Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91417181920212429 ... LastLast

Thread: A Chain of Debt (A Matou Shinji AU Quest)

Blog Entries
    [x] Agree, and try to improve
    [x] Being able to cast without words

Learning stealth casting matters more than the actual spell here. You need to start somewhere so if we have the opportunity for it, why not?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Agree, and try to improve
    [x]Being able to cast without words

Power and speed of spell can gradually improve as Shinji gets older so having a head start on learning to cast without words seem the better choice.

[X] Agree, and try to improve[X] Casting Speed

Let's not go nuts and try to cast a fire spell without words. Sure would be cool but I rather not things get out of hand. But you can go ahead and try for that I understand. I rather attempt to go for speed as he who has the fastest hand in the west, stays alive. It goes with that gambler vibe. Cardshark six-shooter Cowboy.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]Agree, and try to improve
    [x]Being able to cast without words

What after class really meant in this case was joining the reclusive Lord Black, his wife, and his children for dinner. Apparently, Draco and his godfather had an understanding that so long as Draco wasn't his student (that was, wasn't taking one of his classes), the man was fine with giving the boy some extra instruction - provided, of course, that Draco helped out with the children or with other chores.

Some of these chores involved helping with the kitchen, and well, Draco remembered Shinji's "potion," so he figured the other boy would be helpful to have around.

"Can you tell me about your godfather?" Shinji asked.

"Father says Uncle Severus is a war hero, a spy who infiltrated the Dark Lord's inner circle, freed the people that he had enthralled, and led him to his demise. The books say he is the greatest trickster and master of mind magic since Merlin himself."

"...and what does your Uncle say?" Shinji asked, as he had trouble picturing a hero as a teacher of...muggle studies.

"That the books are rubbish and people know nothing, because he's no hero," Draco said reluctantly. "I think he's just being modest though. With everything he did, he should be proud. Because of him and Lily Potter, a decade long war was brought to an end."

Shinji was silent for a minute.

"Maybe," the boy allowed. "I don't know if your uncle was a hero or not. I'm sure he did many great and terrible things, but just doing those things doesn't mean you'll feel like you deserve to be praised."

"...i suppose," Draco grunted. "So, you want to help watch the children or cook?"

"Huh?"

"If I have to work to get lessons from Uncle Severus, you're not going to learn for free."

"...that's fair," Shinji grumbled. "There a reason you didn't invite Granger?"

"Ah...she's..." Draco paused. "Not the sort to do anything not written in a book."

"And that's bad for housework because...?"

"Aunt Andromeda doesn't follow the recipes she has in her cookbooks. And isn't always careful to put salt and sugar in the right containers."

"Ohhh." Shinji winced. "Ah, so..."

"I may think cooking is house-elf work, but if I have to do it and eat what I make, it may as well end up tasting good. Not..." Draco made a face. "How do you make curry taste like pumpkin and butterbeer? Or make ice cream a mass of salt?"

Shinji almost gagged as he imagined the stench of pumpkin what a pumpkin curry might tast like.

"...I...I don't know."

[ ] Help twins with homework
    [ ] Help in Kitchen
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[ ] Help in Kitchen

[x]Help in Kitchen

[X] Help in Kitchen

Not really the role I want Shinji to do, but I am not sure he has the skill needed to A) Handle the twins without incident and B) Able to entertain the twins without resorting to cards. And mind reading Twins...yeah not a easy mark.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; October 13th, 2019 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    [x] Help in Kitchen

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x] Help in Kitchen

And with regard to your skill, do you...

[ ] Tell Severus, who is cooking, what your proficiency level is
    [ ] Exaggerate slightly
    [ ] Talk big - surely you won't be asked to do anything too difficult
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Tell Severus, who is cooking, what your proficiency level is

This is Shinji so it pretty much guaranteed that he will bloated his tale a tad but Shinji already was told that Lord Black here does not like ass kisses that overinflate themselves so now is not the time to talk big. Just give him the facts.

Blog Entries
    [x] Tell Severus, who is cooking, what your proficiency level is.

[x]Tell Severus, who is cooking, what your proficiency level is

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries

One of the general guidelines to cooking with someone else was that one should not lie about one's skill (or lack thereof) in the kitchen, as doing so tended to lead to ruined meals and a good number of people being upset - so Matou Shinji, for once, chose not to exaggerate, being upfront about his deficits in the kitchen.

"Yes, I did make chicken soup, or something like it, for Professor Slughorn's Potions class," he admitted sheepishly. "But that's really about it. I can make some really basic things, like rice or pasta, but that's about it."

Lord Severus Black just stared at him.

"You did not cook at home?" the Muggle Studies professor asked.

"...no, sir. Not when I don't have to."

Lord Black sighed.

"Then I will have you on potato peeling duty," the man said after a moment. "After all, one can never have too much practice with a knife."

During dinner, one of the Black children - Alberio or some such - has a question for Shinji.

"Why do you hate your family?" the boy asked. "And who is Tohsaka?"

Shinji stiffened, as Malfoy raised an eyebrow, and Andromeda scolded her child for using legilimency on a guest.

[ ] Say nothing
    [ ] Say that it is complicated and he'd rather not talk about it
    [ ] Mention that Tohsaka was his benefactor, who got him out from under the roof of a drunkard and a liar
    [ ] Mention that every Tohsaka he has met is cruel and conniving, with one taking his rightful place and one ensnaring him in debt
    [ ] Make something up
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; October 15th, 2019 at 12:10 PM.

[ ] Mention that Tohsaka was his benefactor, who got him out from under the roof of a drunkard and a liar

Blog Entries
    [x] Say that it is complicated and he'd rather not talk about it.

I'm kinda curious about Severus' reaction if we go with drunkard/muggle dad background too.

[x]Say that it is complicated and he'd rather not talk about it

[X] Say that it is complicated and he'd rather not talk about it

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [x]Say that it is complicated and he'd rather not talk about it

What does he talk about instead?

[ ] Ask what it must be like to casually read people's thoughts
    [ ] Ask the children about the chores they do
    [ ] Compliment Lord Black on his lovely family
    [ ] Ask why Lord Black teaches Muggle Studies
    [ ] (Write-in)