Page 35 of 244 FirstFirst ... 25303334353637404585135 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Nora
    "Well, while it does seem rather ominous... that book is clearly an old one. I think it must be something the author thought aboot when he penned the whole thing," she said and folded her arms. That perpetual frown of hers seemed to fit well in situations such as this. "But 'Jake Briggs needs to die'... that seems like something to inform the sheriff about. Even if it's an old thought, he might find it useful. Might be connected to a cold case of some sort."
    Common sense dictates that you would tell the police as possible. Raises the odds of civil defenders successfully doing their job and keeps the possible victim safe as possible. However, I’m not certain if that’s the best idea given that the town might have an aggressive dark side. Raising the alarm might cause them to act rashly.

"Or, do you know who Jake Briggs is?"
    “I do know that there is a Jake Briggs who is currently Pinefall High School’s janitor and an alumni of it. So that means it could just be an empty threat or it has passed.”

I thought a bit about the situation and the note in my hand. Is it the same author? Who is the author? What is their motive for the journal or the note?

“At the very least, I don’t think the police need to get involved. But if you want, I can always warn him while I’m at school.”

The more I hold onto this book, the more I feel like I need to dig into this. Even if only I don’t want it to impact my own mission.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Date: 08.09.1994

So this Pinkerton fellow who ran the local country club was just your garden variety money grubber selling an “authentic” countryside experience to some folks with more money than sense. And the McLampets were the local “big money” folks who kept the town afloat with their lumber business. That was before they fell into family infighting and lost it all…

"Then all of the old patriarch's kids either disappeared and died and left the sawmill and this town to rot,"

"Took the livelihoods of most of the townsfolk with them. A damn shame too, because back in the time of the saw, apparently, the whole town was booming. But now it's... well..."
    But it really didn’t make sense. Setting aside the family backstabbing and all that nonsense, it was clear that their business had been successful. Considering that Zane seemed to imply that the work they provided had not only kept the town afloat but allowed it to boom, it seemed to be a profitable enterprise. She wouldn’t be surprised if they had something to do with that huge train depot at the edge of the town as well.

So why hadn’t anyone replaced them?

The money was clearly there and it's not as if the trees had gone anywhere. It was unlikely that a destitute family would be able to protect their logging rights from competitors either. Maybe the wood market had dropped in price since then, but even so…

Capitalism, much like nature, abhorred a vacuum.

“Hey, Zane.” Her eyes followed the empty houses as the path under their feet seemed to roll ever forwards. “You say the McLampets “owned” the logging rights. Who has them now?”

“It just seems weird. If they were so successful then there should still be money to be made from the Ghostwood, right?”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “I do know that there is a Jake Briggs who is currently Pinefall High School’s janitor and an alumni of it. So that means it could just be an empty threat or it has passed. At the very least, I don’t think the police need to get involved. But if you want, I can always warn him while I’m at school.”
    That seemed to surprise Nora and she peered at the note again, reading it once more. Then, thoughts running probably a hundred-miles-a-second in her head, she sat down on the nearby chair and folded her arms, that ever-present frown deepening further. But who could blame her? This note was w weird find to be sure. Stuck between pages of an old journal, written on a piece of paper faded by age. Even Vier could see that something didn't exactly match here. Jake Briggs, from how he looked when he had introduced himself to the students, couldn't have been more than a little over twenty years old. This piece of paper wasn't much older than that, minimum. So either someone had wanted to kill Jake when he had been but a baby or perhaps a young teen, and that in itself raised a whole lot more questions.

Questions that Nora seemed to be mulling over at the moment.

"... Well, if Jake Briggs really is your janitor at the school, I think it might be worth a shot showing him the note. He might know more about it," Nora finally answered. "And since it's that old and this Jake is still alive, I... I guess the sheriff doesn't need to know aboot it yet, to not create unnecessary confusion and trouble."

Suddenly, Nora's expression brightened just a little bit, almost like she had come up with some sort of explanation. The blue-haired girl turned to look at Vier and snapped her fingers.

"Perhaps it's a prank of some sort? Maybe Jake used to frequent this library in his youth and his friends wanted to give him a scare?" she asked. "That would explain it... wouldn't it?"

It... sounded off, to be honest, but it was one possible explanation.

Maybe.

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “Hey, Zane. You say the McLampets “owned” the logging rights. Who has them now? It just seems weird. If they were so successful then there should still be money to be made from the Ghostwood, right?”
    Zane made a difficult face, as if this was a topic that wasn't exactly popular among the local populace.

"Well, naturally Howard McLampets' children inherited them. But the eldest son up and ran away from the town, leaving it behind because he felt like someone was after him. The second eldest son died of a complication during a surgery and his only daughter ended up killing herself thanks to drunk driving. So that left the rights with the youngest son... only, he disappeared without a trace," Zane explained and made a vague gesture with his hands. "Had it been left there, somebody else might have picked the business up, well... The youngest son had a daughter, and she inherited the rights thanks to his will. Of course the child was but a babe back then, so it was left with his widow... and there's where the real trouble began."

As they kept jogging, Zane kept glancing at the forest on the other side of the road. The Ghostwood National Forest was a big place and no doubt it was a veritable goldmine of timber that could have made anyone owning the saw, and the townspeople at it, rich. But the forest still lay untouched, growing wild and even more vast in the absence of the saw mill.

"See, the widow, Josie McLampet isn't exactly... well. Hasn't been since her husband disappeared. She's practically a ghost that lives in that old mansion of theirs and emerges only occasionally from there to wander around the town like she was still looking for her husband, Edward. And what comes to their daughter, the one who actually owns the rights by law..." Zane frowned a bit. "Her mother claims she lives in the mansion and is fine and healthy, but... nobody has seen the kid in fifteen years, not after she turned one year old. Almost like the forest swallowed up her too. So the rights are in the limbo, in the hands of people who aren't using them, which leaves the town high and dry and slowly dying."

Perhaps even without his own realization, Zane clenched his hands into fists out of frustration.

"If the daughter really is living in the mansion, would like to hear her explanation for letting things get this bad."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; March 31st, 2020 at 02:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Xylia’s complete change in personality only served to make Lucille angrier. To have conviction that flimsy, only changed by a display of force, that made Lucille sick to her stomach. Both out of pity and regret—that there were people like this, lording over others in their imaginary food chain yet yielding to the apex. That strength was the only way to mean anything in their world. It was sick, it was gross, it was disgusting. And now Lucille had lowered herself to become a part of it. That was utterly the wrong way to go about this.

Then, she noticed the red droplets on Xylia’s face, the sudden appearance of the vice-principal suddenly far off in her mind.

She drew blood?

Lucille stared at her fingernails, slightly stained red from the blow she had dealt. She was like a deer in the headlights, perfectly still and transfixed. That is, except for her hand, which couldn’t stop shaking. This was a mistake.

She barely heard the words of the vice-principal, but turned in response a bit too quickly. This was a girl who was clearly ashamed of what she had done, even before she was reprimanded. Her head hung low, her right hand desperately clutching her still shaking left, any sense of rage was long gone, replaced by an overwhelming feeling of guilt.

“There’s nothing to contest, miss. I lost my temper.” Those quiet words left her mouth, shaky and scared. “I’ll see you in the afternoon.”

Lucille turned to Colt, a clearly apologetic look on her face. She hadn’t meant, didn’t want for things to turn out this way.

“Sorry for making things worse.”

With that, she fled to the gymnasium bathrooms.

She needed to wash her hand.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

"Ah, I don't think anyone from yesterday would be against it. I know that Vier is a kind girl and in love with music as well, and what comes to the boys, well... To quote Pyry Leijonamieli later that night, you were apparently 'pretty cool'. And while Kean rarely, as far as I understand, speaks highly of others... or anything really, he did say he'd like to play something else again. Though from what I understand, he prefers a bit heavier material."
    “Me? Cool? Pft ---” I snickered, “Nah, I wish I was. I’m more awkward and depressing, if something...”

Still, hearing that made me somewhat flustered. Praise wasn’t something I had coming my way too often - well, other than from her - so it felt kind of nice.

“Anyways, I guess I can leave organizing things to you? You seem to know the place and the other students fairly well already.”

I was starting to wonder if I was just this oblivious to society and socializing; everyone knew so much about everything, and seemed to have befriended a bunch of people already...While somehow all I ended up doing was getting into arguments and making a fool out of myself.

As he started playing a song, it was my turn to be impressed. It was...the song they played yesterday with Mercedes, as far as I could remember, but still, the way he played it, it felt different, more mesmerizing. I was humming along with the song quietly, then, when he finished, I gave him a warm smile;

“Didn’t expect any less from you. But...You know, that song kind of reminds me of this whole place. This small, strange town, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by the various forms of nature...The feeling of isolation, that we are alone in this whole world, it is kind of melancholic...scary, even.”

"As for the singer, well, that would be Carmen Rivers. She is quite popular in some circles, though her reputation is far from a tarnished one. Nevertheless, I've always liked her style. A sort of old-world lounge singer that transitioned into modern music. Well, in any case, if she truly is in this town, I'd like to find if she really perform here. My first bet was to check out that bar at Big Boy's Gas Station, but... that would require sneaking out after the curfew, I'm afraid."

“Haven’t heard about her, but sounds interesting regardless. About sneaking out...Is that really an issue?”

I really can’t imagine the security being too tight. Why would they even care about what we’re doing at night? What could they even do to stop us…

“The most interesting things happen at night. And the worst I could imagine happening is that you’ll be sleep deprived the next day.”

Clearly, that wasn’t all there was to it. There were so many catastrophic outcomes, and it never was safe out there, especially not for those who are unprepared…

“I would be up for it for sure. Though I’d prefer sneaking out alone, or maybe in a pair...Things go way smoother with small groups.”

"To tie it to what you said earlier, her music has been the type to let me escape from the moment. Especially that old song about a poet and his muse."
    “Mhm, well,” I said with a bitter smile on my face, “That is another song I haven’t heard about… you piqued my interest, though.”

Muse? I wonder what this is about...

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"... Well, if Jake Briggs really is your janitor at the school, I think it might be worth a shot showing him the note. He might know more about it. And since it's that old and this Jake is still alive, I... I guess the sheriff doesn't need to know aboot it yet, to not create unnecessary confusion and trouble."
    Of course, there was something off about this whole ordeal. After all, Jake Briggs looked too young for this note. That means he could be older than he looks, this was towards another person also named Jake Briggs, or… he was replaced. Eliminated and replaced about someone else. The last was especially worrying because that means a group has enough power to make to sway an entire town.

I took care to analyze the book’s writing and the note’s writing for the slightest of details. I continued to go forward in the book in order to multitask information gathering and handwriting analysis.

"Perhaps it's a prank of some sort? Maybe Jake used to frequent this library in his youth and his friends wanted to give him a scare? That would explain it... wouldn't it?"
    I looked up at Nora before I faked a smile when I heard that explanation. The brain liked coming to conclusions that it favored. In this case, Nora would like to believe that nothing was wrong and everything was alright. I wasn’t free of this bias either. Especially since I know there is something abnormal here. ‘You’re always such a worrywart.’

Always assume the worst so that way when you’re proven wrong, you’re more than adequately prepared for anything coming. Even if your friend makes fun of your over-preparing tendencies... That’s just how I am.

“Yeah, maybe Jake Briggs liked reading about folklore as well. That’s still one cruel joke amongst friends,” I gave a dry laugh to that before continuing on. “Let me know if you find something else like this book or note. I’m kind of curious and I can’t stay here all day like you can… Well without skipping school at least.”

I chuckled nervously at that.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Mhm, well. That is another song I haven’t heard about… you piqued my interest, though.”
    Inacio nodded.

"I'm not completely sure, but, some say it is a song inspired by a town she visited a long time ago, near the north-western border of United States. It might be just a coincidence, but..." Inacio gestured towards the nature of Road's End outside the window. "Well, who knows. At the very least I'd like to hear it myself when sung by the original creator. I can only imagine it'd be inspirational."

Finishing up his own song, the one that Hisa had recognized as the song Mercedes had sung yesterday, Inaco sat his guitar on his lap and took a good look at the scarred girl. There was something almost inspective in that gaze, like Inacio was trying to see through something that Hisa had said. But, eventually, he simply smiled that smile of his and shrugged his shoulders.

"Well, while possible detention sounds troublesome, if there's someone else to blame I wouldn't mind heading out tonight," the green-haired said. "If there are more people joining on this nightly excursion, it might be best to keep the groups small. Don't want any attention drawn at us."

Then, with a slightly dry chuckle, Inacio raised his other eyebrow at Hisa and wiggled it up and down in a rather silly-looking way.

"Unless, of course, you wanted to make it a clandestine midnight rendezvous with just the two of us, in which case: How forward!" Inacio continued, trying to sound aghast but his amusement shining through his expression. Eventually the couldn't help but to grin.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by VIer
    “Yeah, maybe Jake Briggs liked reading about folklore as well. That’s still one cruel joke amongst friends. Let me know if you find something else like this book or note. I’m kind of curious and I can’t stay here all day like you can… Well without skipping school at least.”
    A curt smile appeared on Nora's face at that.

"Alright, if I find more mysterious notes aboot offing the minimum wage workers of Road's End, I'll set them aside for you," she said, trying to add some humor to the otherwise strange situation. "But even I won't be here all the time, you know? For starters, I should probably head up to eat something and then maybe catch some sleep. The fact that you're here right now tells me I probably spent all night here again."

As if to emphasize her point, Nora yawned quite heartily.

Meanwhile, Vier herself tried her best to analyze the writing of the note and the one on the notebook. She was no expert in a work like this and since both were written with very flowing, free-hand script, telling them apart or finding enough clues to identify their writer being one and the same... well, it was not an easy task. Especially since the note was just one short sentence, meaning that there wasn't much to go off from there. Then there was the fact that both the book and the note had different paper, so checking if they were the same age was something to think of as well, but...

... Honestly, it was not something that could be done in a hurry, or without being well-versed in the subject.

Hisa Momoi

"Unless, of course, you wanted to make it a clandestine midnight rendezvous with just the two of us, in which case: How forward!"

“Wha---”

Realizing what the boy meant, and how he interpreted my reasoning, I got slightly embarrassed. I never even had anything like that in mind, but in hindsight, it...might not be such a bad idea from that perspective either.

He seemed to be a fairly pleasant boy, someone who would go out of his way to please a girl...He was good with music, had a relatively nice looking body and was apparently good at socializing, but...How much does he know, I wonder? How valuable would he be in danger, in situations that you wouldn’t normally get yourself into?

...When was the last time I had the chance to have a normal talk with a boy my age, let alone have a…’rendezvous’? Certainly not since...that, but then I haven’t even thought about things like this back then…

No, how could he even be okay with something like that? Why would anyone want to meet with a girl like me over any other normal girl? Why would anyone want to look at these scars? And even when one disregards the looks, I’m not exactly the best choice when someone wants a normal, peaceful relationship, and much as I’d like it...Do I really want to make people deal with my antics?

My heart was racing, a sudden warmth filled my body, and I was sure that I was blushing like crazy by now; I couldn’t even look the boy in the eyes, and I was unable to stop furiously playing with my hair.

“I-I didn’t mean it that way b-but...I could certainly get behind that idea, y-you look like a nice guy and all, though I’m sure that you would rather meet with a girl who...looks normal, and isn’t quite as awkward as me---"

I'm sure that I was orerreacting, but I wasn't even sure why...I had my fair share of teasing because of her, and I usually feel no shame or embarrasment when it comes to girls, but...How do I deal with a boy in a situation like this?

"T-the last boy I was even remotely close to said that I was disgusting to even look at, and even here Travis was insulting me because of my scars, so I'm sure that I'm not attractive, much as I'd like to think that..."

Certainly, I tried to take good care of my body, and was somewhat athletic, but even though I didn't care about them, and didn't want others to care about them either, they still did.

"I'm not really a normal girl at any rate, so really, we can just go as a group if you would prefer that."
    Last edited by Cheetose; February 17th, 2019 at 04:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

"I'm not really a normal girl at any rate, so really, we can just go as a group if you would prefer that."
    For a moment, Inacio seemed surprised. He clearly hadn't expected that his joke, one made to lighten the mood and ease awkwardness, would have been taken in this sort of manner. However, that surprise melted into a smile as he watched Hisa Momoi awkwardly blush and stammer a response. He even set aside his guitar completely, waiting for the girl to finish what she was saying, before giving her a calming nod.

"Forgive me, it was tactless of me to make such a suggestion so carelessly," Inacio said, apologetic. "I've lived my life with people to whom relationships and their ilk are nothing more than a joke, so perhaps I've become... desensitized to such things. I didn't mean to make you feel so awkward or uncomfortable with what I said. Again, sorry."

That much could be already gathered from Inacio's usual behavior, how he flirted without even meaning to, but at the same time he didn't seem to mean anything bad with it. He clearly wasn't just some Casanova out to break hearts, or at the very least, he didn't seem to have ulterior motives. Even now, he was trying to defuse the situation and Hisa's embarrassment.

"But, jokes aside, I don't mind heading out tonight with just the two of us," Inacio continued. "Though, in order to ease your red cheeks and flustered face, perhaps we should just do it as friends? In other words, feel no pressure about it? Once we have gotten to know each other, we can see where that leads us, but for now..."

Inacio gave her a carefree shrug.

"... Keep things relaxed?"

Then, as if remembering something and backtracking to a part of what Hisa had said just now that bothered him, Inacio folded his arms across his chest and shot a bit sterner look in her direction.

"Oh, and what comes to your looks? I know there are a lot of superficial people out there, but please don't lump me, or others, together with them," Inacio spoke. "In other words, I bet I am not the only one in Pinefall who finds you plenty attractive despite the scars. As for Travis, well... he seems to be an ass about everything. It's his default response, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; February 17th, 2019 at 04:53 PM.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“…” Colt didn’t say a single word at the worm-like crawling of Xylia. The pity he had shown in his expression magnified, mixing with shock and a hint of fear. Worry for not just himself, or Lucille, but genuine concern for Xylia’s mental health.

And even as she practically groveled at his feet, offering her body to him in graphic detail, Colt held his tongue. The complete and total flip, the sheer lack of shame, and the smile utterly devoid of sincerity. He couldn’t find a way to even answer it.

He felt a chill run down his spine when Lucille’s slap had echoed down the halls, but what he felt seeing Xylia beneath him now…

It was as though a pit had opened in his chest, sucking his innards into it. Nearly gagging at the feeling, Colt slapped his hand over his mouth.

During the time that Sae Min, the math teacher, interjected to send Xylia to the nurse’s office, Colt held his mouth shut, forcing it closed.

Not just for fear of gagging, but to keep himself from saying anything to make it worse.

And when the teacher turned to him after reprimanding Lucille, he finally removed that hand.

Filling his lungs and emptying them, Colt nodded.

“Yes ma’am, just a bump on my head.” Trying to put on a tough guy façade, he poked the spot he had been hit, faking a wince. “I’ll go back and help clean up… or stay after school if you need me to. I started it, so I shouldn’t be let off the hook scot-free.”

He took a glance at Lucille’s fleeing back.

“And ma’am, could you be easy with her? Lucille was mostly sticking up for me, and this whole mess was my fault.”

He paused.

“And Xylia too.” The word ‘medication’ flashed through Colt’s memory and he took a breath at the thought, “I really screwed her day up.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin & Lucille Faraday

Miss Min watched as Lucille hastily retreated from the scene, off to wash the blood that still clung to her nails. After the door had closed, the teacher seemed to let out a small sigh, closing her eyes for just a moment, before looking back at Colt. Now that she was up close like this, not in front of the like yesterday, the teacher didn't seem as tall or as imposing as yesterday. But for some reason that aura of quiet authority that just oozed from her was even more prevalent. Indeed, it would be hard to argue with her or whatever decisions she had made.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Yes ma’am, just a bump on my head. I’ll go back and help clean up… or stay after school if you need me to. I started it, so I shouldn’t be let off the hook scot-free.”
    Miss Min shook her head.

"According to those who testified about what transpired in the cafeteria, what started this whole... thing... was an accident. I don't punish for accidents, they are only humane," she said sternly. "However, if you wish to do that, I know Jake would be grateful for some help. His job as the school's lone janitor is not an easy one."

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “And ma’am, could you be easy with her? Lucille was mostly sticking up for me, and this whole mess was my fault. ...And Xylia too. I really screwed her day up.”
    Closing her left eye, Sae Min seemed to inspect Colt's face and the expression he wore, almost like she was looking straight through him and into his thoughts. After few seconds, she relented with that stare and offered a quiet nod.

"... Very well. I will take what you've said into account regarding Miss Faraday," she answered. "As for what comes to Miss Pheme, she... well, as you might have already guessed, her problems with society stem from her own mental health. For one incapable of feeling any sort of self-esteem, even something small can feel like it crushes their world. That is the true horror of paranoia that never leaves you. I will attempt to be as gentle as I can with her... and I hope you do the same. I understand that people like her can be hard to get along with, but I am not asking you to be her friend. If you can at least be cordial with her, I am fine with that."

Folding her arms across her chest, the purple-haired teacher looked at Colt, unflinching, waiting for a response.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Lucille Faraday: Friendship Rank Raised!

Colt Davin: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elaine Winters

Elaine looked at Gabi's gentle grip on her own hand with a bemused look, eyes squinting.

"I see we've got a lot to work with here."

It was a challenge, before her, someone this sheltered and unknowing needed to be enlightened, ignorance of this magnitude was too much.

Too much!

So, she needed to begin the instruction immediately!

"Gabi, a hi-five is when people slap palms together in a comradely gesture," She explained, not unkindly, "Like a clap on the shoulder or a pat on the back, but less personal."

While she didn't exactly dislike holding hands (although it seemed a bit intimate), it was always good to explain things.

"Anytime you got a question about something y'don't understand, you can come talk to me, I'll probably know what's up," She jabbed her free hand at her chest boldly, "I'm an expert at knowing things, especially things people don't want me to know."

Hisa Momoi

"Oh, and what comes to your looks? I know there are a lot of superficial people out there, but please don't lump me, or others, together with them. In other words, I bet I am not the only one in Pinefall who finds you plenty attractive despite the scars. As for Travis, well... he seems to be an ass about everything. It's his default response, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it."
    I managed to calm down, but now I was blushing for other reasons. I wasn’t sure if he was just teasing, or if he actually meant what he said; but practically saying that he found me attractive, even with my scars, felt...sort of nice, but then again, that is kind of how it got started with Travis as well...Still, he seemed to be more genuine, passionate, and not at all perverted about it.

“I---I see, I’m sorry for making assumptions, it’s just that...People rarely ever have anything nice to say when they see my scars. So thanks, it makes me happy” I said, while giving the boy a warm smile.

“And...Sorry for misunderstanding, I probably overreacted. It is just that...I’ve been pretty much isolated from society for...a while, and I never had the opportunity to meet too many foreign people in the first place...So there are a bunch of things that I might misunderstand.”

I scratched the back of my head, then gave him an apologetic look.

“Starting out as friends is okay as well, that is exactly what I wanted, I just...kind of misunderstood what you said. At any rate...Do you really insist on going today? Or more like, are you sure that she is going to be there today?”

I stood up from the piano, stretched a bit, then let out a small yawn.

“I couldn’t sleep much last night, and not sure if I could keep myself presentable tomorrow if I skip tonight as well. So unless it is absolutely necessary, I would rather go tomorrow.”

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

“I couldn’t sleep much last night, and not sure if I could keep myself presentable tomorrow if I skip tonight as well. So unless it is absolutely necessary, I would rather go tomorrow.”
    Inacio looked a little surprised, but then nodded to Hisa.

"Well, I don't mind going tomorrow. I know how it can be, going on without enough sleep. Can sap the strength right outta you," he said, hiding a yawn of his own. Perhaps it was contagious, as they said? "And if Carmen Rivers really is somewhere in this town, I doubt she'll disappear in just a day or two. So it should be fine."

While he did say that, it almost looked like Inacio was a little disappointed that Hisa wasn't up to it tonight. Perhaps he had just been looking forward to searching for his musical idol, perhaps there was something else to it, but it seemed that he really wanted to find this person. Even he couldn't hide that much. But, like he said, it was very unlikely that person would just up and disappear like a puff of smoke into the air.

"Still... well, I guess it'll be fine. Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing," Inacio continued, looking outside the window and the overcast sky outside. The grey clouds carpeted the canopy above the world, and from the looks of it, the weather was about to get colder. "Might be just the weather outside. I mean, it looks like it's going to rain at some point..."

He chewed on the inside of his cheek, deep in thought.

"... Just makes me feel something bad is coming, even if there's no reason for it."

That same worry was clear on his face as well.

Hisa Momoi: Friendship Rank Raised!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"If the daughter really is living in the mansion, would like to hear her explanation for letting things get this bad."
    Anna raised her eyebrow at Zane’s words. They held an undercurrent of venom that she didn’t think the other boy really had in him.

“Eh, I wouldn’t blame her too much. If things are truly as you say, then she has been raised by someone with a mental illness for the last fifteen years and lives in complete and total isolation.”

“Who knows if she is even aware of the logging rights.”

"...or aware of much at all, honestly."

Judging by the clear distaste visible on Zane’s face, this was a difficult topic for both him and the townsfolk in general. Well, she couldn’t really blame them, considering that the fortunes of this town basically collapsed due to the issues of one single family. Though… perhaps it was due to her role as an outside, but she couldn’t find it in her heart to blame these McLampets, either. From the looks of it, they were battered by one tragedy after another. It was really no surprise that the lady lost her marbles after what her family had gone through.

If anything the entire situation was kind of tragic. For both Road’s End and the McLampets.

The large schoolhouse came back into view, as the two of them took a turn which led them to the final approach back to Pinefall High.

“What’s her name, by the way?” A small twinkle of amusement flickered in Anna’s eyes. “Who knows? Maybe I’ll run into this lost heir of yours while walking in the woods?”

Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “What’s her name, by the way? Who knows? Maybe I’ll run into this lost heir of yours while walking in the woods?”
    For some reason, Zane also frowned at these words. He glanced the forest spreading out to their left with a sort of difficult expression, like someone looking at something they both respected and... well, hate was a strong word. Perhaps disliked? Of course, thinking back to what the locals used to say about the forest, and what Zane himself had said, it seemed that the forest was a source of lots of problems in this town... along with the livelihood they had lost. It wasn't surprising for the locals to hold some resentment towards the place. But at the same time Zane's emotions seemed a bit... different, even if it was hard to tell why it was.

"Honestly, don't go wandering in the woods if you don't have a reason. They're a treacherous place," he said sternly, looking at Anna once more. "And if you do, stay on the paths. It's really easy to get lost in there, easier than you think. Plus there's... wild animals out there. What I'm trying to say is, Ghostwoods is a place that'd be dangerous even without all the rumors floating about it. Just a little heads up."

While he talked, the two of them arrived to the final stretch of an old country road that turned to the parking lot of Pinefall's campus. This was where Zane stopped, leaning with his hands on his knees for a moment to catch his breath. While the boy was certainly not out of shape, his clothes hadn't done him any favors and he must've been feeling plenty sweaty by this point. Still, he did flash a grin to Anna, despite what must've been an uncomfortable state.

"Anyways, I think I should head back. Bro's gotta be waking up soon and I think I should at least whip up some breakfast for him... though decent pancakes might be outta my reach," he said and chuckled. "Anyways, it was nice to meet you, Anna. Honestly, I was a bit worried 'bout what sorta hoodlum my brother had met... but like I said, you're the type of hoodlum that's okay in my books. So, if you can get out during Saturday, you're welcome to join us for a dinner."

Giving a curt nod as a goodbye, Zane stretched his legs for a moment before starting with a brisk pace back towards the town. Now that he did, it was pretty clear that the boy would have saved a lot of trouble if he had just left while they were at the lighthouse, but perhaps he had had pleasant enough time talking with Anna that he had forgotten all about.

That or he had been too awkward to just leave then and there.

Nevertheless, Zane stopped after ten or so steps, snapping his fingers and turning back to Anna.

"Oh, right, sorry, the name of the McLampet heiress?" Zane spoke up, having remembered the actual question. "Sorry, got caught up in my ominous warnings about the woods."

He made a vague gesture towards the forest.

"Anyways, her name is Leena McLampet. So if you happen to see a blue-haired girl around 16 years of age with that name in the woods, you might've just found her."

And with that, the boy was off.

Anna Vandemeel: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“I can only promise that I’ll try.”

Speaking a plain truth, Colt held eye contact. Putting aside the age gap that called for respectful conduct, this was also a teacher. So he’d respectfully tell the truth, and nothing but the truth.

“She’s not making it easy but I ain’t no giver-upper. I might never be on good terms with her, but at least I hope to drag it out of the negative. I like to think I can get up to zero.”

[SCENE END]

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

"Alright, if I find more mysterious notes aboot offing the minimum wage workers of Road's End, I'll set them aside for you. But even I won't be here all the time, you know? For starters, I should probably head up to eat something and then maybe catch some sleep. The fact that you're here right now tells me I probably spent all night here again."

“Does this mean you’ve been up all night?” I looked at Nora with concern. “You should sleep properly when you can.”

I wasn’t getting anywhere with this paper. I was good at analyzing the information given to me and making the logical decision from it. Analyzing it… My best friend was good at giving me that information... I’m going to need someone else to look at this. But who? There might be people I trust, but did they have the capability? There’s probably someone with the capabilities in Pinefall, but do I trust them?

Regardless, I should read this book further. However, I’m not sure if I should take back with me. I thought about just hiding the book, but what if I can’t find the book again especially in this kind of place. If that’s the case, then I’m not going to hide the fact I’m bringing a tree back. I’m going to bring back a small forest.

I looked around and grabbed a few books. A Latin dictionary. A book that looked similar to the book Nora was reading originally. A musical book for guitars and bass. Then anything interesting looking.

“Nora, I was thinking about checking a couple books out could you show me how to do that?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Nora, I was thinking about checking a couple books out could you show me how to do that?”
    "Oh, sure. I can do that much before I head out myself."

The blue-haired girl nodded and invited Vier a little deeper into the library. There, amidst the rows of bookshelves, they found a large-looking dusty tome set up on a table in one corner of the room. With apparent ease, Nora opened the book on the page marked by the red string tied to the book that acted as a bookmark. Immediately a cloud of dust flew up from the pages as the pages hit the table, causing both of the girls to cough a little. There, one could see two neat columns on both pages. On the other one, names had been written out along with dates when books had been leaned and an address (or a phone number) from which this person could be reached if needed. Lastly there was the date upon which the loaner meant to return the books. And on the opposite column the books they had loaned on that particular date had been listed.

Most of these names belonged to Nora Norumbega, and it looked like she had gone through one third of the library during her stay in here. However, few of the names were different and immediately caught Vier's attention. They were:

• Tommy Horse (Mostly some old military catalogs)
    • Josie McLampet (Books about afterlife and ghosts)
    • Cathie Walker (Self-help books and old numbers of some fashion magazines)
    • Zane & Shane Mitchell (Car-repair manuals, very complicated looking physics books and children's books)
    • Angelica Outis (History of Road's End, Parts 1 & 2)
    • Mao Qiu (Collected maps of Road's End and its surroundings and book called "Lose Weight Without Workout!")

After instructing that Vier should write down her own name and all the needed details, along with the books she was about to borrow, Nora excused herself. With a big yawn, she told the girl that she needed a big helping of bacon, some muffins and 14 hours of sleep if she was going to function tomorrow. With that, the blue-haired girl left, leaving Vier alone in the library.

Alone with the mysterious journal.

Vier Wolff: Friendship Rank Raised!

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I wave my hands wildly when Pyry pats my head, putting them on top of it and glaring at him sulkily for a moment before standing myself and stretching as I walk away.

"Oh yes, I'd forgotten," I say, turning back as I reach the shower doors, my eyes twinkling. "I lied early."

I toss my hair over my shoulder and wink at the two boys in the pool.

"I do like what I see."

[[SCENE END // MOVE TO NEXT PHASE]]
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.