Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Matou Shinji and the Price of Victory (HP/FSN CYOA)

[x] ...their bodyguard
    [x] A senior student, assigned to mentor them
    [x] Older than he looks
    [x] Offer Rin as someone to talk to, if they have a concern or something on their minds
    [x] No. The children aren't really his mission - they're just his cover. It's not his place to get too deeply involved

This combination provides Shinji with enough free time and opportunities to improve while being the only member of the team who has to prioritize the mission above all else. At the same time it forces Rin to come out of her unhealthy social stupor and create meaningful bonds with other people. Being seen as older will force people to give more credit to Shinji's words, when the time for inevitable disaster comes.

Hilde may play her games, Rin may be as incompetent as we expect her to be - but Shinji will ensure the success of the mission. After all, that's why we are here.

[X] Nines- Their temporary guardian/tutor, assigned by the First Citizen
    [X] Lumi - His assistant
    [x] Older than he looks
    [X] Offer tutoring in some other topic
    [X] The Muggleborns - who are stranded in this brave new world

Blog Entries
    [x] Grim - as the youngest child, he seems somewhat anxious, eyes always looking at everything as if it might harm him.

Since when does Shinji ignore someone who truly needs the help? It would be in character to reach out his hand to the youngest kid, who is clearly terrified of the world surrounding him. The boy clearly needs a landmark to make sense of the situation and while I think a girl might have a more comforting touch, Shinji can provide something neither Rin, Hilde or Hermione could. As someone who often found himself lost, targeted, and who also lost his family, I think Shinji would genuinely want to offer what little help he can provide so the kid can get back on his feet.

And by that I don't mean being overly emotional about the boy's situation, but to be able to understand his pain yet offering him a practical focus that may help him develop into someone who doesn't let anxiety and worry overtake him. No cuddling, just give him the tools / a new goal so he can become the next batman have a more healthy restart at life.

Not forgetting that taking one of the kids under his wing (even if temporarily) will also have some impact when it comes to convincing Hermione to support Albion's cause. As we discussed, our actions will reflect what Hermione would expect of Albion as an organizatoon. If she sees members of the alliance spending time caring for those who suffered from the current conflict, it makes her choice easier overall.

I think other choices have their place, but this guy seems like he needs the help more than the rest, and Shinji is fittingly equipped to give a hand.

Well, that's my reasoning for it.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 74:
    He is... [x] Their temporary guardian/tutor, assigned by the First Citizen
    Lumi is... [X] His assistant
    Regarding his age, he is... [X] Older than he looks

Choice 75: [X] Offer tutoring in some other topic

Choice 76: [X] Grim - as the youngest child, he seems somewhat anxious, eyes always looking at everything as if it might harm him

Choice 77: Ah, so you will help this last scion of a rich family, whose parents were killed following a performance in Diagon Alley by criminals and thugs, by teaching him something. But what will you teach young Master Grim?

[ ] To mind his surroundings (if he's going to be constantly looking around, he may as well learn how to be properly aware)
    [ ] To become still as glass (to hide his presence)
    [ ] To move
    [ ] To use body language to become someone else
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; July 4th, 2019 at 10:43 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] To mind his surroundings (if he's going to be constantly looking around, he may as well learn how to be properly aware)

I'm going with the old paradigm of "to advance learning you must teach": since this is an area of focus for Shinji we will do good for both Dragon-kun and Batman-kun by it. Awareness is not a strictly battle skill, so it will help the boy in life whatever he chooses, - there's that too. Also, good for getting a grip on paranoia, so I don't see any downsides here.
    Last edited by Malorius; July 4th, 2019 at 11:58 PM.

[ ] To move

[X] To mind his surroundings (if he's going to be constantly looking around, he may as well learn how to be properly aware)

Coin flip for the win.

Blog Entries
    [x] To mind his surroundings

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 77: [X] To mind his surroundings

Gained: Student (Grim Fawley)

Choice 78: To Shinji's relief, the ride to WADA was fairly uneventful, with the children mostly preoccupied by the drinks and refreshments in the stretch limousine had a refrigerator, and the driver - the stoic man known as Jeeves - not one to ask many questions. Then again, he supposed that someone used to working with rich and powerful people - be they from the Tower or elsewhere - had probably seen stranger things than a group of children coming out of a broken down bar to ride in a limo, and had been asked to do stranger things than drop off his passengers at a street corner.

The Muggleborn were obviously surprised and stunned to see such a vehicle - no, to be riding freely in a vehicle, though they seemed comfortable enough.

The purebloods, however, seemed rather perturbed, with the eldest, Penelope, looking around the interior of the limo uneasily, as if she wasn't used to riding in cars (though perhaps she wasn't, given how magical Britain tended to emphasize magical means of transport, such as the Floo). Seated beside her, and nearly clinging to her was the youngest of them, the boy named Grim Fawley, whose eyes darted back and forth from the windows to the other children, from the door of the limo to Nines and Lumi, his expression haunted, his jaw tight, as if expecting something to leap out at them at any moment as their surroundings whooshed by.

Of course, Mafalda Prewett fit into neither category, as she was either a half-blood and a muggleborn, depending on the definition one was using at the moment, and more than uneasy, she seemed angry, her body stiff and her eyes...

"Something wrong?" Shinji asked, turning to the girl, who was seated beside him.

"Thinking about my parents," Mafalda said stiffly, a statement that made more than one of the children flinch. "They'd come to visit, when..." Her words trailed off as her words balled into fists. "A thousand curses on the Ministry's cowardice, and on the hero who let them run away."

Shinji blinked at this.

"You would curse the Ministry and the one who saved its people, not those that did the killing?" the youth asked curiously.

"The Minister promised that something like this would never happen, not after the Quidditch thing," the girl bit out. "He promised and promised, took and took, and then when we needed him, what did he do? He ran, like a bloody coward."

"Mafalda--"

"Don't 'Mafalda' me, Penelope," the half-blood growled. "If the Minister had done the one thing he promised instead of turning his tail, my parents would still be alive. That 'hero' should have killed the coward where he stood, not let him sod off to Hogsmeade while my pa and mum fought bloody giants."

Shinji's jaw tightened as his mind's eye imagined the carnage giants could cause at...a charms school?

"Killed one, too," the girl said with no small amount of satisfaction. "And one of those corpse bastards. The rest though..."

'Wait. Prewett...mother is a muggle. Father is a Squib. So no magical way of fighting.'

"Your parents - how did they...?"

"Shot them, how else?" Mafalda replied, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Muggle doesn't meant helpless, you know."

Shinji nodded.

"No, no it doesn't," the boy affirmed. "But magical doesn't mean powerful, either. Not the way you mean, at least."

"That's true," Mafalda admitted. "But what about you? You're a soldier--"

"--mercenary--"

"--mercenary," the girl corrected. "Would you really fight giants? Ghouls? Dark wizards?"

"Yes," Shinji responded. "I have, in fact."

"...huh. And you didn't run."

"No."

"Why?" she asked, almost demanded. "What did you have that the Ministry lacked that someone as frail as you fought - and lived - while they ran away?"

What indeed?

[ ] Ambition
    [ ] Courage
    [ ] Wisdom
    [ ] Loyalty
    [ ] (write-in)

Choice 79: "And what about the one who let the cowards get away? Who let them run when so many didn't have the chance? What was he?"

[ ] A gloryhound
    [ ] An idiot
    [ ] A hero
    [ ] Someone with his own circumstances
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Fun fact, possession of handguns was not effectively banned until 1997, after an amendment to the Firearms act was passed following the Dunblane massacre. Prior to that, one could own one for personal protection reasons, provided that one had a Certificate authorizing them to do so (good for a five year period) or had a job which allowed them to do so (Special Branch of the Metropolitan Police, for example).

As for the Hero, she's talking about Matou Shinji, the so called Hero of the Ministry, who let the cowardly liars in the Ministry building just run away instead of making them (Aurors and soldiers) do their jobs. She has no problem with Lockhart, who actually fought for London and protected the common people.
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; July 11th, 2019 at 09:49 AM.

Blog Entries

[x] Someone who just happened to be at the Ministry during the attack.

He wouldn't have saved people in Diagon Alley even if he had let the ministry folks die.

Barely even had time to get ready for their arrival, after all. Most likely would have been ambushed by hostiles on his way out.
    Last edited by Daiki; July 11th, 2019 at 04:14 PM.

[ ] Loyalty
    [ ] Someone with his own circumstances

Based on the Profile we have cobbled together (still pending). I have to say the logic answer for Nine to give

[X] I gave my word and I shall not break that by running
    [X] Someone with his own circumstances

[X] I gave my word and I shall not break that by running
    [X] Someone with his own circumstances

Yeah, pretty much, SL.

It seems like we will need to link that backstory profile to the front page or something, it's going to get too unwieldy to post here.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 78: [X] I gave my word and I shall not break that by running
    Choice 79: [X] Someone with his own circumstances

Chapter 5. With Nothing to Lose

Though he’d accepted Lockhart’s offer, the boy who called himself Matou Shinji began to have second thoughts immediately after the man left, given that Mashu excused herself to let him “catch up with Miss Tohsaka” soon after, and in the agent’s absence, his…new subordinate? colleague? squadmate began to pester him with irritatingly simple questions.

Questions like what exactly “Wizarding” Britain was, what Ministry the “First Citizen” had spoken of and why Matou was that Ministry’s hero, and what this business about armies of giants, goblins, and wuch was about.

‘What was Lockhart thinking?’ he asked himself, wondering why the Assa—First Citizen—had permitted t— ‘No. That’s not it. He did say the final composition of my squad would be up to me, so…what was I thinking?’

He knew what he’d been thinking quite well, of course: that Tohsaka was familiar to him, in a world that had become so strange, that as an Average One, she had a great deal of potential, and that as someone already used to following his instructions, it would take less to earn her respect than nearly anyone else he worked with.

The trouble was, she knew nothing about the world he worked in and the dangers he faced, except the highly sanitized, even idealized drips and morsels that he relayed to her every now and then to make himself look good in her eyes.

…that, and with the exception of whatever hell his former Master had put her through, he was pretty sure Tohsaka had never really been in a life or death situation before, and while she probably knew the basics of how being a magus was to walk with death, he was unsure of how much martial training she’d had.

‘She’s soft, and not entirely in a good way…’

Granted, there was a not-so-small part of him that enjoyed how she gushed over his accomplishments, especially once they moved to the couches and she sidled up to him, claiming it was cold, allowing him to breathe in her scent and enjoy the softness of her form, the back of his hand just so happening to brush her curves, but…

…whatever enjoyment he was deriving from the situation was quickly being outweighed by her lack of even the most basic bits of knowledge about the world he’d been part of for nigh on four years at this point, a world that was every bit as dangerous as that of moonlight, even if the dangers were not quite so obvious at first.

To her credit, the girl was at least willing to listen as he explained how, to the best of his knowledge, the descendants of the European fey had largely gone into hiding during the bloody war between the Association and the Church, forming a hidden society that did almost everything with spells, treating the thaumaturgy not as a science or a tool to reach the root, but as something as mundane as electricity was for modern society.

Well, perhaps not electricity, since they saw magic as their birthright, something innate to them, not something they invented, with the use of it being as natural as walking or breathing, with wands being something like a walker or cane to help them support themselves, or some kind of apparatus to help them breathe in a very smoggy, polluted world.

“They need wands to do any sort of thaumaturgy?” Rin asked, blinking as she took in this piece of information. Wands and other amplifier-type Mystic Codes weren’t uncommon among magi, as they made casting faster or more efficient, but no self-respecting magus would ever require such a thing to use their abilities. “Even single action spells?”

“Single actions spells are almost all of what they do,” Shinji explained, shaking his head. “Compared to the average magus, a…practitioner of witchcraft is not especially powerful, but that doesn’t mean they’re weak either.”

“What do you mean?” the girl inquired, tilting her head. If they weren’t powerful, didn’t that by definition mean that they were weak?

“First, there are a great many practitioners – many more than there are magi. There were thousands of them in Britain alone. Which might be the reason they’re weaker, since there is a fine balance between belief and the number of people drawing on a single foundation, but…,” the boy replied with something like a shrug. “That said, even if the average practitioner is less powerful than a magus, their – our spells tend to be more efficient and versatile,” he added with a smile.

Tohsaka stiffened at this, remembering too late that Matou wasn’t a magus, but one of these practitioners.

“Oh, but—”

“Yes, magi can become richer, more powerful than practitioners of witchcraft, using their thaumaturgy to create familiars, to weave bounded fields, to enact grand rituals on a scale that most practitioners couldn’t even dream of, it’s true,” he admitted with a wry twist of his lips. “Coming from Fuyuki, we both know that.”
    No practitioner of witchcraft would ever be able to craft something like the Holy Grail, after all, given the deep knowledge of the metaphysical world needed for it, as well as the sheer amounts of power.

“But?”

“Practitioners of witchcraft use their arts for everything. And while they’re limited in what they can do, that doesn’t mean they can’t be very good at it.” He shook his head. “They have tricks of their own they can use, and if you aren’t familiar with what they can do – if you underestimate them, well, being stronger or more magically capable isn’t a guarantee of victory.” He paused for a moment. “Well, unless you’re one of the Wizard-Marshals, I guess.”

Emiya Kiritsugu, the infamous Magus Killer, had made a career out of proving that the weak could defeat the strong, taking down any number of more capable targets, including no few vampires, rogue Philosophers who had escaped a sealing designation, and Lords of the Tower. He’d even won the last Holy Grail War, so…

“I see,” Rin noted, but Shinji could tell she really didn’t. Perhaps a more…hands-on approach would be needed, so he could make not just with her mind, but her body, understand how dangerous what she had signed up for really was.

“Hey,” he said, leaning close to her as she made something like a sound of contentment. “Mashu will probably be back soon, so why don’t we go somewhere a little more private.”

“Hm?”

“There’s something I want to show you…something I can't explain just with words," he began, before glancing over at her again. "Um, you don't mind a bit of sweating, do you?"

"N-no, not at all!"

“Good – then if you’re willing, I’ll show you what it will be like under me. Are you?”

“Y-yes, anytime!” the girl nearly squealed, her cheeks flushed, her breathing quite labored. “P-please. Make a mess of me.”

“Well, if you say to, Tohsaka,” Shinji muttered dubiously.

Tohsaka Rin would shortly have reason to regret her words, proving that in wisdom, there was much grief, and one who increased knowledge also increased sorrow.

About half an hour later, a panting Tohsaka Rin lay on the ground of the training area in the basement, her unfocused eyes seeing nothing but a blur of light and shadow. Her skin was covered in a sheen of sweat, and her chest heaved as her lips parted to suck in strangled gulps of fetid air. Her reserves were utterly spent.
    Her limbs limp and weak – unable to move at all.

She was sore and aching all over from how rough Matou had been, how he’d pounded her relentlessly, how his rod had jabbed her over and over again, piercing through her weakness yet drawing things out until her inexperienced body collapsed from exhaustion from the fruits of his…experience.

Now, stripped of her clothes, of her control, of her strength, of anything that would let her resist, she was helpless – more helpless than she’d ever been in her entire life. The only time that had come close was when she’d fought and lost against the creations of her dirty red Master, but here it was just Matou who…

“Ma…tou,” she gasped, as she noticed a vaguely person-shaped shadow kneel over her, blocking out the actinic glare of the lights above. “So…rough…”

“Yes, I was, wasn’t I?” the shadow – Matou – responded, not even breathing hard in the wake of their…encounter. “I guess I’m used to my partners being more…experienced. Your first time, then?”

Tohsaka only closed her eyes and nodded slightly, her body flushing red from the embarrassment of having failed to live up to his expectations.

She’d practiced by herself, of course, and had other, less strenuous encounters with people like Kohaku, but they hadn’t gone nearly as far as Matou had. Kohaku had overwhelmed her, yes, but with a sort of speed that couldn’t be human, and she’d been merciful enough to finish her off. Matou though…

“I…yes…”

“You need practice, Tohsaka,” the shadow said, its tone a mixture of indifference and disappointment. “If you can’t handle me using only the tip of my staff, how will you endure whatever other techniques I may have prepared?”

The girl shivered at that, recalling how brutal the boy had been, how he had led her about, playing with her body, punishing her, proving how much she had to learn and leaving her a breathless, crumpled heap of limbs.

“Why…?”

“Why?” Shinji echoed. “You asked for this, didn’t you? You told me to ‘make a mess of you.’ So I did.” He sighed. “I thought you could take it. Sadly, I thought wrong.”

The magus tried to say something, but she could not, as a wave of exhaustion washed over her, the last bits of energy she had guttering out.

Matou Shinji looked down on the unconscious, barely-clad body of Tohsaka Rin, surprised to note that he felt only…disappointment, with not a flicker of lust or desire. For all her vaunted might, for all that she’d once been someone he’d idolized and set on a pedestal, the reality had fallen pitifully short of what he had imagined.
    For most of the spar, he’d willingly conceded the initiative, allowing her to choose how and when to attack while he merely defended or counterattacked, using the superior reach of his staff, or his ability to simply flow behind her and strike to his advantage. He’d been prepared to face what he knew of what she could do, whether it was martial arts (because you couldn’t hit what wasn’t there), gandr, or her A-rank gems, and had taken the possible threat she posed seriously.

…even then, he had expected some sort of epic reversal that would put him on the defensive, some trump card that would take everything he’d learned or practiced to counter, if he even could, but…that never materialized.

In the end, her efforts had been meaningless, and he’d beaten her using nothing more than the tip of his staff, with Tohsaka being unable to predict the blows, defend against them, or even hit him.

Even when she’d thrown an A-rank gem at him, a jewel that had erupted into a conflagration capable of consuming a(n unwarded) house, his staff had simply absorbed the flames – as had he, since fire only healed him, now with what he had become.

‘To think that Tohsaka stood no chance at all…I never would have imagined it.’

That said, he couldn’t just leave her passed out on the ground like this. That would be rather ungentlemanly of him.

‘I guess I’ll get you cleaned up.’

The tub was big enough for two, after all.

That night, Matou Shinji found himself at his desk, drafting a letter to First Citizen Lockhart, given that he’d thought of something: with his newfound fame (or infamy) as the “Hero of the Ministry”, perhaps it would be better served if he had some sort of disguise when he went to Magical London, so he wasn’t ambushed by the media or by people with…excessively strong opinions on his actions.

While he was sure he’d saved many people due to his actions holding off the forces of Grindelwald at the Ministry, would others appreciate that, he wondered? He liked to think so, but it was obvious even to him that he was not the best judge of how other people reacted to his actions – especially now that he was no longer human.

‘Though I can’t really use that as an excuse, can I?’ he mused, remembering how he’d been criticized for being bad at the public relations game even before he’d lost himself in fire. ‘And now I’m supposed to lead a squad?’

He’d never really formally been a leader, except perhaps as a figurehead for the Ourea. He’d been a champion and allegedly a hero, but actually having a position of authority over someone was unexplored territory for him. Granted, one could say that he’d led Pansy and Rachelle Lestrange into the howling wastes to confront a rogue tanuki, but that hadn’t been him leading them as much as all of them agreeing that something needed to be done.
    And well, even if could be considered leadership experience…he’d almost gotten everyone killed because he’d underestimated his opponent, something that he seemed to do with depressing frequency.

‘Can I not pass this cup to someone else?’

Let someone else be a squad leader, while he simply served and followed orders? No…Lockhart had requested him specifically because of what he had done as the “Hero of the Ministry”, so he couldn’t pass it off to someone else, no matter how much he would like to. Besides which, learning how to be a leader was probably a skill Sokaris would want him to have as a future Agent, much less as someone aspiring to stand by her side.

As a Director of one the Three Great Branches of the Association, she was a leader, which meant that this was a trial he needed to overcome if he wanted to reach her side, or even continue to be worthy of having a place in her thoughts – or her heart.

With the hand he’d been dealt in life, that was truly something as difficult as obtaining the Grail – though if he supposed that a card-based analogy wasn’t quite the best one to use here, since the Heart suit was originally “Cups” in the tarot deck – meaning, the Grail.

‘Well, either way, I can’t run from this, no matter how much I’m leery of it…of choosing whose lives I want to be responsible for.’

If it were up to him, he’d want to see what Luna had to say, since she was always reliable, and more than a match for him, but his lover – well, the lover of Matou Shinji – hadn't returned from her excursion to the East.

Or perhaps she had while he had been unconscious, and Mashu hadn’t mentioned it.

Either way, she wasn’t here, so he couldn’t consult her, couldn’t ask what she was thinking. Did...had she figured out that he wasn't the person she loved? Had she learned how he was but a pale imitation of a man, a doll who had once believed itself to be the boy it replaced?

'I guess it wouldn't be too hard to guess that from everything I've already told her, huh?' he wondered, as his mind drifted back to the island and their...fight. The moment she had just left him behind, left him alone. When he'd learned just how badly he'd screwed up.

It hadn't been a pleasant revelation.

But then, very little about most of the revelations he had come to lately were particularly pleasant.

‘Requests…’

Honestly speaking, he didn’t really have any idea who would be willing to join him, or really, to serve as an agent of a government which might not even have diplomatic recognition yet.

For now, all he had to work with was a too-eager Tohsaka, who didn't seem to understand the dangers of the world and how this was not a game. Powerful as he had believed her to be, desperate to please him as she was, she would have died had she fought in the Battle of the Ministry – something he knew far too well. Still, it wasn't as if he could just sideline her either, not when he had already accepted her into his squad.

That would break her, and he didn’t really want to do that if he could help it.

Perhaps she might be more useful working as a crafter? He had obtained some patents for her use…though technically, those patents belonged to the company owned by Luna, so he had no legal right to offer them up to her. He didn’t want to think Luna would object, but with how upset she’d been with him before, perhaps it was better not to take any unnecessary chances.

‘I guess Tohsaka’s talents would make her useful as a prana battery, since some of my abilities are rather draining, but…’

No. Doing that would be taking advantage of the girl, and would probably go over…poorly with both Luna and Mashu.

‘And the last thing I need is for Mashu to write a bad report about me to Sokaris…’ On some level, the lilac-haired girl seemed to have an issue with Tohsaka, and until he found out what that was, he didn’t really want to jeopardize his future with Atlas. Or his housing situation, giving that since his return from the isle, the wards no longer registered him as the owner, meaning that the agent of Atlas could technically evict him from the property at any time. ‘Things used to be simpler…’

But then, if complications were the price of growing stronger, so be it.

‘For now, I’ll finish drafting this letter to Lockhart. There’s a lot I need to discuss with him in person before I go further down this path.’

The issue of how to deliver the letter was an interesting one, since Tohsaka was unconscious so he couldn’t just borrow her mechanical owl, and it wasn’t as if he wanted to go to Diagon Alley alone so.

‘Maybe Mashu can think of something. She’s…far more reliable than I am when it comes to things like this.’

More reliable than even he predicted, in fact, given that when the lilac-haired girl came up to his quarters later that night to help guide him through his mental exercises, she brought with her a package containing a writing pad that was apparently linked to a counterpart (the other half of which had been given to the First Citizen), as well as an outfit that she said would help him pass by unnoticed.

“What is this?” he asked, noting that for something that was meant to go unnoticed, the outfit was rather attention-grabbing, consisting of an elaborately embroidered double-breasted jacket made of black velvet, matching gloves and slacks, a blindfold, and boots.

“A disguise,” the Agent of Atlas explained.

“How is this supposed to be a disguise?” the boy asked dubiously. “It seems like it would draw a good deal of attention.”

“It would, especially if you put on the blindfold – which isn’t exactly a blindfold.”

“Oh? And what is it then?”

“Something to protect against the effects of Mystic Eyes and other negative sight-based magecraft,” the young woman explained. “The inward-facing side will allow you to see what is on the other side, while filtering out the…negative effects. Incidentally, it will turn your hair white.”

“Huh. Interesting,” Shinji noted. “So…something like the instant death effect from meeting a basilisk’s eye?”

“Yes. The jacket and slacks will also serve to negate most single-action spells cast against you, as well as protect you from more mundane damage.”

“…very useful, but it still doesn’t strike me as much of a disguise. It stands out too much for that,” Shinji noted.

“It is useful because it stands out,” Mashu countered, with the boy blinking at this.

“Mm?”

“You will draw attention, but it will be a black-clad white-haired figure who draws attention, not Matou Shinji, as Matou Shinji has never seen the need for disguises,” Mashu explained.

“Ah, that’s…” Now that he thought about it, that was actually a rather clever way to go about things. “Thank you.” Though speaking of the design… He frowned as he looked more closely at the pattern on the jacket. “The pattern seems almost familiar.”

“It was made based on the one created for Miss Tohsaka,” Mashu explained, with Shinji nodding.

That would explain it, yes.

“You should write to the First Citizen to arrange a meeting time,” she continued. “Atlas will be happy to subsidize transport for you when the time comes.”

“…and what exactly does Atlas get out of the rise of Albion?” he questioned, knowing that the Moonlit world didn’t often get involved in the affairs of practitioners of witchcraft.

“The research conducted by the Department of Mysteries,” was the response. “Or what remains of it after the near destruction of the Ministry building.”

Shinji blinked, not seeing what they could offer that—

“…you’re after their research on time, aren’t you?” he murmured, eyes widening. “Is Sokaris…?”

But Mashu said nothing further about the matter, moving onto their lesson about the practicalities of thought acceleration, and how to make most efficient use of the technique

Choice 80: Shinji goes to Gringotts, where he is led by one of the goblins to a mysterious vault that is empty except for a table, two chairs, and a Vanishing Cabinet. Oddly enough, there were no torches, with the walls glowing with a soft white light, quite unlike the other vaults.

"Ley lines," he is told, in response to his question about how this place is lit, but before he can say much more, Lockhart steps through, the cabinet, followed by a white-haired young woman wearing an elegant black dress that came down to mid-thigh, as part of a set with stockings, thigh-high boots, and blindfold.

"I recognize that dress," Shinji noted, with Lockhart nodding.

"I would be surprised if you didn't, considering it was manufactured by your fashion house," the First Citizen said dryly. "Well, not the blindfold, but the rest anyway. In any case, you have questions for me, yes? Ask them."

What questions do you have for Lockhart? (choose up to three)

[ ] Ask about squad size
    [ ] Ask about general responsibilities
    [ ] Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends
    [ ] Ask about diplomatic recognition
    [ ] Ask who the person who came in with him is
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; July 16th, 2019 at 09:47 PM.

[X] Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends
    [X] Ask about diplomatic recognition
    [X] Ask about his responsibilities of being a Squad Commander to his squad members; Any suggestions Lockhart has

A bit of everything. Knowledge about his future team mates, cause he does not really know what Draco or Andreas can do. Talking Diplomatic recognition gives Shinji a view of the bigger picture of what is going on from the source what is a bit of a longer view that we need for the year. And the Asking about his responsibilities to his squadmates at least sets up Shinji towards understanding what he needs to do to successfully lead a group and not a mob.

Blog Entries
    [x] The responsibilities of being a Squad Commander to his squad members; Any suggestions Lockhart has.

[x] Ask about diplomatic recognition.

[x] Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends.

[X] Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends
    [X] Ask about his responsibilities of being a Squad Commander to his squad members; Any suggestions Lockhart has

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends
    [x]Ask about diplomatic recognition
    [x]Ask about his responsibilities of being a Squad Commander to his squad members; Any suggestions Lockhart has

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Choice 80: [X] Ask to see dossiers of people he recommends

Chapter 6. Fortunate Meeting

Having received an item which would allow him to hide his identity, Matou Shinji headed to Magical London the next day, intending to both go to Gringotts and get a look around at how things looked in the wake of the battle Lockhart had told him about.

Even having been warned though, it was a shock to see Diagon Alley in ruins, with buildings smashed to rubble, gutted by flame, or twisted by magic into odd shapes. This…he’d heard about the assault on London from Tonks and from Lockhart, but what that meant had never quite sunk in until now, when could see the devastation with his own eyes.

Flourish and Blotts, the store where so many people bought their textbooks, was gone, with only shattered, charred timbers marking that it had ever existed in the first place.

Quality Quidditch Supplies was but a caved in storefront, with most of the things it used to sell removed.

Eeylops Owl Emporium…he hoped the owls had gotten out of there before the building had caught fire, because burning to death was a fate he didn’t wish on anyone or anything. Well, maybe except for his enemies, toward whom he felt very little pity.

And there was no sign of Ollivanders at all.

But even so, there were people about, witches and goblins both tending to business, with some having set up carts to sell their wares, some laboring away on work crews helping to rebuild some of the more communal structures, and a few – students, he thought – even bringing a bit of color to the ruined heart of London.

Probably students from the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts, he supposed, given that they seemed to be performing the Fountain of Fair Fortune, one of the old standbys of British Drama. Having seen one such production at Hogwarts, he wasn’t that enthused himself, and so just walked on by on his way to Gringotts, where one of the goblins took him down to the vaults – specifically to Vault 76, which oddly enough, contained no stacks of gold, no sacks of gems, no crowns, no artifacts from across the sea or much of anything really.

In fact, aside for a table, two chairs, and a cabinet of some kind, the vault was completely empty, with the main oddity of the room being that the walls glowed with a soft white light, cool to the touch, and never bright enough to be blinding.

“Huh…I’ve never seen anything like this,” the boy muttered.

“You would not have,” the goblin – Graplock – responded. “It wasn't made by the likes of wizards.”

“By who then…?”

But Graplock said nothing, merely gesturing for Shinji to take the seat with his back to the door – which he did, as he didn’t want to antagonize the goblin.

“I will return,” the goblin noted shortly after that, before walking off, with Shinji thinking that Graplock was just going to remain at a respectful distance until he heard a rumbling and whirled about to see the vault door sliding shut with a dull clang.

‘He…that goblin locked me in!’

Was…was this some sort of trick? Had the goblins decided he was too dangerous to live, sensing his true nature, or—

Before his thoughts could descend to anything worse, the door to the cabinet swung open, with none other than Gilderoy Lockhart stepping down from it. He closed the door and stepped back, only for it to swing open again, with a white-haired young woman stepping through.

The First Citizen wore a robe of copper threads, while his companion wore an elegant black dress that came down to mid-thigh, as part of a set with stockings, thigh-high boots, and…a surprisingly familiar blindfold, a twin to the one he wore.

"I recognize that dress," Shinji noted, with Lockhart nodding.

"I would be surprised if you didn't, considering it was manufactured by your fashion house," the First Citizen said dryly. "Well, not the blindfold, but the rest anyway.” Gilderoy Lockhart chuckled. “Mister Matou, allow me to introduce you to my assistant, Miss Emilia.”

Shinji rose as the white-haired young woman approached him and extended her hand. Perhaps she had meant for him to shake it, but the boy took it and raised it to his lips as he bent.

“Enchanté, mademoiselle,” he murmured. “It is a pleasure to meet you.”

“And you, Mister Matou. The First Citizen has told me much of your exploits.”

“Only good things I hope.”

“You may do so if you wish,” was the cool reply, which didn’t actually make Shinji feel very comfortable as he stepped back, raising a quizzical eyebrow.

“Now then, shall we be seated?” Lockhart inquired. “I believe you have some questions for me, and it would be a terrible thing for me to ask you to remain standing all day.”

Questions? Yes - Matou Shinji certainly had questions. Questions like who the other person in the room was, as he wasn't acquainted with any busty white-haired beauties. Questions like the extent of Atlas' involvement in the rise of Albion. Questions like how long Lockhart had planned on this rebellion, and why the man thought that a Japanese teenager, of all people was the right choice to lead a squad in Albion's Home Guard.

Speaking of which - what exactly was the Home Guard? An elite combat unit? A ceremonial formation? ...glorified bodyguards? What would his duties be? Exactly how many people was supposed to command? ...and of course, was there some kind of training program, or was all going to be "on the job training?"

If it was the latter, and this was supposed to be some sort of elite combat unit, he would have to ask the Assassin to reconsider, since in her current state Tohsaka wouldn't survive a battle.

'She wouldn't be bad fighting a magus, since her fighting style is built for speed,' the boy noted, closing his eyes. 'She focuses on single action spells provided to her by her Crest, with her gems letting her use more powerful abilities without any incantation. The problem is that if we end up fighting something - or someone - it probably won't be a magus.'

Against reasonably skilled practitioners of witchcraft, such as those he had fought in the Atrium, she wouldn't have a speed advantage.

Against dementors or acromantulae, her reliance on single action spells would probably get her killed, given her lack of knowledge regarding their weaknesses.

'Well, not that even I can fight off a dementor easily - maybe I should teach Tohsaka how to craft ofuda?' Given her family's background with embedding energy into items, she probably would have a leg up on some other students. On the other hand...the fact that gems all had certain attributes that would stain the energy stored in them meant that she could largely skip the process of shaping energy. 'Well, I'll think about it. For now, to the questions...'

"If I'm being honest, I do have a few," the boy responded, shaking his head even as Lockhart gestured for him to take a seat. "There aren’t enough chairs for all of us, sir, and I would be a poor gentleman if I sat while a lady stood.”

Gilderoy Lockhart raised an eyebrow at this, but nodded at his reasoning.

“A fair point, though unfortunately, these chairs cannot be duplicated.”

“Why not?”

“They are wrought entirely of goblin silver,” came the reply, with Shinji’s eyes widening as he considered just what he’d been sitting on.
    “…that…that has to be worth a fortune.”

“Not to goblins, but to wizards, certainly,” Lockhart agreed. “If you wish to stand, I suppose I won’t stop you. Miss Emilia, did you feel the need to sit?”

“No, sir.”

“Very well,” the Assassin noted, seating himself on one of the two chairs. “Your questions then?”

“Well, my first question is…what exactly will I be doing as a squad leader in the Home Guard?"

"Mm, yes, I suppose I wasn't entirely clear as to your duties, responsibilities, or who you would be reporting to," the First Citizen mused aloud. "Albion splits its forces into two major branches - the Albion Liberation Force (ALF) and the Home Guard. While both branches ultimately report to Albion's Wizard Marshal, their mission profiles are rather different, with the Liberation Force being the sword to the Home Guard's shield."

"The Home Guard's...shield?"

"To put it plainly, the Liberation Force will be tasked with defeating the Ministry, suppressing their forces and taking their territories," Lockhart explained. "The Home Guard, on the other hand, is meant to protect territories we already control against internal and external threats."

"...so we're more like Aurors than an army then?" Shinji asked, his eyebrows rising as he heard this.

"In a sense," the First Citizen acknowledged. "Though that doesn't mean that you won't have to deal with hostile forces. After all, one of the Ministry's main objectives no doubt will be to recapture London, or failing that, to destroy it, keeping it out of our hands."

"Why...?" the boy asked, going over what the Assassin had told him in their last conversation. "Wait...does this have to do with...legitimacy?"

"It does indeed, Mister Matou," Lockhart agreed, seeming slightly surprised that the boy had realized this. "Albion's reason for calling the legitimacy of the Ministry as a government into question was that it abandoned its capital - and its people - to the mercy of an invasion force, without even making a token effort to defend the helpless. In their absence, we - an alliance of goblins and...individuals like myself - drove back the invaders, saving what and who we could, and declaring ourselves the new, legitimate government of Britain. For if the Ministry, after all the freedoms it has stripped away, and all the power it has claimed, could not - or would not - protect the city that has been its capital for hundreds of years, then it does not deserve to rule." The man's expression hardened. "We will not make the same mistake they did. Mistakes, rather."

"I see. Then my squad..."

"Your squad - First Squad - will be assigned to the defense of the capital, freeing up Liberation Force members to head north for the campaign against the Ministry," Lockhart explained.

"I see."

"As Squad Leader, you will be responsible for the general well-being of your squad, for ensuring that their performance is up to an acceptable standard, for requisitioning equipment or supplemental training to make up for deficiencies, and of course, for carrying out operations which are assigned to you."

"These requisitions..."

"Will be paid for by the Government of Albion of course," the First Citizen noted. "So long as you can justify what you are asking for."

"Not a bad deal," Shinji murmured. "I may have to take you up on that soon, given that my one extant squad member requires...some training to get her ready for what we might face."

"Ah. I suppose she's better versed at fighting magi, being one herself?" the man asked.

"That's..." the boy's eyes flashed as he glanced over at the First Citizen. "...you know about magi." He paused. "But I guess you would if..." he trailed off, shaking his head. "You're not just a normal practitioner, are you?"

"I think we both know the answer to that, Mister Matou."

"Right. Well, she needs training - someone to get her up to speed on the basics of this world of ours. I'll do what I can myself, but--"

"You're not longer sure what's common knowledge for both worlds, and what you only assume is common knowledge because you have been among us for so long?"

"Well. Yes."

The Assassin chuckled.

"I'll make a note of your request for Spectre Mudbutton - the local ALF Commander," Lockhart said. "He might have some ideas. Anything else?"

"Well, I would like to know who I could recruit," Shinji said after a moment. "Since I don't think a two person squad would be all that useful for...anything, really."

"Hm. Well then. Emilia, would you kindly...?"

The white-haired woman nodded, tapping the side of her blindfold twice, lightly, as a few...documents appeared in his field of vision, projected onto the back of his retina by the blindfold he wore.

Scanning them quickly, he saw that they contained information on Draco Malfoy, Andreas Tornquist, a "Green Goblin" and Emilia herself.

"Huh. I didn't know Draco's was a proficient healer," the boy murmured, his eyebrows almost reaching his hairline as he skimmed the personality profile and known history for the blond boy. "...or that he was one of the people who treated the victims of the Quidditch World Cup."

"Treat is perhaps a strong word," Lockhart corrected. "Triaged, mostly."

"...he saw Cho Chang die because her parents wouldn't let their daughter be treated?" Shinji asked, a faint undertone of horror slipping into his voice. "Is this right?"

"It is. It is one of the reasons he has become...sympathetic to our cause, as my apprentice tells."

The rest of it, including his ability to create a spear of light, and how he had defeated Fred Weasley, was...interesting, but not quite as impactful as the rest of what he'd read.

"...why exactly do you recommend him for my squad?" Shinji asked quietly. "He seems like he'd work better with Pansy."

"Several reasons. First, your squad needs a healer, and you are more familiar with what yang abilities can and cannot do," the Assassin explained. "Second, he is the Minister's son, so having him in a visible role as both a partisan of Albion, as well as a defender of London, alongside the boy who covered the escape of the Ministry's employees, will make it harder for the Ministry to tar us all as 'monsters.' Third...you need someone who is more familiar with the politics of Britain than you are to advise you about various faux pas and such, so you don't go on committing them."

"...noted," Shinji said, as he moved onto the next file, the one on Andreas, the youth known as the Raven Commander, listing his achievements, his abilities, and... "Won't it be a problem getting either Draco or Andreas into my squad, considering both are still at Durmstrang?"

"Not as much as you think," Lockhart noted. "Durmstang has an expedited graduation program for those offered relatively prestigious postings. As a school which exists to teach martial magic, it only makes sense that it supports the ambitions of those seeking to make a career out of what they learned, yes?"

"...I suppose," the boy agreed. "And Draco?"

"I can't say much before things are finalized, but we are in talks with members of the International Confederation about the repatriation of British citizens loyal to the legitimate government."

"To the..." Shinji blinked. "Either the ICW really doesn't like the Ministry, or some other nation has recognized Albion as the legitimate government of Britain."

"Not bad."

"Would you mind if I asked which it was?"

"Both, as a matter of fact," Lockhart said, with the boy fighting to keep his jaw from falling open in shock. Thankfully for his dignity, he succeeded, barely.

"...might I ask which countries?"

But Lockhart shook his head.

"You will find out when that becomes relevant, Mister Matou, though I will say that one of them wishes to grant you their nation's highest honor - the Sacred Order of the Lake."

"The Sacred Order...of the Lake?" the boy echoed, not recognizing the award. "Never heard of it."

"I wouldn't have expected you to," Lockhart said reasonably. "Would you care to continue looking through the dossiers?"

Shinji grunted, but did so, quickly finding that the Green Goblin was an artificer who specialized in explosives and mechanisms, as opposed to the usual enchantments, and that personality-wise, he could be somewhat difficult.

"...what exactly is an artificer?" he asked Lockhart, as he'd never heard of the term before. "Something like a smith?"

"You will have to be briefed about goblin culture in more detail soon, given that the goblins are an integral part of Albion, but for now, what you need to know is that crafting is a core part of their society," the Assassin explained. "Every goblin is expected to have some level of skill at creating beautiful and functional items, with the best of the goblin-smiths being given the throne when a King resigns or dies."

"Kingship isn't hereditary?"

"No. They have no goblin nobility, and do not put any stock in blood as a reason for ruling," Lockhart continued. "What matters is the respect they command through their works."

"Huh. And artificers? Where do they fit?"

"They don't, exactly," the Assassin noted. "The title of Artificer is rarely awarded, and then, only to goblins who have completed a great work that might advance goblinkind as a whole. One of the historical Artificers, the one they will talk about with closer associates, was the one who invented the process by which goblin-silver is created and shaped. There are others - the one who worked out the process of embedding runes into metal."

"...so...they are paragons of their race?"

"Yes, considered greater even than their Kings."

"...I think I'll pass on him, then, if it’s all the same," Shinji said after that.

"May I ask why?"

"...with all due respect, I'm not sure it would be a great idea to have the Green Goblin working for me, given his position in goblin society," the boy reasoned. "I'm not sure he would follow orders, especially if he considers them...foolish."

"Fair enough," Lockhart allowed. "And what of Emilia?"

"Haven't read her file yet, but she seems competent and dutiful from what I’ve seen of her so far," Shinji quipped, proceeding to open up the final dossier. Apparently, Emilia worked with Lockhart as an infiltration and close personal protection specialist, with a talent for mimicking the mannerisms and abilities of various targets. In fact... "...she...uh, you use her as your body double?"

If there was a note of incredulity in Shinji’s voice, that was because the assertion seemed improbable, given that Emilia was a busty young woman and Lockhart was neither busty nor a young woman. That and their features didn't look remotely alike, contrary to Tohsaka's grumbling about white people all looking the same.

"What can I say? Being in two places at once is sometimes a useful ability."

"But...how?"

"Did it slip your mind that there are ways by which a person might transform into another?" Lockhart questioned. "I did give you some vials of Polyjuice for Christmas, did I not? Which, I am told, you used to transform yourself into one of your fellow Champions, a young woman if I recall correctly. You even achieved some controversy by killing someone while wearing her shape."

"...right. I guess that makes sense," Shinji said reluctantly, as he continued to read about Emilia and the various things she had done. "Magical energy absorption? Skill duplication?" The boy blinked. "You're quite talented, Miss Emilia."

"Thank you," the busty young woman said quietly, but otherwise did not react.

"She has been quite a valuable operative, and one I think you would find quite useful as well, especially if you are learning how to construct cover identities for your own use. A disguise is meaningless if your mannerisms and actions betray it, after all," Lockhart noted. "Ordinarily, I would hate to part with her, but given First Squad's charge, I thought it might be a better place for her."

"Would you be interested?" Shinji asked, turning to the young woman.

"I would not mind."

"But you're not particularly keen?"

"One assignment is much like another. So long as my skills are being used effectively, and I am respected for what I can do, I do not mind where I go," Emilia stated, her voice quiet but professional.

"Then if you don't mind, I would very much welcome having you in my squad," Shinji said smoothly, with the young woman nodding.

"Splendid," Lockhart said, with a hint of a smile. "I had thought you might say that. Mister Matou, that is about all the time I have today. Miss Emilia has contracts for you and Miss Tohsaka to sign, and can provide more details about your squad's first assignment. Incidentally, since you will be squadmates, you may as well go home together and begin to get use to one another."

"Wait. What."

"I believe your residence is quite capable of accommodating guests, yes?"

"Well, yes, but--" The boy trailed off as something occurred to him. "Did you change your mind about recommending Hilde?" he asked.

"No."

"Then why didn't you let me read over her dossier?"

"Ah, but I did," the First Citizen replied, with Shinji having a sudden premonition of doom as the man said those words. "You not only read it, but invited her onto your squad, right, Hilde?"

"It will be an interesting experience working with you, onmyouji," "Miss Emilia" said with a curtsy, as Shinji's eyes went wide.

"No...I...that...that is...you tricked me, Professor!" he exclaimed, his control leaving him for a moment before curiosity won out over indignation… “Why?"

"Because I am aware of how poorly your interactions with Maeve went, Mister Matou, and I did not want that to influence your impression of Miss Emilia," Lockhart explained reasonably. "Aside from the omission of her alias, the dossier was correct. Indeed, I will personally attest to Miss Emilia having been an invaluable help to the cause of Albion."

"I see." Shinji took a moment to consider this. While he didn't particularly appreciate the deception, given that he thought himself capable of making his own decisions, it was true that if the dossier was accurate, Hilde - or Emilia - or whatever name she went by - had a number of useful talents in areas he lacked. That, and if he went about changing his mind now, after having just invited her to join his squad, it would make him look indecisive, weak - unable to accept the consequences of his own decisions. "Thank you for the clarification. The offer stands, if you will accept it, Miss Emilia. My apologies to you and to the First Citizen for my outburst."

Perhaps his words were a bit stiff, but it was the best he could manage on short order.

"In that case, I expect you both to work together for good of the nation, whatever differences you may have had in the past," Lockhart note mildly. "I trust that will not be too difficult for either of you?"

"...no, sir," Shinji responded, with Emilia nodding.

"Good. Miss Emilia, do make sure to fill Mister Matou in on the details regarding his squad's first mission."

"First mission? Already?"

"Ah, did I not mention it?" the Assassin questioned, with a quirk of his lips. "For your first task, you are being deployed to the Wizarding Academy of the Dramatic Arts, where you are to serve as a protection detail for Miss Hermione Granger, a high-value asset who has agreed to run Radio Free Britain."

"Wa—Hermione?! As in—"

"Indeed, as in the one who was formerly at Hogwarts," Lockhart confirmed. "Under normal circumstances, I would have relocated her, but she refuses to leave the grounds of the Wizarding Academy of the Dramatic Arts, on the basis that she does not deserve special treatment, and is like any other student."

"There's more to the mission than just protecting her, I take it?"

"Yes. I will let Miss Emilia tell you the details, but your objectives, other than keeping her safe, are to persuade her to move to a more secure location and accept a permanent bodyguard."

"I...we don't begin immediately, do we?"

"You have...two weeks to prepare, so the groundwork may be put in place."

"Very well, sir. It will be as you wish."

"I certainly hope so, Mister Matou. For all of our sakes."

Choice 81: How does Shinji explain Miss Emilia's presence to Rin when he comes home?

[ ] (write-in)

Choice 82: Is there anything he wants to ask Hilde, while he's going home with her? (choose up to two)[ ] Why she joined Albion

[ ] What she thinks of...all this
    [ ] Why is she acting so differently
    [ ] Why is she using this as her appearance
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; July 21st, 2019 at 04:05 AM.