Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discworld

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Hey, never read the books before, I've only heard of Discworld in passing and I'm interested in possibly reading some of the books.

Could you guys basically explain what it's all about? And maybe tell me which one I should pick to read first?

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    It's basically a set of stories about a world where weird shit happens. That's about the closest I can get to describing it.

If you wanna go into more detail, it basically tells the stories of a few different people in that world, and how they change it, often with a satirical and (I thought) rather sarcastic look at people in the real world.

There's the witches, who live off in the mountains and deal with problems there, there's the City Watch books, where you basically get the police's perspective on the main city, there's a few books that deal with either Death himself, or his daughter, his apprentice or his granddaughter, there's the Moist Von Lipwig books, where a former conman is conned into important jobs in the city, the Wizard's Tower books, where it focuses on either Rincewind, the most cowardly failure of a wizard ever, or the rest of the wizards, and... have I forgotten anyone?

There's no completely necessary reading order, but it's recommended you go generally by timeline. Wikipedia puts it better than me.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Well said, eddyak. When in doubt, wiki it out.

I personally find Discworld to be like a microcosm of our world... if we lived on a disc on the back of a giant turtle and magic was an everyday thing.

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    have I forgotten anyone?
    Time monks I think.
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thief of Time, the first Discworld book I read...and also my favorite.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    Time monks I think.
    It's history monks.

And that's another awesome thing about Discworld. No need to worry over perceived plotholes, if something seems odd, it's History Monks.

And that's Word of God.