Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9141718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer 2019 ANIMU Season - They're summer blockbusters of a sort, alright. Also, it's hot as balls. Crank that AC up.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    I was so salty that sket dance ended with a gosh darn eh nandatte moment

i wonder if himeko is still friendzoned 50 years later

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by weeblord View Post
    I was so salty that sket dance ended with a gosh darn eh nandatte moment

i wonder if himeko is still friendzoned 50 years later
    There's a picture of the three of them grown up and her and the guy have rings on their fingers that the author posted so probably not

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    NOICE, another trauma healed

still wouldve preferred to see it happen in the series
    Last edited by weeblord; September 13th, 2019 at 10:39 AM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just watched episode 8 of Fire Force. So Rekka was the killer then. His over-the-top cheerful demeanour always did strike me as a bit fishy... He doesn't seem to be the one behind Infernalization in general though. Going by his reaction when that kid survived, I bet his organization is looking for a way to cure Infernals or something along those lines and is just willing to resort to really fucked up means to do so.

And poor Tamaki. She not only finds out the lieutenant she idolized and very likely had a crush on was a remorseless murderer, but has said captain brutally beat her to the brink of death, all the while having the audacity to claim she betrayed him. Thank God Shinra arrived to save the day. That scene where he dove down like an avenging angel to stomp Rekka's face in was just ridiculously satisfying.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; September 16th, 2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Corrected title

Blog Entries
    Tonight on DanMachi: Amazons burning.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NMR-3 View Post
    Tonight on DanMachi: Amazons burning.
    Also Ishtar being permabanned.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Nice
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Fruits basket is too good, such delicious pain!

Fire Force Episode 10: So those are all the Captains of the 8 companies. The strongest one out of all of them doesn't really seem to care about anything though.
    Spoiler:
    So Shinra's brother is with the White Clads. And it looks like he's a leader among them.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Going by his reaction when that kid survived, I bet his organization is looking for a way to cure Infernals or something along those lines and is just willing to resort to really fucked up means to do so.
    That's not it at all. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    I like that the strongest captain dresses like traditional Japanese fire fighter. and he kept the old style naming too.

also lol Joker using airpods to eavesdrop.
    Last edited by AmADo VII; September 14th, 2019 at 10:09 AM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    I've been thinking about last Fruits Basket episode the whole day. Good stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    That's not it at all. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.
    I was just going by his talk of "fighting the flames" and how he was trying to find someone who could resist turning into an Infernal. Now that I've watched episode 9 I can see I was totally wrong though. Rekka's not a well intentioned extremist at all, he's just a crazy religious fanatic who wants to turn the world into a second sun.

Frankly, I'm not much of a fan of this show's villains. They tend to come off as one-note psychopaths without any real explanation for why they think or act the way they do. I'm disappointed in Rekka in particular because I thought he could be an interesting examination of how a typical Shonen protagonist (hot-blooded, believes in his friends, etc) might act if he were on the wrong side, but that was ruined by just making him a generic religious fanatic with incomprehensible motives. If we got more of a clue why he believed in these ideals so highly he was willing to sacrifice so many people for them Rekka might've come off as a convincingly tragic villain, instead of just another scumbag for Shinra to kick to kingdom come. I guess that's expecting too much from an ultimately pretty minor villain who really just exists to kickstart the next story arc, but I'm a little disappointed nonetheless.

His fight with Shinra was certainly epic, in any case. That three-kick combo Shinra pulled on him in the air was so awesome looking. Though I agree with bassgs though that the fanservice moments with Tamaki were grossly out of place. Like, the poor girl is traumatized from seeing her beloved lieutenant about to murder her, and literally a few moments later she's blushing and yelling at Shinra for accidentally falling on her boobs. It was jarring as hell. Especially when the crying scene last week was such a good moment for Tamaki. You could practically see all her feelings of rage, sorrow and betrayal against Rekka swirling around inside her as she desperately tried to put on a brave face despite her tears. Then this episode comes along and completely undermines it with dumb ecchi pratfalls.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; September 16th, 2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Corrected title

The scene where her clothes are burnt and her powers are activated is honestly the worst for me. She doesn't look pitiful, she looks like a page from a hentai doujin. Honestly, I think I could have handled the fan service more if she had actually done something. Get the kids to safety, serve as support for Shinra. Instead just crying and fan service, where was the competence you showed in the battle with Joker???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    The scene where her clothes are burnt and her powers are activated is honestly the worst for me. She doesn't look pitiful, she looks like a page from a hentai doujin. Honestly, I think I could have handled the fan service more if she had actually done something. Get the kids to safety, serve as support for Shinra. Instead just crying and fan service, where was the competence you showed in the battle with Joker???
    Yeah, that was just bad. I can appreciate a sexy catgirl in her underwear as much as any man, but that was neither the time nor the place. I agree it would've been way cooler if Tamaki had been able to support Shinra and they'd fought Rekka together. Heck, they still could've included wacky fanservice shenanigans, like maybe Tamaki and Shinra do a tag-team attack together and afterwards he accidentally falls on her breasts. That would've still been goofy and dumb but it wouldn't feel nearly as mean-spirited as having an emotionally and physically brutalized Tamaki cowering half-naked in the corner while Shinra fights.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries

Freya does things to me.

Bell's Falcon Punch looked good and his rematch with Aisha was fluid; pity all of the shock waves and Uchide no Kozuki and so on were so low budget.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a pity that you see Allen being a prick to everyone except the prostitute he nailed one day who thought he'd set her free; he was a good example of the quote unquote standard Hero in the LN.

- - - Updated - - -

As a glasses wearer, I approve of this episode of Dr. Stone.
    Last edited by Rafflesiac; September 14th, 2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Time for Tanjiro and Co power up. Total Concentration Breathing will make them Pillars successor (implying there are more demon than Kuzan and his "kids") The anime probably end when they leave the training house and appear at train station
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Blog Entries
    Just watched episode 9 of Dr. Stone this morning. So that creepy guy from the OP has finally showed up. He's a "mentalist" and overall sleazebag who only cares about himself. Makes me wonder why Tsukasa revived somebody like him in the first place. I have to say, from his creepy looks I expected Gen to be an outright villain, but he's much more interesting as an ambiguous/amoral ally whose willing to side with Senku for his own interests. He seems to be impressed enough by Senku's inventions to side with him for now, but since the next episode is called "Uneasy Alliance" I have a sneaking suspicion his loyalty isn't exactly assured...

Senku's "mankind conquered the darkness" speech was really epic. Though I can't help but feel his invention is a bit bittersweet. You know those gorgeous shots of the star-speckled sky you see in practically every scene at night? Yeah, those only exist because of darkness. Once artificial light sources become commonplace again you can kiss those starry night skies goodbye.

Of course most people would agree that scientific progress is good overall (unless you liked dying of dysentery), but it's important to recognize that beautiful things can be lost along the way if you're not careful. I love this show for these kinds of "science fuck yeah!" moments, but it would be nice if it acknowledged the more bittersweet side of innovation sometimes as well...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Watching Hensuki whilst eating chips and hot salsa got me wondering: What do masochists think of spicy food?

Blog Entries
    So I just watched episode 9 of Astra Lost In Space. Holy crap, that twist at the end caught me totally off-guard. I called that they were all clones, but I never would've guessed that none of the kids were from Earth to begin with. That's like a reverse Planet of the Apes twist. It explains why Polina was so surprised when she found out Earth was still around in 2063, because it wasn't "Earth" at all. For all we know the Earth Polina came from could be destroyed by now.

I just wonder if there's some alternate universe stuff going on, or if the kids were just part of a colony or something sent to occupy another earthlike planet and just eventually forgot where they came from. Could also be time-travel, with "Astra" being the earth in the far future when continents have shifted and whatnot. I also doubt the parents are the real mastermind behind all this. There's something deeper going on here, and it's suspicious even the supposed masterminds don't seem to understand where that weird teleportation orb they used came from. At this point I wouldn't rule out aliens being behind the whole thing.

On a lighter note, Zack and Quitterie announcing their engagement was hilarious. Zack's stonefaced delivery of cheesy romantic lines and the rest of the crew reacting to him like they were in a Shonen battle manga was comedy gold. I'd heard that in the manga the engagement scene happened earlier, right after Zack confessed to her and they left Planet Icriss, but I think it works much better like this.

Seeing all the main cast goofing around after all the angst and dramatic reveals was really refreshing. Though it does lead to a slight contradiction where Aries noted in her ship log last week that Zack and Quitterie were getting engaged, but still ends up as surprised as everyone else when they announce it in this episode. Oh well, that's a pretty trivial detail.
    Last edited by RoydGolden; September 18th, 2019 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added more thoughts

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    The Astras are all good kids.
    And that's the best way to sum up this very enjoyable show.

Well done, Kanata no Astra - from a mediocre start you managed to end as one of the top shows of the season.