Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 192427282930313439 ... LastLast

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory (HP/FSN CYOA)

Blog Entries
    [x] Ask if she can try to limit the amount of stress on the girl - maybe reassure her however she can - as we will need to enter her mind afterwards. The more stable Rin is, the higher the odds of success.

Still not sure what could work best here, so I'll go with something not too demanding and that could help. If it fails, well at least it was worth the attempt.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 164: [x] Ask if she can try to limit the amount of stress on the girl - maybe reassure her however she can - as we will need to enter her mind afterwards. The more stable Rin is, the higher the odds of success; [x] Ask Kohaku to avoid showing off her spell-cutting skill, if possible; [x] (write-in) Ask Kohaku to convince Rin to eat something, since she has not eaten anything since she wake up.

Choice 165:
    Kohaku nods patiently as Shinji speaks, as he apparently knows Tohsaka best in the world, though what he says isn't particularly insightful. It wasn't as if she was going to draw her sword in front of this childllike Rin - there were far easier ways to stop an attack, namely preventing them from attacking in the first place, perhaps with a geas or a...other form of compulsion, like what Kirie-sama was good at doing - or what a nekomata was particularly skilled at.

So many options were open to one who could use fusion, after all, things that westerners really had little to no idea about, and well, to be quite honest, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing that Tohsaka had regressed like this, to a point before she had become so suspicious. After all, children were so easy to manipulate and lead astray, particularly when they were scared and you were a friendly face - or seemed like one.

"Fufufu."

One really could never have too many pawns.

This Choice, however, is not about Kohaku. It is about Shinji. What is his overarching desire, other than one day being worthy of standing by Sokaris' side?

[ ] Attaining power - power enough to overturn reality itself
    [ ] Gaining true wisdom
    [ ] Inner peace
    [ ] World Peace
    [ ] The praise of the praiseworthy
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Gaining true wisdom
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; January 5th, 2020 at 08:19 AM.

[X] Inner peace

Given our move to be move to be more Onmyouji like I can see our end goal for this version of Shinji to seek Enlightenment. Which to me means either True Wisdom or inner peace ( or inner harmony put another way).

Now we can debate which of these two might be better pick, but I will argue that true wisdom is not Shinji's goal in life. Oh it is important, but in the end true wisdom is more Sion's goal in life, and thus Shinji seeks wisdom sololy so for her sake. Just like how he got the wisdom of the First Age for her. Wisdom is not his end goal but more the route that he takes to be at her side.

Inner Peace/harmony is what I think we need to push Shinji towards. Being sure of himself and who he is. Being able to be the master of himself, to ride thru with certainty all storms in his life because he knows himself and thus no longer has any doubts left. He WILL be by Sion's side, he will have the power and the wisdom to do so but it will because he found inner peace.

Praise from others I think we can agree is meanlessly in the end. Shinji really only cares about how Sion sees him and how Luna sees him in the end. A part of him will always seek that praise from any and all that he can but its not an overarching final goal/desire.

Power is the path for Shinji of BfaS.
    Wisdom was the path of the old Shinji that died on the Potion Island.

Blog Entries
    [x] Inner Peace.

Harmony or wisdom both would work for me here. I guess an ending where he looks back on his actions and can be proud of (most of it at least ) his path isn't too bad. There would be mistakes of course, as one can't live a perfect life but being able to reach a balanced state is a good thing. If you are to harmonize and protect (as an Atlas agent) nature and humanity as an onmyouji, it's a decent option.

Not to be contrary, guys, but inner peace in and of itself is worthless. There always has to be a stimuli, a desire to reach above and beyond, a wish for change. As Shinji is now, he can comfortably stay by Sion's side, you know? He is strong enough to matter, more or less, and will get somewhat better in the future. He can become a trusted Agent of Atlas and continue to work for her, trusted with progressively more important duties. The path is clear. But that's not the path I wanted to see.

[x] Gaining true wisdom

In the end I value Shinji making something of himself more than working for Sion for the sake of working for Sion. Its a thin difference with our protagonist, but it's there. Attaining true wisdom was the goal that led Shinji to Sion's side in the first place, and that's something that will be even more valuable as a motivation now that Shinji struggles to define himself.

[x] Gaining true wisdom

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]​Gaining true wisdom

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 165: [X] Gaining true wisdom

Choice 166: And how, exactly does one obtain true wisdom?

[ ] By closing one off to the distractions of the outside world and looking within oneself
    [ ] By opening up to the lessons of the world, and putting aside one's selfish impulses
    [ ] By reaching the swirl of creation
    [ ] By studying and building upon the wisdom of Those Who Came Before
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] By studying and building upon the wisdom of Those Who Came Before

Shinji should be Sion equal not Her tool.
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; January 8th, 2020 at 05:17 AM.

[x]By studying and building upon the wisdom of Those Who Came Before

[X] By opening up to the lessons of the world, and putting aside one's selfish impulses

The only way Shinji is going to get true wisdom for himself is to actually conquer himself and take away his selfish impulses so that he can accomplish something bigger than himself. Everything he has ever done that was WORTH anything of value was done for the sake of another. He has said this.

So I think we need to go that route. Studying and building on wisdom from those before are important but that is Sion's goal and a goal worth of a researcher which Shinji is not fully one. Let him throw himself towards making Sion's worldview a reality, so it happens but first you need to put aside his selfish impulses.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; January 7th, 2020 at 08:04 PM.

[X] By opening up to the lessons of the world, and putting aside one's selfish impulses

I don't think true wisdom can be really attained by specifically studying those who came before. It can be a pretty situational thing, and it carries the sweet danger of madness as price for a deep as shit knowledge, but it is not something i would put as THE way of reaching true wisdom.

Researching the swirl of creation is the magus trade, so hell no.

And we are left with the options of searching within himself, or in the world itself. I could take arguments in favor of both, but as we took the Onmyouji route, i think opening up to the world is the best way to go, and it also takes off the focus of a certain reptilian thing meddling within our soul in the construction of our mentality.

This feels right.

Blog Entries
    [x] By opening up to the lessons of the world, and putting aside one's selfish impulses

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 166: [X] By opening up to the lessons of the world, and putting aside one's selfish impulses

Choice 167: Shinji has just finished his self-reflection, when he is informed that the ICW Delegation would like to meet with him to discuss the events of the Battle of the Ministry, since he is (in)famously known to have repelled a mercenary army - though exactly how he managed to do so is a matter of debate, with various papers saying different things, and no one really knowing the truth except for Matou Shinji himself.

The one passing along the request is Lockhart's secretary, via one of her familiars. She notes that he is not being ordered to do this, but that it could be helpful if he could answer some questions.

Does he agree to meet with the man over lunch?

[ ] Yes. Meet with Director Spencer-Moon
    [ ] No. It isn't an order - he has better things to do with his time than talk to some diplomat

[ ] No. It isn't an order - he has better things to do with his time than talk to some diplomat

I prefer do other stuff.
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; January 8th, 2020 at 10:36 PM.

[X] Yes. Meet with Director Spencer-Moon

He is one of the best people we can talk to that knows there are many types of magic out there. As long as you explain why whatever you did is not grounds to become the next dark lord it should be ok.

[x]Yes. Meet with Director Spencer-Moon