Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 155560636465
Results 1,281 to 1,290 of 1290

Thread: Astronomika - Shooting Down Falling Stars (IC)

Blog Entries
    John Dove
    Phase: Morning Phase
    Date: 10.09.1994 (SAT)
    Weather: Overcast

Quote Originally Posted by John
    “I don´t recognize where the name ‘Coastrise’ comes from; it doesn´t sound East Asian like your first names. It is very unusual.”
    Zhou giggled at the question and shook her head.

"Oh, it's not East Asian~" she replied, eyes fascinated by the turned off TV rather than John. "It's our Papa's last name~ He's American, you know~ So that would make half of our genetical make-up that of the people of United States of America~"

It... did explain something. However the way Zhou put it just made the explanation sound slightly off, slightly weird. She did, in an afterthought, add that she didn't mind John using her first name though. The more one talked with this bespectacled girl, the easier it was to see that her brains didn't exactly seem to work on the same wave-length as those of the people around her. Whereas Yeong-Hui was muted and wary, whereas Minato was standoffish and brusque, Zhou herself was... well, not-quite-there. In other words, a stereotypical airhead.

However, as if to continue the conversation, Minato was the next one to speak.

"... Yeah. We got the name from our Papa," he explained. "Our first names we got from where we were born. Papa liked the theme, I guess. He's weird like that."

At the mention of this all three siblings, even the happy-go-lucky Zhou, suddenly slumped their shoulders and a well-coordinated sigh escaped from their lips. It was like watching three people who were reliving some quite awkward trauma that wasn't enough to actually make things sad or uncomfortable, but was still a sore spot to talk about... because it was somewhat embarrassing.

"My Mama was Chinese~" Zhou explained, being the first one to talk.

"My Mama was Japanese," Minato added, being the second one to talk.

"... My Mama was Korean..." Yeong-Hui concluded, being the third one to talk.

They all shook their heads. This was something they had clearly gone through many, many times, and it never got any easier.

"Ahaha~" Zhou chuckled, scratching the back of her head awkwardly. "Papa a certain interest, I guess~"

"Fetish you mean," Minato commented, rolling his eyes angrily. "The guy was into East Asian women."

"... Womanizer..." Yeong-Hui said with a nod. "... Men are all wolves..."

----------- So there it was.

The answer to the mystery of the strange names that each of the siblings had. It wasn't that they were named with some sort of odd intent, or that their last name was actually a foreign word that simply sounded natural to an English-speaking person. It wasn't even that they had chosen their own names, whether it be the first name or the last name.

The answer was very simple, but that made it even more awkward.

"Our Papa was three-timing all our mothers..."

That came in perfect unison, a synchronized condemnation of the person that was their father.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Prushka

They hate it? What's with these kids? Are they that sore about being told to shape up? Or maybe it's just too quiet of a place for them. Too clean, too simple, too traditional. For someone used to the busy streets and sticking it to The Man, somewhere like this might feel alienating.

But I can't know for sure. This is only what the books and movies say.

I sip on the cola until it hurts my teeth, and then swallow it down at once. And then, since I was just subjected to that, I pass along a head pat to Xylia while she's busy sucking on her di - straw. Straw! "Is it really that bad here? Road's End is quiet and there's a lot of nature and some really dark stories and everyone I've met so far has been pretty nice. It feels like a lot of the awful stuff going on in the big cities just passed by here."

I'm sure the humans here are awful as well, but at the very least it feels like they're not as effected by society's awfulness.

"Or is where you all came from just that much better?"

Where would Xylia be from, that her friends could just ride down to visit?

men are men; the best sometimes forget Katie's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Lucille Faraday

Lucille Faraday came from a household where she was mostly praised. Lightly reprimanded, sometimes, but for the most part, Lucille was used to a smattering of platitudes like “polite,” “well-behaved,” “kind,” and any other positive moral behavior. That was her. The best, most model daughter anyone could ever ask for.

“Adorable” was not in this list of praise, at least not like this, and Lucille could hear the echo of Sakura’s teasing laughter in the back of her mind. That imaginary sound made Lucille both more incensed and more embarrassed, to the point where she hastily grabbed a notebook off the shelves and held it up to her face, pretending to peruse its blank pages for who knows what.

In the end, though, she realized the futility of this terrible charade, and decided to address the problem at its source, with her usual, direct manner.

“Please don’t tease me like that!”
    [Feb/Wed/04|07:00:04] <Lianru> it's ok with each stalker call I feel like we get a little closer
    [Feb/Wed/04|07:00:06] <Lianru> never give up

asians before testing week

Blog Entries
    Colt Davin

“...You two bellboys are nice. Want some juice? I got lots.”

“Oh, yeah sure. Than… ks.”

Potato flavor.

Colt did a double take. Turning the box around and inspecting the back. To his bewilderment this was no failure of literacy. He had been handed a box of potato flavored juice.

A creeping sense of worry arose at the thought of the juice box’s contents. But even more worrying, was the curiosity nibbling away at that worry. In just three seconds he had gone from shocked and moderately grossed out, to genuinely interested in trying the juice.

“Thanks for the assist, man,” a voice speaking directly into his ear pulled Colt out of his thoughts, “Really helped me just now….”

“No problem.” Stabbing the plastic straw into the juice box, Colt glanced over and took a sip.

Potato flavor juice.

Much to the surprise of nobody, it had the taste of potato. And sugar. Sugary potato liquid. A strange taste, much like it was strange how John Dove’s voice faded into nothing right in his ear. But also pretty nice, sort of like John. Or at least, like the first impression John had given. Because that first impression was all Colt had of him.

“That…might just be the second—no, third most incredible thing I’ve ever seen.”

Still sucking away at his potato juice, Colt looked over at the incredible thing.

“The shrimp is uh… you know, I don’t think I can ever take her seriously. Not after seeing that thing. Sucks, cause she seems to be pretty alright.”

The straw returned to the mouth. For some reason, he just couldn’t stop. It was like someone had sprinkled confection sugar over French fries, then made him drink it. It should be terrible, but he just couldn’t take his lips off the straw.

"Hey, Colt. Is that offer still open for a day out?"

“!?”

The juice box caved into a mess. Bulging eyes shot over to spot the voice he hadn’t heard for a while. The voice asking the question he never thought he’d hear. The parting words of John Dove never reached his ears.

“Y-y-y-y-“

The sheer shock rendered him incapable of speech. Stutter after stutter, until finally Colt shot a hand to his mouth and forced it shut.

Taking a deep breath through his nose…

“Yeah!” Hell yeah! Absolutely. Definitely. Yeah. For sure. Where ya wanna go? The beach? The woods? The beach? The store? The beach? The mountain? The beach?”

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Pinefall High Dormitory—Common Room
    Morning Phase
    Overcast

“…I see. Well, it does not seem to have impeded your relationship with your father, in any case.”

If Minato’s way of addressing him and Yeong-Hui’s longing for the man amount to anything, that is. Furthermore, at first glance it does not seem in any way connected to how they ended up at Pinefall. In any case, perhaps another person would have apologized for bringing up the issue. John merely accepted the information and moved on…not quite.

“Wait, do you have more siblings, or did all three Coastrise siblings happen to end up here at Pinefall?”

His attention then focuses on Zhou.

“Would you rather I turn on the TV for you, Zhou?” He speaks between sips of his unconventional juice. “Not that I know if there is anything interesting at this hour.”

Progressive Shattering Kuroyuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Vier Wolff

Now that I could actually look at him, I started taking in as many details as possible. He was roughly around my age. While I heard that he was impassive, I took note that he was very much in control of his body and emotions. If I deceived people by throwing on various masks to fit my area, then he was a person who wore a single unchanging mask. And he kept that mask up while he took a nice, long drink from his coffee.

Eventually, his eyes narrowed at my seemingly uncaring smile. I’m sorry am I supposed to be intimidated by your narrowed eyes? Buttering a piece of toast would probably be a bit more intimidating considering that you are a close quarters expert. At that thought, I noticed him move his legs in my peripheral view. It wasn’t anything worth worrying about. It was just him crossing his legs. Then finally he raised the newspaper between us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicking Bastard
    "... Wrong person."
    “Is that so… In that case, I guess I should move away from you.”

I placed a slightly confused tone to my voice as well as a look of confusion before getting up to move to a different table.

“Because I heard that someone similar to you was being watched by a watchdog. And I don’t want to get caught into it when it bites.”

Overly devoted enthusiasm... fufufu~ Ayakashi's Avatar
    ---
    Vivienne Bianchi

Phase
    :
    Morning Phase
    ---

Vivienne Bianchi had ended up here, sandwich and coffee in hand somehow. Maybe that she was not really awake or sleep walking? As she sat down on a bench, Vivienne looked skywards, entranced by the grey clouds above. Her eyes never left the clouded sky as she took a bite in the sandwich she had taken from the cafeteria, nor when she took a sip of the cup of hot chocolate she had also taken from there.

Daydreaming? The most likely explanation to what she was doing here, but then maybe that she hoped that she would find a silent place where she could relax before the day would start.

But... would fate let her have such a luxury now, was the question?

The sports field at any rate was what felt like the closest sanctum of quietness, perhaps carrying with it the allure of being deserted at such an early hour -- Vivienne was no stranger to how dedicated some people would be, but it was most likely that she hoped that with such a weather looming over head, and the fact that it was Saturday, people might just feel like... taking a good rest.

Perhaps a bit of an optimistic hope, if that was the case.
    Last edited by Ayakashi; Yesterday at 03:23 AM.

Elise Pelltier

Sakura arrived, and ushered them into the kitchen. She tossed an apron at Elise which she pulled on, and set about collecting ingredients from the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura
    "Can one of you heat up the pan? Sprinkle some olive oil on top before you do though. We don't want this thing to stick to it, and if the other could start mincing this onion, that'd be lovely. I'll start the rest of the prep work for an omelette. I guess... we're gonna need enough for the three siblings and ourselves... maybe John too if he poor guy gets roped into playing a host... maybe for one or two more just in case anyone wants seconds..."
    Sakura delivered her marching orders, and Elise was quick to follow them, egged on by the promise of breakfast.

“I'll get the onions!” volunteered Elise.

The cruelest vegetable, thought Elise as she collected several large onions and set them by the sink, I wouldn't want to condemn someone else to the tortures of chopping them.

"... I can't even be annoyed with them, considering I sorta get their situation. Especially if they are students who are supposed to be here. After all, the empty rooms did make me wonder if somebody was missing, but for it to be three siblings... well, I suppose stranger things have happened."
    “Just what is their situation?” asked Elise as she collected a knife and cutting board, “Alexstrasza and I were late to whatever that was by the front door and missed most of that brouhaha. Are they other students no one's been told anyone about? Did they just show up expecting admission?”

I suppose Xylia showed up somewhat unannounced too, depending on who you ask.

Elise set her cutting board down by the sink, and placed the knife down on top of it. She washed her hands, and then set about pulling the brown outermost layer of the onion, and discarding them in the sink and placing each skinned onion aside on the cutting board.

"Oh, and sorry for dragging you two into this mess. Don't worry, I just need a pair of extra hands. I'm not gonna make you two cook anything too complicated. Maybe brew some coffee because I sure as all heck am gonna need it."
    “No worries! I hadn't thought much beyond breakfast yet anyway.”

Elise shot a glance at the coffee machine. She had to admit, the stuff was beginning to grow on her, even if she ended up with a concoction that was mostly milk and sugar at the end. She looked back to Sakura, with clear signs of exhaustion on her face.

“You sure as all heck do look like you're going to need it, Sakura. You don't look like you've slept since Wednesday. Everything alright?” asked Elise.

Just what has been keeping you up at night? she wondered.

With the last of the onions skinned, Elise went to the cutting board, and prepared to chop the onion, steeling herself for her impending suffering.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Elise Pelltier & Alexstrasza Lockhart

"Alright, let's get this over with."

Snapping my book shut, I look upwards, following Sakura inside with a smile, lazily twirling a hand before I reply to Elise's question. "Nothing all that interesting. Just some ancient history."

I move. It's a spring in my step, a faint smile on my lips, that really sells the image. Breathe. Move. Let go. It's a process, to reaffirm my mask, but it's not something so impossible for me to do.

Placing the apron around myself, I move to heat up the pan, returning the book to my pocket. It's with an easy grace that I turn the oven on, lazily opening the olive oil and pouring a bit onto the pan. It sizzles, at first, swirling around in the blackened steel, before stilling, inertly staying on the pan.

"It's not so much trouble," I murmur, more to myself then to Sakura as I peer at the oil. "I've assuredly done worse things then this."

The two girls chatter away, clearly having a conversation and connection that I will never manage to achieve, no matter how long I stay at the academy. I am not the sort of person who connects with others, let alone truly bonds with others. I'm a monster pretending to be human, with all the sorrows that entails. Mercedes is right, in the end. I'm simply fake, down to the very core of my being. A fake human, a fake monster, a fake mage, a fake student, a fake teacher, a fake child.

Although one may profess to understand the nature of humankind, it's true essence is beyond even the wisest of our species' reach. That quintessential part, the thing that makes a person 'human', is not so easily reached, is it?

Breathe.

Smile.

Let go.

My ears hear of Sakura's tiredness, and my mind races to connect the dots. I have only ever spent the night awake here on a single occasion, and that was for a purpose. What on Earth could the girl being do all night?

After all, she's here alone at a school.

Wait.

I've read about such things before!

"My my, Sakura," I say, leaning against the stove as I absentmindedly twirl my hair. "Have you perhaps found that... quintessential, high school romance?"

A girl, alone in the world, who is simply kind to others. A boy, similarly alone, who understands others.

It's a tale as old as time. I nod, having finally understood the girl in front of me a little better.

"It's not good to sneak out every night to meet with a lover, you know," I lightly admonish her with dancing eyes, finally having found some center in this place that I now reside. "Without sleep, how can you two dream that singular dream together?"
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it
    [01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

Elaine Winters

The blonde girl puffed out a small breath, "Yep, just a chronic case of needing to save people, that's me," She rolled her eyes, "Most of the time it's nothing but trouble."

As for languages...

She shrugged, "Never been anywhere farther than Western Europe, all I got that I considered worth a shot was French or Spanish, never been in any situations where anything from Asia was very useful."

Sometimes it was rather counter-productive, even.

Elaine closed her eyes for a moment, humming in thought, "Janitor, huh? Might be worth a shot, maybe. Especially if he's seen rosters, records 'n such, but you'd need a pretty good reason, unless he likes to play fast and loose."

She flopped an arm in the air, "Eh, whatever, I'm looking into something else in the meantime, but nothing solid yet, gotta meet up with a guy later, we're working something out."

The blonde girl paused for a moment, considering, "I've also been thinking about looking into that hospital down the way, because, just between you an' me..."

She sucked on her teeth for a moment, considering her still-eating charge.

"Girlie there had a torn-up hospital gown on when I found her in the street last night, maybe it's just my rustic sensibilities," She said with a sarcastic lit, "But when terrified little girls are running away from hospitals, scarred to hell and terrified of strangers, I get concerned."