Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 121720212223242732 ... LastLast

Thread: A Chain of Debt (A Matou Shinji AU Quest)

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Change vote to
    [x]​What is the most interesting mission Adewale has ever been on for the ICW?

Blog Entries
    [x] How does one end up working for the ICW?

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]​What is the most interesting mission Adewale has ever been on for the ICW?

Adewale paused for a moment as if considering his answer, with his lips curving into a slight smile as he took a deep breath.

"The most interesting, you ask?" he echoed, with Matou Shinji nodding. "You want to know about a time when I went to strange places, met odd people, and did unspeakable things?" the man chuckled. "Well, I've done plenty of that in my career, but I think what you want to hear about is a story that has never been published, one of those that happened over fifty years ago, during the height of the Great Wizarding War."

The man shook his head.

"So, in the days of Grindelwald then?"

"Yes," the man confirmed, closing his eyes. "Now, I could speak of the time I infiltrated Nurmengard and assassinated one of his chief lieutenants, though I don't think there would be enough action here to satisfy most of you. Likewise, you wouldn't know much of the politics of America, so no doubt you would know little of the tragedy of the Dread Lord of New Orleans and the Child of Wisdom. I think...I will tell you of something that happened in a place called Transylvania, far to the East, one of the lands whose Ministry Grindelwald had crushed early in his reign."

"Transylvania - isn't that..."

"...it was the birthplace of Vlad III, the man who later became known as 'the Impaler', yes, though that was centuries ago, and hardly relevant except for the fact that Grindelwald had Elder Vampires serving as his allies - Apostles, I believe they were called."

The man opened his eyes as he chuckled.

"You have all likely heard of Nurmengard, but what you probably don't know is that Grindelwald had other prisons. Places where he kept interesting captives, like particularly powerful Aurors or influential politicians, and worked on converting them into assets who would serve as sleeper agents within the ranks of his enemies once they 'escaped' and were 'rescued' by ICW forces. He wiped away any memory of encountering him from their minds, of course, so their testimonies - under Veritaserum - never included useful information about him, or even that they were acquainted with him. In the early days, the first sign of his treachery would be the sleeper awakening."

"Awakening?"

"When the orders he or she had been given came into play, usually resulting in the kidnapping or assassination of someone like a Minister or the head of law enforcement by someone they trusted," Adewale responded. "In the very few cases the sleeper failed to carry out their mission, they were killed, making it rather hard to question them about what happened. Naturally, the Confederation was rather alarmed by this, so they took the unorthodox step of hiring a necromancer to look into the situation and trace where they had been in the months before their deaths. What they found was vague, but pointed us towards Transylvania, so they sent an agent to investigate. Someone who had seen the worst of what the Continent had to offer, and had lived through it all."

"You."

"Me," the Director agreed. "But then, it wasn't that hard of a mission. All I needed to do was go to Transylvania without being detected by Grindelwald's forces, find and destroy the compound where these high priority captives were being turned into sleeper agents for Grindelwald, neutralize any opposition, and rescue the prisoners, if possible."

"Did you happen to meet any beautiful women?" came a question from one of the older students, with one of the student's peers giving him a look. "What? It's a fair question!"

"There may have been one or two," the man replied candidly. "I did stay at several inns and taverns, encountering fellow travelers and such. Two even aided me in my journey, for reasons I do not quite know."

"Two?"

"A man and his student. I believe their names were Hassan and Sabah."

Matou Shinji almost fell over in shock, but somehow managed to remain upright.

"I don't suppose they were from the middle east, were they?" the boy asked, almost in a whisper.

"They indeed hailed from Persia, yes, though I met them in Istanbul."

"Istanbul?" Shinji echoed. "What were you doing there?"

"Why, I was on my way to Bulgaria, of course, and from there, Romania."

What does Shinji want to know more about?

[ ]
    Hassan and Sabah
    [ ] The...Apostles
    [ ] The sleeper agents
    [ ] Let the man continue, explanations will surely come in due time
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 10th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[x] Let the man continue, explanations will surely come in due time

Lots of questions, but no knowledge that we can actually act upon.

Blog Entries
    [x] Let the man continue, explanations will surely come in due time

[x]Let the man continue, explanations will surely come in due time

[X] Hassan and Sabah

I am interested in this.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]Let the man continue, explanations will surely come in due time

The man continues, spinning a tale of intrigue, seduction, derring-do, and unlikely team-ups, with Hassan and Sabah saving his life by slaying an Apostle who was quite cross with him for trespassing on his domain - a fearsome vampire whose gaze could freeze a wizard in place, could move with preternatural speed, and commanded the might of the wind itself (which was apparently how the vampire had caught him snooping about to begin with, since no matter how stealthy Adewale could be, he needed to breathe).

The first he'd been aware of the vampire's presence was when the monster had destroyed his wand and used the pressure of the air to lock him in place, with the master of the castle only appearing once he was rendered quite helpless.

Questions had come as to who Adewale worked for, why he had trespassed upon the domain of a Dead Apostle (which implied that there was some Master they served, or that they glorified death), when the last cretin to come to these lands had promised that no...wizard (and here the fiend had seemed almost amused) under his sway would come into Transylvania. Adewale had refused to answer, even under the compulsion of that terrible golden gaze, something which felt stronger than Vertiaserum, which had amused the vampire at first, but eventually made the foe grow irritated when he would not break.

In the end, the foe had leaned in, fangs bared so that it could turn him into one of the Dead - ("or perhaps something greater, who knows?"), only for the body of the vampire to slump to the floor, with its severed head striking the floor a moment later, as two figures in dark robes and skull-like masks simply appeared out of thin air.

"Death Eaters?!" one of the girls in the class shrieked. "But why - what - "

"I do not believe they were such, though even if they were, I would have taken their help."

"Huh? Why?"

"Because one should not fight more than one enemy at a time, if one can help it," the old man stated. "Especially when they casually defeat a foe that is beyond you. Even then, I had only sought to run, at worst."

Indeed, Adewale had jerked back, nearly falling to the ground since the solidified air around him was no longer so solid with the vampire's death, only to be stopped when the smaller of the two blurred, setting him upright.

"Be not afraid, Adewale," a familiar voice had said, with the larger of the two removing his mask to reveal the face of Hassan, who apparently was not merely a traveler, but a dangerous operative from some unknown faction. "I am no enemy of yours, nor an ally to the allies of this dead thing. I had wondered who was responsible for the unrest in these parts, but to think that an Apostle is involved, or perhaps more than one. Hopefully not an Elder."

"An...Elder?" Adewale had questioned. "You mean a vampire that is nearing the end of its natural life?" Which was, as all knew, approximately 200 years."

Hassan and Sabah had looked at one another.

"This variety has no natural lifespan, because they are not born, but made," Sabah had explained. "They are in theory immortal, though without ingesting human blood, they will decay."

"That..." Adewale had needed a moment for that to sink in. "That sounds like incredibly dark magic." He'd swallowed. "Has Grindelwald been--"

"These existed long before Grindelwald, and will exist after. They are well hidden, so one wonders how your enemy found them."

"My enemy?" Adewale had questioned. "He is not your enemy as well?"

"No, but neither is he our friend," Hassan had said firmly. "Not if he is allied to...Apostles." The man had paused for a moment. "You seem to have a nose for trouble, and I would not mind an extra pair of hands to assist in our mission, if you would be willing."

"Only if you assist with mine."

"A fair condition."

He'd accepted, and so the mission had proceeded, with the vampire's chambers giving some hints that they followed to another stronghold, then to a village of ensorceled Squibs, to an outpost inhabited by one of Grindelwald's supporters, and finally the great stronghold/prison where the sleepers were being created, courtesy of old blood.

"What happened next?"

"We defeated the vampires and evacuated the hostages before Grindelwald himself showed up to oppose us."

"...you fought him, then?" one of the redheads asked.

"As much as any man can fight a force of nature," the man admitted. "For all my skill, I was crushed in an instant."

"Your allies?"

"They could not get past the man's wall of flames, and the beasts of fire he conjured," Adewale noted quietly. "Sabah managed to cripple him with a thrown knife, but the flames..."

"And Hassan?"

"He had a choice. Kill a man who was not strictly speaking, his enemy, while leaving us to die, or save his student and myself."

"He chose the latter."

"He did. He possessed a magical ring which allowed him to manipulate the earth around him, and used it to create a shelter for all of us - and to help us tunnel out of the area blighted by the flames. Grindelwald managed able to escape, no doubt believing the flames would be enough to end us, but he failed." He shook his head. "We lived. Sometimes, it still seems unbelievable, especially since I never saw those two again after that night. The only piece of evidence that they existed at all...well, there are two things."

"Oh?"

"A black knife I retrieved from the site some time later...and a ring that was left for me to aid me in my battles."

"Did it?" Shinji found himself asking. "Help, I mean."

"It did. At times, I think it is only due to that ring that I am still alive, especially with the enemies I encountered in my time with the Army of Light."

"What happened to it?"

"In time, I passed it down to my son, and him to his own son, who seems to be quite the budding adventurer. Perhaps it will keep him alive, as it once aided me."

What is Shinji's reaction?

[ ] The Apostles...Hassan...that couldn't be...
    [ ] This all seems a bit contrived
    [ ] The fire effect Grindelwald used could be quite useful...
    [ ] ...is it possible to learn such powers?
    [ ] Blink in surprise. He hadn't thought the Assassins survived till the modern day - and say as much

Later that night, as the roommates compared notes about their experiences, a jubilant Ron Weasley offers to let Shinji borrow his Wizard Unite glasses if he wants to give the game a try, mentioning that it was bloody brilliant, and that he'd managed to take down a troll singlehandedly through nothing but his wits and Wingardium Leviosa. Quirrell had apparently noted the achievement and had awarded him double the points, with the boy being overjoyed at the recognition.

"You know, Granger ain't that much of a bint when you save her bacon," he said. "Said she would owe me one. But what should I ask for?"

[ ] Help with his studies
    [ ] For her to partner up with him for Wizards Unite
    [ ] Hold the favor in reserve for now
    [ ] Something else (write-in)

Ron also offers to lend Shinji his Wizard Unite Glasses when he isn't using them, so the other boy can try them out, since he needed to study sometimes. Of course, it would boost Ron's score in WU if Shinji did well, but Shinji would get some of the benefits of WU without needing to commit to it.

[ ] Accept the Offer
    [ ] Don't Accept
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; December 16th, 2019 at 01:14 PM.
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

Blog Entries
    [x] ...is it possible to learn such powers?

Path of self-interest, dear old friend.

[x] Hold the favor in reserve for now
    [x] Accept the Offer

[X] The Apostles...Hassan...that couldn't be...

I like that Shinji sees connections to moonlight world but does not voice it NOW while others are listening. After all knowing about order of assassins would looks weird. That being said the power option works too.

[X] Help with his studies

Ron admit what you are weak on and seek help. Has the side benefit of making Hermione busy with helping Ron for her to bug Shinji. Two birds, one stone.

[X] Accept the Offer

I am not really seeing much of a benefit other than having a platform where we can practice sneaking since we don't care about having to fight every monster for points.

[x]...Is it possible to learn such powers?
    [x]Help with his studies
    [x]Accept the offer

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]...Is it possible to learn such powers?
    [x]Help with his studies
    [x]Accept the offer

Matou Shinji wasn't sure if his classmates were aware of the implications of everything that the Director had said - of how the people that he'd worked with on his mission were almost certainly Assassins, of how they had slain a Dead Apostle who was apparently a wind magus, of the fact that the ring almost certainly had the might of some elemental spirit bound to it.

"...did you manage to learn any of the things they could do?" the boy asked, finding himself leaning forward, his mouth dry. "Those powers, I mean."

"Do you mean the shadow-working, my companions' ability to hide the presence, the vampire's facility with wind...?"

"Any of it?" the boy questioned. "Is it possible to learn such powers? For a practitioner of witchcraft, I mean."

"You are implying there are other sorts of magic users?" the Director asked, raising an eyebrow at the unusual term the boy had used in place of wizard. "Other than wizards and magical creatures?"

"Well...aren't there?" Shinji asked, in place of what he wanted to say, as he realizing too late that perhaps drawing attention to his origins might not be entirely wise.

"The Confederation does not officially acknowledge the existence of any such," the Director replied, which didn't really tell the boy very much that he didn't already know - and did not actually answer his question. "That said, the abilities attributed to wizards across the continents are quite vast indeed."

"How so?" the redhead asked. "Don't all wizards use wands and the same basic spells?"

Adewale chuckled at the question.

"No," he answered.

The man went on to explain how at Uagadou, the African school, students were notified of their acceptance to Uagadou via Dream Messenger, which found students as they slumbered, and deposited a carved stone into their hands, instead of using owls. He also noted how instruction was largely focused on magic that could be done without wands, since wands were only recently introduced into the curriculum about a hundred or so years ago. Indeed, only after their equivalent of the OWL were they exposed to wands, and then as useful tools, not as a replacement for what they learned.

"But what can you possibly do without a wand?" another student asked, with the man smiling.

"Oh, a few things," the man said with a touch of amusement. "One can brew potions, transfigure items - and people, cast curses or defensive spells, divine the future, and more."

The student blinked.

"B-but that's exactly the same as what you can do with a wand!" she protested.

"Yes, it is," the man confirmed. "In Europe, most of the wizarding community turned to wands as a way to enhance their abilities, but there are other ways. Some communities instill unique patterns of thought. Some use the body as as the basis of magic - and how one breathes and walks and moves. Some create tools and items into which to channel their power - the far East using paper talismans called ofuda, or the South Americans more permanent amulets. Each method is better than others in certain respects, and inferior in others - there is single path that is best."

"B-but that's not--"

"Not what you were taught?" Adewale questioned. "Then perhaps it is a good thing that Hogwarts' certification as a Confederation recognized institution of learning is up for review."

"What does that mean, exactly?" Shinji asked. "Up for review, I mean."

"It means that evaluators from the Confederation will be visiting the school, sitting in on classes, interviewing students and looking over the syllabi to see if what is being taught is acceptable by our standards."

"Why is that important?"

"A graduate from one of the 11 schools recognized by the Confederation will be acknowledged as a competent wizard by all of the nations belonging to the Confederation - as well as by the Confederation itself - with their credentials and certifications being recognized wherever one goes. This is important if one wishes to travel to another country, for business or pleasure, or to work abroad, without having one's tools confiscated or being detained and examined immediately upon entry and detection."

"Examined? Confiscated?"

"At Britain, for example, if you do not pass your OWLs, or some equivalent, you may not own a wand or practice magic," Adewale explained. "As a Uagaou graduate, I did not take my exams in Britain, and so without reciprocity, Law Enforcement would be obliged to attempt to detain me if I attempted to practice magic - if they could catch me. Certainly, I would not be legally allowed to work in this country, not without taking time to take a British version of tests I already took."

"...I see," the redhead noted. "So if Hogwarts was to lose its status..."

"Then you would not be recognized as a competent practitioner outside of Britain, without having to pass a regional exam you likely would be unable to, due to language or other issues. In that state, you would likely not be allowed to practice magic at all, else you be considered a criminal for unauthorized use of magic."

"That's horrible!"

"Yes, but that is how the world works," the man noted. "Which is why the Confederation has recognized certain centers of learning and the training they provide as being reasonably equivalent - and why we periodically review each of the schools to ensure they meet our standards. If you merely wish to remain in Wizarding Britain for the remainder of your natural life, this doesn't matter, but if you wish to leave for any reason at all..."

"This reciprocity also allows for some unique opportunities," Leonardo cut in. "Such as the exchange programs a number of schools run, or to allow you to transfer between schools if needed. And now that the Director has opened the door to traditions in other lands, if any of you have any desire to study abroad, do remember that best students in my class - from each year - will be offered the chance to do so, with expenses generously covered by the Confederation."

"Indeed," Adewale noted. "Quite an opportunity, as otherwise exchange students must pay all fees out of pocket, and the expense can be ruinous."

Shinji decides to help Ron, and during his nightly wanders, he finds a few creatures out and about when looking through the Wizards Unite lenses. One potential encounter is with a manticore that a handful of beleaguered first and second years are trying to fight, with little success. One is with a pack of gytrashes stalking the halls of Hogwarts. And the last...the last is a dragon in the Great Hall that a group of 20 or so - no, make that 18, after a particularly nasty breath attack - are attempting to deal with.

Does Shinji choose to try his skills against any of these?

[ ] Manticore
    [ ] Gytrash pack
    [ ] Dragon

[x]Gytrash pack

Blog Entries
    [x] Gytrash pack.

Let's start low, we don't have quite the skills for big monsters yet. And these guys can be dangerous enough if left unchecked.

Plus, shouldn't it be "Shinji the Unseen (and probably Unsung too) Hero" who takes care of spectral hounds?
    Last edited by Daiki; December 25th, 2019 at 01:50 AM.

[X] Manticore

Gytrash pack sounds like it would be taking it on solo. Which Phelan and Ernie failed at in BfaS. I rather fight in a group and gain favor with them. Thus help with the manticore. The other one sounds WAY too dangerous.

[X] Gytrash pack

Ok looking at HP lore. manticore are just plain OP and mean as hell. No way can any 1st fight them even in mass numbers. I think this would be a hard fight with older students at the normal level of Hogwarts ability.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; December 27th, 2019 at 12:46 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Gytrash pack

Well, what's your strategy? You're in one of the larger hallways on the third floor, with the pack pushing you towards the Forbidden Corridor, as some call it.

[ ] (write-in)

Blog Entries
    [X] Cast Lumos and retreat to find assistance if able to take them out, otherwise retreat to a safe area like the dorms and live another day.

Alright I guess living another day is good too. Preserving Ron's points is probably more important than losing all in a potential failed action.
    Last edited by Daiki; December 28th, 2019 at 02:44 AM.

[X] Cast Lumos and retreat to find assistance if able to take them out, otherwise retreat to a safe area like the dorms and live another day.

Fighting them by yourself is a bit fool hardy to me. After all the best tool against them is Lumos but you will not be able to attack them with it. So unless you find another, best to keep them at bay and retreat. If you really want to fight them, go ahead but its a pack and you can only attack so many at once.

If those were our points i would be all in for the huge Kaiji-like gamble. But the retreat is the better option for now.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

After assessing the situation and his combat abilities, the boy quickly realized that alone, he didn't quite have the chops to defeat an entire group of gytrashes. He could...no, he couldn't escape, as the gytrashes had moved to cut him off from retreat - pushing him back into the Forbidden Corridor.

Perhaps if he were more foolhardy than most, he would try pushing past them while shooting red sparks, but since it wasn't his points on the line, but Ronald's (and he didn't feel like owing the redhead anything), the boy figured caution was more prudent than recklessness.

So he found himself casting Lumos and retreating, backing further and further in the Forbidden Corridor until his back was up against the great door at the end of it, with the spectral hounds slavering as they prowled just beyond the circle of light his spell cast, knowing they had cornered their prey.

What could he do? Call for help? Who would even be out and about at this time of--

As he was thinking this, a pure, white light blazed as bright as the sun from the end of the hallway, with the hounds recoiling from the sudden onslaught, howling and baying, though not for long, as they soon evaporated entirely, their essences burned up.

"You alright there?" a voice spoke from within the light.

"Who?" Shinji asked, trying to shield his eyes.

"Oh, right, terribly sorry," the voice replied, with the light fading to reveal the figure of an older boy. Not a Slytherin either, he thought. "Robert Hillard, prefect of Ravenclaw. Out doing some late night hunting?"

"Something like that," Shinji grumbled. "...thanks for the help."

"Think nothing of it. With the game afoot, helping out firsties and others in over their heads is just one more duty to handle. Though at least the castle is livelier at night."

"Ah."

"I'm going back on patrol, but did you need an escort back to your dorm? Or if you'd rather, you could join me for a bit - I'm sure there will be good hunting, if you do."

[ ] Get an escort back to Slytherin
    [ ] Join him for a patrol
    [ ] Thank the boy, but decline the offer