Page 13 of 244 FirstFirst ... 381112131415182363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier
    Phase: Evening Phase
    Date: 06.09.1994
    Weather: Sunny

Quote Originally Posted by Elise
    "What about the forest? It's easy to get lost in the woods, but you've made it sound like a lot of people just disappear in there. Plus they call it Ghostwood, and that's kind of a suggestive name."
    "Ghostwood, huh?" Jake asked, scratching the back of his neck. "The way I heart it, the name comes from the old native folklore of the place. You'd have to ask Tommy 'bout it, he's the one with roots to them. Anyways, I know I made it sound like hundreds of people disappeared in it, but really the number was in tens. Around thirty people, I think? In any case, it's a huge forest y'know? Easy to get lost into even if you don't got some legendary spook after you. So if you go snooping around there, I suggest staying on the trails. Don't want to start a search party because one of the new kids got lost on her first week."

Jake's grin told he was joking, but the way he phrased it was a clear warning. It was an old, large forest in the end. Even without anything mysterious going on it'd be very easy to lose your way there without proper equipment, so it was best not to underestimate it. Apparently Ghostwood, in some way or another, continued all the way to the state border so there was a lot of forest to go through if you got especially unlucky.

"In any case, lots of old legends about that place," Jake continued. "There's the Disembodied Man, which is an old tale about a man who's not a man. He stands as a silhouette in the dark forest, nothing more, waiting. If you see him, you musn't look at him or he'll start moving and will eventually catch you, and spirit you away into the woods. Some say he's the ghost of a murderer, others say he's the restless spirit of some poor sap who died after getting lost. Another tale is that of Grinning Girl, some native story about a woman with teeth like an animal, grinning at you from the tree tops and staring at you with eyes of pure light. Come across her and she'll rip you apart and eat you alive. From what I heard from this one guy who was experienced in folklore, it's a local variation of the wendigo story."

Taking a drag off his his cigarette, Jake found it burnt to the butt. He shrugged his shoulder, enjoyed the last of the smoke and then ground it against the grassy ground with his heel. He then finished up the rest of his soda before tossing the can into the nearby trash-bin with a perfect three-pointer.

"The last one I know of is the Chevron Lodge," Jake finished. "They say that if you start from the lakes, move to the mill and follow the railroad tracks, eventually you'll start see these petroglyphs resembling a hanged man, or something like that. You follow them into the forest, and after half a day you'll come across a big wooden lodge, and old forgotten house in the darkest dark of the forest. It has scarlet drapes on the windows and no lock on the door. You go inside... you never come out. The house will keep you and never let you go."

At this point Jake suddenly looked straight at Elise, a hard look in his eyes.

"Let me warn your right now: don't go looking for petroglyphs just 'cause I told you this. Who knows if the lodge is real, but what's real is that you'll get yourself lost and we'll never find you again," he said. "It's better just talk about old legends, not actually go risking our neck out for tall tales. We don't want you going the way of those workers who disappeared, right?"

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory – Personal Bedroom
    Evening Phase
    Still Sunny?

Alone, on what is my bed from this day onward. The lights are off; I just forgot to turn them on. For the second time this day, I rest with my eyes covered by my arm. This time, however, my body trembles; a vile, bitter, squirming thing buried in my body fights to break free. Gritting my teeth as if my emotions could be something I can chew and gnaw off until they’re dead.

It’s not the first time this happens, but I thought I had overcome this by now. Really, to think that it took a single day…will I be able to make it through a year in this place? Surrounded by these people, who make me question the foundations of my very self?

My body is tense, coiled as if ready to strike at the enemy that, unfortunately, exists only within myself. I want to lash out at something, anything, but how do I strike at the intangible falsity of the world—!?

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon Sĕeklęun
    "Your face's gonna look supah weirdsies."
    A fist painfully strikes the wall, the ensuing numbness like a bucket of cold water to my incandescent mind.

Pathetic. Beyond pathetic.

How far have I fallen, to receive…she wasn’t even being considerate! That girl is incapable of consideration!

An unsightly snort bursts out of my lips, followed by strident laughter. Yes, I laugh, because my life has truly left behind any semblance of common sense. That it is the likes of Ubon Sĕeklęun of all people who has centered me—!

Yes. Yes. This is fine.

If anything, I should be glad. Truly, Mister Oceandrop has surrounded me with quite the ensemble of characters. Yes, these might just be the starkest shades in this hollow, colorless world. The strongest, most dangerous exponents of the lie, but also the greatest opportunity of my life.

Yes, this could be the challenge of my lifetime. But, if I don’t find even a hint to the truth in this place, I might as well drop dead.

Yes, yes, I should be looking forward to this. This is just fine. No, this is beyond fine.

This is what I need right now. I guess I owe my thanks to Ubon for reminding me of this.

Sleep? Too early for that. Hunger? Not in the slightest.

With enthusiasm like I do not remember displaying in years, I reach for my sketchpad, quickly going over its many used pages. I skip over the mediocre depictions of animals and landscapes, eagerly looking for the pages that matter. The only image vivid in my mind, and therefore the only thing I can portray with skill and accuracy.

The most beautiful, unique, colorful thing in this world.

My truth.

“I will find you,” I repeat. This time, it is the renovation of an oath.

Adrenaline stimulates my body, my heart beats accelerated. Blood rushes to my cheeks, twisted unfamiliarly by the big smile on my face. I put on the earphones, turn on the Discman and fill my head with music—which music? It's not like I care.

I reach for the pencil, flip the pages to the next blank one, and I draw. And while I draw, I think.

Pinefall is the decisive challenge. I will not face it halfheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubon Sĕeklęun
    "Don't break at the seams, Johnnie."
    Break? No way, no way, I’m just getting started. No way I’m quitting when it’s just starting to get interesting.

Don’t look down on me, Ubon Sĕeklęun.

And, thank you.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    "Let me warn your right now: don't go looking for petroglyphs just 'cause I told you this. Who knows if the lodge is real, but what's real is that you'll get yourself lost and we'll never find you again," he said. "It's better just talk about old legends, not actually go risking our neck out for tall tales. We don't want you going the way of those workers who disappeared, right?"
    "Understood," replied Elise with a nod, "It's a big forest, easy to get lost, even without an inescapable cursed lodge. Besides, can you imagine how embarrassing it would be to be a student who got lost in the forest? If you were lucky, they'd never find you again, and you'd fade into school myth as a warning to new students. "Don't wander too far into the woods, or else you'll end up like Lost Elise!" And if they did find you, your peers would just mock you about getting lost in the woods forever."

There is no stronger deterrent than the mocking laughter of your peers.

"I don't need to go chasing after ghost stories, and I'll be sure to share ghost stories responsibly," promised Elise.

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin
    Phase: Evening Phase.

“I’ve got one foot in the mud already…” Colt’s voice trailed off at that, slowly angling the gun down to a safe position to keep it at. Right toward a patch of moist earth, almost like the proverbial mud he was about to jump into. “What’s one more foot?”

He sighed.

It was his own fault that this gun was in his hands now. That it had returned to his hands. Colt had opened the door, given the nudge for Tommy to find a reason to push it onto him. There was no pretending this wasn’t an outcome he had walked into.

It’s just hard to let go of things that intrigue. The spark of curiosity lights the biggest fire.

Double checking that there was no bullet chambered and that the gun was unloaded, he finally relaxed his grip on the gun to a more casual grasp. With the safety on and having made doubly sure that it wasn’t loaded, the tension left his body.

“Alright, alright. Fine. I’m young, I can take another fall. But only if you’re sure about this.” Wrapping the gun in the handkerchief, Colt unbuttoned his shirt and deposited the pistol in one of the two large, inner pockets. “Not quite the safest way to do it, but a lot more discrete than coming back to the dorm with a pistol holstered around my waist.”

Buttoning the shirt back up, he tapped his chest where the gun was.

“Just… call it a favor. I’ve already paid for the speakers. And honestly, a set of speakers for a likely hot gun wouldn’ be the best deal I’ve made. But it’s my fault this thing found the light of day and this fell onto you. Leave it to me to poke around where I definitely shouldn’t and get into MORE gun business. If you ever want to turn it in, we can go right to the sheriff and tell him what happened here today. Just, maybe keep out the part where I took it back to school and held onto it for you…”

He forced a short laugh, obviously not finding the situation as funny as he would like it to be.

“If I run into trouble I’ll talk to that janitor, Jake. But more likely than not, I can keep this under wraps. If things get bad I’ll just string together something believable about me snagging it out of the woods or something. At the least I can talk myself out of getting into juvie, and I’ll keep you out of the rest of the mess.”

With the hand that never touched the bloodstained pistol, he offered a fist to the native man.

“Scout’s honor.”

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday
    Date: 06.09.1994.

She was pinned.

Lucille Faraday would have been fine with nothing happening, an abject lack of resolution, but this was clearly not the case. Instead, she was face to face with a girl who still held her self-interested views intact, albeit not in the way Lucille had expected. This was probably the closest thing the girl had to friendship. Defending those who didn’t view as her as an equal. A fundamental respect for those, who were in her mind, on the same tier.

This wasn’t a mentality Lucille could fault her for. While it was undoubtedly rude, snobbish, and prone to ruining the lives of others, it meant that Mercedes West had a fundamental set of values lying underneath. Rude people existed and there was nothing that could effectively be done about it, but at least rude people with at least some level of integrity could be managed.

Still.

This was an intervention Lucille never wanted, or, for that matter, was sure she even needed.

Lucille Faraday existed for the people. She’d help them, she’d nurture them, she’d protect them. She had toiled so much for a quite frankly unrealistic purpose in life because she felt genuine joy in it. It gave her value.

And the one moment where she had betrayed these ideals, thinking “I’ve done enough,” it all came crashing down.

She would rather suffer than let that happen again. Complacency was the enemy. If she thought her efforts were fine as is, they had mistakes. She had to be her toughest critic, for any flaws she had were a detriment to her task of selflessness. She had to be cruel to herself to be kind to others.

“I used to think I was perfect,” she admitted amidst the running water. “That I couldn’t do anything wrong.”

“But nobody is perfect, and I learned that the hard way. So, forgive me—or don’t—that I am going to be hard on myself because I’m unwilling to repeat any mistakes.”

For the first time since she had arrived to Pinefall High, Lucille’s tone wasn’t warm, or even making the attempt to be. Her voice was cold and unwavering, a far cry her from her usual, genial attitude.

“It’s fine that I let myself get pushed around. It’s fine that people could take advantage of me. I don’t care. But the moment someone does something I absolutely abhor, I won’t budge an inch,” Lucille continued, clenching her fists. She was on the verge of pushing Mercedes off of her, barely contained anger all too evident.

“You can try and fix me as much as you’d like. I won’t yield. If you can’t reconcile that the Lucille who hates seeing people hurt is the same Lucille who could have beaten you today with no qualms, that is your problem and not mine.”

Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier

"I don't need to go chasing after ghost stories, and I'll be sure to share ghost stories responsibly."
    "Good. As long as you got that, we've got no problems," Jake said and smiled as he lifted himself up from the bench. "Mr. Oceandrop would have my head if he thought I was suggesting to you lot to go chasing after folktales."

The silver-haired youth stood up and gave a great big yawn. Then he stretched his back backwards so that one could hear a pleasant popping sound, and rolled his shoulders. Finally he turned back around, somewhat satisfied look on his face. It looked like it was back to work for janitor Jake. The time for old folktales was over (at least for now) as there were classrooms in dire need of dusting out there if Elise and others wanted to have a bit more pleasant experience tomorrow.

"Though, I gotta admit," Jake said. You're awfully curious girl. Not that I mind, I suppose I'm the same type. But, eh, what I'm trying to say is... hmm, how do I word this without sounding like a jackass...?"

For a moment Jake rubbed his chin, his blue eyes focused on Elise.

"... Well, to be honest, you don't look so troubled as many of the kids in here? Then again, I guess you wouldn't be here if you weren't," Jake finally continued. "Hmm. Well, anyways, if you ever get troubled by more than old folktales and need someone to talk to, feel free to come talk to me. As I said, I might not about all that psychology stuff, but hey - I can at least listen to you gripe, right?"

Jake winked at Elise.

Colt Davin

Quote Originally Posted by Colt
    “Scout’s honor.”
    Colt's smaller fist met that of Tommy.

"A'ight. I'll hold you to that."

This exchange and the unpleasant implications hanging about the discovery of the gun still liingering in their minds, it was a bit hard to continue the dive through the junk lot anymore. Not to mention that the sun was already dipping its feet below the horizon, meaning that Colt's curfew was fast approaching. Tommy seemed to realize this to as he walked back over to the car and closed the hood, muttering something like "we'll take a look at you later". Together the of them then made their way out of the fenced area and Tommy locked the gate behind them, slipping that familiar key ring back to his jacket pocket.

"Jake's the master of coming up with believable bullshit, so he's your man for any story you need to make up," Tommy said with a lopsided grin. "Hell of a poker face too. Once told our former teacher straight up that he didn't know who had spray painted her car. Even though he got the can in the back pocket of his pants. We were squirming in fear but he? Not even a suspicious blink. Talk about nerves of steel, sheeze..."

It seemed that the two of them had quite the history together, what with both being former Pinefall alumni from the years it was a normal school, not the type of place as it was now. But the way Tommy put it, there might have been a bit more there than just the two of them being buddies. After all, Tommy had used the word 'We' so perhaps there were more people who were part of this group? Who knew? And perhaps this was not a thing to focus on right now.

"So, uh... when you need to favor, give me a holler," Tommy said. "I can't do miracles but I should be able to help you out with just about anything. Unless it's, like, hiding a body. Even I gotta draw the line somewhere, man."

Tommy's words were tinged with humor, but it was a little forced.

"But yeah, you should probably get going. Looks like only 'bout half an hour till your curfew," Tommy said, checking his watch. "Anyways, despite what, uh, happened, it was nice to meet'cha, Colt. Hopefully you can find some other gearheads in that school of yours so we can get more life to this place. Make it extracurricular activities so Mr. Oceandrop will have to hire me, too."

Tommy chuckled and gave Colt an encouraging nod.

"Don't be a stranger now. Come visit when you want."

Colt Davin: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

"Ugh, fine. Then, you know what? That's my problem. Got a problem with that?" Mercedes shot back, refusing to back down, verbally or physically. "You do, like, what you want. I can respect that, 'cause then I'mma do exactly what I want, too. Someone pushes you 'round? I'll ruin their lives. Someone takes advantage of you? I'll make them afraid 'nough not to show their face again. You don't like what I do? You take it up with me, not sulk off to cut your wrists or whatevs you do in your spare time."

A declaration most bizarre.

But then again, it fit the competitive nature of Mercedes West.

She had found respect within herself for Lucille only to realize the girl had no love for herself. A meeting of people who couldn't have been more different. One who had love for nothing but herself, and one who had love for everyone else. Never would have two like them met under normal circumstances but the Oceandrop Program had put them in close proximity with each other. A clash like this had been inevitable from the very start for their view of the world was a polar opposite one. But what had added a twist to it, what had made it something else but a relationship of hatred was the oddest factor.

That respect Mercedes West felt towards Lucille Faraday - Seeing her as an equal.

"I don't hate you, Faraday. Which is, like, more than I say for most. The way I see, you got spine or whatevs," Mercedes continued, easing the proximity between the two of them a little back. "But we both got something we don't, like, agree 'bout the other. I mean, that's life? Ain't no one on this ball of blue that don't got a grievance or two 'bout those they know. I can live with that. But I'mma act like myself. And you's gonna act like youself. We might disagree, but I, like, don't see a reason why we can't hang out despite that. Or do you?"

Finally taking a step back and giving Lucille some breathing room, Mercedes put her hands on her hips and let the rain of the shower envelope her fully. Thanks to the intensity of the confrontation, she was breathing a bit heavier, but this distance allowed her to gather back her calm once more. The polar-opposite views the two of them had was kindling that could start a fire any time, but that self-centered 'who the hell cares?' attitude of Merceds might have been exactly what allowed her to see past it. She was so self-centered that she didn't care if the person she wanted to hang out with had different morals than her.

Such a thing was beneath her, after all.

"But I have to say Faraday," Mercedes continued, looking the other girl up and down. "You say you ain't, like, perfect and stuff? So take this from the poster girl of trying to be perfect, okay? You claim you're not perfect..."

The starlet's eyes narrowed a bit.

"... But you sure as hell are trying to act like one. Only perfect people don't make mistakes. And ain't like no one out there who hasn't done a mistake."

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Pinefall High Dormitory - Cesarina's Room

"Umm... Zaza? Benito is just a stuffed toy. I know it is my master-crafted premium creation and very life-like, but... it is nothing but a toy."

Lying is a sin, Cesarina. Even as Benito falls over, it eyes me suspiciously, like this entire act was my fault. Toy-like it may appear, but something that... that...

...cute, can't possibly be anything but a trick. I am onto your game, Cesarina. I know your tricks.

"Not at all! How about you stack stuff on that bed, I vacuum the floor underneath, and then we'll sort the pile out in their proper places? The first one to finish that part gets to choose today's movie! I got all kinds of genres, with many different monsters. There is dream demons, there is masked slashers, there is ghosts and poltergeists, there is vampires, there is cars that eat people, there is dogs that eat people, there is aliens that I guess eat people? Oh, then there are psychic girls, possessed girls, murderer girls, murdered girls... and something weird about corn and children?"

I nod, already moving items onto the bed. "You do realize," I say, glancing at the girl, "That your list is quite extensive? Are these... mewvies really so elaborate?"

There's no way that's possible, right? All those things are totally impossible. Things that can never actually occur inside of a normal life. But, I suppose, neither Cesarina or I have ever really lived a normal life. We've each lived bafflingly different sort of lives, the girl in an ivory tower who can design a tank, and the girl in a school who can...

Well.

I certainly know what I can do.

"Some of those things seem really impossible, don't they? Ghosts? Dream demons? Vampires? None of those exist in natural life."
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Cheetose's Avatar
    Momoi Hisa

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz
    "Well... the Owl's Nest Hotel, of course,"

"There aren't any other place to stay in."
    I opened my mouth --- then I closed it. That...Made too much sense. Yet somehow, it makes me wonder if it is his first time here or if he is actually familiar with the town...How could he say it so naturally, with so much confidence otherwise? Well, at least this way it won't be too hard to find him.

Once he started preparing to leave, I was surprised yet again by how easily he moved around, despite his extremely fragile looking body. My eyes followed him as he was slowly starting to disappear into the distance, but then he turned around ---

Quote Originally Posted by Rosencrantz
    "... Oh. Yes,"

"Something I think I had to mention you. At least... I believe so."

"... There is an impostor among the people of Pinefall."
    Afterwards, as if it was just waiting for him to finish, a sudden gust sent a storm of leaves our way, blinding us for a moment; but it stopped right after, and with it, Rosencrantz was gone as well.

...There was just too much to take in. In just this short amount of a time, he presented so many riddles, yet out of them all, this last one was probably the biggest mystery.

After such a day, I was...tired, both physically and mentally. Yet what this strange man had just said made me forget about all of it.

It filled me with energy. It gave me purpose. The thrill of the hunt...The clues to be found, the puzzles to be solved, the feeling as the mystery slowly unfolds, and getting closer and closer to the solution...This is what makes me feel alive. Clearly, things will be just as difficult, considering how I barely know anything about anyone in town. I just wish she could be here with me...

I turned my attention to Elaine; she looked fairly excited. Even as she spoke, I could hear the genuine excitement in her voice...even the way behaved, it was kind of entertaining...I guess she really is more than just meets the eye and there is a playful and adventurous girl behind the cool looks.

She pulled the brim of her cap deeper into her face, and pretended to smoke on an imaginary pipe. Then, she set off back down the trail in a rather funny manner; I couldn't help but giggle as quickly went after her.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaine
    "Off to eat, I'm hungry!"
    "Sounds like a plan. I'm starting to regret that I didn't bring any snacks."

Walking behind her felt weird. No eye contact, no sense of equality...this just didn't feel right.

I quickly took my position on her left, then tried matching my pace with her so we would walk next to each other.

Alternating between watching the trail ahead of us and observing her face, I tried to strike up a conversation.

"So hey, what do you think about this impostor mystery? You seem to be pretty excited, do you actually want to investigate?"

Certainly, that is probably the topic that interests both of us the most. And maybe...

"Oh, and who was that guy you mentioned? If he is in town, I could help you look for him. I have some...expertise when it comes to things like this, I'd say."

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Anna Vandemeel

The sun had long set by the time Anna got back to the dormitory.

That diner was some good shit though.

Shane had eaten as a kid possessed. Not that Anna could blame him. The food had been pretty darn incredible. Better than any random diner food had any right to be. Pancakes, bacon, the syrup - all of it was damn incredible. Despite not being that hungry, Anna couldn’t help but eating a serving herself. The staff… eh. The owner, Avery, did give her bit of a side-eye when Anna came in with Shane but seemed to relent pretty easily when Anna gave a brief explanation of the situation. The copper-haired girl behind the counter, the owner's cousin or daughter probably, was less… welcoming. In fact, it almost felt as if…

A sigh of frustration escaped her lips.

Tch, what am I, the town psychologist? I thought I was the one who needed to be “fixed” in this place.

The frustration made her nearly bite through the toothpick that she was unconsciously chewing on. After dinner, she had walked the brat home. Not like she had much choice, considering how closely the kid was standing next to him on the way back. Almost as if he was afraid of the ethereal sounding harmonica that echoed across the town. Well, considering the hour it was somewhat in bad taste probably, but…

“The Ghost of a Sailor, huh?”

The black Casio watch on Anna’s wrist told her that it was exactly fifteen minutes to ten, as she opened the door to the Pinehall dorms. Apparently, the watch also had some timer mode or something of that sort, but Anna tried to touch it as little as possible. Not that she would admit it to anyone, but in reality, the Estonian girl was afraid that she would mess up the settings and would never get the blasted thing to ever work again. In any case, her timing should be fine. It was not late enough to miss curfew, but hopefully late enough that she wouldn’t have to deal with anyone else while going back to her room.

As expected, the ground floor was empty of all life, appearing almost abandoned. Sparing a quick glance at the empty hallway, Anna headed towards the staircase.

“Haa… time to pass out. No way have I got the motivation to do anything else tonight.”

Blog Entries
    Vier Wolf

While I was curious about Cathie, Aleen decided to dig into the pie wholeheartedly. Her face covered with her half of the cherry pie like some kind of crazy cannibal or zombie feasting on new fresh flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Owner
    "Well, not much to tell, to be honest. She's a good kid at heart, but she's a bit moody and tries her best with the whole 'I don't care about anything' attitude. Honestly, she used to be such a sweet kid growing up, I wonder where I went wrong...?"
    Seems like my assessment of Cathie was nearly on the mark. A good if a bit moody girl. There were probably a few more reasons why, but I would have to investigate a bit too much for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleen
    'A jerk is what she is'
    I took note of what Aleen said and how she was considerate (?) enough to lower her voice for the Owner not to hear her. I think it might be time to start a little early on Aleen’s behavior.

"It might be because she's got no friends of the same age in town, honestly. Of course, there are the Mitchell boys, but younger is still just a little punk while the older is a punk of the highest order. Jake and Tommy are a bit too old to hang around with her, and being former alumni of Pinefall they're hometown boys. Meanwhile, Cathie's gotten a taste of city life at Seattle so she's a bit restless, living out here in the sticks."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathie
    “Hmph!”
    I could sympathize with Cathie just a little bit. No friends. Taste of a different life before returning to your old life. It was almost like I looking at a younger version of me to a limited extent.

"See what I mean? The only girl her age around here would be the young heiress of the McLampets, or that Canadian weirdo hanging at Owl's Nest, but... well, the first one hasn't shown herself in fifteen years and Canadians are, well, Canadians."
    I was tempted to ask about what’s wrong with Canadians but I’m sure it’s one of those American things. Just like how France and Germany do not get along with each other. I couldn’t stand being in the general area of the snooty bastards.

“I think I understand Cathie to an extent. If she doesn’t mind, we could come by and talk to her.“

That’s right Aleen, I said “we.” This is going to be part of your rehabilitation and if I have my way, you’re going one way or another. Regardless I should continue on before she tries objecting.

”I’m sure we can interest her with some stories about the cities we’ve visited. Despite our appearances, Aleen used to travel all over America and I used to travel through most of Europe. If that doesn’t interest her, I’m sure we can find something we can all take about.”

Now to do Aleen’s emotional hardening.

“After all if bad first impressions were all it took, I probably wouldn’t even bother with people. Especially if the very first person I tried to talk to called me super rude and a weirdo with a single breath after I casually tried to start a conversation about them.”

I give Aleen an “innocent” smile and asked her a rhetorical question.

“Right Aleen?”

There's only one right answer. Since the other answer implicitly implies that I should've just ignored "said person." The shock should be manageable especially since it has such a good leading question.

Elaine Winters

"Ahh?"

I looked at Hisa a bit strangely, "Of course I want to investigate, what's better than a small town mystery, dark secrets and shady people and all that? It's practically the funnest thing in the world."

"As for what I think..." I brought my hand up to my chin in a thinking pose, "It could be anybody! It could be Gabi, that Finnish guy, that actress lady I saw on the bus, you..."

I smiled, "Even me."

I walked on for a couple breaths more, smile fading.

"Oh, and that guy I mentioned? Eh, don't worry about him," I waved a hand, "Old boyfriend, ditched me, heard a rumor he might'a been around up here somewhere, doin' this whole 'romantic drifter' thing, that I used to think was cool."

I made a face.

"Nothing that big of a deal, just some jackass think's he's God's gift, y'know? If he is still around up here, I'll give him what for. Nothin' I wanna bother somebody else with, that Rosencrantz guy seemed like a guy in the know, ah? So I figured, 'what the hell', I'll ask. Didn't expect much, but hey, ended up getting more than I expected, spooky mysteries and all!"

I decidedly did not mention the mysterious way Rosencrantz had decided to go on his way, or all of the peculiarities about him, nor did I mention Hisa's 'Jack', respecting her privacy.

"Anyway, I'm hankering for a nice, juicy steak, an' a nice Coke to go with it, maybe a burger, too..."

I hummed in thought, ambling along merrily.

Elise Pelltier

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Briggs
    "... Well, to be honest, you don't look so troubled as many of the kids in here? Then again, I guess you wouldn't be here if you weren't," Jake finally continued. "Hmm. Well, anyways, if you ever get troubled by more than old folktales and need someone to talk to, feel free to come talk to me. As I said, I might not about all that psychology stuff, but hey - I can at least listen to you gripe, right?"

Jake winked at Elise.
    "Eh, some days are better than others for me," admitted Elise with sigh, And some days are also worse than others.

"Thank you though, Jake," continued Elise, "I'll be sure to take you up on that offer whenever I need to gripe. It's always nice to have a friendly ear to talk to."

"Anyway, I shouldn't keep you from work any longer. Thanks again for the ghost stories and local history, and good luck with the dust busting!"

Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

It was odd, Lucille thought, to have someone look out for her in this manner. She was already used to something along those lines from the past, but for it to be done in such a frankly brazen and obnoxious manner, something she’d have to inevitably deal with in the future… Well, the situation was improper for her to sigh out of frustration. She’d have to find somewhat to deal with it, much like how Mercedes West was attempting to deal with her.

“Or do you?”
    “I suppose not,” Lucille replied, finding no fault in those words. People were unique—that was what made them wonderful and terrible all the same, and there was inevitably conflict between even the best of friends. Still, this was a bit… “People agree to disagree all the time.”

Mercedes finally gave her space—much needed space—and likewise, Lucille used it to regain a sense of calm.

"... But you sure as hell are trying to act like one. Only perfect people don't make mistakes. And ain't like no one out there who hasn't done a mistake."
    “Well, ‘poster girl,’ you understand, don’t you? Living up to lofty expectations.” Lucille said, not a hint of derision in her voice, despite her words. It just seemed hypocritical, that was all. The person talking to her was a public icon, burdened by expectations from the start, and likewise, Lucille was someone born into a similar position. She should know why it was important to pursue perfection, even if it was impossible. “People make mistakes, but there’s no harm in being careful.”

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart
    Pinefall High Dormitory - Cesarina's Room

Quote Originally Posted by Alexstrasza
    "Some of those things seem really impossible, don't they? Ghosts? Dream demons? Vampires? None of those exist in natural life."
    Cesarina snorted loudly.

"Well of course. That is the whole point!" she said while vacuuming the same square inch of the floor furiously. "All those things do not exist in real life, so we have to experience them through the magic of movies! If they were real they would be a real danger, something we would have to look out for in the real life... but as they are not, we can enjoy their antics and murderous ways through television and movies!"

Cesarina said this rather proudly, clearly thinking she had said something very profound. However, rather quickly she slowed her movement, adopting a more introspective expression on her face... a rarity, if any. Then she looked at Alexstrasza, something rather strange flashing in her eyes. It was the look of someone tired, or perhaps bored, or perhaps... something worse. But at any rate, it was an expression the girl had never shown the blonde before.

"Of course if they were not, well, dangerous, it would be a thrill to meet a supernatural being like that," Cesarina admitted. "Life can be dreadfully, woefully mundane at times. If something extraordinary like that would exist, it would be... well, it would show that there was more to life than what it is. More than... Uhn, sorry. I apologize. This is not very uplifting, is it? Let us just say that a meeting with the unthinkable could make life more than it is, and let us leave it at that."

Cesarina nodded to herself, almost like reaffirming some old, long-held belief she had.

"Well! Let us continue cleaning! The faster we are, the more movies I can show you!"

That quick moment of melancholy that had flashed within Cesarina was long gone now, replaced with her usual gusto and bravado. Honestly, it could have been just Alexstrasza's imagination. Looking at the green-haired girl now... it was absurd to think that she would have expressed any sort of dissatisfaction with how the world was.

But perhaps that small glimpse was part of why Cesarina was here, at Pinefall High.

... And so two hours flew by as the two girls tackled the insurmountable opponent that was the mess in Cesarina's room...

Vier Wolff

Quote Originally Posted by Vier
    “Right Aleen?”
    "He-GUBH!"

Having been taken completely off-guard by being accosted so suddenly, Aleen was found choking once again... this time in her half of the pie. Or, well, rather what was left of it. Most of the pie was now smeared all over the blue-haired girl's face. Showing surprising agility, Aleen jumped back on her seat and flailed her arms and legs around once more, looking like she was about to take off in a flight.

However, surprisingly, before Avery could even turn around and call for another glass of water, there was a loud thud of glass as a whole pint of clear liquid was slammed in front of Aleen, who dove into it to drink it down with one gulp. To the surprise of the owner and others around the table, Cathie had returned from the kitchen without anyone noticing... and had brought with her a huge jug of water just for a situation like this.

As Aleen continued to chug the water like it was air, the brunette rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"... What are you, six? Try not to chewing before you swallow," she said, her voice low but strong enough to hear. "... You look absolutely ridiculous like that."

Aleen threw her a dirty glare but finished her water all the same.

"Pwaaahh!" She exclaimed. "U-urgh... well, sor-ry! It's not like meant to do that! I was... I was just surprised, s'all!"

For a moment the two girls glared daggers at each other. However, as if she did not realize this... or perhaps because she just ignored it, Avery Walker clapped her hands together once and beamed a big smile to all three of them. It was the expression of someone who was going to forcibly move this conversation forward even if someone tried to interrupt or interject her.

"That's a wonderful idea! I bet you two have lots of stories to tell, and I'm sure Cathie wouldn't mind showing you two around now that she's... taking a break from school," Avery spoke, putting some hidden meaning to the last part. "Tell you what, if you do that I'll be sure to save one pie for the two of you each day. I bet it'd be a nice bonus after all that school cafeteria food."

"Really!?" Aleen practically jumped out of her seat having heard that, only to slump back in slight embarrassment. "I-I mean... err, sure. Whatevs. I guess we can do that."

The only one who didn't look especially happy was Cathie Walker herself, who just gave a good look to both Vier and Aleen. Then, with slight irritation on her face, she shrugged listlessly.

"... Ugh. Whatever," she said and headed back to the kitchen, slamming the door close behind her.

And while Avery Walker smiled at this scene as if she saw nothing wrong, Aleen gave Vier a rather meaningful look.

One that seemed to say:

... Are we really going to do something so bothersome?

Vier Wolff: Friendship Rank Raised!

Elise Pelltier

"Anyway, I shouldn't keep you from work any longer. Thanks again for the ghost stories and local history, and good luck with the dust busting!"
    "Yeah.... gonna need that alright. You wouldn't believe how much dust stuffed animals can gather when they're not taken care of," Jake chuckled and made a self-strangling gesture. "I swear they're mad when they think I can take care of this whole place alone... but, eh, I can't complain. At least they pay me handsomely."

Dusting off his cargo pants, Jake made one last lazy stretch before he had gathered enough energy to return to his job. He took few steps towards the school, turned around and gave a wave to Elaine, showing her a one last languid smile. While this silver-haired youth might have been taking the life at his own pace, he didn't seem like a bad person. A bit slow at points, perhaps, but there seemed to be a sense of integrity within him, wanting to do right by the school and its students.

"You got any more questions, or if you just wanna hear more stories, catch me on a break or something," Jake said. "Always happy to share local folklore and what-not. God knows someone needs to keep these stories alive. Plus it gives you something to scare your classmates with when you inevitable sneak out of your beds to break curfew because... I mean, you're all teens. That curfew is just begging for you guys to break it, especially when some of you people start dating."

And with one final chuckle, Jake headed out towards the school, ready to take on whatever dust bunnies and monsters it had in store for him.

Elise Pelltier: Friendship Rank Raised!

Lucille Faraday

"Oh gawd, do I?" Mercedes answered and gave an exasperated sigh, before slapping her thighs. "You know how much I've tried to get these things to, like, slim down for some roles? But noooo, here we still are, thunder-thighs and all. Gets ridiculous, I tells you. So you're not, like, wrong there. Everybody makes mistakes, everybody screws up. Ain't nothing to cry over. Just gotta pick ourselves up or whatevs, and continue. So the way I sees it, it's alright to try to be perfect, as long as you geddit that we ain't ever gonna be it. Even if we look this ri-di-cu-lously good as we good."

As if to emphasize her words, Mercedes gave Lucille a sarcastic grin and slapped her own behind so that a loud sound echoed in the showers. Her eyes were also glued to the blonde girl's body in a way that... didn't exactly feel safe. Not in the way that one might've expected, but more in the way that a rich person like her might have looked at a piece of art.

Punctuating her words with a haughty laugh, Mercedes walked over to another shower and turned it on, finally getting to washing the grime from their game off of her. Perhaps there was a bit more to it than that, though. Especially now a refreshing shower felt good, for various reasons. Cleaning the air a bit, cleaning the atmosphere some, even cleaning up the words that had been shared... feeling a bit fresher now was a welcome change.

"Bee-tee-dubs, don't expect to me get this deep and shit ever again," Mercedes said as she focused on applying shampoo on her hair. "Ain't like me, being all serious and whatevs. I leave that to eggheads. I'd rather just live, like, a simple life and leave it at that."

From within the torrent of water, those surprisingly insightful eyes of the actress turned to stare at Lucille once more. But this time, they were... surprisingly jovial, almost a little happy.

"But if you ain't got, like, anything better to do I don't mind shooting shit with you after this," Mercedes aid. "I mean gawd! I need to clear my head after all this heavy shit. Why don't we hit my room next? I need a hard drink and you can... I dunno, what'cha drink? Shots? Pina Colada? Juice? Never hanged 'round with a straight-laced gal like you, so you gotta help me out here. A-ny-ways, I'mma need to repaint my nails and chat 'bout boys or something. Think we got any cute ones even here? The janitor's sorta hot, but a bit too intelligent for me. Gonna need one or two to wrap 'round my finger to feel at home. Oh, there's an idea! You help me out pick a sucker or two, and I'll doll you up tomorrow so you'll really turn some heads!"

It was a rather... Mercedes-like thing to suggest: nasty, self-centered, completely uncaring of others. But the actual truth came out when looking at the starlet's face. On her face was a self-derisive grin that seemed to mock her very own words. Like someone who knew that she was expected to say things like these, so she went out and said them... but also showed Lucille that she didn't mean most of it. Oh, she would probably do it, sure, but only because it was the type of thing girls like her did.

The real intention was what could be found by reading between the lines.

What was important wasn't what Mercedes wanted to do, but rather...

... The simple fact that she wanted to spend time with Lucille.

"Oh, and, uh, Faraday?"

What was with this sudden carefulness in the voice that was always sure of itself?

"... Mind if I call you Lucy or whatevs?"

It was an odd relationship that was forming, yes, but... that was to be expected. After all, Mercedes West didn't exactly seem to know how normal human relationships worked.

Lucille Faraday: Friendship Rank Raised!

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

"Well of course. That is the whole point! All those things do not exist in real life, so we have to experience them through the magic of movies! If they were real they would be a real danger, something we would have to look out for in the real life... but as they are not, we can enjoy their antics and murderous ways through television and movies!"

Ah.

This is a really sad person before me. A person who really does belong in this school, and that tender appreciation of things outside of our own viewpoints is something I've long since lost. It's not through any fault of hers or mine, really; it's simply the way it works. I do not come from a background as upper-class as Cesarina Feroce, and yet I am one of the elite in spite of all that. Her love of things that don't exist surpasses mine, but it's because of our differences that I can't help but want to tell her. I can't help but want to reveal it to her, because... There's only one place that a person like me truly belongs --

"Of course if they were not, well, dangerous, it would be a thrill to meet a supernatural being like that. Life can be dreadfully, woefully mundane at times. If something extraordinary like that would exist, it would be... well, it would show that there was more to life than what it is. More than... Uhn, sorry. I apologize. This is not very uplifting, is it? Let us just say that a meeting with the unthinkable could make life more than it is, and let us leave it at that."

-- and that's the turnside of the world. But... I can't taint her innocence. This purity, this hope that she has towards things that don't exist, like ghosts, demons, and vampires... All of them are viewed with naivety of a child, who hasn't ever seen the horrors that can befall even the most peaceful of inhabitants. Reality is a shattered mirror already, and to break it even further is to risk everything.

I pick up a sketchbook of Cesarina's, staring blankly at it. The supernatural is closer then she ever knows, and yet its still so far away at the same time. To walk that mirrored fragment of reality is to walk with death and despair trailing at every footstep. Demons, to her, are a fantasy, something scary to be whispered about to friends underneath the covers, and shake your head as you cling to one another, thanking the heavens themselves they don't exist.

That is not what demons are to me.

"The supernatural could be closer then you think."

It's a whisper, that comes out of my mouth, as I stare at her sketchbook, before snapping free and a small, sad smile comes onto my face before I place it gently on her bed. There is a fact of this school that I now attend, even if it is not of my own free will.

This is a waste of my time.

Nobody here will ever understand me.

To reveal myself to them is to be the matron to their ever-encroaching despair as they realize that the simple, pleasant world they live in cannot exist, and that death awaits at every corner. I cannot nurture them. I cannot guide them. That is not the sort of person I am. But even so...

In some part of my blackened, empty soul, I look at the innocence that is Cesarina with envy. At one time, I too could think like that. And it was stolen from me by the burdens thrust on my back, until they towered higher then even I could see when I looked at my reflection on the water.

"Well! Let us continue cleaning! The faster we are, the more movies I can show you!"

I move things, mechanically.

I walk around the few free inches in Cesarina's room, mechanically.

This is a waste of time.

I came here with a mission.

I was distracted from it.

This entire event is because I was weak enough to think that companionship was worth the distraction. That I was arrogant enough to think that I could simply relax, when the task ahead of me is of such monumental importance.

This is a waste of time.

And yet... I can't help but want to waste my time a little bit longer.
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Alex's Room

Phase
    :
    Evening Phase
    ---

"Like me... I have wounds... not normal... it's okay to keep secret..."

The typical bland Vivienne delivery mixed with such a sympathising statement obviously made for a hard understanding of how genuine those words were... but her unfaltering gaze surely added a degree of involvement and meaning behind these words spoken so indifferently.

"I come here... to hope I can... maybe... show emotions again... properly..."

Vivienne stayed silent moment, looking up as if lost deep in thought. She was most likely gauging something, perhaps weighing if she needed to tell Alex what she was about to tell him, or perhaps, how much of her own story was worth listening.

"As said... I was actress... but since three years... I not normal anymore... but then what is 'normal'?"

Vivienne gave a pat on Alex's shoulder this time. Though she did not smile nor did not give the French girl a stare filled with camaraderie and empathy, the way she did pat suggested something along the lines of: 'we're in this together'. Well, that would certainly be what the scene gave an impression of at least...

"But... mysterious case... Mc Lampets... you think infighting?"

As she asked the question, Vivienne scooched closer to Alex as if to see what exactly was that watch, most likely curious on what were its origins.

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Two hours later a girl with green hair and face like dried-up anchovy collapsed on the now mess-free bed.

"Uuugh... never again I say," Cesarina grumbled, completely exhausted. "Next time, I shall most definitely buy a warehouse of my own in a town I move into!"

A rather bold statement, but understandable. After all the last two hours hadn't been easy for the two of them. First, there had been piling the stuff up on the bed so they could vacuum the room. This was a fine idea in itself, but by the time the pile Alexstrasza had made reached 3 meters in height, the laws of physics took over and the whole thing toppled over Cesarina leaving behind but faint echoes of Italian curses. This set them back at least half an hour as the blonde had to mount yet another rescue operation to dig up the heiress. Then, once the two of them actually got to the portion of the job where they would set the stuff so that it wouldn't be in the way - and would be in the right place, another problem cropped up.

Namely... Cesarina's absolutely bonkers way of categorizing things.

There had been too many cases of "No, no, the pens go with the model tanks up on that window sill!" and "Please sort the uniforms by the year of their camouflage design, not by their color" to count, which hampered the process in definite way. But even through that the two of them had drudged on, until slowly but surely the room had started to resemble something closer to a habitable space than a landfill. The final piece had been putting the small television set on her desk, setting up the antennas so they caught a whiff of some nearby television station and connecting it to the VHS player she had also brought with her.

But alas, it had been too much. Cesarina had ran out of steam just at the last stretch, and now languidly lazed on the bed.

"Go ahead, Zaza... you pick the movie," Cesarina said, snuggling against Benito and pointing at the five VHS tapes on the table. "I tried to pick only classics that even a novice of novices such as you could try out without trouble. So, pick whatever strikes your fancy! Just take the tape from inside and insert it into the player over there."

Thus had the responsibility of tonight's movie choice been saddled with Alexstrasza. And the choices were...
    1. Gremlins
    2. Evil Dead 2
    3. Children of the Corn
    4. Poltergeist
    5. Child's Play

... What to pick, what to pick...

Blog Entries
    Vivienne Bianchi

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienne
    "But... mysterious case... Mc Lampets... you think infighting?
    Alex, clearly somewhat secretly relieved that she got to move onto other topics for now, nodded and began to talk once more with that professional tone of hers that she seemed to use whenever the talk was about cases or mysteries. This allowed Vivienne a peek of the Alex was holding... which turned out to be just an ordinary pocket watch. Well, maybe not completely ordinary as it seemed to have a rather nasty-looking gash right in the center of it, the glass was cracked and the clock itself seemed... stopped.

Wait, a stopped clock? Then why did Alex look at it almost as if she checked the time from it?

"Perhaps. At least initially I had that hypothesis. The disappearance of the eldest McLampet sibling is a mystery that intrigues the most, especially when we consider what happened to the rest. The middle siblings died, one in a car crash and one due to unfortunate complications in her surgery. This was not long after the eldest sibling had claimed someone was after his life, after which he skipped the town and disappeared. And lastly, the youngest McLampet child... the one who sought to inherit everything after the death of his siblings. A very obvious culprit were it not for the fact that he, too, disappeared... only this time, he was said to have walked into the forest and never returned, leaving behind a widow and a fatherless child," Alex explained in an even, matter-of-fact tone. "Unlike rest of the siblings, there have been some hints here and there of the whereabouts of the eldest McLampet sibling. In other words, he is alive... but refuses to inherit the saw and the logging rights? Why? Something definitely had him spooked. The threat to his life was strong enough that he couldn't risk the riches even if they were right at his fingertips."

Suddenly, Alex rose up, a far-away, thinking look in her eyes. She started pacing back and forth in the room, slowly, creating a path in the slightly dusty carpet. It was as if Vivienne's questions had activated the detective and the reporter within the blonde, who was now completely absorbed in her own theories.

"Then there are the similarities between what I was investigating back then and what has befallen McLampet family," Alex continued. "Nothing that a medical team or forensics team would notice, but when compared together they all have a rather peculiar coincidence that ties them together. Namely that all those deaths, for better or for worse... were impossible."

Whipping around on her heels, Alex ended up staring straight at Vivienne.

"Mademoiselle Bianchi, tell me: Do you believe in the impossible?"

Blog Entries
    Alexstrasza Lockhart

Cleaning Cesarina's room took entirely too long, with multiple escapades of the girl falling on her bed and announcing that she had 'completely given up', telling me to "go on without her," and only through copious amounts of increasingly ludicrous begging, as well as the aid of Benito, were we able to finish.

This does not include the amount of time spent with her explaining to me her bizarre and perplexing storage scheme.

But, a job worth doing is a job done well, right?

Isn't that what you always said, teacher?

But even as the first arduous task was done, the second began. Choosing a movie that Cesarina and I could enjoy. Staring blankly at the names, I did not understand why on earth even a 'novice of novices' such as myself would ever desire to watch anything with such strange and baffling names. I reach out a hand to pick one, then take it back.

Poltergeist. Child's Play. Gremlins. Evil Dead 2. Children of the Corn. What on earth could these names possibly mean?

A poltergeist is a spirit of chaos and destruction, a ghost that has no 'original body'.

Child's play is what children do, right?

Gremlins are obnoxious tiny creatures like goblins, I think?

Evil Dead 2 must be about necromancy.

Children of the Corn... Even I have no idea how corn could be scary. Intriguing.

I select it, picking it up and putting it into the 'VCR' that Cesarina claimed it was called, pressing the button. Retreating swiftly, I grab a pillow and sit on her bed next to her, hugging it around my chest, with only my nose and eyes peering over the top.

"Children of the Corn," I muse, glancing at the girl, "It must be about a group of kids and their desire for some sort of confectionery treat, right? Like cakes, or the matron's bread that she only made once a week when the dormitory hadn't cruelly stolen her weapons so that we could navigate the halls in peace without her attacking us."
    Last edited by Frantic Author; January 20th, 2019 at 01:56 PM.

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES