Page 67 of 244 FirstFirst ... 17576265666768697277117167 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

“Showing you around… yeah, yeah, sure. I’m not a local, but today I’m your local. Heh.” The nervous, awkward smile began to twist into a ‘did I just say that’ smile. “Not like, YOURs. In that way. Y’know.”

Suddenly Colt began scratching the back of his head, trying to stir up the memory of how to talk to girls.

“L… Library, at the hotel! Yeah, I know where that is. Probably. I memorized the map and stuff.” Half bragging, half forcing the first thought in his brain out of his mouth. “I uh, think it’s gonna rain and stuff today. Beach is probably a bad idea. It’s dangerous, going swimming during a lightning storm. I read that. I read.”

Sweat was not building up on his brow, but it was building up in the boy’s heart.

“I was thinking of going to a record store, if you wanna tag along. Apparently it’s not really open for business yet, but I’m gonna try my hand at weaseling in anyway.”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Well, you have to break the silence eventually.

"Alright, so. Business."

I return from the washroom refreshed, free of crumbs, and ready to go.

"Xylia, I wanna confirm something first. Otherwise this is just an assumption."

Right. Start from the top.

"When you opened the door this morning, you said something about having already told me to f-frick off before. But I don't remember ever talking to you before today. The closest we were before was that morning you and Colt got into a food fight."

In hindsight, that might've been a clue. An idea is already forming, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

"And before you say I'm messed up in the head, that's not it. Boring people are easy to forget, but you're the opposite of boring, for better or worse. So to start, could you tell me about that meeting I don't remember? Just the gist of it."

I fold my arms and sip on the cola. It's still cool thanks to the ice swirling around the glass.

"And after that, if it happened when I think it did, I'll tell you about what I do remember."

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hisa Momoi
    [BGM]

There was an old song playing from the jukebox, quiet and distant, as Hisa Momoi entered the bar that had been built into the Big Boy's Gas Station - probably the most separated building of all of Road's End.

Inside the lights were low and there was a distinct sense of emptiness. After all, it was barely noon at the moment so most of the townsfolk would have been just about anywhere else than at a bar. Still, as Hisa let her eyes scan the place, it turned out that it wasn't completely empty. There, at the corner of the bar counter, sat an older woman on one of the bar stools. Her eyes were close and she was slowly swaying her head to the music, nursing a glass of ice cubes and black liquid in her hand, with a cigarette on the other. And while the owner of the bar was nowhere to be seen, at least one could hear a boisterous laughter echoing from the side of the actual gas station - meaning that was most likely where she was.

"... Ah. Well now. Aren't you a bit too young to be here?"

Suddenly, a voice called out to Hisa. The older woman, a rather long-time drunkard from the looks of it, had spoken. She had stopped her lonely enjoyment of the music and was now staring at the scarred girl with eyes that, while tired and clearly those of a person who didn't sleep that much, were as sharp as knives. It was a combination that made the woman look more like someone who simply behaved like a bar floozy instead of being a one.

And now her intense attention was slowly focused on Hisa.

"Or, are you perhaps friends of the youngsters from last night?" the woman continued, a dry smirk playing on her face. "Well not that it matters. I suppose it falls to me to welcome you, since Billie is out in the back."

She was clearly studying Hisa rather carefully.

"Something I can get you?"

Vivienne Bianchi
    [BGM]

"Hey. You a student here? Is this red jacket wearing gir--- Whoa."

While Vivienne Bianchi had been going over the sports field again, this time with a far different approach to the strange marks that littered one part of it, she had been so focused that the approaching footsteps of a person had gone completely unheard. Instead what shook her out of her concentration was a voice calling out towards her... and a subsequent sound of surprise when she lifted her head a little, revealing the mask that was covering her face.

There, not far from her, standing at the edge of the road that passed by the sports field and headed up to the dormitories, was a young man, probably a year or two older that Vivienne. He was wearing a red hoodie and his long hair was the color of blazing flames. Despite his default expression seeming to be somewhere close to angry or grumpy, for now he looked nothing if not surprised. After all, it was not often you saw someone wearing a bison's skull mask like Vivienne was doing at the moment. So, in that sense, the boy's shock was quite understandable.

What, perhaps, came as a bit more of a surprise was that he recovered rather quickly, and took a few steps closer while still raising his hand in a sort of lazy greeting.

"Sorry. Surprised me a little. That's one wicked mask you got there," the boy said. "Anyways, have you seen this girl wearing a red jacket around here? Black hair? Goes by Anna Vandemeel? She was supposed to come over for a dinner but since we never agreed on time, I figured I'd swing by and ask her. I'd hate to be too late or too early with the cooking."

This boy... hadn't he been sighted here at Pinefall a few days ago? One of the local townsfolk, perhaps? Well, whatever the case, now that his initial shock had passed he seemed rather unperturbed by the macabre mask, talking to Vivienne like a regular person on the street.

John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “I…might be touching a sensitive issue, but…um, you seem to have a good relationship with Mr. Coastrise. Is he alright with you guys coming to, well, this place?”
    Minato snorted, his eyes still focused on the magazine.

"... More than okay. Papa sent us all here. He said it should give us a place to---"

Whatever Minato had been intending to say, the words were cut off when the door to the common room was suddenly opened. In walked Jake Briggs, looking rather exhausted from his sudden jog. Still, there was a satisfied smile on his face like he had succeeded in the task he set out to do. And indeed, just a little after him, a woman with purple hair and flowing clothes practically glided in. Miss Sae Min, the vice-principal of the school, strode in with that silent confidence that she radiated wherever she went. Her stern eyes took one look at the three siblings, glanced at John with a hint of approval in them, and then returned to the Coastrises.

"Well. Better late than never I suppose," Miss Min started, a hint of a smile appearing on her face. "Principal was worried that something had gone wrong. But I see you found here eventually. That's good. Even if the confusion of this situation has made our room arrangements in the dorm rather... wonky, that doesn't matter for now. You're here, and that's what matters."

Immediately the three Coastrise-siblings stood up and lined before Miss Min a row, with Zhou and Yeong-Hui on both sides of Minato who stood in the middle. It was a rather formal way of greeting the teacher, but the respect in their eyes was clear. Even if this was their first meeting, it was more than likely that the siblings had heard of Sae Min before arriving here.

"... Yes. Apologies for the mix-up in the timetables. We should have just arrived here on the bus, like everyone else," Minato answered. "But getting a message out was difficult, and since we... I... didn't realize the school had started already this week, things became... muddled."

Miss Min nodded with a sigh, her subdued expression still betraying a hint of stress. It was clear that thanks to the whole deal with the siblings, a bunch of more work had been piled up on her shoulders. Reading between the lines, perhaps it hadn't been sure whether the siblings would attend in the first place, which would explain the odd arrangement of the rooms. But now that they were here, and as they were late, well... next week would probably prove to be interesting.

"I understand. But, as I said, it is good that you all are here now. That is all that matters right now," Sae Min answered. "Ah, yes, the Principal sends his regards. I gave him a call just now."

This seemed to pique Minato's interest. Even Zhou looked a bit more attentive with those words, peering at Sae Min through her glasses while tilting her head slightly. Yeong-Hui, on the other hand, had latched onto her brother's hand once more like the little octopus that she was.

"Oh? Is he in good health?" Minato asked, to which Sae Min nodded.

"Yes. As... energetic as ever, if I had to describe."

The sense of fatigue hidden in Miss Min's voice told much of just how "energetic" the principal apparently was.

Meanwhile, as the four were talking, Jake Briggs slipped into one of the chairs and wiped sweat from his brow, heaving a heavy sigh. He looked at John, glanced around the room a bit, and then focused back at the younger boy with a sort of questioning look in his eyes.

"Err... I take it the breakfast isn't here yet?" Jake asked, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

Well, somebody was hungry.

Lucille Faraday & Anna Vandemeel

"O-oh."

Looking rather embarrassed at his gushing from earlier, Mister Pinkerton awkwardly hung his arm in the air, unsure whether or not he should just power through Lucille's protests and pay for the baseball bat anyway. But, since he hesitated for a moment, in the end he was too slow. Money exchanged ownership, as did the baseball bat, and soon enough Lucille found herself as the new owner of this gift that either might make Mercedes happy... or make her annoyed. One or the other. It was still too early to tell.

"That's... err, sorry about that. For a moment I thought... never mind," Jack Pinkerton started, before drawing deep breath to get back his bearings. "Well, I guess I won't pay for that then. But... I already somewhat promised, didn't I? Or rather, this is my apology for teasing you, so don't worry. If there's something you need, I don't mind buying it for you! Think of it as an old man's poor attempt at making amends with nothing but money, hah!"

At least Jack Pinkerton had gotten his good mood back rather quickly, even if his enthusiasm of finding another baseball fanatic had been curbed rather quickly. But, he wasn't giving up either. For once it seemed that Lucille had found a person just as stubborn as herself, which oddly enough was this dorky old guy who just wouldn't take no for an answer when it came to an apology.

"Oh, welcome, loves! What can I get you?"

But as this was going on, the door to the store opened and Sue, who had been putting the money she had gotten to the register, let out a cheerful greeting. In fact, her eyes lit up a bit when she saw who it was that had arrived at the store. While Sue clearly didn't recognize the rose-haired boy in his trademark beanie, she did know who the raven-haired girl was. And that was why her raised hand turned into an enthusiastic wave at Anna Vandemeel.

"Ah, Anna, hi! Nice to see you again? How was your first week at Pinefall?" Sue asked, beaming an energetic smile at the girl. "And who's the new friend you got?"

Caleb, on the other hand, was looking like someone had just punched him straight in the guts. The reason was an obvious one, too. After all, his eyes looked in horror at all the Great-Britan paraphernalia around the shop. For the Scottish boy, it must've been a nightmare-ish sight all things considered. That was perhaps why he was so relieved to see at least one safe, familiar sight in the place.

"Hey. Are you out shopping?" Caleb greeted Lucille, his voice a bit weary. "... For baseball bats?"

The boy's eyes were now glued to the piece of sports equipment in the blonde girl's hands.

Jack Pinkerton, on the other hand, looked at Anna and Caleb with growing curiosity in his one functioning eye.

"Oh? Are these friends of you, Faraday?" he asked.

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Especially now that I have this to brighten up my day.”
    Rachel blinked in slight confusion, and let her eyes scan the dining room, trying to see if she could spot this 'acquaintance' that Vier had been talking about... but thanks to the young man still hiding behind his newspaper, the redhead's stare passed right by him without even registering the guy. After giving it a go and still not figuring out who the girl had been talking about, Rachel gave up and instead returned back to her breakfast.

"Oh. Well, some people can be right jerks at times," Rachel answered, shrugging her shoulders while chewing on a piece of bacon. "I happen to know two, well, maybe three, jerks of my own. You just have to learn to live with it, and give them a piece of your mind if things get really annoying. Unless, of course, you can just drop them and be done with it. What wouldn't I give if I didn't have to deal with that shut-in myself..."

Grumbling a little, Rachel washed her words down with a swig from her coffee. Little by little the breakfast and the rejuvenating elixir of life in that cup made the redhead before Vier climb out of whatever fatigue she had. Even smile started returning to her face. Or rather, a normal, relaxed smile of someone who was feeling alive again.

"So, about your work..." Rachel started, finishing up her eggs. "I was thinking of having you vacuum the basement corridors first and, if there's time, dust off the shelves in the storage room. Depending how well you do that, we could look at move you up here eventually. Mopping the floors here is pretty much physical labour, but I know Uncle would pay more for it."

Rachel took a moment's pause to wipe her mouth with a napkin before continuing.

"Still, can I ask something?" the redhead spoke, and then just went straight ahead without waiting for an answer. "I thought you guys at Pinefall were fed by the school and had roofs over your head. Why look for additional work? Aren't you youngsters supposed to... I dunno, head to Seattle on weekends to party or something?"

... That was pretty rich, coming from a girl that must not have been that much older than Vier.

Prushka
    [BGM]

For a moment, Xylia stared at Prushka, dumbfounded - like the smaller girl had grown a second head or something. Xeni and Xandra exchanged confused glances at what they heard. Clearly they had been under the impression that both Prushka and Xylia knew each other from before, and that this wasn't their first real time talking with each other. The dusky-skinned girl, too, was rather confused. Without removing her stare from Prushka, she accepted the pack of cigarettes that Xandra was offering (Xeni already had her own) and then slid it over the table to Prushka.

"... Ya know, ya can just say 'fuck'. Nobody's gonna care here. Except for... y'know," Xylia said and shot a fearful glance towards the kitchen door. "Anyways... the hell yer talking, Bobblehead? I mean, we went at it the first night we got here, right? On the day of that godawful bus trip?"

Xylia accepted flame from Xandra's lighter, and soon enough three cigarettes were leaving trails of smoke in the air, rising towards the ceiling. Xeni even made a little trip to the table nearby to get an ashtray for the whole group. After everybody was seated again, and all eyes were focused on Prushka (though with confusion this time), Xylia took a long drag from her smoke and continued.

"But if ya really can't remember, well, ergh..." She scratched her head for a moment. "I was in the kitchen. Then ya busted in like the hottest shit, and we got in an argument. Ya were being right little prick so I figured I'd put ya in yer place, but ya kept being uppity. So, in the end, I slapped the shit outta ya and left. Pretty good hit too, ya flew flat on yer ass. Hah, I bet ya were crying so much ya blocked the memory of the meanie bully Xylia from yer tangerine-sized brain! Hah!"

Xylia cackled and slapped her knee like she had said the most hilarious thing ever... but both her laugh and the insults felt a little forced. It might have been that even the dusky-skinned girl realized that something wasn't right and was now trying to play up her asshole personality to bring some levity to the situation, or find some normality in it. After all, if someone you thought you knew just informed you that they didn't remember meeting you... well, it would have unnerved anyone. Even Xylia Pheme.

"Sounds typical. Of Xylia. No way. You couldn't remember," Xeni chimed in, chewing on the end of the cigarette she was smoking. "So. If you don't. Something's wrong. Super fucked up."

Even Xandra wasn't sporting her usual, laid-back, juvenile grin. Instead she was staring at Prushka with slightly narrowed eyes and clear expression of thinking on her face, while holding her own smoke between her fingers.

"... So, what's this about? I mean, here I thought you and our own little Shitface were already buddies or something," Xandra asked. "No way would someone as neurotic as Xylia hang out with anyone they didn't know."

The burning eyes of Xylia Pheme shot a dirty glare towards Xandra.

"Oh fuck off!" the dusky-skinned girl protested, but not very convincingly.

After all, it looked like Xandra hadn't been wrong about what she said.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia Pheme
    "... Ya know, ya can just say 'fuck'. Nobody's gonna care here. Except for... y'know."
    I glance the way of the kitchen involuntarily. No sign of Ms. Walker. For now. But the force of nature could descend at any moment.

"I could, but... ugh..." It's stupid, but I still don't want to. "Look, you spray and pray all you want. I'll deploy mine tactically - oh, could I have one too?"

Last time my plans to do cool teenager things were foiled, but I'm sure they won't try to be all 'responsible' and stop me from trying one of these mythical 'cigarettes'.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia Pheme
    "I was in the kitchen. Then ya busted in like the hottest shit, and we got in an argument. Ya were being right little prick so I figured I'd put ya in yer place, but ya kept being uppity. So, in the end, I slapped the shit outta ya and left. Pretty good hit too, ya flew flat on yer ass. Hah, I bet ya were crying so much ya blocked the memory of the meanie bully Xylia from yer tangerine-sized brain! Hah!"
    "As if you could knock me down! ...but that matches up." I scratch my cheek sheepishly, where it was struck. So that pain was explained, too... "I guess, in some way, it did happen, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xeni
    "So. If you don't. Something's wrong. Super fucked up."
    "Yeah. Something is wrong. Something is definitely wrong."

I fold my arms and lean back. Even Xylia's feeling strange now. Well, it makes sense. Nobody can walk away from being told something like "I don't remember you".

"Xylia, I'm sure our argument happened. There's no reason to doubt that at all. If we go back and search, we'll definitely some sort of proof of it."

Yeah, I bet even the world would agree. "The problem is, there's another argument in my memories, with someone that couldn't ever be mistaken for you. She was taller, pale, with longer and lighter blonde hair, almost white, a bunch of fake medals and a haughty attitude. Russian, not Greek. Spoke like a blue blooded rich girl. Someone that thought the world was full of fake people, and only she was real. Someone that saw herself as the top of the trash heap called society. Someone that likely wouldn't have friends to visit her on the weekend."

Her philosophy and Xylia's can't ever be mistaken for the same thing. I mean, for one, Xylia is the sort of person that makes friends, but her...

"I asked around a bit before talking to you. Some of the students remember seeing her on the bus. Some of them remember you instead. She only existed in Pinefall for that first day, and only for some of us. Pyry and Subaru don't remember her. Adelaide and Hisa do. I'm not sure who else does and doesn't."

It's still bizarre, no matter what explanation is used.

"Was it some kind of group hallucination? Maybe. Probably. Even if she never existed, you were still the target of it. Something could've tried to supplant your identity and then vanished... I don't know. The question's been bugging me all week."

This must be ridiculously confusing, and terrifying. But it's better to know than to not. Sorry, Xylia.

"So... Does the name 'Elizaveta Vyraj' ring a bell?"
    Last edited by Bloble; June 28th, 2019 at 08:43 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

“Too young to be at a bar in the morning?”

Wasn’t sure who the woman was, but she seemed to be a regular. Why else would she be here this early, and why would the owner just let her be here all alone...

“I’m definitely not old but not exactly a kid either.”

But...Youngsters, huh? Is she talking about Elaine and the others? Or was there someone here after that? It can’t have been Pyry, he was alone...Or was he?

Hopping down on one of the bar stools, I figured I might as well just take some time to get myself acquainted with the people here. Someone spending her nights in a bar might just know a thing or two...

“Ah, thanks, I’m okay for now, if you don’t mind me just sitting here without actually ordering anything.“

Not that I couldn’t use some alcohol right now, but maybe it’s just a bit too early for that…

“Wouldn’t mind chatting a bit though. Say, about those youngsters you mentioned? I remember a few of my classmates coming here yesterday evening, but maybe you meant someone else, later at night?” I asked, eyeing the woman curiously.

There must be a lot more to her than what she’s trying to give away. Can’t exactly just be an ordinary drunkard, but if she’s not, then why is she pretending to be one?

Blog Entries
    Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Wouldn’t mind chatting a bit though. Say, about those youngsters you mentioned? I remember a few of my classmates coming here yesterday evening, but maybe you meant someone else, later at night?”
    The woman thought for a moment, finger on her lip, before she shook her head.

"No. Nobody else but yours truly was here after your classmates left, growing my tab slowly but surely," she answered and chuckled in that husky voice that only years of whiskey and cigarettes can bring you. "Hell, other than Billie you're only the second person I've seen here even today."

The woman took a moment to peer at her own glass, slowly swiveling it in a circular motion to make the black fluid inside form a small whirpool. She stared into the depths of whatever alcohol it was, before gulping it all down in one well-rehearsed motion and slammed the glass down to the counter, causing a sharp noise to echo in the otherwise quiet bar. In the distance of the actual gas station, the low murmur of conversation died for a moment. Perhaps this had been some sort of sign that the woman needed a reload when it came to her drinks, and thus served as a call for the bartender.

"The first one was... well, most likely your classmates as well. A golden-haired guy. But unlike the blonde last night who I think got rather mad at me, this one polite... or, polite enough. Looked rather haggard, if anything," the woman continued, looking nowhere in particular. "Came asking about some Russian woman or another, drank the last of Billie's Coors in the fridge and then went on his way. Not an unpleasant sight at all, to be honest. Mmm..."

The woman chuckled again, but this time there was a hint of sultriness in that tone - like a predator of some sort that was appraising a piece of meat before her eyes. Still, after a moment or two, the woman finally turned towards Hisa and lazily, languidly, offered her hand for a half-assed shake of a greeting.

"Ah, yes, Carrie Lakes. Folklorist."

A simple enough introduction.

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "So... Does the name 'Elizaveta Vyraj' ring a bell?"
    Xylia blinked.

She stayed silent for ten seconds, mulling the question over.

And then...

"... No fucking clue who that is," she answered, shrugging. "Never heard of someone named that."

She turned her burning eyes towards Xeni and Xandra, but both girls shook their heads, almost in unison. No recognition in their eyes, not even a hint of glint of knowing who or what that name belonged to. The only thing they had to give some context to this all was Prushka's own explanation, and that was why the trio now looked more confused than ever. Especially Xylia, whose face was now marred with some sort of anxiety that she tried to mask with her usual bravado.

"Still, that's goddamn weird. I mean, ya remembering whatever I could get, what with yer pea-sized brain and all that, but others too...? And just some, but not everybody? The hell's that supposed to mean?" Xylia wondered, before a sarcastic smirk rose to her lips. "Though that would've been better, I s'pose. Wouldn't be stuck in this shithole of a place. I'd trade places with that Eliza-whatever in a heartbeat."

That smirk soon turned sour, and a harsh look appeared in Xylia's eyes.

"Even so, I was there on the first day. Me and not some goddamn rich bitch Russian," she growled, looking straight ahead into her own thoughts. "Ain't nobody gonna take my place, even if it's in this arse-end of a town."

A freezing silence that lasted almost 30 seconds, followed, with Xylia gathering her bearings a bit after these bizarre, absurd, and slightly worrisome news. Once she was on top of things again, the girl lifted the pack of cigarettes from the table (Lucky Bastard brand) and offered them towards Prushka. Xandra leaned in as well, ready with her lighter.

".. But sure. Take one. Didn't know ya smoked, shortstack."

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

I saw Rachel Halloway look around to see who I could be talking about, however thankfully for him. He still had his newspaper up to block her view. So that means he wouldn’t be unnecessarily prodded and I wouldn’t lose some of my current good reputation to my employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Halloway
    "Oh. Well, some people can be right jerks at times. I happen to know two, well, maybe three, jerks of my own. You just have to learn to live with it, and give them a piece of your mind if things get really annoying. Unless, of course, you can just drop them and be done with it. What wouldn't I give if I didn't have to deal with that shut-in myself..."
    “That sounds about right. There’ll be jerks anywhere you go, so you’ll just have to deal with them one way or another.”

I watched as she regained her good cheer with a cup of coffee.

"So, about your work… I was thinking of having you vacuum the basement corridors first and, if there's time, dust off the shelves in the storage room. Depending how well you do that, we could look at move you up here eventually. Mopping the floors here is pretty much physical labour, but I know Uncle would pay more for it."
    “I’m surprised I’m not starting off up here… But okay, I can prove me worth by starting down there. I’ll admit it was pretty dusty down there when I visited the library a few days ago. And that’s without mentioning organizing the library which just seems like a long term project.”

I finally finished my chocolate cake and started to move onto the french toast with a light layer of maple syrup. It was just right in my opinion as it had a nice crispy outer layer with a soft inside.

"Still, can I ask something? I thought you guys at Pinefall were fed by the school and had roofs over your head. Why look for additional work? Aren't you youngsters supposed to... I dunno, head to Seattle on weekends to party or something?"
    “Well you are right in that we are given room and board at Pinefall. But I have several issues if I wanted to go party in Seattle for a night.” I raised three fingers. “First, we have a nighttime curfew even on weekends… Not that it would stop people from actually doing things at night, but it’s the thought. Second, I don’t have a car or motorcycle to take to Seattle or even a bigger town. Finally, I just don’t have money to go party, shopping, or even gas.”

I gave a dramatic sigh before continuing on.

“Because unlike some of my classmates, I’m positively dirt poor after the flight from Germany. So anything aside from like my school necessities, I don’t own very much like I have my two instruments, some changes of clothes and not much else.”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"You're definitely one of a kind," is all I can say for reassurance. I've never been in this sort of situation, but it must be terrifying, having your own existence doubted by someone else. Then again, Xylia seems to be dealing with it pretty well. "That does mean I'm holding you responsible for that bruise though. I was getting weird looks the whole next day over it."

Still, it's disappointing to run into yet another dead end. "If this is a bust... Then it's just the library left, now. Hah..."

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia
    ".. But sure. Take one. Didn't know ya smoked, shortstack."
    "I don't, but I've always wanted to try! And is that Lucky Bastards? Those are my teacher's favourite brand! He never let me get away with one though..."

Yes... This is it. The one victory I can claim today. Take that, everyone! You can't stop me anymore! It's time to become a rebel, a lawbreaker, a renegade!

With trembling fingers (from anticipation of course) I remove a cigarette from the packaging. I hold it between my lips like I remember seeing, and let the fire from the lighter brush up agaimst the tip (after making sure Ms. Walker won't show up at the worst possible time). Now, you're supposed to try and breathe through it...

".............!?"

Huh?

"Ack!"

The tube of paper and tobacco falls, and I instinctively clap one hand around my mouth to muffle something half between a cough and a retch.

That was... That was...

"Ew... It's like the back of my throat's covered in soot... I thought it'd be, like, a woody flavour..."

The aftertase is terrible, and it's like the smoke is stuck in my windpipe, itching and burning.

"This is what he was smoking all the time!?"

Ugh... At least this soda's washing away the taste. But it can't cure this nausea in my soul!

"I'm never touching one of these again..."

Hisa Momoi

A golden haired guy drinking booze and asking about a russian woman...Yeah, that clearly must have been Pyry. Even more so because of the way she described him...He surely catches the eye of every woman, huh...

Still, a folklorist?

How intriguing…

“So you’re not just a local drunk, huh?”

Lips curling into a mischievous smile, I extend my arm to take the woman’s hand;

“Hisa Momoi, someone straight out of a fairy tale. Nice to meet you.”

With the introductions done, I quietly observe the woman for a few moments---

An attempt to figure whether she is worth my time or not, I suppose. Now that I know that she talked to Pyry, I could easily just get the information I needed…

Would save time and effort and not having to deal with her apparently somewhat unpleasant personality would be the preferable option, but still…

“Could you elaborate a bit more on this golden haired guy?” I spoke up finally after the pause, quickly correcting myself afterwards, “Not the way he looked like, that I’m well aware of to every last detail.”

Not that I was proud of it, but I’ve probably seen a bit too much of Pyry’s body considering how we’ve only known each other for so long...

“But rather stuff like what he asked about and what you told him.”

Gesturing towards her empty glass with my head, I presented the price I was willing to pay for her information;

“Next drink is on me, in exchange. And who knows, I could maybe tell you some other things as well that might be in your interest.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Common Room
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

John Dove’s struggle to sustain a social exchange with the Coastrises ends when Jake Briggs returns, Miss Sae Min in tow. She fills the room with her austere presence, projecting the quiet confidence of a figure of authority. It would be somewhat intimidating had he not already experienced the ultimate numinous.

It seems there remains a bit of a mess with the allocation of these new students, but John is confident everything will be resolved with little issue, so he merely stands to meet the newcomers and watches the exchange quietly.
    The whole conversation between Sae Min and the Coastrises, does it suggest…?

No, not quite, but it is worth keeping in mind. A question for another opportunity, he guesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    “Err... I take it the breakfast isn't here yet?”
    Wait, you expect Sakura to feed you as well?

Are you not an independent, responsible adult that provides for his own meals?

I do not remember feeding you being part of my proposal.

All perfectly valid, if blunt, responses. However, this is John Dove. It would take the most unusual of circumstances for him to say something like that.

“Does the school provide you with breakfast as well, Jake?”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Because unlike some of my classmates, I’m positively dirt poor after the flight from Germany. So anything aside from like my school necessities, I don’t own very much like I have my two instruments, some changes of clothes and not much else.”
    Rachel, who had by now finished everything else but her piece of the chocolate cake, nodded in understanding.

"Ah, I see. Well that makes sense I guess," the redhead commented. "I mean, you can take a bus to Seattle, but even that costs, so a penniless student would have a rough time with it. And since you guys are gonna be here for, what, a year, I suppose a part-time job is a good idea. I can't promise we can pay any super high sums, but if you do your job well I'm sure Uncle will pay enough that you don't have to spend every weekend scrubbing our floors."

The older girl chuckled slightly to herself and got to work with her piece of cake, using a spoon to cut it in smaller pieces and eat rather daintily, despite her otherwise strong personality. Meanwhile, around the two women, the hustle and bustle of the dining room got quieter as most of the other guests had already left. The ones that still remained were an old woman by the window, staring out through it, and a certain dusky-skinned young man who had stopped hiding his face behind the newspaper. Instead it was now laid on his table and he had a small notebook open next to it, making some sort of markings while looking at one opening or another. Perhaps he was still focused on those sports results.

"Anyways, do you have any questions regarding the job? It's nothing mind-blowing, of course, just your basic cleaning stuff. Using common sense is adviced and recommended," Rachel continued, sipping on her coffee. "We won't be giving you any keys... well, yet. If you prove yourself to Uncle he might relent a bit on that department. And of course if something goes missing from where you're working, you're gonna be the main suspect. And Uncle will know if something does go missing. Just a fair warning, don't think too much of it."

Hisa Momoi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    “Next drink is on me, in exchange. And who knows, I could maybe tell you some other things as well that might be in your interest.”
    Carrie's smirk widened a bit at this proposition.

"Well, that's certainly a fine bribe. Both alcohol and information are fine commodities, especially if they come from someone who claims to be straight from a fairy tale," the older woman answered with a raised eyebrow. "Well, I guess I'll pour myself another and you can pay for it when Billie gets around. Just a moment..."

Carrie slid out of her seat and waltzed behind the counter, where she proceeded to fill her glass again with large cubes of ice and liquid from a bottle that was just as black as its contents. A heavy smell of tar entered the room as the bottle was opened, hinting at just what sort of poison this self-proclaimed folklorist was drinking. Then, humming a little to herself as she did, Carrie set the bottle back on the shelf, wrote a something on a post-it-note next to it, and then walked back. She sat at her seat and turned her attention back to Hisa.

"Now then, where was I... Ah, right, the blonde boy," she started, taking a sip of her drink and adopting a thinking expression. "Well, he came in pretty early. Must have been after 8 AM, so, what, four hours ago? In any case, he came in and... Oh?"

As if she had just remembered something, Carrie peered a little closer at Hisa's face. The older woman was searching for something perhaps, or just studying the scarred girl's expression and the way she held herself. After a ten or twenty silent, uneasy seconds, the woman then leaned back and adopted a somewhat smug smirk. No, not just smug. It was a smile of a person who had (at least they believed so) figured out something amusing which they were now about to take advantage of.

So, the worst kind of smug.

"Ah, I suppose that explains your snippy little comment about knowing every last detail of his looks," Carrie continued and chuckled to herself. "Well, I don't know what sort of domestic fight I've been dragged into, but I wouldn't worry. The guy wasn't here for long. As I said, he drank three Coors, asked some questions and left. Was looking for someone named... Elizaveta, I think? Sounded Russian. Well, in any case, since neither Billie nor I knew anything about a person like that, we adviced him to ask around the town. Perhaps the Sheriff's Department. He thanked us, very politely, and left. Smelled a bit like last night's whiskey, though."

Sighing a bit and taking another swig from her drink, Carrie finished up her recount of the events. And while the smug smile from her face did not disappear anywhere, it's mischievousness did lessen somewhat, replaced by something that wasn't exactly gentle but... perhaps more neutral. Like she didn't want to antagonize the girl too much.

"But other than that, he seemed to be in good shape. Even said something about not wanting to show his face before he had something to apologize with. So putting the pieces together, I think he's just trying to make amends. Not going to ask why, since the boy himself looked so confused as well, but... well, take an older woman's advice here, Fairy Tale Girl," Carrie spoke softly. "Anger is a poor mask for worry, and even worse at welcoming others back. I dunno if you've looked at yourself in a mirror today, but... you look rather stressed out. Might be a good time to unwind yourself so you don't end up causing another problem when the lad does come back."

John Dove

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “Does the school provide you with breakfast as well, Jake?”
    A rather awkward laugh escaped from Jake's throat and he scratched the back of his head, quite unable to meet John's eyes with his own.

"Haha, funny thing about that... they kind of don't. The thing is, dude, they pay me my salary, but give me a place to sleep, but other than that, I'm kinda on my own, ahaha..." Jake answered, giving a somewhat worried glance towards Miss Min who was still conversing with the three siblings. "That wouldn't be a problem if they didn't give me my pay at the end of each month, and well... we're a bit far away from that as well."

And so the sad truth of Oceandrop Program's job prospects, at least those that didn't involve high lever education and recognized expertise in one's chosen field, came to light. At the end of the day, Jake Briggs was just like any other janitor. His school might have been a special one, funded by a philanthropist billionaire and armed to the teeth with newest education tools and top-of-their-field teachers and faculty, but he... he was nothing more but a local young man, trying to make the ends meet.

--- Even if it meant poaching some breakfast from one of the students of the high school he worked at.

"... Just... don't think too badly of me, dude. I've been eating nothing but beans and toast this whole week," Jake continued. "And the smells coming from your cafeteria aint' exactly helping..."

The world of adults was a truly complex and sometimes sad place.

Prushka

"I'm never touching one of these again..."

"KYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!"

At that, the table around Prushka exploded in roaring laughter that came from all the three girls she was with. Xylia, who had been waiting for what was to come with baited breath and barely hidden glee, was now guffawing and cackling maniacally, slapping her knee and pointing at Prushka with tears of hilarity in her eyes. Xandra, on the other hand, had almost started giving Prushka advice when it came to smoking, but after the smaller girl had taken the initiative, the only thing she could was to watch in schadenfreude as everything went to crapper. Even the silver-haired girl couldn't hold back from laughing at Prushka's reactions though, holding her stomach as she almost doubled over.

And then there was Xeni, who, instead of uproarious laughter like the two others, just stared straight at Prushka with those tired eyes of hers and let out a machine-gun-like sound of: "hehehehehehehehe". It was... it was some sort of cackle, alright, but more unnerving than anything else. It was clear why this girl didn't laugh that often.

But, in the end, the outcome was clear. The three girls were mocking Prushka with their gleeful, crude laughters - finding her inexperience with a simple cigarette hilarious.

Yet at the same time they weren't.

Sure enough they mocked Prushka, but at the same time... they didn't seem to think any less of her. They would have done the exact same if something similar had happened to one of them, and expected the smallest girl to join in. These three didn't hold back on calling out something as stupid or ridiculous, even other people, because they didn't care what others thought of them. Instead they were being honest. Honesty is cruel and rude, after all. If these three thought you had done something stupid or embarrassing, they'd call you out on it. Just like they expected you to call them out as well.

There were no pretenses in whatever connections they had with each other. No acting nice even though they thought differently. And no thinking less of someone even if they did something moronic.

Just like here with Prushka and her cigarette. They laughed at her. They mocked her. But there was nothing hateful or malicious about it. They didn't think less of her.

"Jesus Christ, just how much of a virgin are ya!?" Xylia cackled and slammed the table with her hand, again and again. "Can't even smoke a single cigarette...! Hah! Ya really are kid! The hell yer acting all grown up for!"

Grinning viciously from ear to ear, Xylia brandished her own cigarette for Prushka to see, while picking up the one that had fallen and handing it back to her.

"Listen up, ya turnip, ya don't breath through the damn thing. Ya inhale some, ya exhale some, ya keep breathing like normal, get it? Otherwise yer just gonna choke or pass out!" Xylia instructed Prushka. "And take small doses first. An amateur like ya always tries to overcompensate. If ya haven't smoked before and if yer gag-reflex is still intact, ya can't just try to burn it down with single inhale. In other words, take it slow. Get it?"

The cigarette before Prushka's face kept leaving a trail of smoke up towards the ceiling.

Elaine Winters

She stood there, peeking in the doorway, thoroughly nonplussed by the scene in front of her. She was of course aware of what they were doing, she'd spent a few afternoons peering over her brothers' shoulders as they mowed down Nazis and fought a dire battle against Hitler in a robot suit.

This one escaped her, though the general construction was basically the same, just letting a couple of guys play computer paintball with various weapons, such as the rockets and other sorts of firearms they were playing around with.

She'd never really gotten the chance to mess around with that stuff, though, mobile as they were, when she was younger, yeah, they tended to hang around for six months, sometimes a year.

By the time she was able to mess around with it by herself, well, it was a bit different, wasn't it?

She lingered for a moment, watching quietly, considering if this 'deathmatch' thing was dehumanizing and desensitizing people towards vicious, bloody ultraviolence.

Nah, the past few decades of film and television had done that on its own, video games are merely putting it into one's own hands.

"Hell're you nerds doing in here, jerkin' it?"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Uuuuu... I'm not a kid! That was just a test run!"

Like hell am I losing to some stupid cigarette!

Ears burning from embarrassment, I grab the offending object and gently bite down on the end again.

Quote Originally Posted by Xylia
    "Listen up, ya turnip, ya don't breath through the damn thing. Ya inhale some, ya exhale some, ya keep breathing like normal, get it? Otherwise yer just gonna choke or pass out! And take small doses first. An amateur like ya always tries to overcompensate. If ya haven't smoked before and if yer gag-reflex is still intact, ya can't just try to burn it down with single inhale. In other words, take it slow. Get it?"
    "R-right, of course. Easy peasy."

It's weird. How I'm almost comfortable here. I woke up this morning thinking Xylia was awful and I wasn't, and now it's almost like the opposite.

They're weird. Yeah, that's it. Humans are weird. And they don't make a lick of sense.

The second try goes down smoothly. It's... well, it's like breathing in smoke. I'm not sure what else I expected. I don't cough this time, but it's still a bit uncomfortable. But there's supposed to be some kind of upside, right? Otherwise people wouldn't smoke at all. And yet, I don't really feel any different, besides it the unpleasant aftertaste. I don't even feel cooler at all!

Well, maybe it's something that needs to be investigated a bit more. Or you just need to keep doing it?

"T-thanks. I've wanted to cross that one off the list for years."

I take another sip of cola, to wash away the bitterness, and look at the three girls that have turned my morning upside down with fresh eyes.

Xylia, Xandra, and Xeni. If humans are weird, then they're among the peak of that weirdness. Rude, insulting, and uncompromising. But also... sort of fun to hang out with. If I didn't have all this stuff to do...

"Hey," my next question, not planned at all, is addressed to Xeni and Xandra. "Are you two... gonna stick around Road's End?"

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Hell're you nerds doing in here, jerkin' it?"
    Without even looking back, Kean Loinnir raised his hand in a lazy sort of greeting towards Elaine. At the same time he used Travis's and Hwan's suprise at the girls' voice calling out to them to take out both boy's, racking up his "kill-count" at the same time. Travis, who had been staring at Elaine like he was expecting a fight to break out, cursed and hit the table with his fist, growling in frustration. Hwan Bin, on the other hand, stared for a few moments more and then went back to playing without saying a word. It was like he had checked if any actual trouble (for himself, not for the other two) had arrived, and since it hadn't, he lost interest.

Was the white-haired boy expecting something to happen, then?

"Oh, yeah, a total masturbation party. Jerking in a circle and all that," Kean's sarcastic voice answered. "If you want to join grab a chair and start shlicking, we're making good progress here."

With his victory for the moment secured, or at least much more likely, the silver-haired boy took finally some time to swivel around on his chair and give a lopsided grin to the blonde girl standing in the doorway. Almost immediately, however, a momentary confusion appeared in his eyes as he stared down at the small girl clinging to Elaine. The girl in question let out a small "Eep!" and hid her face, causing Kean's eyebrows to rise even higher towards his hairline.

A cocked eyebrow plastered on his face, the boy returned his attention to the blonde.

"... Or, maybe you've got us beat when it comes to that progess, actually," he commented, pointing his finger at the girl. "Must've been hell of a guy to bump uglies with you so fast you're already raising the fruit of his loins."

Travis cackled under his breath after hearing that, and even Hwan snorted a bit in amusement through neither of them dared to look at Elaine. Even Kean, after saying all that, let his grin return. He was clearly curious as to what was going on, but per his usual style, there was no way he was going to come out and say it.

Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Hey. Are you two... gonna stick around Road's End?"
    Xandra and Xeni looked at each other for a moment, conveying something through their stares alone. Then, out of nowhere, the silver-haired girl leaned forward again and suddenly Prushka found her own free hand in the gentle grasp of Xandra. Being this close again, the older girl stared straight into her eyes and an oddly gentle, almost suggestive smile rose to her face.

"Well, we didn't exactly have plans beyond this but... If you want, we can definitely hang around here longer," Xandra said, almost purring as she did. "At least I wouldn't mind getting to know you better. And I promised you a ride, didn't I? In fact, what if we just left these two sour sacks of shit behind and took a drive to that hotel of this to---AW GODDAMMIT!"

Without any hesitation, Xeni had taken her glass full of sugary, syrupy cola and dumped it on the head of Xandra, who now retreated back while cursing heavily, swatting at the panda-ayed girl in a desperate attempt to get back. Xeni, on the other hand, simply caught hold of Xandra's flailing arms, snatched her in a headlock, and started forcing her below the table while grumbling something about: "It's time. To cool down. Hotshot."

Xylia, on the other hand, rolled her eyes and made a motion as if she wanted to swat Prushka on the head.

"I told ya to watch yerself with Xandra, didn't I? Jesus, it's like ya can't read the situation like all!" the dusky-skinned girl admonished Prushka. "That girl's gonna eat ya alive if ya give her an inch. Ya wouldn't be the first young little thing she finds cute and decides to gobble up!"

Xylia emphasized her words by taking a heavy drag from her cigarette and washing it down with cola.

Then, as if realizing something, she continued.

"... Ya do know what I'm talking 'bout here, right?" she asked, making sure thanks to the nagging feeling at the back of her head. "I don't mean that she wants to actually eat ya, she's not some cannibal."

There was now a rather deadpan expression on Xylia's face.

"I mean that she wants jump yer bones, Virgo."

Hisa Momoi

What is that look? D-Domestic? Just what is she thinking, it’s like she is assuming that I...I did things like that with him…I wouldn’t...

My face blushing slightly, I avert my gaze for a moment, but regain my composure just as fast;

“I’m not sure what you are thinking...But there is nothing between us. I just happened to see him almost naked due to some circumstances.”

“But yeah, suppose you are right. Was just worried because he is rather irresponsible, but if he didn’t drink that much and is just looking around town it should be okay.”

Not that it was him doing something that worried me the most...It’s not exactly safe wandering around alone, and if something would end up happening to him...

Well, hopefully he’ll return soon.

“Wouldn’t mind not having to chase that idiot around town. Lot more comfortable here, and listening to you might be just more interesting. A folklorist who also spends her nights in a bar might just know a story or two I would think.”

Certainly more productive than going around the town on foot - even if it’s not that big of a place, it still takes quite a bit to get somewhere…

Maybe Pyry could teach me how to drive. Would certainly make life easier. It can’t be that hard anyways, I suppose.

Though I’d need a car as well, which is a bigger issue...

“Well, I did promise that I’d share some things as well, so ask away if you’d like, but in the meantime…”

Much as I wanted to dig into some more concerning details, I realized I knew very little of the woman and there were some other things that I should just confirm first.

“Err, well, actually, are you a local, to begin with? You seem to be well acquainted here...With the owner of the bar at least, but at the same time, as a folklorist, I’d assume you’d go around places?”

How much exactly can one learn in a small, isolated like this anyways...

“Wouldn’t mind hearing a bit more about the history of the town, but not sure how much you know.” I added in sort of a provocative manner, in hopes of getting some information out of her before she turns the tables on me.

Last edited by Cheetose; June 29th, 2019 at 06:16 PM.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

I'm a bit shocked by Sakura's reaction, to say the least. Others don't care for me, much. It's simpler to just smile and let it go, as I am, after all a fake. Mercedes saw it immediately, so it is only natural for others to see the same from me. A fake personality, a fake past, a fake smile, a fake reaction...

It's all so tiresome. Tedious. The talking, the dancing, the pretense. I hate it. Despise it on a fundamental level. If magic exists, then shouldn't everyone be able to see it? If I'm as spectacular as everyone has told me, then why do I feel nothing upon accomplishment? If heroes are truly real, then why has no one even tried to help me?

I smile. It's empty.

"If someone has vanished, even from memory, then why bother searching for her? Such a thorough vanishing is only clear of one thing, you know?"

Whoever has hidden them does not want them to be found. To erase even memory is a dangerous, dangerous thing. Such a thorough replacement, down to the very core of almost everyone here, is almost impossible. Someone will slip through the cracks. Someone will have a more impactful memory that they can't bear to part from. It's not as simple as it sounds.

"Either she has disappeared entirely, or she has been replaced utterly. To search for her is to invite despair, no? What will you find at the end of the tunnel you're walking down?"

I sigh, opening Mercedes' book once more to read it over. The chicken scratch masquerading as words, the phrases that aren't even slightly intelligible, the makeshift code that I can't seem to decipher. It's annoying. It's tedious.

"If even memory fails, then perhaps something else is at work," I say, licking a finger as I turn a page. "Myths and monsters after all, seem to be entirely commonplace at Road's End. From gods to ghosts to vanishing from even our thoughts, there's simply no way that it's accidental."

My eyes rove over the page, taking in words that I cannot read.

"Do you really think it's all just a coincidence? That this many people have been invited to a school for those fallen far from the baseline of reality, and one of them just happens to vanish? That people arrive and disappear without so much as a second thought? This isn't a school, Miss Pelltier. Don't tell me you're that dizzyingly naïve."

I close the book, already annoyed enough by the turn of conversation, by what has already occurred to me, but I had closed away, hoping, that dangerous, small seed that infests your soul, that wraps its tendrils around your skin and closes claws around your heart, that it would be different. I had given into it, because I had wanted to give into it. Because of course, nothing in this world compares to the sinister and callous cruelty of those in power.

"It's an experiment."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Huh? 'Jump my bones'?"

There it is. Yet another of those weird slang phrases that I don't get. It's times like this that I curse how sheltered I've been. There's so much to learn in this world that books and movies can't prepare you for.

So, what does Xylia mean here? Jump my bones... that sounds like she wants to do something to me. The first thought would be cannibalism, but Xylia already ruled that out. Maybe...

"Don't tell me!" I hold my hand up, brows furrowed. "I've got this. Maybe it's..."

Xandra clearly likes hanging out with me. She's been the friendliest of the trio. So it's probably not something hostile in general. But it's clearly something big enough that Xeni and Xylia are worried about it. So, if she's being chastised and I'm being warned, maybe it's bad after all? But what could be... wait.

I look at the hand that she touched. It couldn't be, could it? I bring it up to my nose and sniff.

"Oh. That..."

Huh? Wait, that doesn't make sense. If it's that, then...

Once more, the cigarette falls from my lips.

"You're talking about
    that!?"

But, but, but-!

"But you're a girl! And so am I! And I'm tiny! That's gross!"

Hold on a moment.

"Well, you're the same age. and size... so maybe it's not gross... b-but still!"

This is... this is... is this awful!? I can't tell!

"You... you can't even... it's like fitting a round peg into a square hole... except it's just two holes..."

This scenario has never occurred to me. In the first place, it's impossible, right? It's definitely impossible! No, whether it's impossible or not isn't even the problem.

I duck below the table, feeling dizzier and hotter by the second, looking for Xandra to confirm.

"Sorry, but it's im-impossible! It's impossible for girls! Or boys! Or anyone! I'm f-flattered, but it's just not possible!"

I'm overheating...

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

"Oh?"

A verbal exclamation to show surprise, but interest at the same time. Vivienne stood up in a fairly nonchalant-way, mask still donned, leaving her eyes as the only visible part of her face from an outsider's perspective.

While she approached this newcomer, feathers and all the other plant and animal-related ornaments that were woven as regalia onto the skull swayed with each one of her steps, and with enough imagination, it was easy to compare this sight to the pheasant's parade when it spreads out its wondrous tails as a mating show.

Though one should not be taking this too literally, as there was most likely nothing here in Vivienne's intent that had to do with this metaphoric description.

Still, this most definitely would remain a strange sight for anyone to see, a sight that would call for many questions... and yet the hooded man had seemingly come to terms with what he had seen in a rather hasty fashion. Was this just normal in Road's End, or was it more that he understood that this was indeed a school for 'special' people.

Whatever the case was, the masked girl addressed him as if everything was perfectly fine and normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Riding Hood Snr.
    "Sorry. Surprised me a little. That's one wicked mask you got there,"
    "Hello there. It is indeed a rather intimidating mask, but that is part of the charm these disguises hold, don't you think?"

Contrasting starkly with the grim accessory she was wearing on her head, 'Vivienne' spoke in a very soft-spoken way, her words and tone holding an agreeable nature to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Riding Hood Snr.
    "Anyways, have you seen this girl wearing a red jacket around here? Black hair? Goes by Anna Vandemeel? She was supposed to come over for a dinner but since we never agreed on time, I figured I'd swing by and ask her. I'd hate to be too late or too early with the cooking."
    She pondered his question for a bit, before replying:

"Hmmm, Anna Vandemeel? Though I've seen her come and go, I've never spoken to her. She could be still inside the dormitories... perhaps that you may want me to pass your message on if I see her? It may also be possible that she is gone on some morning venture, in which case I may not be of too much help... though I could inquire if anyone has an idea of where she went too."

A generous offer for help. It was quite notable how much this masked girl was so... wholesomely helpful? There was no sass, nothing that could be picked up as hidden intention as she explained what she could do -- it was a clear example of someone wearing their heart on their sleeve...

"Oh, but how should I refer to you as? Or are you two well acquainted enough to the point where she will immediately know who I am referring to when I present her the details, if she happens to be in the dormitories?"

The masked girl paused, suddenly having a realization as she let out an audible hmm and somehow managed to cusp her chin as if deep in thought.

"But then for the two of you to have a scheduled date together, she possibly couldn't not know who you are."

And with that conclusion, the helpful, macabre mask-wearing girl now looked at the blonde young man, her blue eyes shining with a strange luster to them. One could even imagine a pleasant, warm smile drawn on her lips below that mask, and that would be fairly accurate to the reality of things.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Phase: Morning
    Date: 10.09.1994

"Ah, Anna, hi! Nice to see you again? How was your first week at Pinefall?"
    End’s Store and Post was just as much of a paraphernalia-ladened curiosity as it was the first time around. And the almost overbearing chirpiness of Sue, the shopkeeper, hadn’t gone anywhere either. Perhaps it was due to the low number of customers that she could keep up this outwards facade all day long. Or, more likely, this was just the British shopkeeper's natural personality. Either way, it probably made her uniquely suited to handle the hardships of retail life.

God knows I’d probably end up socking some asshole in the face after half a day.

“Hey, hey.” Anna gave a lazy wave and a shrug to the shopkeeper. “Can’t say that much has changed since last time. About what you’d expect. More tedious classes and pointless teen drama than you can shake a stick at.”

“And you?” Anna’s eyes briefly glanced at Lucille and the eyepatch-wearing blonde standing next to her. “Have you managed to peddle some Union Jacks and “Keep Calm and Carry On” posters to my poor, unsuspecting classmates?”

"And who's the new friend you got?"
    “Aah, this slightly clueless-looking guy is Caleb.” A note of wry humor was clearly evident in Anna’s voice, as she saw the artists apparent shock. ”Actually, I suppose the two of you have quite a lot to talk about, what with the both of you being from the same neck of the woods and all.”

"... For baseball bats?"
    Indeed, Lucille Faraday was carrying in her hands a rather sturdy looking wooden bat, something that didn’t really mesh that well with the blue-eyed, blond-haired girls image. Or how Anna perceived it, at least. It's not as if they had interacted in any meaningful fashion outside of attending the same classes. Well, there was that brief exchange during the beach party, but the blonde had rushed out almost as fast as she appeared back then.

“Careful, Highlander.” A ghost of a grin appeared on Anna’s face. “You better be on your best behavior here.”

“From the looks of it, if you end up in one of your usual misunderstandings, instead of getting slapped, you might just end up getting slugged in the face by a baseball bat.”