Blog Entries
    But then what about 祝福
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    moonruners

how would you differentiate between 加護 (like the ones on the pharaohs) and 護り (like the one on Eresh)
    i know the former is protection from higher lifeform like gods and buddhas and what not, while the latter is just protection, but in translation whats best way to put them and differentiate between the two? Calling it Divine Protection and Protection respectively feels somewhat inaccurate for some reason.
    まもり [3] 【守り・護▽り】
    ①守ること。防備。 「 -を固める」
    ②神の加護。また,守り神。

does anyone one really know anything

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does that mean differentiating the two in english is unnecessary to begin with
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post

does anyone one really know anything
    Why isn't this in your sig yet
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

Going over Goetia's Nega-Summon skill it says it can cancel all Noble Phantasms that symbols of a Heroic Spirit and then lists four in brackets (無効・無敵・吸収・削減). I tried translating them myself but I was wondering if anyone has a more accurate translation for the four listed.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    mukou is nullified, the same kanji used for God hand's nullification or magic resistance
    meteki is invincibility, its most commonly used in GO gameplay skills
    kyushuu is absorption,
    sakugen, is reduction or curtailment, I believe that's been used to describe the effect of K&K
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Thanks for the help, I've been following the Fate/Grand Order Mats thread for any new info translated from the recent FGO material release (especially for Solomon and Goetia), but nothing has come out after the Feb. 20th. I'm also an amateur compared to castor212, Clyton, and others on that thread so I've probably gotten something wrong in my own translations.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    the only people here who aren't amateurs are mew, mcjon, and maybe arashi does a little translating for aniplex sometimes so it's okay
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    rip otherside and edreamer

Unless by Amateur you mean unpaid
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yup

There are definitely shitty pros too

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    the only people here who aren't amateurs are mew, mcjon, and maybe arashi does a little translating for aniplex sometimes so it's okay
    please do not forget my friend arai who is living the karoshiman life as a translator

I tried my hand at translating Avicebron's Tranquil Fig or Fig Tree of Tranquility skill from his FGO Wiki article (that hasn't been translated yet). Any feedback is appreciated:

Tranquil Fig/Fig Tree of Tranquility (Original JP)
    伝説によると彼の詩才を嫉んだある男によって 殺され、イチジクの樹の根元に埋められたとされる。イチジクがあまりに甘美な実をつけるのを 不思議に思った人間たちが掘り返し、
    男の罪が露見したと伝えられている。

Tranquil Fig/Fig Tree of Tranquility (My Translation)
    According to legend he was killed by a man who was jealous of his poetry and was buried at the root of a fig tree. The people who wondered at the time why the fig tree's fruit was excessively sweet dug it up and legend says that the man's crime was exposed.

Tranquil Fig/Fig Tree of Tranquility (Second Translation with Help from Rafflesiac)
    According to legend he was killed by a man who was jealous of his poetry and was buried at the root of a fig tree. Legend holds that the man's crime was exposed when people, curious as to the cause of the sweetness of the figs, unearthed it.
    Last edited by John Dee; April 29th, 2018 at 07:22 PM.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    The second sentence reads very weirdly to me but it's more of an editing issue. Seems like you understood it, though "excessively" is probably a bit... excessive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Yup

There are definitely shitty pros too
    all "pro" really means is that you're on a deadline

Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    The second sentence reads very weirdly to me but it's more of an editing issue. Seems like you understood it, though "excessively" is probably a bit... excessive.
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought the second sentence sounded okay at the time but looking at it know it does sound a bit weird. Maybe it should have been "People began to wonder at the time why the fig tree's fruit was so sweet dug it up and legend says that the man's crime was exposed." If you have a better way of wording the sentence for this or any future translations of mine don't be afraid to suggest it.

I'm also planning on doing Chiron's FGO skill "永生の奉献" which to me is either "Dedication of Immortality" or "Dedication of Eternal Life".

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    "Legend holds that the man's crime was exposed when people, curious as to the cause of the sweetness of the figs, unearthed it." is what I would think but calling me a TLer would be a disservice to TLers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    "Legend holds that the man's crime was exposed when people, curious as to the cause of the sweetness of the figs, unearthed it." is what I would think but calling me a TLer would be a disservice to TLers.
    That sounds a lot better. I think I'll update it making sure you get credit as well. Also don't sell yourself to short (granted I also do that to myself as well) your pretty good at crafting the sentence better than I originally did.
    Last edited by John Dee; April 29th, 2018 at 07:19 PM.

My translation of Chiron's "Immortal Dedication"

Immortal Dedication (Original JP)
    不死性を差し出すことによって、射手座へと昇華した逸話がスキル化したもの。星に昇華されたことで、彼は天 の蠍から人々を守る存在となった。

Immortal Dedication (My Translation)
    By submission of immortality, the anecdotes sublimated to Sagittarius have become a skill. By being sublimated to the stars, he became an entity to protect people from the heavenly scorpion.

Immortal Dedication (My Translation, Alternate)
    The anecdotes sublimated to Sagittarius have become a skill by submission of immortality. By being sublimated to the stars, he has become an entity that protects people from the heavenly scorpion.

I don't know if "sublimated" might be the right word used in these translations, but it's the only one I got when I ran it through other translation sites.
    Last edited by John Dee; April 30th, 2018 at 01:58 PM.

Presia messe noce yor tes mea TwilightsCall's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't use Dedication in the skill name because it can give the impression of 'his dedication is immortal' rather than the accurate representation of 'offering up his immortality.' It strays from the kanji a bit, but I might go with something like Relinquished or Surrendered Immortality? I don't know, something like that.

I would probably do something like:

"The anecdote of Chiron giving up his immortality and ascending to the place of Sagittarius has become a skill. Having sublimated into a celestial figure, he became the one who protects mankind from the heavenly scorpion."

The only thing I disagree with your translation on a...translation level is the first part. The thing being 昇華した isn't the 逸話, it's the omitted subject (Chiron). Beyond that, I would avoid using the word 'submission' because it's pretty vague as to what that means in this context, especially if you don't know Chiron's story. I think it's better to be more specific. I threw in Chiron's name because English likes to have subjects even if Japanese doesn't, so it feels a lot more natural like that to me. I don't like using the word sublimated twice (feels ugly to me), so I swapped one of them for something else (the kanji here are "to rise up" and "splendor," so I think ascend is appropriate). And then the rest of the changes are just poetic license.

My two cents.
    My Fanfiction - Almost entirely short stories and oneshots

I was used "Immortal Dedication" because it was one of the names used on two separate wikis for FGO (the other calling it "Consecration of Eternal Life").

But yeah I should try to craft a better sentence, it's becoming apparent to me that I'm to rigid and often I follow what I get when I run the original language through different translation sites. Out of all of them I tend to go with the one I get from Google (among the others) since it sounds better, if still a bit odd. Your's does sound better.

- - - Update - - -

It appears someone else also translated Avicebron's Tranquil Fig skill on the Type-Moon wiki

Tranquil Fig (Type-Moon Wiki)
    According to legend, he was killed a certain man who was jealous of his poetry and buried at the root of a fig tree. It has been told that humans finding the fruit to be strangely excessively sweet, dug up the fig and sins of the man were exposed.
    Last edited by John Dee; May 6th, 2018 at 07:47 PM.