Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: TYPE-MOON Studio BB

Quote Originally Posted by BeastXxx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by You
    After preparing offices, hiring, and all that topsy-turvey stuff, I can finally settle down in an environment where I can make games. Once again, let's take a look at the studio.

Studio BB is going to make 3 things.

1. Work related to existing TYPE-MOON titles.
    2. New title that incorporates Nasu's worldview (in a broad sense).
    3. Completely new title with a TYPE-MOON style (in a very broad sense).

"3" may sound very ambiguous. Think of it as, whatever took our fancy. Something the president and Kinoko said "That seemed interesting," to.

By the way, we get a lot of questions about the Tsukihime remake. TYPE-MOON itself is eagerly working on that. I'm actually waiting to enjoy it myself! Anyway, I hope you understand its a work outside studio BB's jurisdiction.

So, at this opening juncture, what games are studio BB looking to make? What type of quality can you expect? To answer that, please use the development of "1" as a benchmark for studio BB's abilities. I think there will be something to show no later than next summer.

Thank you again.

Nino Kazuya/studio director.
    Motocross Saitou (@moot_sai) did the pixel art we're currently using for our homepage!
    A slightly fictitious Yokohama, a slightly fictitious office, in a place near our office.
    Thank you so much for the wonderful picture!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Although I was addicted to making offices and recruiting jobs,
    Sounds more soul-consuming than gacha.

I finally [...] became an environment where I can make games.
    Congrats on your transition into a living work room, Mr. Niino. I know it's not an easy process and you deserve kudos for the effort you put into it.

please think that it is ant. If the president and mushrooms say "It looks interesting", it's like an ant!
    You can truly see how much Nasu changed with the years when it's told his mollusk fetish was replaced by an ant fetish.

So, now that you are starting, what games can you make with studio BB?
    Damn, the dude just unironically hired everyone who read the post. That's some impressive HR management to say the least.

God, machine translations are always a joy to read.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Tsukada's writer career.

My name is Kouya Tsukada and I will be the writer for Studio BB.
    Since this is my first time here, I'll start with a brief introduction of my career history.

Now I am a writer for video games, but my career started in the movie industry. I lurked around film production jobs, holding my dream of one day becoming a director close to my heart. But to be a director, I needed to create stories, which got me engaged to creating scenarios until the script writing became my main job.
    Years later, unexpectedly enough, I considered writing for video games and got accepted immediately, leading me to where I am now. As someone who always loved video games, being a game creator was a dream on par with being a movie creator. After my first time in the work field, I got fascinated with games' unique way of expression and storytelling and ended up a prisoner to game creation.

I took part as a writer in many titles, but I believe the most noteworthy among them are Yuugure no Valkyries (the first game script I wrote), Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth (the game that showed me how fun game writing can be, although I wasn't the main writer there), Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 (games I worked with Mr. Niino and handled the entire script all by myself), among others.
    I poured my blood and tears into the scripts of all these titles, so I'd love to know that any of played one of them.

Speaking of scripts and scenarios... the Studio BB's mother, Type-Moon, is THE Kinoko Nasu's studio. I believe a lot of you expect high quality stories from Studio BB, too. The pressure weighing on me is outrageously huge, but I hope I can stay chill and enjoy my storywritting.
    I'll be devoting myself to writing a script that leave all of you satisfied, so thank you in advance for your support.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Now I am a writer for video games, but my career started in the movie industry. I lurked around film production jobs, holding my dream of one day becoming a director close to my heart. But to be a director, I needed to create stories, which got me engaged to creating scenarios until the script writing became my main job.
    Years later, unexpectedly enough, I considered writing for video games and got accepted immediately, leading me to where I am now.
    I cannot but be reminded of this.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    https://www.4gamer.net/games/099/G009987/20200117060/

New interview with director Kazuya Nino

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Tsukichads rise up, Nino-dono is on our side.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Interview's content
    -The Type-Moon fanbase is much larger than what Niino was prepared for. He wasn't expecting his new studio's name to be trending on Twitter the day it was announced. Now he got a feel of the scope of his project and the pressure is big.

-Niino's first contact with Type-Moon was 13 years ago. After finishing Etrian Oddysey, he needed a new project to start working with and since he was a huge Tsukihime, he asked Type-Moon to let him make a Tsukihime game for Atlus. Type-Moon said no because they were focusing on the Fate/ side of the franchise at the moment.

-Later, when Niino was already working at Image Epoch, he went back to his idea of making a Type-Moon RPG, but this time he asked about Fate/ instead of Tsukihime because that was more "current" at the time.

-Niino was trying really hard to impress, so he pitched Nasu the most sci-fi project he could: "The solar system's oldest object was discovered on the Moon: the Type-Moon, a 3cm³ omnipotent wish-granting cube." Nasu accepted but changed the name from Type-Moon to Mooncell because it was embarrassing.
    CCC was pitched early into /EXTRA's development because Niino is a Sakura fanboy and wanted to make a game where you chase a bunch of Sakura in a dungeon.

-To no one's surprise, the studio was named both as a joke about it being the B studio and for Niino's personal waifu reasons.

-Studio BB's story starts when Niino was at Square Enix and Naoki Yoshida (producer/director of Final Fantasy XIV) says he wants to make a game with Type-Moon. Niino had just finished directing Dragon Quest Builders 2, so he's was ready to have his next project with Type-Moon, but unfortunately, the Square Enix' higher-ups answer was "Ok, but not now". Niino is already past his 40s, so he's worried about how many games can he still make before he retires. At this point, he wants to focus only on games he actually wants to make, so "not now" is not an acceptable answer for him anymore. He explained his situation to Type-Moon and Takeuchi is like "Dude, just work on our place". Suddenly, they start looking for offices for a new studio and made that "We're hiring" thing on the website.

- It's a new separate studio because the roster of employees in the main Type-Moon studio is pretty much the same for the past 20 years and factoring in new people into that could be messy. Also because Niino was advised into developing his games independently (although working together and receiving help from Type-Moon).

-The main Type-Moon studio wants to develop their current series at their own pace, so Studio BB should develop TM titles on a different axis from them. So, no Studio BB speeding up the remake's release. But Niino did tell Nasu and Takeuchi that the game he's currently aiming for will be big enough to compete with the remake when they both release in about 5, 6 years.

-He can't give details about the 3 games Studio BB is producing because they are not in a presentable stage yet. They already started development in August for 1 of them, a mid-sized project in collaboration with another company. Then when the year started, they started the development on the other one, a small-sized project that can be done entirely within the Studio BB. Both of these games will serve as a build-up for the aforementioned Tsukihime-sized 3rd project, both in the TM lore they will present and as way to make the Studio BB team more experienced.

-Niino says is ready to retire if that bigger project is satisfactory. He talked with Nasu and Takeuchi before about how since his days are counted, he has to work only on what he really wants to do and make sure every game counts.

-Studio BB's games will be canon to the Nasuverse and will stay true to all the lore and worldbuilding, but they won't be sequels or spin-offs to any existing title. At least one of them will be almost entirely brand-new stuff.

-We already know enough about the games Niino makes, so the interviewer asks instead about the games Niino plays. He usually about 30 games that he plays without finishing. One he's really enjoying right now is Borderlands 3. He praises its difficulty curve and its Japanese localization.

-The worst thing you can say to Niino is that one of his games was ok. He wants all the players to consider them either really good and a complete trainwreck, no inbetweens. However, when circumstances demand his game to be limited, he redistributes the work in order make the game have at least one part that's really good instead of making the whole game consistently ok. Because he believes no one will want a sequel to a game that was just ok the whole time, but they might want a sequel for a game that had one really good part.

-When asked for an example, Niino says his default response is usually focusing on the OST as the one part to make really, as he believes a good OST can often emotionally carry a whole game and keep the emphasis on the right spots. He goes on a bit more about that, but I don't really understand music enough to explain that part. Sorry. Niino's games do have quite memorable OSTs though.

-Back to the previous question, the interviewer now asks about what Niino played as a kid. The was big fan of RPGs and PC games, but he didn't have a PC to play the latter, so he just collected magazines and imagined what it would be like to play all those games there. People often tell him he knows a lot about old PC games, but he actually just read a lot about them and never played most of them.

-Judging by his work in Etrian Oddysey, the interviewer guessed Niino was a Wizardry fan. He answers he played the Famicom version as a kid and didn't like, but grew to appreciate it a lot as the years came by. But the interviewer was right in his guess that EO was somewhat an attempt to fix everything Niino didn't like about Wizardry. Another recurring trait in his dungeon crawlers is making the first floor of the dungeon the hardest.

-Studio BB's team is was 7 people before the hiring campaign. 1 director, 1 developer, 1 writer, 1 programmer, 1 2D artist, 1 3D artist and 1 project manager. Niino thinks that's enough to make a 2D game, but for a tried his ideal was to hire at least 3 more programmers. The interview was taking before the campaign was over, so we don't know if he managed or not.

-Studio BB's games are current planned to go on the PS4, Switch and PC, but Niino wants them be playable in as many platforms as possible, so he's also considering smartphones, Xbox and Cloud.

-Niino wants his work in Studio BB to be his manner of passing the torch to the future generations, teaching his new employees all he can to keep his style going even after his retirement, sorta like how it was done with Dragon Quest.

-Niino's favorite Type-Moon elements are Dead Apostles and FGO's Wandering Sea.

-The official TM terminology is a big part in making TM games, but many fans are new and there's so many new terms that even a 20 years fan like Niino is finding hard to keep up, so his games will constantly have simple explanations for all the terms, so we can all "study the Type-Moon lore" all over again.

-As we already know, the writer for Niino's games will be Tsukada, who already worked for him making the entire script for both Dragon Quest Builders games. It was a rocky work where the two disagreed a lot, but ultimately they think their constant clash of opinions is what made the DQB good and they want keep doing that for the Studio BB's games.

-Tsukada normally feels a huge pressure from having to write alone for someone as attentive to the script as Niino, and Type-Moon's reputation as story-centric titles only makes it worse, but Nasu encouraged him saying the bigger the pressure, the more the writer gains EXP to level up.

-The most memorable thing Nasu said to Niino when making /EXTRA is to do whatever he wanted, as something that could work as a finale to Fate/ series. He just had to do something that didn't ruin Fate/stay Night's reputation. As a result of his works, Fate/ got a ton of spin-offs and became what the interviewer describes an endless party. To that Niino responds that no party lasts forever. He says Fate/'s 10-year long party is ending and that he wants his work to help setting things up for TM's next 10-year long party.
    Last edited by Comun; May 13th, 2020 at 08:14 PM.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    I hope everything turns out like how he wants it to, he sounds like a cool guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

US Friend Code
    Wow so Mooncell wasn't Nasu's idea initially?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    He says Fate/'s 10-year long party is ending
    I'll believe it when I see it, guys.

- - - Updated - - -

But yea neat interview and he seems like a good fan and someone who'd be good for T-M.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

US Friend Code
    Anyway yeah this guy seems cool and his plans sound interesting, I hope Studio BB works out.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If they do another dungeon crawler RPG, I hope it's more like Etrian Odyssey than Fate/Extra, because Extra was the very mediocrity the guy wants to avoid.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    I hope it's not dungeon crawler, more open field instead
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Loved the interview, wish the guy the best, I loved Extra for its story, it had me coming back chapter after chapter, even with its crappy gameplay.
    I wish I could play CCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    Interview's content

-The main Type-Moon studio wants to develop their current series at their own pace, so Studio BB should develop TM titles on a different axis from them. So, no Studio BB speeding up the remake's release. But Niino did tell Nasu and Takeuchi that the game he's currently aiming for will be big enough to compete with the remake when they both release in about 5, 6 years.

So Tsukihime Remake will be in 5 or 6 years ?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Studio BB's big game is scheduled to be in 5 or 6 years. Tsukihime remake also taking that long was (hopefully) a joke.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    JP Friend Code
    400977753/aqua
    an studio leaded by one of the responsible of the garbage extraverse and named by after the shitiest wormslut , I pass
    fate grand order ID:400977753

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Unironically agree that extraverse has to go

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrifoceBurn View Post
    an studio leaded by one of the responsible of the garbage extraverse and named by after the shitiest wormslut , I pass
    Sen~pa~i
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by TrifoceBurn View Post
    Sounds like someone's having a bad day...You okay there bud?