Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was your favourite real life hero integrated into Fate?

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    She was a lost cause from the moment her art was finalized so it's a blessing her interlude focused on her strong point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Boudica had a fine little scene with Nero during Salomon but it was only one scene and long after Septem had already soured opinions on her.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Fate shit the bed with Boudica. Same with Scheherazade, though at least she's gotten a bit better recently.
    Oh, I was so pissed when I saw what Shezzy became in FGO.

Odysseus was always my favourite Greek hero. I love heroes who get by by tricking everyone rather than just hitting people hard because Zeus slept with their mom.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    I'm not inclined towards hero worship or having role models, so it's not a highly relatable topic to me.
    Same.

That said, I always kinda liked King Arthur, albeit mostly due to The Sword in the Stone and endless screenings of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
    O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin.

tbh, if Aladdin were introduced into Fate, I'd probably have sth more to say myself. But he isn't, and probably won't ever be because Scheherazade. Along with Sinbad too.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Same with Scheherazade, though at least she's gotten a bit better recently.
    I took a comparative lit course in fairy tales a long time ago.
    We read some of the Arabian Nights and Rowe's, To Spin a Yarn: The female voice in folklore and fairy tale and her analysis of Scheharazade has always been what I've naively expected TM to do.
    Alas.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    No, my grandfather still isn't in Fate.

- - - Updated - - -

But Jeanne is, and I love Jeanne.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    @You: Did you also study from Marina Warner?

Jeanne is ... well, there was always a genuine purity around her persona so they mostly got that right.

Personality wise, more a mix of that and sassy wit. She was no one's fool.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Stephen Colbert isn't in Fate either. Still not dead, though I would be sad if he did die...
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Frankly, Arjuna disappoints me, he just feels so underwhelming...

- - - Updated - - -

Karna was great though. Probably because he had a proper debut which is not in some sub-par FGO chapter.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 34 View Post
    Frankly, Arjuna disappoints me, he just feels so underwhelming...

- - - Updated - - -

Karna was great though. Probably because he had a proper debut which is not in some sub-par FGO chapter.
    CCC and then F/Ap. Karna fans are almost spoiled for choice.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

I agree. Pashupata should equal or exceed Excalibur in rank, though I do like the Fake Ultimate Hero angle they went with Arjuna. Everyone praised him and feted him, giving him all the gifts he needed to be great and pushing aside the competition, but underneath, there is a dark side ignored by the world, a shocking level of pettiness and dishonor that even he knows makes him imperfect.

Sorry if this sounded like a mess.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I agree. Pashupata should equal or exceed Excalibur in rank, though I do like the Fake Ultimate Hero angle they went with Arjuna. Everyone praised him and feted him, giving him all the gifts he needed to be great and pushing aside the competition, but underneath, there is a dark side ignored by the world, a shocking level of pettiness and dishonor that even he knows makes him imperfect.

Sorry if this sounded like a mess.
    While I can respect them for being original and gave a twist to Arjuna's Perfect Hero character; I think they fail miserably at executing it properly and it ended up butchering his whole character.

- - - Updated - - -

he's just a meme "annoying chuuni" now

While I can respect them for being original and gave a twist to Arjuna's Perfect Hero character; I think they fail miserably at executing it properly and it ended up butchering his whole character.
    I didn't think of it as a TM original twist so much as people acknowledging Arjuna's very obvious negative traits that Vyasa/the narrator of the original chooses to gloss over or doesn't quite care about. It does make sense in a way, considering what the perfect kshatriya was supposed to be, and how only one born a kshatriya could be it.

Blog Entries
    I didn't think of it as a TM original twist so much as people acknowledging Arjuna's very obvious negative traits that Vyasa/the narrator of the original chooses to gloss over or doesn't quite care about. It does make sense in a way, considering what the perfect kshatriya was supposed to be, and how only one born a kshatriya could be it.
    Fair point, I guess. But still, it's a bit too overemphasized, should've been more subtle and that his genuinely better personality should be more showing; after all, shouldn't a Servant (Especially Knight class, as said in FSF) represent the more positive and noble traits of their legend?

I guess I had my biases about Arjuna, especially since Javanese Mahabharata tales had quite significant differences compared to the original Indian one.

As an Indian, I mostly have been exposed to the original, and although I haven't read it through (a translated version, of course) in 10 years, as I've grown up, I've realized that most of Arjuna's good traits felt super informed to me, and his flaws stick out far more, especially his determination to be the best archer and the actions Drona took to make that happen. He was rather unimpressive, IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also heard in the Javanese version that Ghatotkacha plays a far bigger role and that Draupadi is only married to Yudisthra?

Blog Entries
    his flaws stick out far more, especially his determination to be the best archer and the actions Drona took to make that happen.
    How is that a flaw? It was just that he was so good at archery and works so hard, that his teacher was so impressed, he promised that Arjuna would be the greatest archer. You're probably confusing Arjuna with Ashwatthama.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also heard in the Javanese version that Ghatotkacha plays a far bigger role and that Draupadi is only married to Yudisthra?
    Yes

- - - Updated - - -

though, for the latter, it's probably because the islamic influence javanese revisioned the tale as to make it more halal
    Last edited by 34; April 22nd, 2019 at 02:17 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Nope dunno who that is lol.
    We just read Maria Tatar's book for the class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Nope dunno who that is lol.
    We just read Maria Tatar's book for the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

How is that a flaw? It was just that he was so good at archery and works so hard, that his teacher was so impressed, he promised that Arjuna would be the greatest archer. You're probably confusing Arjuna with Ashwatthama.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes

- - - Updated - - -

though, for the latter, it's probably because the islamic influence javanese revisioned the tale as to make it more halal
    I'm referring specifically to how Drona outright sabotaged those who might rival Arjuna, such as Ekalavya and Karna. He had the former cut off his thumb and refused to teach the latter, and it was because he promised Arjuna the latter would be the best. Also, Arjuna did throw a hissy fit when Karna was equalling him in their first contest.

Gorgeous~! Happy~! Elegant~! Bobin's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    254676078/BOB
    TM Arjuna is just a poor dude stressing himself too much over impossible standards
    BL Character Defining Lines
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    It's hard having so much online charisma.
    Quote Originally Posted by GayBeamu View Post
    I am an immortal bisexual rainbow motherfucker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janx View Post
    Despite common belief, I am not actually that big on tentacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    Anal isnt the only thing you can do without a vagina, Strife-chan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    I am the greatest and most successful democratic reformer BL has ever seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fel View Post
    Manly men doing manly and GAR stuff always gives me such a raging MANBONER.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delzor View Post
    I threw away 10k friend points yesterday on summons for the hell of it and woke up this morning with more than I threw away. The fight to 0 fp is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by successor of the Matou family
    "Too slutty"
    "You're too slutty"