View Poll Results: See Post.

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 59.09%
  • Nah

0 0%
  • If other people did it, I'd jump on the bandwagon.

9 40.91%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Fanfiction Recs

Jaenera has always been kinda "eh" for me. Their writing quality isn't bad but holy cow you'd better be a hardcore Sakura fan if you read their stuff. Honestly I dropped them just because of how infuriating his Sakura is.

Also their latest fic was indeed NTR fetishbait. Not to mention it always annoys me when fanfiction.net authors make "sequels" to their currently unfinished works.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by Eru Erufu View Post
    Jaenera has always been kinda "eh" for me. Their writing quality isn't bad but holy cow you'd better be a hardcore Sakura fan if you read their stuff. Honestly I dropped them just because of how infuriating his Sakura is.

Also their latest fic was indeed NTR fetishbait. Not to mention it always annoys me when fanfiction.net authors make "sequels" to their currently unfinished works.
    Not just that but always a big issue with Jaenera's Sakura is how she's always written as doing stuff that is either blatantly impossible from an in-universe perspective (at least for stories that are pure Nasuverse) or that Jaenera often embiggens Sakura so that she never really messes up, even when she messes up.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    Not just that but always a big issue with Jaenera's Sakura is how she's always written as doing stuff that is either blatantly impossible from an in-universe perspective (at least for stories that are pure Nasuverse) or that Jaenera often embiggens Sakura so that she never really messes up, even when she messes up.
    Yeah, I remember a scene in Blessing in Disguise where Sakura just pulled a meal out of a gemstone. I usually give authors a lot of slack when it comes to Nasuverse magecraft as I don't fully understand it as well (and neither does Nasu, sometimes) but that ruined my suspension of disbelief.

That said, if they can get over their massive Sakuraboner I could see them writing some decent to good stuff. Despite how odd it was I actually found Skater!Sakura to be funny in a good way.

Yeah, I remember a scene in Blessing in Disguise where Sakura just pulled a meal out of a gemstone. I usually give authors a lot of slack when it comes to Nasuverse magecraft as I don't fully understand it as well (and neither does Nasu, sometimes) but that ruined my suspension of disbelief.
    Yeah I can see how that would ruin your disbelief. And of course, I suspect it was done to rub Jaenera!Sakura's superiority or something over canon Rin, nevermind that it's impossible to do I imagine.

That said, if they can get over their massive Sakuraboner I could see them writing some decent to good stuff. Despite how odd it was I actually found Skater!Sakura to be funny in a good way.
    Skater!Sakura?
    Last edited by warellis; September 18th, 2019 at 10:58 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Can't Sakura store lunches in Imaginary Number space anyways?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Honestly everytime I get just that more desperate for Sakura fanfics I consider reading her stuff.

And then I see literally nothing good said about her fanfics and what goes on in them, and I go back into the corner, staring at my pile of unfinished ideas.

Just don't read bad fanfics, my dudes.

Desperation removes common sense.

Yeah I can see how that would ruin your disbelief. And of course, I suspect it was done to rub Jaenera!Sakura's superiority or something over canon Rin, nevermind that it's impossible to do I imagine.

Skater!Sakura?
    He made her roller blade to school in his fic, and IIRC she fights on roller skates too. It was just absurd enough that I could accept it

Also, responding to Rafflesiac on Imaginary Number space... maybe? I'll admit I'm still not quite sure what Sakura can do with it without the influence of Very Angry Persian Man.

He made her roller blade to school in his fic, and IIRC she fights on roller skates too. It was just absurd enough that I could accept it

Also, responding to Rafflesiac on Imaginary Number space... maybe? I'll admit I'm still not quite sure what Sakura can do with it without the influence of Very Angry Persian Man.
    Imaginary Numbers space is primarily used as a form of storage magecraft, much like Jewel Magecraft. You can use it to store various things, form portals to move about quickly, create super realistic illusions once someone is pulled into it (as in the person can now be subjected to such things) and some other stuff that I'll have to look up to remember.

For example, a guy in Clock Tower 2015 uses his Imaginary Numbers ability to store his beer.

Essentially there was no real reason to have her Sakura use Jewel Magecraft when her own innate abilities could already do that.

Imaginary Numbers space is primarily used as a form of storage magecraft, much like Jewel Magecraft. You can use it to store various things, form portals to move about quickly, create super realistic illusions once someone is pulled into it (as in the person can now be subjected to such things) and some other stuff that I'll have to look up to remember.

For example, a guy in Clock Tower 2015 uses his Imaginary Numbers ability to store his beer.

Essentially there was no real reason to have her Sakura use Jewel Magecraft when her own innate abilities could already do that.
    Thanks for clearing that up! I guess Sakura could have been "rule of cooling" it in-universe, giving the author the benefit of the doubt.

Thanks for clearing that up! I guess Sakura could have been "rule of cooling" it in-universe, giving the author the benefit of the doubt.
    Maybe. The buggest issue is that I don't know if jewels can store physical objects.

It seems like they can store only intangible objects which means hou'd somehow have to convert something physical into energy or whatever before putting it in a jewel.

Is there anything in canon about jewels being used to store physical objects?

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I would have thought the biggest issue is that Sakura can't use Jewel Magecraft at all, but maybe that's explained in the fic in question...?

I mean, my impression from the original VN was that she couldn't really use magecraft much at all, but it sounds like that's not the case anymore.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Is there any kind of rule about not reccing fanfics already here at the forum?

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nah we rec stuff on here all the time. It's just that most of us have already read most of them and the Fanfic forum is a ghost town so there's not much new coming in.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightsCall View Post
    I would have thought the biggest issue is that Sakura can't use Jewel Magecraft at all, but maybe that's explained in the fic in question...?

I mean, my impression from the original VN was that she couldn't really use magecraft much at all, but it sounds like that's not the case anymore.
    Sakura's problem in the VN was that she was never taught anything really. It's mentioned in HF True End epilogue that Sakura is being taught magecraft by Dilo and Rider (I think).

We also see in Hollow Ataraxia Sakura using magecraft during the final fight against those zombie creature things that are Avenger. And of course there is that bit in Ataraxia where Shirou & Caster are talking about magi and the sides they show for both normal and mage life and Caster mentions at one point something about how Rin & Sakura both have incredible amounts of potential. So I guess had Sakura been taught stuff early on, she would've been able to match Rin, but well Zouken was there to fuck things up.

From what I remember in canon, Sakura can't use jewels for jewel magecraft because her element would dye the jewel and render it unusable, because her element wouldn't match any of the jewels, or something like that.

Considering that Rin mentions in HF that Sakura is suited for Tohsaka/Edefelt magecraft, and would've done well as one, I guess instead she could use her portals as some form of storage for spells, akin to how Rin or Luvia use jewels for the same thing.
    Last edited by warellis; September 23rd, 2019 at 08:14 PM.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    That’s basically the Janaera!fic I recced. Sakura living up to her potential. Though with Touko training her, she turns out pretty different.

But Janaera seems to have gone back to another fic with her usual powercreeped Sakura and I’m sad now. AIE is probably dead.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    That’s basically the Janaera!fic I recced. Sakura living up to her potential. Though with Touko training her, she turns out pretty different.

But Janaera seems to have gone back to another fic with her usual powercreeped Sakura and I’m sad now. AIE is probably dead.
    I think she's just jumping about doing various fics. So don't worry, she'll probably get back to it.

What was this other fic you're mentioning anyways?

the tortured magi department Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gosh, okay so I've been in Japan since September and I'm just zonked most of the time. I haven't forgotten about doing this and still have the google doc in working order, though I had at one point received some constructive feedback on how I was doing it from user You. I think that this is still a worthwhile thing to back up and update, but I am wondering if there is anyone who is interested in helping me do it? Just in terms of data entry.

If not, I can still piddle at it, but just the initial workload is the thing I'm worried about more than maintenance. However, I'll be home from Japan before Christmas, so there may be a drought of anything to do during which I could get more done. I've just been dabbling in other fandoms lately, and I don't want to be a robot, but I just wanted to do another interest check.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    I don't know if I'll have time, but if you give me access to the doc, I'll try and do some of that data entry every so often.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.