Thread: A Fairy Tale of Love and Death ("Fate/Stay Night" one-shot)

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar

A Fairy Tale of Love and Death ("Fate/Stay Night" one-shot)

Last edited by SpoonyViking; October 29th, 2021 at 09:04 AM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can't believe I never thought of pitting Scathach and King Hassan against each other before. Given one craves death against a worthy opponent and one takes the duty of enforcing death on those who strayed from it, it's such an obvious pairing. That aside this is really an awesome fic. The prose is outstanding throughout. It really reads like some ancient epic, which is obviously the vibe you were shooting for.

One minor question. Is there any special meaning to Bergelmir, the alias KH takes when introducing himself to Scathach? Googling it gets me a frost giant from Norse Mythology, so I'm curious if you picked that name for any symbolic reason or you just liked the way it sounded.

Blog Entries
    You know, Spoony, if there's one thing you're good at, it's 1v1 duels between Servants--or maybe just Scatty, what, between this and the one with her and Cu

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't mind if the fan-fic thread go revived with little one-shots like these, or a day in the life of runaway fiore, or something

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    This was King Hassan? Man, I feel stupid for not realizing it at first. But yeah, love the whole epic poetry style of writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What happened after their fight is unknown.
    And then they kissed? Made love??? Pls tell me.

I really enjoyed reading this fic, both in proofreading it and in reviewing it now. It is beautifully written, and I really admire the conciseness with which you can tell a story. As the story itself points out, we want what we cannot do or be, often.

I read it all the way through and didn't realize it was Hassan either, oops. Didn't detract from me liking this dynamic, though. It is sort of poignant to me (of course, me) that it emulates the meeting and, uh, 'peacemaking' between Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Really glad you all liked! Thanks for all the kind words! :-)

The original version was going to be much more overt that Bergelmir is actually an alias for King Hassan because of his speech patterns (Scáthach would also have a slight Scottish accent), but TwilightsCall pointed out that writing a standard-style dialogue broke the narrative flow set by the beginning; it's why the current version also has a lot more indirect speech, to "sound" in the same way oral stories tend to once written down.

As for the significance behind "Bergelmir", he's one of the giants who survived the flood,* like Noah... ...or Ziusudra. :-)

* Though his was a flood of blood gushing forth from Ymir's corpse, because the Norse are hardcore like that!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    And then they kissed? Made love??? Pls tell me.
    Well, this is just MY take on it, but let's just say my main inspiration was the tale of two orishas from the Afro-Brazilian and Yoruba religions, Ogun (the man) and Oba (the woman), two warriors who duel fiercely, make love, and then go their separate ways. :-)