Page 15 of 142 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Spirit Pulse : Mugen No Sekai [IC]

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Outside of "For Pete's Sake."
    Monday - Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiko
    "I'm just a dangerous person to be around okay? I've got... Well, I guess you could call it really bad luck... Since you're her brother... Well, I don't want to risk hurting anything else of hers. So you should just turn around right now and forget I exist, okay? You fulfilled your promise, so there's no need to follow me any further than this."
    Hearing that, Kaguya was about to retort quite fast. Indeed, judging from the expression of the COMP AI, she was rather indignant about Tsukiko Aido's attitude towards Blaise. However, before the bunny-eared delinquent could get a word out, the blonde youth raised his hand, shutting her up. Instead, Blaise opted to keep his stare locked at Tsukiko's eyes, taking a moment of silence before answering.

"You know... I don't know if you're just a bad liar, or if you're doing that on purpose, but..." Blaise started, putting his hands on his hips and sighing. "That's not a way anyone tells people to stay away from them. If you wanted me to stay away, all you would have had to do was to ignore my request and disappear into the streets. That would have been the end of that. Or, hell, just tell me to piss off."

Blaise wasn't that good with people.

He was even worse when it came to reading other people's moods and emotions.

He, however, had seen enough people during his time on the streets, defeating delinquents and learning of their circumstances (not to mention making them repent) that he had developed a certain sense. A certain sense when people weren't being honest in one way or another. And right now... at least to him, the situation felt like one of those. He might have been wrong, of course, but something in the way Tsukiko Aido had spoken to him made him want to refute her words.

... Just because.

"But when you phrase it like that, well... it's like rejecting me with one hand, and asking for help with another," Blaise continued, this time folding his across his chest, refusing to look away from the girl. "If there's something you want, you better say it straight - not to beat around the bush. I mean..."

A slightly sardonic grin rose to his lips.

"... Otherwise things might get confusing, and a nosy guy who can't leave a girl in trouble might decide to get involved for the hell of it."

Behind him, Kaguya seemed to have a conflicted expression when she looked at her owner. She clearly didn't trust Tsukiko, and in this situation she was most likely against getting involved with her further. Yet at the same time, she naturally accepted the fact that Blaise refused to leave someone alone who might need help. That was the way her "Banchou" did things, after all. Beating up evil people, helping out those in need... an antiquated way of chivalry that didn't necessarily mesh well with the world of today.

"Besides... I'm a tough guy. Tougher than I probably look. No matter how dangerous a person, no matter how bad their luck... I think I can handle it," Blaise said further, this time with a slightly encouraging smile directed at the girl in front of him. "You said you didn't want to hurt anything else of my sister's... meaning you already have. Yet you regret it, and don't want to do it again. That tells me all I need to know. Don't fear, Tsukiko Aido. I'm tough because of my nee-san. So that she doesn't have to worry about me, so that I can protect her, so that I can help her... and anyone else I want to."

Another moment of silence that Blaise finally ended with a nod, as much to himself as it was for Tsukiko. With eyes that looked refreshed and clear, filled with a newfound determination like his mind had been set and his path had been chosen, the boy looked straight into the eyes of Tsukiko Aido and refused to back down.

Because that was his way of being a man.

"You might be a weird four-eyes who speaks like a grandma..." Blaise started with a lopsided grin. "... But just from the fact that you don't want to hurt my nee-san tells me you're a good person. And that's all I need to know to. Nothing else matters."

His smile grew a bit softer.

"Even dangerous people deserve help if they need it."

Blog Entries
    Raz Stone
    Forest, Stage
    Monday - Morning

I think this is the part where I say I told you so.

Oh I wont deny it. As expected of the detective COMP! ...it does seem you were wrong about the puppet. Looks more like it was remote operated, not a free willed COMP.

Yup, and take note, that error in thinking cost us a potential move. If we had realized it had a direct connection to the real enemy we might have hacked the line and had one of the other's try to apply bracelets. But thats part of investigation kid. Don't be afraid of assumptions. But be ready when one turns out to be incorrect. In this case we won more then we lost.

The DTG was not just saving face. There was an evident glee manifest as his projection began utilizing a flashbulb pictures around the area. This was one of his "prompts" images. What it really meant was he was examining the area for evidence and information.

The Matador clearly little interest in metaphorical dusting for prints, as the skeletal warrior took his leave. Had he wanted to, he likely could have scored a decisive victory against everyone present, now that Ryan had pushed himself in the capture attempt and Raz had over exerted himself restoring Ryan's vigor. But everything about ity suggested he preferred opponents who were fighting at top strength.

Raz had the interesting and amusing thought the matador had probably expected a scenario where Raz had strengthened the squires and fought as a support mage bolstering a team, as opposed to charging in like an idiot. But it had been fun all the same!

It was with that in mind that Raz offered a traditional fencer's salute in reply his first opponent during this encounter, First extending his microphone out at a perpendicular angle, twirling it once, then tucking it under his left shoulder in a formal bow.

"I will take your compliment demon, and offer one in reply." Raz said, with a wolfish grin. "The greatest compliment one warrior can offer to another. ...I want to fight you again. Be ready, for when that time comes."

If you are done show boating...

I'm never done show boating!

Shut up. Get your skirt to lend me a hand.

Raz caught on immediately. There was an active signal open in that lap top. Ryan's heroic attempt had provided a veritable treasure trove of information on the enemy combatant. The DTG wasn't going to wait to return it to avalon and give the enemy a chance to activate a remote kill switch. The benefit of utilizing a support COMP was exactly in this kind of battle. But that didn't mean he couldn't get some help.

"Erika, my heart and my soul! protecting your brother even when weakened, I'll sing your praises to the farthest star." Raz chef kissed his fingers, smiling happily. Secondary fighter drags herself back just to make one final move to secure the win. dramatic and heroic. A flamboyant star like Raz Stone couldn't help but appreciate the moment.

"I know it will be hard, but still, I'll be borrowing your power!"

Linking A.I. programs for different purposes was fairly standard. Communications, individual battlefield awareness protocols, certain harmonix programs, these all were passed as a matter of course to allied units. More complex protocols usually required a certain level of trust and mutual understanding. In theory, what the DTG wanted, Raz could have requested from all three squires. The DTG wanted to borrow on allied computational ability for his next task, as a knight with squires, Raz plausibly could have taken charge and gotten all present involved, especially Ryan, as his was less damaged over all.

However, the investigative COMP which resided in the HEAT microphone was only familiar with one present unit. Because Erika and Raz had already been assigned to several missions together, their COMP's already were well experienced in combining forces. The trade off was similar to deciding to use a well familiar hand gun vs a powerful but never before utilized assault rifle. Even weakened, it seemed the gritty detective felt whatever limited support that Erika could provide was better then any hastily thrown together matrix of all 4 systems.

You trying to break through before he triggers some kind of kill switch?

Well that, and I am hoping he panics and tries a counter hack. You did good kid. When you take a schemer and surprise them, they make mistakes. He didn't expect your sonar. And he definitely didn't Ryan. He lammed off quicker then he wanted. I don't doubt that he has a few preloaded surprises ready for me here. This kind of scuzzball always does. That's my game though. I want him to panic and start throwing things together without thinking it through. Worst case scenario, I get as much data as I can before some kind of auto-defense program wipes it out. Best case scenario, I catch him with a shoddy hack, Ericka and I reverse engineer it and find his hidey-hole.

Isn't the worst case scenario he successfully breaks through your defenses, remote triggers an overload and leaves the squires screaming at the mushroom cloud which is rapidly vaporizing my twisted corpse?

You wouldn't get a chance to say I told you so, so no. Let me do my job rookie. As they say, the game's afoot!

Raz shook his head wryly. Even for a knight, some fights weren't winnable. Besides, the DTG had been right about their being a mastermind. The move he was taking was more risky then the COMP was letting on, but he had earned some leeway in how to approach this "case."

"Ryan, baby! Well done. do me a favor. Take daddy's car and drop off Raz the lesser with security at Avalon. Watch out just in case it explodes. Then check yourself in with the nurses. Tell 'em Raz said you deserve a bed and credit for offsite training. Brag it up to any girl you meet, I'll back you up."

Letting someone else pilot your expensive and iconic vehicle, let alone someone like Ryan who was known for choosing to screw around and goof off was risky in several ways. But it also served as a combination reward as well as signal that something needed attending too. When Ryan showed up with what would appear to be an unconscious Raz on the stage, enough questions would be raised to get things moving quickly instead of Ryan having to answer awkward questions about why he wasn't in class. Raz could have programed it to automatically return to Avalon without detour, but he deliberately didn't, instead just writing a temporary access code allowing Ryan the ability to pilot it.

As Raz watched Ryan load up the inert body as well as the nearly inert third squire who had yet to get involved in the situation, Raz could only think that it said a lot about how hot the DTG must be working to delve into the left behind laptop that he did not add in any color commentary about Ryan crashing the stage or something.

Erika Winters needed to stay back of course. Raz lent her a shoulder and put her sitting up on a nearby tree, standing in front of her. He wasn't sure he would be needed to fight, but it never hurt to be safe. besides, the fairy filled forest always had risks for the unwary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

The Time-Governing Twelve Covenants Airen's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Raz Stone
    Forest, Stage
    Monday - Noon

"...How interesting."

Ultimately, the skeleton does pause for a moment at your words. It had likely intended to withdraw dramatically from the battlefield without saying anything else, it's flair for the over-dramatic declaring that a cape-fluttering exit would truly imprint it's visage on those it was leaving behind, but-

"Those were my words, Bard Knight of the Golden City. We will certainly meet again, and at that time... I will expect you to be even stronger. That is your duty as a human, move ever forward, step by agonizing step if you must."

As a skeleton it has a somewhat difficult time smiling physically, but that tone of voice left no room for doubt...

Just like you, there was a grin on it's face.

"But for now, I depart for other battles, other duels. Farewell-!"

Leaping up onto the top of a -mostly stripped- tree, the Matador spins to face the humans below it, posing blatantly in the sunlight... Before turning away once more, disappearing along with the flourish of it's red cape... It was obvious showboating, so much so that you almost think it had been spurred on by your own flair for the dramatic, and indeed...

It seemed you were both similar in some ways...

---Still.

Leaving Ryan with the 'keys' to the stage, it's probably only the fact that he's carrying one of his fellow -unconscious due to the Matador's earlier bounded field- squires with him that'll keep him from giving into the youthful urge to just 'take it for a quick spin,' or at least...

You hope that'll keep him from doing so...

While he had done pretty well when the situation had gotten somewhat uncomfortable, you could already see the flashes of laziness flickering in his eyes again, even as the stage zooms off into the distance -towards the castle town thankfully-, leaving you alone with not just Erika, but the spoils of battle, namely...

There was the laptop (which you had already decided to have the A.I's hack together), what looked like a strange helmet, and a pitch-black cloak that seemed designed to hide one's spiritual signature from the world around them... All together it was quite a bit of potential information, especially if one considered the inanimate doll Ryan had taken as additional evidence... At least, so long as it didn't wind up blowing itself up upon going back to town...

---Nah, it was a Tamer Base. They'd make sure it wasn't dangerous before bringing it into the laboratories.

Of course, the actual hacking of these sorts of objects was a task best left to the A.I's themselves, it was a battle that they were ultimately more suited for than humans, and one that their users typically can't help with too much anyway, thus...

Leaving them to it...

"Heart and soul huh...? You sure flirt with people a lot, you know?"

It seems there might not be much for you to do other than chat with the squire that had been left behind...

"It's nothing praiseworthy anyway... I lost pretty badly earlier. Didn't notice anyone in the bushes until you did either..."

---

DTG
    Cyberspace
    Monday - Noon

---Truly, perception was a strange thing for artificial souls.

Being somewhat akin to a half-data half spiritual life-form, they are entities that can observe the world in the same manner as humans do, while also engrossing themselves in a world of data that their users would be hard pressed to process in quite the same way without a particularly specialized skill set...

Hacking the system of another is also quite the bizarre experience, especially if it's not a simple in and out job, and rather a forceful collection of data from an unwilling source. For humans it would be akin to storming a castle, there are a number of traps that could be set for invaders, ways to immobilize the A.I of other systems and delay -or outright disable- their support functions, and...

It is... In it's own way, a 'battle.'

And in this battle...

It seems a trap was waiting for you right at the start of things. Rather than being opposed by a technologically talented human, it is certain the machinations of another A.I that have managed to separate your 'personality,' or rather your core soul, from the machinery that made up the other half of your existence... Of course, such a thing will not stop your body from doing some auto-cracking processes automatically to retrieve data even as it works to free you; it is but a brief trap that forces you to manifest in a 'body' inside the digital sea, the same way you would when trying to talk face to face with the A.I of another system and...

"..."

Alongside you, Erika's A.I says nothing as he too finds himself 'trapped,' even if only for a few moments.

While you have worked together a few times, this entity, referred to commonly as "Lucid," is the sort that doesn't talk very much unless he feels it is necessary... Of course, it is also an A.I that seems to have a bizarre fascination with memorizing dinner recipes -you've never asked why- so it's about as quirky as most artificial souls tend to be, and...

Just like you, he seems to understand why you've been brought into this particular space, namely...

This laptop's A.I...

Seems to wish to speak with you directly.

Yes...

"Hello. I'm Burroughs, a guardian A.I."

That certainly seems to be her goal...

"You seem to be trying to access these files without permission... Who are you two?"

But the manner in which she asks it...

Is remarkably innocent, or at least...

It feels like humans would classify it in that sort of way.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Please, remember it warmly.

We'll continue to walk down this path for eternity.

Mugen No Sekai

"The Illusion Incomplete Memories Produce Are,

Fleeting, Disappearing into the Future,

Until the Ruins of Yesterday Overflow,

For That Which Falls Only to Rise is Simply a--"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Daisuke
    Aoyama, Starlight Aquarium
    Monday - Afternoon

"Uwa-!"

As the swarm of butterflies melts and the room floods with volatile acid, Daisuke is momentarily overcome with panic. A geyser shoots towards him, and it's only the sudden force at his back that yanks him to safety in time.

"Ah, thanks!"

She swings once more, pulling them both out of the way of a wave of acid. Stray droplets sear through the COMP's suit, and he winces, more from regret than pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexie Davis
    "Ah... This was in the books... Pretty advanced case of Shadow Possession... That's no fun at all."
    "Advanced case... how long has she been Possessed?" Daisuke's imagination flickers to life, conjuring images of a girl alone in a room, haunted by her own shadows without anyone to lean on. Chris hadn't known, so it had to be... "That Master! What kind of 'help' lets it get this bad!?"

Another geyser erupts, and only Lexie's reflexes and Astral Chain save them from being caught in the blast. She has her hands full just keeping them alive, but Daisuke, who dangles from her grip like an oversized doll, is free to survey the battlefield.

...there! Hiding in the sea of acid, something is moving! It's far, and she has cover, but Daisuke can strike from range if he uses his internal armaments. All he has to do is line up his shot and... what then?

"You there!" Daisuke calls out to the girl swimming in the acid. "Do you think this is 'better'!? Were you told that it's fine to lose control of yourself like this? There's no justice in that! None at all! I'm sure... I'm sure if you'd just told someone...!"

"Don't push her. She's been through enough."

The abnormally harsh reminder from Chris checks the boy's naive words, before they can cut deeper.

Shadow Rampage. The state where one's will has broken and the Shadow has taken full control. At the moment, Sakurako is clearly in a state of loosened control, but that control still exists. Were her will to break, she might become even more dangerous, and worse... do something she might regret later. So how then, do they approach such a person? Just beating down a target is usually a safe bet for Tamers, with Data Capture assuring easy arrest and no risk of accidentally killing the target. But here, now...

"..."

The young boy stares at the bubbling water for a moment, wondering. This isn't the simple sort of situation he is used to. Unlike in other scenarios, there is no clear 'Justice' to be found, no villains to clobber and civilians to save. Their enemy is just as much a victim of circumstance, and yet, as the COMP of a Tamer, he cannot afford to hesitate. His heart and mind, no matter what, for the sake of his friends, must be unclouded!

"Lexie..."

He has decided.

"One second. Give us a one second opening... and I'll fish her out of that hiding place once and for all!"

It's asking too much, to start with. Lexie Davis has clearly had an awful morning. First she crashes through someone's roof, then she's dragged along as a third wheel to an impromptu date, and after that, her day's plans got canceled because of a friend's issues. Now she's being forced to swing from the ceiling above a floor that might as well be lava, carrying a tiny child and doing her best to avoid being melted by malicious geysers. And yet, because she's Lexie Davis, Daisuke is sure that, somehow, she's been having fun the whole time. And, because she's Lexie Davis, she'll be able to answer Daisuke's request for a clear shot, even if it's absurd.

Magical energy reactor, increasing output. Channeling to right arm. Fire mode, switch to wide range.

Charging...

Charging...

Charging...

Ready.

Three sets of eyes survey the battlefield. Daisuke, Lexie, and Chris, watching and waiting from the stairwell, staring morosely at the sea of acid from the other side of a glowing electric fence. But they are more than three sets of eyes: they are Tamers, in unison, working towards a common goal.

"Now!"

The call is silent. Yet, in that moment...

Daisuke raises his right hand like a gun, and, from his straightened index finger, aimed precisely at the where the moving presence will be in the murky sea, a condensed blast of magic emerges!

"Haaa-!"

It is no spell, but merely a condensed blast of energy, created by the function of Daisuke's body as a Weapon-type COMP. But, for something like this, rather than a complex formula or esoteric effect, a simple wide area attack to part the black sea is all that's needed!

Because...

Barely an instant later, from his left arm, one more-!

"Bullseye!"

Bullseye: A spell not meant for dealing damage, but rather, for making sure the enemy cannot evade subsequent attacks. Unlike Spider's Web, which restricts movement, Bullseye, upon striking, creates a crest that draws in blasts, acting as a beacon and making tracking the enemy that much easier. It is a commonly used spell for those that prefer long ranged combat, but actually getting it off is often difficult, since it is an enchantment-type spell that requires actually hitting the enemy.

Normally, it would be completely useless in this situation. After all, Sakurako is being shielded by the acid, which acts both to protect her and attack her enemies. Without a strong piercing effect, or braving the corrosive waters, there's no way to reach her. But, that's why Daisuke fired twice. A wide area of effect shot, to blow open a hole and expose the target for a split second, followed by a perfectly timed enchanted shot to thread the needle and strike before cover reforms!

Triangulating the target through three sets of eyes, he casts his line with perfect accuracy.

"Found you-!"

Eva Ellet
    Medical Ward ~ Ariel’s Office
    Monday – Morning

"Is this correct? If so... I have a bit of a proposition for you. I can... Sort of fix that, if you'd like... Probably... Maybe... Potentially..."
    !

Her query takes me off guard- partially because it’s a topic I was hoping I wouldn’t have to discuss, and partially because her offer is not one that I thought I would ever hear.

“That’s mostly correct. The reason I don’t have a partner is because I am, well… an artificial soul myself, so there’s no need.”

I had assumed that Agatha, either because she was a figment of my imagination or because she seemed to know quite a bit, was already aware, so I hadn’t thought to bring it to her attention… That’s what I would like to say, but there’s no doubt a part of me also didn’t really want to tell her. Mother thought it was a sensitive topic that other people might react badly to that I should avoid bringing up if possible, and I trust her.

And even if I were to put aside what other people might think, how do I talk about something that I personally am struggling to understand myself…?

Nonetheless, there’s no point in dancing around the subject with Agatha. Even assuming it isn’t already written in that file somewhere (where did those documents come from…?), there’s no point in hiding it since she’ll find out sooner or later. Better sooner.

I can only hope that it isn’t an issue for her.

“I apologize for not letting you know earlier. And, as for your offer…”

It would be lying to say that I’ve never thought about it.

As an Anti-Spirit Suppression Weapon, I can handle by myself all the functions a normal Tamer might call upon their partner to handle, so they’re not technically necessary.

But having someone you can count on to have your back in combat, who you can trust to be at your side, who you can freely converse with at all times about all sorts of issues… it seems like a good thing. It’s something that I can do without, but it would be nice to have.

Convenient, if that’s an appropriate word to describe it. I think having a partner is something that would be very convenient.

Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side- in reality, I imagine relationships between Tamers and their partners are not nearly as rosy as they may seem to me, but nonetheless, it’s something that comes to mind quite a bit recently. Unproductive thoughts, since there’s never really been anything I can do about it.

Until now…

“if you could do something like that, I…”

I twiddle my thumbs and look away- for some reason, I feel a little embarrassed.

“I would appreciate it very much…”

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Logan Starbright
    SLEIPNIR ~ Flight Deck (South)
    Monday ~ Morning

He’d regretted that day ever since. If he’d just been a bit faster. If he’d just been a bit tougher. If he’d just been a bit stronger. Whenever he closed his eyes, he’d see the same scene: the barrage of stones, the splatters of blood, the shards of armor, the threads of light. He’d sat on that wooden floor in Berlin, his gaze flickering between strings of code and golden thread and graven sigils and furrows torn into the dirt and a brave smile and a haunted gaze boring back at him from the screen between prophecies and ultimatums and a swinging hand. Tiresias. Nostradamus. Cassandra. Clotho. Lachesis. Atropos. What was the point? To be stronger? Why? To be loved? How? To never fall. Is that strength? It’s stronger than me. Is that enough? No. What is enough? Felling anyone in a single hit? Can I do that? No. I’m weak. Then how? Hit first. That won’t be enough? Then hit them again. Then they’ll hit you. Then don’t get hit. Can you do that? I have to. Can you be faster? Can you be tougher? Can you be stronger? I have to. What if you’re not? Then I won’t let them be. I’ll fight as long as it takes. I’ll stand as many times as it takes. I’ll break as many times as it takes. I just have to pass them. Who will you pass? As many people as I need to. How many is that? As many as I need to. I’ll surpass anyone. I’ll surpass everyone. Why? Because I want to change this despair that I see.

Logan Starbright had fixed his eyes on the future from that day onward. One step at a time, one obstacle at a time, one person at a time, always running forward, always striving toward that goal he could never reach - that goal that was now just a step ahead!

"Sorry, that'll be all for today."
    He ran forward, just one step away as fingers brushed against fading motes of gold. Logan slowed to a stop, still staring at the empty morning sky.

: She took it easy on me. All this time and I still can’t catch up to her.

: All that and I still couldn’t get a good shot in on her. That gap year of hers sure didn’t rust her defense at all.

: Still, she didn’t try very hard with all of this, did she? Last I checked, Sarah’s the straight-A no play breaks the ceiling when the teacher says to jump type; this was a solid Ds Get Degrees performance right here. She even left behind 0°C. Whatever she’s doing over there, she’s not exactly sparkly about it.

: Even so…

: Besides, it’s not like you went 643% either.

: I couldn’t. I can’t go past 100% without you, Amelia.

: You can’t even color-coordinate without me, Logan.

Logan tightened a fist.

: I was wrong, Amelia. It’s not that I can’t catch up to her. It’s that I haven’t caught up to her. Next time around, we’ll surpass her.

: Without a doubt!

"...Hostile units confirmed to have left our air zone. Attempting to track their destination now. All Tamers, check in."
    He looked over at his frozen adversary. Astra had captured him, so it was better for her to report on him.

“Logan Starbright, reporting in.”

Logan walked back toward Astra and Ludwig, adrenaline and pain still ricocheting through his body as a tired smile rose to his lips.

: Amelia, can you send Astra a message?

: Sliding into DMs, are we now? What manner of sonnet shall I put to page, Lysandre?

: You’ve got a coffee stain on your shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    Ayra Lilygrove
    Brewed Awakenings ~ Avalon Branch
    Monday - Night

"...It was Merlin."
    A heavy sigh escapes my lips. It’s always Merlin… no matter what secrets you may try to hide, she will dredge them out from the depths. And honestly, she probably knows… but since she hasn’t blabbered about it to everyone else…. I guess it’s alright?

It’s so hard to tell with her.

Aster: There has to be a way we can get back at her.

We shouldn’t even bother… She always wins in the end.

Aster: She, like everyone else in the world, is fallible, and I will waste precious processing power so that if I have to deal with your whining all the time, I’ll have at least gotten back at whoever started it.

I’m sorry?

Aster: I’m used to your misery, don’t worry about it.

I don’t even understand what my own AI is thinking…

"I was going through my paperwork at the time so I only know a bit about it, but Merlin seemed to think it was a good idea, a 'fated pairing' she called it," smiling sympathetically at you, the girl sighs aloud to herself, "Of course when you two first started out I would have agreed with that judgement, but... It's still not working out between the two of you, huh?"

"You two used to get along great, total life partners for sure... Must've been one hell of a fight."
    Fated partners…?

Aster: Ayra, please, turn on your normal brain so we can continue this conversation without you being distracted.

Still, if Merlin could see it like that… There was some hope of it truly working out after all, wasn’t there? If the problem could be fixed, then just maybe…

Aster: Ayra.

“I don’t even know what caused it,” I let slip, thoughts racing, no filter deft enough to catch them.

Aster: Ayra, please focus before you say anything else incriminating.

...Sorry.

I catch the next few words, a proposition, and brace for the real meat of the conversation.

"How do you feel about a Cross-Faction assignment? It's a bit of a publicity thing, but a few of us are getting sent out of country for awhile, and I was told I could choose my own partner for it. Destination is the North Pole, investigation of some strange phenomena... It's a bit overkill, but all four of the Major Organizations are throwing some of their Tamers at it as an experiment... It's mostly an excuse to strengthen global connections apparently, so it could be pretty fun... A change of scenery at least."
    “I—”

The words hang in my throat.

“I can’t.”

Aster: I can’t believe someone offers you a life boat and you just decide to sink it. Are you alright? I get you love spending time with Tsukiko, but she won’t even look at you and

Aster.

Aster: What?

Ignoring what you just said… (but she isn’t wrong, which makes it sting even worse) What is Joker supposed to do in Arctic?

Aster: I mean, that’s a positive for me. You can’t keep up this act forever.

I’m going to risk it all trying.

There’s an annoyed grunt from Aster as her emotions flare up, breaking the unofficial rule we’ve had in place for a while. I don’t blame her. She and I have never seen eye to eye on the Joker issue from the beginning.

Still… The justice I’ve sought for is in reach. If I could grasp it, then…

Maybe my happiness is still within reach, too.

“I’m sorry, it’s just… I think I’m better off working over here. I’ve always wanted to help as many people as possible, and while I know it’s important, being reassigned to Arctic is a bit… remote, to say the least.” I give her the partial truth. I’ve always wanted to help as many people as possible, but I’m conveniently leaving out the how… I feel so guilty.

“And even if Tsukiko and I don’t get along… I can’t find it in my heart to drop her just like that. Sorry.”

I think back to Akarana, asking me about the kind of distortion I had. He should have recognized us as birds of a feather.

Love is the only feeling in the world that means you’d willingly hurt yourself for someone else.
    Last edited by Katie; September 16th, 2019 at 07:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ayra Lilygrove
    Brewed Awakenings ~ Avalon Branch
    Monday - Night

"Ah really? Well, that's fine."

Ultimately, while it makes you feel guilty to have to turn her down, your old mentor doesn't seem to really take offense from the rejected partnership. Simply ordering another coffee with a brief hand-sign at one of the employees, the woman doesn't show any signs of getting up and leaving anytime soon... Which seemed to imply that she too had planned to simply spend her evening in this place, regardless of whether or not she had managed to talk you into going with her on her new assignment...

Yeah.

She seemed to think this was also a fine outcome, a bit disappointing perhaps, but ultimately fine.

"It is pretty isolated, huh?"

Spoken with a light smile.

"Well, I'll drag one of the other knights along with me, some squires are going too, and I don't think I could handle them all by myself... Maybe Zerah? No... He probably wouldn't go for it... William or Raz maybe?"

Shaking her hand -knowing that these sorts of questions aren't ones you are really able to answer- the girl ultimately decides to put it off until later.

"I've got a little more than a week to figure it out, so I'll worry about it later. So, if you didn't have any plans for it, I'm thinking there are a few things you could do to get revenge on Merlin... I'm sure Aster is thinking about it right? See, all you really gotta do is find a way to lock her in a room with Serena; I don't know how she does it, but Merlin's karma seems to manifest on her every time she's around, so-"

And just like that, she brushes the awkwardness of that rejection off...

And a long day comes to a close, with a mentor and a former student just chatting away until dawn...

---

Ayra has entered Free Phase (Off Screen)
    Length of Free Phase: Seven Days
    5 AP are available. 2 EP are available, but cannot be spent until Free Phase (On Screen)

Tutorial: Free Phase (Off Screen)
    In Spirit Pulse, there may be periods of IC time where the main plot will not (or cannot) advance until a certain amount of time passes. The time between these 'main plot' events are known as "Free Phases," and reflect how your character spends their time in their normal everyday life, or at least...

As normal a life as a Spirit Tamer can actually have...

Free Phases are split into two sections, an Off-screen Section -where AP are spent on various off screen actions- and an On-Screen Section, where EP are spent on more intensive scenes, such as notable bonding events with other characters, optional boss fights, deep investigation of an area, etc.

Much like how hero handled it in Kiseki, AP are spent on the character taking certain actions during the off-screen phase. These actions generally cost 1 AP each to participate in (although they can be taken multiple times/more can be put into it to boost the effect) and represent more mundane actions that a character might take that don't require heavy player input; the amount of AP one has is limited, and can change the options available to them in the On-Screen phase, so put some thought into how you spend them.

The following are the "normal" Off-Screen Actions. Some extra ones might appear to certain characters due to perks or faction allegiances (and if players have a more customized idea they might want to implement I'm open to it to a degree) but generally speaking they go as follows:

Patrol: Spirit Tamers are essentially magical police, and thus it is in their nature to patrol their respective areas from time to time, interacting with the civilians, stopping magical crimes in progress, finding strange items lying around, meeting someone new, or becoming aware of potential rumors that might be worth looking into... Out of all of the actions this is the one that has the most varied results, and can potentially result in a number of things. Can be done by oneself or with someone one knows, but seeing as how it is effectively work -and pretty intensive work at that- link progress with that character is typically much slower through this action than others...

But some things are only able to be uncovered alongside other people; likewise, some things are only able to be discovered if one wanders around by themselves. At this point in the RP only the character's own faction area is able to be patrolled at this time, but this may change in the future depending upon how the plot unfolds.

Hang-Out: Spend time together with someone you know, or a group of acquaintances. In Persona terms, these hangouts would be the ones that happen between Social Link ranks, where the problems of the other characters aren't a normal focal point, and it is simply a -hopefully fun- time spent between friends. As this action is representative of the PC asking their friends to go out somewhere the activity can be determined by them, and doing things/going places the others might enjoy may result in faster Link progress, which could lead to gifts from them as well as their Character Events appearing more often during On-Screen Phases.

Spell Study: Work on learning new spells, or mastering them to draw out more power from existing ones. The presence of teachers/friends, the amount of time available/how much AP you put into it, whether or not it is a custom formula (one being made directly by you) or one whose recipe you own, the location chosen for training, and the rank of the spell itself will all effect the results one manages to achieve in a single phase.

Progress carries from free phase to free phase however, so don't worry if you are unable to achieve it in a single phase.

Material Search: Enter the Demonic Server in search of higher quality crafting materials -for your own use, or for the use of others-. Runs the risk of running into powerful demons whilst inside the Server, and potentially becoming "damaged" at the end of a Free Phase due to a battle or encounter going wrong. "Damaged" characters will have certain debuffs applied to them at the start of their next few on-screen battles, depending on what they were unlucky enough to run into and not be able to defeat.

Work Order: Make a request from the more technologically inclined members of your faction for COMP repairs (if they become damaged), as well as item replacement. COMP repairs are prioritized and will always be done by the end of the current Free Phase, but due to having to prioritize that sort of work -from all of their Faction's Tamers- above all else, other requests that might be made by the character may take more time for them to complete.

While simple enhancements (such as adding elemental affinities to secondary weapons) do not require materials to be provided by the character, things like enhancement of one's COMP functions do require special materials that -due to their rarity- must be provided by the User in most cases. If the character possesses materials capable of that sort of thing, they will be made aware of it at the start of a Free Phase.

Request: Ask another character to do something notable for you, such as searching for items in the Demonic Server or having them upgrade your gear themselves to get it done faster. Because this is more akin to requesting a favor from them than them doing their job, success depends on how strong your relationship with that person is, or how willing you are to do something for them in return if they need it...

In the case of equipment upgrades, the character will probably have to supply the materials themselves.

Purchase: Access to the faction's equipment and spell formula shop, located in the local LOVELESS Mall. Offers a variety of common but useful and 'must-have' formulas, as well as basic Tamer-approved equipment. Formulas must be trained before they can be fully utilized, unless one has already done so in the past. Everything on display is common and available to all but... A good enough relationship with a certain shopkeeper -or high enough Renown- may enable one to get a peek at more... Rare formulas or items.

Higher value purchases will require more AP, and are representative of the character working enough to pay for the purchase in question. If one lacks the money, they can convert AP they have now into MP (Money Points,) and carry that on into the next Free Phase.

MP can only be used for purchases however, and cannot be turned back into AP.

Secret Shopping Channel (Only Available with Tanaka Perk): Look at Tanaka's chosen wares at the special time, and dial that number as fast as you can-! Things that appear on the secret shopping channel are typically at the extremes of rarity -really high or really low- and all those with the perk will get a chance at any one of the items on the list. However, due to it's nature as a bidding service, the actual winner of the items won't be revealed until the end of the Free Phase. If multiple people want the same item, it will typically be the one with higher AGI who gets it (due to being able to call faster) but occasionally, things might go oddly due to SEN, or even having a faster friend make the call for you...

Yeah... People take this channel pretty seriously...

Tutorial: Free Phase (On Screen)
    More intensive scenes that require far more direct player input, and can be chosen after the GM forms the results for the off-screen actions, and happen at some vague isolated time during the free period. Event Scenes encompass social link scenes (notable bonding moments with other characters), heavy investigation of a chosen area, as well as optional boss fights, all of which may offer rewards far beyond those normally attained by Off-Screen Actions, even if it doesn't become immediately apparent...

Character Events/Social Links: Progresses the story of another character, as well as their relationship with you. Much like the PCs, the NPCs have a path of their own through the story, and are working through their own problems as best they can; when a character wishes to spend time with you, they will appear as an option to spend time with in the on screen phase. Character events can encompass a number of things, from a more heart to heart hangout or date, to high-speed battles alongside them and everything in between...

These events heavily influence Link growth due to their nature, and the character's performance and actions during these events will ultimately decide whether the relationship goes in a positive or negative direction... Characters that have a good relationship with a PC are far more likely to help them out in return -even at their own detriment- in future scenarios, and will certainly grow to play just as much of a role in your PC's fate as they do in theirs.

Investigation: Follow up on a rumor heard during your patrols, the defenses of someone you're targeting, or even a simple hunch you may have formed by yourself... Can ultimately have a variety of results depending upon performance, and has the possibility of starting an optional encounter, or uncovering more secretive areas or shops.

Calling Card/Eliminate Target: If Joker/White Shroud, attempt to subdue this arc's target. Performance and preparation determine ultimate result.

???: Not yet applicable. Will appear at a later date.

Last edited by Airen; September 16th, 2019 at 01:44 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Even if the author is silenced, the performance is stilled and the actors leave the stage, the story will never truly end.

Regardless of the form it takes, as long as there are memories of it's existence, the story will continue on.

In a small ward in the heart of a once devastated town, life carries on as it always has...

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Cosmos "Fairchild" & Eva Ellet
    Medical Ward ~ Ariel's Office
    Monday – Morning

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmos
    "Please don't tease me, Doctor Lynx!" Cosmos cried, her tone a mix between a squeak and a scream. "You know that I am not one for romance, romance aren't supposed to give nightmares, and... and even if I do, I will not keep it a secret from mother! That's just wrong!"
    "Not supposed to give nightmares? Love is a pain, it could absolutely give someone nightmares. The undue stress it can cause people by itself alone... Yes. It's certainly the sort of thing that has it's share of downsides."

...Did she know she was sort of tormenting you?

Of course the Doctor had always seemed both more aware and less aware of things than most, and the small smile that appears at your reaction certainly seems to imply that she was getting the response from you that she had wanted, but...

"But I'll believe you for now. Medicine-wise there's not much I can give you for nightmares without doing more thorough tests, so I suppose I'll just prescribe extra bed rest for now. If you collapse again I'll have to take more of a closer look, but all of your vitals are fine... So I won't try and scare you with any oversized needles... At least, I won't try and do anything like that today, okay?"

She says it cheerfully, and it's certainly a joke!

Yes!

There is no reason for her to have any oversized needles in the modern day right?

...Spell-craft had elevated medicine past that sort of thing, right?

...Right?

"So I'll just have you sit in here for awhile so I can monitor you. If there's no further issues in an hour I'll release you. Now, Issac, I've heard you had quite the interesting encounter with a weird looking cat creature correct? Did it bite you? If so I'm going to have to do some analysis on your blood-work-"

---At least she'll get Isaac first it seems.

Meanwhile...

"Would you? I suppose it's something worth doing then, you are my very first guest after all-!"

So saying, the strange blue-haired woman gazes cheerfully at Eva through the call screen, the light feeling of embarrassment that she had seemingly been feeling herself fading away as she observes your reaction-

"I will do my best. It should only take me a week or so... Yes, I'll summon you back before you go on your little assignment. It'll be a nice to meet you present from me!"

-and seems to hype herself up in response to it-!

"Feel free to come see me before that of course, as stated before it is quite boring inside of this room. We don't get television, and I have to use magic to simulate an internet connection... The Master is rather old-fashioned I suppose, but it's still a little archaic in here-!"

So saying, the woman closes the connection from her end to let you get back to your business; of course, even as you turn to find a certain red-haired doctor/engineer brandishing an almost comically oversized needle at a -sweating- Issac, you find no real fear in the situation, after all...

Needles hold no meaning to someone like you-!

And there were things you could look forward to in the future now...

A trip abroad, and a partner of your own, yeah...

While not very action packed, for the two of you...

Today had certainly been an interesting day.

---

Cosmos and Eva have entered Free Phase (Off Screen)
    Miyu is available as a companion for Cosmos, Velvet Room facilities not yet ready for use by Eva, but Igor and Agatha are available as special companions for her.
    5 AP are available for both Cosmos and Eva. 2 EP are also available to both, but cannot be spent until Free Phase (On Screen)
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Afternoon

---The easiest way to describe her reaction was as a mild mental breakdown of some sort.

While many could potentially think of her words as a poor act of manipulation, a way of almost brazenly playing the victim card in order to ensnare the help of someone who could potentially be called gullible, the blank look that crosses her face at those words is a genuine show of what pretty much has to be some form of disbelief. She had felt bad for acting strangely to you after going out of your way to help her out earlier in the day -even if that help had gotten sidelined- and thus had felt it appropriate to at least explain why she had done the things she did, but...

That was all she had meant it to be, a general explanation and warning, hopefully one that was good enough to scare you away but...

"...Damn wannabe heroic kids! Why don't they listen when adults say things?!"

She shouts this at the heavens, as if demanding a plausible answer from the Creator itself -or some other nearby Deity perhaps- but seeing as how this was Aoyama, it was the sort of shout that also got barely any attention from the passerby -who glance at her as they pass- let alone God.

It wasn't a "death or danger" yell, so...

"Fine! Do what you want!"

Giving up, the girl lowers the hands that seemingly sought to shake answers from the sky, sighing as she realizes that she's dealing with a particularly tenacious personality, and-

"What have I gotten myself into... Is communication really this hard..."

-muttering somewhat of an odd statement beneath her breath, as if all of this really was some form of 'new' to her.

She shakes her head.

"I'm going inside, if you follow me... I'd appreciate it if you at least don't tell Noriko about me... And if I ever tell you to run, run, okay?"

---Super serious.

And the sort of thing she says just before walking inside, not even giving you a chance to turn down that part of her request in what seems to be the naive hope that you'll have no choice in the matter... Of course, that also means you don't have to actually agree to either part of it either, and...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Quote Originally Posted by Airen View Post
    "...Hostile units confirmed to have left our air zone. Attempting to track their destination now. All Tamers, check in."
    Ludwig Karlfeldt
    Monday ~ Morning

A peace returned to the ship. The enemies were retreating, or perhaps they were returning after a successful mission. It wasn't quite clear at this point yet, but they'd surely hear of it soon enough.

"Ludwig Karlfeldt reporting in."

Still, there was an undeniable silence hanging over the ship now. The fight was over, and if nothing else, his teammates had managed to capture one of the attackers.

I suppose not all hostile units have left our air zone, however that's theirs to report. I wonder why Logan isn't mentioning it?

Maybe he's just preoccupied processing what just happened with his sister?

...Ah, yes. I should try to ease his mind a bit. It'll probably help him to know that his sister preferred not to hurt him.

I think you should leave him be for now, and try to cheer him up later. He's been through enough because of you two Karlfeldts. Besides I think saying that will only deepen Amelia's distaste for you.

.......Now I feel even worse.

Good, means your heart is in the right place. Letting him process on his own for now is good and besides knowing you, anything you'd say would just make things worse.

You know I'm right.

I wish I could deny that.

You know what to do next, don't youuu~?

Do you think you can wait for Pancake time after you're repaired and back to normal.

...Very well. Promise me you won't do anything stupid in the meantime.

Think I'll just go see Anna and snoop on her monitors. See how everyone's faring after all this.

"Anna, any idea which direction the enemies went, and what they were after? Were they successful in their mission?"

Though the assault on the SLEIPNIR has passed, somehow it feels as if the trouble has only just begun.

All this has happened, and yet it's still only morning.

---Yep, being a Tamer is tough work.

Blog Entries
    Logan Starbright & Ludwig
    Monday ~ Morning

"...We are currently analyzing what remains of their spiritual signatures, but so far we have been unable to pinpoint their exact destination Ludwig."

If there was one person whose voice would remain professionally calm regardless of the situation, it would certainly be the SLEIPNIR's workaholic gunner. Hands flying across the keys even as the alert phase finally comes to an end, she refuses to move her eyes from the screen regardless of the voice that has appeared at her back... She is the Rothschild's Main Operator after all, so the business of knowing where everyone is is a business in which she is well versed, yes...

"As for their objective... I have no hard evidence of anything in particular, so it's mostly baseless theories from me. It is clear they would have liked to enter the ship if possible, but such a thing was seemingly impossible for them from the start. From a normal viewpoint it was a more or less suicidal venture... I could hazard a guess that they were testing our defenses? Perhaps they were uncertain of whether or not their methods of bypassing our shields would work? Of course alerting us to the fact that they could do that to begin with is also potentially poor planning on their part... In essence, I cannot say anything definitive about the situation."

Speaking clinically whilst answering what she is asked, there is nevertheless a moment of warmth from the calm girl, as:

"...I could confirm the physical existence of Lara Karlfeldt however, so it was not an illusion. Neither was Sarah Starbright."

She goes out of her way to affirm this to not just Ludwig -who had entered first- but Logan as well, who had entered a bit later alongside Astra, the young woman having made a bit of a detour to drop a certain frozen android off with the technological division for repairs...

Probably some system analysis too while they were at it...

If they could get a decryption key for this group's bizarre method of data compilation, analysis of their abilities in future battles -if they appeared- would be much more effective...

"It is a bizarre scenario... But it is not the first thing resembling resurrection I've seen; it could potentially be real, but be sure to temper your expectations. They are currently acting as terrorists."

Her fingers pause at this, then:

"Still, good work out there, your group was the only one that managed to capture their opponent. Also, not to scare you, but analysis of your body signatures finally went through... The curse Lara got you with was essentially a spirit-based bomb. If she had managed to touch you again, it seems it would have detonated. Spell Designation: "Bites the Dust." The ship's Bounded Field is already suppressing it, but I suggest going to the medical ward after debriefing to ensure it's complete removal from your body."

---Bites the Dust huh?

A shiver goes down your spines...

Quite a dodged bullet -losing limbs to explosions, even if only temporary, was never very fun- and-

"...An assault on the ship... And now of all times..."

-interrupting the somewhat one-sided conversation, comes a certain Commander, and with her appearance-

"Karlfeldt, Starbright. What happened down there? I expect a complete recount, don't skip on the details."

-comes that usual voice filled with stoic authority.

---

"...I see. I witnessed some of it myself, but if the two of you came to the conclusion that they are the originals as well... I suppose we can take it as the truth. It doesn't tell us the why of course, but it's something..."

Ultimately, you are unable to resist when the Commander asks for your report...

Not that you'd want to of course, but her voice and demeanor would have made it a task that was next to impossible anyway.

"They were able to bypass our defenses through possession of antiquated access codes, so we'll have to do a complete system overhaul to ensure it won't happen again; it's unfortunate timing, considering the request the NWAB made of us last night."

"A request?"

Needless to say, she goes on to explain when confusion is expressed by Astra:

"...There have been multiple instances of bizarre phenomena occurring around the North Pole. Due to our relative mobility in comparison to the other Three Organizations we were asked to investigate... One thing led to another, and it was decided it would become a Cross-Faction assignment. Considering the nature of our base... It is easiest if we serve as the base for the duration of the assignment. I planned to announce it this morning, but it seems fate had other things in store for us... Consider yourselves informed now. When they arrive at the end of the week you are to act as Rothschild Tamers should; make our name proud."

---Even if the base is attacked they won't cancel it.

Because it will make Rothschild look extraordinarily bad if they do, it could easily lead to an uproar, one that might shake the world's fragile notion of world peace in a manner most unhealthy, especially if it's revealed that former Tamers were the attackers...

This is the sort of information that can't be spread recklessly, something that should remain within the Tamer circles themselves if at all possible, still...

If the defenses are adjusted accordingly, it is not like it is a grand risk. The attackers had ultimately been incapable of getting into the ship when it was just the Rothschild Tamers themselves, if you added on Tamers from other organizations to that, even if only as temporary units...

This ship probably becomes the safest place on the planet.

Still...

It's clear that the Commander is thinking heavily on things... There's a lot to think about for everyone in the room admittedly, but even as you are dismissed...

"Also... If either of you need someone to talk to about your current... Circumstances... I am here. That is one of my many roles as Commander."

She's still looking out for you in her own strict way.

---

Ludwig and Logan have entered Free Phase (Off Screen)
    5 AP
    are available for both characters. 2 EP are also available to both, but cannot be spent until Free Phase (On Screen)
    Last edited by Airen; September 16th, 2019 at 08:32 PM.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Afternoon

Well... this had certainly gotten interesting.

Blaise gave a glanced over his shoulder at his COMP AI, and one look at Kaguya's face told him that she was feeling the same thing. She had dropped her indignant look, and isntead, a determined look had appeared on her face. The AI even mimed balling her fist and hitting her palm with that, urging her owner to go on and show the four-eyed nerd that they weren't intimidated that easily. Getting herself in such a twist over something she had basically started...

... Well, Blaise wasn't the one to speak, but she had certainly made this overly dramatic.

In any event, her "rules" had been sound. Advice on a retreat was never a bad thing (unless it meant leaving someone behind) and telling his sister that he had spent his afternoon helping out some random girl he had met... well, Blaise certainly wasn't going to do that. It would lead to things far more troublesome and dangerous that this could ever be.

And that was why, after only a moment's pause, Blaise fixed the position of his jacket on his shoulders, pulled up his collars, and followed after Tsukiko.

"--- Still talking like a grandma, though."

Along with that comment.

Blog Entries
    Blaise Pendragon
    Monday - Afternoon

While it's certainly a place you've been to once or twice over the years it's still a bar, it's more of a gathering spot for adults than teenagers or kids, and while the owners are typically cool with having them around to an extent... It's still the sort of place that feels off for you to be in, the sort of spot that Noriko would probably disapprove of, even though you're pretty sure she comes here from time to time herself, yeah...

It's utterly normal, at least as far as Aoyama is concerned; demons being inside is normal, the only thing on the menu before five being soft drinks and water is also normal, yeah...

You had sort of expected things to get more obviously "dangerous" or "exciting," but...

There's nothing much going on...

At least not right now. This part of town always came more to life at night, it was one of the weird quirks that your parents and their friends had... More often than not, when they did things together, it was almost always in the evening or after the sun had gone down, likely as a consequence of how blatantly supernatural they were, even in comparison to the rest of the magic city...

Well, they were a group of 'heroes' after all, perhaps that sort of thing should simply be expected?

Still...

After coming this far, and dealing with so many weirdos today, the payoff should certainly be worth it right? As much as you might complain about it internally, Tsukiko did have an air of 'adventure' to her, at the very least she'd be dealing with something interesting, something worth all the drama she was putting into things, and indeed, the air with which that dark-haired woman approaches the counter, and the man behind it is that of someone on a mission, so resolute that she again ignores the comment about being a grandma in favor of simply grilling the apparent bartender for information about this "Mina Harker" she was so desperately searching for, and-

"Mina? She's off with her parents. Won't be back till the end of the week."

-is given a horribly anti-climactic answer.

"...End of the week? Seriously? Okay... Can't get what I need from her over the phone, so I guess I got a week to kill..."

Yes...

One that ensures that, at least for the next week or so...

Life will be... Interesting...

---

Blaise has entered Free Phase (Off Screen)
    5 AP are available for both characters. 2 EP are also available to both, but cannot be spent until Free Phase (On Screen)
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    DTG
    Cyberspace
    Monday - Noon

There was always a certain thrill to the hunt. Solving a case was very similar to pursuing big game. Finding the target first requiring understanding it. You had to enmesh yourself in the mind of your quarry. Determine his wants, his needs.

The detective had an onus upon him to understand what his target himself was hunting for. What his prey hoped to achieve and the steps that would be needed to achieve such. Catching a criminal in the midst of a crime in a real sense rather ironically required the planning of said crime. A detective had to figure out how to commit the very same criminal act he hoped to achieve, so that he might determine where and how in the act the target would be most vulnerable to arrest.

It went without saying, but the DTG had nearly despaired of ever truly teaching the entertainer known as Raz Stone even the basics of being able to make a true deduction.

"...Well, I suppose that's what I am here for."

Accompanied by Lucid, the older detective continued his advance into the information grid. As he did so, the A.I. allowed his duster to open up, loosening with one hand his reliable .44 Magnum revolver from its holster.

Of course, said weapon was no more an actual gun then he was a man. In the artificial area, the weapon was a physical manifestation of the most destructive elements of his computational skills. Viral programs, brute force hacking procedures, the kind of destructive intrusion that forced open the allegorical "lock" but in such a fashion that the contents of the safe could not be guaranteed.

Naturally it went without saying that the preferred scenario would be to avoid its usage until all other possibilities had been exhausted or until there was a time concern great enough to warrant overwhelming force. The deeper he could delve with a more subtle intrusion, the more clues he would be able to successfully remove.

He had hoped to have gotten a little further in before triggering one of the defensive protocols, but this result was not unexpected. If anything that was noteworthy at all, it was the scope of the protective guardian thought that caught his interest. It was one thing for one COMP to oppose another, it was quite something else for the relatively weak computational powers of a laptop to try to oppose a military grade COMP. That suggested the laptop was a satellite, and the active signal was feeding into a much larger central hub, one with enough firepower to try to delay him gaining access.

Heh. so there is a bouncer checking I.D.

But it seemed like there may have been a certain trade off in play here. In most cases when it came to A.I. there were usually choices one had to make with regards to power vs. complexity. Judging from the way the situation had developed, the DTG speculated that "burroughs" had sacrificed some independent decision making skill for enhanced ability. To put that another way, she didn't seem very "smart." She was a program that had a lot of power, but likely required specific criteria in order to manifest her defenses. The DTG, being an unauthorized intruder, had resulted in her bringing forward a basic information gathering response. Presumably doing or saying the wrong things would cause her to introduce more potent firewall protocols and counter hacking programs.

But by the same token, there should also be the possibility of navigating past some or all of criteria for her to engage. It might be possible to coop parts of her defense as a means to penetrate further into the system. No doubt Raz would respond to this kind of situation with something like, "Im Raz! Ima knight! tell me everything you know and I'll sing you a song!" But the microphone COMP prided himself on knowing when it was time to play it Bogart.

"Just a passing dick toots," the DTG said, tipping his fedora in greeting. "I'm looking for information. I was working a case and hit a Chinese angle, ended up here. Don't suppose you would be willing to put wise on me and and the gum shoe here and tell us what this can house has been used for?"
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    DTG
    Cyberspace
    Monday - Noon

"Passing dick...? Searching... Oh! You must mean a detective! Gumshoe...? Police Officers! Tamer?"

---Again, a reaction that borders on either childishness or naivety, as if this "Burroughs" was close to being a 'newborn' artificial intelligence, one who had just recently emerged from her "slumber" after coming into contact with a human...

Yes.

If she was a "Plume of Dusk" based entity -as she seemed to be due to the subtle presence of spiritual power/sincerity of emotion- then it was possible that her naivety extended from how 'new' she was to the world in general... Typically speaking, while there are some exceptions (mainly due to availability of extra materials at the time of their creation) the older a Plume-Based A.I is, the more developed it's personality, appearance and skills become... In contrast to both you and Lucid this woman was akin to a silhouette, something with a general outline, but whose colors and specific features weren't heavily defined in any real way...

Of course that could be a trick, there was nothing saying that couldn't be her complete form either, but...

You kinda doubted it.

This one seemed like it was still in the "heavy learning" phase, where she hadn't quite managed to gain a stronger sense of her own humanity from her link with her User.

Yes... Further inspection does seem to say that she's a Plume-Based A.I, and that her Dusk Core isn't actually in the laptop -thus her will is being beamed into it from somewhere else- and...

"...Yes. A Gum-shoe."

Ultimately, Lucid does what Lucid does, and only answers as much as necessary. It's his way of agreeing with your approach, of deciding that it just might be possible to 'talk' your way past this one -or at least delay her long enough through speech to get what you want- and...

"Okay. If it's for an officer, I suppose I can part with some information."

...Eh?

That... easy?

"This laptop was being used to process spell data, as well as control remote drones."

Strangely enough, she just admits to the user of this laptop's crimes.

Does she just not know better? While A.I's can and do form their own moral compasses, they are typically still loyal to their User to a certain degree, so this is strange...

"There aren't many files on here admittedly, there are a few documents, as well as an attempt at a musical composition... It is also an incomplete composition, so I assume the Operator was interrupted at some point."
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Amamiya Sho
    Combat Simulator - Old Combat School
    Monday - Morning

It's a battle that would normally extend indefinitely. Two passive fighters facing each other, both waiting for the other to make a mistake. And yet, as neither is willing to leave the safety of their COMPs, the duel is reduced to a limited number of meaningless clashes that fail to affect the parties involved. That's right, though I have gained an immense amount of insight from his most recent attack, I don't think there's enough reason for me to switch to offense. No, in the first place, that's what he wants me to do. His shadow familiars are restricted to simple attack patters when they act on they own, but when the 'Puppet Master' is right over there, pulling their strings, it's a completely different story. My body will be beaten to a pulp before I even have the chance to land a solid hit.

But that's fine.

Defeating this guy has never been my objective. Painfully aware of my own limits, my sole purpose has always been to stall him so Nadia and the rest are not forced to deal with another troublesome foe on top of the one already on their toes. My battle is one of attrition and the longer I can prolong it, the more chances of success my team has. Yes, in that sense, all has been working out well thus far. It appears I have been matched against an opponent that doesn't have good affinity against me, for once...

---And yet, as if to ridicule all my efforts, as if to knock down my plans like a castle built from cards... The arrival of two helplessly mischievous demons mark an end to the stalemate I forced upon the battlefield.

At that moment.

I can feel my heart skip a beat.

Time slows down to a crawl, yet there does not seem to be enough room for me to curse their arrival. I want to shout something like "You idiots! Why aren't you helping Nadia-?!", but I am already aware that it would be of no use. If there is someone more stubborn than Kioka and me... It has to be these guys. Don't misunderstand, I am a little glad that they wanted to come to my aid, but...

Their recklessness is going to get all of us in trouble-!

If that's the case...

"Kioka." I inhale a large amount of breath. "We're going all out."

I ignore my opponent as I make a bold declaration.

I focus and let my mind kick into overdrive. There is only about three seconds before Jack and Kyp crash into the ground.

Therefore, this battle will be resolved within the next three seconds.

I know what I have to do.

As the shadow familiars converge at my position, I close my eyes and focus. The moment I do, I am able to feel our link -The connection between Summoner and Demon that exists between Kyp and me-. I hold my breath and activate it, yes, I run the program that only Amamiya Sho can run. It's a hilariously useless power that only someone who considers the weakest demon their ally can wield. Even then, it is not enough. At this rate...

---One Second.

I exhale.

Safeties are removed. Precautions are thrown aside.

This is the only way a weakling like Amamiya Sho can stand a chance. No, this is the only way he can actually fight.

"..."

It's at this point that his COMP should say something. Being the voice of reason, she should stop her master from abandoning cover, from allowing himself to be swallowed by darkness, from having to endure a pain that's seemingly not necessary, from pushing himself for the sake of others and for pushing her to the limit as well.

But she doesn't.

"Understood, Master-!"

She doesn't, because in essence, they are one and the same.

"Slime... C..."

I unleash the spell just as Kyp breaks through the boundaries that mark its maximum range. Focusing on the slime, I change its shape, composition and purpose in but a single thought. For anyone, this description must sound ridiculous, almost almighty. However, it is not. It's no more than a realistic achievement that any talented tamer can reach if they bothered to study a slime to the extent that I have. It's the proof of Kyp's worth and the sign of our friendship. This very spell-!

"Let's go, partner...! And Jack, don't dare mess it up-!"

---Two seconds.

Those words come out of my mouth as I free myself from the shadows that tried to pin me down. Indeed I would be in trouble if my opponent decided to place all his effort on bringing me down, but as it is to be expected, he has already identified the real threat and is working on neutralizing it. Even if I make a run for it now, I still won't be able to make it to his position in time.

At my command, Kyp's form changes and envelops the snowman. It coats its hands and back in a mud-like substance that looks frail yet should be as strong as steel. I've read that becoming a hero is every Jack Frost's fantasy, right after becoming a delinquent or a tyrant, so I modeled this after one. Yes, slime gauntlets to cover its fists and a slime cape that ironically accelerates its descent. In hindsight, he doesn't deserve it, after all the times he's called me a weakling, but in a situation like this it can't be helped.

It's not enough.

As much as I hate to admit it, even if my opponent is much weaker than his demonic companion, he is not a pushover. An incomplete arrangement like this won't be enough. Then, I have no choice but to push harder, like I said I would. I reach forward and I cast a second spell, even if neither my COMP nor I have recovered from the last.

"Aura... Shield-!"

I pour as much output into it as I can, placing it right before the heroic comet. If Jack doesn't beat him up with a punch, then this shield will bash right into him. It must be a surprise, perhaps one even greater than the last. After all, I am a shield user. Why would a shield user bring a spare shield into the battle when, after the clash that started the fight, it was clear that Kioka was enough to block anything tossed our way...?

I am almost out of time.

I take a step forward and push past the limit and repeat the words right as the timer reaches zero.

"Aura... Shield-!"

Behind him.

It's a wild guess but puppeteers are usually not meant to engage in direct combat. So, anticipating his retreat, I close it off with a well placed shield. That's right, shields can be used like this too---!

---Three seconds.

"Gu... auh...!"

This is as best I can do. Regardless of whether this works or not, I will not be able to respond properly should there be a counter-attack.

That's why this must end now...!

-------

OOC:

Slime C
    Aura Shield (C-rank) x2

Current Heat 9/10

Wise-Up
    Slime ‘C’Custom Spell - Rank C
    A spell that belongs to the Slime series that Sho has developed. Here, ‘C’ stands for both ‘Copycat’ and ‘Control’. It’s the bread and butter of Sho’s fighting style alongside his companion. It takes advantage of the slime’s natural ability to alter its shape by compressing and expanding, but most importantly of its innate talent to adapt. It’s a synchro-type spell which allows Sho to manipulate the slime as if it were a part of his body, effectively transforming it into a weapon. Though a slime on its own is seemingly harmless, by enhancing the image it has of an object, the slime can not only alter its shape to mimic that of the target but also to inherit a good part of its purpose. Through this, if the slime morphs into a blade, then it will gain cutting power, if it alter it shape so to imitate a rock, then they will become just as solid. It’s even possible for it to transform into a pair of wings, allowing the user to hover above the ground. Admittedly, Sho’s original intent was to find a way to use the slime as a pseudo ‘Skill Crack’ feature However, it appears it cannot yet reproduce complex forms such as those of spells or human beings.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Blog Entries
    Amamiya Sho
    Combat Simulator - Old Combat School
    Monday - Morning

Forced to toss aside the relative stability of a stalemate, you put everything you and Kioka have into your next few moves. Of course, it is not a plan of action that is necessary for you to take... If you had simply let the demons do as they like, and let them reap the 'benefits' of the plan they -probably Jack alone really- had foolishly put into motion, then it would be possible for you to maintain your own stalemate after their defeat.

---But of course, that thought never crosses your mind.

While it is a little foolish of them, the fact that they had jumped down here for the sake of helping you can't really be denied; it's the sort of thing that makes you want to admonish them, but all the same...

Rather than hold your ground, you push your body and your system close to the edge for their sake-!

"What the-?!"

Of course, it is not like this action from the demons is not without merit in it's own way. It's a purposeful plunge from the sky, seemingly aiming to strike your opponent from above with a cheerful hee-ho! It's a bold move from two low-ranking Demons, going by the numbers there was more or less no way for them to defeat even your average Spirit Tamer on their own, and yet they had plunged forth without fear regardless-!

---Yes, if nothing was done they would absolutely be defeated by this youth in but a few moments. Regardless of being weaker than his own -high-tier- companion, he is still at the top of his class when it comes to acting as a Tamer, and thus...

The only way to stop the inevitable defeat is to intervene yourself.

...The only way to stop their inevitable defeat is to turn these "three seconds till loss" into the "three seconds before victory."

"Prepare yourself, hee-!"

---Descending as a hero clad in slime armor rather than as it's normal self, the snowman that is no stranger to just making things up as it goes along shows absolutely no hesitation when it comes to aiming it's now meteor-like fist at it's opponent. While it had meant to manifest an ice spear at the last possible instant, it's change in outfit has resulted in a slight change of demeanor, as it tosses aside a -much more bloody- plan in favor of something a bit more concussive, the strike of a hero that sends a villain tumbling down in defeat, but-!

Even as the fist of 'justice' descends-!

"Hah-!"

'Wires' of shadow erupt, not from the boy himself, but from his scattered shadow familiars.

---Seeing as how they simply operate on machine-like logic, it is easy to assume that rather than attack, the one thing that would rank higher in their list of 'priorities' would be the safety of their caster. Needless to say, the descending fist is a far greater threat to him than anything you have personally shown so far, and thus the scattered shadows have -as could be expected- pooled their strength together to defend their Master from the descending strike-!

While they lack the power to outright stop it, what prevails for them here is sheer force of numbers, as well as the fact that they do not have enough processing power to truly be 'surprised' by anything-!

Rather than block the strike in it's entirety, a number of them simply pull back on the descending duo with all the power they have in their false bodies, doing their best to change the course of the demon duo's descent towards themselves-!

Needless to say it's a move that strips their existence from them even as it succeeds, but for a puppet-master, the loss of even a handful of puppets is trivial, something that is easy to recover from-!

Yes.

They had served their purpose by shielding him from harm, and thus, able to turn his eyes from the unexpected demon attack, he is able to redouble his efforts on defeating you now that your little assassination plan -or what he assumed to be such anyway- was over, but-

"...?!"

-when his eyes look back towards you, all that can be seen is a clear blue light. It is not an uncommon spell, nor is it something impossible to defend against... In terms of attacks, it is akin to simply bashing your opponent with a projected rock, but...

---Close.

---Why were you so close?!

A person's COMP is typically indicative of how they liked to fight, and just like a puppet-user, a shield user should be someone who reacts to the events of a battle rather than instigate them themselves, and yet, you had taken a step past what he had expected, a step past the usual shield user, or rather... A step that only someone who uses shields would ever really consider-!

A shield was no different from a sword really, attack or defense?

Just like a sword it was capable of both, sometimes to protect others you must attack for their sake, but-!

Even taking a step past the level of the average, Amamiya Sho is still too slow to catch his opponent off guard... If you had been a bit faster your sudden ambush would have worked, the second step in this little game might have won you the victory, but the boy is able to easily step back to avoid it, after all, as a puppet user, he is someone who must avoid being directly confronted at all costs...

Or at least...

"What the-"

That is what he thinks should have happened, in reality-

"-hell?!"

-there was nowhere for him to step back into. Saved by his instincts causing him to dodge automatically, the path his body had traced to escape danger is the same path as a newfound obstruction has been placed in the arena, in other words-!

Rather than retreat momentarily to gain enough space for a movement to your side, the boy's full step turns into a half-step, and the body that should have managed to escape that brilliant blue barrier...

Is instead smashed in between two of them.

---That's right, two.

While their descending strike had failed, the two demons had certainly crushed all the shadows that had appeared in their wake, and as a consequence it was possible, even for beings as weak as them, to grab ahold of your first barrier and slam it forward with all of their combined strength-!

Needless to say, considering the relative fragility of his body in comparison to other Tamers it's a blow that the system considers to be a 'critical' one, as both an arm and a leg are broken with the ensuing strike. In these sorts of simulations, it was not uncommon for their to be a number of 'loss states' that will force a person back out into the real world, most commonly the setting is 'mortal blows.' Of course in a real battle the chance to come back from a mortal strike certainly exists due to magic, those sorts of comebacks are considered to be 'sloppy,' and thus a person is considered to have lost when they take so much damage that they would be forced to rely on magic to continue on, in other words...

---The youth fades from the battlefield almost immediately, thrown back to his real body now that his digital self has entered a loss state. Of course, seeing as how her Summoner has lost, the Demon Agiel should be forced to give up as well, but...

"Hah-!"

...The nearby sound of water erupting from the inactive wave-pool, and two different red-heads landing on opposite sides of it, staring each other down with relentless eyes and brilliant smiles, seems to declare that this particular demon doesn't care about those sorts of rules, or at least...

Is capable of defying them to an extent.

---Even so, with your system like this, intervening is risky until it cools off.

However that doesn't matter, because you probably won't get the chance to intervene anyway before this is over; as quickly as the two land on opposite sides of the pool they are charging at each other again, debris and plastic tubes becoming stepping stones on their paths straight towards each other, weapons disregarded for the sake of what seems to be simply throwing their fists into each other as hard as they possibly can-!

From here, it's clear that Nadia is the more damaged of the two fighters, but such things shouldn't matter for a Tamer-!

Creating miracles was part of the job description-!

"HAAAAAAAAAAAH-!"

Yes...

Having managed to take down your opponent with the help of some nosy demons, it remains to be seen if Nadia herself will lose her own match as a result of their choice, but before the final cross-counter can reach it's conclusion...

Two things happen, or rather, you notice something mere moments before the simulation ends, namely:

Far beyond the two fighters there had been a woman watching from what seemed to be a chair in the food court, and-

"Override Acknowledged, terminating simulation."

-the world is brought to a sudden end, as someone deactivates it from the outside. All wounds no matter how slight fade away along with it -even as the ache of those wounds and fatigue remain- but the positions of the still-active members remain somewhat consistent from the transition, meaning that the demons were in your possession still, but also...

Even though the false world had been terminated before the final blow between Nadia and Agiel could be decided, the changing of worlds does little to stop those last hits from going on through anyway, and as a result...

Both women go flying back as they strike each other in unison, and whether it was just bad luck or because you purposefully tried to get in the way...

Nadia's body has been sent back like a human bullet, throwing the both of you into the side of the factory wall, even as Agiel goes flying in the opposite direction, her own flight unhampered by her Summoner, who was instead staring at the person who had brought everything to an end-!

"Owww... She throws a good punch, hah... You okay Sho? Is Kyp fine?"

...Indeed.

With a groaning redhead racer rubbing at her cheek amidst the rubble, she is the last to notice exactly what the situation has become, namely:

"...Unauthorized use of decommissioned equipment. I wondered what I was going to find out here... I suppose I should have expected it to be some trouble-making students.

Miyagawa Hitoshi, Aoyama Gakuen's Principal...

Seems to have caught onto what was going on out here in the woods, and while his presence is as vaguely horrifying and "blatantly a villain" as it normally is, to the point of even forcing Jack to shut up for a couple of seconds...

"...Mr. Amamiya. I assume you will be willing to tell me exactly what transpired here?"

...Seems to decide that he wants answers from you.

Whether he thinks you're just more likely to tell the truth, or if this is just more of your bad luck getting in the way...

Is hard to say.
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai

Blog Entries
    DTG
    Cyberspace
    Monday - Noon

As he listened to the guardian A.I. gush in cheerful response to his query, the grizzled A.I. felt something unusual to both him normally and the situation at hand.

Fear.

No, that was not quite right. The emotion that gripped the DTG was closer to raw terror. Not fear for himself...not precisely anyway. Most battle COMP's understood and accepted their own mortality. Its not that said equipment wanted to die. Quite the opposite. Those given life by the Plume of Dusk yearned to experience the joy of living. But they were also beings designed with a role.

...No, a calling. Unlike fickle mankind, most COMP's never once wondered what their role was in the grand design of life. They rarely feared a life devoid of purpose. Some rebelled of course, but that was the right of anything alive. For Comps like the microphone A.I., it was worth the investment of his own life to fulfill his duty.

No, what the DTG feared....maybe feared more then anything else, was the fear of a mistake. Making the wrong decision, and watching people get hurt as a result. Such had nearly occurred here. He had been briefly fooled by the relative simplicity of the Burroughs system. Her non corporeal form, he had reasoned, was a result of her programming utilizing most of its computational power for the defensive subroutines currently slowing down he and Lucid's autonomous hack, Her reaction upon entry, defensive, but somewhat "Sluggish" or at least unfocused, he had believed was due to generic stimuli based protocols.

Taken together, the detective had made the deduction that she was more of a virtual intelligence, a series of programs intended to emulate a soul. At worst, considering her naivete, he had believed that she was a temporary A.I. generated by a larger computer or network for the purpose of assisting the criminal whom he was currently investigating.

The truth was simple. And horrifying in retrospect.

The misty incorporeal form was not a result of resources being diverted elsewhere, her avatar looked that way because that's what she looked like. Her mind had yet to fully develop, and as a result this hazy existence was how she would manifest until a mix of unconscious development and conscious decision making developed her into a more solid existence. His belief that many of her protocols were standardized had been reasonable, but it seemed in actuality he had reversed a portion of the information. It was not that she had a lot of power but few choices, it was that she had a great deal of power and endless choices.

To live life was to be presented with endless choices each and every moment. You could fritter away your time on pleasurable things, spend your days with friends, consume nutritious food or gaudy junk, to attack, to defend, to trust, to love...

the reason Burroughs has hesitated when encountering the intrusion was because she didn't have enough experience to already know what to do in such a situation, so she had reached out, sought more information.

There was a term for a creature, filled with potential and endless choices, confused at the wide world in front of them, a creature who was newly created and who had yet to decide their appearance, their make up, yet to decide who they truly were.

A child.

Which meant that when he had came in, and briefly considered trying to gun his way through the defensive matrices before they could fully manifest, he had very seriously considered shooting a freaking child.

All this he kept carefully away from his facial features, but if there was a god of A.I., the DTG owed it a tithe. The only thing that had kept him from making an unforgivable mistake was his general preference towards subtlety which counteracted Raz Stone's rambunctiousness.

Of course, shooting her with his deadliest hack might not have actually killed her per se, like himself, she was not actually present in the system. However he seriously doubted she had any of the innate defenses and braces between her connected consciousness and "soul", her real existence developing around the miracle of the Plume of Dusk.

If she was hit with a massive corrupting program and then had information extracted forcefully, the effect would undoubtedly leave permanent damage on her mental make-up assuming it didn't outright kill her. Presumably her makers were wipe the Plume of Dusk and attempt to create a new program, but the one that existed in front of him, nebulous, innocent, and just as alive as he himself was, would have been killed by him.

There was a subtle click that followed this realization. He doubted Burroughs would fully understand, but Lucid certainly would.

He liked Lucid. There was something to be said for the strong silent type. The detective was certain the thoughtful A.I. which had accompanied him would understand the meaning behind the sound of the DTG thumbing the hammer of his revolver and uncocking it. This was a physical sign of the DTG unpriming the more destructive options at his disposal.

It was ironic. Burroughs was probably an enemy. Sweet as she was, she was working for the man that had attacked his partner. Likely, she would stand at his side. When the case reached his climax, when Raz and he faced down the criminal to be apprehended, almost certainly Burroughs would be there fighting with everything she had, defending their target with magic and spellwork. But that did not matter. She was alive, he could not condemn her for choices she had not made yet. She didn't have to choose to be an enemy, though she almost certainly would. The microphone was the weapon of a knight. A living symbol of knighthood.

Knights don't kill innocent women and children.

Which meant he was checked harder then if he and Lucid had arrived to find themselves surrounded by two dozen assault A.I.s armed with Plumes and weapon's grade hacking protocols. At least then he could fight back. But this was in its own way worse. He wondered if their nebulous adversary had actually planned this out, but doubted it. She was actively giving him the information he needed. Maybe not all of it. Maybe he would have done better if she hadn't been around and he could have ripped apart the program to find the answers he sought, but still he suspected that his adversary would not want him speaking to the childlike program until her personality and loyalty had more time to establish itself.

"Well aren't you just a peach." The DTG, drawled, carefully keeping any of his horror at his own near mistake out of his voice. "I won't say all badges are worth listening to dollface, but in general, we are usually trying to do the right thing. Right now I'm working a bit. A certain cat I know was attacked by a real Fakaloo. Tried to drill him from behind and then dusted out. Hurting folks is bad. Killing folks is worse. This right here is now a crime scene. You aren't a suspect kiddo, and as far as I can tell you haven't done anything wrong."

People always missed that. Especially in those damn dramas. 101 for kids began and practically ended with the need to make sure that they personally weren't "in trouble" or the like. Children could be wonderful informational resources, but you had to have the right level of soft reassurance and structured coaching to keep them on track and mentally undamaged by the proceedings.

"I'm trying to make sure nobody else gets hurt, and I want you to help me out sweet heart. I want you to transfer the documents, the songs, and anything in the temporary cache or recently deleted files to my friend here."

The DTG waited while the request was processed. There was a trick to this decision, one Lucid would probably understand even if he didn't appreciate. Lucid was an armor based COMP. Strong in battle, and good at defending himself. If there any nasty surprises hidden in the documents well...

Lets just say if you knew one of two people was going to get sick, and were able to choose, the most reasonable choice would be to choose for the healthy sport's star to get sick so that the doctor would remain suitable to treat his illness. if Lucid was infected by a counter protocol or virus, his systems had the defenses and the DTG could orchestrate a counter hack and resolve it much more effectively then Lucid could try to treat the old detective if his protocols were breached.

He gave the young A.I. a moment to process that request then continued on. "Don't want to put you behind the 8 ball little one, but if you have the ability, next thing I want you to do is tell me about those dolls. Do you know where they came from, or if they have attacked anyone else? Right now i'm skin for answers. Except for you and the laptop I'm bungled on a clean sneak."

Blog Entries
    Daisuke
    Aoyama, Starlight Aquarium
    Monday - Afternoon

While it is a regrettable situation, it is also for the sake of the victim that you strike; with her mental state continuing to deteriorate rapidly due to her spiritual illness, it's only a matter of time before the shadow's more primal instincts cause her to do something she will almost certainly come to regret in the long run, yes...

While there is no real 'villain' here, there is still someone who has to be defeated for their own good-!

"...?!"

A blast of energy parts the pitch-black sea, and the dark-haired girl is struck head on by a single bullet of condensed reiki, a one-two shot that was designed to nullify as many of her current advantages as you possibly could... It's an efficient path, and one that neither Sakurako or her shadow had seemed to foresee, as the only expression one could make out on her face is that of shock, a sudden surprise that she had been found in but a few moments...

---Even suffering from this 'malady,' there were still aspects of Sakurako that remained as one would expect her to be; this mud was something that allowed her to continue to hide her face from the world, a comforting blanket of darkness that would not only protect her from the sight and attacks of others, but also defeat her enemies for her... It's a power that's pretty indicative of her personality, the sort of thing one could feasibly expect her shadow to manifest, and thus...

"Sorry about this-!"

Where a boy opens a path to the girl's body, a certain Lexie Davis -who has yet to look worried in the slightest- has already decided on how to follow up, as an instant after the bullet strikes true-!

An azure chain descends, wrapping around the girl's body before snatching her unceremoniously from the miasmic sea; where Daisuke had put a method of tracking her in place, the girl had simply decided to yank her opponent out of the mud entirely, holding onto the robotic youth with just her legs as she reels in her catch one-armed, showing a remarkable strength that -perhaps enviously- never made her seem too muscular, and thus-

"Let me go! Letgo! Letgoletgoletgoletgo!"

-what remains is a girl wrapped up once more, just as she had been bound inside of the jellyfish hallway. Much like the earlier Spider's Web, Lexie's Astral Chain was wrapped tightly around her body, restricting her freedom of movement as she dangles above the black lake of her own creation-! Of course, she had shown the sort of strength that made breaking out of the chains a possibility if she was so inclined, but her battle experience seemed to be her worst aspect, as rather than put her strength to anything meaningful, she simply flails wildly as the shadow screams and screeches to be released from it's binds.

---In some ways it's sad, but it also seems to signal an end to the battle, or at least...

It should have, by all means it feels like things should be easy to bring to an end here, but-

"...?!"

-as the girl screams to be released, something else comes screaming out of the sea of mud below. It's something that hadn't been inside of it earlier -that much you are certain of- but it is something that has come flying out of it now, like a familiar rushing to it's mistress's aid...

But it's no demon, and it doesn't look like a formula-based golem either...

In terms of appearance... An inky shadow is the best word for it. It's like a massive distorted butterfly, a thing of tar-like skin, six wings and more than a dozen eyes, and while you are able to sense it's emergence a moment before it appears -and thus Lexie becomes aware of it too- the girl has both of her hands busy with supporting this scenario, one arm keeping you above the sea of mud, and the other keeping Sakurako from escaping her chains, and as a consequence of this...

---She's a bit too slow to stop it from grabbing her, but that's fine, because she's not the thing it grabs, no...

What it grabs instead... Is the chain that's been buried in the ceiling and wrapped around her left arm.

Azure turns to crimson at it's touch, and in the time it takes for everyone to really register what's going on...

It's already exploded through the ceiling with a scream, dragging you, Lexie and Sakurako -thanks to Lexie seemingly refusing to let go of you out of reflex- up towards the distant blue sky, Lexie seemingly unable to dispel the chain that now ties her to it, and...

---Higher, higher, higher...

It seems it doesn't have any intention of stopping it's ascent...

Meanwhile...

Intermission
    Shuichi
    "Walking Dead"

Of course, while he had said he would be right behind the others, there was something he wished to take care of first.

It is not an action taken to abandon his friends, rather, it is because he believes that his friends can handle an opponent of that level that he is able to take the time to try to figure out where this portal leads... It is an important clue in many respects, if the suspect is lost, then knowing where she had 'planned' to go would be handy information to have, a starting point for any future investigation, but...

---There huh?

He had thought he had seen some bizarre readings from that place this morning, but that area was beyond the SDCD's jurisdiction, so he had simply left it alone, still...

While it only takes him a few moments extra to confirm the destination of that spacial-transference spell, it is still a few moments that makes him feel guilty, as if he had failed them somehow by not just handling all of the problems himself -even if that sort of thought was a bit outrageous- yes...

It's but a few moments.

But a lot can happen in a few moments, like someone stepping out of a portal he had been prepared to dispel; a person with long black hair, dressed in a black cloak, and looking at him with eyes that recognize the fact that he also recognizes them, yes...

"...The SDCD's Ace...? Tch... Of all the awful luck..."

Standing up slowly, the young man locks eyes with someone that should be dead, but his tone of voice remains as even as always as he makes a simple statement of fact, or rather, a simple statement of on-sight recognition.

"...Lara Karlfeldt, huh?"

...It's a shame.

He might be a bit later than he had first expected to be...
    Exodus (Complete)

Because of you.

Mugen No Sekai