Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Type Moon Wiki "fixable"?

Is Type Moon Wiki "fixable"?

Technically anyone can edit the wiki. Which is a double-edged sword of course, but what I am wondering is - "Would Type Moon Wiki be a better resource as a whole if more people would edit?"

I know it might be an uphill struggle and unrealistic but I want to hear everyone's thoughts on wiki editing. Sorry if this didn't deserve its own thread.

EDIT: I ask this because while we can make resources that people can't just come in and vandalise, the majority of casual fans tend to default to looking at the wiki and in my experience, it's quite difficult to steer them towards better resources.
    Last edited by AnoniMauuss; February 19th, 2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Making my point clearer

From what I understand, people here have tried already and failed.

At best, the most that can be done is to advise using the citations provided on the pages, as those provide the right information.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi Yūsuke View Post
    From what I understand, people here have tried already and failed.At best, the most that can be done is to advise using the citations provided on the pages, as those provide the right information.
    Basically this. It is a shame, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Depends on how you view the wiki tbh. It's a good source if you want a quick check on something, go there and scroll down to the bottom to check the sources of certain stuffs. But it's always secondary source for information so I always advice people to look up the source materials. The way the wiki is now, I don't see a need to "fix" it for me.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    From what I understand, people here have tried already and failed.

At best, the most that can be done is to advise using the citations provided on the pages, as those provide the right information.
    I was fine with the editing. None of the other editors really stopped me since I usually put a reference to everything I put.

The problem at the moment is probably a lack of manpower since even recent lore reveals are not implemented in the wiki, and when they do, some of the editors are lazy enough to not even put references for that. (I was one of the more active editors in the past year but I stopped because I wanted to focus on my own translations first before continuing.)

Also, the fears of something being reverted because of certain editors and their certain "headcanons" is not that big of a deal anymore. E.g. I had to explain why Knight of Honor was actually Knight of Owner and they accepted it in the end.

P.S. The fandom wiki's edit system is not really edit friendly anymore, or at least on the TM Wiki.

P.S.S. Some of the citation entries themselves are inaccurate. Off the top of my head, a few of the mirrormoon translations, and most especially, the localization of the EXTRA's mats entries. So even the citations/references themselves need to be checked once again, and I do want to do that in the future, but it'll take a lot of manpower to fix everything. I honestly think it's easier to rebuild the wiki from the ground up and actually analyze what references are being put in. Especially since some articles contain editors' paraphrasing of a reference that actually meant something different compared to the reference being cited for.
    Last edited by Clyton; February 19th, 2019 at 08:16 AM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    You know what I find really irritating about the wiki? How the wiki will often claim it's info is from some source in the citations only to find the English side has like only a name, with nothing from the Japanese portion translated. It's irritating as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    You know what I find really irritating about the wiki? How the wiki will often claim it's info is from some source in the citations only to find the English side has like only a name, with nothing from the Japanese portion translated. It's irritating as hell.

Yeah I also hate that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clyton View Post
    I was fine with the editing. None of the other editors really stopped me since I usually put a reference to everything I put.

The problem at the moment is probably a lack of manpower since even recent lore reveals are not implemented in the wiki, and when they do, some of the editors are lazy enough to not even put references for that. (I was one of the more active editors in the past year but I stopped because I wanted to focus on my own translations first before continuing.)

Also, the fears of something being reverted because of certain editors and their certain "headcanons" is not that big of a deal anymore. E.g. I had to explain why Knight of Honor was actually Knight of Owner and they accepted it in the end.

P.S. The fandom wiki's edit system is not really edit friendly anymore, or at least on the TM Wiki.

P.S.S. Some of the citation entries themselves are inaccurate. Off the top of my head, a few of the mirrormoon translations, and most especially, the localization of the EXTRA's mats entries. So even the citations/references themselves need to be checked once again, and I do want to do that in the future, but it'll take a lot of manpower to fix everything. I honestly think it's easier to rebuild the wiki from the ground up and actually analyze what references are being put in. Especially since some articles contain editors' paraphrasing of a reference that actually meant something different compared to the reference being cited for.
    I know what you mean, you kinda need to try to leave no room for doubt because of stubborn editors like that or failing that, be just as stubborn.

Manpower is also a definite factor, I agree. Wiki editing is a lot more work than it seems. So ironing out every issue would be quite hard between like one, two or three active editors in a reasonable amount of time.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    The main issue with the wiki is that not only is the Nasuverse obnoxiously big (and most importantly, largely untranslated or solely fan-translated - the main VNs don't even have an official English release yet, for duck's sake), it is also to a great degree interconnected. So something that might be stated in one source (e.g. Tamamo's Divinity in FGO) can be recontextualised or flat out misunderstood if the submitter hasn't also read something else (e.g. CCC and the appearance of Amaterasu there). There's also a lot of stuff in older mats that's, if not straight up retconned, entirely changed in meaning by more recent additions to the lore (e.g. how Herc's God Hand works exactly, or what Excalibur actually is). As such, even if the wiki was only ever edited by well-meaning individuals who only added information directly from a referenced source, it would STILL contain inaccuracies and cause editing wars.

The solution is either for the relatively few people with a sufficient grasp of the overall picture to work full-time fact-checking and proofreading every article (unrealistic and unsustainable in the long run as new lore gets aded almost daily- thanks FGO) or to wait for the general "level of understanding" of the Nasuverse to gradually rise as more of it becomes more accessible to more people (feasible but very long run "solution").
    Last edited by Deathhappens; March 1st, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Wait, they changed how God Hand works?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    something something the ufotable anime is it's own slightly different AU portrayal of FSN something something God Hands malfunctions whenever Saber shows up on-screen because it makes her look good
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Wait, they changed how God Hand works?
    After he recovers he gains resistance not immunity to the same type of attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

After he recovers he gains resistance not immunity to the same type of attack.
    Wasn't that how it always was though?

Something like, gaining +1000 resistance which pretty much equaled to outright immunity?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't that how it always was though?

Something like, gaining +1000 resistance which pretty much equaled to outright immunity?
    Quote Originally Posted by cm3
    In addition to these two effects, Twelve Labors also possesses a third effect, rendering an attack that it has experienced no longer effective. Regardless of how powerful the Noble Phantasm is that defeats Heracles, it would be ineffective after he resurrects.
    vs
    With Berserker's Noble Phantasm God Hand, you gain resistance to an attack once you're hit by it, but do you only gain this resistance by having died once? Would the same attack be effective multiple times as long as it was before he died? <Madao Gingetsu>
    Nasu You don't have to die. For example... if you were to take fire damage, once you recover you would gain +100 resistance to fire.
    Takeuchi Oh, feels like it has been toned-down. Wouldn't it have completely nullified it before?
    Nasu I said it won't work, but I don't think I've ever said it'll be negated. BB: "Mine is to nullify all attacks, Macho-san's is to triple his defense! What's the difference!?" Heracles: "It's not even close (to your hacked ability)!"
    Takeuchi No matter how you put it, it's an overpowered skill.
    even takeuchi wtf'd
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Nasutehepero.png

shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

I see...the original was too busted anyway. Nerf was necessary. That, and it is a buff in some ways because Herk doesn't need to die to gain adaptive resistance.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Well... the original description says it would "no longer be effective."

That's not necessarily immunity.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    Well... the original description says it would "no longer be effective."

That's not necessarily immunity.
    What else could it be?

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    What else could it be?
    If an attack is Not Very Effective in Pokemon, it still hurts just not as much.

Though given Takeuchi's reaction I'd say it was meant to be immunity originally.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    If a weapon is supposed to do 100 points of damage, but your ability makes it only do 15 points of damage against you, it's pretty much a non-factor at that point, even if it's not literally negated.

Even cutting it in half would make a big difference.

But yeah this is another area where the plain meaning seems to have indicated something else, but Nasu managed to change it without actually changing it, per se. The words are ambiguous. One might say it was "always" like this, as we can't read Nasu's mind, and that we simply misunderstood without the clarification. Either way, a shift in understanding has occurred.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobin View Post
    something something the ufotable anime is it's own slightly different AU portrayal of FSN something something God Hands malfunctions whenever Saber shows up on-screen because it makes her look good
    Yes, I'm thankful for that :v

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    If a weapon is supposed to do 100 points of damage, but your ability makes it only do 15 points of damage against you, it's pretty much a non-factor at that point, even if it's not literally negated.

Even cutting it in half would make a big difference.

But yeah this is another area where the plain meaning seems to have indicated something else, but Nasu managed to change it without actually changing it, per se. The words are ambiguous. One might say it was "always" like this, as we can't read Nasu's mind, and that we simply misunderstood without the clarification. Either way, a shift in understanding has occurred.
    herk HP 5000
    Alter damage him for 150.000
    Then decrease to 50.000
    Then about 15000
    Legit enough for me
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet