Page 5 of 142 FirstFirst ... 34567101555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit Pulse : Mugen No Sekai [IC]

Blog Entries
    Aster
    Akarana Estate ~ Second Floor
    Monday - Afternoon

Aster wished her uneasiness was merely the mysterious case of the sleeping maid and the associated dead silence of the mansion. Then, at least, she could be saying she was doing her job properly. Taking care of Ayra, meticulously focused on the mission—that was what she would have liked to devote her whole being to.

Instead, every step she took only reminded her that her owner’s body is not suited for her. Like walking in ill-fitting shoes. It wasn’t that there was anything wrong with the spell, for she and Ayra had gone over its many calculations with a fervent precision. It was more of a fundamental problem, one that she had been trying to overcome through practice and determination.

Simply put, as an AI whose goals were to protect Ayra, to be loyal to Ayra, it was incredibly difficult for Aster to put herself into the position of being her. A crasser way to say it was that servants could never truly occupy the position of their masters, but if Ayra asked it of Aster to do so, then her COMP would do it as much as she was able, no questions asked. That was the one-sided nature of their dynamic Aster assumed was fairly common between COMPs and their owners.

Still, as Aster calmly walked through the mansion, eyes scanning for any potential dangers, her gaze lingered on a wall-mounted mirror and the reflection within for just a tad too long.

I’d like to see my reflection for once. Maybe hear my own voice, too.

Aster shook her head with a sigh, trying to clear her head. That was an errant thought. Better to squash those ideas before her negligence led to Ayra getting into trouble.

Aster: Is everything the same for you down below? Sleeping guards, no signs of activity?

Yeah. I get the feeling that we’ve been beaten to the punch. For a trap… this seems way too convoluted.

Aster: Well, that’s a distinctly likely possibility. Want me to reconvene?

No, I think it’s better if you wait on the outside in case something happens. The path to the elevator is wide open, so—

Aster: Confident you don't need me to handle this?

The sudden interjection made Ayra pause, but it's deliberate. She needed to take a moment and think about it, even if the decision was most likely still the same. Although Ayra was known as someone who did her job thoroughly… it didn’t mean she didn’t have some level of arrogance as a Knight. She was taking it too lightly, especially with the unknown factors involved.

…I’ll call you back if it’s necessary. Don’t fret too much.

Aster: …Alright.

And with that, Aster began the meticulous task of checking every room, trying to see if there were secrets in the mansion Laplace had failed to find.

Ayra Lilygrove
    Akarana Estate ~ Indoors
    Monday - Afternoon

Aster worries too much.

The lighting, dark yet just bright enough to see, and the sleeping servants would make anyone pause in caution. Someone or something has already tampered with the mansion and it is up to Aster and I to complete our mission regardless. Even though caution is certainly a virtue in times like this, the simple matter of the fact is that nobody can be perfectly prepared for what lies ahead. Besides…

I spent my entire life training to be a Knight of the Round. To become someone who could fearlessly tackle problems head-on. And though at this moment I’m a member of the Phantom Thieves… it doesn’t change the nature of what I’ve trained for. In the end, I’m best at direct, straightforward assaults. The guise of Joker is merely a mask to cover such actions.

And if I get into trouble, I’m certain Aster can bail me out. She’ll always be there for me, so… I’m certain she’ll find a way, even if I don’t.

I take one last quick look around, just in case there’s something that lurks in the shadows. Time is of the essence, and I’ve already done enough peeking around as is. The only way forward is the elevator. And if I get stuck inside… Well, that’s a problem that I'd most likely have to deal with regardless of caution or not.

Clutching Aster’s hilt, I make my way into the elevator, prepared to descend into a den of villainy.
    Last edited by Katie; May 6th, 2019 at 07:00 PM.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aster
    Monday - Afternoon

---Seeing as how someone had already tampered with the premises, you leave your user to deal with whatever awaits her down below, comforted mostly by the fact that this body could be abandoned at anytime if it became necessary to do so...

The reason for the search?

Because everything seems purposefully set up to make your descent as easy as possible, it is only natural to defy the obvious path, like purposefully moving away from the route that leads to the next story section in a video-game. There are things that can only be acquired through being meticulous, from choosing to walk out-of-the-way paths rather than those that simply exist ahead of you, and in that regard...

You find...

Little of note, at least so far...

Of course, seeing as how the owner had allowed people other than his servants to be present upon the property, it was unlikely for there to be anything particularly incriminating out in the open for you to find... But that too is expected, plenty of things could be surmised from photographs or paintings, such as the nature of the relationship between Master and Servants.

Yes.

In Lloyd's bedroom (or what seemed to be his bedroom) there were a number of photographs present on the night-stand; it's a bit surprising in a way, as he hadn't exactly seemed like the type to be sentimental when it came to his personal connections, but they were still present in spite of it all... A photograph of what seemed to be his child self along with his siblings (two older brothers and an older sister), and a tall man clad in a suit that must be their father in his younger years. Out of all the pictures to find that one is the most surprising, seeing as how this family apparently didn't get along anymore, but...

In terms of usefulness, the most common contents of the photos were of himself and the mystery maid; she got much more presence in the area than anyone else, and the romantic undertones of their poses said about all that needed to be said about their relationship...

Something like a girlfriend most likely, although considering how she had acted around you earlier in the day, she was the stronger of the two when it came to participating in a fight. This knowledge doesn't exactly help in this moment as it doesn't tell you where she came from, but she's not wearing any obvious COMP technology in the photos, so there was a possibility that whatever powers she possessed... They were innate abilities, rather than those derived from magi-tech...

Perhaps if you look a bit closer you'll be able to find more, but as you give up on the master bedroom and turn to leave you-

"My my, how greedy. I set everything up to make this as easy for you as possible, and you spend time looking through the normal rooms?"

A voice.

It's that of a female, but it is also digitally constructed; the voice of someone who clearly meant to hide what they sounded like from others. At first, the origin of the voice is hard for you to pinpoint, as it seems to purposefully echo throughout the entirety of the mansion but-

"Am I looking at the faceless master, or the faceless puppet? Perhaps something lower than a puppet? I suppose it doesn't matter, what you're looking for is down below. You will not find much here, Jester."

-Even as it speaks, a figure cloaked in black steps out into the doorway.

There's no hostile intent, merely a mocking voice.

----

Ayra Lilygrove
    Akarana Estate ~ Indoors
    Monday - Afternoon

"..."

The dull hum of the elevator has become a steadfast companion. The codes stolen by Laplace work like they always seem to work, and an elevator that had only ever listed four floors, finds itself heading in a direction that the common cannot reach, something that was likely hidden even from the more mundane servants of the house.

---A villainous lair hidden under one's normal residence.

It's the sort of thing an evil organization would do in a comic book, but if there was one thing you had learned over the years, it was that the world could be just as bizarre as fiction when it came down to it.

Even so, while it feels like descending into the lair of the boss fight, it's not your style to be any more cautious than this; you are one who confronts your problems head on rather than plot around them, and so a tactic as brazen as simply walking into the villains lair is not one that you are unfamiliar with, and indeed...

When the door opens...

"...I see. Joker. I was expecting a different shadow."

The mystery maid herself stands tall at the other end of a narrow metallic hallway, her arms crossed even as she stands guard before what you can only assume is the room her Master has locked himself away in.

---It's a clear defensive position.

Not just parking herself in front of the door, but doing so in a hallway that was only about four feet wide?

---Spells would funnel right through here to the elevator, making conventional evasion a somewhat more difficult task than normal, even so...

"Turn back. You will not get any further than this."

A simple statement.

"No one is going to take what is mine."
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Aoyama Gakuen, Infirmary Building
    Monday - Morning

For a moment, Blaise was silent, staring at the floor and keeping his arms folded across his chest while leaning on the wall. And then...

"... I already gave them a chance," he said bluntly, but with a hint of annoyance. "Not my fault the squandered it."

Indeed, what he was saying he could already feel come into effect once more now that he was back at the school. The moment he had stepped in, the moment he had been seen by other students, he could feel it start again. Those sideways glances, taking few steps back to stay further away from him, those mutters and whispers of rumours that always seemed to surround him wherever he went, that atmosphere that hung around wherever he went in these buildings that seemed to reject him... it was all this that made his brow furrow the moment he set foot inside the gates of Aoyama Gakuen. It made his skin crawl. It made him feel like leaving immediately.

After all, out there on the streets, how he was known was for a reason. He did things and people talked about those things. He didn't have to pretend to fit some sort of mold or be someone he was not. And most importantly of all, he didn't have to listen to people run their mouths about things they knew nothing about. He hated it. Hated the shit they spewed despite having only heard about it from other people. Of course, they could say whatever they wanted - if they wanted to be morons, let them be.

But that didn't mean Blaise had to stay here and listen to it.

He'd much rather be out there where he was useful and he didn't have to feel everyone's stares at his back.

"I know enough. I know when to hold back and I know when to not. And they can behave how they want. If I'm not here I don't have to care. And what comes to making friends..." Blaise shot a sort of a glare under his brow towards his sister that told he wasn't fond of repeating this topic again. "... I'll be friends with who I want. Not who I'm supposed to be. I'd rather be alone than try to be someone I'm not just so I could play-pretend with this crowd of self-important posers."

He made a vague gesture to the school around him.

In all honesty, Blaise... he didn't like talking about why he avoided school with his sister. As stand-offish as he was, he never actually wanted to let Noriko down. He knew why she harped on him to get back to school, why she kept bringing this topic up over and over again, especially after... after his home had become as empty as it now was. The last thing Blaise wanted to do was be a disappointment in his sister's eyes. Yet at the same time, he had his own set of internal rules he had to follow, or else he felt like he would betray himself.

Changing yourself to fit in, pretending to be who you're not, keeping your mouth shut just so you don't offend somebody, falling in line and being just another face in the crowd... that wasn't for him. Never mind him being a foreigner, that was something more fundamental. School and Blaise simply didn't fit together. Especially after the rumors started going on about what sort of person he was.

In other words, if the students of this school wanted to see him as something, then let them - Blaise couldn't be arsed to make an effort to change their views on him.

That was a mistake they made, not him. The responsibility was with them, not him. Failing to do that was their mistake, not his.

And that's why he didn't see any reason to be around them.

"Tch."

Rising up, Blaise felt the myriad thoughts swarming in his head and darkening his day already. He had promised to stick with his sister for today, and that he would do, but still... he needed to cool off a bit, catch some fresh air. Luckily, the many vending machines of the school offered some respite. There were few in less populated places of the school, after all.

"I'm gonna get something to drink," Blaise muttered as he started down the hallway, before glancing at Noriko again. "The usual for you? And..."

This time, his eyes were on the boy who had wielded bat and who had taken brunt of his sister's lecture, too.

"... You want anything?"

Blog Entries
    Aster
    Monday - Afternoon

Would Ayra have detected this?

The answer, Aster quickly concludes, is most likely not. Though it was true that the duplicate provided by Mirror Image had inferior specs, Aster doubted that even the two of them would have sensed this mystery woman’s presence. And quite frankly, Aster was unsure that the person in front of her was even a woman in the first place. People went to excessive lengths to disguise themselves, she knew that from experience. The person behind that voice could be anything, anyone, and she’d have to leave it be. Hacking was not her forte as a COMP.

“I’m merely a shade of the jester doing as you wish down below,” Aster said, her voice quiet and calm. Though she had very little experience in proper conversation, owing to the aura of secrecy she had to maintain, Aster could feel that this was the type of discussion where one had to hold their cards close to their chest.

But before she could inquire further—

Maid spotted.

Aster: She’s Akarana’s lover.

That’s… cute?

Aster: Please don’t go easy on her.

...I’m aware.

And like that, the conversation was over. Ayra didn’t need to know about this third-party. At least, not yet. It was better if her mind was clear of distractions in a fight—that was when she performed at her best.

Still, there was the slight flicker of doubt in Aster’s mind. Ayra was a rather soft girl when it came to matters like these, so no doubt she’d unconsciously go a little easy as a result. Not enough to make Ayra give up on justice entirely, but enough to provide some unnecessary mercy. Still, that kind of compassion… Aster wouldn’t call it a flaw.

Well, she’d merely have to trust in Ayra to do the right thing. That was a given, of course, so it was probably for the best if she harmlessly chatted with their mysterious helper until Ayra needed her. Better than sitting here twiddling her thumbs.

“I don’t recall ever asking for aid,” Aster said, lifting her downcast gaze to try and look the woman in the eye. “And although you say you’ve helped… The lovebirds seem quite prepared for an intrusion, aren’t they? As if someone told them in advance, or, in the most likely case… you drove them down there and waited for us to clean-up.”

Ayra Lilygrove
    Akarana Estate ~ Indoors
    Monday - Afternoon

"...I see. Joker. I was expecting a different shadow."

"Turn back. You will not get any further than this."

"No one is going to take what is mine."
    She was waiting for someone else.

It’s certainly of interest, something I have to think about, but not now. If there is someone else, no doubt Aster would have spotted them and given me a warning. The only thing that matters now is the opponent in front of me. The hallway’s narrow, the environment a natural problem for someone like myself, but it’s not something I need to be particularly concerned with. Any area-of-effect spell would most likely hit us both.

This was most likely going to be an old-fashioned brawl and in those one-on-one situations, I was certain I had a fair bit of skill. Trust in what you are good at, not lament what you can’t do.

Maid spotted.

Aster: She’s Akarana’s lover.

That’s… cute?

Aster: Please don’t go easy on her.

...I’m aware.

That piece of information paints the previous words into a new context, and I can feel a pang of sympathy for the woman in front of me. Though she no doubt knows the sins Akarana has committed, she would defend him until the end. Against that kind of sentiment… I’d find it hard pressed to say I dislike my opponent. That kind of protectiveness is a feeling I miss dearly.

However, justice is blind, and that is the sole reason I’m here. No matter how heartwarming the display in front of me is… she is the enemy, and I will cut her down. Or knock her out. I can do that much for her, at least.

“I can’t overlook the demons your beloved has imprisoned for the sake of wealth,” I say honestly, pointing Aster’s blade at her in a grand flourish. “Normally I’d ask for you to yield right here, but I’m familiar with that conviction in your eyes.”

I give her a warm smile. Those feelings are beautiful and important. I won’t deny that.

“And I won’t disrespect it.”

But I will crush them underfoot nonetheless. My honor as a Phantom Thief demands nothing less.

Though Aster may not be here, my COMP is still more than capable of processing spells, and one of the most basic techniques—Phantasm Step—comes easily to me as breathing.

And with that sudden speed, there’s a thrust towards her chest, distance between her and I just gone in a flash.

-----

Wise up!
    Name: Ayra Lilygrove / JOKER
    Affiliation: Knights of the Round / Phantom Thieves

COMP Heat: 8/10
    Spells Used: Mirror Image, Phantasm Step

Stats

AGI: S (60)

Spells

-Mirror Image-
    Creates an inferior double of the caster that can be controlled by the COMP's AI if necessary. Further details unknown.

-Phantasm Step-
    Gather Spiritual Power beneath the feet, allowing temporary movement that is close to instant. When combined with high natural speed, it becomes possible to dodge even supersonic strikes. A common spell amongst Spirit Tamers and Demons alike, it is the main reason why higher ranking phenomena are so hard to connect with, as an unhindered opponent will use this spell to ‘easily disrespect’ spells of a much higher ranking...

Although homing spells also arose as a ‘sort of’ counter to it.

On an unrelated note, Ayra is fairly certain Phantasm Step is better, despite knowing both this and Flash Truth, so this is the one she uses.
    Last edited by Katie; May 10th, 2019 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Morning

"Sure, the usual is fine."

While she seems to have caught wind of your need to escape the situation, even if only briefly, the older woman's nonchalant answer to your question indicates that she's not going to try to stop you... Of course, she had always tried to never be too preachy when it came to this sort of thing, but seeing as how she was putting a bit more effort into the lectures today, you had the brief feeling that part of her motivation for letting you run off is the possibility that she'll get a free BOSS coffee out of the deal, yes...

Truly a drink that belonged more in the realm of the older generation...

But as for the dark haired youth...

"..."

This unexpected kindness puts him in a situation that he is unfamiliar with, yes, his first thought is to reject it, seeing it as a form of pity from the winner to the loser, but once he goes ahead and thinks of it in those terms...

"...Shizouka Cola."

He's forced to accept it because of his own sense of honor, or rather, his personal code for what it meant to 'listen' to the winner of a fight.

If it was offered, then he had to accept it... At least this time around...

"..."

Of course, doing so does not allow him to escape the nurse that was apparently practicing dentistry nearby, but he does his best to put those thoughts aside even as you stroll away, ready to escape now you've gotten your answers.

Naturally, since the goal is to get away for awhile while also avoiding your fellow students is possible, you take the long way around campus.

While Aoyama Gakuen was widely known as the first Tamer School, that does not mean that all of the student body are here for the purposes of following that particular career path; some are here simply to study magic, taking advantage of the state-of-the-art technology that could only manifest itself in a school that was heavily linked to one of the Big Four, in this case, the SDCD itself... Those students were probably the majority of the student body, those that weren't quite devoted to the idea of being a bridge between humanity and demon-kind, and as a result, the more general buildings were going to have much more student traffic than the Tamer focused ones, which were typically on the "university" side of the campus.

Those students were often out on the grounds rather than indoors, as their classes involved a more significant amount of physical activity; so heading towards their break room was your best shot for running into as few people as possible.

---The cloud of fire that you see outside the window at one point only cements the validity of this plan, as it seems they were definitely in the middle of some sort of combat exercise out there...

The fire itself looks sorta familiar... But then again, it couldn't be that person.

A teacher? Her?

...It probably wasn't possible.

At least, that's what you convince yourself, as you turn your gaze back to the hallways before you. All in all, your little walk will by you about twenty minutes of quiet time, ten to get there, ten to get back, at least at a walking pace.

Even so, you did seem to pick a good time to do it.

Classes are in session, so as long as you can get back before the bell goes off for next period, you could definitely avoid meeting most of the student populace, general and Tamer alike... Maybe even the Council President, who must be awfully distracted today if she hadn't noticed you had shown up for once (albeit against you will, and only momentarily)

Yes, you certainly make it almost all the way to the end without seeing someone, but...

"..."

That changes right at your destination.

There's a young man restocking the vending machines, or rather, he's putting the finishing touches on restocking the vending machines. Tall but lean, to the point where it was just above being scrawny, his uniform was that of the school, and he seemed to be wearing a COMP, but considering his activities... Perhaps he was a college student with a particularly convenient part-time job with the vendors?

He's not paying attention to much, as the headphones over his ears can attest; but before your brain can decide whether or not to retreat before he can notice you, he's already finishing with his work, locking the screens behind him with a beep as his COMP transmits the necessary codes, and-

"...You Pendragon?"

A flash of unfortunate recognition...

Because the Council President has a habit of making a scene in her attempts to drag you to class, your already unfortunate reputation had been more ingrained into the minds of your fellow students. Of course, behaving like a delinquent makes it reasonable for them to assume you are one, but the whispers that pretend like they know the truth kind of piss you off, and so you're prepared to go at this as abrasively as possible, after all, he was probably going to say something asinine, or jump on the lecture train about how skipping school was a terrible thing to do, but-

"You work at that Soba shop right? Gen? It any good?"

-clear, concise, and somewhat bizarre.

"I was thinking of dropping in for dinner, but I'd like some opinions on it first. Limited cash you know? Struggling student life."

Yes...

This person seems to want to speak with you for an entirely different reason than the expected one...!
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Quote Originally Posted by Airen View Post
    "As for what the ship is to me?"

"...It's a useful burden I suppose, something humans have to protect, but that will protect them in return. It's a weapon before anything else, so it's ultimately dangerous, but it's changed fate more than once, so it's also a necessary power.
    Ludwig Karlfeldt
    SLEIPNIR ~ Cafeteria
    Monday ~ Morning

While the Commander shared an anecdote regarding the SLEIPNIR, her apparant burden, another voice entered my mind in secret

Her disembodied voice seemingly turned back to its usual silvery state, yet was still brimming with excitement, and perhaps a hint of overtones

You think she'll mind if I pop out and get me one of those tasty looking waffles?

Incidentally, it also sounded like her mouth was watering.

However,

Quote Originally Posted by Adala
    ...at this point it is more my home than Earth is, but-"
    While it seems like you might just get a story out of that question, the sudden ringing of alarm, and the shift of the fluorescent lights from a clear white to a more murky gold indicate a shift in the entirety of the ship's atmosphere.
    before Ludwig could reply, the sounds of SLEINPNIR's alarms resounded throughout the ship, ending the friendly interactions in the cafeteria at once.

Oh c'mon, just one bite, one bite will do so pleaseeee~.

No time, we should get going.

B-but its only yellow, and, just look at those them, the waffles, they call to me......

I'll be sure to treat you to your precious waffles after this, so bear with it for now.

Hmmmmph, make it as big as this plate and we have a deal!

If you exceed my expectations you'll get as many waffles as you like, my devilish little opportunist.

Fufufu, impressing you will be easy, let's give it to these robots!

And now she just sounds smug again.

Quote Originally Posted by Adala
    "...We'll scramble, just to be safe. Reinforce the shields, give the gunners clearance to fire if they breach our airspace, and prepare the flight-capable units to intercept. Those without flight systems will take up defensive positions on the flight deck in groups of two. Our goal will be to capture their wreckage if possible, I want to know what exactly decided to attack us and why. Ludwig, you're with me on this one."
    "Understood, Commander"

No other words are needed, as I follow behind her, prepared.

The two of us switch our mindset back to Commander and Tamer respectively as quickly and easily as pressing a button, there's no room for familial distractions or unexplored pleasantries anymore.

What kind of hostile robotics are targeting us, and for what purpose?

Why did she want me along her side, is this some other test?

Does she know what exactly we're up against?

These questions, these thoughts, they disappear within an instant, like ripples in a vast ocean.

Utter serenity occupies my mind, nothing will disrupt my mind from whats coming next. It's always been best to observe and take in all details during battle, there's no point in wondering thoughts or possible theories.

Orders are orders, and I shall do my best to see them completed, no matter whether it's to retrieve the current technology that's attacking us, or the destruction of each individual drone.

All that's left is to receive her commands, however as always, her mind is closed off, her intentions unknown to anyone.

And so, I leave her with the same question as when we first started our familial discussion this morning:

Looking at her with a determined expression, my mind calm and my partner fired up, I'm ready for whatever comes next.

"How can I be of service to you, Commander?"

Blog Entries
    Cosmos Fairchild
    Rose Cross Headquarters - Inner Gardens
    Monday - Morning

"The first hmm? Well as the first, I will do my best to leave a good impression in the end. After all, while our organizations may differ, the goal of all the Tamers is the same; but the opportunities to really cement that unity are few and far in between... Still, wanting to get out and see the world is a good dream to have, and your opportunity to do so may come quicker than you might expect."

He says it with a smile, but focused as you are on the road ahead, it's not something you really witness with your own eyes, still...

It's important that you don't mess this up-! It was the simplest possible mission yes, but that meant Alyx would never let you live it down if you botched it, especially after going out of your way to volunteer for it in the first place-!

"So as payment for being my guide today, I will be sure to show you around Aoyama myself when the time comes; we don't quite have angels everywhere, but we do have our own share of tourist attractions. I haven't met a single person that's disliked the sight of the Starlight Bay, perhaps you've heard of it as the Vita Stream? It's our pride and joy."

Ultimately however, his words serve to shatter the ice of social anxiety. For one of the world's big shots he was remarkably friendly, the sort of man that seemed to be able to see your insecurities even before you could, as you find yourself easily making small talk with him long before you realize it yourself. It's the same strange sort of charisma that Mary herself has, although rather than that of a holy woman and mother, this was more like...

A fatherly aura? Or perhaps that of an invincible older brother?

Regardless of it's true nature, he fills what would have been a silent walk with stories of not just Aoyama, but the golden fields of Avalon (where plant life apparently replenished itself in hours) and the science-fiction like SLEIPNIR as well; having experience with all of the Tamer Bases made sense considering he was the constructor of the five Harmonizer Towers, but comprehending that such a person was telling you those stories himself also made it feel sort of surreal-!

Of course, story-time comes to a close as you draw near the Vatican's Medical Bay.

But not for the reasons one might suspect, after all...

"By the way, it seems one of your coworkers is excited to see you. You must be good friends."

He stops only because someone started sprinting at you the moment she saw you. It is not a hostile charge, so he does not wish to intervene and make his presence awkward, but all the same, when you hear those words and turn your gaze to confirm it for yourself-

"Little Cosmy!"

Saria Justus dives into you with a movement that exists somewhere in the gray area between a caring embrace and a flying tackle.

---However, this is not exactly what you would call special behavior.

While Kenji had assumed you were friends -and while that wasn't exactly true, you also couldn't call her anything close to an enemy- he didn't seem to quite grasp the nature of Saria Justus, namely...

---This is something she did to basically everyone she considered a friend. Normally the target was Alyx, as best friends are certainly the most appropriate targets for this sort of thing, but Saria had always seemed to think you were cute, like a 'little sister,' in spite of your feud with Alyx and so this...

This flying tackle hug...

Was certainly a response that couldn't be called "entirely unexpected," but it was also overly affectionate in a way that was kinda embarrassing-!

"Did you come to have lunch with me? Alyx wouldn't come with me today! She's so mean to me sometimes!"

---Make no mistake, while her words are kinda childish, this person is probably strong enough to beat down your sister if it came down to it, and-

"Woah, a sudden celebrity? Hello there, Mr. Namasaki!"

-also lacks any sense of real shame, considering she has yet to let you wrestle free from her hug, even as she looks up at a Kenji who seems to be trying not to chuckle at the sight before his eyes.
    Last edited by Airen; May 7th, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Morning

Blaise blinked momentary, slow confusion at this completely unexpected inquiry.

In all honesty, he had been expecting something more akin to the usual - loathing, fear, distrust, something to that vein... so being suddenly asked about his family's soba shop caught him off guard. Perhaps this was some sort of ploy? Well, if it was, it was not a ploy that would make any sense. Not to mention that being accosted with such clear sincerity, untainted by all those rumours... it was something that would have been nice to believe, but if anything, it put him more on guard than ever. Nobody outside his family and few people here and there talked to him like this. Especially not in this school. So rather than feel more at ease or relax his furrowed brow... Blaise put up his guards even more.

Yet, despite all that, the biggest question in his head right now was...

--- I have no idea who this even is.

Just what sort of person accosts another about a restaurant out of the blue? Not a normal one... but then again, none of the students in this school were that normal. It might have been just another quirky member of the classes, one that thought 'being unique' meant acting all sorts of weird and that their power excused it all.

Not that he was one to talk.

But, more importantly, Blaise had come here for a reason. And that were the drinks. And since the guy had spoken to him...

"... That's a stupid question."

Blaise grunted that as he pushed past the guy to reach the vending machine, and began inserting coins into the slot. BOSS coffee, Shizouka Cola and the most bitter green tea he could find. Right now, he was feeling like extra bitter green tea. Maybe that would clear his head a little... or his sinuses.

But as Blaise dutifully began choosing the drinks, he glanced at the redheaded guy.

"If I'm in the kitchen, it'll be good," he answered brusquely. "If it's my aunt, it'll be amazing. It's my family's shop after all."

Let it never be said that Blaise did not feel pride towards his family's shop. The honor of Soba Shop Gen was one of the things he would defend come hell or high water, and for it to be questioned in this way didn't help the redhead's standing in his eyes. Well, it might just be that he didn't know what good soba smelled like, and that's why he couldn't figure it out just by walking past the place. Most people weren't interested enough in culinary arts to learn skills like that.

But really... what sort of awkward way to strike a conversation was this?

Blaise's suspicions were rising by the minute.

"If you want cheap, try the hour before we close," the blonde youth continued. "The ingredients don't stay fresh if they're stored in fridge, so we try to get rid of it all at the end of the day. Might even get a bowl half-off, depending on what mood aunt is."

However, those suspicions were a completely separate matter. They could be put aside for a moment now that he was being representative of Gen!

He wouldn't let some bespectacled weirdo get the wrong idea about their restaurant!

Cosmos Fairchild
    Rose Cross Headquarters - Inner Gardens
    Monday - Morning

Cosmos never thought she would ever enjoy talking with Namasaki Kenji, but here she was, talking and listening to the man's recount of the bases of the other three Spirit Tamer organization; not only that, him saying that the opportunity for her to go out might be closer than she thought made her giddy inside - if he was talking about the investigation on Atlantis, then she could felt her excitement building up already!

However, the peaceful walk to the hospital was shattered by the familiar calling of her nickname that only a certain 'best friend' of her sister's uses, and before long Cosmos was struggling to break free from Saria's hug; it was at times like these that Cosmos laments her lack of height and strength, and her embarrassment only increases as she heard Illia giggling in her mind.

--Saria Justus was a unique case.

Friendly and seemingly cheerful all the time, she was one of the few people that Cosmos deems 'safe;' in other words, someone that can be trusted, as the girl is simply too earnest and simple-minded to truly hide anything - not to mention the fact that her friendliness extends to demons. However, calling her a friend isn't correct either, as Saria's endless energy can quickly tires her out, so more often than not she tries to avoid the girl.

--Still, Cosmos doesn't dislike her.

The girl stood in-between being merely a co-worker and a friend; in other words, an acquaintance. She is one of the very few people that Cosmos has a 'project' on - namely in trying to help her quit smoking - so in the times where she spend some time with her, Cosmos would always ask Saria's progress on quitting, and inevitably gives a lecture whenever she heard the girl falling back to her habit. Sometimes she wondered whether Saria is fed up with her nagging and lectures, but from how she acts around her, that doesn't seem to be the case...

Seeing someone genuinely trying to improve and not dismissing her 'preachy' talks honestly makes Cosmos pretty happy.

But back to the predicament at hand--

"H-hello Saria. I didn't see you coming today." She managed to squeak out as she gave up on trying to break free; it's much easier to let Saria herself release the hold than forcibly trying to do so. "C-can you please let go? I am... actually in the middle of an assignment - escorting Mister Kenji right here - so if you can be a good girl and... k-keep quiet from making a scene, I might come with you for lunch after this is over."

A slight pause to catch her breath as the hold on her relaxed, she decided to ask one of her few social contacts.

"On a related note... have you heard of an ESPer being found and hospitalized here?"
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Morning

"Stupid huh? Sorry, sorry. My bad."

One hand rising to rest on his own hair as he apologizes, the somewhat-suspicious student surprisingly doesn't seem to take too much offense from being shoved out of the way of the vending machine... Of course, such a thing is both more suspicious and less, as someone who was trying to trap you in some way probably wouldn't take too kindly to being physically moved but...

"Good to hear you recommend it. I've asked a few others and they said the same, but I'm still trying to figure out this whole Neo Aoyama thing; I've only been around for about two weeks, so I'm still trying to work out a good path around town, since it kinda feels like the roads change their destination every once in awhile? Can't say they did that back in America, so it kinda caught me by surprise."

...He really doesn't seem to care, indeed... He starts rambling about his life story instead, implying that it's kind of hard to make your way through the ward sometimes because the place seemed to shift every once in awhile, which admittedly, was pretty plausible...

This ward was widely known as the place "where the Magic Age started," so it certainly had it's fair share of bizarre quirks that everyone kinda acknowledged but no one could really explain; once you lived here long enough you simply developed a sense for circumventing that sort of thing, so it was a problem that didn't really affect you too much nowadays.

Still...

Who just blurts out that sort of story to someone who hadn't asked for it?

This was either a multi-dimensional game of mental chess, or the somewhat awkward attempt of a new student to make friends in a new environment...

Well, the friendship game was a game most of the other students played, so it seemed he had picked a poor target if that was the case?

"Name's Sirius. Sirius Aust. Figured it's only fair to tell you mine since I had already heard yours."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Morning

Blaise snorted.

"I bet."

Of course it made sense for some new transfer student to have heard of him. In high school, rumours spread fast - bad ones even faster. Therefore it was very likely that some of his classmates had warned this redhead to stay away from him lest he be beat up or something... Advice he seemed to have forgotten completely. Too bad for him. In normal cases like this, a chance like this would have probably been a golden opportunity... But for Blaise, it was nothing more than annoyance. Those thinking and speaking what they wanted were a problem, but idiots unwilling to take a hint were just as bad.

Which is why, as Blaise's drinks of choosing fell out of the vending machine with a series of clonks, he picked them up quickly and rose to his full height. Then he turned around sharply and directed a heavy glare at the redhead.

"A word of advice since you're new here, Aust," Blaise spoke, making a point to use his last name to dispel any perceived familiarity. "If you wanna fit in, don't associate with me. You're gonna have much easier time that way."

His glare grew few degrees darker as Blaise leaned somewhat closer, making his gesture an actual warning.

"You knew my name, so you should know what sort of person I am, right? So take a hint. Back off."

With that, Blaise pushed past the redhead once more, sparing not even a glance back. After all, this was how it was supposed to be. If this had been some sort of mental game of chess, he had rejected even taking part in it. And if the guy, on the other hand, was just some new student looking to make friends... Well, better he make them in his own class. Having someone be ostracized just because they made the mistake of hanging out with him wasn't something Blaise wanted to happen. People could start whatever rumours about him - see if he cared. But there was no reason to have innocent people get caught in the crossfire.

So, the best choice for both of them was for them to go on their separate ways.

This Sirius Aust didn't need the social stigma. He could, after all, still enjoy a completely normal school life.

"..."

Still, there was one thing.

And that's why Blaise stopped after few steps.

"... But you're welcome at Gen, if you want," he said without looking back.

Blaise then resumed walking.

... Some students had recommended our soba shop? Weird...

That surprising reveal did put a slight smile on his face, though.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Mokujima Chris
    Aoyama, ???
    Monday - Morning

"Ah."

It takes only a moment.

Only a moment for Chris to realize that, even moreso than the comfort of a nice dark room, she really was blessed to be able to walk on solid ground for most of her life. Only now, when she is in mid-air, about to accumulate a truly dangerous downward momentum, does she truly appreciate the existence of the earth below her feet.

The moment passes, and she begins to fall.

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaa."

Daisuke and Lexie are yelling something, but their voices are cut off by the air whipping past Mokujima Chris' head. She grabs onto her glasses with one hand just as they fly off her face, and tries to use the other to reorient herself, spinning clumsily for a moment as either she or the world spin wildly, before glimpsing...

Oh. The ground is much closer than expected. Well then.

She prepares for a rough landing, but what Mokujima Chris was woefully unprepared for is...

To come to rest in a strong and sturdy embrace.

It takes a moment. Her eyes still have to adjust to the sunlight. Chris, with shaking hands, puts her glasses back on and blinks away the last of the blurriness, finally coming face to face with her saviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Namasaki Shuichi
    "Are you alright, Mokujima-san?"

"Forgive me for touching you without permission, my body acted of it's own accord."
    Ah. That person.

The Ace of the SDCD. The Ultimate Senpai. The Spirit Tamer that most embodies the term Spirit Tamer. And...

The man who unknowingly owns the hearts of half the organization's young dreamers, thanks to his encyclopedia of positive qualities, work ethic, accessibility, sincerity, grace, and general good guy-itude.

Naturally, Chris herself is among them, having observed him from afar in the cafeteria and wondered, at times, what a woefully inadequate girl like her could ever do to catch his attention. Which, perhaps, is why, when she opens her mouth to respond, nothing comes out.

No thanks. No requests to be let down. Not even a panicked admonishment. Only, after several seconds of silence, a second, muted, "Ah."

Mokujima Chris closes her mouth. She furrows her brows and thinks.

Yes, thinking will get her out of this mess. She will put her intellect to use, operating on all cylinders to figure out a magnificent solution!

However, such deep thought generates excess heat, which can only go to one place. Thus, as she ponders her situation, a curious phenomenon occurs, whereby Mokujima Chris' face slowly but surely turns red, starting at a light blush and slowly progressing until...

"..."

By the time she is finished, one might take one look at Chris and refer her to a doctor, who would promptly prescribe a week of bed rest and healthy eating for her fever.

However, it was not for naught. She has formulated a sentence, the sentence, and slowly, calmly, delivers it with all the monotone passion one might expect of a girl interacting with her crush for the first time.

"Senpai," asks Mokujima Chris, seemingly unaware of her full-face blush. "Do you like... donuts?"

Blog Entries
    Raz Stone
    Brewed Awakenings, Avalon Branch
    Monday - Morning

There were certain operations that even after all their time together the DTG undertook that Raz did not understand, one of which was occurring in front of him. Projected onto the lenses of the Hermes Shades, an augmented reality field overlayed the coffee shop with a smoky detectives office. In such, the DTG was in the process of dragging an old projector across a floor covered with cigarette butts and old candy bar wrappers. After he finished, he took an old circular reel from the top of a file cabinet and set it in motion, creating a grainy picture on one of the walls of the office.

To this day Raz didn't know if this represented some sort of intricate loading screen, something to convey that the AI of the HEAT system was processing information, a bit of theatrics from a COMP that found a showman like Raz suitable as a partner, or even just some sort of quirk of the system, but by now the young singer had grown somewhat accustomed to such displays. The image displayed a washed out image of the Matador demon, likely a split second grab from another COMP belonging to one of the squire's targets.

"All right, give me the run down," Raz subvocalized, accepting a third cup of Kona. Hey, it was free.

"The target goes by the name of Matador, got a rap sheet longer then Capone. He has a few rooks behind the 8-ball and is calling you out to get them outta their bit" The DTG grunted, lighting up a cigarette from a matchstick. "Gotta assume at least one of 'em knew how to handle a roscoe. Just one squire you might think was just a weak sister, but with three young'ns sleeping off chin music, Matador ain't no bum."

Raz had been thinking along the same lines. Matador had fought three knights in training and was jonesing for another round. It stood to reason at least one of the squires would have been a competent fighter. Since "competent" was about the most you could say for Raz's own combat ability unbuffed, it stood to reason that Raz could not expect to simply bull through the fight relying on superior ability.

"impressions?"

"Well," The DTG drawled out, with far to much enjoyment, "While I am just taking a gander out the public knowledge, Matador is the name of a persona belonging to the death arcana. A demon like this may actually be the personification of such, or may have just taken the name as it amused him. Regardless, one has to imagine if he has taken a shine to the name Matador, or is the actual Matador, y'gotta think he is throwing slugs made up of curse types. ...And you gotta glass jaw when it comes to shadow spells, flatfoot"

"Whose fault is that? Not my fault your harmonizer frizzes out when hit with like, half the elements." Raz's laconic response drew a scowl from his partner. The DTG was an older model, practically ready for scrap before he and Raz had bonded. It was a bit of a sore spot for the rough spoken detective that his systems simply weren't calibrated like some of the newest combat models, and a result shorted out frequently. Privately Raz was more then willing to trade some strategic weaknesses in exchange for the HEAT system's intuitive magecraft but he would die a thousand deaths before he ever let the DTG know that.

"Options?" Raz said after a moment of each staring the other down.

"Ambush." Raz's COMP grunted, regaining his composure.

"No. Neither of us is optimized for it, and more to the point, he has hostages he isn't hurting due to a sense of honor. Maybe they could handle it if he decided he didn't like our entrance, but it also could be he gets deadly when he feels like his opponent is not acting honorably. Next?"

"Get some help?"

"Nobody available. Besides they gave this job to me. Plus, again, if he doesn't like the approach, he could hurt the squires."

"Guess that means we strap on the holster then, don't it? Guess if everything goes tits up you can always use that."

...Yup. there was always that. Of course, using certain tactics violated Raz's sense of aesthetics. To be a knight was more then just about the pomp and ceremony, it was a way of life. A belief that despite everything, all the beliefs and self centered indulgences of the new age, even up to the literal presences of personified sin made manifest...

A knight believed that honor and chivalry hadn't died. There was still meaning to not just the winner of combat but how it was fought as well.

There were some squires who were doing their best to live by the code. Therefor, Raz had to free them. Raz tossed a few dollars on the table as he stood up, the DTG closing down the AR overlay. Sara may have sorted out the tab, but he still felt a tip was appropriate. Besides, the coffee was good here. He didn't want the barista to start thinking he was a cheap skate. That was a one way ticket to burned beans and old filters.

Speaking of that however...

Certain Tamers had interesting ways of travel. Flight was increasingly popular, and some, through feats of engineering or relentless practice could dart around at naturally supersonic speeds. Raz could approach such himself...but they required significant use of his spellcraft and he was a bit leery about having his COMP on the verge of overheating even before the fight started.

...Heh. But then again, the name 'Hermes' after all meant something.

When Raz walked out to the street, the road outside wasn't utterly packed, but there were certainly quite a few cars either making there way home or parked snuggly into spaces just large enough to allows doors to open without scratching the paint of the fellow next door. It went without saying that none of the vehicles available, moving or otherwise belonged to Raz.

...Since he had taken his with him. Raz's dark brown eyes were revealed when he pulled the Hermes shades from his head, shaking his head slightly in a negligent fashion to wave off glasses hair. Tossing the dark shades in the air led to...

...well, a sight that before the advent of magic, might have been somewhat unusual.

The Hermes shades stuck in the air approximately 10 feet off the ground, comfortably over passerby or vehicles moving through the area and hovering almost as if caught by a large, invisible hand.

At that point, large thin black panels began to emerge in all directions, mass far beyond what could have possibly been held by the darkened rims was undulating out rather like black paint across a sidewalk, rippling with an almost intelligent desire to claim more and more surface. When it was complete, a vaguely rectangular shape measuring 20x16 was simply hanging in the air, darkening the sidewalk for several passing under at the time. The bottom was a dark matte black, rather uninteresting, but the top was in the process of rippling in a multi colored fashion, generating 9 inch squares that eventually created an almost dizzying pink yellow and blue pattern. Towards the back, a wall of cloth slung, creating an area that could be used for instrument or dance. In the front, the strange machine held an upraised, quite slim stand, less then 6 inches around but standing nearly 6 feet high.

When Raz lightly jumped on top of the Hermes Stage...well, there were a couple more photos that he had to pose for. Miniature replicas of the Hermes shades that unfolded into tiny stages were a hot item on his fansite. Climbing up to the microphone holder at the front, for indeed thats what it was, Raz placed the Heat Microphone into the holder with an audible click sound. It was from that connection that the DTG often utilized the high tech visual and auditory systems of the Hermes shades to broadcast himself. He himself was the key to its operation after all. When Raz rose into the sky blasting towards the forest, he was accompanied by a melody that many in avalon had already begun to associate with Raz flying by.

Wise Up!

Heat Microphone- auxiliary Comp

-Fast Wheels, Magic Wheels-

4AP: At this point, the vehicle is akin to a mobile base used by the character and can be used to restock consumable supplies; when stationary, it is capable of producing it’s own unique Harmonizer Field independent of the COMP System. While this Harmonizer does not boost elemental resistances, it is capable of activating an additional auto skill of it’s own to support allied units so long as the fight remains close to the base. This field will deactivate if the vehicle is destroyed, and due to the nature of it’s generator cannot be utilized while the vehicle is in motion.

Replicas of the Hermes Sunglasses are one of the hottest items around these days. Signed variants, particularly of the original brand have been traded on an even basis for magical items of a mid level rank. Raz’s most notable accessory is the dark, flared rim sunglasses that he is never seen without. Marked on lens in the lower outside corner is a half folded wing, which indicates the true purpose. At command, the Hermes stage will form.

The concert upon which Raz performs is in actuality a massive stage which is capable of flight, traveling at supersonic speeds to reach the performance area. Through a nearly hitherto unheard of combination of magic and technology, the entire stage can be stored into the Hermes sunglasses when traveling with a full stage idol’s stage would be impractical.

Its Harmonix field is currently unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Aster
    Monday - Afternoon
    Will: 10

"Now now, that's quite a horrible thing to imply about me~"

The false voice becomes musical, and it becomes even harder to discern the 'reality' of the person beneath the mask.

That... Is probably also something done on purpose.

"I didn't drive either of them down there, I just made it difficult for them to leave."

Yes, musical... Sing-song...

Or perhaps... Something more like laughter...?

"But I'm not enough of a monster to beat that girl, she's a bit too strong for me, you see?"

---

Ayra Lilygrove
    Akarana Estate ~ Indoors
    Monday - Afternoon

"..."

No response.

Of course it is not like you had actually expected her to humor your words in the first place, if what she was being driven by in this moment was truly love, then the only way you were going to be getting through those doors was over her defeated body.

---However, the same lies true for you.

You won't turn back, and if she wants to stop you, she'd have to do so with absolute force. Just as you are aware of her refusal to step aside, so too is she aware of the method through which Joker operates, a vigilante that drags out the crimes of those who lurk in the shadows, and someone she had known would be coming to invade her place in this world eventually.

Yes...

No one can defeat Joker, or perhaps it is more correct to say that so far, no one has been able to defeat Joker. That by itself is already a modern day legend, a mysterious invincible warrior in an age where heroes were seemingly present everywhere, but...

"It doesn't matter what he did...I'll win."

That doesn't matter to her.

The moment she accepts that sort of logic, is the same moment in which she actually loses for real, before a single strike is even thrown out. The fact that no one had decisively defeated Joker doesn't mean it's impossible, yes... While a feeling like ice is descending down her spine at the sight of an unfaltering 'justice' her body does not shake at all, rather, she accepts it as her body's response to a hostile intent, descends into a stance of her own and-

"...?!"

In that instant, a blade has already appeared to pierce her chest.

---Yes.

In terms of the Knights, you were certainly amongst the fastest members, certainly a contender for the title of 'fastest.' Realizing that you are at a disadvantage so long as you are at range within this hallway, you dart forward with the intent of ending the battle in a single blow, or at least ensuring that she will never have time to mount a proper defense by barraging her with attacks.

---To fight at these speeds, perception is important.

The eyes that widen slightly in response to your charge do so a heartbeat late, as you are invading her personal space before her mind can seemingly process the motion at all... Yes, while her lack of an aura earlier had certainly hinted at her nature as a more competent opponent, it seems that she was lacking in the one area in which you excelled over everything else, and that had allowed you to close the gap before she could truly take advantage of her defensive positioning to force you onto the back-step-!

Needless to say, Joker does not kill their opponents. As the idea is that one must face justice for their crimes, targets were normally left in the care of those Tamers that arrive on the scene of the battle, surrounded by evidence of their misdeeds. Of course, one cannot pull their punches too much in these sorts of battles, so if any excessive damage is done, you'll heal her on the spot before continuing on to your true target, but-

But...

-Before your blade can pierce her chest, a violent and invisible force repels it backwards, as if reversing it's momentum entirely.

---If you weren't so used to these sorts of battles, as well as this spell in particular, it would have torn your blade from your hands. As it is, the you that holds fast to your sword even as your own crashing momentum is thrown back against you, redirects the blade up and over your head, letting it drag you back rather than be torn from you outright, body unconsciously moving to correct your now-diverted momentum as your opponent maintains her stance, the eyes that were once shocked going back to a neutral glare.

She doesn't boast.

---Because in some ways, she was lucky.

It had been a coin-flip defense, one prepared the moment she had stepped out in front of this door as the final barrier.

Yes...

Her lack of speed truly was her weak-point, but she had taken that into account long before you had arrived, after all, for her this was a defensive battle before anything else-!

While you hadn't seen a COMP system present on her body, her use of Tetrakarn, or rather, the fact that she had already been under the influence of such a barrier spell before you had even met her, confirms that she has some sort of access to magic. Considering the lack of magi-tech you can only guess that it's innate, but that in itself does not narrow it down nearly enough for a solid consensus...

ESPer, half-demon, natural psychic...?

All possibilities would allow the use of magic. Having been a Tamer for quite awhile now, you are positive that the thing that repelled you was the Tetrakarn phenomena, so you can neither confirm nor deny ESP abilities, half-demons were also difficult to tell at a glance, but-

"I see.. You are quite fast."

-A sudden surge of demonic power puts that question to rest. While a half-demon could pretend at one side of their heritage or the other by limiting themselves to specific abilities associated with their heritage, this girl throws that mystery to the wind as she unveils her spiritual power for the first time, a thick crimson mist rising up instead of the bright blue flames associated with most spiritually powerful members of humanity-!

"That's good... That's something I can be jealous of..."

The crimson essence twists in the air like a snake, before looping itself around her limbs as if it was alive... But she maintains her defensive position without casting any other spells, refusing to move herself from the door even though it forces her to confront all attacks head on, because for her...

This is a defensive battle.

Her win condition is not your defeat, rather... So long as you do not manage to get past her, she would consider it to be a victory on her part. Moving forward to push the attack herself serves to bring this goal closer, but all the same, she doesn't seem to believe she's on a timer here, and so she can take her time analyzing your stance, tactics and spells, searching for an opening with which to exploit, yes...

Against an overwhelming opponent that seems to be her style, and judging by the look in her eyes...

...She doesn't seem to be afraid of your immense speed either, at least...

Not anymore...

In other words...

She thinks she can keep up with you now.

Mysterious Maid

Name: ???
    Character Type: Half-Demon

Stats

AGI: D

Special Traits

-Otherworldly (???)-

Seems to have demonic blood. Doesn't appear to possess a COMP, so it's likely her nature as a half-demon that has allowed her to learn common magic through less-technological methods. Spiritual Power seems to have special characteristics, and emits an overwhelming feeling of 'jealousy' that accomplished spirit users can sense; a mark of her lack of true mastery of the power. Further details are unknown.

Other Actions

Envy's Grasp: ???

Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial: Auto-Skill Selection

When a battle begins, the first thing a player will do is designate their chosen Auto-Skill and Spell Formulas. A COMP can typically be equipped with six formulas at a time, although certain traits have increased this limit for some, and future upgrades may increase it for others. If one does not wish to reveal their list to other players, contacting the GM will suffice, in this case, the JOKER auto skill was already active.

In the event that a character is ambushed, an auto-skill may be chosen randomly from their library to activate alongside their harmonizer instead... In special cases, certain ambushes may negate the activation of someone's Harmonizer at all, so watch out-!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutorial: Harmonizer Break
    For those characters that use Harmonizers, damage is sustained to the Harmonizer when struck with damage that would register as neutral (-1) or weak (-2) to them. If a Harmonizer's value reaches 0, resistances will all drop to weak for a single turn, and all auto-skills will turn off as the Harmonizer reboots itself. During this time, a character is exceptionally vulnerable to all aspects of any magic that strikes them, and are typically far easier to incapacitate.

Certain characters may be immune to this status (such as ESPers) or may possess some innate resistances even without the Harmonizer (some half-demons.) Depending on the opponent, breaking their Harmonizer might be the best way to crack their defenses and open them up to a decisive blow-!

Study your opponent carefully, and choose an approach that seems to fit their nature-!

After a Harmonizer is broken once, it's rebooted state only has half it's normal harmony value until the end of a battle. This effect can stack.
    Last edited by Airen; May 10th, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Cosmos Fairchild
    Rose Cross Headquarters - Hospital Wing, Curse Ward
    Monday - Morning

"..."

While the ability to heal injuries and illnesses through magic has certainly lowered the number of long-term patients in hospital wards, it hasn't managed to strike such things from the planet entirely. If one must reside in a hospital room nowadays, then one must have been struck by something particularly nasty; a curse that no known counter exists for or that actively resists even Mary's attempts to cure it, damage dealt directly to the soul that must heal naturally due to it's nature, amongst other particularly crippling ailments, yes...

To visit the hospital is to visit those that will probably be in there for awhile. Of course it's not as depressing as it could be, science and magic progressed hand-in-hand every day, so there was no doubt in your mind that those here would eventually return to full health, but...

"...I see. Haven't changed at all have you?"

It doesn't make seeing their current conditions any easier, especially because there was apparently three or four people in strange comas at the moment, only one of whom was an ESPer... Unsurprisingly, Saria had shown her more competent side the instant you had explained the nature of your assignment to her, claiming that she certainly had heard of such a person, but that she needed to clear it with the higher-ups before she let anyone pass her by since she had been on assignment as the head guard here for the past two weeks, and...

"What happened to you Miyu? Even the others aged a little bit."

It seems that, just as Kenji had suspected, the dark-haired girl on the hospital bed was the comatose form of his old classmate. Just as his words implied, she looked notably younger than he did; of course, she was apparently an ESPer, so her immortal body could be used as the justification for this, but as far as you knew ESPers still grew physically to a point, not really stopping until their physical prime in their mid-twenties...

"Physically speaking she's perfectly healthy. She has no obvious wounds, and Doctor Lynx has confirmed that she has maintained a low level of neural activity. Strangely, while she doesn't respond to outside stimuli she's been observed trying to talk in her sleep, but nothing she says is intelligible. All we can make out is a 'Zeh' sound, at least, that's my understanding of the situation."

It's a somewhat more in depth understanding of the situation than you had expected from someone who was just on guard duty, but then again, Saria was certainly the type that would come to visit even unconscious patients on a whim, especially if she had been assigned to this area over the past couple of weeks...

"...Those symptoms match Apathy Syndrome, but that shouldn't be possible..."

Kenji, for his part, seems to be talking more to himself now than either of you. Rather than sounding sad or depressed however, the voice that emerges from the young director is a determined one, the sort of voice that emerges from a scientist in a lab as he resolves to find his way to the bottom of a certain mystery, and...

"There are others with similar symptoms correct? Where were they found? Is this Dr. Lynx on duty? I'd like to speak with her for a moment."

Yes.

It's a seriousness befitting a scientist, and the sort of thing that would ordinarily swallow others in it's wake, as Saria provides him with the answers he seeks but-

"I see... She will return here momentarily? If that's the case, I have time to make some calls, they'll want to know I found her..."

-he seems to realize this himself, as even as he starts for the door, he...

"You girls shouldn't delay any lunch plans on my account either. I will be here awhile, so feel free to leave if you'd like Ms. Cosmos, I'll be certain to praise you in my report. It was an enjoyable walk."

So saying he disappears into the hallway and-

"...Bureau agents sure are busy, huh?"

-Saria comments on it with her usual smile.

"Must be fun to travel all the time though..."

She sounds a bit wistful.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Cosmos Fairchild
    Rose Cross Headquarters - Hospital Wing, Curse Ward
    Monday - Morning

Cosmos looked at the comatose form of Miyu, and wondered what could have placed an ESPer like her - alongside three other people apparently - in a coma. Disregarding the advancement in both magic and science, an ESPer is supposed to have a strong regenerative ability, so the fact that something can place them in a coma is quite the worrying prospect.

Still, she couldn't help but think that Miyu looked so young - especially when compared to Kenji - and that fact tugs at her heart. Cosmos herself is older than she looked, so she somewhat could see herself on that bed in place of Miyu, with Mary being just as determined as Kenji in looking for a way to wake her up.

--It's quite the melancholy thought.

That's why as Kenji talked with Saria she allowed herself to be lost in thought, offering a prayer to the Almighty God so that the victims of these strange comas could soon wake up. That's all that she could do at the moment and nothing else, but she's well-aware of her own inability to do anything; that's why it's only natural to ask for help to The Lord who is all-powerful, for surely He can accomplish what men couldn't.

But just as she finished her prayer and heard Kenji's footsteps leaving the room--

Quote Originally Posted by Saria
    "Must be fun to travel all the time though..."
    Saria said something rather unexpected.

Her rather wistful tone as she said it was enough of an oddity that Cosmos turned her head to see the black-haired girl, and upon seeing Saria's usual smiling face, she could do nothing but to once again be lost in thought.

What could she have meant by that? Is it a desire to travel outside of Rose Cross more and nothing else, or is there a deeper, hidden meaning behind those words? Should she say something, and if so, what?

...She's really bad at this socializing stuff.

But she doesn't want to leave Saria to her own devices either.

That's why--

"You kept your promise. Surpassed it, in fact." Cosmos said softly as she looked at the taller girl in the eyes. "So I'll keep mine. Let's have lunch together."

--At the very least, she could do this much.
    Regalia Hijinks

<Erlkonig|Phone> Why get a gf, when Airen is your waifu?

<Airen|Phone> I'll save everyone, it's fine

<Snaxies> Airen is totally Jesus again

<frantic> I actually hate reading your post because you're so fucking anime

<Reiu> Regalia is a scary place desu...

<Mellon> He who lives by the oneshot, dies by the oneshot

Personal Compliments

<@RacingeR> Pally would be a perfect shoujo lead

<Erlkonig> I would fall for Pally if he was a qt shoujo manga lead girl

Quote Originally Posted by Airen
    Only pala is pure, the rest of ya are twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetose
    I'm not sure if it's like this generally, but Pala seems to be very good at making naive and innocent, but also strangely bulliable characters.

Blog Entries
    Aster
    Monday - Afternoon

"But I'm not enough of a monster to beat that girl, she's a bit too strong for me, you see?"
    “Enough of a monster?”

The way it’s phrased gives Aster pause. In a rather human-like manner, she bit her bottom lip in apprehension, a holdover from the person she was based off of. It could be possible that this mystery woman, capable of knocking out every servant, was unable to bridge that differential in strength between herself and the maid. Someone who was level 15 could beat a bunch of level 5s, but unable to beat someone what was level 30. That made sense on paper, but life was far more complicated than a game.

Still… If Ayra was having a hard time, sitting here, chatting with a complete enigma… Aster had to remind herself of her duties first and foremost. Ayra told her to stay put until she was requested. She couldn’t just abandon her post because she had a bad hunch. Ayra would definitely tell her if she was—

Aster, I might need you in a bit.

Aster: Why?

You don’t need to breathe.

Aster: The fuck?

Trust me, okay?

Aster: …Fine.

“It seems I might be needed soon,” Aster said, letting out a heavy sigh. Whatever inane plan Ayra had, it was sure to turn out to be a complete mess that she’d have to fix. “If you’re so kind to help us out, mind scheduling for a heart-to-heart after this? Your number for a date?”

Given how reticent her conversation partner was, this wasn’t liable to go anywhere. But it was worth a shot.

Ayra Lilygrove
    Akarana Estate ~ Indoors
    Monday - Afternoon
    Will: 10

I roll back with the blow, back to where I started. The entrance of the elevator. With my free hand I close the door behind me, tapping a button on a panel without looking. The motions are deliberate and calm, as if I’m unperturbed about what just happened.

But I’m not. My jaw is clenched so tight in frustration it’s uncomfortable.

I lost to a literal coinflip. That’s it. If it were Makarakarn instead of Tetrakarn, she’d have a gaping wound already. Instead, I’m on the backfoot, with my opponent very cognizant of the advantage I have over them.

A sigh escapes my lips, but it’s not nearly as cathartic as an annoyed huff would be.

"That's good... That's something I can be jealous of..."
    It’s easy to make a guess as to what’s happened from here. Half-demons are no strangers to conceptual manipulation—so it’s likely with this overwhelming “jealousy” she can match my speed in some form or deal with it. That change in demeanor says enough. Lucky girl reaping the rewards of her gamble.

Tch.

If I were her… I’d keep my cards close to my chest, but I’ll take any advantage I can get. Time for a plan of my own.

Aster, I might need you in a bit.

Aster: Why?

You don’t need to breathe.

Aster: The fuck?

Trust me, okay?

Aster: …Fine.

It’s clear she wants a defensive battle, proud of her endurance. That eventually she can outlast me and that will be that. Certainly durability isn’t my strong suit, but…

If she wants to play the stamina game, I don’t mind. As a half-demon without a COMP, every spell she casts directly drains from her reserves, whereas I with COMP in hand have some of the burden shared.

And if she thinks she’s the only one who can take advantage of the terrain, she should think again. A closed off hallway with poor ventilation… The duplicate from Mirror Image doesn’t need to breathe. She does.

If I can’t get it done by myself, I can always trust Aster to deliver.

I snap my fingers.

“Agidyne.”

Let’s see how much she appreciates a little heat.

Wise up!
    Name: Ayra Lilygrove / JOKER
    Affiliation: Knights of the Round / Phantom Thieves

Auto-Skill: Joker
    Spells Selected: Mirror Image, ???, Phantasm Step, ???, Agi line, ???, ???, ???

COMP Heat: 6/10
    Spells Used: Mirror Image, Agidyne

Stats

AGI: S (60)
    SEN: A (50)

Spells

-Mirror Image-
    Creates an inferior double of the caster that can be controlled by the COMP's AI if necessary. Further details unknown.

-Agi/Agilao/Agidyne-
    Rank E~C
    Element: Fire
    Cost: 1~3
    Assaults the opponent with bursts of intense flame.

-Phantasm Step-
    Gather Spiritual Power beneath the feet, allowing temporary movement that is close to instant. When combined with high natural speed, it becomes possible to dodge even supersonic strikes. A common spell amongst Spirit Tamers and Demons alike, it is the main reason why higher ranking phenomena are so hard to connect with, as an unhindered opponent will use this spell to ‘easily disrespect’ spells of a much higher ranking...

Although homing spells also arose as a ‘sort of’ counter to it.

On an unrelated note, Ayra is fairly certain Phantasm Step is better, despite knowing both this and Flash Truth, so this is the one she uses.
    Last edited by Katie; May 11th, 2019 at 02:51 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ludwig Karlfeldt
    SLEIPNIR ~ Flight Deck (North)
    Monday ~ Morning

The colder, calculated temperatures of the ship's interior soon give way to the natural light of the morning sun, alongside surprisingly heavy winds.

With the SLEIPNIR being as massive an entity as it was, it was inevitable that the many duos who had been dispatched to protect it's surface do so in a manner that is almost completely isolated from the other teams. Of course this isn't particularly bothersome, if there was one thing Rothschild members were good at, it was handling themselves; in fact, if anything could be called strange in this scenario, it would be the fact that you had been assigned a partner at all, rather than doubling coverage of the surface area by splitting everyone up, but...

While the Commander expects much from her subordinates, she is still concerned about their well-being; because the opponents are a very bizarre case, existing as entities that can seemingly bypass many of the SLEIPNIR's defense systems, she treats the scenario with so much caution that she has even emerged to fight herself, even as the now-immobile ship is firing into the distance, yes...

Does she know the nature of the enemy?

It's a question you had asked yourself, but one that had soon faded away... Nevertheless, a sort of answer had appeared to you as the two of you had stepped out onto the center of the ship together, standing right over the heart of the bridge, a metallic 'storm' following along in the ship's wake, just as Anna had declared in her announcement to the ship at large.

"...If they can block the ship's systems without hacking, there's a chance they're from the same family of technology as the SLEIPNIR. In that case, I cannot afford to underestimate them, no matter how weak they appear to be; even in the best case, I don't trust anything that would attack this ship in broad daylight to be as weak as it appears."

That's her answer, but it's also one she doesn't clarify any more on...

Of course, the SLEIPNIR itself had been found along the floor of the ocean, so the possibility of similar artifacts was more likely than it was unlikely... But...

Yes...

If that was the case, you could see why she wasn't pulling any of her punches in this case, still...

"But that's all merely conjecture on my part. We won't be able to tell for certain until we recover their parts, so get ready."

As she says it, the 'cloud' finally breaks past the combined efforts of Anna and the other gunners, becoming a swarm of metal spheres that move to encircle the ship from the outside. In comparison to the initial swarm -that had seemed impossibly dense- the amount that actually manage to pierce through the shields to accost those atop the ship number close to a hundred, but...

Even that is amazing, as they had had to cross the SLEIPNIR's bounded field to do it. But they do not shatter that cocoon-like barrier by force, rather, much as they evade the auto-lock systems merely by existing, their forms are seemingly 'permitted' by the ship's shields and allowed to pass, even so...

Even so...

This'll still be over quick.

They're in the shape of spheres, each around the size of a person in shape, with something resembling a lens always spinning to face you. It's from this lens that their only apparent method of attack -a burst of electricity- emerges, but...

Encountered: Mysterious Drone x20

All in all, they're both fragile and slow, and their movements are relatively straight-forward...

In comparison to the bots in the simulator, who could learn things over time even without a true A.I onboard, these robots seem to only be following the command of ineffectually attacking the ship, and as both you and the Commander casually step to the side to avoid an arcing burst of electricity you can feel it down inside, yes...

The feeling that this isn't quite right, or rather...

It's far too easy to be legitimate...

"Keep your eyes open."

You didn't need her to tell you that-!

----

Logan Starbright
    SLEIPNIR ~ Flight Deck (South)
    Monday ~ Morning

"Alright, if we wrap this up fast the food should still be warm by the time we get back-!"

In the end, the mention of the Commander had caused the silver-haired girl to relent in her attempts to do the impossible; while she was certainly bizarrely attached to food in most of it's forms, her loyalty to Adala is something that would ultimately trump that obsession every time, yes...

While she does not refer to her as "Mother," that's the sort of the relationship the two of them seem to have... Of course the Commander is not really the openly maternal sort, but she did raise Astra, so it seems that the girl's desire for 'strength' was also a desire to 'be useful' to her Guardian... Naturally, that sort of quest is one that she has likely already completed, but just because you are able to see it that way, doesn't mean that she is capable of doing the same...

Then again, if what she really wants is to be acknowledged as a daughter, then it might be one that takes awhile, after all...

---The Commander had never seemed like she would be particularly good at saying those sorts of things out loud...

"Still, they look kinda weak."

Anna had already finished scanning their capabilities, and the data you were presented with wasn't anything spectacular; they lacked plume-based AIs, were relatively slow and fragile in comparison to demons and tamers, and only seemed capable of electrical attacks.

"But if they can just slip past the shields, they might have some sort of weird trump card..."

That was true enough, but...

"But that doesn't matter, let's make it a contest. See who takes out more-!"

Even as the encircling cloud reveals itself, the girl just smiles to herself as she suggests a certain idea, and...

Well...

Encountered: Mysterious Drone x20

Faction/Army Battles and Hero/Soldier Fights Tutorial

While much of the focus in Spirit Pulse is on more traditional battles against singularly powerful opponents, there may be rare times where the combat scenario becomes akin to an army skirmish, in which case, the more standard free-formish rules will deviate slightly from their normal routes, to clarify:

-Explanation 1: Hero Units and Soldier Units

In this RP, hero (boss) units are those who have reached a certain level of strength; enough so that no single average opponent could hope to defeat them on their own, although some heroes will certainly be far stronger than others. The PCs themselves are considered to be Hero Units, and other examples of such beings are powerful demons (such as Belial), ESPers, and Spirit Tamers or Demon Summoners.

Soldier Units on the other hand are weaker, and tend to only offer true resistance against Heroes in larger groups. Such beings include weaker robots (such as those present in this update), or low-ranking demons. They are easily defeated by hero-class opponents, and their stat system is considered to be of a lower class than that of heroes (their C rank is different than a hero's C rank) but when supporting those stronger than them effectively can easily tip the scales of a battle in favor of their side, and may have special abilities of their own that better enable them to battle those stronger than them, such as being difficult to sense for those with a low Sense Ranking, or being immune to physical attacks.

Explanation 2: Free Finish

The Free Finish mechanic refers to the act of a hero unit attacking soldier units without someone strong enough to oppose them being present, and enables a player to attack and potentially defeat a certain number of them a turn, depending on their stats and abilities.

Typically, there are two different methods to do this, each with their own pros and cons:

Blitz: For every rank of AGI possessed by the character, they can make one normal attack on a Soldier-type opponent. If that attack value surpasses the opponent's durability, they are considered to be defeated and can be dealt with inside of a player's post; if it does not, the player can use another of their 'attacks' on them again until they reach the necessary value, although even the strongest of Soldiers will typically go down in two 'attacks' barring special abilities. For instance, if a robots had a C Rank in VIT, a Tamer with D Rank STR would have to use two of their 'attacks' to defeat them in that turn through this method. If a character's normal attack is being modified through a spell to the point where they would do indirect damage to others (shock-waves, fire aura, etc) those defeats (if any) will be decided upon the GM, and will be dependent on the current narrative scenario.

When blitzing opponents, one cannot also use AoE magic, due to the focus needed from both User and AI to succeed on a crowded battlefield; however, reinforcement type magic is viable. If an opposing enemy hero is present, and isn't being attacked by another hero this method can't be used (as there's a possibility they'll interrupt you somehow).

Bombardment: Utilize magic spells to defeat opponents. AoE style magics are typically considered to be able to target every opponent within one's harmonizer field; as a result, they are normally used as an attack on all opponents at once, including enemy heroes. However, their destruction cannot be confirmed in a player's post like Blitz, as the sheer range such spells grant also make them somewhat more inaccurate when it comes to actually striking their targets, so their results may vary depending on a number of factors, such as player positioning, the nature of the attack used, and the defensive aspects of the opponent.

Typically, the chaos of battle allows for such spell a turn; but if the player can make a reasonable argument for it (the approaching enemies are far away, someone is defending you, etc) you might be allowed to do more without being slapped by the GM for it.

Enemies that remain standing after a free finish phase will serve as narrative penalties against a player, and some might be capable of circumventing defenses that one has put up, such as shattering any barriers you might have cast, although even then they are typically too weak to actually defeat a hero by themselves without overwhelming numbers, which leads us to the next topic.

Explanation 3: Hero's Guard

When a hero-tier character appears on the battlefield for the enemy side, the battle will go back to the more free-form rules as opposed to the free finish ones, with the presence of soldiers serving as narrative bonuses or penalties dependent on their affiliation, and whether or not the involved characters have perks that allow them to better handle being attacked by a group. With an enemy hero present, getting rid of soldiers becomes more complicated and less certain, as your opposite number will be given an opportunity to react to your actions. In that case, it might be wise to use attacks that they would have a hard time defending others against, perhaps send out a familiar in an attempt to lessen the enemy's supporters? Manipulate the environment in some way? Or even simply hold out until other 'heroes' from your side (hopefully) arrive?

Other times, it might be a good idea to simply try to defeat them head on...

Finally...

Explanation 4: Harmonizer Effects

With Tamer's specifically, Applicable Harmonizer Bonuses/Penalties (if applicable to team mates/opponents) will affect all those in the same area tag (such as SLEIPNIR ~ Flight Deck (North) ect, as themselves.

Mysterious Drone

Character Type: Soldier/Mook
    Durability: E

Abilities

-Direct Current-
    Electrical spheres that are fired from the 'lens' of the Drones. Has a tendency to linger in the body of those it strikes head on, keeping them from moving due to intense convulsions of the muscles. Not very fast or accurate, but can become a problem in greater numbers.

Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Eva Ellet
    Velvet Room ~ Stage
    Monday – Morning

I must confess- it is somewhat embarrassing that Agatha was so easily able to pick up on my lack of enthusiasm. She’s evidently rather fond of it- it’s a relief that she wasn’t offended.

As for the contents… they’re not good signs, which is a little surprising to me. But there’s something more pressing than that to think about…

“…awoken?”

Eva Ellet
    Rose Cross ~ Library
    Monday – Morning

In response to physical stimulus, I begin to stir.

Let it be stated that I am not particularly a fan of waking up. It takes me a while, and in the meantime, I try to look around for the source of the disturbance I felt earlier. It doesn’t take long for me to find what I’m looking for – a certain Catherine Thornley. Fellow spirit tamer of the Rose Church, lover of books, notorious for her lengthy lectures…

…and, if I may be somewhat presumptuous, a friend. I think we get along fairly well.

Of course, I do try to get along with others as well- I was taught to do my best in ensuring that I never run into any trouble with my coworkers, regardless of who they are or how they act. I am to treat them equally. And I do not believe I have failed in this regard- I try to listen to what they have to say, never force my opinion on them, obey my orders, and always make an effort to get along with whoever I have to work with. And I do not do anything that would go against the teachings of the church. So I think as far as my behavior is concerned, I have not committed any errors thus far.

But regardless, I am not very close with any of them. Catherine is the exception, and I value our relationship. Listening to one of her lectures is far from a rare occurrence for me.

"It's not like you to fall asleep on me, are you feeling sick?"
    Falling asleep during one of them on the other hand however, is rather unusual.

“Sorry. As for my physical condition…”

The idea that is it because I am unwell seems rather unlikely to me, but I consider her suggestion rather seriously- because taking care of my condition is essential for my job as a Tamer, because I too am somewhat concerned, and because I don’t want her to worry about me.

So, I check a couple of my diagnostics. It doesn’t take me very long to get my responses, and I summarize the results.

“My dusk core seems to be working fine.” A bit of pride begins to seep into my voice as I start listing off a bunch of successful checks. After all, good results means that nothing is wrong, which is good. “All of my sensory devices are operating within expected tolerances, and there are no issues with my motor functions. And in the past 24 hours, I have taken an appropriate amount of rest…”

But it doesn’t take me long to realize the inevitable conclusion. My voice deflates.

“…So in short, I’m feeling fine, and there is nothing wrong with me. Therefore…” My thoughts go towards the new key in my pocket, but I don’t know how to begin to explain it. “…I have no reasonable explanation for why I fell asleep earlier…”

I fidget, uncomfortable with this conversation. After all, if you line up the evidence I’ve just presented, the most straightforward conclusion is that I fell asleep because I was bored.

“S-sorry.”

I hope she’s not upset.

“I-it won’t happen again…”

Wise up!

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Logan Starbright
    SLEIPNIR ~ Flight Deck (South)
    Monday ~ Morning

If there was one thing that Logan realized during his year of interacting with Astra Palesch, it was that she was fortunate. She was without a doubt strong enough to be useful to the Commander, who was for all practical purposes her mother. Her drive to continuously train and challenge herself was admirable, necessary or not. Though if it was a more bubbly reaction than the Commander’s usual manner that Astra desired, she’d need something else. Maybe a Mother’s Day card and breakfast in bed? He thought of brunches spent with family, elegant food and sunlight shining through inviting windows onto glittering mimosas; the image of the Commander idly swirling a glass forced him to choke down a laugh. At any rate, while the details of such an endeavor were unclear, Astra would definitely succeed. She’d earned the right to be loved, after all.

Oi, dumbass. Eyes on the… well, you can’t really call those prizes can you? Participation prizes, maybe?

Logan blinked and stared upwards, eyeing the drones that approached backed by the sun. Amelia and Astra shared the same opinion, one that Logan couldn’t really dispute. “If nothing else, they do have numbers.”

"But if they can just slip past the shields, they might have some sort of weird trump card..."
    “Perhaps they’re some sort of virus or white blood cell analogue for the ship.”

"But that doesn't matter, let's make it a contest. See who takes out more-!"
    Truth be told, Logan wasn’t much for competitions. Winning was the natural result, and losing was a grave sin. When it came to Astra’s challenges in particular, there was no acclaim to be gained, no accolades to be made, and thus there was no benefit for him. Furthermore, their base was under attack; despite the lackluster appearance of the enemy this was an extremely serious situation, and thus ought to be treated with the proper gravitas. Logan had compared himself to others many times. Each time he had been lacking.

But if there was one thing that Logan truly despised, it was letting someone else down.

“I won’t hold back then.”

Logan tightened his grip on Amelia, expanding his COMP to its full length. He felt a shudder run through his body as his Harmonizer Field activated, signifying his right to stand alongside myths made modern.

We going with the usual, Logan?

Yeah, I’ll rely on you for it.

There were twenty enemies above and approaching, their only displayed method of offense being relatively weak bolts of electricity. The likelihood of some sort of trick was 60%, maybe 65%. In that case, engaging directly would likely be the safest option; he could probably down at least four before needing to center himself again. But this was a competition. Logan slid into a crouch, and then swept Amelia through the air like a samurai’s quick draw. The most important thing was to immediately gain a strong lead!

“Maeigaon!”

A torrent of black fire erupted from Logan’s swing like a volcanic blast. The tsunami of cursed energy ripped through the sky, undoubtedly destroying many of the drones. But not all of them. If there was one disadvantage to Logan’s large-scale magic, it was his inability to fine-tune the accuracy. There would be survivors capable of evasive action or retaliation against him, who had extended past the ability to maintain a perfect guard. There would be a shift in formation, perhaps flanking or encirclement. There would be circumstances, reactions, and strategies that would be impossible to account for.

Unless you were Logan Starbright.

With Logan’s signal gun, Amelia activated Logan’s most reliable spell.

Eye of the Fates.

Wise Up!
    Auto-Skill: Revitalize
    Spell Formulas: Maei line, ???, ???, Eye of the Fates, ???, ???
    COMP Heat: 6/10

Revitalize - Regenerates a small portion of Logan’s stamina and gradually heals his wounds. An auto skill popular with Spirit Tamers who believe that the best defense is a strong offense, as it reduces the need to overstrain one’s COMP with a costly healing spell.

Eye of the Fates - A simple, yet undeniably powerful spell that allows Logan to see 5 seconds into the future of the area within his Harmonizer Field for 1 turn. He recognizes all events within the zone and timeframe, dramatically reducing the effectiveness of surprise attacks and ensuring he always has the initiative. [FURTHER INFO REDACTED]
    Element: Spirit
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; May 13th, 2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3