Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5891011121520 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall 2019 Animu Season - Harvests of food for the body and food for the soul

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    I'm so conflicted about picking fire force up again. On one hand the pacing is honestly awful and Tamaki's entire character annoys me. On the other the stuff I've looked up that happens sounds interesting (though I keep dropping the manga because once again, pacing) and Benimaru. Decisions, decisions...
    Tamaki's character is really bad, yeah. It's like she doesn't even have any purpose in the story except to get thrown into random fanservice situations. The sad thing is that her character actually has the potential to be pretty interesting. Her having idolized Rekka and then been betrayed by him could provide a more personal reason for trying to uncover the truth the Fire Force is hiding.

She was someone who more than anything believed in the system, admired it, desperately wanted to become a part of it, only to find the person who she considered to embody the highest values of that system (Rekka) commit the most horrific crimes imaginable. That'd shake anyone's faith, and it makes sense that Tamaki would join Company 8 to root out the corruption infesting the organization she admired so much.

Given most of Company 8 are driven by pretty straightforward "good guy" motives it'd be interesting to have someone motivated by something more personal like betrayal on the team. She could've been like Akane from Psycho-Pass, struggling to reconcile her innate idealism with growing recognition that the system she serves is deeply corrupt. But the crazy thing is that since Tamaki joined the team, as far as I can recall absolutely none of this has been addressed at all. Like, there hasn't even been a single conversation where somebody asks Tamaki how she's coping with the fact that the lieutenant she idolized tried to brutally murder a bunch of kids, or how that'd shape her convictions for trying to uncover the truth behind human combustion. She just exists to look cute, lose her clothes and vaguely crush on Shinra sometimes.

Given how much potential a character in her position has it is really disappointing Ohkubo decided to go in such an inane direction. I don't even have a problem with fanservice normally, but it should at least make sense and not detract from the story. Tamaki's "curse" makes no sense within the rules of the story (unless you assume the Holy Sol is both real and a pervert whose fixated on making this one girl get naked in improbable situations, I guess) and just serves to squander anything interesting that could've been done with her character in cheap fanservice gags.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    About Tamaki, as a manga reader, I can only say she will eventually get some actual development, but only about 100 chapters from now. That, and she does have some serious moments before then, but not much. Development is basically shifted around multiple Company 8 members, and Tamaki hasn't really gotten her turn yet.

Also, I might be the only one who actually finds Tamaki's Lucky Lecher Lure kinda funny because it's so extremely ridiculous that it basically borders on self-parody, and it generally matches with Ohkubo's general over-the-top silliness, both in Soul Eater and Fire Force.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    Tamaki makes the fan service more funny than lewd so it's fine.

I'm looking at you Rito.

Quote Originally Posted by AmADo VII View Post
    Tamaki makes the fan service more funny than lewd so it's fine.

I'm looking at you Rito.
    Basically this.
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    About Tamaki, as a manga reader, I can only say she will eventually get some actual development, but only about 100 chapters from now. That, and she does have some serious moments before then, but not much. Development is basically shifted around multiple Company 8 members, and Tamaki hasn't really gotten her turn yet.

Also, I might be the only one who actually finds Tamaki's Lucky Lecher Lure kinda funny because it's so extremely ridiculous that it basically borders on self-parody, and it generally matches with Ohkubo's general over-the-top silliness, both in Soul Eater and Fire Force.
    I thought it would be funny until I actually read some parts of the manga and all it did was reaffirm my dislike of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Like so many parts of fire forces for me is "Wow this sounds cool/interesting/funny" until I see the context and I'm always whelmed by it

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar
    Its neither funny nor lewd, just obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    I thought it would be funny until I actually read some parts of the manga and all it did was reaffirm my dislike of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Like so many parts of fire forces for me is "Wow this sounds cool/interesting/funny" until I see the context and I'm always whelmed by it
    Really now? For me, the anime had so many holes, but upon reading the manga and seeing how Ohkubo initially wrote it, it all ended up making more sense and feeling far more engaging, especially with the constant intrigue, odd characters, and moral ambiguity.

Then again, I guess it's not for everyone, and really, I understand why people don't really like the Lucky Lecher Lure. It does actively hamper Tamaki's ability to be a serious character, which does actually get lampshaded.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    never pick up the anime again after episode 2. Don't know it felt awkward and don't flow well
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Try the manga. It's leagues better flow-wise and fixes a lot of those problems. Chapter 1 is free on the Kodansha site, afterwards, you're on your own to figure out how you want to read it.

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    yea the reason I drop it is because I read the manga and the anime just make the joke felt awkward
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Really now? For me, the anime had so many holes, but upon reading the manga and seeing how Ohkubo initially wrote it, it all ended up making more sense and feeling far more engaging, especially with the constant intrigue, odd characters, and moral ambiguity.

Then again, I guess it's not for everyone, and really, I understand why people don't really like the Lucky Lecher Lure. It does actively hamper Tamaki's ability to be a serious character, which does actually get lampshaded.
    Yeah, I might proper give up on this series. Its the same feeling as snow white with the red hair where I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. A shame cause I loved soul eater and I still think it sounds interesting

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    I enjoy Fire Force anime a lot. It's tons of fun. I also love the fanservice because I'm a shameless pervert. Only bothered me when it was shoved into the Rekka fight. But otherwise, it's all good
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by bassgs435 View Post
    I enjoy Fire Force anime a lot. It's tons of fun. I also love the fanservice because I'm a shameless pervert. Only bothered me when it was shoved into the Rekka fight. But otherwise, it's all good
    Agreed. As a gentleman pervert, I do appreciate the FF fanservice, and it helps that the fanservice is lampshaded heavily and is pretty ridiculous. Also, spoilers, but those who like dudes will get their fair share of eye-candy eventually.

Theres kino fanservice, and then theres clown fanservice. Fire force, nanatsu no taizai and heroaca (mineta) all sit comfortably in clownservice.

Fire Force is so good, please don't let one character ruin it for you. Though, if you really can't stand her that much, I won't think less of you for not wanting to watch it anymore.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    I don't think I have much to add to this discussion but if we're all chiming in I didn't like Fire Force, or its concept, or its dumb first couple of chapters. So you know, YMMV.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

my biggest problem with it is that those fire fighter outfits nerf the best thing okubos got going for him, cool character designs
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasu
    I don't care if it doesn't make sense. I don't have any intent of making it make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman View Post
    Fire Force is so good, please don't let one character ruin it for you. Though, if you really can't stand her that much, I won't think less of you for not wanting to watch it anymore.
    Tamaki on her own isn't enough to ruin the anime for me, though how unfunny I find her gag doesnt help, I was already mixed on it from the get-go. The arcs apparently improved after but the first two arcs were too rushed for my tastes

"Oh we have a rival company now? Will she oppose them for a few arcs before j-oh their already attacking her hideout? Oh her deep psychological issues were resolved just like that? Oh she's in love with Shinra and is acting like his sugar mummy now? Oh I...see..."

Then

"Oh their infiltrating another company? Will we see more of how other companies live and get a bit more development on the religious the-oh they just find the guy in such an obvious way the very next episode? I...see ..."

And yet the pacing is simultaneously meandering with characters seeming to waste time in scenes (there were a lot of awkward pauses in the Gyaru chick's fight and the little spar at company 1). My lack of attachment to all the characters also doesn't motivate me to keep up with it (though I'm interested in Benimaru), even the most basic of story can hold my attention if I love the characters. I cried at a shows finally just cause my favourite character smiled

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative Ice View Post
    my biggest problem with it is that those fire fighter outfits nerf the best thing okubos got going for him, cool character designs
    The uniformity certainly nerfs creativity, there are only so many ways you can make an outfit look distinct

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Bleach begs to differ.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean sure, the outfits didn't look distinct, but the characters wearing them did.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

thats just proof how good a chara designer kubo is. Really has a knack for cool & flair.