Page 53 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3434851525354555863103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4864

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 09.09.1994 (FRI)
    Weather: Rain

That wasn’t her imagination. Sakura had instinctively reached for the knife. Though normally Lucille would have been more frightened… she was beginning to have a sneaking suspicion that this behavior wasn’t far off from the actual character of Pinefall students, even if she really hoped it wasn’t.

As for being yelled at by Mercedes, well, she expected that. A provocation like hers wasn’t something the starlet would take lying down. Sakura’s words did shed more light on the situation, however. It seemed that despite all her bluster, Mercedes West was really lonely. Maybe ribbing her was the wrong way to approach this.

“I have a bit of a problem with breaking into other people’s rooms, but the adage is that ‘you can’t make an omelet without breaking a few eggs,’ isn’t it?” Lucille was quite aware of what things were morally improper and what wasn’t. Even so… she was of the opinion that sometimes it was necessary to do something less than scrupulous so that everyone could be happy. “An investigation like this wouldn’t get anywhere with normal means, would it? I just wish you’d all invited me along, even if I’m no good at this.”

Being left out of the loop… Perhaps it was necessary, but it didn’t sit right with her. Mercedes investigating something because she felt left out… Lucille couldn’t help but feel a nagging sense of responsibility for this. Then again, this was probably one of those feelings that lead to… that lead to the incident from yesterday. She’d just have to bite her tongue and try to rebel against her innate nature.

“I’m not annoyed or anything,” she hastily added, realizing her previous behavior might have come across as too harsh. There was something on her mind, though… Even if revealing it wasn’t very good. “If you did get a good look, though, could you tell me if you saw any medication? Miss Min told me Xylia is supposed to take it to keep her behavior in check, but…”

Lucille paused.

“Well, we all know what she’s like.”

Her eyes finally glanced at what Mercedes was holding. Baseball cards, weren’t they? It seemed… rather at odds with the star’s general image, so that’s probably why it had to be kept a secret. Even so… was there anything really wrong with that? People collected all sorts of weird things, after all, and baseball cards were rather benign, if niche. Lucille glanced at Sakura, as if by looking at her she could understand the hobbies of the person next to her.

“I didn’t know you were a fan of America’s pastime,” Lucille said. “There’s nothing wrong with liking baseball, is there?”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff & Elaine Winters & Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Actually wouldn’t it be better if I were to sit on someone’s lap? I’m probably the smallest person here so it wouldn’t be right if I got a seat to myself. So since Aleen is probably going to sit on Caleb’s lap… Mind if I borrow yours for the ride?”
    Inacio blinked at Vier's suggestion, seemingly entering a momentary state of confusion at these words. Meanwhile, Caleb was having a hard time pretending he wasn't cackling in the background, clearly enjoying the fact that his friend looked like he had been sucker-punched. Then again, there was also Aleen, who was staring bug-eyed at Vier like the girl had grown a second head. It looked like that for all her quick thinking, Aleen had been caught unawares by this turn of events.

"Well, uh... Sure? If that's fine with you, I guess that's the plan we go with, then?" Inacio spoke in response, taking a moment to get back his bearings. "Should make it a bit more manageable in the back as well. Though I warn you, the only thing lately at my lap has been a guitar... it might not be the most comfortable place to sit on."

He flashed a dry grin at Vier and made a vague gesture that seemed to say: "Let's not make this weird."

And thus did the gang pile into Elaine's car, the owner (of course) taking her place in the driver's seat. Anna was squeezed in the middle seat at the back, flanked by Inacio and Caleb on both sides - the boys serving as seats for Vier and Aleen respectively. Meanwhile Ramia, looking rather smug after she won the coin toss, lounged on the front seat, being the only person with any leg room at this point. She looked around the interior of the car, hmm-ing in a respectful way.

"Feels like it's been taken good care of," Ramia commented to Elaine. "If I had to venture a guess, it's feels like a place that's as much a home as a house. That any close? Oh, not meaning that in a bad way or anything. Just knew some guys back home who were like that, always on the road."

Meanwhile, in the back, Inacio was trying his best not to get a mouthful of Vier's hair into his mouth, glanced out of the window. He looked into the rainy sky and the town in the distance, letting out a quiet sound of contemplation.

"So? Where are we all headed?" The boy asked. "Big Boy's first?"

Caleb, who was clearly somewhat uncomfortable at this physical contact with Aleen (and the girl who was wearing quite a big blush right about now) grunted and perhaps tried to shrug... but there was no space to do so.

"Wherever we're going, let's get there fast. Every time I move, I almost elbow Anna in the ribs."

He shot a look of apology to the raven-haired girl.

Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Looks to me like the one with their head in the gutter’s you, I have only the purest intentions. A man such as I has sensitive needs and wants, and they can only be met in a workshop, filled with the finest of powertools.”
    One could practically hear the scoff behind the fashion magazine.

"Blegh. So much testosterone. I'm gonna choke soon..." Cathie muttered, clearly not impressed by Colt's explanation that dove deeper into his supposed 'reasons'.

Despite Tommy blurting out something pretty dangerous just before, Tommy couldn't help but to snort in laughter as he watched this back-and-forth between the two teens. He quickly did try to hide his grin, but couldn't quite make it. Then again, Tommy wasn't exactly wrong to be amused here. While Cathie clearly wasn't impressed with Colt and her words were sarcastic to the max... she did rise to the challenge, so to speak. For everything Colt said, she had to get the last word, like it had been some juvenile competition.

Even if it was all laced with the usual 'I don't care' attitude of your typical, modern teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “I’ll have you know the most illegal things I’ve done are driving without a license and… A bit of underage drinking. Perfectly normal stuff!”
    Once again the fashion magazine was lowered, and a dry smirk appeared on Cathie's face as she stared at Colt, raising an eyebrow like she was mocking him.

"Ooh, well look at the big city slicker," she threw back and answer. "Drove your dad's car behind his back and drank his beer? I guess that's huge wherever you're from, but out here, that's something preteens get out of their system once they grow up."

That smirk turned a degree more smug and... amused?

"I guess you never did then."

Was she... having fun?

Lucille Faraday

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “I didn’t know you were a fan of America’s pastime. There’s nothing wrong with liking baseball, is there?”
    Sakura's expression suddenly perked up at this, and an almost mischievous smirk rose to her face.

"Oh, I think that's because-"

She was immediately cut off when Mercedes shoved the cards in her pocket and clicked her tongue with such loud annoyance that it was a small miracle she didn't break that organ in question.

"Ugh, it's none of your business. Either of you. Just... like, forget about it," Mercedes forcefully ended that train of dialogue, clear in that she wasn't willing to discuss it any further. "But, fine. Though if you, like, want in you gotta play ball as well, Lucy. Like, if you think something's wrong don't be all cryptic about it and shit, just tell it to me straight. If it's mysteries or whatevah, I'd rather be helping than being left out of the loop like back at the beach..."

Something in this whole situation, or rather the word Mercedes had referred to Lucille with, seemed to make Sakura smile warmly, but she said no more. Even the loud brunette realized that approaching the actress had to be done with certain grace and pushing too many buttons at once might make the whole thing blow in her face. So, she left the teasing at that, and instead nodded and followed with the return to this topic that they had previously discussed.

"Hmm, well, it's certainly easier if we all pool our resources together," Sakura said in turn. "I don't want to suspect any of our classmates, but as long as we don't know what's really going on... letting all this information leak too far might prove unwise. After all, the situation is... frankly bizarre. A student only Lucille here, and a handful of others, can remember. Meanwhile the rest of us remember clearly that Xylia Pheme has been with us since we arrived to Road's End. No, even before that... in the bus. Most of us remember her being there."

Mercedes gave an agreeing nod - apparently the starlet was under the impression as well that Xylia Pheme had always been part of the class. In other words, Elizaveta Vyraj was not familiar to either her or Sakura.

"I think the biggest question mark here are the staff," Sakura continued. "If anyone knew about Elizaveta Vyraj, it would be them... or they would have some proof of her existence. Nevertheless, at this point there are really only two options. Either the majority of us has a wrong memory, somehow... or then handful of us has a wrong memory. Elizaveta Vyraj or Xylia Pheme... which one of them was the student that came with us to Road's End? Finding any answer to a bizarre question like that was unlikely, hence I asked Mercedes here to check Xylia's room for me. To see if there was any traces of Elizaveta Vyraj's existence there."

The starlet, after Sakura turned to look at her like she was expecting Mercedes to continue, shook her head. She walked over to one of the walls and leaned against it, folding her arms across her chest. Shadows cast by the dimly lit kitchen, and the rain pouring outside, gave Mercedes a rather serious appearance - one much fitting this situation.

"And I found, like, none. Absolute zilch. The only one who's ever been to that room is that turd," Mercedes answered, her mouth a thin line. "No sign or moved furniture or whatevah. Gawd, I even went through her closet to see if someone left, like, clothes that wouldn't fit Xylia there. So yeah, lot of good that did. Though, to answer your question..."

The starlet directed her gaze at Lucille.

"... That girl's on so much medication it ain't even funny. I think I ac-tually saw stuff they'd threat those with schizophrenia with," she continued. "If I had to venture, like, an educated guess... that little tart pops like a twelve pills or so at the start of each day."

A somewhat chilling observation.
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; April 17th, 2019 at 05:59 PM.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Date: 08.09.1994 (FRI)

Parking Lot

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

Viienne Bianchi walked around Pyry's car, seemingly not too connected with the conversation going on between her other companions. She was inspecting the car quite thoroughly, even leaning down as to have a good look at the car's rims and the machinery under.

One could perhaps wonder wherever or not Vivienne had a hidden soft spot for cars... but then if that was the case then it appears that Pyry's car didn't match Vivienne's criterias as she shook her head lightly after having inspected Pyry's car. The quiet girl lingered for a few seconds in a pensive state, finger on lips and all before turning around and walking towards Pyry, her typical empty blue eyes stared straight at his own, or well, they would be if he was looking at her as she approached.

Having walked up to Pyry, vivienne took her trusty drawing notepad and sketched to him something... interesting:

The Drawing

Oh. Has Vivienne Bianchi taken the name 'Lion Mobile' a little bit too litearally and was expecting a yellow car themed like a Lion?
    That would be a reasonable assumption seeing how her finger pointed from the drawing to Pyry's car and even though she had an empty expression, her tilted head communicated well enough her puzzlement concerning this... difference from what the name suggested and reality was.

Elaine Winters

The blonde girl fiddled with the mirror for a few moments, adjusting so as to compensate for the dearth of heads in the backseats, she shot a small glance to Ramia as she did so, finishing up her checks.

"Hm, yeah, you could say that," She seemed a bit distracted, focused on the car around them, "Never really grew up anywhere, it almost seems like my brothers and I spent most of our lives out of this old monster."

An old fondness, tinged with bits of memory unsaid.

"Spent a year here, couple months there, but it always came back to the old boy here, on the road, always off to somewhere else. Ontario, the Everglades, Mojave, hopped over to Mexico a couple of times too, Geezer had some business down there."

She turned the key in the ignition, and with a grumbling snarl the old car came to life, like the sleeping monster she so often described it as, an almost unconscious movement brought the wipers sweeping across the windshield, accompanied by bold headlights, glaring through the night.

She cast an eye to the fuel indicator, hummed in thought and then, "Yeah, sure, Big Boy's it is, nothing like a watering hole to start the evening."

And the tape rolled on.

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Hisa Momoi & Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    "Are you okay? Why are those two mocking you constantly?"
    Pyry sighed and lifted his head from the steering wheel, flashing a somewhat tired smile towards Hisa.

"Nah, don't worry about it. Those two... Caleb and Inacio, they're pretty rad dudes, all things considered," he answered. "They're just ribbing me. I mean, if you saw a female friend of yours jump into a car with nothing but guys, I bet you'd raise an eyebrow as well. I won't hold it against them... after all, I don't especially care. Friends are friends, guys or girls, even if others might find it funny."

Driving some strength back into his body, Pyry took a better position on the driver's seat and inserted his key into the ignition. Soon enough, the old car let out a loud rumble of V8 that echoed in the parking lot, as if to answer the roar of Elaine's car that was now leaving campus grounds. Pyry stared after that said car, an odd look on his face. Sure enough, he had kinda been smug about comparing the two vehicles but now... it was like he had wanted to know more about it, but was in no position to do so.

Perhaps this had something to do with the fact that he was so awkward around Ubon, and the fact that Ubon and Elaine seemed pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hisa
    "And sorry about that, I tried to prevent it... But exploring the town should still be fun for you as well, right?"
    "Yeah, it's gonna be," Pyry said, before cocking an eyebrow at the scarred girl. "Though I kinda wanna question that part about preventing it. You had that smug smile you always do when you find a new toy to play with."

Huh. Surprisingly observant of the boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "Ubon. Lend me your lap."
    As the two of them heard the back door open, they could also hear Prushka say this... followed by a yelp of some sort as Ubon jumped in, immediately pulling Prushka after her and setting the smaller girl on her lap. The cyanhead didn't need to be told twice that she'd get to share a seat with her new friend, looking all smiles and giggles at the prospect.

"Awright, Prushie! Seat-mates!" Ubon chuckled, nimbly lifting the tiny girl's helmet to play with her hair. "I'm glad I picked this car, for realsies!"

Pyry let out another sigh, this time one more amused. Had Ubon actually remembered anything Prushka had drilled into her while in the common room?

And finally, the last person in their group got into the vehicle, sitting next to Ubon and Prushka... only to shove another drawing for Pyry to see. The lanky athelete looked a bit awkward, like he didn't exactly know where to look with Vivienne for some reason, and thus he found solace in the picture on the sketchpad... only to get even more confused. He mouthed the word: "Lion...?" quietly, under his breath, until realization finally drawed upon him.

A moment of silence, and then... laughter. Laughter that sounded almost relieved, or refreshed, from a man who had some sort of anxiety finally taken off his shoulders.

"Eh, just listen to the sound of V8, Vivs," Pyry answered and wiggled his eyebrows. "You'll know why it's a Lion Mobile."

Then, to demonstrate what he meant, Pyry swiveled the clutch, pushed the pedal to the floor and let the tires screech and engine roar in a display of just what sort of beast they had gotten onto - before the car jumped forward and sped out of the parking lot, into the rainy streets of Road's End and towards the town itself.

As the two of them passed by the gates of the campus area, Pyry fumbled a bit on the glove box (apologizing to Hisa for reaching to her space) and pulled out a cassette tape, which he then nimbly pushed into the car's stereo. Soon enough, a bouncy bass guitar filled the car, like the sped-up rhythm of a heart and was followed up by a raunchy riff of a guitar. A song that sounded oddly foreign in it's tone started up, and just like before when Prushka had been in this same car...

... Pyry couldn't help but to start singing along.

"Ilta on tummuva. Merkit on taivaalla. Täysikuu tähyää. On hyvä ilta, on hyvä sää," the boy sung. "Ja murhaaja on kuin. Siperialainen painija. Kolmatta metriä. Toistasataa kiloa. Ja hän valmistautuu huolella! Ja yö on hänen puolellaan! Ja puolellaan on neitoset! Hurmaavimmillaan saavat mestarin mihin vaan!"

Something in these foreign words made Pyry sound amused, almost like there had been some sort of joke only he got, or if the situation had been ironic enough to fit the lyrics.

"Ne naisensa on naiset. Tuossa kylpyammeessa. Jossa keskellä mestari istuu. Havanna-sikaria tuprauttaa!" Pyry continued. "Ja puhaltaa pasuunaa! Neitokaiset aploodeeraa! Ja laulaa!"

In the small respite, Pyry turned to look at the others and revved up the engine.

"Oh, yeah, we going to Big Boy's as well?"

And then was yanked back by the chorus, almost immediately.

"Laa lala lala laa lala laa! Murhaaja soittaa pasuunaa! Laa lala lala laa lala laa! Hetken ja neidot uinahtaa!"

It was a simple enough chorus that almost immediately, Ubon joined in the hollering, though whenever there were actual words, she just spoke absolute nonsense... all the while seeing if she could put Prushka's hair on pig-tails.

"Nukkukaa pienokaiset nukkukaa! Mestari teidät kerätä saa! Laa lala lala laa lala laa! Murhaaja pasuunaa puhaltaa! Hikisessä huoneessa sävelet saa taivaalta!"

... It was going to be one of those trips, huh?
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; April 17th, 2019 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Though Lucille certainly liked the sound of Mercedes’s words, she wasn’t sure about them nonetheless. How honest was honest? How much was simply too much? Trust was… trust was sorely lacking here, even in this room. Maybe if she was to take the first step…

Then again, there was no risk without reward. It was time for her to toe the line, and then to see what would happen. Especially with the mention of what had occurred in Xylia’s room. Only Xylia was there, and the sheer amount of…

“Is that safe for human consumption?” Schizophrenia medication made sense, especially after Miss Min mentioned that the causes of Xylia’s problems were her unfaltering paranoia over others. But for a number like twelve pills… Wouldn’t a cocktail of drugs like that be inhospitable for someone? She wasn’t sure herself, but there was always the warning to be careful of taking medication with other medication. Twelve was just…

Well, this would lead into the other issue. Better to be clear about it.

“Anyway, I’m not… I’m not too confident in talking to the staff.” Lucille voiced her honest opinion. While in that room, she was fairly certain of Sae Min’s desire to help, there were other factors she couldn’t ignore. And certain things she had to be paranoid about, herself. “It is true that the faculty does have information on every student here, though. Miss Min had my files in hand when I visited her yesterday. I don’t know about breaking into that mess of a room, however, since I think Miss Min is meticulous enough to notice when her chaos is in disarray.”

“But, something that struck me as odd was…” Her voice trailed off, but Lucille couldn’t fathom why. It was fine, wasn’t it? Neither Sakura nor Mercedes cared about her being perfect. It was alright to admit she messed up. Here, this school, she didn’t need to maintain that image, though she certainly wanted to. This place was a new beginning.

Rebirth. A cleansing of the slate.

“I’ll volunteer with the truth as an act of good faith.”

Hesitantly, Lucille dug into her bag and pulled out two pill bottles, before gently placing them on the kitchen table.

“You get into one fight with Xylia Pheme in a moment of weakness, and then you’re being pressured into taking medication with only the school’s guarantee that it may help you and your issues.” A long sigh escaped her lips, as if a burden off her chest was lifted. Still, Lucille gave Mercedes and Sakura a look, her eyes pleading for this not to get out.

“I’m not against the concept nor am I one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I can’t fathom why school faculty would be so adamant to assign medication to a teenager without consulting their guardians or physician. Even if this school is strange and has all sorts of exceptions, it just… I managed to weasel out of it by saying I’d self-medicate, but even now I have no idea if trusting the faculty is the right choice. This school just has so many things that don’t add up and they spring this on me…”

What made it terrible was that this entire situation made her feel rattled. Accepting there was something wrong with her—difficult, but she knew it. It wasn’t something she wanted to fix, no, to her, it was a virtue, but she couldn’t deny the concern people had for her as she stubbornly clung to her ideals. And that felt awful. Seeing people concerned for her made her uncomfortable, and being unable to address the cause of their concern out of mistrust felt like some sort of betrayal on her part. She was the one doing all of the wrong things by lying and lying and lying…

Lucille forcibly seated herself in a chair. Her legs didn’t feel like working after that.

One final question.

“…Am I being paranoid?”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    [BGM]

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille
    “…Am I being paranoid?”
    "Hell no."

Mercedes's eyes had turned to pure steel when Lucille had put the bottles on top of the table, the pills shining their light blue gleam even in the dimly lit room that was the kitchen. She immediately walked over to where the blonde student was sitting and peered down at those said bottles... but also, almost like she didn't realize she did it, put a reassuring hand on her friend's shoulder. Showing her more humane side, what little there was, through actions rather than words... it was just the way Mercedes West was. But that didn't make it any less surprising when it happened.

Still, for now, the actress stared at the bottles like Lucille had revealed them to be hard drugs.

"Like, I saw a bottle exactly like this in Xylia's room. Exact same medication as well," Mercedes continued, not touching the bottles but inspecting them from every angle. "The mood medication, the medication for schizophrenia, the painkillers... and then these. Like, what the hell's this stuff even supposed to be?"

Finally taking hold of the bottle, Mercedes pulled out one of the capsules and investigated it, her eyes narrowed and suspicious. Sakura walked over to the table to take a look at the medication herself. For some reason the brunette was looking extremely serious, even a little angry, as she looked at the capsules - like the thought of someone pushing them onto a student like Lucille had rubbed her the wrong way.

"... I'd venture a guess they're something made by the staff's experts. They have a connection to the hospital, after all," Sakura spoke quietly, examining the medication now as well. "I'd rather not jump to conclusions and say they're using something experimental that hasn't been tested on people before, but... well, in worst case scenario that'd make some horrible sense."

That got Mercedes's attention, as she raised an eyebrow at Sakura.

"Gawd. You think they're testing medicine in secret with us? Like, human guinea pigs or whatevah?" The starlet actress.

Sakura nodded sternly... only to look surprised when Mercedes shook her head after thinking about it for a while.

"Now, I might be totally wrong and stuff, but..." the actress started. "I like to think I'm, like, pretty good at reading people. Comes with working in Hollywood. And doing that sorta shit would require some cold bastards. And as much as I think the faculty is suspicious... they all feel like they're actually working here because they, like, want us to get better."

A pause, and then:

"Well, except for that Costa-woman. Something in her feels, like, openly hostile at times. Just something in her eyes," Mercedes elaborated. "Pretty much like how that guy, Redd Lewis, looks scared now and again."

Hearing this, Sakura bit her lip.

"... Now I kind of wanna see what's up in that hospital," she muttered quietly. "Mr. Oceandrop seems like a good man but this all... it's suspicious. Way too suspicious."

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Gagnon
    "You got brown hair, you're small... and you squeak a lot. Plus I saw you stuffing your face back in the bus with the food of that spaz of a brunette. So yeah, Chipmunk you are."
    Small!? I'm well within the range for being average height! You're the one who's too tall!

Wait! Don't let Travis' insults distract you! He was looking back at us on the bus, which means...

"Say, you wouldn't happen to remember who was sitting in the seat in front of Sakura on the bus, would you?" asked Elise.

"A person. A woman, to be exact. Tall as a moose and looks like someone just rammed a steel rod straight up her anus... and that she enjoyed the experience. Should stand out from locals pretty well. Might not find her today, but you never know. She should be in this town, somewhere."
    Elise considered Travis' description of their quarry for the evening.

A tall woman with... good posture? Or maybe self-righteous? Either way, not who I would've expected Travis to be looking for on a rainy evening.

"And... what happens if we find her?" asked Elise.

"Also, be on a lookout of this dusky-skinned guy, like coffee or something. Bad hombre and we might wanna run if he decides to follow us. He gets his kicks out of, well, literally kicks and always tends to fuck things up whenever I get too close. He's like the physical incarnation of a restraining order or something, I swear..."
    A tall woman with good posture with a mysterious bodyguard? Really not what I was expecting at all.

"Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye open for that guy too."

He really just invited me along so he'd have someone who might run slower than he does, didn't he?

"Wait. Is there a literal restraining order between you and this woman?"

Be really weird if there was a restraining order... why would she go to Road's End if Travis got shipped out here? Unless, of course, the restraining order was to protect Travis from her...

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Hm, hm hm hmmmmm. Hm hm hmmmm."

It's no good.

"Hm."

I'm trying to sing along, to get into the spirit of things like last time, but...

There's no way. I thought I'd feel better after leaving that message, but for some reason the opposite has happened.

Pyry's having fun singing this old song. Ubon's having fun ruining my hair. I'm sure Hisa is having fun too, as always. As for the girl who draws, Vivienne... I don't know if she's having fun. But she's probably not feeling absolutely miserable like I am.

How come? Why does it feel like there's a hole in the pit of my stomach, through which all of the energy from before just got flushed away?

The answer is obvious: it's because I haven't done anything. I've just had fun without thinking of anyone else, all day. All while Elizaveta is out there, gone from the world. All while the real reason I'm here comes not an inch closer. All while... did I even see Subaru today? We're friends, but I didn't even think to invite her along. Is she going to be spending the night alone during a rain storm?

Ugh. It hurts to think about. And the more I think about it, the more it hurts, but if I try to ignore it, it also hurts. The end result feels dangerously like a developing headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyry
    "Sure. The more the merrier, right?"

It's a half-thought out response. I hope it'll be merrier. This whole car is filled with cheer, but I'm diluting it with misery. Perhaps, in a group, I'll be able to go along with the flow and have fun properly. Meeting new people, who might not be awful, that should be enjoyable, right? I'll be able to try some food I've never had before, see new things, and a bunch of other stuff I've been looking forward to all this time.

But... even though it should make me happy, I don't think it will. Even now, as I'm sitting on the lap of the most cheerful person I've seen here, nothing's happening. Those people who say happiness is infectious are liars.

Maybe... maybe once we get there, it'll be fun. For everyone. Because they're just high-schoolers. Well, except Hisa, but she's got the right mentality. I'm different. I can't be awful like humans, nor should I want to be. So why am I acting like one? What's next, saying everything's okay when it isn't, just for the sake of preserving a positive atmosphere? No, that's the worst possible conclusion. It leads to a world where hiding one's problems and faking happiness is the norm. This place will not make me into a liar.

I glance outside, more to look away from everyone else than from interest. The water droplet patterns on the window are almost hypnotizing. Almost. I can't escape the sight of my own pout reflected in the mirror.

Alright. I'll gather up my thoughts and decide what to say when we've stopped. There's no sense in moping. Establish clear objectives and steps to accomplish them, then take those steps one at a time. That's the only proper way out of this funk.

Until then...

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Phase: Road’s End - Elaine’s Car
    Date: 09.09.1994

Ah, I see. This must be how hell looks.

Crammed to the brim with people and as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

As she had lost the coin-toss to Ramia (who absolutely made sure to rub it in), Anna had been sentenced to, what was, most likely, the worst seat in the bloody car. Honestly, she might have even preferred sitting on Ramia’s lap to… whatever this abomination of a seating arrangement was. Obviously, not coming at all would have been the best outcome, but that option had been robbed from Anna by the smug white-haired girl in the passenger’s seat.

"Wherever we're going, let's get there fast. Every time I move, I almost elbow Anna in the ribs."
    “As long it stays at “almost”, it's fine.” Anna let out a small sigh. “Though let's just keep movement to a minimum, shall we? I’d rather not have bruised ribs because your attention happened to… wander, Highlander."
    Last edited by Mellon; April 18th, 2019 at 03:41 AM.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Hisa Momoi

"Yeah, it's gonna be. Though I kinda wanna question that part about preventing it. You had that smug smile you always do when you find a new toy to play with."
    “Hey, even though I’m curious about what is going on with the two of you, I still tried to respect the fact that you seemed to be uncomfortable with it!”

Not to mention that it would have been less tiresome for me as well. Though, maybe even she has some redeeming qualities to her to compensate for her otherwise hyperactive personality---

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon
    "Awright, Prushie! Seat-mates! I'm glad I picked this car, for realsies!"
    ---Maybe? I wonder.

But as we set out, my worries were cast away, even if just for a moment - the soothing sound of the rain tapping on the windows combined with the noise engine and the upbeat foreign tune had sort of a mesmerizing effect.

Right, where exactly are we going?

“I’m fine with that as well, though...I feel like we should try to be a bit productive as well rather than just having fun...Not to mention that going to the bar would be the most interesting during the late night hours…”

Progress should be made, but there are way too many vague clues leading to nowhere in particular, so just where exactly would it be worth looking…

“Say, we could visit the hotel, there should be quite a few interesting fellow cramped in there with the rain going on…”

Staring outside through the windshield that was already slightly fogged up by the cold autumn rain, it was quite obvious why most people would rather stay indoors, and to be fair...It didn’t seem like it would end anytime soon…

And while I did not mind the rain, there was just something wrong about it, as it if was foreboding something...Something that would happen very soon now.

“But I would be interested in exploring the more...abandoned segments of the town as well...Like the saw mill, that weird statue in the middle of nowhere, or something like that…”

A weather such as this would be a good opportunity to lurk around for those who don’t exactly want to be seen, after all…

“I’m just getting this mysterious, dark vibe from them, you know. There is a lot going around in this town, and I feel like this would be a good time to check out some place like that. Granted, you guys might not like the rain much as I do.”

Last edited by Cheetose; April 18th, 2019 at 08:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Say, you wouldn't happen to remember who was sitting in the seat in front of Sakura on the bus, would you?"
    Travis raised an eyebrow at this question, but then simply shrugged.

"Eh... wasn't it that dwarf-sized egomaniac, Xylia Pheme? The one that looks like she'd double-over with one punch?" Travis answered, clearly somewhat confused by this question. "The one that was super tryhard during the introductions. 'Little shit' as Mercedes West commented, or something."

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye open for that guy too. Wait. Is there a literal restraining order between you and this woman?"
    That earned a rather bestial grin from Travis once again, the boy leaning closer to Elise so that his piercing eyes were staring right down at hers. This close, the smell of cigarettes and something sharp, almost like a chemical, was easy enough to smell.

"... And what if there is? Are you expecting me to suddenly remember something and go: 'Oh, right, hello. My name is Travis Gagnon, and I'm a registered sex-offender'?" The boy asked smugly... and the burst into a mocking cackle. "Oh goddammit, that's rich! I wouldn't even fondle that bitch's tits even if they paid me! So yeah, don't worry about that. Ain't nothing actual things like that between us. What I meant was that the guy I mentioned... he always shows up at the worst time."

Leaning back, Travis' adapted a more serious expression, staring intently at the town they were getting now close to. These moodswings between mocking sneers and a more subdued, even determined, bouts were strange... just as much that Travis was being serious about something in the first place. Perhaps it was the fact that there were not that many people around at the moment.

"But if we find her... yeah. The bitch and I are gonna have some words," the boy said. "Nothing criminal, so don't get your panties twisted. It won't tarnish your record as a good little student that always does what they're told..."

A somewhat smug look was shot sideways towards Elise.

"... Though, then again, you're the one who wants to break into the closed-off sections of the school. Guess you're not that worried about your reputation."

It was at that moment that two cars, one slightly ahead of the other, zoomed past Travis and Elise, throwing up water in big arcs from the puddles on the sides of the road. Easily enough Travis lifted the side of his large, heavy-duty military jacket, protecting both himself and the girl from the spread of muddy water. The boy's bestial eyes stared at the people in the cars... and suddenly, a laugh echoed from Travis' throat.

Like he had just seen something annoying and fun at the same time.

"Well! Look at that. I think that's half of our class, stuffed in two cars, heading to have some good time wherever," Travis commented, looking at Elise with a mocking smile. "Guess you picked the wrong option. Could've been out there having fun with people like you, and instead you're here, stuck with an asshole like me. Alone. Just the two of us."

He wiggled his eyebrows in a suggestive way.

"Just think of the slanderous rumours!"

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Nodding along at Souma's words, I examine him, a small smile growing on my face as I tap the side of my lips. It's obvious that there really is no other place then Pinefall High for the likes of Souma and myself to meet, on an equal, balanced ground where we can all speak with impunity.

"Oh, I suppose you would have to discover an edge, wouldn't you?" I say, stretching my back as I speak, feeling my joints reset themselves as the words leave my lips, "There's not much of a chance for a person like you to save yourself from someone like me without a bit of an advantage."

Glancing around Souma's room, I once more see a dangerous similarity between myself and another person at this school. Why is it that no matter where I go, I seem to attract and be attracted to dangerous things? Perhaps that old saying applies, one that I was kindly admonished with by my headmaster so long ago.

If you are so constantly surrounded by danger, there's only one common factor in it.

"Everyone's inherently selfish, Nubutama," I admonish lightly, waving a finger in front of my face. "The reason you came to this academy versus the reason I did, the reason that you served me that meat and the reason I befriended Cesarina, why, even the reason you invited me into your room with nary an ill intent, and the reason I would do the same to you. Selfishness is a human character trait, and to be selfless is to deny one's own nature. Even if unkind people wish to be kind, it's logically hard to change such a core factor of your being."

I want to be human.

It's a lie I know can never come true. Something Mercedes told me was a reminder, and meeting Souma is yet another one. What I want is natural. What I'm doing is unnatural.

I want to be kind.

It's yet another falsehood in an endless series of falsehoods. Even my own trusted teacher, as gentle as he is, knows that what I wish is an absolute impossibility. My nature is inherently evil. My existence is inherently cruel. To continue to walk as if I am anything but is a mockery to all those who suffered for my own success.

But even if it's difficult...

Even if it's absolutely impossible...

I know what I so, so, quietly desire. I know it in my heart of hearts, even as mine own is so quiet that my ears can't quite hear it. Just because it's impossible, so what? I've done impossible things my entire life. That's who I am, simply as a person, as an existence --

Someone who wants to be kind.

Someone who wants to be human.

Someone who wants to be a friend.

I want it.

It's not something I can ever deny, so why bother? Isn't it better to not hide behind a sea of shades, and to have it all out in the open? While Mercedes West knows my true nature, as deeply as I've tried to hide it, similarly so Souma Nubutama knows a part of me that very few here could ever know.

"A dull moment, hmm... I can't say I've ever experienced such an occurrence, you know? My life is my life, so I suppose it's only right that at some point I reveal it to others. So don't worry, alright? I'll be an excellent introduction to supernatural occurrences and events! Of course, distinguishing them from the ordinary-everyday is rather hard, but there's always a trick."
    Last edited by Frantic Author; April 18th, 2019 at 03:33 PM.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "A dull moment, hmm... I can't say I've ever experienced such an occurrence, you know? My life is my life, so I suppose it's only right that at some point I reveal it to others. So don't worry, alright? I'll be an excellent introduction to supernatural occurrences and events! Of course, distinguishing them from the ordinary-everyday is rather hard, but there's always a trick."
    Souma chuckled quietly, covering his mouth with his gloved hand in a very good showcase of manners and etiquette. Alexstrasza's words had apparently found a way to amuse him. Perhaps it was the somewhat scattered way she spoke, or perhaps it was the frank way she approached this... odd topic of conversation. Well, whatever it was, Souma looked liked he found it refreshing, as that viper-like posture of his relaxed ever so slightly.

... Though, considering what the blonde student had just revealed to him, the fact that he could be relaxed was worrying in itself.
    "Well, excellent or not, I expect it to get rather interesting. In fact, a faulty object may often be more interesting than a perfectly working one... and, pardon me saying, you appear to be faulty in... various aspects. No offense meant, of course," Souma answered. "And what comes to distinguishing something supernatural from something mundane..."

A ghost of a smile played on Souma's lips as his eye narrowed ever so slightly.

"... If what you call 'supernatural' is the mundane in the first place, is there really any need to distinguish them?" he asked. "Wouldn't that just be needless effort put into something that, at the end of the day, is a rather meaningless distinction?"

Without waiting for an answer to his words, Souma did a graceful shrug, implying that his words were not meant to be taken seriously. It was hard to judge just how well-versed he was when it came to the Turnside, and the boy clearly was not going to reveal the cards he had, but at the same time a mystery like this was, perhaps, not the most unpleasant thing. If anything, Souma's expression (what little could be read from it) said that the boy was holding up this illusion of mystery to amuse Alexstrasza herself.

A bit of a reflection of how the girl appeared to him, most likely.

"But, ah, I suppose we could keep talking this and that and eventually I could ask what became of your lamb, Alexstrasza... but that sort of mental game of chess is best served when we have started to view each other as possible enemies. Which might happen, which might not happen," Souma continued and then gestured towards the door with his hand. "So, perhaps we should do something else?"

His smile deepened.

"Go out for a... walk, perhaps?"

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Date: 08.09.1994 (FRI)

Parking Lot

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

Vivienne had quietly observed as Ubon and Pyry sang along in a language that was rather foreign to her. Typically, she had no emotions drawn on her visage, so there was no way to tell what exactly was going on through the girl's head as she watched this lively sing-along adventure unravel.

Eventually, Vivienne seemed to notice Prushka being rather quiet as the small girl peered through the glass and admired the raining scenery outside. Thinking perhaps that Ubon was too engrossed in the atmosphere to notice it, Vivienne gave a light tug on the blue haired girl arm as to get her attention and pointed at Prushka. Though her expression was blank, Ubon could perhaps imagine the words 'you should do something about that' coming out of Vivienne's mute mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by "Hisa=
    “Say, we could visit the hotel, there should be quite a few interesting fellow cramped in there with the rain going on…”

“But I would be interested in exploring the more...abandoned segments of the town as well...Like the saw mill, that weird statue in the middle of nowhere, or something like that…”

“I’m just getting this mysterious, dark vibe from them, you know. There is a lot going around in this town, and I feel like this would be a good time to check out some place like that. Granted, you guys might not like the rain much as I do.”
    As Hisa talked about mysteries and visiting the more secluded parts of the town, Vivienne quietly listened to the girl's statements, statements that could give a sense of deja vu, seeing how they were similar to when Hisa talked about the mysterious nature of Road's End at the beach.

Following Hisa's suggestion of potential places to visit, Vivienne carefully leaned forwards as to not impose her weight on the back of Pyry's seat, and, having popped her head next to the driver, Vivienne gave Pyry a quiet but firm nod; an obvious sign that she was in agreement with Hisa's ideas.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; April 18th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Inacio
    "Well, uh... Sure? If that's fine with you, I guess that's the plan we go with, then? Should make it a bit more manageable in the back as well. Though I warn you, the only thing lately at my lap has been a guitar... it might not be the most comfortable place to sit on."
    While I was expecting him to be surprised a little bit about my suggestion, there was something about that brief moment of surprise and confusion that made it more amusing than it should. That moment also confirmed something that I suspected last time, Inacio even with all of Latin charm… couldn’t respond to counterattacks.

“That’s fine. As long as Elaine doesn’t hit the potholes hard, I’m sure it’ll beat the bus ride here or a turbulent plane.”

And I noticed Inacio’s gesture to keep it normal so I decided against saying something a bit more. With that said, everyone got into Elaine’s car as if it was some sort of clown car. And to be honest, it might have been better if I did sit in the trunk.

Aleen looked like she blushing like mad and regretting her decision to ride into town. Caleb looked uncomfortable as the slightest of movements almost caused him to elbow Anna… again. I can only imagine its a matter of time when we hit a pothole and he does it. Inacio was getting a faceful of my hair and… making sure he didn’t touch anywhere extra. Anna probably had it the worst seeing as how she has the smallest seat and almost elbowed by Caleb and Inacio whenever they moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Inacio
    "So? Where are we all headed? Big Boy's first?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Elaine Winters
    "Yeah, sure, Big Boy's it is, nothing like a watering hole to start the evening."
    Big Boy’s was it… I heard it was the location of the informal town bar. I have been meaning to visit it seeing as how I could talk to more of the local town folks. Adding onto the fact that they’re most likely inebriated, it would be easier to talk about them and for them to forget about me. That’s, of course, assuming they wouldn’t be wary of outsiders approaching the bar.

“I’ve been meaning to visit there sometime too. So I’m fine with going there first.”

With that said, I turned my attention to my “seat.”

“Hey, Inacio are you alright? If you want, I could try moving my hair forward a little bit?”

Blog Entries
    Prushka & Hisa Momoi & Vivienne Bianchi

"Gah!"

The sudden appearance of Vivienne's head right next to Pyry's own caught the boy unawares and he jumped a little, the car doing a slight swerve on the wet road. Then, blushing slightly at the sudden closeness of the girl, Pyry cleared his throat and directed his attention to the rest of the passengers, pretty much trying to ignore that somebody had invaded his personal space so suddenly without him noticing.

"S-so... the more mysterious places of Road's End, huh?" Pyry asked. "Hrm, well... I think we could get pretty close to the saw mill with the car, and then walk the rest of the way. So, if nobody has anything against it... let's head there?"

He left the question hanging in the air, waiting for a confirmation from the rest of the group. After all, his own initial idea had been just to drive around and see the sights, so having a concrete destination was something he wanted to make sure everyone agreed with. Indeed, just like many times before, Pyry Leijonamieli defaulted to what everyone else wanted, not what he wanted... though in this case, his 'want' was more of a vague thing and having others decide for him was more productive.

"Mm-hm! That's fine with me!" Ubon declared, smiling at the boy. "I don't mind the rain one bit. I mean, it's nothing compared to some storms back home, y'know?"

Having said her piece, Ubon suddenly turned her attention to the girl that was sitting on her lap. Most likely Vivienne didn't even need to remind the cyanhead, as once Prushka had started to descend deeper into her own thoughts, accompanied by forlorn stares through the car's window into the rainy scenery outside, Ubon had stopped singing so loudly and instead directed an odd stare to the small girl.

And now, that stare was turned into Ubon's typical method of connecting with someone - physical connection, to be precise.

Indeed, the cyanhead rested her chin atop Prushka's head, careful not to put too much weight on her. At the same time, she put her arms around the girl. Not exactly a hug, but more as if to put some warmth into the tiny girl upon her lap. After all, even with the car rumbling around them, it was somewhat chilly out here in the rain.

"Um, Prushie? You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Just me talking whatevers," Ubon spoke quietly, so that at least Pyry couldn't seem to hear it. "You look like the type that thinks alot, and thinking alot often gets you worried alots. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, or anythings, but there's a thing I think is good to keep in mind."

It was odd to hear Ubon be this quiet or even somewhat serious.

"There's lots of different things to worry about, but not everything is stuff we can do something about. We might be able to do something later, but when we can't, worrying about that stuff just gets you depsies big time," Ubon continued. "In other words, we need focus. Focus is good. Worry 'bout what you can do something about right now, leave rest of it for later, y'know? Don't hog it all to yourself, but work at it systematically. That way you can worry, you can think, and most important of all, you can have fun, too. It's not wrong to have fun or enjoy things even if you worry. Because if all you do is worry, that's really no good. Then you can't help anyone."

Having said that, Ubon stuck her tongue out like she was embarrassed, and giggled awkwardly.

"Though I guess I ain't the one to speak. I mean, I'm not the type to think that much, for realsies," she chuckled.

Apparently completely unawares of something like this going on in the backseat (mostly thanks to the music), Pyry suddenly let out a somewhat surprised sound as he looked out of the window. They had just passed two figures walking on the side of the road. The lanky athlete's eyebrows had shot towards his hairline, and he glanced at Vivienne and Hisa, confused.

"Wait, you two see that?" he asked. "Was that... was that Elise and Travis? Walking together?"

The reason for his surprise was rather clear.

"... When did the two of them start hanging out?"

Vier Wolff & Elaine Winters & Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “As long it stays at “almost”, it's fine. Though let's just keep movement to a minimum, shall we? I’d rather not have bruised ribs because your attention happened to… wander, Highlander."
    Caleb snorted and shot Anna a dirty look... though it's seriousness was marred by the fact that he was wearing something of a stoic smirk. Unlike Ramia, he didn't seem to mind the nickname-game, even finding some humour in it.

"I resent that," the boy shot back. "Besides, I'm not the one with bony elbows."

Hearing that Aleen, still sitting on the painter's lap, snorted in laughter. She looked over to the side where Anna was sitting, and grinned at the raven-haired girl. Still... that grin didn't exactly rise all the way up to her eyes. And the look in the blue-haired girl's eyes... there was something challenging in them. Almost like she didn't know how to feel about the natural snarky back-and-forth between Caleb and Anna, even though she found it humorous.

"Don't be too harsh on him," Aleen said and a momentary face of smug appeared on her face. "I mean, some things are totes more distractive than others. They can make you forget... other things even exist."

The implication was veiled but clear at the same time.

... Though when it came to Caleb, the masquerade had apparently worked, as the artist looked at Anna with clear confusion, trying to wordlessly ask what Aleen meant with her words. Perhaps some people (as had been proven back at the beach) weren't as socially eloquent as others were. Caleb Montjoy was one of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Hey, Inacio are you alright? If you want, I could try moving my hair forward a little bit?”
    "Yes, erm, that'd help a bit indeed," Inacio answered, trying to swivel his head so he didn't end up eating said hair while he talked. "As luscious as your hair is, it's a bit of a hindrance here. I'm willing to be that I could identify your brand of shampoo with just smell alone at this point."

He chuckled a bit at his own joke and shifted on the car seat, trying to find a better way to sit. Inacio was clearly trying to offer Vier as much space on his legs as possible, making sure the girl didn't have to sit in his actual lap and lean her back against his chest... though then again, that might have been for the sake of his own sanity as well. Even though he hid it well, the musician was showing the faintest blush as he did his best to find the scenery outside interesting.

And he had absolutely no idea where to put his hands with Vier being where he was, so he simple held them aligned with his body in the most awkward way possible.

"Huh. Look at that Winters," Ramia suddenly commented, pointing towards the side of the road. "Those faces look familiar to you?"

As the car passed by a duo of teenagers walking by the side of the road (the taller one shielding himself, and by extension the smaller one, from whater with his jacket), the passengers could indeed recognize two members of their class. One Elise Pelltier and one Travis Gagnon, the latter one smoking a cigarette and talking something with an odd expression on his face.

Seeing this strange sight pass them by, a mischievous grin rose to Ramia's face.

"... Huh. Now there's a pair that I never expected to see," the dusky-skinned girl commented. "The most mundane student in our class and the resident criminal. Wonder what they're doing..."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Phase: Evening
    Date: 09.09.1994

"Besides, I'm not the one with bony elbows."
    A dry smirk flickered momentarily on Anna’s face. Unlike Ramia, who seemed to be more of a sourpuss on these matters (perhaps Anna’s teasing hit a bit closer to home for her?), Caleb seemed to take these things more in stride. She actually would have expected him to be more touchy about a nickname associated with that accent of his, but…

Well, perhaps it's not as touchy a subject as it initially appeared.

“Yeah, your only problem is that your arms are like wet noodles.”

"I mean, some things are totes more distractive than others. They can make you forget... other things even exist."
    “...mh?”

Anna’s attention was pulled away from Caleb and towards the blue-haired girl sitting on his lap. Anna almost let out a groan at her words. Pulled into teenage romance drama due to some insecure girl and her crushing. Great. Aleen clearly either saw her as some sort of rival or some other nonsense like that, which would also explain the slight smug undercurrent in her tone.

“.... Yeah, yeah.” Anna rolled her eyes in exasperation. “Knock yourself out, I don’t particularly care either way.”

Though…. Aleen’s problem was that Caleb was far too thick to understand these things. Really, he might not even be aware of the implications of a girl sitting on his lap, unless he was explicitly led to and made aware of that conclusion. Which meant that even her no so subtle hints would fly over the head of the British artist.

Well, I suppose I might as well give a hand.

“But really, Highlander…” Anna’s eyes moved from Caleb to Aleen, resting there for a moment, before returning back to the painter. “You are exceptionally bad at taking advice, aren’t you?”

“Or is it just mine that you are choosing to ignore?” A note of wry humor entered Anna’s voice. "Though I suppose this is less about misplaced words and more about being generally oblivious."

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

"Gawd. You think they're testing medicine in secret with us? Like, human guinea pigs or whatevah?"

Adelaide stopped.

She'd come, looking for Pyry - she'd wanted a ride into town - but she hadn't found him anywhere. She'd heard voices, and the word 'Xylia' when she'd looked around the common room, and had gone over to investigate.

Now, she didn't want to turn away.

Stepping behind a corner, Adelaide quietly listened in. She didn't want to interrupt their conversation, that was all. She definitely wasn't recalling the self-embarrassment of interrupting Lucille's conversation at the beach, for sure. In fact, it could be definitively said that the memory had no bearing on what she was doing right now.

Not even one little bit.

"Now, I might be totally wrong and stuff, but... I like to think I'm, like, pretty good at reading people. Comes with working in Hollywood. And doing that sorta shit would require some cold bastards. And as much as I think the faculty is suspicious... they all feel like they're actually working here because they, like, want us to get better."

There was a pause. She couldn't see the faces of the people inside, but Adelaide didn't think they looked happy.

"Well, except for that Costa-woman. Something in her feels, like, openly hostile at times. Just something in her eyes. Pretty much like how that guy, Redd Lewis, looks scared now and again."

"... Now I kind of wanna see what's up in that hospital. Mr. Oceandrop seems like a good man but this all... it's suspicious. Way too suspicious."

Adelaide frowned, looking off into the distance.

Hospital, she mouthed to herself.

What did they mean by that?

She wasn't the world's biggest fan of Pinefall High, but she'd given it some level of trust. Now, thinking about the recent murder, the conversation she was overhearing, what Ramia and Redd Lewis had alluded to...

She'd wanted to focus on her own tasks, which had nothing to do with hospitals or murders or anything else, but if the school itself, if the place she was living was compromised, well...

Adelaide let out a quiet breath, shoving the memory of that embarrassing night on the beach out of her head.

She reached out and rapped her knuckles on the kitchen's door frame, her head peeking out a moment later.

"Hello?"
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

I thought I'd be able to figure things out after the car stopped. With enough navel-gazing and idea-churning, I'd be able to align this mess of feelings and thoughts into something resembling order.

Maybe that's why. I was distracted, so when Ubon decided to speak up, it caught me completely off-guard.

At first, I tense up, as this girl I've known for all of ten minutes wraps her arms around me and rests her chin on my head. My body was expecting another accidental bear hug, but instead, I'm offered what feels like a temporary shelter from the cold, and from the uncontrollable thoughts in my own head.

"It's not wrong to have fun or enjoy things even if you worry. Because if all you do is worry, that's really no good. Then you can't help anyone."
    It's different. It's different, but it's almost the same, a feeling I can almost but not quite name.

"How...?"

"Though I guess I ain't the one to speak. I mean, I'm not the type to think that much, for realsies."
    I tilt my head up, looking at those wide, innocent eyes.

"You should think more, Ubon. You're... pretty good at it."

I take a deep breath and slowly, slowly let it out. As I exhale, my worries, cracked into pieces by Ubon's words, scatter like space dust.

How did she know? There are a million possible explanations. Perhaps, in the end, I was just that transparent and easy to read. Whatever the case, I'm happy she did understand, better even than I myself did. Perhaps I was too harsh on this strange girl. Even if she has flaws, like all the other humans, her heart is in the right place.

Her... heart...

I lean back against my human seat rest and allow a small smile. So that was it, that nostalgic emotion: the feeling of someone acting like a responsible big sister.

"In that case, I'll take a page from your book and do as I like!"

"... When did the two of them start hanging out?"
    "Who and who?" Right. I still don't know most of the people here. "Pyry, gossiping is no good. If you're curious, the best thing is to stop and ask them!"

Now that I've gotten my groove back, the rest of the car returns to focus. I lean forward and rest my hands on the seat in front of me, squinting out past the sheen of rain covering the windshield.

"And since you're being all soft and mushy and letting other people decide where to go... it's gotta be the library! There's nothing wrong with getting a little wet going to the saw mill, but if we get soaked and catch cold, what'll we do for the rest of the weekend? Plus if we're investigating all the mysterious bits of Road's End, we have to get the local history and legends first. You can find nearly anything in a library with the power of Dewey Decimal! Then, once we've got it all figured out, we can waltz into the spooky place and know whether it's haunted because someone died there after foul play, or if it's because it was an ancient Indian burial ground that got built over."

Yep, yep. That's how it is in the books.

"Also! I've got a feeling that I'll be able to find out something about Elizaveta Vyraj there. The girl that half of us know and half of us don't... that's another mystery, too-!"

As if protesting how quickly I went from moping to excited, I'm suddenly overcome by dizziness, and fall backwards.

"Awa..."

At least there are two cushions here...
    Last edited by Bloble; April 19th, 2019 at 01:14 PM.