Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 478910111419 ... LastLast

Thread: [FF] Grail Works, Ltd.: Fate/Anarchy (Type-Moon/Scion crossover)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So, everyone, the questions involving the next interlude part got more important, it seems. Kieran's hands are having problems again. His chapter is mostly DONE, but he can't write right now.

Chapter 26: Of Construction and Conversations

The Wolfen, Galley
    4:30 AM
    July 3rd, 2004

MHXX hums, as she approaches the Galley. Normally Servants don't HAVE to sleep, but it's fun. Her, however? She likes to enjoy it just as much as she learned from her Sensei to enjoy it. With waking up nice and early to ensure the tormenter who'd woken HER up early every day for years, gets the same exact treatment.

Oh yes. The sheer number of times she'd woken up to an ice cube-filled bucket of water, because her projects weren't yet done? Too many to count. Almost the entire four years of training, in fact. So her revenge would be glorious. Still... better to make sure.

"Ah, excuse me, Mr. Legion of Coal unit?"

"Yes Miss Mysterious Heroine XX?"

She sighs softly, grumbling. "Is the Wolfen's Galley water tight, or is there any power issues in there to be concerned of? My Teacher needs a wakeup call, just like the ones he gave me for years."

The Legion of Coal unit pauses, going over its databanks. "It should be fine to pour water inside. Do you require some?"

Inside her helmet, MHXX grins evilly, as she nods. "Indeed. A bucket full of ice cubes, then water, if possible, my good Unit!"

"Right away, ma'am! Do you mind if the Scylla records this?"

"Oh, I don't mind at ALL..."

It takes only a couple seconds, for her to get her bucket. Mechanical efficiency at its best, after all. And, sneaking in, it's easy to get up to Erik.

"GOOD MORNING, SENSEI!"

*Splash*

"GOD FUCKING DAMN IT, THAT'S COLD!"

"Oh, I thought I'd get revenge on what you did to me for four years straight, at this hour, Sensei!" MHXX'S voice is gleeful, even through the armor's ability to disguise her voice.

Erik looks down, staring, then slowly looks up at her. "Mother. Fucker."

"I've got a tazer with your name on it if you need help waking up more, though!" Her voice is even MORE smug, now, as she sits across from her favorite teacher in the future.

"You are an evil, evil goddamned bitch. I like you already. Would I have taken you as an apprentice in the future, by any chance?" Erik, looking curious, studies her.

"Nope!" The smugness in her voice grows.

"Adopted you?" He tilts his head, as he asks.

"Not yet!" And grows yet more.

"Why the hell not?" He's frowning, now.

"Too many irons in the fire to do it then?" MHXX sounds amused.

"How the hell is there too many irons in the fire?!"

"Well, aside from you being on the Mark 3 Wolfen when I take your classes, due to 'dimensional fuckery', and this thing being too expensive to keep around... you have to deal with 'a bunch of colonists' that Zelretch happily gave 'shit to', classes to teach, and 'Science' to do." MHXX leans back, her arms folded behind her head.

"Huh. I've considered it, though?" Erik looks contemplative, now.

"Oh, definitely. But you always put it off a bit whenever you thought about it. Add in that I'm better off for the construction aspects, more than the science or engineering development aspects..."

Erik nods, thinking, then settles back as he works over the information he has in his mind.

"I still have that tazer if you need help in waking up, Sensei."

"You're an evil bitch, and I'm liking it more and more. You want an adoption, we'll work on it here in the past, while we have the time."

"I'll think about it." MHXX smiles, then tilts her head. "Off to build, I suppose?"

"Indeed! Any tips on what to do?" Erik calmly leads her off, while looking at her walking beside him.

"Eh. I don't know the exact specifics of Artorium or Alternium's forging methods, since you developed it after you eventually switch to the Wolfen Mark 2... but you did hint that it involved divine blood in the forging somehow. Aside from that... to build a Cosmoreactor, you need two gallons of blood, divine metal for about fourteen inches worth, minimum, and the same symbols as on mine. I'll pull my armor off, so you can see what it looks like, and get a good idea of it."

"Why the armor, anyways?" Erik glances over, studying her armor intently for a moment.

"It... helps counter the dimensional shifts, and what it can do to people and their abilities. Much like the armor plating or coating on your Wolfen does. As a police force dead set on helping counter Servants that invade other universes, and aren't part of a Holy Grail War, we get this as a standard armor design that you create in the future sometime."

"And how's the dimensional stuff work?" He narrows his eyes, looking it over for any familiar runes whatsoever. Maybe they're on the inside? He isn't sure.

"Oh! That's kind of simple, honestly. You developed a computer program based on something you saw, sometime in the future. Some sort of realm, where your divinity kept you from going insane?" She sounds curious behind her armor now.

"Yeah. I remember that. It... wasn't the best of all places to see. Everything was... odd. I saw universes die, and be created, all at once, and if I wasn't a God, it would have broken my mind, I think. It was less... realm, and more the... Absence of Realms."

"Yeah, that would do it, I suppose. Well, irregardless, the program, combined with the Cosmoreactor, leads to a technology we called Rayshifting. It allows dimensional, or universal transfer without losing your abilities. Without the armor, though, you tend to have them... mingle with the universe you're in, over time. It looks like the Wolfen is holding up well for that, but I'd suggest you work on the armor coating for any further projects."

A long sigh, as Erik reaches the door, before he turns towards her. "Honestly? It's out of my budget right now. We used every scrap of the material we used on the original coating, from the first Universe we were in. I haven't really seen, or been able to replicate more of it, with how much I've been busy, since. Ah, here we are."

He opens the door to his new workshop, courtesy of Wayland Smith, then sits, pulling up a screen and glancing over details. "Let's see now... I need to deal with the reactor's issues... build that new reactor with you... ensure one of the trucks are ready for Mash, Mordred, and whoever else will be going with them..."

MHXX nods, settling back, even as she removes her armor. Erik, in turn, raises an eyebrow as he glances her direction. "Huh. Need anything to wear on top of that stuff? I'm pretty sure a bikini is fucking cold in here right now."

"No, it's too damned hot to wear anything else, with how warm that armor gets. Thank you though, Sensei." Her voice is still modulated, but she looks relaxed now.

"Voice Modulation on purpose?"

"Yup. And to mess with Godafrid, honestly. Though he could have let me KNOW he knew me before I ever MET him." She sounds irritated, even as the Voice Modulation stops. Erik can't exactly blame her. Then, she focuses.

Slowly, as she pulls upwards, an orb slowly pulls up out of her chest, manifesting and forming an orb with a big, thin ring wrapped around it. Rather than most of the sides touching, instead a thin side touches.

"Hmm... so that orb there's your Cosmoreactor?"

"Yup, my pride and joy! In the future, you use only a bit of your blood as a catalyst to make these work... well. Yours, or your wife's, or Fenris' blood, at least. We have to hunt down a creature of Legend, and kill it, then use most of its blood for the rest. In my case, you helped me kill a Dragon, and I mixed in a bit of Tamamo's blood into it, as she directed me too. It helped me learn how to be more stealthy as a result. Add in what you helped me find, later, and I've gotten stupidly good at it. Tamamo compared me to something she did when younger. Something about being able to sneak around, while holding a bright light, and no one being able to notice?" She sounds proud, as she shows it off.

"Interesting... actually, that's fascinating! Give me a bit to study this, please."

"Not a problem! No falling asleep, though, Sensei!" She sounds amused.

"Huh. Interesting... I'm guessing this rune here interacts with the computer? The one I'm pointing at?"

"Yup! That's what makes Rayshifting easy and simple to do."

"Fascinating. Let me get some pictures real quick..."

"Just make sure to not let anyone else have access to them, Sensei."

"Got it. I'll put it in the stuff marked for paranoia."

"I thought you would. I don't want to change history TOO much, after all."

"I get that. God of Paranoia, remember? Amongst other things, anyways. Let's see now... huh. That's... damned simple to do the carving for both sides. And the insides?"

"Ah, do you have Auto-CAD?"

"Yeah, lemme boot up a computer... wait. I haven't put in computers in here, yet. Lemme grab you a tablet with a drawing function."

"Thank you, Sensei! Um... could you promise me something, though, while we're talking? If things get changed because of this, or I tell you anything I shouldn't have, could you cover for me? I don't exactly have seniority, or enough clout to cover for if things get changed, and I really don't want to lose my job..." She looks down, quietly, peeking through her bangs at Erik, as he pauses, then looks back at her.

"I'll do my damned best to see you keep your job with no repercussions. I promise. And if somehow, you do have repercussions, I'll work to help you. No matter what." Erik looks at her, point blank. "You're sticking your neck out for me. Trust me when I say that I value that more than I'll admit, especially with the clusterfuck that things have been. It's been..."

Erik sighs, long and hard, while she accepts a computer tablet, before easily opening the proper programs. "It's been a clusterfuck. The Titans fusing into one giant thing... everything else happening the way it has... everything just keeps getting worse. Did you know that their fusion offered me Ymir's role?"

MHXX pauses, then slowly looks up at him. "No. I didn't. Why would they..."

Erik sighs, softly, and rubs his forehead. "I don't know for sure, except it involved the Frost Purview... and one of them mentioning that I was somehow 'Of his Blood, and having a small fragment of his power'. But tonight's the first night where I actually got a lot of rest, from nightmares involving that, and having accepted... only to become a monster who couldn't love my wife, or anyone I knew."

"Sensei. I'm sorry." She moves, giving Erik a hug, then just breathes out. "I'm sorry to hear that. I've been so excited to see you in the past, and see your Wolfen, the way you described it to us in class... I didn't even think of how confusing it must be for you. Sensei. You're a good person. A good man. You might be somewhat paranoid, but that's understandable, from the stories you've given us in class. But trust me. You're ok. You didn't accept, and you won't stop loving your wife."

Silence reigns for a long moment, as MHXX hugs the man she calls Sensei. Eventually, though, he quietly whispers "Thank you. That means a lot right now." while patting her head.

"It's no problem, Sensei. I get why you're so stressed. More than that, I can see why you always loved this ship."

"Can you tell me why I lose it, perhaps?" He looks at her, studying her.

"Loosely, operating costs, as far as I understand it. That and the cloaking system being a pain in your rear to use. Let's face it. Cloaking the entire ship has to be EXPENSIVE for you, each time." She sighs, stepping back and rubbing her forehead. "Not to mention the strain it has to be on YOU, rebuilding parts so often. It's a prototype, a test-bed for technology. I get that perfectly. But at the same time, if you look at the strain, and the drain on yourself, it's just not feasible in the long run. Not without massive overhauls, or replacing more of the nuclear reactors with the fusion reactors that you seem to have barely finished designing..."

Erik sighs, softly. "I'll admit, before I came here... I was tempted to replace it with a smaller design. After I came here, though, with how much WEAKER I am... I don't know if I can afford to do that sort of thing. Not anymore. My crafting skills, every skill I have has weakened..."

"So you're effectively stuck, without backup, or any knowledge of the wider area, or things that might come that could fuck you over, or help. It makes me want to swear a lot, for you, to be honest. But I'm too nice a girl to swear." She smiles, then sighs, thinking. "Still... this MIGHT help you out. I'm not sure exactly how much, but it should?"

Erik nods, thinking. "Any ideas about WHY my future self didn't adopt you, by the way?"

She pauses, rubbing her finger against her lips, eyes scrunched up in thought. "Hmm. Maybe... no. That couldn't be it. Perhaps... no, no. Oh, that's it! I suspect he wanted me to see how your original abilities worked, and compare them to the abilities your future self has in my future period of time."

Erik nods, then looks closer at the runes, before breathing out. "That makes sense. Now for the metal, and..."

"And I'll handle the work on auto-CAD! Should work fine, Sensei!" She interrupts with a smile, right as she collects the tablet from the Legion of Coal unit bringing one in.

6:30 AM

Two hours of work result in their actions, as Erik teams up with MHXX, both working to produce something potent. Something new. Something wonderful, and useful, all in one.

Even if it isn't her fabled "Artorium" or "Alterium" in his eyes, after several attempts at producing a decent steel, he eventually manages to get good results with a steel forged with his own ichor, from his Meteorite Iron, then cooled with his frost abilities.

"Um... Sensei...?" Erik pauses, then glances at her staring. "Yeah?"

"You just made Artorium. Somehow." Erik pauses, looking down, then stares.

"That's a GOOD thing, right?"

"Um... technically? Except it seems rather low quality. I'd suggest tripling the metal for it. And experimenting with using something other than cooling it like you did. Maybe cold blood or that Ichor stuff you have?"

Erik thinks, then nods, before sighing and getting back to work.

"Also, Sensei? Please make me swear a Geas to never reveal the method, after you're done? I don't want you to kill me for it, with how much in demand that metal is."

Erik sighs, and nods. "I get it. Thank you."

7:00 AM

It takes another 30 minutes, of them working, but they eventually finish it.

"Now all you have to do is pump pure ichor into here, and then we're done, Sensei!"

"How concentrated does it need to be?"

"Ah... as much as you can."

Erik sighs, then nods, before pouring his blood into a pan, then into a machine he's developed for concentrating ichor in his spare time in the room.

It takes seconds for the small microwave sized machine to do it's work, extracting blood from him, and filtering it. Copper based blood in one side, and ichor, black reflecting rainbow color in the other. For a moment, confusion flickers in Erik's eyes, as a sheen of gold appears on it, before it flickers back to normal.

Thankfully for him, even though it taps into a major artery, he can regenerate the blood being lost faster than the vein can deplete.

Soon enough, the ichor is poured into the device. "Now what?"

"Now, push your power into it, like I'm doing with mine. A steady stream into the runes."

"I'll try, I suppose..." Erik focuses, trying what she's telling him to do, and pouring power directly into the runes carved within this thing he's crafted. And slowly, it works. It begins glowing an icy blue that leaves the room within feeling colder, even as engravings of clockwork and hydraulics form along the surface of the machine.

"You did it, Sensei! Now, try to visualize it flowing into you, and you'll be able to use it as a reactor for your machines without issue!"

Erik pauses, looking over at her, before shrugging, and trying.

*Thunk*

*Thunk, Thunk*

"It's not working." Erik turns his head, from where he was looking down, towards her. "I'm STRONGER while holding it, but it's not going in me like you said it should."

"Eh? That's... odd. Maybe you developed a spell later, and it's not on there now?" MHXX tilts her head, studying it, before sighing.

"Probably. Well, now to make this into a necklace or something..."

A long pause, as they both hear incoming footsteps, before MHXX desperately dons her armor as they approach. Only to stare in wide eyed surprise at Mordred bursting into the room.

"HOLY SHIT, THAT WAS AWESOME AND EPIC! I WANT ONE SO DAMNED MUCH NOW, IT'S PURE AWESOMENESS IN A SWORD! PLEASE FINISH IT SOON!"

Mordred's shouting leaves Erik grinning even as MHXX finishes pulling her armor back on behind Mordred. "Right? I've gotta say I love how the project came out!"

Mordred grins, widely. "Those swordfights were all awesome! I had to run here after Return of the Jedi, though, to tell you how much I love those swords!"

Erik laughs, before grinning. "May as well show you the modifications, then, am I right?!"

Mordred just grins and nods, repeatedly, her expression like an eager puppy, only for her eyes to go wide at the sight of the Laserblade turned Lightsaber.

"This little thing originally was the hilt of a laser blade, expertly adjusted to have the five lasers carve through things in a row. With how I upgraded it, though... the lasers are mixed in a blade of pure lightning mixed with lasers."

"Lightning?! Hmm... maybe I could use my own Magical lightning to power it!"

Erik laughs, then muses. "Actually, you might be able to make a lightning sword if you work on it long enough..."

"Really?! That would be wonderful, too!"

"I'm just getting started on some upgrades to it. Want to watch?"

"Oh, HELL yes. I wouldn't miss this for anything!" Mordred's smile simply grows bigger as she settles back to watch.

Erik laughs, then nods, pulling out parts of the casing. "Right now, the lightsaber only has five functional uses before shutting down. I didn't even think of power saving equipment. But with the heat to electricity stuff I'm putting in, this should give extra uses. Maybe just one swing, but more likely 10 extra uses."

"Neat!" Mordred happily sits, watching as Erik works, while MHXX watches in the background. Then MHXX speaks up, thinking.

"So, Mordred."

"Yeah? I remember you vaguely from Chaldea a bit... Mysterious Heroine XX, right?"

"I'd wondered if you would. Do you have any memories of similar Grail Wars?"

"Eh. Kinda? Most of it's flashes rather than anything concrete, but I remember something with 13 servants before... actually, now that I think of it... I think my Master was my master in that one, too. Though it's completely vague, more impressions than anything else. I just mostly remember him and I being great friends, bonding really well, and..."

"And? Unless you don't want to talk about it..."

"I realized something, towards the end. Right before I died. Something beautiful and important. But I just can't easily remember i-"

She pauses, frowning.

"...No. I vaguely remember a realization involving my father. He... that I wanted to..." Mordred frowns, worse, obviously trying to remember.

"Fuck. I don't remember. Damn it."

Erik muses, and glances towards her. "Ask your master to use a command spell so you have to remember that other war, then?"

Mordred smiles widely. "I'll do just that! And anything else from that other summoning!"

Erik nods, then pulls his goggles back down over his eyes, resuming his work.

7:30 AM

Erik stops, smiling, then offers the lightsaber to Mordred. "Turn it on while it's still charging."

She smiles widely, looking over the finished blade, before turning it on. The crackle of the red blade with a white corona answers her, as she stares in awe at the machine. Slowly, though, her look of awe changes to a look of glee, with a huge smile on her face.

"If I didn't have a Master, I'd want you as mine. You know that, right?" Mordred smiles over at Erik.

"I'd be happy to have you, if something ever happens to my own Servant." Erik smiles back, then pats her shoulder.

"Now what? This thing is awesome!"

"Now? We test it for how many uses it can do before it stops working. I got some Legion of Coal units to get us some sheet metal, while Mysterious Heroine XX ran off to get us some snacks."

"Sweet. Unplug, once it's done charging, then test?"

"Exactly!" Erik smiles, settling back.

"Hey, what do those goggles do?" Mordred pauses, studying them.

"Eh, while I wear them, I can see weaknesses in the objects in front of me. It comes from a Death Goddess' mirror, the one thing she never really broke, of all her things. Everything else rotted on her."

"Whoa, that's... actually awesome! Anything else it can do?"

"It lets me see weaknesses in people, as well. Lets me see where to hit, for better damage, and I can see where to cut using my laser to do more damage to a person with it. Catch is, I get 8 minutes a day with it, right now, before I get a massive headache. So though it's GREAT for a fight..."

"It leaves you weakened if you use it too long. Gotcha. That sounds rough, right there." Mordred frowns, folding her arms.

"Little worse than weakened. More "Exhausted, with a huge migraine that feels like it's going to rip my skull in two. Any longer than that, right now, and it feels like my eyeballs might POP while wearing it. Used to be that I had twelve minutes, but now it's only eight... probably has to do with how weak I am in this universe compared to my old one."

Mordred nods, thinking. "Makes sense, to be honest... you took a dive in power, so too does your ability to cope with certain things."

The moment between them is interrupted, by three beeps coming from the prototype lightsaber. Erik smiles, and unplugs it. "Fully charged, and ready for the test when the plates arrive."

Mordred smiles, then simply points behind Erik towards the door. "And they just did! Gonna test it?!"

Erik smiles, then offers it to her. "You do it, since you'll be working with it for a while. Just take good care of it for when you're out and about."

She laughs, then studies the sheets of metal brought in. "Just gotta swing right through that stuff, right?"

"As expected of a Prince, to know what they're supposed to do."

Erik's reply makes Mordred pause, and blink at him for a long moment. Then she smiles, and nods. "Thank you for respecting my position. It means a lot."

"Eh, you wanted to be King for some reason, and I do get that. Nearly became one for the Mars colony, before things went wrong, on my end. At least you didn't have MY father as yours. Guy was a bastard."

"Thank you for respecting me for that, instead of hating me. And... would you be willing to give tips, or lessons?"

Erik smiles, and nods, before stepping back.

Snap, Crackle, HISS

With one swing, she stares, as the lightning mixed with laser sword carves through the steel plates, one after another, like a hot knife through butter.

"Ten swings, with eleven being hit or miss, I think. That last swing barely had any power to it before it faded." Erik studies things, carefully, then grins. "How's it feel to swing it?"

"It's wonderful! Really lightweight compared to a sword, so I suspect people will have to be trained in coping with it, though." Mordred studies it, while musing. "It's nowhere near as balanced as a sword is, so unless you make the emitter super heavy, it's not really much like a sword in terms of balance. That's going to throw people off with it."

MHXX sticks her head in the door, then looks at them both. "Sensei? Your wife said we need to eat breakfast with everyone else. Shall we all go get some tasty food?"

After a long moment, Erik sighs, then starts cleaning himself up. Mordred simply smiles and nods.

"Sounds good to me! Any ideas for what we should do?"

"I have a couple ideas. Think you'd like to go after a rogue Servant on Black's side of things?" Erik idly pulls his lightsaber off the table, then moves towards the kitchen with them, smiling.

"Can it be in one of those trucks?!" Mordred grins.

"Oh hell yes. You get one of the trucks. How's 3 inch thick steel plating for the truck sound to you as a defense?"

"Oh, that sounds like a beautiful thing to drive!" Mordred's smiling an evil, evil grin.

"Plus! Just imagine the look on their Assassin's face when they discover what being run over by a truck is like!" At the thought of an Assassin staring at a truck, right before being run over, Mordred cackles, laughing long and hard.

"Sensei! Isn't that a little evil?!"

"Oh come on! Don't be a stick in the mud, Mysterious Heroine XX! It'll be fun!"

"Hmph! Well, if things go wrong, don't forget to let me know, so I can tell you that I was right!"

The Wolfen, Galley
    7:45 AM

Erik smiles, as he walks into the galley, stretching out as his wife smiles at him. "Have fun tinkering, dear?"

Erik nods, takes a plate full of an omelette, as well as some bacon, with miso soup on the side. "Thank you, dear. I did in fact have fun tinkering! Even figured out a new metal forging technique. Should help us in the near future. After this, I'm going to look over what the hell happened with some of the reactors, and mill out replacements."

Tamamo smiles and nods at her husband, then continues passing out food to everyone that comes in.

After a long meal, full of tasty, hearty food, Erik glances over. "Mind if I have everyone's attention?"

A chorus of "Yes" results.

"Loosely, I was wondering if Mash, Mordred, Olga, and Amaterasu would go out searching for Assassin of Black. Would that be okay with everyone?"

Kairi tilts his head, thinking, before slowly nodding. "That's fine with me, but can I ask why?"

Erik muses, before explaining. "I'm going to be busy with working on getting the reactors back online, so we can get the ship mobile again. That's going to be a nightmare of parts and issues, so it's going to take me at LEAST a day. Add in everything that's likely on the verge of breaking down, and I'll want to build extra spare parts, just to be safe. Furthermore, I have to work on the cloning technology, that you and Miss Aozaki wish to have some working technology for. Working on that alone with you will be at least a day's worth of work."

Erik pauses, then sips on some water, before continuing. "Add in that Ruler should eventually wake up, and we'll want her to have some hearty food, as well as get answers from her on what the hell Assassin of Red was throwing around, and we've got a more complex situation than you think. I've also promised to upgrade some equipment for both Olga, and Miss Tohsaka here. Even though I've done some work for Olga, that doesn't mean I've done it for Miss Tohsaka yet. So it's going to take at least a day and a half before I'm fully done."

Kairi studies Erik, thinking, before nodding slowly. "I get that. Sounds like a better plan than anything else I can come up with. Anything else you'll be up to?"

Erik sighs, softly. "Well, I've got a meeting around Noon with Miss Tohsaka. I should really get in contact with my Mars base, the Wolf Home, since it's still orbiting Mars, and we need to figure out if Zelretch is keeping his promise to keep them fed, and having enough air. Add in figuring out what exactly happened to the nuclear reactors to leave them going offline so fast... my ship is like the damned Millenium Falcon. Always needs repairs, even if I love it."

Mordred laughs, before speaking up. "Yeah, I can see it. It's old, needs a slap sometimes to fully work, but when it does work, it works WELL. At least you don't have an asteroid scene to worry about, right?"

Erik laughs. "We did, actually! Not too bad of one, considering it was a meteor shower, but it was a pain in my ass to realign several of the weapons at the time."

"No space worms, I hope!" Mordred grins now, as Tamamo giggles softly in the background.

"No, thankfully for me and my hubby, there were no space worms in the meteor shower, thankfully! Still, your Master and Miss Aozaki are looking confused. If you'd like, while my hubby works on the ship, I can turn the Star Wars series on for you to watch, along with your daughter, Mr. Sisigou."

"Watch? Like... ah, a movie?" He sounds confused, though slowly less so.

"Yes, it's a famous American film series."

"Huh. I think my daughter would like that, even if she's in bad shape... sounds fine. And you Mordred? Will you be joining us?"

"Nah, sorry Master. I watched the first 6 movies last night. They've got movies from 2025!"

"Huh. Really? That much of a time difference for you and us, then?" Kairi Sisigou raises an eyebrow, then rubs his chin.

"Yeah. I suspect Zelretch had a hand in things, but it could have been the Heart of Winter, at the end." Erik sighs, then stretches as he finishes off the last of his food. "Well, time for me to get to work. I'll be able to talk at Noon, Miss Tohsaka, for when you're ready to chat. Meet me at the bridge, then?"

She nods at Erik, while eating. "Thank you for the meal, Miss Ulricson! It's quite tasty, I think you should share tips with Archer here... Archer, get over here! You should trade cooking tips with the Goddess, you'll never know when you'll get another chance!"

The Wolfen, Main Bridge
    11:55 AM

Erik smiles, settling back into his chair, now that he's alone. Everyone else leaving him, either to cook for lunch, or to do other things, leaves him with the perfect opportunity for this.

"Scylla? Put me through to Shirou Kotomine, please."

"No problem, Boss. Any tips if he hangs up?"

"Make the drones ring like his phone does, anyways, all around him."

"Hah! That should freak him the fuck out!"

"I know, right?"

"Connecting now, Boss!"

Erik smiles, listening, as the phone rings.

"Hello?"

"Good morning, Shirou Kotomine. I thought we'd call and have a chat."

"You found my number, I see."

"Indeed."

"Wishing to surrender, perhaps?"

A loud laugh from Erik. "No, not particularly. I called to warn you. We're supposed to technically be working together, as the Red Faction, after all."

"Warn me of what?"

Erik sighs, softly. "That's the tricky part. Me, my wife, my ship, and the other passengers wound up here with our Mars colony, from another universe, where the ancient foes of the Gods, the Titans, merged into an eldritch abomination that literally ate all life on Earth, and was hunting for an artifact I'd saved. Thing is, there was no real guidance for the dimensional jump."

"An eldritch... abomination. You know, if I hadn't seen for myself that you were a Demi-god rather than a Servant, I wouldn't believe you, right now, right?"

"Fair enough. Thing is, the artifact, known as the Heart of Winter left my shift mid-jump, and went straight for Earth, then wound up in Caster of Black's hands."

"So that's what that little war was about. Do go on, then."

"Well, see, the idiot decided he was going to stuff it into his Noble Phantasm, and according to Frost Titan prophecy, the damned thing can summon a 2 or three mile wide chunk of ice to cause Fimbulwinter."

"Oh. That's..."

"I know, right? And the damned thing seems to have safety systems built into it, that guided it straight to Caster of Black. More than that, the entirety of Yggdmillenia can't FIND it in their own castle anymore."

"Why call me, then?"

"Your Servant smelled of poison, and divinity. One I'm unfamiliar with, from the pantheons back home. If she can sense Divinity, or Divine weapons, she might have a chance of destroying it if I don't."

"So you're effectively warning me in case you fail to deal with it?"

"Eh. Pretty much, to be honest. Neither of us want a planet buster involved in this stuff, you know what I mean? I don't know what YOU want specifically out of this Grail War, but it's probably just as important to you as the wishes are to the other Masters and Servants I've met so far."

"Fair enough, I suppose. Anything else to know about the situation, then, oh Norse Demigod?"

"Call me Erik. And... a guy I met, on the road, named Zelretch? Perhaps you've heard of him?"

"I have, yes. And Erik, hmm? Good to know."

"Well, he warned me that Caster of Black planned on activating his Noble Phantasm between the third and fifth of this month. Either today, up to two days from now."

"And yet he's dead."

"That doesn't mean it's not still in a partially complete Noble Phantasm, keeping the damned room hidden."

"Touche. If I get close, I'll make sure she tries to find it, and does her best to destroy it."

"Glad to hear it, then. Sure I can't convince you to work with me, though?"

"...Would you be willing to sacrifice your wish to save humanity?"

"To be fair, I'm more worried about not having to nuke Trifas, to get rid of the Heart of Winter."

"Nuke? I'm afraid I'm not quite familiar with that term..."

"Ever heard of an Atomic Bomb?"

"You have one."

"It's really, REALLY nice to be a one-man nuclear state."

"Suddenly, I find myself more terrified about the concept of facing you. Still, perhaps we could come to some form of deal later. Would you perhaps give me a chance of contact?"

"I'll send you a cell phone, before you leave for whatever you're up to."

"How DID you find me, by the way?"

"Invisible flying drones with microphones, and some with video cameras."

"Suddenly I'm worried that my Assassin's dove network isn't nearly as good as your spy network."

"Likely not."

"This... Heart of Winter, was it? Are you sure you're not overblowing the situation with it?"

"I met the leader of the Frost Giants, personally. More than once, even. He put 5% of his people's income into searching for the damned thing, and admitted as much to myself. Admittedly, I learned it after I'd claimed the damned thing, and hid it. But you don't put millions of dollars per year into searching for something without it being powerful. I built a damned sword around the thing, to use it as a power source. The damned thing was like an endlessly full battery that wouldn't run dry. One that could make blizzards on demand! While INACTIVE, no less."

"Ah. That's... somewhat terrifying."

"Why do you think I'm freaking out so much, and willing to deploy war machines? Even if Caster of Black is Dead, I don't know if his Noble Phantasm was destroyed with him, since he had to construct the damned thing."

"Which means it might still be somewhat functional, and capable of attacking."

"Which is why I'm warning you. It acted like a giant battery. Considering that after several millenia, it hasn't lost any real amounts of power?"

"If I wasn't a man of the cloth, I'd be cursing right now."

Erik pauses, at a knock at the door, before breathing out. "Right. I forgot I scheduled that. Mind if I call you later, so we can figure things out between us more?"

"That would be... appreciated, I suppose. I'd rather not have you nuke ME, after all."

"Fair enough. Good day, then."

Roll Notes:
    6+5+5+7+7+5+8+6+8+22+29
    Smithing, Ice, Pykrete, Engineering, Cybernetics, Legend, Relics, Divine, then Intelligence, specifically. Followed up by a 22 for epic intelligence, and a 29 for the goggles
    57D10E8 => 15 | 10s: 9, ones: 4 = 20. 20 + 22 + 29 = 71 successes
    DV of 45 passed! Secret second DV of 65 passed!
    Prototype Artorium (Poor) gained!
    I'm going to be honest here. I did not think this roll was going to be passed this way. But sometimes, a God just working in his forge can come across neat stuff by accident, too!

That, and Erik's goggles are bullshit that actually DO something neat.

Concept to Execution roll for the ichor filtration machine...

Intelligence + Science + Legend. I've been forgetting to add LEGEND to all my rolls?! Ugh.

Okay, that's going to be a pain to alter my math later... eh. I'll take one for the team and just ignore it for the other rolls for now.
    Engineering, Electricity... add a malus for the electricity in the concept to execution...
    8 + 9 + 5 + 8 + 22
    30 + 22
    DV of... 13. Huh. Yeah, that's simple.
    30D10E8 => 9 | 10s: 4, ones: 4 = 9. 9 + 22 = 31
    Easy pass.

Starting Legend:
    17/64
    Legend use:
    5 legend for Concept to Execution
    3 legend to produce the blood for the forging of low grade Artorium.
    3 legend to counter the aggravated damage of nearly bleeding out to fuel the reactor.
    Current Legend:
    6/64

Edit: Glanced over the chapter, and had to do the formatting all over again. Argh.
    Last edited by RanmaBushiko; June 4th, 2019 at 10:25 PM.
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

I write like Douglas Adams. Proof: http://iwl.me/s/696f37bd

Blog Entries
    Ugh... that's got to suck a whole lot. I hope Kieran's hands can get over whatever's afflicting them soon.

Now... I really need to learn how to get some better insight for these sorts of things. I can't figure out how to comment on the chapters at hand. =_=

EDIT: I hate my computer and internet at this rate... that was not supposed to be three of the above messages split between two update lines.
    Last edited by Xamusel; June 3rd, 2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    MHXX nods, settling back, even as she removes her armor. Erik, in turn, raises an eyebrow as he glances her direction. "Huh. Need anything to wear on top of that stuff? I'm pretty sure a bikini is fucking cold in here right now."
    I think the bold here is actually Erik speaking, so shouldn't be bold.

It takes seconds for the small microwave sized machine to do it's work, extracting blood from him, and filtering it. Copper based blood in one side, and ichor, black reflecting rainbow color in the other. For a moment, confusion flickers in Erik's eyes, as a sheen of gold appears on it, before it flickers back to normal.
    Hmmmm. I can't find any reference to what ichor is expected to look like, but I'm assuming the sheen is indicating his sealed full divinity in some way. He's probably missing something about attunement or needing to sacrifice Legend for the reactor, or it just doesn't work with the set of metaphysics he's operating under here, or he just needs to work on it more (presumably his future self has his full divinity's worth of skills to work with developing that).

Really like the development of MHXX and Erik's relationship, glad it's being explored. Mordred bonding over cutting things is also nice.

Heh, MHXX is prepping Mordred for the eventual revelation of her identity. Good foresight. Might have some unintended consequences with everyone else on Red (or at least Mordred/Kairi) ALSO knowing a large chunk of what happened in canon Apocrypha. Mordred mentioned 13 Servants, though, which doesn't add up unless that's 13 OTHER servants (and Mordred doesn't remember Jeanne).

Love Rin sassing Archer to improve his cooking. We haven't even hit peak cooking, Beni-Enma is nowhere to be seen!

Sassing Shirou as well, of course. I do wonder if the Hanging Gardens are complete yet, I feel like phoning him in those might be strange. That seems like probably not. I like how matter-of-factly he takes things, reminds me of me.

I like the retroactive Concept to Execution, it's like "oh yeah, I have one of these". Definitely a peripheral sort of item, but useful given the amount of ichor he's going to be using. The amount of Legend he's spending on that and the regeneration though, seems like Tamamo should be beating him for not resting. Even if he takes 2 days of not spending legend, unless he heavily abuses alternative generation sources, he's not even half-full.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xamusel View Post
    Ugh... that's got to suck a whole lot. I hope Kieran's hands can get over whatever's afflicting them soon.
    Nerve strain/damage - basically, time off a computer, and a lot of anti-inflammatories are all I can do. Means limited typing, and preferably none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Hmmmm. I can't find any reference to what ichor is expected to look like, but I'm assuming the sheen is indicating his sealed full divinity in some way. He's probably missing something about attunement or needing to sacrifice Legend for the reactor, or it just doesn't work with the set of metaphysics he's operating under here, or he just needs to work on it more (presumably his future self has his full divinity's worth of skills to work with developing that).
    Not quite . . . In the interests of potential spoilers, I'll just note that one of the Scion books (can't remember which one) describes ichor as black, and reflecting all the colours of the rainbow . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Nerve strain/damage - basically, time off a computer, and a lot of anti-inflammatories are all I can do. Means limited typing, and preferably none at all.
    Be good to yourself, man.

Not quite . . . In the interests of potential spoilers, I'll just note that one of the Scion books (can't remember which one) describes ichor as black, and reflecting all the colours of the rainbow . . .
    Well, traditional mythology ichor is just straight golden. My next guess is that this relates to
    Erik sighs, softly, and rubs his forehead. "I don't know for sure, except it involved the Frost Purview... and one of them mentioning that I was somehow 'Of his Blood, and having a small fragment of his power'. But tonight's the first night where I actually got a lot of rest, from nightmares involving that, and having accepted... only to become a monster who couldn't love my wife, or anyone I knew."
    though it's also possibly just that he's being altered due to dimensional influence changing the nature of his powers.

Also, I just noticed RanmaBushiko isn't writing first person in this one. Nice work! (since Kieran mentioned he was trying to break you of the habit)

Blog Entries
    Hey, Kieran, I have a suggestion. Why not use speech to text software and transcribe the story stuff you have in mind?

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

My guess is that the editing of whatever speech-to-text gives him would probably be about as much typing as doing it himself (particularly given how precise he seems to be about word choice and grammar), but speech-to-text has gotten better over the years, so it might be worth trying again?

Might also just be not a good medium for writing, I know that I have a much easier time refining statements with in-place edits and picking words carefully, while with text-to-speech, stopping on a single word feels a bit more awkward, and you're going to be using the mouse or keyboard a lot for edits/replacement. Haven't tried it myself beyond the simple "what are the words I just spoke" cases though, so you might be able to do some more refined sorts of edits via just speech with appropriate software.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

Now... I really need to learn how to get some better insight for these sorts of things. I can't figure out how to comment on the chapters at hand. =_=

EDIT: I hate my computer and internet at this rate... that was not supposed to be three of the above messages split between two update lines.
    Yeah. I do get that.

I think the bold here is actually Erik speaking, so shouldn't be bold.

Really like the development of MHXX and Erik's relationship, glad it's being explored. Mordred bonding over cutting things is also nice.

Heh, MHXX is prepping Mordred for the eventual revelation of her identity. Good foresight. Might have some unintended consequences with everyone else on Red (or at least Mordred/Kairi) ALSO knowing a large chunk of what happened in canon Apocrypha. Mordred mentioned 13 Servants, though, which doesn't add up unless that's 13 OTHER servants (and Mordred doesn't remember Jeanne).

Love Rin sassing Archer to improve his cooking. We haven't even hit peak cooking, Beni-Enma is nowhere to be seen!

Sassing Shirou as well, of course. I do wonder if the Hanging Gardens are complete yet, I feel like phoning him in those might be strange. That seems like probably not. I like how matter-of-factly he takes things, reminds me of me.

I like the retroactive Concept to Execution, it's like "oh yeah, I have one of these". Definitely a peripheral sort of item, but useful given the amount of ichor he's going to be using. The amount of Legend he's spending on that and the regeneration though, seems like Tamamo should be beating him for not resting. Even if he takes 2 days of not spending legend, unless he heavily abuses alternative generation sources, he's not even half-full.
    Thanks for catching that bold being in the wrong spot.

I'll go over the ichor a bit later in this reply.

As for the rest... yes, to a point, MHXX is preparing Mordred for the reveal of who she is. It's also important for the future, too. As for "13 servants", she remembered a bit of Canon Apocrypha in Fate/Grand Order, which I'm paraphrasing.

Rin... she's hoping to see Archer go for an Iron Chef cooking challenge against Tamamo, who's the goddess of happy housewives. And considering she's a firm believer that a happy husband is a well FED husband, her kitchen skills are better than Shirou Emiya's. Let's face it, it would be hilarious.

As for Shirou Kotomine, he's going to likely try to bargain with Erik, so he doesn't have to worry about a nuclear warhead hitting the Greater Grail. He's not exactly STUPID, and realizing your opponent was nice enough to not just nuke everything and retrieve things from the ashes... puts things nicely into scale for him.

At the same time, he's screaming internally. And swearing. A lot.

As for the Concept to Execution, Erik has the knack Multitasking, which lets him do 8 things at once. So while he was talking with her, and working things out, he was developing, and then quickly assembling the machine.

But yeah, that regeneration cost hurts. And if Tamamo finds out what he was up to, she's going to be miffed. (And possibly get him binge drinking to recover...)

Thankfully for Erik, the rest of his work is going to be pretty tame in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post

I am sorry your hands are so bad off. But yeah, that's why I want to do an interlude.

Be good to yourself, man.

Well, traditional mythology ichor is just straight golden. My next guess is that this relates to

though it's also possibly just that he's being altered due to dimensional influence changing the nature of his powers.

Also, I just noticed RanmaBushiko isn't writing first person in this one. Nice work! (since Kieran mentioned he was trying to break you of the habit)
    Yeah, it's kind of spoiler heavy, for the ichor issues. I will say, in his home universe, Ichor was black with a rainbow sheen. And we're not going into things for WHY the Ichor is the way it is, because of heavy PLOT and SPOILERS reasons that hasn't hit yet. And yeah, I'm working to write less in first person.

Hey, Kieran, I have a suggestion. Why not use speech to text software and transcribe the story stuff you have in mind?

It might be an idea, but if most of them I've heard are to go by, it's going to require a lot of rewriting once he can finally write again. Or spelling a word letter by letter. And some of those NAMES alone...
    I'm starting to suspect that talking with Kieran influences my rolls on Fate/Grand Order Heavily. How else can you explain me talking with him, then rolling for 30, only to get 3 Archer of Shinjuku on my second ten roll?

Blog Entries

Chapter 27 – Important Conversations

DISCLAIMER: Lunar Legend Tsukihime, Fate/Stay Night, and all related characters and concepts are the creation and property of Kinoko Nasu and TYPE-MOON, along with whomever they’ve happened to license them to, such as Geneon, Funimation, A-1 Pictures and Netflix.

This is a not-for-profit, just-for-fun project.

Millennia Fortress
    Trifas, Romania
    July 3, 2004

Caules frowned as he looked at the computer screen. Unlike his sister, along with most traditional magi, he was reasonably well-versed in modern technology and its uses. True, Fiore was better than a lot of magi—thanks to her association with Godafrid, she not only knew what cell phones and DVD players were, she could actually use them.

(Some distance away, Rin suddenly sneezed, and had the irritating feeling that she was being insulted, albeit indirectly.)

But still, things like the general and theoretical uses of personal computers, the Internet, and security camera networks were outside her comfort zone, if not necessarily her comprehension; Fiore was no idiot, after all. She might not fully understand how they worked, but the potential value of them, once their nature was explained to her, was perfectly clear—and in the sudden failure of their usual agents and methods, invaluable.

For her part, Berserker sat quietly, seemingly fascinated by the evidence of how far science had advanced since her creation. Caules knew that the Greater Grail granted Servants an information package of some form, to allow them to function in the environment of the Holy Grail War alongside their Masters, but was unsure of just what it contained. He doubted that it was detailed enough to include the World Wide Web, though it wasn’t as though he could ask Berserker directly, given the effort she had to make to speak . . .

Still, Caules supposed that the idea of being able to access virtually all forms of libraries and clerical records from the comfort of one’s own home was a novel one, if nothing else.

“I guess your . . . Creator would be impressed with this,” Caules remarked quietly, as a general topic of conversation. “So much knowledge available, so easily, I mean.”

“Un!” Berserker drew up sharply, frowning. Her fingers were tightening into fists—or, given her history, perhaps just a throttling position . . .

Caules hastily backpedaled; mentioning him had obviously been a mistake.

“I’m sorry,” he said quickly, “I shouldn’t have brought him up . . . I’m just not sure what else to talk with you about, but at the same time, it seems rude to just ignore you when you’re sitting there.”

“Ah . . .” Her head tilted to one side, surprise evident on her face—Caules supposed that she wasn’t used to anyone treating her politely.

What little he’d dreamed of her life so far had made that clear enough.

“Mm?” Berserker grunted inquisitively, pointing at the computer screen. The young magus blinked, and then realised that while he had told her something of web browsing, he hadn’t explained exactly what he was looking for.

“The man who was going to summon Assassin for us went to London, to get the catalyst he wanted,” Caules began, “and I’ve been trying to follow records of his trail from there, because we’ve lost contact with him. From London, apparently took a flight to Japan, of all places—either because he lives there, or because he was trying to throw off suspicion as to his ultimate destination. It’s not a bad idea, because the Association, who assembled the Red Faction, don’t have too much in the way of resources—or interest, really—in the Orient. And even less so since the Greater Grail vanished from there.

“From there, things get tricky,” Caules admitted. “All of the contact information we have for the Master is useless; he’s not responding to any messages we send, and neither are the homunculi we sent with him. And like the Clock Tower, we didn’t have any other local agents in the area, either. But I was able to look through local newspaper archives from there, and while the program I’m using to let me read them isn’t the best”—he silently cursed Google Translate—“I can get certain facts from the context.”

Berserker’s head tilted again, birdlike, and she gestured at him to go on.

“Apparently, there was a ‘grisly nightclub slaying’ in Japan that the police are having a hard time solving,” Caules noted. “A number of the victims were butchered to the point of being nearly unrecognisable, but with some of the wounds being described as ‘having almost surgical precision.’ And the latter includes the removal of their hearts—which is exactly what a Servant looking to consume souls for maximum potential prana output would do.”

Berserker growled at that, startling the magus. He was unsure how much of his explanation she truly understood, under the influence of Mad Enhancement as she was, but her disapproval of the act was clear enough.

Good to know, Caules acknowledged, filing that information away for future use—even as he acknowledged the irony that someone known as a monster in human understanding was apparently more scrupulous than a number of magi . . .

. . . Whether that number included himself Caules wasn’t wholly sure, while hoping he would never have to find out; he was sure that it didn’t include Fiore, though—or probably Godafrid, for that matter. His sister had told him about what happened with the Archibalds; the full story, unlike anyone else but Darnic. And nobody who was capable of being that defensive of someone else was liable to be capable of doing that much harm to someone who theoretically didn’t deserve it.

(. . . Like, for example, anyone who hurt Fiore—which was an attitude Caules had to admit that he fully approved of.)

“They have no leads, of course,” Caules continued, “because an Assassin-class Servant wouldn’t be very good if they left traces behind . . . But in Bucharest, a similar event happened late last night—and we lost contact with the agents we had watching the airport there. Moreover, from the looks of things, so did the Clock Tower.

Berserker nodded.

Caules shook his head. “I can’t tell if our Master’s gone rogue, or his Servant was stolen by another magus—but it has to be one or the other, because I can’t see the Servant itself surviving long enough to get here without a contractor unless it has a very high Independent Action rating. And that’s rare for an Assassin class . . .”

“Probably because they’re so dangerous to Masters,” he admitted. “The founders of the Grail War likely didn’t want them just eliminating their summoners and all the other Masters out of hand . . .” Aware that he was drifting off on a tangent, Caules shook his head.

“In any case, I’m tracking flights that came to Bucharest from Tokyo—well, actually, connecting flights, because there aren’t any direct flights from there. I’m hoping that I can match passengers that came off the plane with known magi; either by appearance, or by alias.” Caules sighed. “. . . It’s all I can think of to do.”

Berserker groaned piteously in response—and, tentatively, reached out. Startled at the unexpected movement, Caules froze . . . And was quite shocked when she awkwardly patted his hand twice.

“. . . Thank you,” he said wonderingly. “That’s—very kind of you.”

“Uhhhh,” the Servant responded, bowing her head shyly, making her bangs fall further forward.

Feeling his own cheeks heat up, Caules coughed, glanced away, and resumed his lecture.

“Of course,” he concluded, “even if I manage to find Assassin or their Master, there’s no telling what our response should be. Ideally, we’d send my elder sister with Archer to cover her—the range of his class plus his own Clairvoyance rating ought to keep her safe enough, and maybe even allow him to spot Assassin without Fiore ever being close enough to be at risk . . . But that’s only possible if he’s healed by then. If he’s not . . . We send Rider, maybe? He ought to be able to unobtrusively cover the area—or at least be mobile enough to retreat if necessary.” He frowned. “Celenike isn’t the most diplomatic of magi, though—or very subtle, come to that . . .”

“Un?” Berserker pointed at him and herself.

“. . . Maybe,” Caules admitted, “but you have to admit that if it comes to a fight, you’re better off fighting with the freedom to go all-out, and a potentially public confrontation isn’t that kind of situation—whereas an Archer’s ability to kill from afar, or Rider’s potential to be a hit-and-run attacker, is better suited for a suddenly-fatal, easily-covered-up strike.”

The Servant groaned in disappointment, and now he reached out to pat her hand.

“Don’t be upset over it,” he said, attempting to reassure her. “It’s not your fault that you’re best-suited to a direct, open battle—but I would be a very poor Master if I didn’t take that into account. It wouldn’t do either of us any good if I insisted on sending you into a fight where you were at a disadvantage; or if I didn’t try to give you every advantage I could.”

. . . It was hard to tell with her hair in her face, Caules realised, to say nothing of its colour—but was she blushing . . .?

Battleship Wolfen
    Sighișoara, Romania

XX paced anxiously, as she waited for news of Ruler’s recovery. She had met versions of Tamamo-no-Mae before (she was listed as a “known associate” of Nero Claudius, one of the many Sabers on her extermination list) so she knew how competent the Servant tended to be—and how tough Jeanne d’Arc was, as well. XX had little doubt that Ruler would, therefore, recover; it was the “Pseudo-Servant” aspect of things that worried her.

All the others never seemed to have an issue with it—but they were mostly magi, whereas Jeanne’s host is just an ordinary human.

Even in her younger days, XX would’ve been sympathetic to Ruler’s current condition. In the beginning, she would’ve insisted that Jeanne be restored to full health before challenging her—and even after the adjustment in her ways that her Master had taught her, she would at the very least have offered the woman a quick, painless death in comparison to her present state . . .

As if summoned by her thoughts, said Master appeared, his “late breakfast” apparently done. XX expected that he’d either been calling Fiore-san before coming to eat, or had been up late doing so and slept in. She had no particular problems with his mission to ensure the Forvedge siblings’ survival, obviously, but if this was his idea of being discreet, she wondered how he’d ever managed to—

Beneath her faceplate, the Foreigner scowled suddenly. This was getting annoying; she knew she was in her Master’s past, relatively speaking, but it was impossible to tell how far! She could mess up so many things if she got it wrong, but it was looking more and more like she would actually have to ask—

“So,” her Master’s voice interrupted her train of thought, “I figure it’s been at least two years for you since we last crossed paths, but I don’t suppose you know how long it’s been for me?

“Eh?!” XX froze so completely that the servomotors in her armour locked audibly again. She heard the words, and even knew their meanings, but she couldn’t quite understand what he’d just said. Running it over again in her head just raised more questions. “I . . . What?”

Her Master gave her that look. The one that simultaneously said, “I am so disappointed in you for being a stereotypical blonde,” and “Who do you think you’re kidding?” After holding it a beat, he sighed, glanced around with one ear cocked, and then whispered a word.

“. . . YOU KNEW IT WAS ME THE WHOLE TIME?!

XX . . . no, she might as well be honest. Artoria Pendragon was mortified. Here she was, being so careful and thinking herself so clever—and he’d obviously known who she was from the beginning. He had to have, if he knew exactly how long it had been since her graduation from Cosmo Chaldea High . . .

. . . And not even Ecchan ever called me “Tori”—he’s the only one who ever dared shorten my name like that.

She still wasn’t sure whether to find it endearing or infuriating . . .

With a sigh, Artoria went into “parade rest” mode; the state of uniform dictated when heavy armour or immediate combat wasn’t required, but things weren’t so relaxed that she could discard Avalon entirely. This meant that a lot of her armour retracted into extra-dimensional storage; there was no further point in trying to hide her identity from him, after all.

And as a bonus, it meant that she could glare at him properly.

While doing exactly that, Artoria muttered darkly, “You really are a very troublesome Master.”

“You and Archer of Red should compare notes,” he fired back, grinning. “Tori, what’s my non-mutant super power again?”

“. . . You know stuff,” she admitted in a small voice, while avoiding his gaze.

It was arguably the truest thing about him, and she thought she’d grown to the point that she was prepared for it, this time—but it looked like he was still on a level she couldn’t reach yet, and that was incredibly frustrating . . . But it was oddly reassuring, too. Because it meant that her Master was probably still three steps ahead of anyone else in this War, and any problems they faced either had a solution tucked away in his head, or would by the time they got around to facing them—

“I do know stuff,” he remarked, breaking into her train of thought again, “but not everything, which is why I asked the question: how long do you think it’s been for me?”

Artoria sighed, “. . . Honestly? I could’ve first met you the day after this War ends, or it could be a decade; it’s not like your appearance means anything in regards to your age, even if you did show it much. All I can go by is what I don’t see or hear, what people or things you don’t mention—which you wouldn’t, when you’re on an infiltration job. After all, why would you wear your ring if your alias wasn’t even known for wearing jewellery, never mind—?”

Seeing his eyes widen at that, she hastily blurted out, “CLASSIFIED!

Mental note: she now hated time travel . . .

He stared at her for a long moment, and said at last, “Moving on . . . Is there anything that you do think I ought to know?”

Now Artoria’s eyes went wide. The sheer temptation of that particular question to mess with—or mess up—the future . . .

(. . . Or history, or future-history—whatever it was properly called! She wasn’t a scientist or a philosopher, she didn’t know these things!)

Slowly, she took a breath, closing her eyes and considering what she might say, what she probably should say, and what she wanted to say.

“. . . When you meet me, back then,” Artoria said at last, “make absolutely sure you’re wearing a cup—and don’t worry, your little sister will be fine.

Though a spiritual being now, Jeanne d’Arc had once been mortal—and vulnerable to “all the ills that flesh is heir to,” as it was put. As such, the feverish feeling and outright burning in her veins as she awoke was not unfamiliar . . .

But that knowledge in no way made it less unpleasant to endure.

Her veins burned; it was a dry, desiccating heat that sucked all the moisture from her body, making it feel difficult to breathe, along with light-headedness. It was, again, not an unfamiliar sensation, recalling the height of summer during a drought, but not in any way which brought comfort. It made even the act of opening her eyes a tedious one; in the face of such distress, her all-too-human urge was to burrow away from it, and seek solace in oblivious sleep—

Her nose smelled it before it reached her lips: fresh, cool water. It was a testament to both her faith and her resiliency as a Heroic Spirit that she could thank God for such mercy, and not gulp it down with all the urgency her currently-mortal body demanded.

“Bless you . . .” she croaked, once she’d emptied the container.

“Goodness me,” chuckled the water-bearer’s voice. “A blessing is a little redundant, I’m afraid—but I appreciate the intention, Miss d’Arc . . . That is the correct name, is it not? I’m afraid I’m not terribly well-versed in Western naming conventions of the medieval period.”

“. . . It will serve,” Jeanne answered, too tired and confused to really understand the rest of that—

And then she opened her eyes, and “too confused” took on an entirely new meaning, because her caretaker was a cheerful-seeming, white-haired woman in Japanese robes, with a pair of enormous fox ears atop her head . . . And a matching tail, of course.

True Name: Tamamo-no-Mae, her Discernment told her. Class: N/A

Jeanne tensed. Another entity whose name she could see, but with no listed Class . . .? Just what was going on?

“Goodness me,” the fox-woman remarked in an amused tone, “it’s rather impolite of you not to allow me to introduce myself . . . Though I suppose you cannot actually help it, can you?”

A bright (indeed, dare she say, positively vulpine) smile crossed her features, as she continued, “As you’ve no doubt discerned, Miss d’Arc, I am Tamamo-no-Mae, and a kitsune—though not she who resides upon the—‘Throne of Heroes,’ I believe it’s called?” Her ears twitched inquisitively. “To speak formally, I am Tamamo-no-Mae of the Aesir, bride of Erik Ulfricson, Goddess of Foxes, Fortune, Subtlety and Housewives.”

Jeanne tried to keep her face composed, but something must have shown through, as the “kitsune” added, “. . . It’s a long and complicated tale, not suited to these circumstances.”

“I—” A sudden tightening in her chest drew Jeanne’s breath up short, causing her to pause and wheeze for a moment before trying again. “I imagine so.”

Tamamo’s frown was emphasised by the flattening of her ears. “Oh my, that won’t do at all . . .” She refilled the water cup, mixing in a small sachet’s worth of powders even as she tsked in irritation, “That venom is remarkably stubborn; the Orochi itself—or Jörmungandr, for that matter—could hardly have asked for better than such a vicious concoction.”

The new libation was spiced with herbal flavours that loosened the knot in her chest considerably, even as they left a tingling in their wake.

“I am familiar with neither such beast,” Jeanne began—and then paused. “Ah. My apologies; the Grail’s knowledge base has corrected my ignorance, and I concur with your sentiments, Lady Tamamo.”

The kitsune smiled. “It is my hope that you’ll concur with more than that, Miss d’Arc.” Her expression became serious. “As you have already seen for yourself, Assassin of Red and her Master have gone rogue; and as we’ve discovered, the same can be said of the Assassin of Black. Neither we of the Red Faction—nor, I expect, the Black Faction—have an interest in seeing their particular brands of chaos and destruction continue.

“Therefore, Ruler of the Great Holy Grail War,” she intoned formally, “my lord husband and his fellow Masters would like to discuss with you the possibility of a suspension of hostilities, that the two Assassins can be dealt with before further harm is done . . .”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Oh boy! You updated with a new chapter, Kieran!

...admittedly a day late, I'll grant that. Still, hope your wrists get better, man.

More cute Caules and Fran, excellent.

Frid messing with XX for the future knowledge advantage, seems useful. I almost forgot he hadn't told her he knew. I assume he's getting the 2 years from dialogue from the Saber Wars event or something, I definitely don't remember that one well. Interesting that Frid has a ring in the future, I guess that marriage is going through, unless it's some magic ring for some other reason. "Wearing a cup"... ohh, he's getting kicked.

True Name Discernment on a non-servant but legendary being, makes sense. Interesting that we're attempting to hunt down both Assassins, but logical. I suspect we're going after Jack first, though.

EDIT: Yeah, be careful with your wrists. Sounds like you were mostly done this chapter before they flared up, so while you probably know your condition better than anonymous internet people, I'd expect them to still be pretty bad.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; June 15th, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I blame writers block on how Illyasviel would interact with Erik, here for the lateness of the chapter, and writer's block on the attempted interlude. Sorry, folks.

Chapter 28: Four For A War

Noon, June 3rd, 2004
    The Wolfen
    Erik's Personal Office

"So. Archer. What do you think he's talking about in there?" Rin bemusedly asks, while she approaches the door.

"It seems too solid for me to hear through, unfortunately. However, when we get there, I suspect he'll apologize for calling you a Tsundere earlier, Master. He's relying on our good will, after all." Archer replies, as he reads through the pamphlet on the situation, thinking.

"Anything I should know about in the pamphlet, then?" Rin moves, adjusting herself, then tries to look at his open pamphlet.

"They left most of society in 1999 on a stupidly huge star ship, and arrived at Mars in 2000. Apparently a bunch of Gods were dicks, and wanted to punish him for breaking the Norse Pantheon's fate to get eaten by the Fenris Wolf, in exchange for accidentally unsealing the Titans in the process."

"So, sore losers, then?" Rin muses, thinking, while studying Archer.

"Yeah, pretty much. It seems like most of the ones from Japan were arrogant assholes who didn't let people become Gods if they didn't bow a few centimeters shorter than they did." Archer frowns, then sighs. "It's honestly irritating."

Rin sighs. "Well, at least he seems to be a nice one?"

Archer nods, as they arrive to the door, but flinches, rapidly spinning as he hears a voice from behind.

"Of course he's nice. Erik unsealed my chains, after all. Convinced me that pranking Odin, then leaving for Mars with him and his wife, as well as his people, would be a better option than staying with those asshole Gods." Fenris moves out of the shadows, studying them.

"I... see..." Rin shivers, studying him. "May I ask why?"

Fenris studies her, then smiles a wide smile, showing all of his teeth. "I'd rather leave Erik confused about the specifics of things in the past. Let's just say that he'd be more pissed with my father than he is, if he figured out everything Loki was up to. Suffice to say, considering how he already hates my father with a passion for fucking things up, and turning the Titans into an Abomination... Erik would try to go back for revenge, like my idiotic sire did, if he knew everything that was involved - even if the fool's more than likely already dead."

"I... that's good to know. I'm sorry, though. No one should have to fight their father." Rin breathes out, bowing her head for a moment.

"In my case, don't be. The man was nearly the only intellectual in a pantheon of jocks, as the modern term calls it." Fenris snorts, then sighs. "Odin being the other one, admittedly. But my fool of a father wanted to use me to destroy the pantheon, more than once. Erik was the only one to look beyond my slavering maw, my huge teeth, and my being the size of a mountain, to wish to talk. To learn. To help me find joy, peace and happiness. And the worst thing? The very worst thing about it all?"

Rin shivers, studying the Godly wolf before her. "What, may I ask?"

"They made excuses for everything. They claimed I would eat all the animals so they couldn't eat. They claimed dozens of excuses, to claim their fear wasn't real. Hilariously enough? They could easily make new species of animal, just to feed me. They just chose NOT TO." Fenris growls low, then sighs, settling back on his hind legs, to study them both.

"Don't talk with him about what we've discussed, hmm? My own divinity grows each day I'm here, and I'd rather not have to eat you two to silence you. You're guests, so I'd rather not have to do it, but keep in mind that I'm not very nice to those that reveal my secrets, and we'll get along fine."

Archer nods towards the massive wolf, before Rin slowly sighs and does the same. "Very well then." Rin looks at Fenris before her. "I'll keep it quiet, unless he finds out from a different way."

Fenris nods, smiling with no teeth showing, this time. "Fair enough. Oh, and Archer? You may be asked to help with astralizing a divine artifact in the next few days. Much like he knows you, or your father, could do so with Avalon."

Archer stills, for a long moment, before a slight "Damn it." emerges from under his breath. Fenris's grin widens, showing teeth once more for a long moment, before he moves off.

"Good day to you both. Glad we understand things, the three of us." Fenris' voice echoes, in the hallway as he moves away.

"Fuck, he's terrifying, Archer. I can imagine he's much like meeting Primate Murder." Rin shakily breathes out, adjusting herself from where she moved behind him, not even fully realizing she had done so until the end.

Elsewhere on the Wolfen, Fou sneezes, then blinks. "Fou?"

"I fully agree, Rin. But he seems to be on our side for now. Let's knock, and get the meeting started, though. First things first, right?"

Rin breathes out, and knocks. Soon afterwards, it opens up, showing Erik in a massive chair, along with a green screen, a white board, and a massive mahogany desk.

"Welcome to my office. Sit down, and let's talk. Do you care for refreshments, or anything?" Erik smiles at them, calmly.

"Tea would be nice, if you have any." Rin looks around the room. It's spartan. There seems to be a big round sphere, with a lens on his table, as well as a microphone, drawers, and several designs and blueprints on the table.

"Interesting. A setup for recording video?" Archer studies things, more in detail, before smiling.

"Indeed. When we first left for Mars, a lot of the people we took with to colonize Mars in our home universe, all needed entertainment, especially game shows and the like." Erik smiles. "So we did a lot of videos, from silly cooking shows, all the way to crazy hide and go seek challenges. Did you know that the 'Mecha Manhunt' version of hide and go seek is the most popular one?"

Rin pauses, just letting that sink in for a moment, before slowly putting one hand to her face, even as Erik pulls out an electric tea kettle, and an old fashioned teapot, while scooping out tea.

"I can only imagine how much terror someone would go through for that." Archer's voice sounds wry, almost like he's trying to not be sarcastic, and nearly failing to not laugh.

"Oh, I make it fair. One person uses a mech to patrol a route for the passenger inside, with the passenger looking through windows and cameras, trying to spot the hider. While the hider has to sneak past, and get to a safe zone as the mech patrols the route." Erik tries to not laugh, but smiles widely.

Archer, on the other hand, has no compulsions about showing his amusement. After a long, long moment of leaning against a wall, chuckling softly, he clears his voice. "So, let me get this straight. They have to find the person with a mech, but still get out and tag the person in question? What if they get away!"

Erik laughs, even as Rin slowly comprehends the sort of hide and go seek that would require mecha. "Oh, then they have to crawl back into the cockpit, roughly taking someone 30 seconds to get back in, and chase the person that's running. Considering the only mechs used are the lower grade ones meant for the Legion of Coal to pilot for me, they tend to not be perfect like the Mark 3 is, and tend to rely more on the lights rather than the radar. And, to make it fair, the radar was never on for the games."

Archer laughs a bit. "That's the most hilarious game show I've ever heard of! Did they love it?"

Erik nods, grinning, before pausing at the sound of the water boiling. "Yeah, they did! It was a rather big hit, especially with how big the Wolfen is!"

"Please, do show me some of this stuff later! It sounds hilarious." Archer grins, and takes a chair, while Rin just slowly looks more and more irritated.

"So, children's games... with giant mecha involved. Why am I not surprised? God-made Game Shows. And I thought the Japanese ones were bad." Rin rubs her forehead, then looks up. "You're like a kid with a giant toy."

Erik smiles, nodding. "If you love your work, you'll enjoy every moment you do it. I love my work, so why would I care if I'm like a kid with a giant toy? It's entertaining, gives people plenty to think about, and we're doing pretty well, considering the situation... however, we have gotten off track. Would you mind letting me talk with this Illyasviel, and learning about her and yourselves?"
    Rin sighs softly, cupping her face in her hands, and rubs her temples, as she settles back in her chair.

Clink. Clink.

She glances up, through her palms, then studies a warm cup of tea being poured in the cup Erik just set before her, as well as Archer.

"Fine. I'll get her to talk with you. Illya?"

For a moment, the room is still, before the form of Illyasviel von Einzbern appears in the room before Erik. She promptly curtsies, smiling a dangerous little smile.

"Good evening. My name is Illyasviel von Einzbern, and I'm the power behind the Grail Works and the crew."

Erik smiles, and bows. "Erik Ulricson, formerly Ulfrsonr, Norse God of Innovation, Paranoia, Pykrete, and Mecha." As he pulls up, he smiles wider. "I must say, my wife and I were fans of the version of you from the visual novel."

For a moment, Illya's eyes grow wide as saucers, before she smiles widely. "Would you have a copy of it, by any chance?!"

Erik smiles, nodding. "Indeed. I do. Would you care for a copy to bring back to Illyasviel after all is said and done, Rin? As well as other visual novels, and novels I have involving things in general? I admittedly, don't have much involving Mash Kyrielight, and Fate/Grand Order, but that's because it was a Cell Phone game, and it's hard to play games like that on Mars, when the servers are on Earth."

Rin blinks repeatedly, trying to comprehend what Erik means by that, while Illya slowly rubs her temples, and Archer just sighs. "In other words, you couldn't get a copy or emulate the damned thing?"

Erik sighs, and shakes his head. "I have chunks of the data, but towards the end, I was too busy to even TRY to check up on it. We'd noticed the Titans building up forces more and more, and dropped 75 Aerial Battleships on the Titans to help counter their global strikes... but all the Gods missed the leaders of the Titans personally going to break Surtr out himself. Then Loki intervened, and tried to assassinate Surtr while wearing something to take Surtr's place as the greatest Titan Avatar of Muspelheim... and then something went horribly, terribly wrong, and all the Titans, and Greater Titans all fused into one eldritch abomination that looked like it covered the planet Earth over several months."

Illyasviel winces, silently, then breathes out, before speaking up. "So you're lost, confused, have nowhere to go, and ran into us. Well, we've BEEN needing someone to help us with technology, I suppose. After this Grail War is over, do you think we could get your assistance for building things?"

Erik muses, before putting out a cup of tea for himself and pouring hot water into it. Then he settles himself back. "Tell me about your orginization first. Your goals, desires, wants, wishes... everything you can."

Illyasviel smiles, and nods.

12:25 PM

"And so that's how our organization works. Does that make sense, Erik?" Illyasviel von Einzbern smiles at him.

"A multiverse ranging troubleshooter organization... that's actually something impressive, and something I'd normally back. Tell you what, after all is said and done, I'll chat with you about giving you equipment, or help. Sound fair enough?" Erik smiles back, then sighs. "Right now, I have to juggle fighting this damned war, fixing the Wolfen and finally, getting my Wolf Home space station closer to Earth. All so we don't have to use giant hidden rail guns to launch supplies to it, and ensure my Mars Colony doesn't run out of food, air, or other necessities. Zelretch might be helping, but I get the feeling he's willing to prank me or them if he finds the idea of it funny enough."

Illyasviel winces as she nods. "I concede that point. Oh, right! Rin, one of our guests wanted to have a chat with Archer!"

Rin blinks, then slowly smiles. "Oh, really now?"

"Something about him needing a reality adjustment?" Illyasviel grins.

Archer simply folds his arms, looking grumpy. "Fine, let's get this over with. Go get whoever needs to talk with me, please."

Erik pauses, snapping his fingers. "Ahh, right. Before I forget, Archer? Could you teach me how to put this engine in my body and pull it out again?"

Archer pauses, glancing at it, then picks it up, holding it in his hands for a moment. "Yeah, shouldn't be too much of an issue." With those words, he walks over to Erik, then focuses. "Feel how I push it into your body, then pull it out, like so."

With those words, he astralizes the reactor, turning it into almost more energy than matter, before it dissolves into Erik's body. For a moment, he lets it stay in there, before pulling it back out again.

Erik thinks, studying it, before trying it himself. "Like this?"

Archer shakes his head. "Bit more power to it."

Erik nods, then tries a second time. "Like this, this time?"

Archer nods. "Push it in, now."

"Isn't that what women normally say?" Rin smirks.

Archer glances back, glaring. "Not funny, Rin."

"You should let me tease you more, Archer. After all, with all the crap you put ME through the last time I summoned you, you should know that payback is a woman's prerogative." Rin smirks more.

"...Fine, I suppose I have some of it coming, at least. But no more jokes until Erik has it down, please. I'd rather not have Erik pissed and coming for us both with that mech of his, no offense intended, Erik."

"None taken. And... like so, right?" With Erik's words, the device dissolves into his chest, to a small burst of power within him.

"Perfect." Archer nods, then backs off. "Now who was Illyasviel going to fetch? I'm rather curious..."

Almost to the timing of his words, the face of King Arthur appears in a hologram. "So, we meet again, Counter Guardian Emiya. I would have words with you for not warning us of the perils we went through in the Grail War back then."

"Saber?! You're still... tha...buh....what?!" For EMIYA, words fail him as he points and gapes at King Arthur.

"I'm still summoned from the grail war you were last in, you mean? Not exactly. I was incarnated due to a wish, instead." Arturia Pendragon smiles widely. "And after this, if all goes to plan, I'm going to have words with you in the dojo about wanting to commit suicide."

Archer shudders, before everything pauses at someone knocking on the door.

Erik sighs, then stretches. "Should be my wife... Miss Arturia Pendragon."

For a moment, Arturia Pendragon glares at Erik, before sighing. "Right. You have a copy of the game Galen played, or read about. He was never fully clear on which it was. But fine, I'd like to see your wife, anyways."

Erik nods, before tapping an intercom key. "Come on in!"

The door opens, and both Tamamo, and Mordred walk in the door, Mordred entering first as she excitedly starts talking, even as she swings the door open. "Erik! I need to talk with you about things I discovered ever since my Master used a Command Spell like I asked him to! I..."

A long pause, as Mordred turns from the door she's finished opening, only to come face to face with her father.

"...Father...?" Mordred whispers, then reaches towards the image of a wide eyed Arturia Pendragon.

Elsewhere on the Wolfen

Unnoticed to all, as Erik absorbs the reactor without help, another crack in the Gem of Power slowly grows.

Author's Notes:
    Look up Hide and Seek Manhunt to get an idea of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tgIS44nbI and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWo-YP3xM1A specifically, for where I got the idea of the mecha manhunt.

Reactor notes:

Reactor has had unknown effects.
    +10 legend gain per day.
    Unknown results for why the gain is happening.

Blog Entries
    Oh boy! You updated with a new chapter, Kieran!

...admittedly a day late, I'll grant that. Still, hope your wrists get better, man.
    Me, too.

More cute Caules and Fran, excellent.
    I was hoping you'd enjoy it; I felt I'd been ignoring them for far too long. And while it's more Caules' partner who's the adorable one, the Forvedge siblings are both lovely sources of cuteness.

Frid messing with XX for the future knowledge advantage, seems useful. I almost forgot he hadn't told her he knew.
    So had RamnaBushiko, which is why I thought it was a good idea to get it over with. (Seriously, we were both getting tired of rewrites.)

I assume he's getting the 2 years from dialogue from the Saber Wars event or something, I definitely don't remember that one well.
    It's in XX's dialogue for her own event, actually. Between that and her being a senior at Cosmo Chaldea High when X Alter was around (according to Ecchan's Valentine Trial Quest), her current age is about 20 - hence her present job as a Space Detective.

Interesting that Frid has a ring in the future, I guess that marriage is going through, unless it's some magic ring for some other reason.
    An excellent question, isn't it?

"Wearing a cup"... ohh, he's getting kicked.
    Yup.

True Name Discernment on a non-servant but legendary being, makes sense.
    Especially since I based the Scion Tamamo on our favourite vulpine Caster in the first place . . .

Interesting that we're attempting to hunt down both Assassins, but logical. I suspect we're going after Jack first, though.
    Probably - we're still working that out.

EDIT: Yeah, be careful with your wrists. Sounds like you were mostly done this chapter before they flared up, so while you probably know your condition better than anonymous internet people, I'd expect them to still be pretty bad.
    They are - I'm hoping that I can use this to convince my physio appointments to be moved back to every two weeks instead of three.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Oh, boy... Mordred met Arturia in some capacity, again.

Blog Entries
    Yup - cue the fireworks . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Fenris powering up feels... concerning. More Foushadowing. I wonder what reading the VN is going to do to Ilya's relationship with Frid? I expect she'll keep it mostly under wraps for the other Grail Works members, though.

Reactor now provides enough power to keep Amaterasu active, or a recloak each day, which seems useful. Might result in Gem exploding, which seems bad. Alternatively, it's actually draining that 10 legend out of the Gem, which is kinda useful and kinda not, since it means he can wind up without anything if he expects to be able to draw on it when needed, but he probably needs the recharge right now, and if it's not cracking the Gem in one go, that's a decent way to get it.

Hopefully Mordred remembered that revelation, since we had some Command Seal action there. It'll probably still go to hell though.

Blog Entries
    ...oi. I hate to ask this, but is Fou supposed to be a cute version of Primate Murder? I don't have F/GO, but it took me a short while before I realized the implications.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fenris powering up feels... concerning. More Foushadowing. I wonder what reading the VN is going to do to Ilya's relationship with Frid? I expect she'll keep it mostly under wraps for the other Grail Works members, though.

Reactor now provides enough power to keep Amaterasu active, or a recloak each day, which seems useful. Might result in Gem exploding, which seems bad. Alternatively, it's actually draining that 10 legend out of the Gem, which is kinda useful and kinda not, since it means he can wind up without anything if he expects to be able to draw on it when needed, but he probably needs the recharge right now, and if it's not cracking the Gem in one go, that's a decent way to get it.

Hopefully Mordred remembered that revelation, since we had some Command Seal action there. It'll probably still go to hell though.
    Yeah, Fenris is still very much fated in most universes to devour a good chunk of the Norse Pantheon. He may have had his fate via prophecy broken in Erik's universe, but this isn't his home universe, now is it?

As for Fou, yup. Very much more Foushadowing.

For the Reactor? Yeah, it's USEFUL. It has some decent side effects, and trust me when I say that Kieran and I have gone over the Cosmoreactor, as built by a God, and worked out a lot of possible capabilities, why it works the way it does, etc. Which is somewhat mitigated, in this case, by the simple fact that it's made with barely sufficient metals, that are only working well because of Erik's bullshit goggles.

As for the Gem... spoilers! I will hint that every time Erik's noticed it in the story so far, it's a little more cracked, though... feel free to guess why, if you want. Discussion makes me write my parts faster.

Mordred, on the other hand... you get to actually see have a solid chat with her father next chapter from me. I've got a good chunk of that part written already, just working on ensuring it flows well, makes sense, doesn't have any spelling errors, etc. etc. etc. Or switch from third to first person view over and over.

...oi. I hate to ask this, but is Fou supposed to be a cute version of Primate Murder? I don't have F/GO, but it took me a short while before I realized the implications.
    Yup, you're exactly right. Fou is an alternate timeline version of Primate Murder, one that never took the role, and chose to live amongst humanity. Mostly because Merlin kicked him out of his warm tower with all that food. He still hates Merlin for that, and shows it regularly in Fate/Grand Order with a good mauling to Merlin's face whenever he shows up near Fou. He lives with humanity, but if he stays in one place for over a year, a cataclysm tends to occur to the humans nearby. And yet, it didn't happen in Chaldea.

Lots of spoilers here for Fate/Grand Order, but if you watch videos on the Solomon singularity, it covers most of it, while the Babylonia storyline hints at a lot involving Fou, and shows off what a Beast on the same level can actually be capable of. (For the Record, Primate Murder would also be classified as one of the 7 Beasts of Calamity.)

Also, you can download the Nox android emulator and use that to play Fate/Grand Order.

Blog Entries
    ...oh boy. I guess I need to actually use my smart phone to play F/GO as soon as possible.

As for why the gem keeps on cracking... is it because of Gaia trying to screw Erik over?

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...oh boy. I guess I need to actually use my smart phone to play F/GO as soon as possible.

As for why the gem keeps on cracking... is it because of Gaia trying to screw Erik over?
    Yeah, the game is pretty good. I recommend Nox in case you can't play it on your phone, though. A lot better than Bluestacks ever was, and reliable.

As for the Gem... "From a certain point of view, perhaps." comes to mind as the answer here. Yes, I'm quoting Obi Wan Kenobi at you. Yes, I'm being vague. Keep guessing, and you might figure it out early!