Page 33 of 244 FirstFirst ... 23283132333435384383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 08.09.1994 (THU)
    Weather: Overcast

“In the name of the Lord,” Lucille said, glaring daggers at the teen she’d caught in one of the worst positions she had seen in a while. “Just what were you trying to do?”

She had the good faith to believe in Colt… but perhaps Xylia was actually right in one regard. Still, perhaps this was just a mistake made in haste after listening to that girl. Then again, that didn’t change how bad the current scene was. No, this was something worth immediate correction. Extremely so.

“Colt, I’m willing to go help most people out to a ridiculous degree, but commit a crime like that and I will hound you to the ends of the earth. So calmly reconsider and back away from that entrance right now.” An icy threat escaped her lips, but this was for his own good. Based on the screaming coming from inside the girls’ showers, he would be dead. If not that, horribly maimed. She had to prevent that from happening.

“For the love of… You could have left an apology note that she would tear up instead of you. Or maybe apologize later when she’s ideally cooled off a bit. Or, more importantly, not be here. Imagine if someone like Mercedes caught you right now. Xylia would be the least of your worries.” Lucille listed off a list of what she thought were rational suggestions, but she was growing increasingly concerned about the situation Colt had gotten himself into. This had the opportunity of blowing up too easily.

No, there was no point in giving him options. She’d decide for him. Otherwise something even worse could happen.

After a slight moment of deliberation, Lucille grabbed Colt’s arm and tried to yank him out of the girls’ locker room.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Alright alright, I’m coming, I’m coming.” So saying, he followed after the girl very much dragging him by the arm. “Willingly!”

Making it a point that he wasn’t resisting, Colt allowed himself to be taken out of the locker room.

“Look, I wasn’t going in there to mess around! I just, okay. Sure yeah, it’s probably, no definitely, super stupid. Like, on a scale of 1-10, going in there was a 9 and then if you listen closely to the whole SHOVE AN IRON ROD UP MY ASS thing, it’s definitely an 11. Or a 13.”

Going between panicked caught-red-handed and genuinely sincere at the speed of stupid, Colt shot his mouth off trying to explain.

“I mean come on, I’m not that stupid. I stopped for a reason! I’m not… Okay I was pretty convinced I should go in there BUT it wasn’t for any unsavory reasons like that! I just…”

His shoulders slumped for a moment and the boy paused. Everything he had done around his classmates recently had turned around to bite him in the ass, and the effects were written clear on his face, if only briefly. Putting back on a strong front with some hint of resolve, Colt continued.

“I just sort of wanted to set an example, ya know? Be the bigger man and all that by apologizing. Try and communicate that I don’t want to fight, I don’t want to have beef.”

Colt sighed.

“So I sort of got caught up in it and was ignoring the consequences and well…”

He let his voice trail off enough that the sound of shower tiles being struck came to the forefront of attention again, for both himself and Lucille.

“… A bad idea is starting to look even worse right now.”

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel
    Date: 08.09.1994

Quote Originally Posted by Zane
    "Though it might just go back to that warning pops had about girls wearing Adidas. Will need to make sure you don't teach anything unnecessary to Shane. He's got enough punk-tendencies from his older brother, that bastard."
    “Aaah, yeah. I hear he’s a realrad bad dude.” Anna’s grin was almost a mirror image of Zane’s. “A menace to all lawful and upstanding citizens of Road’s End.”

“Why, I even heard he goes to the local school during the morning to bully innocent young girls and glower menacingly at passersby.”

Quote Originally Posted by Zane
    "Well... while the town is nice, it has its own problems here and there,"

"You ever get any trouble 'round here, don't hesitate to give me a holler. I don't mind helping out if I can."
    “Thanks. I’ll be sure to grab you if I end up pissing off any of the local bigshots or get hauled in by the cops.”

"But in the latter case, I do expect a proper prison break, y'know?"

Despite her apparent levity, she did appreciate the boy’s offer. It might have been fueled by sympathy, but she didn’t mind. In many ways, her own interactions with Zane (and Shane to an extent) had been driven by that very same sympathy. Not pity, but rather a common understanding of rough circumstances that what both of them had faced.

Her eyes fell into the lighthouse which got ever and ever closer.

“What’s the deal with that thing, by the way? Can’t imagine this place has a huge amount of ship traffic going about these days. Any reason it’s still functional?” A flicker of distaste suddenly entered Anna's voice. “In any case, whoever is running that place sure knows how to pick the creepiest times to play his harmonica.”

"What was it called again... Ghost of a Sailor?"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

“Well, at least you have good intentions. Much better than that girl only apologizing to you under duress.” Lucille let go, feeling much more confident that Colt was not going to get himself killed, and then glanced at the showers, where she could hear the girl breaking tile in between barely comprehensible statements of rage. That was both impressive and frightening at the same time. Unconsciously, Lucille gripped one of her arms, as if to check a vital fact. The answer came to the forefront of her mind and she sighed in lament.

She’d definitely come out the loser in a fight.

Still, that didn’t mean there was a reason to give up, but as she had presumed, more peaceful alternatives were the way to go. In any case, what mattered was that Colt could present his sincerity without losing his life or his dignity, and so Lucille racked her brain for any answers. There were rather few, especially if he had to do it in person.

“Anyway, you being here is a big red flag—imagine coming out of the showers only to see the boy you hate right there.” Lucille waited a moment to let that fact sink in. “Besides, there’s no point in apologizing if you’re only going to get hurt afterward. What Prushka said, giving her an opportunity to beat you up, that’s just perpetuating a cycle of violence. It’s better to play it safe, you know? Apologize in a less personal manner.”

Of course, there was a little damper in the plan. Moral integrity was both a virtue and a flaw, and if Colt was dumb enough to nearly barge into a girl in the showers, he was probably dumb enough to still stick around. In short, Lucille had to brace herself to cushion the ensuing fall.

“But if you’re stubborn enough to do it in person…” she sighed, before placing a comforting hand on Colt’s shoulder. This was the determination of a woman who didn’t know how to give up on bad causes. “I’ll try to make sure you won’t get too beat up.”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“Okay…” At that, Colt took in a deep breath. Filling his lungs, then letting them empty slowly. Doing so once more, he nodded his head multiple times. Were she a mindreader Lucille would hear the boy’s mental voice shouting ‘you can do this’ over and over again. “Let’s do this.”

The nodding stopped, and he looked at the closed locker room door.

“Maybe it’s better if we wait out here, y’know.”

With the first semi-intelligent words to leave his mouth all day, he gestured to one of the benches lining the pool walls.

“And thanks for this. I can’t say I know why you keep trying to help me out when it comes to this girl, but I reckon I’d be a bloody mess right about now if it weren’t for you.”

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory – Kitchen
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Marie Pelltier & Sakura Tsukioka
    "Only child, eh? Kind of surprised to hear that, you struck me as being someone's younger brother."

"Well, if that spot is free, I'm calling dibs!"
    Suddenly, a hand is ruffling his hair, in a gesture that somehow expresses all sorts of positive feelings without need for words.

John Dove is not ready for it. He is not ready for a completely new experience, the likes of which he has never experienced in his life. This is not at all like being flung into the ocean by Pyry; that he sought of his own volition, precisely to experience something unique. This…this is completely uncalled for.

“Bweh?”

He does not catch his own maidenly sound. For those brief moments, there is only the tender feeling of soft fingers messing with his (no longer) neatly combed hair. There is only Sakura’s simple smile, matching the sheer spontaneity of her actions; something completely unlike anything John Dove is capable of doing.

Eventually, Sakura leans back and away, right after repeating the gesture on Elise Marie. She then starts talking, something about a not-quite-sibling of her own, but he is not really paying attention. His ears catch the words, and his brain will memorize—he will be able to recall them in the future. At this moment, however, he barely manages to utter a rote response as if to acknowledge Sakura’s words.

“Ah…uhh, um.”

It is only the sound of his own voice which kick-starts his conscious mind; a figurative kick as if to voicelessly exclaim “what the fuck are you doing!?”

It takes a few more seconds, however, for John to regain his usual, absolute control over his facial expressions and body language.

“Well…” he turns instead to Elise, not quite able to look at Sakura in the face right now.

“It…it is true I have lived with people in my age range. Cousins and…others. I was not, um, particularly close to any of them.”

His reputation, his past, always preceded him. It is those memories, that distance between himself and every person in every place he has lived in ever since that night, that allows him to refocus, to remember the truth, and thus leave behind Sakura’s unsettling bout of spontaneity.

He eats sliced bread as it comes: no toasting, no butter, and no jam. He leaves the bag on the center of the table, for the girls to partake of at will. He needs a bite or two to remember that he must respond to Sakura’s unusual offer.

“I…don’t know what it means to have a ‘big sister’, nor what it entails to be brother to one,” he admits. “I do not believe, however, that it is a bond that can be built in only two days.”

And really, how old is Sakura anyway, to call herself his ‘big sister’?

In any case, after making his point, John finally finds it in himself to smile at the Japanese girl.

“If we can be friends, however, and rely on each other to make this a better year for all of us, well…”

“I’d be more than happy for that.”

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “What’s the deal with that thing, by the way? Can’t imagine this place has a huge amount of ship traffic going about these days. Any reason it’s still functional? In any case, whoever is running that place sure knows how to pick the creepiest times to play his harmonica. What was it called again... Ghost of a Sailor?"
    Zane glanced at the lighthouse they had passed, and even Anna could see a small shiver pass by his body. The boy shook his head as if to dispel some bad thoughts entering his head before looking at her, seeming surprisingly serious.

"Honestly... I don't think anybody knows. The lighthouse's been here as long as I know. Some even say it was here before the town. I mean, Road's End used to be a fishing village before the McLampet's showed up, but... well, it might be there because were so close to the border, but again, who knows? I don't," Zane explained the best he could. "As for the harmonica player... that's another mystery right there. I know somebody keeps the lighthouse functioning, so it might be their doing, but never seen anyone go in or out."

Another momentary shiver shook Zane's body. It seemed that he shared his little brother's distaste when it came to the building, almost looking like he didn't even want to look at the building.

"Any case, if you're interested about the building, try talking to Rachel Halloway - the niece of the hotel owner around here," Zane continued. "For some reason she drops by there every now and then. A weird girl that."

Suddenly, Zane smirked.

"Headstrong, kind of rude, looks like she's always frowning despite being actually rather nice..." He explained. "You two might get along."

Colt Davin & Lucille Faraday

It took Xylia Pheme some fifteen minutes to finally exit the showers. Both Colt and Lucille could hear the girl enter the locker room. Apparently she had stopped her manic mantra, as the only thing entering their ears was the sound of her shuffling around, drying herself with a towel, opening a metal locker... and something wet constantly dripping on the floor. A distasteful smell of iron entered their nose around this time, floating from the room strong. They heard a hiss of pain as the girl did something. There was the first some sort of sound like a aerosol spray echoing a few times, followed by cloth being wrapped around something and tightened. Then, they could hear he get dressed, and head for the door.

----- And the moment she opened the metal door that took her to the corridor, Xylia Pheme stopped dead in her tracks.

She stood in the doorway, looking rather pathetic with a wet hair and furiously scrubbed body, to the point that her skin was red from irritation. Her clothes were still dirty, though it looked like she had tried to wipe them down, and the smell was similar. But strangest of all, other than the bandage on her forehead, the girl's hands were wrapped in gauze... one that had turned slightly red around her knuckles.

The burning gaze of Xylia Pheme practically bore a hole through Colt Davin and she opened her mouth, her face twisting in rage... but immediately froze again when she realized that Lucille was there as well. Her expression was dead frozen, twitched a few times... and then became an eerie mask of calmness that beget some sort of furious storm raging inside her skull, just about constrained. And perhaps the only reason for that was, well, when she had looked at Lucille Faraday, a jolt of fear had run through Xylia's ever-changing facial expressions.

"... the hell do ya two want?" Xylia asked, her voice a dead monotone.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

I knew they were deeply engrossed in their book and didn’t notice me enter but… I didn’t expect this. In front of me was a girl around my age surrounded by a bunch of scattered books. I inspected her to find her to be nearly an opposite of me.

Unobservant. Easily surprised. Highly noticeable dyed hair. Tall and unblemished body. If my face has some form of smile constantly on it, her face seemed to lean more towards scowling and more serious faces. Her clothes were stylish, fresh, and clean. The only thing we both had in common was our slim bodies. Regardless, I should make sure she’s alright.

“Sorry about that! Are you okay?”

Quote Originally Posted by Nora Norumbega
    "Ugh... W-what was... Oh! A-hem! I apologize. Y-you took me by surprise and, I, well, was rather deep into that book... didn't realize you were there."
    “Need a hand up?” I offered her my hand so she can get up. “Really sorry about that. I thought it would be best for me to announce myself instead of surprising you by suddenly appearing.”

She ignored my hand in an attempt to save some face. I didn’t mind as she got up by herself and started dusting herself off.

"But, what was that? Ah, yes, the library? I suppose I am rather used to it by now... though I don't know aboot being able to assist with the layout. The way these books are arranged is still quite the mystery to me. Though I have realized it just might have something to do with the year they've been printed... or the year they've been added here. I'm still not certain."
    “That sounds pretty worrying… No one has ever tried to organize it in a vaguely coherent manner before?”

"Anyways, I apologize for late introductions. Nora Norumbega, a student at the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Nice to meet you, Vier Wolff. Are you one of the new students of Pinefall I've heard so much aboot?"
    “Are we really that well known? Do all visitors get this much attention too?”

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru
    "Mmm... t-that might be the case, but on the other hand, I think it is solely because people do not want to be wrong. If we are wrong, many feel that we have done something bad, or perhaps, feel like we have become somehow less... so we tend to lash out. Even if it comes across as something petty as not listening to advice."
    "Yup, yup. People hate admitting they're wrong. Even more than they hate being wrong in the first place."

Subaru gets it. She's nice. I don't think she's pretending to be nice, either. She's just a nice person with a few screws loose. As far as the humans I've met go, that's still among the top of the pile.

That's three cups of coffee down. I'm feeling kinda hyper now, actually. Almost awake, even!

Let's wash down the bitterness with some eggs on toast...

"Well, if you want an example of how they feel, I think you need only to think back to how you felt when the conversation was about Pyry Leijonamieli... or perhaps when he patted your head. It was something embarrassing for you, yes? Many feel similarly ashamed when they are wrong, and again, they try to drive away those feelings in the first way they can... which is usually to reject what caused that embarrassment in the first place. It is a silly thing to do, but at the same time, understandable."

"Huh?"

"I think reflecting on your own experiences might make you see their viewpoints. They are not bad people because they do not listen. They just might be scared and embarrassed and lash out because of that. But... something like that should not discourage us from trying to help people. They might lash out, but if we try to make them see that being wrong is nothing to be embarrassed about, well... they might just listen."
    "...muh?"

I blink.

What did she just say? Where did all that come from? Why did she just pat my head? Is it revenge from before!?

...well, better Subaru than that big ogre.

I swallow down the food stuck in my mouth in one difficult gulp.

"W-wait a sec. That's two different things. How does me not liking having my head patted into the table relate to people being too embarrassed to listen to good advice? And when did I ever say that makes them bad!?"

Come on, Subaru. You're overthinking things. I get that whole bit about understanding people, but that goes only as far as understanding their feelings. The rest of it might as well be gibberish. And if I don't get it, that means it doesn't make sense.

Let's try and dial it back. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation. What is Subaru Iburi talking about?

She said something about Pyry... and me being embarrassed. When did that happen? When she was making those totally wrong implications, and I coolly brushed them off? I wasn't embarrassed at all then. In fact, I was in total control over my actions. So that's already wrong. But maybe she came to the wrong conclusion and thought I was feeling guilty and wrong about some things?

"Subaru. That Pyry thing was me not wanting you to get the wrong idea. I don't get embarrassed about stuff because I have never done anything to be ashamed of. And I especially don't get embarrassed about big gorillas like Pyry."

Yep, yep! A genius like me doesn't ever make mistakes like that. I hate people who lie to themselves more than anything.

"But I can imagine what it feels like to be embarrassed. I get that most people aren't as good at being honest with themselves as I am. That takes practice. It's an awfulness that every human has to fight against. And that's nothing to hate someone over, see?"

I fold my arms confidently.

"People might suck, but that's no reason not to help them. All it means is you have to hammer it in until they understand!"
    Last edited by Bloble; February 12th, 2019 at 09:13 PM.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "Well, if that spot is free, I'm calling dibs! I'd be more than happy to be a big sis for John here... and you as well, Elise!"
    At which point, Sakura reached across the table and John and Elise's hair was summarily ruffled by her.

Gah! Whyyyyy??? I already have enough older sisters, I don't need another, are you even older than me, and why is it always the hair ruffle?!

Elise made an effort to de-muss her hair. Lacking a mirror, however, her efforts were futile, and she accepted defeat and her now mussy hair.

"Uhm, thanks for the offer, Sakura, but I've got plenty of big sisters already, and I don't think they'd appreciate someone else honing in on their territory," began Elise, "I'm glad to have you as a friend though."

"Anyways, siblings? Well, not exactly... though I do have one sort-of little sister I had to look after back at home. A really handful of a girl, one that was always getting herself into trouble. Really made Onee-san worry at times, y'know?"
    "Oh, yeah. My sisters worried about me all the time. I really had no doubt that you were someone's older sister, Sakura."

The hair ruffle confirmed it!

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “It…it is true I have lived with people in my age range. Cousins and…others. I was not, um, particularly close to any of them.”
    I don't want to pry, but, well, I want to pry.

"That's a shame... Did you have to move around a lot?" asked Elise.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

"Headstrong, kind of rude, looks like she's always frowning despite being actually rather nice..."

"You two might get along."
    “You think? I’m surprised you two aren’t fast friends already.” Anna gave an amused shrug, as they left the white, almost pillar-like, structure behind. “I mean, you might as well be describing yourself there as well, eh?”

But a mystery, huh. A lighthouse with seemingly no origin, taken care by seemingly no-one. That and judging by how both of the Mitchell brothers had reacted to the building, not really liked by the townsfolk themselves. In fact, they seemed to almost purposefully shying away from it, almost as if it had been associated with some great tragedy. Anna might have to look up this Rachel Halloway at some point.

Who knew? Maybe that place even had something to do with all the weirdness happening around the School.

Their running path seemingly started to circle around, turning back towards the direction of Pinefall High.

“And these… McLampet’s? They some type of local “old money” family or something? Are they the ones running that posh rich folk club where you work at?”

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“To apologize.”

Colt got up and faced the eye of the storm. From the looks in her eyes, were it not for Lucille being here as well Xylia very likely would have jumped him in seconds. Seeing it, the deal felt sealed, and he almost gave up on the idea of trying to get a peaceful conclusion there.

Because without a doubt, by now she hated him.

And that feeling gave him pause.

“I’m not, I don’t want, to mess with you. Breakfast was an accident. It was my fault.”

But not enough pause to give up on what he had decided to do. All that talk would come to nothing if he backed out here and now. He’d be saddled with this grudge for the rest of the year at least, and even if she still chooses to hate him after an apology, at least the lingering specter of guilt won’t hang over him as well. The anxiety feeding haunt that always tries to remind you what could have been, should have been.

Trying not to glance down to the seemingly bloody gauze, Colt held his ground.

“I’m sorry. For today and the sand in your eyes too. If you wanna deck me, go ahead.” So saying, he turned, proffering his cheek. "Just... please don't go for my nuts... or do anything like... shoving an iron rod up my ass."
    Last edited by Spinach; February 13th, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory – Kitchen
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by Elise Marie Pelltier
    "That's a shame... Did you have to move around a lot?"
    John’s eyes drift towards Elise upon her asking that question. For a few silent moments, John’s mind runs the possibilities. Is the question born of idle curiosity, or is Elise aiming for something? Does Elise Marie Pelltier know who he is? Is she trying to be coy about it, to get him to admit something he cannot—he will not? Has suspicion already begun to fall upon him? Has his past already caught up?

It all comes to a halt when he realizes that, really, it does not matter. Whether it is mere curiosity or it obeys a greater purpose, the matter here is the question itself, and how to answer it.

How tiresome, John thinks to himself.

He could evade the question; weave yet another lie into the tapestry of falsity that makes the world. A cost-benefit analysis of that option, however, presents mostly unfavorable results. These things have a way to come out, after all. They always do in the end, and in Pinefall there will be no exception, even if there are no loose-mouthed relatives around this time.

John laments the possibility of things turning out in Pinefall as they have everywhere else, but he would not let get in his way this time. Not when he finally had an inkling of a clue to the truth.

“…yes,” he finally says. “I am a burden to my family, so none of my guardians will have me for more than a year or two.”

John realizes that it has begun. The same, well-trodden old path. Three days might be a new record, though. Nothing has even happened…no, that is not quite right, is it? Something has indeed happened.

He is about to open his mouth again when the memory of the beach party reaches the forefront of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyry Leijonamieli
    "I mean, the little squirt was going on 'bout this 'Elizaveta' person earlier today, too. Who's she supposed to be, anyway?"
    Pyry’s words…suggest an unsettling possibility. However, the person currently in his thoughts was in the seat diagonal to his in the bus. She was on the seat right in front of Sakura’s. Even if there was no exchange of words or even glances with her, she never left their line of sight. She walked out of the bus with the rest of us, and commented on Mr. Oceandrop's bizarre welcome.

“Actually, I just remembered; Sakura, may I ask you a question before we have to hurry to class?” John says as he reaches for the bowls and glasses already emptied, carrying them to the sink.

“Does the name ‘Elizaveta Vyraj’ mean anything to you?”

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

With a smile, I clap politely, having found common ground in the three of us in those so called 'mewvays' that Cesarina loves so dearly.

"I see! Unfortunately, I have only ever seen a single moovoy, so I cannot have an opinion on them! My current favorite is Children of the Corn!"

Glancing at the two, I continue tracing shapes with no meaning into the water, my other hand idly resting at the edge of the pool, idly curious about why Pyry turned away, but too polite to ask.

I'm obviously abnormal to these two, and yet they're in no way obviously abnormal to me. Granted, my perception of 'normalcy' is so incredibly off-kilter that it would not be that surprising if I do, in fact, appear outwardly abnormal. The way I was raised, and the way that I grew from a child to an adult, was far different from the normal raising of children, at least as I've seen in storybooks.

"Hmm... I suppose I will have to strive to be better then I currently am, then," I say, stretching my arms over my head before I shove off and re-enter the water, idly kicking my legs to keep myself afloat. "Because I am in no way 'kind of a dork'."

It's true, at least to me. I was never one for labels, however, especially at my previous academy. If anything, everyone there was some sort of bookish, because it was practically required to maintain your class ranking and stay in the school.

I, of course, was the best.

Looking back at the two as I float in the water, I tilt my head, smiling slightly at Pyry.

"My my, is somebody looking for some sort of romantic partnership? After all, I never even implied that I wanted one, did I?"

I wink at him before diving underneath the water, letting it cover my face and hair before emerging with a gasp after a short time, shaking my hair as I remove the band that was tying it back and fiddle with it around my wrist, letting the stray strands hang free as I grin.

"Fear not, Pyry," I say, waving a hand. "Although not all girls are into men who are larger-then-life and built like greek gods, I am sure that there is at least one person at this school who strives for nothing more then that in a romantic relationship! Why, just yesterday, after I threatened to tear Travis into pieces and make him into a chair, I saw a girl ask Souma out on a date, even though he's definitely weirder then I am! Anything is possible at this school, even falling in love!"

I give him a thumbs up, and nod, very seriously.

"You can do it, so don't give up!"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “That sounds pretty worrying… No one has ever tried to organize it in a vaguely coherent manner before?”
    Nora made a difficult face, as if thinking back to a memory that was rather unpleasant. It was the face of someone who had asked that very same question in the past and the answer that she had gotten still haunted her to this day. At the same time she played with her ponytail, tugging her midnight blue hair which was in no way dyed. Indeed, it told pretty much all Vier needed to know about the organization of the books around here, but even so...

"Well, I've made the stray suggestion here and there aboot organizing things in a more... sensible manner, but..." Nora's eyebrow twitched. "Let's just say that Mr. Halloway is very particular about his mysterious ways."

And that was the end of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Are we really that well known? Do all visitors get this much attention too?”
    A curt smile came back to Nora's lips, and she nodded.

"Well, obviously. Road's End is a small town, so every outsider gets a lot of scrutiny form the locals. Even I've gotten my fair share of suspicious looks," she explained. "But your situation is a bit different. After all, you'll be staying here for a year and the whole Oceandrop Program sank a lot of money into this bodunk little town. Some hope that it will help revitalize the economy around here, others are worried aboot the possible problems that might come with it."

She made a vague gesture in the air.

"Some even say that the program turned Pinefall into a glorified mental ward," she added. "Mostly the eldest of the locals."

Prushka

Quote Originally Posted by Prushka
    "People might suck, but that's no reason not to help them. All it means is you have to hammer it in until they understand!"
    Subaru's smile turned into somewhat troubled smile, and Tonkori gave a bark that seemed to indicate that there was no helping the way things were. Agreeing with her pet as signaled by a nod to the animal, Subaru began packing up her dishes onto the plastic tray. Time had certainly passed as they had conversed and taken part in the strange events that had happened at the cafeteria today.

"I do agree with you, Prushka, but... Ah, well," Subaru said and shook her head, as if to banish some stray thought. "Well, I guess we all have our quirks. But I guess part of this whole Oceandrop Program is to learn to be honest with ourselves and the world around us. Worry not about what I said, Prushka. It was simply idle talk."

Having gathered all the plates and cup onto the tray, Subaru stood up and Tonkori hopped onto the floor, running up to Prushka to give her leg an affectionate nuzzle. Meanwhile Subaru lifted the tray and nodded towards the door out of the cafeteria.

"Well, should we get going?" she asked. "The lessons are starting soon, and I must admit... I am still somewhat worried about my aptitude in English. According to Mr. Lewis after yesterday's test, I have a rather formal way of speaking that I should pay attention to. So, today, I was going to ask around the classroom for help when it comes to talking like a mundane person!"

Well, Mr. Lewis had't been exactly wrong, and it had apparently given Subaru a goal to work towards.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Prushka: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elise Pelltier & John Dove

“If we can be friends, however, and rely on each other to make this a better year for all of us, well… I’d be more than happy for that.”
    Sakura looked a little surprised, but then her expression melted into a smile that seemed to have driven away her exhaustion, at least for the moment.

"Well, I guess we'll start with that, then!" She said and giggled. "Got a whole year to work towards becoming a Big Sis for all of First Class!"

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "That's a shame... Did you have to move around a lot?"
    “…yes. I am a burden to my family, so none of my guardians will have me for more than a year or two.”
    That made Sakura's smile fade away, instead replacing it with a look of concern. She gave a quick glance to Elise to see how the girl had taken her answer to her question, as well as somewhat warn her about what sort of wounds could be opened with thoughtless prying. Indeed, it looked like the face of someone who had dealt with situations like this in the past. Perhaps not exactly this sort of conversation, but something very much like it. Of course this just raised further questions about Sakura's own past, but right now, she looked much more focused on John rather than herself.

Her hand moved just a little bit, perhaps trying to go for another bout of tousling his hair, but instead, it landed on his shoulder and patted it encouragingly.

"Well, like you said, we rely on each other to make this year better for all of us, so..." Sakura mulled over her word choice, before nodding to herself. "... So, don't worry about being burden to us. Can't speak for everyone, but I know everyone here carries burdens of their own, so sharing them to ease the load is not a bad idea."

She flashed them both a quick smile.

"Trust me. Like I said, I've been taking care of a troublesome little sister for a long time. If nothing else, I've learned how to be a good listener for others!"

“Actually, I just remembered; Sakura, may I ask you a question before we have to hurry to class? Does the name ‘Elizaveta Vyraj’ mean anything to you?”
    For the first time since their arrival to Road's End, Sakura Tsukioka managed to look surprised. She blinked at John, before mouthing the word 'Elizaveta Vyraj' under her breath. For a moment, she seemed to think about something, weigh her options, and finally... came to a decision.

"Hmm... isn't she that student that hasn't shown around here in a while?" Sakura asked, tilting her head. "Whatever happened to her?"

Anna Vandemeel

Quote Originally Posted by Anna
    “And these… McLampet’s? They some type of local “old money” family or something? Are they the ones running that posh rich folk club where you work at?”
    Zane cocked an eyebrow, almost as if asking if Anna had truly never heard of the McLampets.

"You mean the Spade Queen? Oh, nah, that's owned by Mr. Pinkerton. He's an outsider, but unlike you guys, he has no intention of integrating into the town-life around here. He caters to the rich and wealthy from both sides of the border, giving them 'rural' fun for ridiculous fees and stinks up the whole place as he does so. Nobody in the town likes him," the redhead explained. "But the McLampets, well... It's not wrong to say they're Old Money. 'Cept they ain't anymore. They owned the saw of Road's End and the logging rights to Ghostwood, but after their patriarch died the whole family descended into squabbling over the inheritance."

The lighthouse was left far behind as the two kept jogging back towards the school on the side of the unkempt asphalt road. Only few cars passed them by as they did, both drives giving a slight wave to Zane to greet the boy. It seemed that he was known by locals... though that might be because of his vibrantly colored head of hair.

"Then all of the old patriarch's kids either disappeared and died and left the saw mill and this town to rot," he said, clear distaste in his words. "Took the livelihoods of most of the townsfolk with them. A damn shame too, because back in the time of the saw, apparently the whole town was booming. But now it's... well..."

He gestured towards the scenery of forest and sea around them with his hand, and the fact that the few houses they saw here and there seemed all but abandoned.

"... This."

Alexstrasza Lockhart

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "You can do it, so don't give up!"
    Pyry's shoulders slumped and he descended into the water up to the eye-level, looking positively crushed by the blonde girl's words. Meanwhile Travis was laughing like a hyena in the background, enjoying the magnificent self-destruction of the Finnish athlete in the hands of Alexstrasza. It was the laugh of someone who would have found even a fight between friends hilarious.

"... Gee, thanks, now I feel even more depressed," Pyry grumbled, most of his speech coming up as nothing but bubbles on the surface of the water. "You really have a way with the words, Strasza."

Apparently no longer feeling like swimming, Pyry broke the surface again and hoisted himself up from the edge of the pool. Dripping with chlorine water, his body's muscles tightened and relaxed as he stretched like a big cat waking up in the morning. Then he shifted his swimming shorts shorts so they wouldn't ride dangerously low on his body anymore (thanks to certain uncouthly-named wrestling move by an unnamed Travis Gagnon) and turned back to the two.

Oh dear.

He was sulking. Clearly sulking.

"Eh, don't take it so seriously, Pyry," Travis cackled and pointed his thumb towards Alexstrasza. "She's got a horrible personality, so chances are you'll get into a relationship long before she does. Hell, if she continues this way, she'll be an old spinster with, like, a gazillion cats to fill that empty void inside her. But it'll never be enough."

Again cackling like a maniac, Travis backstroked away quickly to avoid any sort of retribution that might come his way. Meanwhile, while Pyry had heard the words they didn't seem to help. He let out a frustrated groan and scratched his mane of blonde hair, as if wracking his head for answers that certainly couldn't be found from there.

"Gaaah... I just want a good, old-fashioned high school romance now that I'm here," the boy complained. "Is that too much to ask!?"

Apparently it was.

Colt Davin & Lucille Faraday
    [BGM]

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “I’m sorry. For today and the sand in your eyes too. If you wanna deck me, go ahead. Just... please don't go for my nuts... or do anything like... shoving an iron rod up my ass."
    A terrible, pregnant silence. A pair of eyes staring at Colt, unblinking, unmoving, choosing to ignore Lucille completely at this point. Not a single thing in the expression of Xylia Pheme betrayed any emotion, save for an odd twitch her whole head had, looking almost like a miscalculated movement, rapid and jarring, of an animatronic doll. But just as quickly as it happened, it was gone, leaving behind only an unsure memory if it had even been there.

And then...

"Huuuuuh?"

Xylia's voice was raspy as two stones grinding against each other in sand and it had an odd cadence to it. Slowly, stiffly, she walked up to Colt and stared right up at him with that unblinking stare of hers, her burning eyes refusing to let his go from their stare.

"... Ya think just deckin' ya is gonna make up for anything?" Xylia asked, her tone quiet to the point of eerie as opposed to her usual fury. "Ya humiliated me in front of the whole school, ya bastard. I ain't gonna forget. I'll never forget. Even if that monster Mercedes threatens me again, I ain't gonna forget. Don't forget who yer betters are ya damn mongrel. I was minding my own business after yesterday, and ya just waltzed in an made me a laughingstock in front of everyone by 'accident'? Get real ya shithead. Ya did it on purpose, didn't ya? Of course ya did. Certainly ya did. Obviously ya did. Without a doubt ya did. Naturally ya did. Ya did. Didn't ya? Ya did. Ya did. Ya did. Ya did."

It was... unsettling. Maniacal even. Her stare and her tone of voice that showed nothing, not an inch of emotion. Just deep-seated something within those eyes of hers as she continued to stare at Colt. A mad stare that refused to look away or blink even if her eyes were to dry out. Despite her small body, Xylia Pheme seemed to stretch as long as her shadow right about now.

"He was right. He knew what was gonna happen. 'They're all gonna laugh at ya' he said. Third day. It only took three days for it to happen," Xylia continued. "I knew I was gonna get made fun of, but to that point? Ya showed yer true colors after all. Made sure everyone saw it. Made sure they'll remember it. Made sure they'll all talk behind my back again. It's just whispers after whispers after whispers after whispers after whispers after whispers after whispers and it'll never stop."

The scorching sun in her eyes had become a red giant.

"I know ya did it on purpose ya bastard. Because ya hate me too."
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; February 13th, 2019 at 08:26 PM.

Elaine Winters

She looked over at Gabi, in the midst of his giggle-fit after his, uh, sterling attempt(?) at a pun, and was thoroughly nonplussed.

"Well, uh, okay. El Santo's, well, never mind, he's a cool guy who helps the people, I guess."

How exactly was she supposed to take this, she wondered, had she annoyed something along the years?

Well, probably, absolutely even.

She'd narrow down which one it was later. Until then, she had this to deal with.

Elaine scratched at her head, a scarred palm raking beneath blonde hair.

Hm.

This wasn't really going anywhere.

She had to find something to talk about, it was all leading to a terribly awkward end. Curse you, assaulter of Ubon for turning her into a sulking lump!

A thousand years of torment!

She hadn't had nearly enough sleep to try and steer a conversation by herself with no one to assist, even Lucille had abandoned her, running off to try and put out a fire that was never going to go out and Elaine wasn't even going to bother trying.

She drummed her fingers again, expression strained, stuck between almost-silent chortling and almost-deafening silence.

Okay, uh, think, what's a good ice-breaker...

She had to get Ubon out of her head somehow.

What's something everyone can enjoy?

Fuck it, let's go with what you know. Better than nothing, maybe this'll be the day people will actually take you up on it!

Maybe!

"So who wants to know about Conspiracy Theories!"

Okay, let's lead with a good one.

"Did you know, we might actually live in the year 1637?" She began, eyebrow bobbing, "Apparently, accordin' to this German guy, from about 614 to 911 AD, since there's barely any records from around that time, they just didn't happen."

She made a 'poof' gesture, "Everything that happened in there accordin' to the books? All bull, so everything for about 300 years of recorded history is totally bull, and that's probably when the Reptilians showed up, infiltrated our governments, and started carting off 'certain people' to education facilities to brainwash 'em into their own 'secret truths of the world'."

She leaned in, whispering now, "An' now those people? Hybrids, alien hybrids, carrying out the deeds of their scaly masters, infiltrating society, running the world, could even be some with us here, right now."

She said this all very seriously, and with a knowledgeable air about her, but her eyes gleamed with humor.

Blog Entries
    Adelaide Cheshire

"... Huh? What're you up to, Jellyfish? Trying to break into someone's room?"

"Just knocking."

She turned her head a hair to see a white-haired boy behind her - Hwan Bin. A troublemaker, or so he seemed, but she hadn't gotten any bad vibes from him. Were they there regardless? Probably.

Was it her business?

No.

It wasn't.

"If you wanna sneak all the dirty little secrets outta Souma's room, you're not gonna do it by politely knocking. I'd suggest using something like this."

Adelaide tilted her head at him, looking at the lockpicks he held in his hand. A strange half-smile crept onto her face, the sort of expression that could hold a lot of things within it, in part amused, flirtatious, intrigued - it said a lot of things without ever settling on one.

"You can try it if you like, Carbuncle."

She stepped to the side of the door.
    [12:37] <I3uster> if playing overwatch would save my mother from the deathbed
    [12:37] <I3uster> id probably flip a coin
    [12:38] <I3uster> to see if i play or not

[18:23] <frantic> spinach is like a caffeine zombie

[18:23] <frantic> in AX he would like
    [18:23] <frantic> drink 8 shots of espresso
    [18:23] <frantic> then he'd turn to me an hour later
    [18:23] <frantic> 'frantic', he'd say, his eyes wild and his lips smug
    [18:23] <frantic> 'i need coffee'

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

"Hmm... I know that look."

She's holding something back! I knew it! Even Subaru isn't an a perfect angel of a person!

But I'll put up with it. I've been putting up with human awfulness all my life, so it's not hard to tolerate it from a person I actually almost kinda like hanging out with.

"Bah, we can pick it up another time. Breakfast is way too early for heavy discussions."

I force myself up, feeling simultaneously jittery and tired, and am struck by a thought as I gather up the empty coffee cups on the table.

"...oh right. Gonna have to call the janitor... I hope Colt's doing alright."

He's gotta be. That guy actually listened. That means he got what I was saying, which means...

He'll definitely understand. He'll understand Xylia Pheme's feelings, like I did, no matter how much she denies it.

Well, I hope. He might just mess things up even further instead. Humans are awful, after all.

"The lessons are starting soon, and I must admit... I am still somewhat worried about my aptitude in English. According to Mr. Lewis after yesterday's test, I have a rather formal way of speaking that I should pay attention to. So, today, I was going to ask around the classroom for help when it comes to talking like a mundane person!"
    "Hm? Ah, don't worry about that, Subaru. There's no need to talk like an ordinary person; you sound really cool! Besides, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan can barely speak English and everyone loves them. As long as you can get your feelings across, that's enough!"

Well, give it to a teacher to try and grind everyone down to be the same. That's another thing wrong with society: the school system. You'd need at least a few hours to explain everything broken about that!

"Anyway, if you need help in class, I can help out... a-as thank you for the salve, of course."

I leave the cafeteria by Subaru's side with a yawn, wondering what to do tonight, thinking of a lighthouse and a melancholic harmonica tune.

[SCENE END /// Move to NEXT Phase!]

Blog Entries
    Elaine Winters

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Apparently, accordin' to this German guy, from about 614 to 911 AD, since there's barely any records from around that time, they just didn't happen. Everything that happened in there accordin' to the books? All bull, so everything for about 300 years of recorded history is totally bull, and that's probably when the Reptilians showed up, infiltrated our governments, and started carting off 'certain people' to education facilities to brainwash 'em into their own 'secret truths of the world'. An' now those people? Hybrids, alien hybrids, carrying out the deeds of their scaly masters, infiltrating society, running the world, could even be some with us here, right now."
    The moment Elaine had started her explanation about this grandiose conspiracy theory involving faked history and reptilian overlords, Gabi's giggling had died down. Instead, it had been replaced by silent, earnest intent to listen... eventually replaced by growing horror... eventually replaced by actual dread at the thought... and finally replaced by the boy going totally white in the face as the ramifications of this horrible new reality were laid bare before his eyes.

... It seemed that he had completely missed the humor in Elaine's eyes as she explained this.

"... r-r-reptilians...?" Gabi whispered in horror. "... faked h-history...? ... but wouldn't that mean... doesn't that mean..."

He fidgeted with his fingers, almost like someone trying desperately to take their mind off of horrible facts. But to no avail. His mind was running now and there was no stopping it. Glancing around the cafeteria in what looked almost like a fit of paranoia, the boy then focused on Elaine, leaned across the table and whispered something so that only the three of them could hear it.

"... doesn't that mean...?" he stammered. "... that the history as we know it..."

His pupils grew dilated with fear.

"... is history!?"

PSHEOWT!

In that exact second Ubon snorted a beautiful fog cloud of orange juice through her nose, unable to hold in her guffawing at the absolutely, dreadfully horrible pun that had left Ubon's lips. The cyan-haired girl let out a small yelp, dried her face off with a napkin, and then tried to return back to that melancholic, downcast expression she had been wearing before.

But anyone could see it, the way the corners of her lips were tugging and especially how she avoided looking both Elaine and Gabi in the eyes.

... This girl was holding back laughter.

Adelaide Cheshire

Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide
    "You can try it if you like, Carbuncle."
    "Don't mind if I do~!"

Cackling under his breath, Hwan skipped over to Souma's door like he was a punk about take a candy from a baby. In fact, he had so much glee in being able to do something like this only because someone else let him, he was grinning from ear to ear. Perhaps it was the fact that if things went south, he had someone else to blame... or perhaps he was just an ass who liked to snoop around when it came to other people's properties. Nevertheless, Hwan knelt before the door, peered at the lock with one eye closed, took a hold of his lockpicking set...

... and got to work.

"Watch and you might learn something, jellyfish," Hwan cackled, glancing at Adelaide's poofy dress. "First the tension wrench, then the rake, and then diamond, and once you've got the hang of it...!"

In under five seconds the lock of Souma's door opened with a pleasant snap. Hwan thumbed his nose, set aside his lockpicks and put a hand on the handle. Then, before anyone could stop him or get a word in edgewise, he pushed the handle down and the door inwards, letting out another bout of rude laughter.

"Well-! Ladies first, hah!" He snorted and jumped out of the way.

This gave Adelaide a clear look at Souma's room... and what a depressing room it was. It seemed that the boy had brought nothing with him when he arrived to the school. There were no personal belongings, no furniture or nick-knacks, no decorative items to spruce the place up, not even a pair of new curtains to give the room some privacy. Instead there was just a floor without a carpet, the single white chair and desk all the rooms had, a bed without a mattress or a blanket (just a sleeping bag rolled up neatly and set in the corner) and the wardrobe where one could see two sets of black track uniforms that he favored.

It was also very clean... meticulously so.

No, scratch that, there was some stuff on top of the table. One seemed like a bag of surgical gloves, neatly arranged to the point that it hinted at some sort of OCD on the boy's part, while the other... was some sort of card. Perhaps an I.D. card or a medical identity proof or something like that?

Hwan let out a low whistle.

"Man... talk about boring," he said, leaning against the door frame. "Looks like even the supposed badass Souma Nubatama is just a nerd like rest of the people here."

The white-haired boy scoffed derisively.

Elise Pelltier

John seemed to take a moment to consider his reply before he answered.
    “…yes. I am a burden to my family, so none of my guardians will have me for more than a year or two.”
    What sort of a family considers one of their own to be a burden like that? Shuffling him around from one place or another... Poor John...

"I'm sorry to hear that John..." Elise paused for a moment to muster her cheerfulness, "but you're not a burden to us! We're all pulling for you, because we're all in this together, right?"

“Actually, I just remembered; Sakura, may I ask you a question before we have to hurry to class? Does the name ‘Elizaveta Vyraj’ mean anything to you?”
    "Hmm... isn't she that student that hasn't shown around here in a while? Whatever happened to her?"
    "Yeah, I was wondering about that when you mentioned her at the beach, John. She wasn't at class yesterday, and I don't think she showed up to the beach party at all."

Elise paused for a moment, and considered the implications of her statement.

"...are you going to go through with your promise to hunt her down mercilessly, Sakura?"