to go in their places, and for some reason Adelaide felt a rush of gratitude.

Well, not just for 'some reason'.

She definitely didn't want to practice her eye contact game again, after Souma.

Adelaide shook her head, reflecting on the day. She'd plunged herself from one embarrassing moment into another, and it seemed no matter where she turned there were always more complications crawling out of the woodworks. And she'd not even been here a week, to boot.

“How’s your day been?”

She let out a small groan.

"Stressful. Yours?"

[12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Vier Wolff

"So too you, Vier, are a person. But just a little bit different. You both have a past that warps you, but it does not make you something else than a person."
    I could hear the sound of people rolling in their grave and I agree with them. I most certainly was not a person. I was a trained dog that followed their orders without question. Sit. Stay. Fetch. I didn’t think much about it. If I had to compare Pyry Leijonamieli to me from back then. I would’ve been the inhuman one. I didn’t laugh, I didn’t cry, and I lacked anything that wasn’t needed.

Would I have been this bad if I stayed there? Would I have been doomed from the start if I never met her? My memories of the past started to swirl around me once more with a vengeance. Armed with a bunch of what ifs as I stared at Iburi. Well… Until, one idiot thought we were being stupid and snapped her fingers.

"Ooookay, I think that's enough being weird for one day, Subaru! Starting to get dizzy just listening to you. Lighten up, will ya?"
    Then everything went back to normal. I wasn’t back /THERE/ reliving those days but without her. Iburi went back to normal. Prushka just sighed in exhaustion.

"A-ah, my apologies! The sun is almost down, is it not? If we keep Vier here any longer, she will miss her big band act! W-we should all hurry then."
    "Yeppers. Since Inacio made such a big deal out of it, now I totally wanna hear you guys play. Plus I wanna go grab some grub before you guys starting. I'm hangry, you hear me? H-a-n-g-ry!"
    "Me too! Hey King, did you see the big dummy at the barbecue? I found it, y'know!"
    At moments like these, Aleen was really the best. I grabbed my towel shook it off and then placed it back in my gig bag.

“You’re right. Playing on an empty stomach would probably be the worst. Just imagine hearing a stomach growl in the middle of the song in front of everyone… Maybe I should just grab one of the already made things before going up there.”

With her help, I could take a step forward again even if we just delaying the issue with Iburi.

“Oh.... I forgot all about the Friendship Challenge and gathering signatures!”
    "C'mon, Subaru. You can explain over burgers. If we hurry, we might grab some before the performance starts."
    “Friendship challenge? What kind of silly challenge is that? If all you need is a signature… Just remind me after the live?”

With that said, I followed everyone to the food before grabbing something quick and easy to eat until afterward. I’ll play the best possible live that I can for everyone.

Blog Entries

About half an hour and one sound-check later, things were finally ready for the closing act of the beach party. All the students of the First Class of Pinefall High, all 29 of them, had gathered around the makeshift wooden stage standing atop the stand, with speakers and amplifiers flanking it. Guitar and bass pedals had been set to the right and left respectively, while the Casio keyboard stood a little further to the side and the drum set kept the rear. Mr. Hatou, as boisterous as ever, was working as the master of ceremonies, loudly explaining to everyone what they already knew: that some of the students of their class had decided to 'grace' them with a musical act and that they should be cheered for as loudly as possible in order to show gratitude.

On the stage, the atmosphere was tense... at least for some. While Inacio Ilusăo looked as calm as ever, calmly doing some last-minute tuning on his guitar, and while Kean Loinnir lazily twirled around his drum sticks, ready to get this show on the road... Pyry Leijonamieli looked somewhat green in face, gripping his old blues harmonica rather tightly. Even if the boy had been in front of thousands of people before, this was clearly not his element. And therefore, his nervousness was clearly showing... thought it might have also been because he personally knew most of the people in the audience.

"You can do it, guys!" A sudden holler broke the air, as Ubon Sĕeklęun pumped the air with her fist. "Break a leg! And even if you screw it up, we're not gonna mind, for realsies!"

That elicited laughter and agreeing nods from most of the audience... and seemed to ease the tension on the stage a little bit. At least Pyry seemed to be able to breath in and out and thus calm his nerves, though it remained to be seen if it helped Hisa Momoi or Vier Wolff any.

Still, the show had to go on, even if the players were ready or not. The sun had already set and the light of the stars and the moon showered upon the stage. The two bamboo torches sticking from the ground, along with the great light of the bonfire, gave the beach a somewhat mystic atmosphere, almost magical in nature.

The murmurs and whispers of the crowd died down as Pyry finally grabbed the mic, taking a good long look at each of his brothers-and-sisters-in-arms on the stage, and getting an affirmative nod from Inacio. They were ready. At least they were as ready as they could be.

And so the lanky boy began talking.

"So... Hi guys," Pyry said, and flashed an awkward grin. "I'm not much of a talker, so I'm just gonna say this: I heard this song on the radio as I was driving to the Helsinki Airport to get to over here and board that tuna can of a bus we all rode yesterday, and it stuck to my head. I even had to record it on the fly, just so I could hear it again. Almost missed my flight because of that. Anyways... This song is something that kinda hit me, in a good way, and so Inacio and I decided we should play it for you guys. You know, as thank you for getting in on this crazy school year with us and to... I dunno, remember to keep it real? You'll understand when you hear the song... unless I botch up the lyrics. Not my main language, after all. Anyway... here goes nothing, guys."

He took a step back and readied his harmonica. Inacio strummed a melodious note from his guitar and the beach got all quiet, with nothing but the crackling of wood in the bonfire to interrupt it. It seemed that nobody dared even breathe for a few seconds as the makeshift band on the makeshift stage prepared...

... And then Kean raised his drum sticks.

"One, two, three, four..." the boy quietly gave everyone the tempo...

------------ And the music started.

The guitar and the bass came alive as the drums started their slow beat, weaving a melody that sounded both rustic and familiar, almost classical, in their style. At the same time under the fingers of Hisa Momoi the keys of the piano joined in in an improvised tune that carried just above the drums, giving the song a completely new layer very fitting of a live performance. Suddenly, as if mimicking that piano melody, the blues harmonica of Pyry started screaming a vibrant tune, intertwining with it and livening the whole song up with a nostalgic sound of blues and folk.

And as the melody turned back to the start, Pyry moved closer to the mic and started singing.

"It doesn't matter what I say~! So long as I sing with in~flection. That makes you feel I'll convey. Some inner truth or vast reflection!"

Inacio grinned as the amateur-yet-fitting rough voice of the boy filled the night air and did a little switch-up with his guitar, bridging his melody to fit the actual words and mimic their cadence. He took walking to the stage, setting himself up near Vier and nodded to the girl, his message clear: they were handling the actual tune of the song with perfect accuracy, even if there was a hiccup here and there. It was alright to improvise and have some fun.

"But I've said nothing so far! And I can keep it up for as lo~ong as it takes. And it don't matter who you are. If I'm doing my job then it's your resolve that breaks!"

With those lyrics Kean shifted up his drum-beat and brought the song to the chorus, his surprisingly powerful strikes echoing from the drum-skin like ticking of the metronome.

"Because the hook brings you back! I ain't tellin' you no lie! The hook brings you back! On that you can rely!

It wasn't just the voice of Pyry Leijonamieli this time. Voices of both Vier and Inacio joined in the on the backing vocals, a notch below Pyry's pitch and elongating the words to stay just a bit longer, almost like an echo. It was a neat effect, and as the accompanying piano jolted alive during the chorus, it made the melody that much richer.

With an exhilarated grin, Pyry began the next verse, almost like telling a joke of some sort that only he could get. Perhaps it was what he had been talking about relating to the song, or something else, but whatever it was it remained for only him to know.

"There is something amiss! I am being insincere! In fact I don't mean any of this! Still my confession draws you near!"

In the audience, heads were bopping and bodies were swaying slowly to the tune. Ubon Sĕeklęun, leaning her arms to shoulders of both Sakura Tsukioka and John Dove, swung her head from side-to-side to the beat. Souma Nubatama, standing to the side of the main group, kept his arms folded but that enigmatic smile on his face stayed. Travis Gagnon had, strangely enough, sat on the sand next to Gabi Bahkauv who watched the stage transfixed, mouth little agape. Caleb Montjoy had perhaps started sketching the whole event... but his pen had stopped moving for a good while now. Near the back, Hwan Bin was messing with a cigarette lighter, snapping it open and shut, yet he listened intently.

"To confuse the issue I re~fer! To familiar heroes from lo~ong ago!"

Next to Alexstrasza, still holding her hand, Cesarina Feroce bopped up and down on the spot to the rhythm, big smile on her face. Alex Terrot seemed somewhat bothered by the fact that Ramia Ramalsaqr was trying to get her join her odd dance, foreign in its movement. Aleen King, on the other hand, brought her fingers to her mouth and whistled in cheer of Vier, startling Subaru Iburi next to her who had gazed at the musical act with sparkling wonder in her eyes. Even Mercedes West, who was standing next to Lucille and Colt, while seemingly indifferent to the whole thing, kept tapping her foot against the sand like she thought nobody saw it.

"No matter how much Peter loved he~er! What made the Pan refuse to grow~!"

And outside the light of the torches and the bonfire, Xylia Pheme sat on the sand, hugging her knees and staring at everyone else with that burning gaze of hers.

"Was that the ho~ok brings you ba~ack! I ain't tellin' you no lie~! The hook brings you ba~ack! On that you can rely!"

Suddenly, the melody took a dip as the guitar, the bass, the piano and the drum returned the very basic beat of the song. At the same time, Pyry Leijonamieli jumped a little backwards and brought forth his blues harmonica once more. From there started a harmonica solo that soared across the stage, over the crowd and into the beach behind them. It crashed against the waves, overpowering them for a moment, and then shot towards the moon where it danced across the night sky with stars as its partners. There was primal fury in that solo, played with all the strength in the lungs of an amateur who did it for just the joy of music.

Laughing under his breath, quietly enough that only Hisa Momoi could hear it, Kean added in a marching-band fill that picked up the pace even more, sweat dropping from his brow in droplets. For a moment the two of them had their gazes connect and the silver-haired boy nodded for her, encouraging Hisa to add her own flourish to this moment - the high-point of the song. Hearing this momentary increase in speed, Inacio grinned wildly and intertwined the melody with few strums of flamenco-like passion, setting himself up next to Vier once more and adjusting his playing to hit the movement of the girl, making them appear as mirror images for a moment.

And then it was over. The harmonica solo stopped. Pyry Leijonamieli had only one half of a second to inhale, to prepare, and as the song once again took its basic form...

... His lips began to move rapidly.

"Suck it in, suck it in, suck it in, if you're Rin Tin Tin or Anne Boleyn!

Make a desperate move or else you'll win!

And then begin to see, what you're doing to me!

This MTV is not for free!

It's so PC it's killing me!

So desperately I sing to thee of love!

Sure! But also rage and hate and pain and fear of self!

And I can't keep these feeling on the shelf!

I've tried! Well, no, in fact I lied!

Could be financial suicide but I've got too much pride inside to hide, or slide!

I'll do as I'll decide and let it ride till until I've died!

And only then shall I abide by this tide of catchy little tunes!

Of hip three minute ditties!

I wanna bust all your balloons, I wanna burn of all your cities to the ground!

I've found, I will not mess around unless I play! Then hey!

I will go on all day!

Hear what I say, I have a prayer to pray, that's really all this was!

And when I'm feeling stuck and need a buck, I don't rely on luck, because---!"

And just when you thought it was safe to breathe again and that the song had reached its absolute apex, all the instruments came alive for one final crescendo that seemed to have no end.

Meanwhile, Pyry's voice broke momentarily, but it just made it all sound even more powerful.

"The ho~ok brings you back! I ain't tellin' you no lie!"

Thus, for the final stretch of the song, it was not only Pyry's voice, but that of all the teens on the stage, that could be heard singing out loud and clear, having been swept up by the hypnotizing music.

"The ho~ok! On that you can rely~!"

As unassuming as it had come, this song that had been played for all of the people of the First Class faded away, leaving behind just the echoes of the bass, the piano, the drums, the guitar and the harmonica...

... Then, just a five seconds later, the audience broke into furious applause, led by the friends that you had made during these scant few days.

And on the stage, sweat on their faces and grins on their faces, Pyry, Inacio and Kean turned to look at Hisa, Vier and each other, grateful and excited and just for a moment, all their hearts beating to the same tune.

Vier Wolff: Friendship Rank Raised!

Hisa Momoi: Friendship Rank Raised!

Last edited by Verg Avesta; February 3rd, 2019 at 11:53 PM.

Elaine Winters

Meanwhile...

As the concert went on, one person was slightly out of sight, muttering to themselves darkly as they fiddled with the box they'd brought.

"Goddamned bullshit fuckin' fireworks..."

She had only herself to blame for their admittedly hurried construction, and she was really overreacting, it wasn't as if they were that much of a pain.

But she had to account for a number of things, the precise angle of the shots, the composition of the display, and most importantly, making sure she didn't set something on fire that wasn't supposed to be on fire.

The distinction was important, she was told.

Still, she'd managed to make a solid enough set, given only a couple of hours.

A bit sparse, she'd thought, but what could you do? Wasn't like this was the 4th or anything.

Just a little fiddling here and there, making sure she didn't launch anything into the stage while they were playing, uh... Some song she hadn't heard before, having tuned out slightly in her fretting.

It was fairly nice, not too complex, which was fair enough. But still, this gave her a brief opportunity to herself, to which she was grateful, sighing slightly as the sun fully began to set below the horizon, darkness flitting over the beach.

She didn't have to do this, shoving herself into the fray like some sort of show-off, and it wasn't really asked for, nor was there any guarantee she'd get anything back. But, really, it was something nice for some other people, and really, in the end, wasn't that what she'd been doing for most of her life?

Good deeds for no reward.

At least she enjoyed it.

She did a few last adjustments to her upcoming display, and quietly waited for the song to end, smiling in the shadows.

Artists got it rough sometimes, huh.

Applause broke out, and she gave a few claps, shuffling away and letting her real display out to shine.

A barrage of booms and cracks and bangs, flashes of light and sound, danced across the murky night capturing the oceanside in sight, angled over the waves.

Colors and sparks danced alight, to summon the grandeur forth, of one days humble working hours, a crafter's simple art.

Into the sky, into the sky, fired the Candle Romanesque, green and white and azure blue, into the stars they fought.

Shrieks and hollers accompanied the flares, bright and bold they flew, til their time came and off they faded, to that dismal blackened hue.

"Nothing like fireworks to get me in a mood, huh?"

Still, it was fairly good. Maybe she'll try it again sometime.

She strode out, bold as brass, and spread her arms in a bow.

Was pretty good for someone who'd never made fireworks.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

The waves washed slowly into the darkened beach, now only illuminated by the by the small but bright sliver of crescent silver in the sky. Further along the beach, Anna could make out the bright glow of the stage lights in the distance. The faint sound of music mixed together with the ceaseless sound of the rocking waves in a manner that could almost be described as hypnotic.

Ah, it seems that the show started already. Well, this is fine as well, I suppose.

A bit earlier, Anna had left behind both Gabi and Caleb. Her excuse was that she “wanted to stretch her limbs”, but in reality, the girl in red had just wanted to leave all the noise behind her for a moment. In all honesty, this type of “socializing” was just not for her. Not because it was particularly difficult or stressful, but rather because it was tiring. She made no excuses over her mostly solitary nature, so she needed some time to recharge at least. At least speaking with Caleb and Gabi was still relatively low-effort on her part, but speaking to someone like Seeklęun or the Feroce girl would probably drive her insane within five minutes.

For a bunch of misfits, there sure are a lot of social butterflies here.

While Leijonamieli may have largely bucked his national stereotypes, Anna had no illusions about diverging from hers.

So she had gone for a seaside walk.

Her initial idea had been to be back by the time the show started, but considering the distance, she probably won’t make it back by the time they finish anyway. It was honestly unlikely that anyone would spot her absence anyway. So she ended up staying right there on the beach, where the sound of the stage was merely a faint hint in the air. Anna’s fingers combed through the sand, as she was sitting on the darkened beach, before grasping a wayward rock stuck in the sand.

A moment later, the stone quickly skipped across the sea as the sky above her was lit up by brilliant fireworks.

Yeah, this wasn’t bad at all. It may have not been calm, but it was at least peaceful in its own way.

There, under the sparkling lights, Anna Vandemeel sat with her eyes gazing at the sky, thoroughly enjoying the spectacle folding out in front of her.

While the peace of this place may, in the end, only be a fleeting illusion, she would at least enjoy it for as long as it lasted.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

The music washes over the audience, and me in turn.

It's a cheery tune, carrying with it the spirit of youthful hope and rebellion. Of love and lies. Delivered by imprecise, hastily-assembled hands, the performance is charmingly flawed, wearing its heart on its sleeve. It can't help but draw you in, setting your soul alight and dancing to its tune.

It's too much. Here, now, in a crowd of strangers, I feel more alone than ever. Even Subaru, my newest friend, has shown hidden horrors.

This is it, isn't it? This is as far as humans can go. This hypnotic feeling, where one's spirit syncs up with those nearby using a song as a catalyst for a trance... that's the closest human strangers can get to each other. Here and now, listening to this song, they can almost understand each other.

...huh? Is that what I think it is?

I'm standing near the front. Not because I wanted to be there, but because otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the people playing. So I'm afforded a full view of the players.

Pyry, I didn't know you could play the harmonica.

Was it you that night? Playing that sad song from atop that lighthouse? What were the feelings in your song back then?

I wish I could know. I wish I could understand. But that's impossible. As we are, I can only project my own feelings into it.

All I can do is listen to your new song, here and now, and hold back tears that are meant for someone else.

Elise Pelltier

It was amazing. All of it. The music, the band, the fireworks, the food, the people who orchestrated this whole beach party. The fact that everyone had gotten together on such short notice to do all this was incredible.

The band could only have been assembled at most a day ago, they still only recruited Hisa and Kean this morning, and all to play a song Pyry heard on the radio. That's not a lot of time to practice together. I can't imagine being able to do that, but that's probably because I'm tone deaf.

All this is just so inspirational. Whether its John's search for something, Ubon's infectious cheerfulness, Sakura's apparently amazing organizational abilities and secret love of Star Wars novels, and Pyry's... seriously, what can't he do? No, if Sakura can get all this going in less than a day, why can't I? What's holding me back? Fear? Is it the same childish fear of Sakura's where she can't admit to liking pulp Star Wars novels for fear of judgement?

I have work to do tomorrow, but there's no reason why I can't at least begin...

They called it evil, demonic, a tool of corruption! Ha! Those close minded old fools. They should know better.

Here at Pinefall though... I'm sure I can find a few curious souls, with minds open to the possibilities, who'll be interested.

Yes...

Heh, it is the hook isn't it?

Damn. This song is going to be stuck in my head isn't it?

Last edited by Thalraxal; February 4th, 2019 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

Music died down, fireworks lit up, applause cracked beneath the flickering lights, and Colt slipped out from the reach torchlights. With a smile he crossed the border drawn by where water met sand. With the sun having set the water had fallen to a less pleasant temperature, and he shivered a bit as he waded deeper in, up to his waist.

He had made his escape around the time he noticed Mercedes West tapping her feet to the music. For his part, Colt had nodded along, following the drums. His favorite instrument. If he had to say why, it would be that he sees the drummer as the spine in the anatomy of a band. The backbone, that which holds everything together and lifts it all up.

The performance was good. But that teenage sense of self-awareness had caught hold. The feeling that staying and clapping with everyone else was a bit too “cheesy” even for him had carried him here.

Or at least, that was one reason.

It wasn’t a lie, what he’d told Adelaide. He had never been to the beach. At least, not a seaside beach. There were beaches along lakes and rivers, but never salt water. Not Colt.

So he came to the water, even as it began to cool with the sun’s departure, and lowered himself down to his neck.

Xylia, Elizaveta, the .45, Mr. Hatou, they could all wait. Tonight, he would swim until curfew, viewing the fireworks from beneath the water’s surface.

[SCENE END]