Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1520232425262730 ... LastLast

Thread: A Chain of Debt (A Matou Shinji AU Quest)

[X] Asking Ana if she would be willing to take him as her guest during the Team Mystic weekend - no sense taking an unnecessary risk

Might cut into profits but a partner is not a horrible thing. She did help us way back at the start. So let us solve some of the biggest issues with us getting caught by asking Ana.

[X] Yes

if you are picking Ana, yes our (bird)partner in crime will clearly be helpful. If we have to hide ourselves in a crowd of kids cause we sneaked into the group, having such a pretty, and special bird will be an huge issue as she is not unknown to people.

[X] Potions - with competition being what it is, a bit of liquid enhancement would no doubt be helpful to some...

Ideally I would pick up a bit of candy as well but really we need to become the SHOPKEEPER of hogwarts. Especially while people are in battle fighting monsters. Monsters that can't attack us.

"What you Buying?" says the boy in the shadows.

[X] Lady Black, Ana, Zabini, Minor gifts to Ron and draco (use a little of their money we got from them)

We could go more on the Black family but I figure we should at least put the bulk towards Lady Black as she is the person that most helping Shinji on a long term path. Ana and Zabini are the two that we most hanged around with and want to use as our associates. Draco and Ron so that we can keep peace in our dorm rooms and so far it has been profitable helping them.

As for a gift for Rin, I am on the fence. Like really what is going to impress her? She not going to value a gift so what is the point unless we think we must send a gift to keep her from being annoyed with Shinji.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; February 23rd, 2020 at 02:02 PM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    [x]Asking Ana if she would be willing to take him as her guest during the Team Mystic weekend-no sense taking an unnecessary risk

[x]No

[x]Potions-with competitionbeing what it is, a bit of liquid enhancement would no doubt be helpful to some...

[x]Get gifts for the Black twins and have some chocolate/candies to hand out if needed

Blog Entries
    [x] Sneaking into Hogsmeade via one of the tunnels during the Team Mystic weekend, where the presence of first years will not be unusual.

Although the Ana choice is not bad, it inherently implies risking our cover with the granddaughter of a teacher, and as much as we know Ana, in-story Shinji has no reason to think she wouldn't sell him out unless he can offer compensation of some sort.

We're trying to solve debts, not owing people more than we should, so I'm going with that one. If she spots us (or another member of the team does), we can always negotiate with them when we reach that point.

[x] No

If spotted, Kaching would give us away. The only specimen at school after all.

[x] Candy - Honeydukes is a very popular brand among Hogwarts students, and there is always a demand.

Rather than risk big, I would rather go the slow and steady approach here.

Getting caught with candies from honeydukes is easier to explain, than "dangerous" (according to Filch) prank toys or potion stuff.

[x] Nobody.

I don't like the idea of being cheap like that but this is no special event. As such, what would be a good reason to get gifts at this point? If it's for the sake of bonus character scores, I would wait to be close enough to someone to get them anything outside of commonly accepted events that justify buying presents.

We have to keep things in character too, imo.
    Last edited by Daiki; February 24th, 2020 at 01:07 AM.

The Dread Nekomancer alfheimwanderer's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Which approach seems most ideal? [x] Asking Ana if she would be willing to take him as her guest during the Team Mystic weekend - no sense taking an unnecessary risk

Bring the Diricrawl? [x] No

That aside, there is the question of what to buy for resale to the student population... [x] Potions - with competition being what it is, a bit of liquid enhancement would no doubt be helpful to some...

Gifts? No real consensus...

And so it is that Matou Shinji finds himself at the door of Ravenclaw Tower, rather befuddled by the question the door knocker posed. Namely: what kind of coat is always wet when you put it on?

So far, he'd tried raincoat, a soaked coat, and various permutations thereof, but the infernal device kept telling him that he was wrong.

...and thus that he was not worthy of setting foot into the common room of the Ravenclaws.

'What is it?!'
    he seethed, his teeth gnashing together in frustration as a mere piece of bronze continued to goad and to mock him, asking if he would prefer to turn around and leave, since he obviously had no place here. He'd show this damned knocker, he would. Maybe he'd take his wand out and...

...and what? He knew no spells that could even charitably be titled blasting or explosive, and even if he did, he imagined that he would leave a very bad impression if someone opened the door and was hit in the face by one of his spells while he was trying to vent.

'There has to be answer. There has to be. It's...it's...'

"A coat of paint," a familiar-sounding voice said from beside him, with Shinji's jaw dropping as the door...opened without protest at the answer provided by... "Oh, hullo. Matou, was it?"

"...yes," Matou Shinji agreed. "It was. And you were..." Grey hair, green eyes. Seems winded. "Wroxton, right?"

"You remembered," the other boy noted. "Can't say I expected that."

"Well, it's not every student that has another for a minder, you know," Shinji replied glibly. "Details like that tend to stick in one's mind." Though now that he mentioned it... "Speaking of Sokaris...I notice she's not with you tonight?"

"We aren't joined at the hip, you know," Nigel chuckled. "And while I may have my frailties, I am capable of getting around Hogwarts without too much assistance." He raised an eyebrow as he looked at the Japanese boy. "And while we're on the topic of getting around, what brings you to Ravenclaw?"

"Uh..."

"An evening rendezvous, perhaps?" the grey-haired boy joked. "Or a study group meeting?"

"...neither?"

"Let me be blunt then. Who are you looking for?"

"...what makes you think I'm looking for someone?" Shinji questioned, shifting uneasily under Nigel's regard.

"The fact that you were standing outside the door for a while, and are hesitating to go in now that it's open?" the other boy asked in turn.

"Fine. I'm looking for Ana Spencer," the Japanese boy growled. "I...wanted to talk with her about something."

"Ohoho, so it's an evening rendezvous after all?" Nigel teased.

"N-no, it's not like that!" Shinji replied, his cheeks flushing at the accusation. "D-don't get the wrong idea!" He pouted as the other boy had a chuckle at his expense, eyeing the door and wondering if it would a good idea to step through or not...

"If you wait here, I can get her for you," Nigel said eventually, once he'd stopped chuckling. "Or did you want to come in?"

"...if you could get her, I'd appreciate it," the Japanese boy grumbled. "I'm...a bit embarrassed."

"So it is like--"

"No!"Shinji cut him off. "I mean, no. I...I'd just rather not deal with everyone seeing me and...wait, how would you get her anyway?" If the rooms were anything like in Slytherin... "Aren't the female dorms separate from the male ones?"

"Yeah, but she's usually practicing on her guitar by the fire at this hour," Nigel noted. "You can almost set a clock by it."

"Her guitar...?" Shinji blinked. "So she has that kind of hobby, huh?"

"It's pretty neat. You don't see many people doing music around Hogwarts, aside from those involved with the Frog Choir."

"...well, if you can call that croaking music."

"Ha. You've a point there. Wait here - I'll get her for you."

"Thanks."

What is Shinji's approach to asking if Ana will take him as her guest?

[ ] Ask to be her date
    [ ] Ask obliquely if she was in Team Mystic
    [ ] Ask if she is doing anything this weekend
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[jk] Engage maximum smoothness. Make her fall for your charms and ask you for a date herself.

I have no regrets. This is the only path. CharmingRogue.exe has been initiated.

No, I don't treat this as a comic relief in comparison to PoV, why do you ask?
    Last edited by Malorius; February 25th, 2020 at 03:09 AM.

[x]Ask her if she wants to partner with him to make some more money

​Get gifts for Lady Black/family
    Last edited by Dracueri; February 27th, 2020 at 07:56 PM.

The debate is truly intense.

[x] Ask to be her date

Ah, what the hell. We are not trying to actually manipulate her here anyway. She is our friend important contact, so let's just come clean and exchange favors.

[X] Ask her if she wants to partner with him to make some more money

My Logic:

1) Ana is not dumb. Hence any attempt to fish for an opportunity to go to town will be figured out. Try not to make us look bad people.
    2) Lovesick route Shinji is rather ill fated. It is not what we want
    3) A business partner is not a bad idea as she will herself help sell the product (more customers), open another market of sell (Ravenclaw), and help expand the idea beyond what Shinji himself is capable of thinking. We will look far less stupid if we go this route and fail than any of the other suggests or choices I have seen. If this fails we go stealth our way into town and gamble.

As for the gifts, again we need to reward people that helped us. Not because we are KIND but because it will open more doors and more profit down the road.

[X] Give gifts to Ana and Lady Black/family

These are the two people that supported us/ need to stay in their favor. Ana cause of this current action (plus that Hagrid gamble save of hers) and Lady Black cause she is our TOUKO of this route (so far).

I would argue that Zabini counts as one but hey I can understand us being cheap. We gain his favor by mutual deals. I would not be giving Ana anything if we were not trying to gain a favor/partnership with her.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Ask her if she wants to partner with him to make some more money

It was only a few minutes before Nigel emerges with Ana, though for Matou Shinji it seemed a small eternity. Long enough, at least, for his palms to grow sweaty and his heart to pound as he contemplated how his schemes might fall flat with a single rejection. He hoped - believed - that the girl who had saved him once wouldn't leave him in the lurch, but...

...Matou Shinji didn't exactly have much faith in humanity, much less mysterious girls who acted on a whim.

'Right. How to convince her to take me to Hogsmeade with her?'

Flattery wouldn't work, not for someone who he suspected could see through falsehood with ease.

Nor would an attempt to charm, since English wasn't exactly his first language, and well, she was more charming than he was.

...which, as loath as he was to admit it, left only one option.

Money.
    '...I guess I'd rather let her have a piece of the action, compared to the Broker...'

"How would you like to get very rich for just a few hours' work?" he ended up asking when Ana came out to join him, closing the door to the Tower behind her.

"I'd say you sound like a con man, but go on, tell me more," the girl quipped, with Shinji looking away as if stung, his cheeks reddening as he mumbled something about how it wasn't like that.

"I'm serious," he said petulantly. "Don't laugh at me." The boy took a breath. "You saw how much I won from a single game of poker - you know I'm good for it."

"I saw how much you would have lost too," she reminded him, with Shinji closing his eyes.

...this wasn't going well.

"Let me try this again," he said as he opened his eyes. "I need a favor."

"Go on."

"I...you're going to Hogsmeade soon, right?" Shinji asked. "For the Team Mystic celebration?"

"I am." Ana confirmed. "What of it?"

"Take me with you."

"What, like a date?" the girl inquired, smiling a coy smile. "You're not exactly the first boy to ask."

"N-no, n-not for a d-date," Shinji stuttered. "As uh...partners." He glanced to the

"Partners," Ana echoed skeptically. "Uh-huh."

"...look, I noticed that first and second years can't go to Hogsmeade normally, so I thought maybe I could buy things from there and sell it to them. For a profit."

"And you need someone to take you to Hogsmeade so you know what there is? Is that it?"

"Uh...yes, actually," Shinji admitted. "Will you help me?"

"What's to stop me from just buying things up when I go, without you?" she questioned, with Shinji groaning. "I don't think it will make much money though - there's only so much chocolate I can carry in a single trip, or that people will eat."

"What if you didn't have to carry everything in a single trip?" Shinji countered, a hint of desperation bleeding into his voice. "Think of the possibilities here. Between us, we have a mountain of Galleons, and if we used them wisely..."

Ana blinked slowly.

"You found a secret passage, didn't you?" she murmured, looking at the boy with renewed interest. "Some way to get to Hogsmeade without anyone noticing."

"...maybe."

The girl chuckled throatily.

"Well, if you want me to take you to Hogsmeade, that's fine. I won't even ask for your money, or for a stake in whatever scheme you may be devising," she murmured. "I just want one thing from you."

"...what is it?"

"Information about the passageways."

Shinji frowned.

"But if I tell you that..." He had no guarantee she wouldn't become one of his competitors...

"What, you don't trust me?"

"...not particularly, no. I'm grateful to you for everything you've done for me, but trust, well..." He'd trusted people like Tohsaka once, and look what had become of him.

"Well, I'm not the one who needs someone to take them to Hogsmeade, am I?" Ana noted. "It's your choice, Matou. You can meet my price, or try and find someone else."

"...fine. We have a deal," Shinji grumbled, hoping he wasn't making a terrible mistake.

Hogsmeade...Shinji is of course, there to do business, but it's not as if he doesn't have some time on his hands, given that the group gets there in the morning.

[ ] Defer to Ana - let her direct them for the day
    [ ] Mention that he wants to scout first
    [ ] Try to look for other familiar faces
    [ ] Ask if Ana knows who the mysterious Japanese girl some of the Mystics are keeping their distance from are
    [ ] (write-in)
    "You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - A.A. Milne

[X] Mention that he wants to scout first

[x]​Mention that he wants to scout first

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] Mention that he wants to scout first

Thankfully for Shinji, Ana Spencer isn't exactly too fussed about the boy's plan to wander around ("scout out Hogsmeade") until lunchtime, given that she wasn't particularly fixated on visiting any particular place there. She did introduce him to her good friend Selina though, a bespectacled, golden-haired girl that Shinji soon learned was a bit of an adventurer, with a penchant for exploring strange locales and battling monsters - something which had led to the girl ranking at the top of the first years in Team Mystic (as well as the top scoring first year, period).

"Well then," Shinji noted, taking a moment to let that sink in. That...was certainly impressive, even if he knew that it was possible that she might not have earned all her points herself. Ron Weasley, top scoring first year in Team Valor, certainly hadn't, having had others (like Shinji himself) deal with some of the challenges of Wizards Unite for him. Still, whether she had been the one to score the points and battle the beasts, the accomplishment was notable, as she'd either actually been involved in a decent bit of combat, or had managed to make arrangements with those capable of taking up those challenges on her behalf (something that no Slytherin turned up their nose at). "Congratulations."

"Thank you," Selina said with a warm smile. "Ana tells me you're a dab hand at cards," she commented in turn. "

"...I've been known to play a bit now and then," the boy responded. "Nothing really notable though," he demurred, not wanting to draw attention to himself, even if Ana's chuckle gave the lie to his words.

"Any particular games? Or are you more of a fortune-teller?" Selina questioned.

"...more of a fortune teller," the boy hedged. "Though I'm still learning to read the patterns of nature, and how they are reflected in the cards."

"Do you read them well enough to know what cards are coming when you play card games?"

"...I haven't tried applying one to the other, but it could be interesting," he admitted, imagining how that ability might make him even more of a terror at cards...if anyone would play against him, that is. "How about you, do you play any card games?"

"A bit of poker here and there," Selina murmured.

"Not that you should play against Matou, I think," Ana cut in gently but firmly. "He's being just a bit humble about his achievements."

Shinji grumbled about the interruption under his breath, but thought better of saying anything objectionable. Better to stay on the good side of someone who was clearly influential in Ravenclaw and not...take what was theirs.

So he thought as the trio came to what looked like a fairly pricey potion store, with colorful concoctions sold in rather fancy vials and bottles.

He is drawn to...

[ ] Some of the fancier flasks and bottles
    [ ] A number of Potions Books behind the counter
    [ ] Some of the bubbling cauldrons around the room
    [ ] A display with a hopping cauldron
    [ ] (write-in)

[x]​A number of Potion Books behind the counter

[X] A number of Potions Books behind the counter

Knowledge first, it is not steered us wrong yet. We should buy cheaper potions to sell then I feel this place has. What feels better to buy here is the rest of the stuff. Equipment is helpful and I am sure we could get good use out of those cauldrons but I am not sure I want to spend large sums on our non-main skill sets. Divination spending, go for it as long as its legit. Stealth equipment oh for sure.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] A number of Potions Books behind the counter

As someone who had grown up under the expectations of a family of magi (even if he was not - and almost certainly would never be - a magus himself), Matou Shinji knew well the value of knowledge over more transient things. As such, what caught his eye almost immediately were the books behind the counter, more than the bubbling cauldrons or bottles or other items strewn around the shelves.

None of them were new, with all having some degree of wear evident on them.

Some were rather fancy, with gilt edges and covers engraved with intricate designs.

Some were obviously old textbooks, with names he didn't recognize (like Zygmunt Budge) written on a plate above them.

And one stood apart in a case of its own - something that was almost an illuminated manuscript, with its pages as it depicted some interaction that looked very complex. Something about placebos and nocebos...

"See something you're interested in?" Ana asked, speaking up as she noted the direction of Shinji's gaze.

Which seems most interesting?

[ ] The book in the case - Placebo, Nocebo - by Nicholas Flamel
    [ ] The textbooks
    [ ] The fancy books with gilt edges

I am going to regret this choice when I see the sticker price but...
    [X] The book in the case - Placebo, Nocebo - by Nicholas Flamel

I couldn't care less about the fancier books. Textbooks sure.

Edit: Its more money then we brought with us. So NOPE, not going to spend more than I have and owe others, and then not to the entire reason we came on this trip.I will ask about the book still but I am not buying it.
    Last edited by Skull Leader; March 6th, 2020 at 12:46 AM.

[x]The book in the case-Placebo,Nocebo​-by Nicholas Flamel

[x]The book in the case-Placebo,Nocebo​-by Nicholas Flamel
    Last edited by skulkidcachi90; March 5th, 2020 at 11:12 PM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    [X] The book in the case - Placebo, Nocebo - by Nicholas Flamel

Like many other people his age, not to mention people in general, Matou Shinji was drawn towards expensive-looking things, given that they represented a lifestyle he wished he enjoyed. Thus, he immediately noticed the illuminated manuscript in the display case, though something told him that it was probably outside of his price range.

'Still, there's no harm in asking, right...?' he told himself, since it wasn't like he was committing to buying the tome or anything. The boy walked up to the case, then looked over to the non-descript shopkeep, signaling that he was curious.

"Ah, I see you are a precocious one. A youth of good taste," the proprieter complimented as he stepped from behind the counter over to the book. "There are few in the modern age who appreciate the secret knowledge hidden in old tomes and grimoires, or the effort that goes into writing them. Too many believe that what is in their textbooks to be the sum total of what they need to know, when in reality, those books are but a foundation for future learning." The man scoffed. "If you browse, you will see that every book in this store goes beyond the simplistic approach to potioneering that the Ministry has accepted as a standard, allowing those with sufficient discernment to explore paths hidden to the common witch - or wizard."

"Well, I couldn't help but recognize the author of this book," Shinji noted, his tone quiet. "Is this actually by--"

"The creator of the Philosopher's Stone, the legendary artifact that can turn lead to gold and grants immortality?" the man inquired. "Yes, yes indeed." He smiled, a thin smile indeed. "I'm surprised. First years do not tend to have an interest in things like alchemy."

"Yes, well, I am interested in...unusual things," the boy replied, attempting to sound mysterious and knowing.

"Is that so?" the shopkeeper asked quietly. "I suppose you would like to inquire about the book then?" "Yes. How much is it? And what exactly does it discuss?"

"Mm. This tome is one of Flamel's great works, touching upon how the magic of a potion interacts with a wizard's innate magic, how the effects of various potions may be replicated with...other ingredients or spells, and how even a potion of poor quality might be made to have a great effect if one stimulates the senses and beliefs of the one who imbibes it."

"...interesting," Shinji murmured. "That sounds like it would be quite useful..."

"Indeed, and thus exceedingly valuable,"the man agreed. "Ordinatily, I would charge 200 Galleons for it at the least, given the age of the text and the knowledge it contains, but for you...given your age and your precocious interests, I am willing to bargain. Perhaps...100 Galleons?"

Shinji's eyes widened. The shopkeeper was willing to give him 50% off of the usual price? That...that was quite a bargain. One that seemed almost too good to be true, really - and even if it wasn't, he was only carrying 50 Galleons on him at present (which, added to the 25 Galleons of credit that Lord Black was willing to provide for all visitors today, was still a fair sum, as 75 Galleons was about 450 British Pounds, or close to 70000 Yen).

Still...

"How many copies of this book are there?" "In the world? Twenty. This is one of only three copies in English, however, and the only one you are likely to find for sale." "Ah..." "I can see the price troubles you, but that is low as I can go without cutting my own throat. Give it some thought. The offer is good until you and your friends return to Hogwarts today," the man said graciously.

Matou Shinji decides to...

[ ] Buy it now - asking Ana if she might be willing to chip in
    [ ] Buy it later today, after seeing what else is on offer
    [ ] Stick to his original intent to scout and buy goods for trade - he can buy this later if he needs to

After handling this bit of business, the three leave the shop and continue to wander for a while, as it is not yet lunchtime. There isn't really a method to their meanderings, nor any destination in mind, though eventually they find their feet have carried them to a storefront in an out of the way alleyway.

"Strange," Ana muttered, looking about and not seeing any sign of their classmates. "Where are we?"

"Well, wherever we are, no reason not to step inside," Shinji said, sounding more confident than he really felt. He proceeded to do so, and the moment he crossed the threshold...

'What the...' The boy froze in his steps as he fought off a wave of disorientation, his body swaying back and forth. For a moment his senses were blinded entirely, with the boy feeling like he was floating in some indescribable void, where there was no light, no sound, nothing at all, but then he snapped back to himself, and everything felt real, solid in a way it hadn't before.

The inside of the shop was surprisingly luxurious. It was quiet, with no sounds coming from outside. It was..

'Huh. You can't tell if it is day or night in here...'

Any windows there might have been were covered by thick cloth. The door...behind them? didn't seem present, and the store was lit only by a dim glow that reminded him of candles. Or lamplight.

'What's going on?'

There were some...couches here. Plush, comfortable things, and small tables in between. Shelves with all manner of objects, some he could identify, some he could not, though everything seemed to have weight in a way he'd not before encountered.

And...

"Welcome to Fortune's End," a husky contralto rang out, as a beautiful woman with dark skin, dark hair, and dark eyes stepped out of the languid shadows without a sound, clad in a garment that seemed almost like shadows themselves, with how dark they were, and how they seemed to draw in light. "It is rare that we have visitors. Would you care to join me for tea?"

[ ] Play along. There's something strange about this place
    [ ] Refuse. Try to get out while you get the chance
    [ ] Look to Selina. Surely an adventurer would have more of a clue...
    [ ] (write-in)
    Last edited by alfheimwanderer; March 8th, 2020 at 06:08 AM.

[x]Stick to his original intent to scout and buy goods for trade-he can buy this later if he needs to

If he buys the tome he will not be able to get anything else and would have to make another deal with Ana for funds.

[x]Play along. There's something strange about this place

Let's solve mystery of store and what services they offer.