Page 54 of 244 FirstFirst ... 4444952535455565964104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Elise Pelltier
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gagnon
    "Eh... wasn't it that dwarf-sized egomaniac, Xylia Pheme? The one that looks like she'd double-over with one punch? The one that was super tryhard during the introductions. 'Little shit' as Mercedes West commented, or something."
    "Yeah! That was her. Thanks, Travis."

Elise paused for a moment as she mulled over this information.

Travis too, eh? So what makes Travis, and Pyry different from John and I? For that matter, what makes John and I different from them? I can think of a few possibilities, and I can't say that I like any of them.

Still... it sounds like they all experienced an entirely different version of the day... I certainly don't know anything about Xylia's "super tryhard" introduction. How deep does this go? Uhg, I'm really regretting not keeping a diary right now. Who's even remembering that day right?

"... And what if there is? Are you expecting me to suddenly remember something and go: 'Oh, right, hello. My name is Travis Gagnon, and I'm a registered sex-offender'? Oh goddammit, that's rich! I wouldn't even fondle that bitch's tits even if they paid me! So yeah, don't worry about that. Ain't nothing actual things like that between us. What I meant was that the guy I mentioned... he always shows up at the worst time."
    Travis had leaned in close enough for the acrid scent of his cigarettes to fill her nostrils.

Gah! Too close! You should hang out with Sakura too and have no concept of personal space together!

Elise sighed with relief when Travis drew back.

"A man with impeccable timing who just wants to kick you then?" asked Elise rhetorically, "... I think I can understand his motivations."

"... Though, then again, you're the one who wants to break into the closed-off sections of the school. Guess you're not that worried about your reputation."
    As if on cue, two cars full of their fellow students drove passed them, splashing through a large puddle, sending an arc of water in the direction of Elise and Travis in their wake. Travis reacted quickly, in a remarkably considerate act. Lifting up the side of his coat to block the water and save them from being soaked.

Elise watched the two vehicles continue down the road towards town, recognizing both of them from the Pinefall High parking lot. Travis suddenly burst into a laugh.
    "Well! Look at that. I think that's half of our class, stuffed in two cars, heading to have some good time wherever. Guess you picked the wrong option. Could've been out there having fun with people like you, and instead you're here, stuck with an asshole like me. Alone. Just the two of us."
    "I'm sure they'd all be more pleasant company, but both of those cars looked pretty cramped. I'm not sure if I'd want to be a sardine," said Elise, "And besides, I don't particularly mind walking in the rain. Risk of soakers aside."

That's a lot of people to fit into a car... I wonder where they're all off to on a day like this?

"Just think of the slanderous rumours!"
    Elise glowered at his suggestive eyebrow wiggle.

Uhg, yuck. Can you imagine how cliché that would be? I'm sure our peers have better imaginations than that.

Although... maybe I should be worried if they have better imaginations than that.

Elise looked away from Travis and his eyebrows, and looked down at the large puddle on the side of the road as they walked by it, so recently disturbed by the passage of two cars. The waves left by the passage of the vehicles slowly began to settle down, leaving the ripples made by the falling raindrops to reassert themselves.

"By the way, thanks for blocking that big splash of water," said Elise, "I don't think it matters who you put behind the wheel of a car, everyone just suddenly lose all consideration for pedestrians when they're drive. Not that they could have realistically avoided that puddle anyway."

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "By the way, thanks for blocking that big splash of water. I don't think it matters who you put behind the wheel of a car, everyone just suddenly lose all consideration for pedestrians when they're drive. Not that they could have realistically avoided that puddle anyway."
    Travis snorted.

"What? You think I did that for you? Quit dreaming, Chipmunk. Just didn't want to get my undies wet... more than they already are," he shot back and cackled. "But you got that right. People get inconsiderate when they're separated from others. Once their actions don't directly cause harm to others they can see... well, they just forget all about it. It's a good thing to remember, really."

Looking at Elise sideways, Travis smiled an odd smile that held within it a hint of danger. Talk this philosophical sounded strange, coming from the boy's mouth, but the way he said it was... off-putting, in a way. Like he knew what he was talking about, and was only making a thinly veiled allegory to something else completely.

"As long as you just don't regard other people, you can be as shitty with them as you want," the boy continued. "And you don't even feel a bit of guilt. Funny, ain't it?"

It was a disturbing sort of advice... the type one could easily imagine coming form someone like Travis.

No wonder he laughed so rudely afterwards...

--- 20 Minutes Later ---

As unpleasant as Travis was for company when it came to walking, at the very least he had held back a little when it came to mocking. By the time the two of them reached the town of Road's End, the boy had only ridiculed Elise's intelligence five times and firmly cemented that he wasn't going to call her anything else but "Chipmunk"... a mocking nickname that he had grown very fond of - especially after sensing that being implied to be short had hit a nerve with the brunette girl.

But, finally, they had reached their destination... and now Elise and Travis stood on the corner of the street, staring at the completely empty streets of Road's End, taking shelter from the rain under an awning . Silence was deafening, as was the sound of droplets hitting the pavement in a pattern of rhythm that was hard to make out. To break the silence, Travis lit up his third cigarette of the evening, signaling that just maybe the boy was more of an addict than he realized.

"A'ight, keep your eyes open, Chipmunk," Travis commented, nodding towards the empty streets. "You see that Moose, you let me know. Chances are, she's skulking from one alleyway to another, trying to stay out of sight. Or arguing with a local shopkeeper or something. Ugh, just look for anyone who's clearly not a local."

Well, that bit with the shopkeeper explained why the two of them were now standing not far from the local general store: "End's Store & Post." Though, as empty as the streets were, this was beginning to seem more and more like a waste of time. Travis couldn't expect to actually find someone just by standing at a random street corner and keeping his eyes peeled, right?

Though, maybe, if one paid attention, something interesting might be spotted. It was a small town full of small town secrets, after all...

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Pyry
    "... When did the two of them start hanging out?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Pyry, gossiping is no good. If you're curious, the best thing is to stop and ask them!"
    “He was just stating what he saw, nothing wrong with that...Like, there is nothing wrong with the two of them hanging out in the first place. Would actually be nice if Travis made some friends, maybe someone who could get on his good side…”

If he even has one, that is.

“Would be quite a feat I guess. I got on his bad side fairly quick, but then maybe I just had the wrong approach, and we were pretty much just insulting each other after one point.”

That guy is another mystery, all right...Somewhat scary at that, considering what happened...Not even sure how I would handle him without properly preparing for it.

“...The girl that half of us know and half of us don't... that's another mystery, too-!"
    “I’m...not too sure if there would be too much relevant information to be found in books...Or if the locals would leave any books like that out in the open, to be fair. The most optimal way would be to find the right people and ask the correct questions from them, but that comes with a good amount of risks.”

One would not exactly want to raise suspicion among the locals, or to follow false leads into danger, after all…

“Not sure what exactly you’re expecting to find about Elizaveta either...Not that the saw mill is a better place, but you are more likely to find something or someone up to no good in an abandoned, secluded place than in a library.”

The thrill of the hunt...It was so close. No way I can stay put now. I wanted to embrace that familiar feeling, to get my heart beating, on the verge of...

“Alternatively, we can just split up. I’m fine with going alone, kind of used to that. Not that I wouldn’t eventually want to do my research in the library and with the relevant people, but right now...I just don’t want to be trapped between four walls, surrounded by books, away from nature.”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

It was a strange feeling, Mercedes’ hand on her shoulder. Not bad, necessarily, but Lucille was surprised at how the other girl could be affectionate instead of belligerent for once. Then again… put anyone else here instead of herself, and Mercedes would no doubt be as rude as ever. All it took was one person for Mercedes to show a different side of her personality. Weird, but also, irrationally human.

Of course, Lucille couldn’t wax on the hidden good traits of Mercedes West, as unusual as they seemed. There was a more important matter at hand.

“We could possibly check out the hospital if the weather clears up sometimes soon,” Lucille said, trying to evaluate the suggestions presented. “Doing it in the pouring rain seems… rather rough.”

“As for the teachers… It’s possible they’re not above having their memories manipulated, right? If I and several others remember something different than the both of you… It’s also possible their interpretation of what this mystery pill does is entirely different from its actual effects. They could be acting in good faith but also being manipulated at the same time.” Whether her memory was right or wrong… It didn’t matter immensely to Lucille. What mattered was that if they could get to the truth. And if her memories were tampered with… it was feasible to say that it could happen to other people over a different issue, and yet…

Still, her words seemed rather… Lucille would be unsurprised if someone called her crazy right now, but she had the feeling she was in good company. The other two were willing to buy into her story, her memory that Elizaveta Vyraj existed.

It was then the knock on the door abruptly took her out of her thoughts.

The motion was a bit frantic, but Lucille hastily swept all of the medicine into her bag before zipping the thing shut. It probably made enough noise to be heard through the door, but out of sight, out of mind.

Adelaide poked her head out of the doorway, and Lucille put on her best Sunday smile.

“Hey, Adelaide,” she said, as if the previous conversation in the room never happened. “How’re things?”

Having been in the same exact position a few minutes prior, some of their conversation must have been overheard through the door. She wouldn’t mince words trying to figure how much Adelaide found out, unlike the other two. Her approach to life was rather unseemingly basic, after all.

“Hear anything interesting?”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday & Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "Hello?"
    The sudden appearance of Adelaide Cheshire, in her usual poofy dress that didn't really fit the environment of this supposedly modern high school, was met with various reactions. Sakura Tsukioka, for example, took one step backwards and her whole body prepared to do... something. It was like a spring that had been set up to bounce at a moment's notice. Her eyes were glued to the blonde girl with twintails, but for the moment, she was wearing a completely natural smile... that also seemed somewhat scary.

When it came to Lucille Faraday, the reaction was quick hiding of the medicine on the table, as well as a few choice words that sounded all too natural

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “Hey, Adelaide. How’re things? Hear anything interesting?”
    All these were well and good, and though there was definite tension in the kitchen right now, the situation didn't seem to be in danger of blowing up... all the way until the last of the three in the room reacted on her own. Sakura's eyes widened in surprise and she hastily tried to stop the actress known as Mercedes West when the latter suddenly started forward. But, it was all too late. There was no stopping it now.

"Too soft, Lucy," Mercedes muttered as she stomped over to Adelaide.

A quickl flash of hand, and suddenly Adelaide found her chin being gripped by the nimble and surprisingly strong fingers of the starlet, forcing her face upwards and squeezing at her cheeks uncomfortably. Adelaide had been caught in an unexpected vice-grip by the starlet, caught in the place by Mercedes' hand that was like a striking viper, refusing to let go. The taller girl stared down at Adelaide, quiet fury in her eyes and clearly not about to let go or believe that this had all been a mistake.

Mercedes West didn't, for a second, believe that their conversation had gone unheard.

It was proper, healthy paranoia fostered by years spent in an environment where there were no coincidences.

"Five seconds."

That was what Mercedes West said to Adelaide Cheshire in a tone cold as ice.

"You have, like, five seconds to explain, beg or whatevah," the actress announced. "What you're doing here, what you heard, and what you're gonna do about it. And don't even try, like, pulling my dick. You lie, I know. Simple as that."

It was easy enough to see that Mercedes West was seething at this interruption, and ready to do something that couldn't be taken back.

"Otherwise they're gonna find your social standing in a shallow grave come tomorrow."

Her eyes narrowed dangerously.

"And your ass will be out of this school, like, the day after."

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

Adelaide's hand twitched at her side when Mercedes grabbed her, but she let it fall back to her side. She'd had a decent idea that whoever was inside the kitchen wouldn't be happy when she came in, but...

When she'd heard what they were talking about, she thought it was time to tell someone.

Sure, it hadn't been her business, not at first - but something was starting to smell like rot, under the surface. Maybe Kean had been right when they talked yesterday. It was beginning to look like it.

"Five seconds."

Adelaide looked back into Mercedes's eyes, cold meeting cold. She was paler, and shorter, and not nearly as curvy or seemingly fit as Mercedes, but she held her own against that stare.

"You have, like, five seconds to explain, beg or whatevah. What you're doing here, what you heard, and what you're gonna do about it. And don't even try, like, pulling my dick. You lie, I know. Simple as that. Otherwise they're gonna find your social standing in a shallow grave come tomorrow. And your ass will be out of this school, like, the day after."

For a moment... nothing went across Adelaide's face. Nothing at all.

That, in itself, was strange.

She raised a blonde eyebrow at Mercedes, the other girl's fingers still cupping her chin.

"I came down here looking for Pyry, and I heard some voices in the kitchen. When I came over and it didn't seem like Pyry was here I was going to leave. Whatever you were talking about wasn't my business..."

She looked up into Mercedes's eyes, and now there was something in her face. A bit of anger, and... something else? Fear? Not at Mercedes, no - it must have been about what she was going to say.

"Only Hwan and I knew, and we were going to keep it to ourselves, but... when I heard what you guys were talking about, I couldn't walk away."

The shorter girl glanced at Lucille for a second.

"I remember Elizaveta too. She was on the bus and at the introduction and everything. I remember everybody's complete lack of concern when she disappeared and Xylia popped up out of nowhere. And... Hwan and I overheard an argument between Ramia and Mr. Lewis yesterday. Someone... someone was murdered, and their body was found on the beach the morning of the beach party. And I was thinking, well, Elizaveta went missing, and almost nobody seems to remember her, and, well..."

Adelaide looked at the ground.

"I don't know. I didn't think anyone would believe me," Her voice sounded small. "But when I overheard you, I thought you might. Mr. Lewis told Ramia that the school accounted for everything, even up to a student murdering someone. He said they'd 'handle it out of sight'."

She let out a breath.

"It... sounds dumb. I was trying not think about it. I didn't think the school would screw with us, but, um, hearing about the medicine and everything... I'd rather take the chance and tell someone then keep quiet, now."

For a second, at the end, Adelaide's voice had gone as hard as steel. There wasn't an ounce of deception in there - that was what she truly believed.

"So... yeah. I'm sorry."
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Too soft.

Was she? Lucille had her doubts. If she had bothered to come into the room, then Adelaide clearly didn’t have any malice. Someone who wanted to listen and overhear could just as easily have left once they heard enough. No need to barge in and stop the conversation.

That, or she could just be dumb, but nobody in this school was as they seemed. Dumb was… not a word she’d readily attribute to a person unless she was absolutely convinced. Besides, Adelaide’s behavior was almost… exceedingly calm. There was a distinct lack of carefree spirit that would make her pass it off as idiocy. That, and the information she had leaked—that the school would even cover up a murder—was immensely important if it were true.

“Are you certain?” There was a distinct lack of judgment in her voice, just a steeled sense of inquisitiveness. Like she had to know at any cost. “If so, then…”

What kind of school was willing to cover up a murder? And to this extent, assuming that the girl that was murdered was Elizaveta Vyraj? Something about all of this just made her sick to her gut.

“I can’t… I don’t want to be in a school where they think that kind of behavior is something to be swept under the rug.”

But what could she do? As it was… the most practical thing to do was to pretend everything was fine and slowly investigate the matter. If there was someone genuinely in danger or under duress because of the school and its faculty, she wouldn’t know until it was too late.

Lucille grit her teeth and sighed.

“Your verdict, Mercedes? If what Adelaide said is true…”

Getting her expelled would be a mercy, honestly.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Date: 08.09.1994 (FRI)

Parking Lot

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

Vivienne Bianchi had a reason to go both to the Library and the Mil, but as Prushka had mentioned, wandering about in the wet wouldn't be too healthy. As she pondered about the latter place, Vivienne most likely remembered the stories that Alex told her concerning the mysteries surrounding the owners of that place.

Perhaps that going to Owl's nest first would be better -- there was both information there that Vivienne was after, as well as the possibility of finding Alex there. But then there was that time during the beach party when Vivienne did suggest that she could go searching for mysteries with others; with Hisa.

Before she could ponder more on the choice before her however, Travis and a certain someone named Elise had cropped up as the main point of conversation for everyone in the car -- she gave a glance in the direction of the couple that they had passed, but the girl didn't seem to give much of a reaction to Pyry's rather hasty conclusion to the idea that the two were going out.

Well, she was mostly a reactive person after all.

The only thing Vivienne contributed to the topic was a small nod as to echo the suggestion of 'go ask them yourself'. That was the easiest way after all to find out, probably.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Inacio
    "Yes, erm, that'd help a bit indeed. As luscious as your hair is, it's a bit of a hindrance here. I'm willing to be that I could identify your brand of shampoo with just smell alone at this point."
    With that said, I started pulling my hair as forward as I could. I considered undoing my side ponytail but I think I’m more likely to elbow Inacio or Anna if I were to undo it. So the best I could do was just drape it over my left shoulder.

“If you’re so confident, then… What brand do you think I’m using? If you guess it right, I can give you some kind of reward~”

I gave Inacio a teasing smile before continuing on.

“But if you get it wrong, I get a reward~ So better make sure you’re right.”

While that was happening, I heard the exchange between going off between Aleen and Anna. It was bad considering that Aleen was being hostile to someone again… But this time, it was… normal? Or at least as normal as teenage drama with a bunch of social rejects and awkwards can.

This does open a different can of worms for me though. While I won’t give special assistance to Aleen for romance… Not like I’ve ever gone out with someone or wanted to… I did however, promise to Aleen to protect her. While I probably won’t eliminate anyone for turning down her confession, I would prefer that she doesn’t get hurt in the first place. I’ll think about it some more later...

Elise Pelltier

Elise and Travis had completed their journey into town, and had taken shelter from the rain under an awning which afforded them an excellent view of Road's Ends empty streets and the rain.

"A'ight, keep your eyes open, Chipmunk. You see that Moose, you let me know. Chances are, she's skulking from one alleyway to another, trying to stay out of sight. Or arguing with a local shopkeeper or something. Ugh, just look for anyone who's clearly not a local."
    Does he just use animal nicknames for everyone he meets?

Elise looked up and down the streets. The only notable movement being the falling rain.

So... Travis really has no clue where this "Moose" of his might be, or where she might go, does he? I'm sure there's a more efficient hunting strategy than just "stand at a random street corner and hope we're lucky". You know, I could even just go and scout out the store and we can rule out whether or not she's actually in the store. No, no. I'm only here to be eyes and ears, not provide him with sound strategic advice.

Honestly, is this woman even real, or just a figment of Travis' imagination?

She glanced towards the Road's End Post & Store. Her thoughts turning to her visit to the store the other day, and what other unpurchased books lay within it.

I suppose this isn't a terrible vantage point. Everyone in town needs to go here at some point. It is the only store in town...

She looked back to Travis, still puffing on his third cigarette for the evening.

Turning her attention away from her rude companion, she glanced down the alley, when something moving caughter her eye. She quickly turned her attention to it, hoping for something more interesting than an empty street on a rainy day. She sighed in disappointment when she realized that it was just an old flyer or poster someone had torn off a wall and stuffed into a trash bin in the alley that had been jostled by the wind. Her disappointment, however, quickly faded when she caught a glimpse of the title.

Ohoho! Does that say: "Say No To The Disguised Mental Asylum!"?! thought Elise excitedly as she examined the poster at a distance, Oh my! Conspiracy theories in a trashcan? Local controversy to Pinefall and the Oceandrop Program? I have got to take a look at that!

"I'll be right back!" said Elise as left the awning and darted down the alley to the nearby trash bin.

Travis is totally going to make fun of me for fishing something out of a garbage can, but this'll totally be worth it, and really, Travis would probably make fun of me for breathing anyway.

She pulled the poster free of the trash bin, and gave it a closer inspection.

Elaine Winters

"Prolly gonna do some crimes."

The blonde girl frowned out at the rain, squinting slightly as the day grew darker.

Guess that answered where one of the two was, maybe she could've hopped in on that?

Nah, best not to put off a contact by muscling in on personal business, not this one, at least. She supposed she'd have to save that front of investigation for a later day, maybe tomorrow, unless she could pick something up tonight.

After all, false identities isn't her top priority...

Her fingers tightened on the wheel, jaw working as she mulled over her thoughts.

Where are you?

She puffed out a small breath, cracking her neck and humming along to the music as it played.

Small towns like this one were familiar, full of secrets and lies, and while she could and would poke her head into any one of them that crossed her path, there was a solid chance there'd be a shortage of gratitude for it.

Dirty laundry just pisses everyone off in the end, causes a problem where everyone has to look at it, and people look at the whistle-blower.

Feh.

"Rain always makes me nostalgic," She said, apropos of nothing, "Not always in a good way, either."

She promptly undercut this melancholic statement with a quiet grin, "I do have some saucy stories of rain-swept rendezvous, though~"

Blog Entries
    John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Miss Iburi, if you will excuse me… I hope I’m not being rude, but…by any chance, do you not get many chances to do this where you come from?”
    "Ah...? O-oh!"

Slightly startled by the sudden voice from seemingly out of nowhere, Subaru Iburi's head swiveled around, trying to catch the speaker... until she finally settled her eyes on John in one of the windows. A slightly confused expression rose to the girl's face -most likely she was going over the question again in her head- until replaced by a complicated smile, one that told that while John had not exactly hit the mark, he wasn't that wrong either. Clearly moments like these were a rarity to the Japanese girl, and the reasons for that were... complex, to say the least.

"U-um... Mister Dove, right?" Subaru first confirmed the boy's identity. "Yes, well... I do admit that back home I am... rather busy almost every day. Thus my chances of simply taking some time off to play with Tonkori are very limited. One of the more welcome changes after coming here has been---Wah!"

Though the small girl was about to say more, at that point her furry friend had gotten a little bit too impatient with Subaru holding onto the frisbee. Showcasing surprising agility, the Akita Inu puppy performed a magnificent leap at the girl, toppling her small frame over easily and sending them both tumbling to the ground. The first one to emerge was the victorious-looking Tonkori, holding the frisbee proudly with his teeth. Not long after was Subaru herself, rising to a sitting position on the muddied, grassy ground.

Still... the girl wasn't fazed or angry about what had happened. Instead she broke into a refreshed giggle, even if her raincoat, hands and face were now partially dirtied with mud. Along with her slightly flushed cheeks and vapors of breath clear in the air, it was easy to see that she was enjoying every second being outside and just having fun - almost like someone to whom it was a rare treat.

Subaru had said she was busy in her life back home. Maybe that had something to do with it?

"Aww, come now, Tonkori! You should now that it is best to be patient!" Subaru giggled and rubbed the dog behind its ears. "Whatever am I going to do with you...?"

Looking at Subaru Iburi now, it was easy to see that despite her speech pattern being very formal, and despite her trying to appear polite and adult... she was also a girl her age - young. It just might be that John had managed to witness something a little special by being in the reference library at this time.

"Ah, is that the library?" Subaru suddenly asked with a smile, still sitting on the ground and petting her dog. "Are you, perchance, studying for our classes, Mister Dove? That is a very commendable attitude to have."

At her lap, the tiny dog barked at John, as if to say something.

... Wait, why did that bark sound like the dog was calling him an egghead? What smugness was this...?

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Smiling brightly, I stand up, moving easily as I look up at the person in front of me, my head having to tilt backwards to see his single visible eye.

"That meaningless distinction, to you, is something rather important to me though. While it may seem meaningless outwardly, in the end, the meaning that we derive from it is something of our own making. The difference between the 'mundane' and the 'supernatural' is, as such, something so naturally irrelevant that there's not much for either of us to say or do about it. The mundane is mundane while the supernatural is supernatural. This natural difference is what is the dividing line between someone like you and someone like me; both people with similar tastes and yet innately different because of the areas in which they were raised!"

Nodding slightly, I glance once more around this barren room. It's a lot similar to mine, really. It's not all that different from mine, really. In the end, Souma and I are rather similar when we should be entirely different, which is almost amusing, in a dark, twisted sort of way.

"I surely would not wish to view you as an enemy, much the same I believe you would prefer not to view me as one, no? We're entirely too similar and to be on the opposites sides of the same coin would put us both in a rather dire situation," I say with a smile heading towards his door as I open it. "Besides, I do quite agree with you. We should go on a walk."

I smile.

It's all teeth.

"After all, there's a perfectly good forest nearby filled to the brim with all the things you wouldn't expect."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall Main Building – Reference Library
    Evening Phase
    Rain

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru Iburi
    “U-um... Mister Dove, right? Yes, well... I do admit that back home I am...rather busy almost every day. Thus my chances of simply taking some time off to play with Tonkori are very limited. One of the more welcome changes after coming here has been---Wah!”
    While the puppy—Tonkori—demands attention like a puppy is wont to do, John Dove muses on the incomplete answer, for there is plenty there to muse about. First, her English: this elaborate, overly formal means of speech, is not merely a product of her instruction in the language. He would not be surprised to learn that she also speaks like that in her native Japanese. Subaru Iburi’s speech is deliberate and well-practiced, even more so than his own.

It is humbling, to say the least. A part of him—perhaps the same part that was bothered by the badminton match on the first evening—is a bit jealous, but most of him wonders just what kind of family raises such a girl. He knows very little about Japanese culture, though, so he cannot tell whether this is normal—rather, his knowledge of Japanese matters is heavily skewed to a specific direction.

As for the other things in his mind…well, he will have to inquire more.

“Ah, is that the library? Are you, perchance, studying for our classes, Mister Dove? That is a very commendable attitude to have.”
    John is about to shake his head and dispel her most inaccurate opinion, but—

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkori
    *Smug bark*
    …huh?

Was that…condescension?

Why—why is his mind providing articulate meaning to that sound? What is with this eloquent puppy? No, why is his mind assigning the attribute of “eloquence” to the puppy’s bark?

Why does John Dove look at this dog and feels like it is looking down on him? The deprecating meaning aside, isn’t that kind of amazing?

Well, the truth is that Tonkori’s impressive feat of expressiveness has made yet another of John’s worries resurface.

Animals are fundamentally true. Many of them are capable of deception, but their general behavior answers to simple imperatives and it is therefore devoid of falsity at its roots. Animals do not wear masks, they do not lie nor pretend; they are always authentic.

However, Tonkori, just like every other animal John has seen, remains devoid of color.

Is that it? Does the colorless world mean nothing in reality? Is it really just a psychosomatic response triggered by that event?

No, that cannot be. That hypothesis does not explain that person.

John mentally kicks himself for thinking too much about the dog. He was asked a question, for Pete’s sake.

“No, there is nothing commendable about this. It is merely common sense,” he finally responds. “I would rather not fail, so I have to do at least this much today if I want to enjoy the rest of the weekend.”

Looking at the obvious affection between girl and dog, John choose to cause the conversation in that direction. Talking about himself is not interesting, anyway.

“You are very close, Miss Iburi and…Tonkori, is it? I believe it is called an Akita, right?”

He shows a slightly self-deprecating smile.

“I apologize; I haven’t had much interaction with dogs myself, and I do not know much about them.”

It is not a lie: none of the households he has been part of had pets of any kind. Thinking back on it, could it be that the greater “Dove clan” is just bad with animals? He does not even know what to say about the puppy.

“Umm, it certainly looks…um, like it would be pleasant to the touch?”

Well, now that was lame.

In any case, while the bond between Subaru Iburi and her dog is worthy of note, it is not what John wishes to inquire about. It may not be prudent as they are almost complete strangers, but the girl was the one who mentioned it in the first place; if she is uncomfortable with the topic, he will immediately relent.

However, this is no excuse not to be careful. Her enjoyment of the simple activity of playing with her dog under the rain speaks plenty of the weight of the burdens that prevent her from such ordinary leisure on a regular basis. Bringing up the issue could easily touch a sensitive string.

“Miss Iburi, do excuse my curiosity, but I am intrigued by the foreign members of our class. If I may ask, how did Mister Oceandrop find you? It cannot have been straightforward, to leave behind your busy schedule and come all the way across the Pacific.”

Blog Entries
    John Dove

“You are very close, Miss Iburi and…Tonkori, is it? I believe it is called an Akita, right? I apologize; I haven’t had much interaction with dogs myself, and I do not know much about them. Umm, it certainly looks… um, like it would be pleasant to the touch?”
    Subaru giggled as she rose from the ground, cradling the dog in her arms so that it's legs and oversized paws (as puppies often had) dangled in the air like four windchimes swaying to and fro. Both Tonkori and his owner were smudged with mud from the ground, but that didn't seem to bother them - if anything, it gave them a kind of refreshing, earthy aura around them. Like the two of them had grown up in a similar rural setting as Road's End and were feeling rather at home right now.

"Ah, yes! Tonkori here is an Akita. They come from my homeland of Hokkaido, or well, most of them come from Honshu to be precise... but we breed our own hunting dogs! Tonkori is the youngest of the latest litter," Subaru explained proudly. "A-and yes! Young or old, Akitas are very proficient in cuddling... erm, almost as much as hunting, that is."

Blushing a little, Subaru chuckled again, slightly embarrassed at her sudden talkativeness. It seemed that shifting the topic to dogs had been the right choice, as that clearly got the small girl excited. And if her family really bred Akitas, it was easy to see why. She had been around these animals all her life.

... Which might also explain why she had smuggled one of them with her to Road's End.

“Miss Iburi, do excuse my curiosity, but I am intrigued by the foreign members of our class. If I may ask, how did Mister Oceandrop find you? It cannot have been straightforward, to leave behind your busy schedule and come all the way across the Pacific.”
    Subaru blinked in momentary surprise, before a troubled and complicated smile spread across her face once more. She made her way to the window where John was to make conversation easier, and while it did not seem like she was averse to talking about what John had inquired about, it apparently wasn't going to be a simple answer.

"Well... It is true that I am currently supposed to be training to become the next head priestess of my family's shrine in the mountains. It involves many complicated traditions and ceremonies and I need to be well-versed in them by the time I become of age and be married to whoever my husband-to-be shall be... which is, perhaps, why my mother and my father gave in to the pressure from nearby communities," Subaru explained. "I understand the worry that the nearby town had of my mental well-being and of my growth, and why they informed of me to Mister Oceandrop... but in truth, it was needless worry. It might appear a harsh, spartan life to outsiders, but it was no trouble for me at all!"

There was something odd in Subaru's eyes. Something glassy, almost like they were glazed over.

"... I am the Child of Gods, after all."

Then, just as fast, it was gone. Like the raindroplets around them, the tiny girl's face was normal and out of nowhere, she suddenly lifted up the bundle of wet fur in her arms. In John's face was thrust Tonkori, truly a soaked dog, who took this chance and asserted it's dominance (?) and surprise attack (?) by licking him on the tip of the nose.

Behind the sudden animal assault, Subaru tilted her head and beamed a slightly mischievous smile at John, almost like she was waiting for him to take the animal.

"But more importantly than that, here!" Subaru giggled. "See for yourself just how pleasant our Akitas are to touch!"

This was accompanied by another bark.

This one sounding almost like the smug animal was saying: "You can't resist this fluffness."

... What even was this animal...?

Elise Pelltier

While going through old trashbin might have been an odd thing to do (as Travis commended with a snider jeer from the sidelines) the paper that Elise found from there was, at least in some ways, worth it. Judging from how it had been crumpled up, whoever had stuffed it into the trash had been in a hurry, and underneath the first flier a collection of other, identical fliers was revealed. All of them appeared like they had been ripped from the walls, perhaps in haste so that certain groups of people didn't see them when they finally arrived.

And judging from the contents of the flier, that deductions appeared more and more likely.

Old Flier
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Flier
    Say No To The Disguised Mental Asylum!

People of Road's End, wake up!

Are we really going to allow an unknown billionaire who nobody has even heard of to set up his experimental mental asylum to our lovely town that has already been plagued with problems of it's own?

Are we really going to allow in our town such lunatics, hallucinating madmen and women that are capable of committing atrocious crimes in the name of their madness and sickness without nary a thought?

Are we really going to allow using our town with rich history to be used as an extension of a mental asylum, a natural prison for teenagers that are, for all intents and purposes, so dangerous and unstable that no other place will take them?

We say no!

As long as this Oceandrop Program keeps its secrecy, as long as they refuse to explain what experiments they truly are attempting, as long as they masquerade as a school to reform troubled youth, we say we should keep out this Mister Oceandrop and his Program for Psychopaths! It is clear this is no real school, but just a disguised mental asylum meant for dangerous people - a prison that our town is supposed to be part of!

And that, along with all this secrecy, is not what we want!

Join us, people of Road's End, to drive out Mister Oceandrop and his lunatics!

... For some reason, the rain and the sounds of the town were very quiet once Elise stopped reading the flier.

"... Huh. Looks like some people really hated our guts," Travis suddenly commented, just behind Elise. "Can't blame them. We are a rag-tag bunch of loonies, after all."

At some point the boy had walked behind the brunette girl and had started reading over her shoulder. He was no longer wearing his usual sneer... though the rude grin still remained. However, now it was more... jaded and bitter. Like Travis wasn't surprised at all that something like these had been spread around the town not too long ago.

"Sounds like some people 'round here got the right idea," Travis cackled without a hint of humor in his voice.

In fact, the boy looked almost vindicated by the discovery of this flier.

Lucille Faraday & Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “Your verdict, Mercedes? If what Adelaide said is true…”
    Mercedes West stayed quiet for a good twenty seconds, staring right into Adelaide's eyes. She was unflinching, apparently not bothered by the complete emotionless stare of the blonde girl. Perhaps Mercedes had ran into strangeness such as this in her past work - Hollywood was a dangerous place after all. Or perhaps the actress was just great at not showing any emotions on her own face as well. Whatever the case, after weighing the situation for a moment, Mercedes sighed in an annoyed way... and let go of Adelaide's face.

Then she walked over to the kitchen counter and leaned against it, folding her arms across her chest and shooting a questioning glare towards the twin-tailed girl.

"I wanna hear, like, the exact words," the starlet announced, keeping a keen eye on Adelaide. "Whole conversation and what was said. I mean, if things are absolute worst, I wouldn't put it past the school to cover up murders or whatevah... but I have my doubts that that's the actual, complete truth either. So, spit it out, Frills. Every line, the best you can manage. Like to a fucking T. Then will I make my verdict."

The demand was clear. Mercedes wasn't denying Adelaide's words... but she didn't believe them to be the whole truth either. Almost like she was expecting the girl to have made wrong deductions from what she had heard.

Sakura, on the other hand, switched her stare from Adelaide to Mercedes to Adelaide once more... and flashed a comforting smile towards the girl in the frilly dress.

"Just take it easy and recount the best you can, alright? I'm sure we can piece together the truth from there," Sakura encouraged Adelaide. "No stress. If the worst happens, I swear I'll hold Mercedes here back before she can bite your face off."

The starlet rolled her eyes, which only made Sakura giggle. However, afterwards all of this, she looked over at Lucille and sort of raised her eyebrow. There was some sort of unspoken question there, something the brunette tried to ask without actually voicing it out loud.

What Sakura did instead say was...

"I'm sure Lucille here agress that we should get all the fact before we start pointing fingers, right?"

Prushka & Hisa Momoi & Vivienne Bianchi

"Oho~?"

As Prushka slumped against Ubon's meager bosom, the cyanhead looked, for a moment, surprised by this closeness... before grinning mischievously and starting to fiddle with the smaller girl's hair once more. For some reason she was no longer trying to fit it into pigtails, instead kneading it ever upwards into some sort of crest of a rooster while her grin grew wider and wider.

There was also the worrisome, excited whisper that Ubon let out, like she was barely able to contain herself.

"We're gonna make this into a mohawk yet~" Ubon giggled, causing Pyry to shoot a worried glance at Prushka.

However, as Hisa started talking (and as Vivienne offered a non-commited nod that didn't seem to sway the conversation one way or another), Pyry got another thing to concentrate on once more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Alternatively, we can just split up. I’m fine with going alone, kind of used to that. Not that I wouldn’t eventually want to do my research in the library and with the relevant people, but right now...I just don’t want to be trapped between four walls, surrounded by books, away from nature.”
    The lanky athlete shook his head, surprisingly strongly.

"Nah. I promised I'd look after you guys, didn't I?" He said with a little smirk. "Splitting up would make that really hard. Plus, I did also promise to hang out with both of you, so... uh... well, erm, let's see..."

The boy pondered for a moment, only to be cut-off by sudden exclamation from Ubon (accompanied by her finally morphing Prushka's hair into momentary pyramid that towered above the small girl's head like a ridiculous spike with which to headbutt her enemies with).

"I'm fine with a little rain, for realsies!" the cyanhead announced. "Plus I brought my umbrella, so Prushie here can totes fit under it. I say we go spelunking in that old saw mill and see if there's anything cool out there, yeah?"

For a moment, Pyry looked somewhat troubled... only to eventually resign into a troubled smile. The boy shrugged his shoulder, finally caving in as the majority had had their voting victory. Two-to-One, with Vivienne apparently abstaining from this round of voting.

"Well... alright. Old saw mill it is," Pyry said. "Shouldn't take us too long now."

And with that, the old muscle car roared down the unkempt blacktop.

--- 30 Minutes Later ---

No longer was the V8's rumbling and odd, foreign rock music filling the ears of the group. Indeed, Pyry had parked his car to the side of the road, apparently pretty sure that from here it was pretty straightforward walk through the forest to reach the lakes and the sawmill that lied next to them. The mountain range that dominated the scenery of Road's End could be seen to the right, jutting out of the forest in a line of snow-topped peaks that were pleasant to eyes, even in the midst of all this rain. On the hand, the immediate scenery around the group was much more drab. An old asphalt road that had seen much better days, forest everywhere around them, muddy downhill slope that connected the road to that forest... and somewhere out there, the outer reaches of interstate that started somewhere beyond the gas station.

Of course, there was also Road's End that they had pretty much left behind ten minutes ago. But the town had looked almost dead in this heavy rain.

"Well... we're walking the rest of the way," Pyry said, nodding towards the forest. "Prepare to get your boots wet, folks."

The boy was holding up a large, black umbrella to shield himself form the rain. The only other one so far who had put up their umbrellas was Ubon who, just like she had said. Of course the cyanhead's umbrella was much more colorful, like a kaleidoscope made of water-resistant fabric. It also had some sort of 80's inspired, cute fantasy-creature infested pattern across it. It was... both garish and somewhat daring, all things considered.

"Err... How long aways is it, Pyrie?" Ubon asked, smiling little nervously.

The boy only sighed and shrugged.

"If I had to guess?" He answered. "Enough to get us all soaked, I bet."

A somewhat dreary start to this adventure.

Vier Wolff & Elaine Winters & Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “But really, Highlander… You are exceptionally bad at taking advice, aren’t you? Or is it just mine that you are choosing to ignore? Though I suppose this is less about misplaced words and more about being generally oblivious."
    Caleb tilted his head and blinked his eyes at Anna, said eyes wide as plates, looking for a moment like a very confused owl. Despite this clear accusation it looked like the boy was dense enough to not understand at all what the raven-haired girl was implying... despite the two of them having a talk about this exact denseness not so long ago.

"... I do not know you well enough. Thus I wouldn't be ignoring your advice. I don't know if it's bad or good yet," Caleb answered, sternly. "Still, I take offense at that 'oblivious' comment. Despite everything, I have a very keen eye."

Even Aleen, who had been practically preening at her supposed victory over Anna just moments before, shot a look of: "Wait, are you being serious?" at the boy... before switching her eyes towards Anna. For a moment, the blue-haired girl kept a straight face... before she snorted in lame amusement, shaking her head and rolling her eyes. Though Aleen had been confrontational but a moment ago, this magnitude of dense that the painter was showcasing right now was enough for her to bury the hatchet. At least long enough to wordlessly communicate to Anna the idea of: "This guy is something else, huh?"

"Nah, I'm siding with her on this one," Aleen said with a slight smug grin. "'Generally oblivious' is totes accurate here. Right?"

Aleen cocked an eyebrow at Anna.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “If you’re so confident, then… What brand do you think I’m using? If you guess it right, I can give you some kind of reward~. But if you get it wrong, I get a reward~ So better make sure you’re right.”
    Inacio laughed... but it sounded rather awkward, like he had not expected the girl to actually jump at this joke he had made. Now that the musician was put on the spot, he looked much more uncomfortable to speak about shampoo brands, especially when associated with the hair of the girl who was sitting on his lap. Indeed, the green-haired boy shifted somewhat under Vier, trying to get the girl further on the edge of his legs, as if trying to keep her from his lap proper.

"Well, uh, let me get back to you on that," Inacio answered and faked another laugh. "That sounds like a hefty risk versus reward, so I need to be absolutely sure..."

It looked like Vier had managed to make the boy question his choice of car, somewhat.

"Though if I had to guess... Pert Plus, maybe? Maybe?" Inacio finally added, shrugging the best he could in the tight space.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Rain always makes me nostalgic. Not always in a good way, either. I do have some saucy stories of rain-swept rendezvous, though~"
    Ramia cackled, raising a eyebrow at the girl. Clearly Elaine had piqued the dusky-skinned girl's interest.

"Really? That sounds pretty sweet," Ramia said with a grin. "Much better than the memories I have of rain, at least. I mean, all I remember is hiding in undergrowth and mud, clutching a jury-rigged sniper rifle, waiting for this-or-that petty warlord to show up with his men so I could... eh, never mind."

Ramia scrunched up her nose, clearly thinking back to unpleasant times.

"That or staying in the camp, listening to that same cassette over and over again. I swear, if I have to hear about blessing the rains down in Africa one more time..."

These seemed like some deep-seated traumas, indeed...

--- 25 Minutes Later ---

Eventually, even this group had made their way to their destination.

--- In other words: Big Boy's Gas Station.

Rain had swept across the empty parking lot, painting it with water and various shades of grey. Judging from how the actual gas station's entrance had a sign put up that said: "Entrance from the Bar's side", not to mention how there weren't any lights on inside the gas station proper, there was only one way to proceed. After Elaine had gotten her car parked up (not that there was any problem with space), the group hurried through the rain to the door that led inside the bar - where warm lights and sounds of distant music could be heard coming from.

And as the door opened, the promises turned out to be true. It was like a wave of heat and dryness that swept through them, along with tunes one could hear from pretty much any roadside dive-bar.

The interior of the establishment was what you could expect. Lots of wood used on the floor, walls and ceiling. A sturdy counter flanked by stools, with various wooden tables set up here and there. A pool table waiting for players. A jukebox that was currently producing the aforementioned sounds. Low hanging lights, lots of posters for sports teams and rock bands, a stuffed moose-head behind the counter next to the bottles of booze... this truly was the type of bar one could only find in the rural areas of United States of America.

"Ah, evenin', evenin'! What'cha all havin'?" A booming voice echoed from behind the counter. "We still have... Oh? Well, lookit here, new faces! Aren't you guys a bit too young to hang out at my place?"

The owner of this voice, the towering shape standing behind the counter and leaning on it with those big hands that could probably crush ancient oaks... this had to be the owner of Big Boy's.

"Aah, I'm just kiddin'! Come on in! Y'all gonna get soaked to the bone if you stay out there, gahaha~! Can't have them say Ol' Billie let bunch of our newest residents catch cold on their first week!"

Yes.

The owner of Big Boy's Gas Station & Bar.

The rumoured 'Big Boy' in flesh

... Still.

Wasn't this woman, tall enough to compete with Pyry Leijonamieli and with muscles to make said boy pale in shame, just a little bit too much!? Wasn't she just a little too 'Big', in all senses of the word!?

New Person Met!

Alexstrasza Lockhart

Honestly, walking through the small, winding forest paths with Souma was... like walking alone.

Not in the sense that the boy didn't give any attention to Alexstrasza, far from it. Indeed, he politely answered any questions that the girl had and conversed with her very naturally... but as for his presence, it might have been non-existent. Whether path, undergrowth or bushes, the boy made no sound whatsoever as he moved, even if he was just walking naturally. He practically glided across the forest floor, graceful like a breath of air that hid completely within the rain and disappeared into the wilderness whenever one took eyes off of him. More than once Alexstrasza had to focus and pin-point Souma's location again as she had let her attention to wander...

... Really. If she had focuse on something else but him for whole 5 minutes, she might have just lost his location whatsoever.

Another strange thing was that the boy, during their walk to the forest edge and then beyond it, had never initiated conversation himself. Sure enough, he answered, but he had no further questions to Alexstrasza or wanted to talk with her about anything of his own volition. That just added to the idea that the boy was as much as a ghost as the real thing, barely existing yet always walking alongside the blonde girl, never straying too far. Even his eye, that single, golden eye that almost glowed, stared only straight ahead, to some unknown location that he was heading.

Well, that seemed to be the case. But after they had walked for over 30 minutes, following paths to somewhere or nowhere in particular...

"... So?"

Souma's silk-like voice cut the rainy air.

"Is there any specific place you want to walk to?"

The ball was in Alexstrasza's court for once.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; April 26th, 2019 at 03:47 PM.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

It's... really raining.

That's a dumb thought to have, but it's true. There's a world of difference between seeing rain splatter against glass barriers and actually being in it, feeling the pitter-patter thudding along your clothes almost as much as you hear it. The umbrella that Ubon holds over my head feels nothing like the windows and roof of Pyry's car. How long will that thin layer of cloth hold? It feels like it might collapse any second. Certainly, it doesn't invoke any sense of security.

Well, there's nothing to it!

"Okay!"

Having recovered from that bout of dizziness, which I will blame on Ubon, my strength is restored. Even this dreary weather is more of a challenge than a downer.

"So. Five high schoolers that barely know each other, wandering away from town where nobody can find them, on a dark, cold evening. Rain to erase our tracks and muffle the screams, a spooky forest full of nasty creatures to separate us, and plenty of urban legends to run into."

It's so eerie I can't help but grin. So this is what it feels like, huh? Yet another for the collection.

Bouncing on my feet, lacing up my boots, tightening my helmet, and staying as close to Ubon as possible, I'm ready for anything!

"I'm ready! Now why are we here again? In the first place, what's the deal with this saw mill that we're trying to find it?"

Elaine Winters

Elaine kept her eyes on the road, listening to Ramia's detailing of her own rain-swept past, muddy battlefields and crawling through the muck.

Plus an excessive amount of Toto.

From deep down inside, the blonde girl felt a deep abiding sense of empathy.

"Never quite tangled with any warlords, but I've got a pretty solid idea of what that's like," She said, eyes sweeping the road.

"I'm more of an iron-sights kinda gal, though, suppose that makes me a bit old-fashioned, but never had the chance for maintenance, scopes break too often for me, maybe I'm just a bit rough, though."

She laughed a bit, a curious note in it, eyes still looking out into the rain.

"Can definitely get with the feeling of listening to the same song on repeat, over and over, Pop had maybe three cassettes, and driver rules the radio, and when you're constantly in the van, from place to place, it, ah, grates."

Her tone had a fondness to it, tinged with exasperation.

"Then my brothers got old enough to start driving and we started getting some damned variety, but we're all incurably afflicted, Dad Rock will be with us for the rest of our days."

As if to punctuate her diatribe, the sound of a deeper thunderstorm crawled out from her speakers.

She shook her head as the bass rolled in.

"Fuckin' geezer."

She smiled, though.

Posters, wood walls and floors, game on the wall...

Elaine took a deep breath through her nose, catching all the scents that she knew would be there, along with an undercurrent of pine.

Yep.

This was about what she expected.

She stretched her arms out, posture twitching in an aborted motion, then slowly, almost awkwardly, dropping them to her sides.

The blonde girl abruptly turned her attention to the great, looming presence behind the bar. The aforementioned 'Big Boy', it would seem.

Well.

She certainly was big.

Big arms, big hair, just generally big. Lived up to the name pretty well, Elaine surmised.

She shifted out of the doorway, making way for her large amount of passengers, touching a few fingers to the brim of her cap as she did so.

"Much obliged, Ma'am, we're packed up like a can of sardines. I'd stopped by here with the old beast a while back, but didn't have the time to make a proper introduction of myself.

She lifted her head up, green eyes agleam, a small grin on her face.

"Elaine Winters, an' I'll have you know I'm old enough, least in the ways that count."

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall Main Building – Reference Library
    Evening Phase
    Rain

John Dove lets a small smile seep into his face as Miss Subaru Iburi gushes about her dog, or rather about her family’s Akitas. It fills the boy with a mental image of a remote, rural background, and strong family values. Even more reason to suspect this entire set of circumstances: Subaru Iburi might as well have traveled to a whole new world; such is the degree of separation between Pinefall High and whatever life she had before…or so he suspects.

He puts no sliver of a thought on the likelihood of the girl having brought that puppy to the US by not-entirely-lawful means. John Dove does not judge—he never judges—and in the grand scheme of things, it is thoroughly irrelevant.

“Hunting dogs…then, is Miss Iburi a practiced huntress as well?”

As one wholly urban-born and urban-raised, it is perhaps a little hard to imagine for him. The girl certainly does not project the image of a seasoned outdoors survivor.

Regardless, it is perhaps good fortune that Miss Iburi is seemingly unbothered by his questioning, the limited usefulness of her explanation notwithstanding…

"...I am the Child of Gods, after all."
    It does not elude him.

There is meaning, power, significance to those words. These words are important to Subaru Iburi, in some manner their semantic definition does not provide. Alas, John Dove is no psychiatrist, nor in any way knowledgeable of the minutiae of the religions of Japan. It is strange that, while he could talk at length about the Kurozumi sect and its mysticism centered on divine communion, he cannot even explain the difference between a yorishiro and a shintai. Such is the absurdly specific, and in many ways haphazard nature of the lore he has gathered throughout the years.

Regardless, any and all attempts at prodding further on the matter are abruptly stopped to halt by the scent of mud and wet dog, right there. Right on his face.

"But more importantly than that, here! See for yourself just how pleasant our Akitas are to touch!"
    And the smug (!?) animal barks as if on cue. Never has John Dove felt more bothered by his inability to understand animals. In any case, the offer has been made, it would be rude to decline, and he has no reason to do so.

“If you will excuse me, then,” says John as he slides his hands over Subaru’s to mirror her hold on the canine, then pulling it towards his torso so he can comfortably hold it with a single hand, the other delicately sliding along the dog’s back. It is soft, as expected. Also as expected, it is wet and muddy, and now his clothes are wet and muddy as well.

Really, expecting John Dove to have any sort of appreciation for a puppy’s fluffiness was a mistake in the first place. That does not mean the hand stops stroking Tonkori’s back at any point, though.

“You are most right, Miss Iburi: your Tonkori is gifted with very pleasant fur,” he says matter-of-factly. It is not a lie; it is merely irrelevant in his mind.

“I bet you are quite popular with most of my classmates, are you not?”

What the young man does care about are its eyes, which he looks at with deep intent, as if he could look through them and see the thoughts lurking within. He appreciates Tonkori’s vivid, youthful and intelligent eyes at length, even if, naturally, he finds nothing in their depths. Yet, to the girl looking up at him, John Dove cannot look anything but positively pleased.

“…Tonkori, is it?” He smiles as he speaks to the puppy. “You see this world with clearer eyes than me, don’t you?”

The hand reaches up for the crown of its head, but it stops short of petting it. Almost as if respectful to the animal, John pulls the hand away. The smile remains there, but it now bears something more, something that is not part of John Dove’s carefully arranged body language.

Honestly, he just looks a little dejected.

“I might envy you, just a little bit.”

Apparently satisfied with that, he presents the dog back to its owner.

“Thank you, Miss Iburi. That was…” Again, he is not sure of the right words to use when it comes to this creature. “…a nice and welcome change of pace. You are raising a fine animal and I…would not be opposed to partaking of it again.”

The possibility that Subaru Iburi might be influencing his own speech to become even more formal and stiff never crosses his mind. He is likely more interested in the roughly Akita-shaped mud stains on his school attire.

“…preferably when there is less mud involved,” he finishes, hoping his smile correctly tells her she must not believe him upset about the dirtied clothes.

Then, he feels the necessity to give an opinion nobody asked for, or perhaps this is just John Dove’s idea of being a Good Samaritan. Or maybe there was more to yesterday morning’s discussion with Sakura and Elise Marie than even John himself thought. By the way, have Miss Iburi and Sakura had a chance to become acquainted with each other? Maybe something worth asking later.

“On that note, please do be careful when you make your way back into the dormitory. It would perhaps be remiss to make a mess indoors.”

His eyes roam over the splotches of mud on the girl's (yellow?) rain cloak with a discerning, perhaps even worried expression.

“Also…well, you likely do not need my advice on how to bear with the rain and the cold, but nevertheless…” He shrugs. “I just think it would be a shame if you caught a cold on your first weekend here, Miss Iburi.”

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

I was surprised that they ended up coming along; I was sure that they would rather choose the library over a walk in the rain, and still...We are here, even though they don’t seem to be too enthusiastic.

Now out of the car, I embrace the rain for a moment --- the chill, wet sensation as the raindrops fall on my face feel refreshing and familiar. Yet, it would probably be unwise to take the whole trip without any kind of protection.

Looking at the others, it appears that they have the same mindset, opening their umbrellas - something that I would not consider using here. The big, fragile piece of cloth just gets in the way and occupies a hand.

I pull up the hood of my jacket that I put on earlier just enough so that it covers most of my head without blocking my vision, and take a few steps while observing my surroundings.

Into the forest again, huh?

"I'm ready! Now why are we here again? In the first place, what's the deal with this saw mill that we're trying to find it?"
    “You just answered your question. We are here for the urban legends, the creatures, the people who are up to no good. Well, me, at least.”

I guess the others are here because I was insisting on coming...I just hope that I’m not dragging them into something dangerous.

“...The rest of you came because I was so stubborn about it I would assume, which...I am sorry for. Still, there is no reason to worry, clothes can be dried, we can warm ourselves up, nothing can scare us and we are perfectly capable of protecting ourselves.”

I adjusted my trusty backpack into a more comfortable position, and set out towards our destination with nimble steps, as an indication that we should not waste more time chatting around in the rain.

It was a familiar feeling.

Yet, it was also new, having all these people around...

“I wouldn’t let anything happen to either of you anyways,” I mumbled to myself, “No way I would let another person go from my side.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“City slicker?” Colt scoffed. “Did I hear that right? Hey, Tommy, is she hard of hearing or something? I think she just called me a city slicker.”

There was a glint in the boy’s eyes between finding the accusation comical and dreadful.

Colt gestured at his ears, then at the girl’s, then back to his own.

“Clean the wax outta those and listen good, Tennessee. Ten-uh-see. Dixie. Good ol’ boys. Rednecks. Hillbillies. Not. A. Slicker.”

The words came intentionally, scoldingly slow. Like an adult trying very hard to explain something to a child that only knew how to ask “but, why” to every answer. He knew full and well that this was more than an exercise in futility. She had sunk her teeth into the ribeye that was his identity, and he was about to start slicing it against the grain for her benefit. Chopping himself into perfect, bite-size chunks.

“Yeesh, I get this place is the sticks. I really do, and I mean no offense when I call it that, because it’s just the way I like it, but come on.”

Colt looked at her for a few seconds, then rolled his eyes.

“Come oooon.”

At some point the look in the boy’s eyes was consumed by the dread.

Did she really call him that?