Page 25 of 143 FirstFirst ... 15202324252627303575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Stay Night [Realta Nua] - Ultimate Edition (thread discontinued, see OP for new thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Anonamous View Post
    Unfortunately after this round of fixes the 'installer update' feature wont work for anyone who has downloaded the 'new' installer that was put out today.
    What?
    Memorable quotes

Quote Originally Posted by Kinoko Nasu
    So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnlimitedBladeWorks
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheinfinite101 View Post
    What?
    Maybe I'm mistaken. Did you release an installer with an update feature today or yesterday? If so changing the method here would cause it to not function properly. It's because it will try to use the wrong decompression format. Which is why I want to do it now and not later.

On the bright side it will notify the user that the update failed so they will at least know to come here and complain to me, hopefully to me and not someone else who isn't responsible for my fuckups.

Also good old tar.xz got it down to 87Mb lol
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; March 20th, 2019 at 07:49 PM. Reason: nvm I did handle it.
    ~ "I have no idea what I'm doing, but at least I'm trying."

Maybe I'm mistaken. Did you release an installer with an update feature today or yesterday? If so changing the method here would cause it to not function properly. It's because it will try to use the wrong decompression format. Which is why I want to do it now and not later.

On the bright side it will notify the user that the update failed so they will at least know to come here and complain to me, hopefully to me and not someone else who isn't responsible for my fuckups.

I'm confused because you're saying the installer will no longer acquire updates because it's in a 7zip, but it'd still be temporarily extracted onto the computer, and the actual patch downloads aren't changing, well one of them will be updated but other than that? So why would it fail to download updates?
    Memorable quotes

So as to stimulate the reader's imagination, I try not to write too clearly about mechanics and characters' inner workings.
    In all honesty the Ufo Anime should've included a switch that let people chose what route they wanted to watch.

I'm confused because you're saying the installer will no longer acquire updates because it's in a 7zip, but it'd still be temporarily extracted onto the computer, and the actual patch downloads aren't changing, well one of them will be updated but other than that? So why would it fail to download updates?
    No only previously released installers with the update feature won't update the installer correctly. They won't have any trouble updating the patches.

Blog Entries
    The secret cropping feature is just a normal cropping similar to the Vita and mobile implementations. It's not yet working so it's disabled on purpose.
    Also, the smart wide screen is a lot better... And I don't remember it had too many bugs. I suspect they were introduced when you were trying to fix other bugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Quibi View Post
    The secret cropping feature is just a normal cropping similar to the Vita and mobile implementations. It's not yet working so it's disabled on purpose.
    Also, the smart wide screen is a lot better... And I don't remember it had too many bugs. I suspect they were introduced when you were trying to fix other bugs.
    I can probably test that because I'm sure I have older builds of it lying around somewhere.

Also since it wasn't reported, there's no way to pan down the CGs in the gallery in wide mode, well barring the ones that already have a different size to the VN's native.
    Memorable quotes

Jack, I'm having a huge brain fart. I did send you the recompiled webpsusie plugin right?

Alright, results are in.

The following bugs were not present in the build Quibi gave me in October:

-Tiger Dojo text placement is disrupted in wide mode any time Taiga hits Illya

-Background panning in widescreen mode causes some text to overlap
    However all of these bugs, still present in the current build, were there too:

Spoiler:

- - - Updated - - -

Jack, I'm having a huge brain fart. I did send you the recompiled webpsusie plugin right?
    I believe so.
    Memorable quotes

Blog Entries
    Actually hintay implemented CG panning in ha gallery when he added the higher res Vita wallpapers. We can copy it to the RN CG gallery.
    All the screenshots but the second one seem to be because of the scroll feature. It should be a relatively easy fix...

Actually hintay implemented CG panning in ha gallery when he added the higher res Vita wallpapers. We can copy it to the RN CG gallery.
    All the screenshots but the second one seem to be because of the scroll feature. It should be a relatively easy fix...
    Uh the second one is actually a dispscroll bug that happens even when not in widescreen.

Is that what you mean by the scroll feature or do you mean the smart panning system that's adjusting where the background centers as the scene goes on? The Kirei one seems to be tied to an issue with the blur effect.
    Memorable quotes

Blog Entries
    I mean the dispscroll yes. This is what you call smart panning right?
    it's actually disabled when you're not in wide mode. The second image is not related to it.

Resident straight-male kuutsundere NM64's Avatar
    What were the exact setting in 7z you compressed them with? The smallest I can get them together is 160Mb
    Make sure it's the 7z format, not ZIP.

All I did was set the "Compression level" to ultra and set the "Dictionary size" to at least 96MB and leave everything else at their defaults for 'ultra', though for the absolute smallest you have to set the "Dictionary size" to at least 192MB and also set the "Word size" to at least 273 (but doing these additional steps only saves you an extra 100KB or so).

That's because xz compression uses LZMA and/or LZMA2...which is the exact same compression algorithm that 7zip uses for 7z archives by default.
    HELP WANTED - Contact me if you know the original source of this song:

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    Make sure it's the 7z format, not ZIP.

All I did was set the "Compression level" to ultra and set the "Dictionary size" to at least 96MB and leave everything else at their defaults for 'ultra', though for the absolute smallest you have to set the "Dictionary size" to at least 192MB and also set the "Word size" to at least 273 (but doing these additional steps only saves you an extra 100KB or so).

That's because xz compression uses LZMA and/or LZMA2...which is the exact same compression algorithm that 7zip uses for 7z archives by default.
    Yup. The 7z format isn't supported by the standard library so I just used tar.xz

I spent almost two weeks trying to trace the actual cause of the issue. If you happen to know where it might be let me know. I've been tempted to just rewrite the whole thing but don't want to go that far because I'll ruin everything lol.

Yup. The 7z format isn't supported by the standard library so I just used tar.xz
    So what exactly is that for then? It that for the update function of the installer?

I mean, surely you aren't planning on distributing the installer directly in a tar.xz format as I'm unsure people would know what to do with that...

Blog Entries
    Well when programmers say it's a relatively easy fix you know it isn't lol.
    I'll have a look at it when I'm back... Maybe sometime in June

It's a standard archive format. Any program that can unzip a zip or rar file should open it just fine

I decided to measure CPU usage on my working ports:
    6-7% CPU usage with no screen updates on my krkrz multi-platform working version
    27% CPU usage with screen updates on my krkrz multi-platform working version (of course, it uses CPU rendering)
    9% CPU usage with no screen updates on Ren'Py working version with working kag2rpy

png2webp, tcrf2opus, vorbis2opus, and xp32rpa are being worked on.

It's a standard archive format. Any program that can unzip a zip or rar file should open it just fine
    You know, you seem have a bad habit of only answering one question and then completely ignoring the other...

The "standard library" thing that you mentioned - is this the thing where the installer has the ability to check and download updated versions of said installer?

Quote Originally Posted by uyjulian View Post
    I decided to measure CPU usage on my working ports:
    Though your numbers would be even more useful if you stated what your CPU actually is...

Quote Originally Posted by NM64 View Post
    You know, you seem have a bad habit of only answering one question and then completely ignoring the other...

The "standard library" thing that you mentioned - is this the thing where the installer has the ability to check and download updated versions of said installer?

Though your numbers would be even more useful if you stated what your CPU actually is...
    No the standard library is what comes with a minimum python installation. Without it nothing runs. Essentially adding support for the 7z format would require adding more libraries to it and thus making the installer larger when it isn't really necessary.

If necessary it can just be renamed with the .7z extension even though it really isn't. As 7zip was written 'properly' is is using the header to determine the compression and doesn't care if you name it something completely benign, it will still open it.

Also yes I am aware it is a bad habit, mostly unintentional. It is continuing to get worse. The amount of times I've blown an exam I should of aced because of it is growing...

Also I apologize to everyone as I just noticed I had completely broken the 'installer updating" feature while cleaning some stuff up. I forgot to leave a reference to the thread so the garbage collector deletes it while the new installer is being downloaded and causes it to fail. Patch updates and downloads will still work just fine. I am clearly still a novice programmer.

EDIT: Well at appears the the frozen executable doesn't want to handle the tarfile module so screw it I'll find a 7z library.
    Last edited by TheUnknownIdentity; March 21st, 2019 at 05:29 PM.

No the standard library is what comes with a minimum python installation. Without it nothing runs. Essentially adding support for the 7z format would require adding more libraries to it and thus making the installer larger when it isn't really necessary.

EDIT: Well at appears the the frozen executable doesn't want to handle the tarfile module so screw it I'll find a 7z library.
    Wait wait wait, are you talking about the contents of the installer itself?

Uhhh, dude that's totally not at all what I've been saying which is why I've been confused. By a 7z archive and compression or the like, I am purely talking about packing the existing installer EXE as-is! Don't rebuild the installer or anything because that's completely unecessary and TBH seems like completely overthinking the issue here.

(I can't help but think your viewing my comments through a "software coder" viewpoint when I'm purely coming from an "coding-inept end-user" viewpoint - like, recompressing the actual internal contents of the installer never even crossed my mind as even being a possibility)

Seriously, just take the current EXEs, put them in a 7z archive, and that's it. You get 86MB total for both 32bit and 64bit, and everything works fine. Simple and straight forward. The end.