Page 42 of 143 FirstFirst ... 32374041424344475292142 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition (thread discontinued, see OP for new thread)

Blog Entries
    Actually... I've kept it a secret from you all.
    But the reason I was gone for 9 months was because I went to Japan to take IRL photos of all FSN locations.
    Next patch will replace all backgrounds with their IRL counterparts.

Here's a sneak peek:
    Spoiler:

Emiya Household:

Also, the game will be played from Saber's POV:
    Spoiler:

This is a very important choice:

Last edited by Quibi; August 21st, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    Presumably that image is what it'd look like with the "High" quality setting, right?

Because I imagine the low quality option should instead be highly blurred and filtered in order to give that Tsukihime feel to the backgrounds (kind of what your second image looks like, but to an even greater degree)
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    Funny you should say that - for those aformentioned CGs that are upscaled in a sub-par manner, just doing a waifu2x of the original 800x600 CG provides much better results and is in fact what we already do in "ultimate edition" in-place of some of the known sub-par upscaled iOS/Android CGs.

so you use machine learning for the ultimate edition already!? the more you know

Quote Originally Posted by Inuhanyou View Post
    so you use machine learning for the ultimate edition already!? the more you know
    Well uh, it's not being upscaled on-the-fly in the VN itself, rather we just use pre-rendered waifu2x'd images for such CGs.

Also in general we've waifu2x'd any image asset that doesn't exist in the mobile version, such as the UI buttons as well as the H-scenes.

I'm getting this exception everytime I try to skip Rin's 'Mind and Body' scene, didn't get it the first time I read it thou.
    [IMG]imgur.com/XtYVtSx[/IMG]

If the OpenGLES/ANGLE/Canvas rendering method used in KirikiriZ dev_multi_platform branch ("Love Cube" the first commercial product to use) is used, on-the-fly waifu2x rendering would be possible.

... well, it would be possible without switching to the new rendering method. However, it would be better to have layer rendering delegated to the GPU instead of CPU, especially at high resolutions.
    Switching to the new rendering method would also cause issues with machines with poor GPU drivers (same issues with WebGL) and would require at least winver 0x0601.
    Maybe something to look at for the future.

If anyone is interested:
    KirikiriZ dev_multi_platform core: https://github.com/krkrz/krkrz/tree/dev_multi_platform
    KirikiriZ dev_multi_platform API reference: https://krkrz.github.io/multi_platform_design/apiref
    KAGSigma (KAG implementation of the Canvas interface): https://github.com/krkrz/KAGSigma

While digging through my old "archived" hard drive, I found what seem to be actual video trailers for the 2004 VN, but the video quality is...really not great considering that we were talking about internet video in the early 2000s here (which itself largely predates video streaming, thereby even farther increasing the need to reduce the file size - heck the first video, even though it was rendered at 30fps, seems to truly be only 15fps):

Trailer 1: https://web.archive.org/web/20190823..._FateNR1_s.mpg

Trailer 2: https://web.archive.org/web/20190823...e_FSN02c_s.mpg

Also I'm testing out the theory of "abusing" uguu + archive.org to work as a generic hotlinkable file host for anything below 100MB :P (I've already well tested and confirmed that uguu + archive.is works as a hotlinkable image host).

(also lawl at their use of Microsoft Sam in the second trailer, that's how you know it's a legit trailer since that sort of thing seems par for the course with how Type-Moon was in the early 2000s)

Quote Originally Posted by uyjulian View Post
    on-the-fly waifu2x rendering would be possible
    I'm not really sure what the benefit would be over pre-rendered waifu2x images, especially since waifu2x is always going to be limited to 200% scaling regardless of whether it's done on-the-fly or as a pre-rendered image.

The main benefit would likely just be in terms of file size, but even that would be quite a minimal gain considering that we're not really using all that many waifu2x'd CGs in the first place since much of the art assets used for the "high" quality mode are just direct rips of the iOS/Android art assets.

The only other benefit I can think of is being able to waifu2x any already-high res artwork, but due to their lossy nature, the iOS/Android art assets don't particularly waifu2x all that well (and apparently this is still the case even when combining their luma with the lossless & higher resolution chroma from the original RN PC art assets).

Now yes, you can always waifu2x existing waifu2x'd RN PC images (like the H scenes I previously mentioned), but there's going to be a point of diminishing returns in terms of how many times one should waifu2x an image and I personally feel that two waifu2x passes (400% scaling @ 3200x2400) would already be quite a bit past that point.

Hi,

First time playing through FSN and I am a lazy bastard. I was hoping to find a translation of the game for my phone, vita, psp etc so I can lay in my bed and play it but this seems like the best version. Other than using a wireless mouse with the laser taped off so it doesn't move the cursor, are there any other ways to control the story wirelessly? How difficult would it be for me to get a cheap wireless controller and just press the "x" button? I just want my head to lay on a pillow and flip through the story.

Quote Originally Posted by iball View Post
    Hi,

First time playing through FSN and I am a lazy bastard. I was hoping to find a translation of the game for my phone, vita, psp etc so I can lay in my bed and play it but this seems like the best version. Other than using a wireless mouse with the laser taped off so it doesn't move the cursor, are there any other ways to control the story wirelessly? How difficult would it be for me to get a cheap wireless controller and just press the "x" button? I just want my head to lay on a pillow and flip through the story.
    There are many ways to map a joypad or other HID device to the keyboard.

Other than using a wireless mouse with the laser taped off so it doesn't move the cursor, are there any other ways to control the story wirelessly? How difficult would it be for me to get a cheap wireless controller and just press the "x" button? I just want my head to lay on a pillow and flip through the story.
    Protip - you can actually use the keyboard to navigate the entire VN.

Spacebar, Enter = continue to next line of text, also the 'OK' function (like the "A" button on Nintendo and Xbox consoles)
    ESC = bring up 'pause' menu, also navigate back
    Backspace = navigate back (but will not close 'pause' menu)
    Page Up = previous page of text
    Page Down = next page of text (only works in the 'history' view, that is when you've already pressed "page up" at least once)

Also the F# keys apparently work as quick saves and/or loading or something, but it was only discovered semi-recently (that is, in this decade - long after many of us have already read the VN) so I can't say exactly how the function works since I've no experience with it (and I myself tend to not prefer to use quick saving/loading anyway).

EDIT: Derp I forgot one of the most important controls:

Arrow keys = move/change highlighted selection
    Last edited by NM64; August 23rd, 2019 at 05:09 PM.

Protip - you can actually use the keyboard to navigate the entire VN.

Spacebar, Enter = continue to next line of text, also the 'OK' function (like the "A" button on Nintendo and Xbox consoles)
    ESC = bring up 'pause' menu, also navigate back
    Backspace = navigate back (but will not close 'pause' menu)
    Page Up = previous page of text
    Page Down = next page of text (only works in the 'history' view, that is when you've already pressed "page up" at least once)

Also the F# keys apparently work as quick saves and/or loading or something, but it was only discovered semi-recently (that is, in this decade - long after many of us have already read the VN) so I can't say exactly how the function works since I've no experience with it (and I myself tend to not prefer to use quick saving/loading anyway).
    Thanks, super helpful. My friend says i can borrow his steam controller. So I can just map those buttons easier. If that doesn't work out, I will grab a wireless keyboard

Thanks, super helpful. My friend says i can borrow his steam controller. So I can just map those buttons easier. If that doesn't work out, I will grab a wireless keyboard
    Derp I forgot one of the most important controls:

Derp I forgot one of the most important controls:

Figured most important would be a for autoread lol.
    ~ "I have no idea what I'm doing, but at least I'm trying."

It's been so long since I had any reason to map a controller to keyboard for any reason other than speedrunning on a game that allows remapping directions on keyboard but not on controller for reasons, that I totally forgot there are games (like, you know, VNs like this) that you might have reason to want to use a controller for that are keyboard only. Mapping keyboard to controller used to totally be my thing back before xinput was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neconaid View Post
    I'm getting this exception everytime I try to skip Rin's 'Mind and Body' scene, didn't get it the first time I read it thou.
    [IMG]imgur.com/XtYVtSx[/IMG]
    Still can't manage to solve it even if I choose 'censor mature content' on the options.

Blog Entries
    Uncencor h content should solve it... Probably... There have been some bugs that will be resolved next update.

I've found that the game-crashing bug gets fixed when you download the h patch, but switch to the censor H-scene option if you don't want to read them.

Um, Quibi, I sent you a question via PM about seamlessly-looping bgm52 under the assumption that PM would result in a response quicker than posting in this forum thread.

Was I wrong? I mean, you posted in this thread hours after I've sent you said PM...

For your convenience, here's my most recent PM quoted:

It'd probably have to actually use three different .ogg files in order to actually work with my lossless OGG vorbis trimming & splitting method:

• First file for the intro portion - bgm52a

• Second file for the main portion - bgm52b

• Third file for a relooping portion - bgm52c

So the way it'd have to occur is to play bgm52a all the way through, then immediately and seamlessly start playing bgm52b all the way through, then immediately and seamlessly start playing bgm52c all the way through, then immediately and seamlessly start playing bgm52b again at which point the process loops where it then plays bgm52c followed by bgm52b then bgm52c then bgm52b etc etc.

Interestingly, if this method is in fact feasible and has an easy enough implementation to actually consider, then we can actually still use the method as well as the first two portions for even when we don't want the song to loop (for when "no auto-read" is not enabled) - all that would need to change is that, rather than playing bgm52c, you would play a different third portion which for example sake we can call "bgm52outro" that will then play all the way through and then just stop once its done as that would then be a single play-through of the entire song.

And as I mentioned in my first of two PMs, it's not that big of an issue if doing such a thing in the VN would be difficult and/or a pain, it's just that this would be the only way to be able to use the remastered (not reproduction) version from the iOS/Android rip which has the best dynamic range, though the OST version of the remaster isn't that much worse (it's still better than the normal RN PC version and especially the PS2 RN OST).

And to clarify, this idea would not apply to the reproduction mix of bgm52, only the plain vanilla RN bgm52. I might still need to make a separate file for a seamlessly-looping version of the reproduction mix, but it can still be just one file for looping ("no forced auto-read" enabled) and another for no looping ("no forced auto-read" disabled).

Oh and BTW, I confirmed that the PS2 version of bgm52 is completely the same song as normal RN PC, so that's at least one PS2 song that can be removed.

Blog Entries
    I don't understand why can't we just use an sli loop file instead of all this mess?

Hey Quibi, could you double-check if the epilogue with the normal auto-reading text actually plays too slowly?

Over here on my machine, the music finished when Saber says "welcome back, Shirou" leaving you with something like a whole minute of silence before the credits. Is this really the intended behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    I don't understand why can't we just use an sli loop file instead of all this mess?
    Allow me to use the Reproduction version as an example since I've already finished it (see your PM for a download link) - if you compare the ending of the loop version of the reproduction mix to the equivalent timing-position in the non-loop version, you will notice a distinctive difference between the two.

The issue is that bgm52 inherently does not seamlessly loop as it is, meaning that the waveform must be altered in the form of cross fading and, last I checked, an sli file cannot crossfade. This is also why we must use at least two separate files (a looping version for no forced auto-read an a non-looping version for forced auto-read), because having the waveform optimized for looping ruins it for being optimized for non-looping and vice-versa.

As I mentioned, if it's too much trouble to break a single song into 3 separate parts, then don't worry about it and I'll just use the OST version much like I did for the reproduction mix.

But again, this does still mean you'll have to have two copies of each song - a looping version and a non-looping version. There's just no way around it unless you want one of the versions to sound sub-par.