Page 37 of 244 FirstFirst ... 27323536373839424787137 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Streets of Road’s End
    Evening Phase
    Overcast

John Dove walks alone, caring none for the canopy of grey clouds darkening the evening sky, nor the falling temperature. A folded umbrella, however, dangles from his left arm. There are times the hollow world tries particularly hard to capture him in its lies, such as when it afflicts him with the ravages of disease. It is better to prevent the misfortunes preventable. That is the reason the umbrella was the first item in his suitcase the moment he learned he was to be sent—

—discarded—

—to the Pacific Northwest. While John is the kind of person who does his luggage with meticulous care, he is also the kind of person who does not double-check things once he deems them done and over with. Also, in the end, he is as prone to forgetting things as any other human being.

This outing aims to correct that. The destination already in sight: End’s Store and Post.

John Dove is going shopping.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994
    Weather: Overcast

"Hey."

It's the first thing I've said in hours.

The this 'coffee' stuff works. It works real well. I was wide awake and wide-eyed throughout all of class. I could focus on the teacher's lessons, even if they were snore-worthy anecdotes about basic social science that any person old enough to watch cable television would already know by heart. In fact, I was...

...maybe a bit too wide awake.

But it's calmed down now! The hyper excitement from earlier that had permanently etched a manic grin onto my face and had my heart thumping like a jackhammer has calmed down! As have the shakes! And all the other weird sensations that the English language doesn't have words for!

So, when I greet Colt Davin on his way to the cafeteria, it is with utmost coolness.

"I didn't see Xylia in class. Guess it didn't go so well, huh?"

That's disappointing, but...

"Ah well. It happens. Humans are awful at getting along with each other. But at least you tried. That's more than most people can say."

...well, humanity's been disappointing me for a while.

Elise Pelltier

Elise emptied her backpack, discarding her school supplies and book, and immediately stuffing her jacket and a pair of water bottles back into it. She sealed up her backpack, slung it on her back, and set out for town!

I really haven't had a chance to explore the town yet. It'll be a nice chance to get the lay of the land, take in some of the local colour... thought Elise as she left the Dormitory behind, First stop! That general store! I owe Ubon a box of cereal after breakfast this morning, and Jake said that there might be books there. Exclusively books by British authors, but that's hardly a problem.

Oo! I wonder if she has any of those penguin cookies?

Elise set out on a slightly meandering route towards the End's Store & Post.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

As the two of them made their way through the winding trail that led through the dense fir forest, Anna’s thoughts turned back towards the school day. Which, in all honesty, had been sort of a mixed bag. As out of character as it was for the Estonian girl, the math lessons had probably been the most interesting out of the bunch. The violet-haired teacher was also the most sympathetic out of the lot for her, strict but to the point. At the very least, the lack of extraneous nonsense something that the raven-haired girl could respect. The less said about P.E the better. Someone should really put a sock in that guy’s mouth.

And the “social studies” class was pure nonsense.

To begin with, she didn’t give a rats ass about constitutional amendments, presidents, senators, or anything else related to US politics. Which already meant that the vast majority of the lesson was utter nonsense. What little remained were some tidbits about social experiments, which, granted, were at least somewhat interesting. And the teacher was… okay? There probably wasn’t a person alive that could make Anna care about that specific topic, so she had mostly almost completely tuned out the blue-haired teacher in front of the class.

She turned towards her blonde companion only to see him huffing and puffing as they climbed the path.

“You okay there, Gabi? You look a bit winded there.”

Anna had met her blonde classmate at the school gates, just as he was aiming to head out towards the wilderness outside Road’s End. Since their paths were heading towards the same direction anyway, she had decided to tag along, at least part-way. Her reasons for heading into the Ghostwood were a bit different than his, but…

Fundamentally, Anna wanted to get a feel for the forest.

Now Anna would be the first to acknowledge that she didn’t know much about cities, technology, and a lot more besides. But she grew up amidst trees and that most assuredly did not change one bit as she got older. So she knew nature. Maybe not exactly like a tracker or a hunter would, but well enough in her own way.

If these woods were truly as sinister as Zane warned her about then she should be able to at least feel that “atmosphere” to some extent. Rumors rarely came from nowhere, after all. If folks were disappearing in the forest, then there usually was a cause. Anna for her part didn’t believe in “evil” forests. It just didn’t jive with her own past experiences. But she could for sure believe that folks get confused and lost in unfamiliar places. And she could definitely believe that something or someone might be using the Ghostwood as a cover to hide their own skeletons. And if so, then she couldn’t really leave Gabi wandering around in the woods alone.

A tingle of wry amusement shot through the raven-haired girl.

Pfft, look at me playing bodyguard. At my own volition, no less. If Gran saw me now, she’d never let me hear the end of it.

Anna took a deep breath, filling her lungs with cold evening air.

In the distance, the two of them could already make out the opening in the woods that led to the pair’s destination - the Ghostwood Outlook.
    Last edited by Mellon; September 9th, 2019 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)

Even if she felt that unbearable sense of dread, familiar yet haunting all the same, Lucille Faraday still reminded herself to be punctual. Accept things with grace, whether it was victory or loss. And though this was most certainly a loss, she had to own up to her unseemly behavior. If there is to be improvement, there must be acceptance.

And if there is a misdeed, it must be punished. She was not above this fact. If anything, with how infrequently she got into trouble, actually getting into trouble now, so early on into the year, that made her heart pound uncomfortably in her chest. In fact, even though she knew she was doing the right thing, being here, being punctual about it, accepting the consequences…

She still felt scared. Perhaps that fear was healthy, a deterrent to never do such things again. But even if something is good for you, Lucille supposed, that didn’t mean it had to be pleasant.

And as she waited by the door, she felt extremely unpleasant.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff
    [BGM]

Without realizing it, school was over. While I kept my academic performance to a satisfactory level, I completely ignored any opportunities to get into the teacher’s good graces. Which was very suboptimal in terms of making life at school more convenient.

I was distracted by namely one thing, the journal and its mysterious note that was kept in the secure section of my gig bags. I considered leaving it in the Fen’s locked gig bag, but I’m not leaving anything to chance. I could replace anything left in my room. It would be difficult, but I prided myself on my reacquiring everything I need. This book if accurate would be irreplaceable.

The only thing I really managed to do properly today was ask Aleen if she was busy in Evening. She mentioned that she felt like walking around town for a bit. I wasn’t entirely sure on what exactly she was looking for, but I was fine with just wandering around with Aleen.

My logical part of my brain was happy for the chance for more chances to conveniently scope out the town with my not!local guide Aleen. A way to ease myself into being accepted or less watched in the town. This will make movement around town easier as time goes on as I show that I’m not suspicious… In ideal conditions at least.

On a more emotional side of brain, which sounded awfully like my best friend, I just wanted to take this time to relax with Aleen away from all of the increasing stress. My mission was already being hard enough. There is the fact that a student has been replaced with multiple people not noticing. And now there’s a possible complication in a town cult.

I don’t need to stress myself even further so this casual walk with Aleen should do wonders for my stress. Of course, I‘m still taking the journal with me. In fact, you could say that my bag felt heavier than normal. So here I am in front of Aleen’s door… I gave it a casual knock.

“Hey Aleen, you ready yet?”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Elaine Winters

It seemed that the Pinefall High's pool was mostly empty this time of the day as Elaine entered it. The only thing she could hear was the faint sound of some music, turned down low, coming from the PA system for the enjoyment of those who fancied a swim after yet another tiring school day. The strong scent of chlorine hit her nose almost immediately, accompanied by the distinct sound of large mass of water, it's waves and dripping, echoing in the large, hall-like room. The reflections of light form the cerulean water played the walls and the ceiling, casting web-like patterns that shifted and morphed thanks to the aquatic movements.

However, despite the quiet, almost tranquil atmosphere, Elaine quickly realized that she wasn't alone at the pool. And the first person she saw wasn't her cyan-haired friend either. There, laying on the diving board like a languid snake dozing off in the electrical lights shining from the ceiling, was the voluptuous form of Mercedes West - someone who would have probably driven half of their class's male population wild with her current appearance if they ever saw it. Perhaps that was why she had chosen to be here now - as there were no people.

Starlets had their own problems.

In any event, Mercedes seemed to be dozing off, quietly breathing and leaning on her arms while laying flat as a board, stomach against the diving board, her back exposed. She hadn't even heard the door open and close, most likely meaning she was still completely unaware of Elaine's presence.

Still, Mercedes was not alone at the pool. Just like the person had said during the school day, Elaine's ever-energetic friend was also there. In the pool. Lying face down in the water and spread in an X-stance like she had been a water strider. Slowly floating back and forth and carried by the quiet waves of the pool. Completely still, like she hadn't moved for hours. A mop of turquoise hair undulating back and forth in the water like a jellyfish.

... What was going on here?

"Blub blub blub..." Ubon let out, and bubbles floated to the surface.

John Dove & Elise Pelltier
    [BGM]

Finding the only real general store that was still open at Road's End was surprisingly hard task, one that required consulting the local town map near the railroad tracks. Even there, it had been just marked down as 'Post Office' but with some detective work it was possible to deduce that this was indeed the same place. From there it was just a hop-skip-and-a-jump to the old-looking brick building that stood in the corner of Pike St. and Timber Road. The place had seen better days, just like the rest of the town, but it was quite interesting to see an actual red-brick-building in the middle of the more typical architecture of Pacific Northwest. At the very least it was unique, and the wooden sign that hung from a metal pole (one that read End's Post and had '& Store' written underneath it) had been meticulously taken care of. As for the signs of life, well... at the very least there was a small blackboard sign set up outside, one that informed that all ice cream was half-off today.

Well, winter was approaching. Maybe they wanted to get rid of the stock before snow came?

As John Dove entered the building, opening the old wooden door, he could hear a happy chime of a bell somewhere in the back room. The interior of the store itself was nicely decorated even if the large windows were currently under a rather thick layer of dust. Well, thick layer of dust and thick layer of 'British'. Just about everything in the store screamed God Save the Queen, starting from the word Blackpool taped onto the window and ending up somewhere near the Union Jack put on display behind the counter.

However, before the boy could taken in the rather alarming sights more, the door opened up again and the bell chimed, revealing a familiar face stepping inside the store.

Elise Pelltier?

... Huh.

The world was a small place indeed.

"I'm coming, I'm coming! Just holdup a moment, loves!"

Apparently as a response for the bell ringing again, a female voice hollered that from the back room and soon enough the two Pinefall students could see someone emerging from there, wiping her hands with a rag and exhaling like she had just been lifting some heavy stuff. The source of the voice turned out to be a rather short woman with colorful hair and a cheerful smile on her face, one that turned a degree brighter when she didn't recognize the two youngsters standing in the store. Indeed it was the youthfulness of that expression and her face in general which made it hard to determine this woman's age... though who she was was rather clear.

She had to be the owner of End's Store & Post - Sue Popplewell.

"Well good evening there, loves!" The owner said brightly and set aside the rag, leaning with her hands on the counter. "What can I getcha? Or just looking around, on the account you're new?"

That seemed to make the woman realize something, as her expression took on a hint of surprise.

"Oh? Would you happen to be new students from Pinefall?"

New Person Met!

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “You okay there, Gabi? You look a bit winded there.”
    The raven haired girl's compatriot looked at her and immediately Anna saw... well, quite the sight. Gabi's hair was practically standing up thanks to the sweat and his whole face (especially his cheeks) was red as a tomato from the exertion. It was beginning to dawn to Anna quite quickly that Gabi had never been the most 'fit' of boys. Indeed, even during today's volleyball his greatest contribution had been taking an accidental spike from Cesarina Feroce straight to his face, which then bounced back up and allowed Pyry to slam the ball to the other side. However, since the two of them had started ascending the snaking path through the Ghostwood National Forest, up towards the overlook, the boy had been breathing rather heavily, to the point that it was even audible.

Yes, his noodle-arms didn't lie. Gabi was horrible at sports and at anything physical. That much was clear.

That explained why he currently looked like he was sulking, his mouth practically resembling an upside-down letter V.

"... this was a mistake..." Gabi muttered, sluggishly moving one foot after another. "... hiking is a mistake... should be erased... mom hates it too..."

Despite the boy's words being as quiet and impassive as ever, even Anna could hear a certain sense of 'determination' coming from them. Why on earth he got determined at this point was anyone's guess, but it might've been because Anna herself was not showing any signs of fatigue. So while Gabi was huffing and puffing like the world's tiniest steam engine (and quite a cute one at that, too), he was certainly doing his best. It was like the boy to show off, so the other option was that he didn't want to be a burden to the girl who had decided to take this trip with him.

As considerate as ever, this boy.

"... anyways, why... going to the top...?" Gabi asked, nodding towards the approaching overlook. "... want to see the sights...?"

He tilted his head, genuinely curious.

Lucille Faraday

A moment's silence, and then---

"Miss Faraday? Come in."

As usual, the voice of Sae Min carried such an authority that there was really no arguing it when she told a student to do something. Heck, she was even the type that could make a ruffian like Travis Gagnon sit quietly in their seat by glaring at him for a moment and then telling him to "Settle down. Now." Thus, when she ordered Lucille to enter, the blonde girl didn't really have a choice. As she entered, the sight of the de facto vice-principal's office, separated from the rest of the faculty office and situated across the hallway from it, spread before her eyes.

It was a... surprise, to say the least.

One would have expected a woman like Sae Min to have an office as meticulously arranged and tidy as she herself was, but the room couldn't have been more different. Everything seemed to have been haphazardly set up, with hundreds of books lining the walls on shelves and even more books spread out across the tabletops. All sort of boxes and other nick-knacks were here and there in the room, giving it a slightly chaotic feel, along with the dust hanging in the air. Diplomas, degrees, awards and all sorts of papers framed had been put on the walls and just one glance revealed that they all belonged to the violet-haired teacher. It seemed that despite focusing on math as a teacher, she seemed very well versed in psychology as well.

And speaking of the teacher... she was currently sitting on her leather chair, having sunk into its soft depths halfway and looking like some sort of foreign doll that brought the whole room together. Her eyes were glued to a thick-looking file in her hands, papers after papers she was glancing through. Not only that, but Lucille could see her own name stamped onto the cover of the file, meaning that it was probably the blonde's own medical and psychological record.

Still, while Sae Min had called Lucille into the office, the teacher showed no signs of acknowledging her presence. Instead she continued to focus on the file, reading through it slowly and silently.

... And thus did awkward, silent seconds pass by, as indicated by the ticking of the old clock on the wall.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Hey Aleen, you ready yet?”
    "J-just a second!"

There was an awful sound of someone rummaging through clothes, throwing on an attire only to discard it and curses to go along with such a task. It seemed that Aleen was in the middle of choosing what to wear... and was having trouble deciding. The few students that passed by Aleen's door gave some amused looks at Vier and the door she stood next to, thanks to a rather colorful words of annoyance streaming out through it. And thus, some fifteen minutes later, Aleen finally opened the door and poked her head out of it.

"Super sorry, Vier! I'm ready now!" The blue-haired girl said, looking slightly flustered and exhausted. "Let's get going!"

And with that, Aleen emerged... and it became clear why she had had such a trouble with her clothing. The girl was dressed far fancier than she usually was, with color-coordinated jacket, miniskirt and top. She was even wearing stockings and shoes with slightly raised heels. Not only that but she had dolled up her face as well, having probably spent a good hour making sure her make-up was both striking and subdued... even though the blue eyeliner might have been too much, considering her red eyes and already-blue hair.

Aleen was even holding onto a leather purse and a clear fragrance of pricey perfume floated around her.

This was... new.

"W-what?" Aleen asked, sensing that Vier was looking at her strangely. "Do I got something on my face?"

You could say that, you really could.

Elaine Winters

Elaine gently set her towel down off to the side away from the pool and surveyed her surroundings with a grave air.

Particularly the two supine individuals lazing about, the starlet lounging on the diving board like some sort of large cat, and Ubon currently face-down in the pool, floating like she'd been there for hours.

If not for the occasional 'blub-blub', you'd think she was dead.

Personally, the blonde girl didn't think there was much chance of finding some lost cyclopean city in the bottom of a swimming pool, but what did she know.

Was on the right ocean, anyway.

Hm.

"Sup, West Coast," She greeted the dozing girl, quietly slipping into the pool, a pair of goggles around her neck, "Life treatin' you good?"

An easy greeting, polite but not too familiar, fitting for someone she hadn't exchanged even two words with.

She swam through the water towards Ubon with easy, experienced movements, albeit stiff from her prior exertions.

"What about you, Ubon, you good?"

This greeting, however, was laced with an undercurrent of concern, the blonde girl treading water next to her supine friend, well-trained body easily keeping her afloat.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    End’s Store & Post
    Evening Phase
    Overcast

…charming.

That is John’s first thought on the store’s decorative theme. Maybe he is a bit old-fashioned, or maybe he has spent so many years trapped in urban America than anything different feels better solely by virtue of being different. For some as-of-yet-undiscovered reason, it gives him a pleasant, maybe even nostalgic feeling, but that might just be him projecting his own desires onto this quaint store.

Well, not that it matters. In any case, if he has to give an initial assessment, John would say that, yes, he likes End’s Store & Post.

And then Elise Marie Pelltier shows up.

…huh.

John can think of a number of reasons she is here at this precise moment in time. On one hand, she too might have a need to purchase goods, and this is merely an amusing coincidence. On the other, she is (rather unsubtly) following him because she already holds suspicion towards him. Neither end of the paranoia spectrum surprises or bothers him in any way, so his outward expression remains unchanged. He merely acknowledges her presence with a curt nod.

“Elise.”

Quote Originally Posted by ???
    "I'm coming, I'm coming! Just holdup a moment, loves!"
    John Dove is considerably more interested in the shop owner—he is in that building to shop, after all, the lady’s youthful loveliness notwithstanding. Inevitably, his eyes catch the variation in shades of light and dark filling the canvas that is her hair. It is something the likes of which he has never seen before, so he is quite attracted to it. He tries to hide the fact he is staring, all the while completely aware that women can always tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Popplewell
    That is as good a cue as any.

“That we are, miss. My name is John Dove.”

For a fraction of a second, he regrets blurting out his name willy-nilly like that. The matters of the far past are not what bothers him—the laws of this country protect him with the veil of anonymity. No, it is not the distant past which concerns him, but the more recent past and the looming present. The true reason his caretakers used to get rid of him; to dump him on Mr. Oceandrop and his little philanthropic project. What if the rumors have somehow reached this remote corner of the nation?

Well, what is done is done.

As for Elise, he sees no need in introducing her—she is perfectly capable of doing it herself, and it is not as if they came together.

“It appears I will be your customer for the next year, so I thought it only proper to introduce myself. Get to know the place, that sort of thing. Do let me say that I kind of like it here already.”

He shrugs.

“Didn’t know this is my kind of thing until I saw it.”

A hand sinks in the pants’ pocket. For a moment, he fiddles around the trinket he always carries with him, but soon enough he latches to the folded piece of paper and reveals it to the world.

“Though, I do have some things I am looking for.”

He glances at the first item on the list: insect repellent.

It is true he had been teasing Ubon when he brought it up, but he was not lying. There are ticks and all sorts of other bugs in these forests, and they could have easily found in the old Pinefall building a home to roost, especially with so much of it unused.

The stray thought of buying one for the Thai girl pops up in his mind, but that seems like the cue for another Munchian outburst, and he would rather avoid that.

However, before dealing with the shopping list, there is this thing…

...he glances at the rag set aside, and considers the moment when she first appeared.

“Um, Miss, do excuse me for being meddlesome, but by any chance, do you need any help?”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille looked around the room, trying not to seem very fidgety. She’d gone in obediently, but now that she was here, with Miss Min not saying anything, she couldn’t help but feel apprehensive.

The room itself was rather messy, she thought, but some people probably worked better that way, or, at the very least, weren’t ingrained with many edicts about appearances. A plethora of accolades covered the wall, showing off the experience the vice-principal had. Experience in psychology seemed rather normal, especially considering the nature of the school. Lucille could even see her own profile being read right in front of her, while Miss Min made no acknowledgement that the subject of said file was right in front of her.

The seconds ticked awkwardly. In these situations, Lucille was never certain if she had to break the silence or let it sort itself out. Some people preferred if you took initiative, whereas others would rather have you wait. As Lucille had been waited on for many an occasion, her ability to determine which category Sae Min belonged to was downright poor, if not impossible. Still, in these sorts of situations…

Obedience was key.

So, despite the dread in her heart, Lucille Faraday silently waited to be spoken to.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"... anyways, why... going to the top...?"

"... want to see the sights...?"
    “Hah. Pretty much.”The girl in red gave a small shrug. “Besides, while I do enjoy heading off the beaten path from time to time, one should probably check the stuff near the paths first, right?”

“Has to be a reason why the paths lead to where they do in the first place.” Anna gave the blonde boy a small grin. “Also, seeing a hill always makes me want to climb it, y’know?”

Gabi was huffing like an out of control locomotive, though Anna could still see a determined glint in the blonde’s eyes. From the looks of it, it was less due to pride and more due to a desire to not weigh her down. Honestly, he could have asked her to slow down, but… well, she could understand why he didn’t. In any case, maybe she had been setting a bit of a fast of a pace for the ascent. It was sometimes quite difficult for the Estonian girl to keep track of these things, as she had always done most of her hiking and exercise alone.

Anna opened up her backpack and pulled out a large one-and-a-half liter bottle of water that she had filled up at the dorm, extending it towards Gabi. Meanwhile, her pace slowed a bit, allowing the blonde to keep up with her better.

“You want a drink?” A moment later, the red-eyed girl asked a question of her own. “And you? Any reason you decided to join me on this trip to the woods?”

“Trying to find out if all the ghost tales are real?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    "J-just a second!"
    Is this how it’s going to be every time I stop by Aleen’s room? Do I have to teach her time management skills to her as well? Because while I’m a very patient person, some other people are very strict on their timetables…

Naturally while, I’m waiting here and musing to myself on how to improve Aleen. I’m just hearing a lot of rustling, cursing, and various other noises. Naturally, this got everyone’s attention as they looked at me casually waiting outside of the door and heard the constant Aleen noises from beyond the door. I waved at everyone cordially and spared a few words with them as needed.

"Super sorry, Vier! I'm ready now! Let's get going!"
    After hearing that, the door finally opened to reveal Aleen. What I was expecting was a very casual and practical outfit that didn’t draw attention to her. What I got was something entirely different. Aleen… looked really nice.

While her style was normally eye-catching and fashionable, it was also very casual. An approachable kind of beauty if you can get past her thorns. Right now, I’m sure that if someone had to rate Aleen right now…

Solid 10/10. Okay, maybe 9/10 depending on your preferences with blue eyeliner. Beyond that, she was wearing a color-coordinated outfit that elevated Aleen’s natural loveliness. Her makeup was very carefully placed on with the work starting as soon as we got out of class.

"W-what? Do I got something on my face?"
    “No… You just look really nice Aleen. For a brief second, I actually thought it was worth waiting here for a bit,” I glanced up and down Aleen. “Are we going for more than just a walk around town? If that’s the case, I might be a little underdressed...”

My smile turning slightly teasing as my last sentence getting closer to the end.

“Anyways looking to impress the townspeople? You just might with that look. So let’s get going before they can’t see it anymore.”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I brush off my skirt lightly, looking at myself in the mirror. I try for a smile, and then immediately frown at how it looks. I'm really not as normal as I'm trying so desperately to pretend, am I?

Ah well. That's just how life goes. Tossing my hair over my shoulder, I lazily exit the room, searching for a certain chipper Italian girl who I've declared to be my friend.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Understatement of the century, shrimp.”

Colt grumbled back. The part of him that felt like it would have been better to leave things as they stood after breakfast, that he shouldn’t have gone after her, tried to rip its way out and take a shot at blaming Prushka. But that side lost, and what spoke to her was the other side. The defeated side.

The side that was getting ready to hang its head and mop up grease.

“I think I ruined more than a day or a year for that girl.”

He slumped his shoulders and looked down, and then a little more down, to the much smaller girl.

“So, come here to tell me to take another swing? That I’m only on my second strike, and I still need one more before I get tossed back in the dugout?”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"..."

You don't need to be a genius to tell what's going on. Things really, really didn't go so well, huh? I haven't seen someone look this mopey since... well, ever.

Um. What do I do? I've never been in a situation like this before!

You're supposed to cheer people up when they're down, right!? Tell them to get back up and keep fighting? But wait, no, that can't be right. After all...

"You gave it your best shot, right? If it's impossible, then there's no point in going at it again."

Yep. That's just how reality is. Some people are just so broken that you can't expect an amateur to fix them.

That's why you call an expert in to do it!

I'll handle you later, Xylia Pheme! But right now, the idiot in front of me is a priority!

"I just wanted to say thanks. For trying."

I'm not apologizing. Things going sour wasn't my fault, so there's nothing to feel guilty for. I didn't make any mistakes. And I'm not apologizing for calling him an idiot, because he is one. But that doesn't mean I'm not involved.

Besides, when a human does the right thing, he deserves to know it. That's how positive reinforcement works.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“I don’t get what you have to thank me for.”

Colt looked back ahead, the cafeteria getting closer now. In total honesty, cleaning a mess like the one this morning didn’t register as a punishment to him. It would make a good distraction from the problems that popped up today, and truth be told, there was a certain satisfaction in leaving something cleaner than you found it.

“But writing it off as impossible and just giving up isn’t the right thing to do either.” He scratched the back of his head, making clear how lost he felt with the whole situation. Including talking about it. “I feel a bit more than out of my league with that girl, but I also don’t think I’m supposed to just duck out after getting shot in the foot.”

Stopping, he tilted his head for a minute. Staring into empty space in deep contemplation, before looking back down toward Prushka again.

“Come to think of it, why’d ya care so much about this scuffle anyway? Are you friends with Xylia?”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Hm? I don't know Xylia at all. Never met her, never spoke to her, don't even remember her. I'm planning on talking to her when I get the chance, but that really doesn't have anything to do with it."

I'll follow Colt until the cafeteria, at least. If I take too much time it'll be night before I get where I need to go.

"But if you see something wrong, you have to do something about it, right? Unless it's totally impossible."

I stop as we reach the double doors.

"And thanking someone is important. Not for their actions, but for their feelings."

Well... he probably won't get it. It's not really something a human can understand very well.

Though... now I'm a bit curious, too. Subaru said Xylia's mean and unfriendly, so why's Colt trying to be friends with her? It's not like he understands her or anything. If he did, he'd have been able to fix things.

"What about you, Mr. Janitor? You sat there for a reason, right?"

Elise Pelltier

Elise reached the old brick building that housed the local post office and general store.

Post office first, and then general store? Interesting. It must have happened after the death of Howell McLampet. Did the old store go out of business, and the old post office stepped up to fill the void, or did the old general store and post office just amalgamate at some point? Hm, probably not a mystery to lose sleep over, pondered Elise as she approached the building.

Elise paused suddenly when she noticed the blackboard sign outside the shop.

Wait. Half-off ice cream? Score! thought Elise cheerfully as she entered, I really picked the right day to visit this place.

She entered, the store's bell chiming as she opened the door. Her eyes instantly spotting the large Union Jack hanging on the wall behind the counter.

Yep. This is the right place, thought Elise as she scanned the store in all its British glory, ... 'That sort of hobby', Jake? Câlice! It's like she imported a piece of the island.

It was then that she spotted John Dove who'd noticed her entering the store.

John!? What are you doing here? thought Elise, ... Shopping probably. It's a small town, and not to mention it's the only store in town.

Still... this is an awfully suspicious coincidence...

Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    “Elise.”
    "Hey John! Wish I knew you were heading to the store after school too, we could've walked here together!" said Elise cheerfully.

I am happy to see him. This is just... a coincidence. That's all. Nothing sinister. I'm sure.

There was voice came from the back room, and soon after the owner of the store emerged.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Popplewell
    Quote Originally Posted by John Dove
    "Hello! I'm Elise Pelltier!" said Elise, following John's lead and introducing herself, "Also a new student from Pinefall. Pleased to meet you! I'm just browsing right now."

As John talked to the merchant, presumably the Sue that Jake had mentioned, Elise took a moment to explore the End's Store and Post. Keeping an eye out for books, sugary cereal, and 50% off ice cream.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "What about you, Ubon, you good?"
    A moment's quiet, few seconds when absolutely nothing in Ubon seemed to move... and then, just as suddenly, the cyan-haired rocket shot up from the water, pushing herself into a small jump of frustration with her legs. Water splashed everywhere in a big arc as Ubon threw her arms up, her face concentrated into a ridiculously huge pout that just seethed of frustration. It seemed like her emotional moroseness from the morning had disappeared, and now she was once again going at it with pure 80-miles-per-hour in the eyes.

As for her answer?

"MERDE'S A TOTAL JEEEEEEERK!"

This was accompanied by Ubon throwing an accusing finger towards the lounging starlet, who was startled out of her dozing by this sudden yell. Mercedes grimaced and threw a dirty look towards the cyanhead, practically staring daggers at the other girl. Whatever was going on here, it seemed that Elaine's appearance had restarted something that had already ended.

"At least, like, call me Merci if you have to twist my name in to French, you little shit! Gawd, you're totally unbearable!" Mercedes shot back. "Besides, you're, like, the one who stepped up to me! You wanted a race, I gave you a race! Just cause you lost don't mean you get to, like, be a total bitch about it!"

Ubon's lower lip quivered dangerously, like she was holding back a very un-Ubon like stream of insults. It seemed that even her cheerful attitude didn't extend to interactions with the actress. Then again, Mercedes West did have an unfortunate habit of rubbing everyone she met the wrong way. Case in point, now that the starlet deemed to acknowledge Elaine's presence, she did by giving her one look as if checking her out... and then adopting a slightly smug smirk.

Almost like saying: "Still no competition, huh?"

"Ellieee, Merde's bullying meee~!" Ubon whined, swimming behind the blonde so that she was put between the two girls. "Make her paaaay!"

Mercedes, who had sat up to a lotus position, rolled her eyes at the two of them.

"Puh-lease. If I was, like, bullying you, you'd be bawling your eyes out like you were this morning in the cafeteria," she answered. "Or what, you need your meatshield to act, like, as your tissue again?"

During the last part, Mercedes cocked an eyebrow at Elaine.

John Dove & Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Hello! I'm Elise Pelltier! Also a new student from Pinefall. Pleased to meet you! I'm just browsing right now."
    The young lady behind the counter beamed a smile at both of them, mouthing both their names as if to make sure she remembered them. Then again, it wasn't that weird in a place like this. Small stores like this lived and died by their customer service, so it would have been important for her to remember everyone's name and face.

"Well then John, Elise, welcome to my little slice of heaven," the woman said and gestured at the shop with her hand. "I'm Sue, Sue Popplewell. I guess you could call me the owner of this place. No, not just guess... I mean, I am the owner, ahaha~"

She flushed a little at her own weird words, but quickly brushed it aside. And while her tone and expression might have given a slight impression of an airheaded person, she did seem genuinely happy to see new faces at her store.

“It appears I will be your customer for the next year, so I thought it only proper to introduce myself. Get to know the place, that sort of thing. Do let me say that I kind of like it here already. Didn’t know this is my kind of thing until I saw it. Though, I do have some things I am looking for.”
    "Oh? Well, that's swell to hear!" Sue smiled again, folding her arms against her chest and looking mighty proud. "I know some of the locals don't like it, but the way I see it, at least this store's good ol' British sovereign soil! And since I don't wanna get homesick, I figured I'd just surround myself with my home and, well... suddenly it ended up like this!"

As if to emphasize her point, Sue poked at the four paperweight on the counter, each one shaped to look like a deep blue police box... for some reason.

“Um, Miss, do excuse me for being meddlesome, but by any chance, do you need any help?”
    For a moment Sue looked surprised, before she followed John's gaze at the rag she had set aside. Then she giggled a bit, and shook her head. It was a rather melodious sound, pleasant to ear just like her smile.

"Oh, that? Nah, no need to worry. I've just been cleaning up in the back. It gets quite dusty every now and then, so I've been doing some inventory and dusting the place off at the same time," Sue explained. "Nothing a strong lass like me couldn't handle!"

She patted her own non-existent bicep muscles with gusto.

Lucille Faraday
    [BGM]

All in all, Lucille had stand some good five minutes in total silence while Miss Min continued to ignore her, focusing instead on the report of the girl before her. Nothing but the slowly ticking clock and the occasional rustle of a turning paper could be heard. However, after those agonizingly long minutes had passed and the teacher had finished with the file, she closed it slowly and set it aside on the table and leaned on it with her elbows, her finger steepled. Those violet eyes of hers, like two blots of infinite ink, turned to look at Lucille.

They truly were eyes that could make one feel small before their owner.

"... Good afternoon, Miss Faraday," Miss Min greeted the blonde, before nodding towards the chair next to her. "Sit."

As Lucille sat down, the teacher seemed to be analyzing something about her. Maybe it was her mannerisms, perhaps it was her expression... it could have even been what Lucille herself paid attention to. There was something similar to someone performing a cold reading to the way Sae Min looked at people, and right now it was even more pronounced. Her mind seemed to be always thinking behind those dark eyes of hers, constantly on the move.

And once the blonde student was seated, Miss Min began voicing those thoughts.

"Now. I've read Mister Brigg's report on what transpired this morning in the cafeteria," she began, her voice surprisingly deep for a woman of her stature. "However, there were no witnesses to what happened afterwards, once Miss Pheme, Mister Davin and you had left the main building."

Her eyes narrowed a bit.

"Could you tell me about it... with your own words?"

Anna Vandemeel

“You want a drink?”
    Gabi practically dove for the bottle. He opened it up and began gulping down the water, looking more like a puppy suckling on a teat than someone quenching their thirst. In his tiny hands, the bottle looked ridiculously large... but at the very least, it seemed to make him feel a little bit better, no matter if it looked all kinds of silly. Once satisfied (and having drank much less water than Anna had anticipated), Gabi quietly handed the bottle back and wiped his mouth.

... And proceeded to look a little awkward after having shown Anna such behavior.

“And you? Any reason you decided to join me on this trip to the woods? Trying to find out if all the ghost tales are real?”
    It seemed that this slowed-down pace of walking seemed to fit Gabi much better, as now he didn't have to take quite as long strides to keep up with the girl. He pondered Anna's question for a moment, tilting his head and putting his hand over his mouth, deep in thought. Ten seconds or more passed in silence as Gabi thought about something.

Until the boy shook his head out of nowhere.

"... not exactly... I'm not good with... ghost stories..." Gabi answered and blushed a little. "... wanted to get somewhere high up... access to sky... need a clear view without light..."

As if to explain something further, the boy rummaged through his small backpack as they walked, before he emerged with something that looked sleek, white and long. It was a tube-shaped container. Other than that, a collapsible tripod could be seen in the backpack as well, along with lots of papers that looked like charts.

"......... it's a telescope..." the boy eventually admitted.

Vier Wolff

“No… You just look really nice Aleen. For a brief second, I actually thought it was worth waiting here for a bit. Are we going for more than just a walk around town? If that’s the case, I might be a little underdressed...”
    Aleen blinked, looking a bit surprised.

"O-oh, is it too much?" She asked, giving herself a bit of a doubting second look. "I... I figured I'd put something nice on for a proper visit to the town, b-but I guess I overdid it, aha, ahahaha..."

Her awkward laugh died as quickly as it had begun, being punctuated by a heavy sigh and slumped shoulders. It seemed that Aleen had now realized this wasn't exactly like her, both the attire and her make-up. Indeed, they were bit more than casual and weren't exactly something one would have worn for a casual stroll through the town. Just one glance at her informed that there was something else going on, and maybe the girl had some other plans than to just walk around Road's End.

Yeah, that look of "I think I've been caught" just screamed that Aleen had been planning on something else entirely.

“Anyways looking to impress the townspeople? You just might with that look. So let’s get going before they can’t see it anymore.”
    Flushing slightly red, Aleen puffed her cheeks in protest before throwing her arms up and letting out a frustrated groan, turning on her heels and heading right back towards her door.

"Nooope! I knew it'd look weird! I'll take it back!" She exclaimed. "I'm not looking to impress anyone so why would I dress like this! Gah, what was I thinking!?"

This... might take a moment longer.

Alexstrasza Lockhart

"I do not get it. It is supposed to be a show about nothing, right? ... But, this is clearly something!"

As Alexstrasza approached the common room, she could hear a familiar voice that she had been looking for. Peeking around the corner, the blonde girl did indeed find Cesarina Feroce... but she was not alone. Instead, she was with another familiar face, one that Alexstrasza had seen this morning. In other words, she saw the lanky, impossibly tall form of Pyry Leijonamieli a he was lounging on one of the old leather couches, his feet dangling out of the other end. It seemed that the boy had really decided to make himself home, as his bare toes were wriggling to and fro, having not even socks to cover them.

But he wasn't the only one. Cesarina, who had taken over one of the recliners, wasn't wearing her usual military-style garb. Instead she sported a T-shirt and jeans, a very casual look for the girl. She had even let her hair down, looking like she had just exited the shower thanks to its small dampness. Well, that and the clear smell of shampoo hanging in the air. The girl had even thrown her towel on the back of the chair.

As for what the duo were doing... well, they were watching TV. Alexstrasza could see some insipid-looking man in a rather frilly-looking shirt arguing with another, taller man with frizzy hair who was smoking a cigar. Apparently there was something wrong with the situation as the two kept arguing and, from some group of people not shown on the television, laughter could be heard again and again.

"No, it's not that the show's about nothing," Pyry answered, lazily gesturing towards the TV. "It's just that... well, the plot lines are mundane. I mean, just look at this. That's something that could happen to anyone, right?"

Cesarina peered at the TV-screen as woman entered and started laughing at the insipid-looking man.

"No... No, I do not think anyone could have this happen to them. It is highly unlikely," she answered. "Even in that sense the show is clearly about something!"

Pyry shrugged at that, apparently having no further arguments. He then looked at the TV... and grimaced.

"... Goddammit I hate reruns."

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Uh, no.”

Colt cocked an eyebrow at the vertically-challenged girl. Giving her the kind of look that worried if her mental faculties were all in order, he rolled his eyes.

“Who in their right mind would willingly sit next to copperhead?”

Colt shot his thumb at himself.

“Definitely not me. I was half asleep, could barely see which ways was straight this morning! I couldn’t ship my alarm speakers all the way out here, and until my new set shows up I’m gonna be like that every morning.”

He chewed on the inside of his cheek for a second, half grumbling only a few intelligible words.

“Mornin’ folk… never gonna make sense.”