Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 456781116 ... LastLast

Thread: [Quest] Lostbelt Raising Project

Blog Entries

Year: 2018

I wanted to change…

All this time, I’ve wanted to change myself. I wanted to become something.

A magus, a hero, a regular human, it didn’t matter. I just didn’t want to be a monster anymore.

That's why I swore to never use my powers again. I didn’t want them to define me. I didn’t want to kill anyone else. If I could, I would wish that I had never been born with them. If I could have another life, I would never do the things I did.

I just wanted a second chance.

But…

Right now, none of that matters.

Right here, there is no room to be selfish.

I don’t care what I have to do! I won’t let Assassin die!!!

Wise-up! Assassin's Status
    Affection Up!
    Assassin’s well-being is of the utmost importance to you.

I can see it.

The moment I focus with all my senses, I can perceive the invisible.

Not with my eyes nor my other senses, but with the sixth sense unique to me alone, it becomes as clear as day.

There is no need to activate or awaken anything. I don’t have to turn on a switch or change channels. It has always been there within my perception; I’ve just been ignoring it with all my might. Once I stop looking away, it plainly appears before me, something without comparison.

It isn’t physical or magical or tangible. It cannot be described with words or images. It exists solely within my reality.

It is something abstract, something incomprehensible, something familiar…

I call it “Life”.

In the dark forest, Saber’s very life, the essence of her being, is laid out before me. And not just her. Assassin’s life as well as that of any other person within my line of sight is visible. The proofs of their existence, everything they have built up, everything that defines their being is right there in the palm of my hand.

I can see it.

And I can destroy it.

There is no room for hesitation. I know what to do. I know what I have to do.

No doubt. No holding back. No regrets.

Just an apology.

I’ve decided to kill Saber. I am going to do something terrible and inhumane.

So, my last thoughts are ones of condolence…

“… … … huh?”

After a short pause, Assassin is left in bewilderment. The trembling eyes she closed in fear open to find herself still alive.

The fatal guillotine never falls, because the battle is already over. With a mere thought, Saber’s life was shattered like fragile glass. There was no resistance or effort required; it was as easy as breathing. And in the very next moment, her raised arm, holding the deadly blade, drops limply to her side like a puppet with cut strings.

“ghhh…” I groan in pain as I push myself up against the tree trunk and confirm the result.

Saber isn’t moving. She’s just standing there like a statue. Her body is motionless. Lifeless.

She’s dead. She really is dead. She’s gone forever and she’ll never come back.

“Ah…”

I look upon the result of my powers, the empty husk before me.

It happened in an instant, before I could even give it clear thought, but I really did use my powers.

I killed her.

That thought alone makes my head go fuzzy. It hurts. I can’t think straight. Like the rush you get from air after holding your breath, the broken taboo rocks my brain. I did this. I can’t believe I did this. My heart feels heavy. My vision becomes a blur. The burning desire to scream out at the world, to yell out all my guilt, sears through my chest. I want to tear at my wounds. I want to shed as much blood as I’ve spilled. I want to drown out this shitty feeling with pain.

I want to die.

No… no, no, no. No, not yet. I can’t lose it just yet. There’s still… one more thing I need to do. The battle isn’t over.

With the last of my will, I clench my fist and force out my final words with raspy breath.

“Saber… please go and protect Rider.”

“Eh?”

I hear Assassin’s surprise, but I can’t spare the thought. My focus is entirely spent on the person behind her…

“Understood. Leave it to me.” Saber responds immediately. Her voice is cold and robotic, a far cry from her previous jovial tones.

With mechanical motion, she gives me a quick nod and then hastily runs off. She leaves us behind to follow her orders and go protect Rider. There is not even a hint of disobedience in her answer or actions. Good. So, it worked without a hitch. The artificial personality should take care of the rest.

The final weight on my shoulder lightens. Everything should be settled now. If Saber’s there, things should probably be okay; I don’t think even Lancer can take on both Rider and Saber at the same time. So, there’s no more need to worry. Everything… is fine.

Hah… how simple. That was so easy. I couldn’t even lay a single finger against her before and she was moments away from killing us, yet now the situation’s completely changed. Even though she’s a Servant, one of humanity’s greatest, she couldn’t do anything against my power. It wasn’t even a challenge, more like stomping out an immobile ant.

“Ha… hahaha… hahahahaha. Ahahahahahahahahahaahahahaaahaha!!!” I start laughing uncontrollably.

It’s just so ridiculous. All of her power and intelligence and will were completely meaningless in the end. How is this fair? Who came up with this stupid outcome? This is far more than just being overpowered; the balance is completely broken.

Saber’s fleeing body fades into the darkness, eagerly following my commands. Her speed is out of this world, but it doesn’t even matter. Now, she’s just my puppet. That sack of meat isn’t a hero or a corpse; it’s just a doll for my personal use. That is the fate of any who dares oppose me. Isn’t that ridiculous? Isn’t that insane? Isn’t that… disgusting?

“Hahahahahahahaaha… haha… ha…ha… ... ...Shit.”

My laughter dies down and I’m left with mere emptiness. The last remnants of my energy are used to slam my fist into my thigh. I barely register the pain.

“… what the fuck have I done?”

There’s no doubt about it. I killed her. Saber’s gone forever and something new has inhabited her body. Something of my will and creation. The person known as Saber is truly and utterly dead.

Just like everyone else. Just like the girl I fancied. Just like my mother.

I killed them all. And I did it again.

I haven’t changed at all. I haven’t grown at all. I’m still just a monster.

So, in the end… it was useless. This ten-year farce of trying to be a normal person was in the end just make-believe. I can’t change who I am. I will never be anything else.

More than any wound, that realization crushes me. My body starts to feel numb and my vision goes black. I can’t feel anything around me anymore. I think I can somewhat sense Assassin doing something nearby, but my mind isn’t working anymore. It’s all just a haze to me now.

Whatever. It doesn’t matter. Who even cares? I don’t have any will to fight anymore.

The world fades to black…

And I sink into darkness.

Wise-up! Player's Status
    Mind Break

An ultimate psychic power. The ability to telepathically brainwash others and remodel their personality to your desire. Demeanor, ideals, beliefs, likes and even love can be configured as the user sees fit. In other words, mind control. One of the simplest, but most well-known forms of ESP, it is an absolute power with no weakness.

It works by first completely destroying the target’s psyche and then replacing it with one of the user’s design. Thus, it cannot be reversed. Nor can it be defended against using typical means of mental resistance such as magical protection, willpower, or insanity. As long as the enemy has the capacity for sentience and will, this ability is invincible.

Only works on females.

Blog Entries

It was a winter holiday, just before the end of the year.

I remember because I had just returned from my regular trip to my father’s house. After the divorce, my mother and I lived separately from him, but I still went to visit him occasionally. Every Christmas, perhaps spurred by the idea of everyone else spending the day with their families, I would go alone to see my dad. I’d spend the whole day and night in the winter cold outside the house gates, hoping that one year he would open it and greet me as his son. He never did.

With the usual disappointment piercing my chest, I returned home to a surprise. The one who greeted me as I passed through the doors was not my mother but an unfamiliar man, sitting in the living room. Calm and collected, drinking coffee out of our cup and kettle, he made it seem like it was his house and I the guest.

“Who the hell are you? How’d you get in here?” I barked back with confusion at the intruder.

“Camille Vladivan Andreski…” A gentle voice. My name seemed to ring softly in his throat like a chorus of bells. “It’s nice to meet you at last. I am the Director of the Chaldea Security Organization.”

I can not express the bewilderment I felt towards the strange man who barged into my house, knew my full name, and introduced himself as such, all with the calm of a retired man taking Sunday brunch.

“Chaldea Security- what? You…” I timidly questioned the man. “A-are you a magus?”

“Yes, I am. As are you, I’ve heard.”

I was surprised to say the least. At the time, I was still relatively unacquainted with the world of magi and knew only what little stories of tradition my father had shared when I was still an innocent child. So he was the first magus I had ever met besides my father.

“Uhh… if you’re here for magi stuff then, you’re at the wrong place. My father doesn’t live here.” I try to explain. As for as I knew, there should have been no reason for a magus to be after a low-level spellcaster like me. And yet,

“Not quite, Camille. I’m here for you.” He retorted elegantly. “I wish to invite you to join our little organization. We at Chaldea are tasked with the continuation of humanity and could use someone of your… talents.”

“Eh?” I gasped. My shock overwrote my many questions regarding his statement as I focused on only one mystery. “You want… me? But why?”

Fear mixed with surprise. I had a feeling I knew what his answer was, and I didn’t like it.

“I hear that you have a unique ability, Camille. It interests me…” He confirms my worst fears.

“How… how do you know about that!?” I suddenly question him aggressively as if my survival instincts had finally kicked in.

“Don’t worry about that. I have my methods…” He answers as calm as ever.

And plastered on his dimly lit face was an all-knowing grin.

He proceeded to tell me everything about Chaldea. He explained their mission to save the world, the summoning of Heroic Spirits, the necessity of Masters and more. With each passing minute, the sick feeling in my gut grew. The knowledge that this man knows my secret alone made me uncomfortable, and I felt worse as it dawned upon me what he wished me to do.

After several minutes of exposition, he finally finished.

“Well? What do you think? Are you interested?” He inquired confidently.

I, on the other hand, lacked even the composure to look him in the eyes.

“I… I understand what you’ve told me. But… I really think you should find someone else.” I meekly respond whilst nervously playing with my hair. “I can’t help you, even if I wanted to. If you want to save the world, then I’m the wrong person. My power can’t save anyone. All it can do… is hurt others.”

“Who decided that?” He immediately retorted.

“Huh?”

“Hmm.” He smirked and got up from the sofa. “Tell me, Camille. Aren’t you tired? Tired of feeling worthless?”

“Eh?” I felt as if an arrow pierced my chest. “W-what are you talking about?”

“Aren’t you sick of all the guilt? Sick of only hurting others? Of feeling like a murderer?” His words struck accurately at my core as he began to circle me like a shark.

“I-I… no, I don’t… I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

At that moment, a firm hand was placed on my shoulder.

“Don’t you want to try being a good guy for once? Being the hero?” He whispered, pouring sweet honey into my ears. “Perhaps, there are other ways to use your powers. Ways to save people. Ways to gain… true acknowledgement.”

“ah…”

My breath was unsteady. I couldn’t compose myself. Innocent as I was, I still knew that I was merely being baited, and yet I couldn’t resist.

Because they were the words I had always wanted to hear.

“Come, young man. You don’t have to be a monster anymore. Even you can become a hero.”

And so, the golden promise was offered.

At that moment, I had already made up my mind, even if it meant selling my soul to the devil.

I knew that for a weakling like me, this would be a stupid suicide mission, but I didn’t care. I would rather die a hero than continue living as a villain. I would’ve accepted any offer to pull myself from that abyss of self-hatred.

And so it was that I became a Master.

In order to prove that even I can save the world.

In order to prove that I wasn’t just a monster…

My awakening is dull.

I don’t quite get up as much as I slowly drift to the surface of consciousness. Straddling the line of reality and dream, it takes me an unknown eternity to even realize I’m awake. It takes just as long to regain proper perception of my surroundings.

When I come to, I find myself staring at an unfamiliar ceiling. It isn’t the pitch-black void of the sky nor any building interior I recognize. I instinctively try to get up, but my body feels heavy and my head hurts, like when you oversleep.

God, how long have I been out? What was I doing last night…

Wait. Hold on. I try to search my memories and eventually pin the last thing I remember. Last, I recall I… weren’t we fighting Lancer and Saber!? What happened? Did I get knocked unconscious?

“Huh? Big Bro? Are you awake?” I soon hear a concerned voice to the side, increasing in alarm with each word.

When I turn my neck, I find two men sitting on chairs by my bedside with books in their hands. If I recall, they’re two members of Rider’s bandit crew, Scar-Face and Baldy. They’re looking at me with faces of shock and worry. When I look around, I find myself in a small, sterile white room, barely big enough for the bed and two chairs. Though the interior décor isn’t what I would recognize, I somehow get the instinctive feeling as to the purpose of the room.

“You two… where are we?” I ask them slowly; my mind still numb from slumber.

“You are awake! That’s great.” Scar Face exclaims in joy. “This is the hospital. We got you a private room.”

The two bandits immediately get up excitedly at the revelation of my awakening.

“Oi. Go tell the others Big Bro’s awake. On the double!”

“Got it!”

Baldy nods and immediately bolts out of the door, headed for who knows where. I, however, am still trying to wrap my dull head around what’s happening.

We’re in a hospital? What? But… if I remember correctly, the village we were in didn’t have any hospitals; it was too small for one. So then…

“Wait. Are we in one of Level 4’s major cities right now?” I ask with mild concern in my voice.

“No, no, we’re not on Level 4 anymore. We’re in Pinyang City. We’re on Level 1.”

“Wha-”

We’re on level 1? How could that be? It would take at least a couple of days to travel up the levels so…

“… oi. Tell me.” I ask with a slight tremble. “How long have I been asleep?”

“It’s been more than three weeks.”

As I slowly recovered from the confusion of my sudden awakening, Scar Face explained everything to me calmly from the start.

After I passed out, Saber suddenly turned sides and began helping Rider fight Lancer. Faced against two Servants including his former ally, Lancer was forced to retreat and so the battle ended shortly after. From there, everyone who had been injured including me was rushed to the nearest healer and given the utmost medical treatment possible.

Luckily, it seems that nobody died in the battle. All of the pirates that Saber cut up were badly injured, but not fatally. Apparently, when fighting them, Saber considered that they may be civilians that were being controlled or manipulated by us, so went extremely easy on them. Tch, what a goody two-shoes.

While everyone else was healed up, though, for some reason I wasn’t waking up. I had a horrible fever all throughout that wouldn’t go down no matter what they did. They don’t know what the cause was, but if I had to guess… perhaps it was mental strain from suddenly using my power for the first time in years. Anyways, with me incapacitated, it was decided, apparently by Assassin, that they couldn’t go any further and should immediately return to the Capital where I could be given the best medical treatment in the Empire. And so, it was that I was brought here and have been in a coma for more than three weeks.

“I see… so it’s all over.” I reflect on the information. It seems that our little journey had been abruptly ended and everything was settled while I was out. I’m not even sure how to feel about that.

“It was thanks to the Emperor that you got this room, by the way. Private rooms here are really expensive and typically reserved for the highest officials only.” Scar Face explains.

I nod understandingly. I see… it makes sense that they’ve already met up and reported with the Emperor now that we’re back in the capital. I’m sure Yingying was a big help there; I’ll have to thank both of them later when I get the chance.

“Speaking of which… where is everyone right now?” I wonder. They should probably be here and there in the city, so I should be able to see them soon.

“Ah, well… everyone’s rather busy. Miss Assassin’s been sort of filling your role as an advisor and working with the government officials. The princess has been in and out, visiting you twice every day, though I’m not sure what she’s doing outside of here.” He explains. “Big Sis and the others, though, are on the frontlines right now. The two of us were left here to watch and guard over you.”

“Huh? Frontlines? What are you talking about?”

“Well, while you were asleep—”

“Master! Are you okay!?”

Scar Face’s answer is abruptly interrupted by a worried shout.

I turn to find Assassin by the door way, breathless and excited. It’s clear that she must have ran here as soon as she heard I was awake. A flash of elation shows on her face the moment she sees me up…

“Ah, Assassin. Good morning… huh?” I start to greet her when I’m suddenly taken aback.

In an instant, the joy on her face disappears and quickly morphs into one of utter fury. She begins to take firm steps towards me without saying anything, raises her hand and—

“Ow!”

I yelp as she slaps me full strength across the cheek. Weak as she is, she’s still a Servant and the full force whips my neck back wildly. My entire cheek is now burning red and searing with pain.

“Hey, what was that fo-” I begin to yell back, but immediately stop short when I see her face.

Between her furrowed brows, I spot small tears forming in worried eyes.

“Are you an idiot!? What were you thinking!?” She yells, ten times louder than I ever could. The very room itself seems to shake from her righteous anger.

“Why the heck would you throw yourself into the battle when you can’t even protect yourself!? I’ve never seen anything so reckless before! Not even a child is so stupid!”

She roars through wet eyes. Even I understand what she must have been going through, how much she was worried for me as I ran at death and ended up hospitalized for weeks on end.

“Are you trying to get yourself killed!?”

“…”

I don’t have an answer.

I can’t tell her about how I don’t think I deserve to live. I can’t explain how I would rather die a hero then continue being a monster.

“… I’m sorry.”

Sincerely, I apologize. I’m… such an idiot. I’m one dense motherfucker. I selfishly and carelessly threw myself into the jaws of death, not thinking about the consequences. I didn’t even consider how Assassin must’ve been feeling.

That’s right. I’m not alone anymore. There are other people by my side now too. My recklessness endangered not only me but the other pirates and Assassin too.

Most of all, if I die, Assassin will die too… I can’t let that happen.

I can’t let Assassin die because of my selfish desires.

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.” I bow my head, having learnt my lesson.

“… you really mean it?” She asks with gentle hesitation.

“Yes. I’ve seen the error of my ways. Truly.” I bow once more.

“… geez. That’s not fair. I can’t keep being mad if you apologize like that.” She grumbles as she turns away. “I was really angry you know… I had a lot to complain about.”

“Yeah… I’m sorry.”

“Don’t keep apologizing. It’s embarrassing.” She mildly complains.

“Sorry.”

“Like I said…” She pouts as my incessant bowing.

It’s a surprisingly cute gesture; I guess she really was extremely worried about me. It’s somewhat amusing thinking of her wanting to vent all her frustrations at me, considering her usual gentle demeanor.

“Heh.” I chuckle a little at the thought.

“W-what? What’s so funny?” She picks up on my laugh, as keen as ever.

“Nothing. It’s just… I think I’m a little glad to be alive right now.” I let out my true gratitude.

“Huh? What’s that supposed to mean?” She’s naturally confused at my cryptic feelings.

“Don’t worry about it. Just let me say thank you for now.” I chuckle and seal my lips. I wouldn’t even know how to explain it.

I’d never thought about this way before but… I guess right now there’s a reason for me to be alive. If I die, Assassin will die too, so I have to stay alive no matter what.

For the longest time, I thought that the world was better off if I was dead. I wanted to find a heroic death in Chaldea and cursed myself when I was brought back to life, but…

I guess I have something to live for right now. That’s… not bad.

Wise-up! Assassin's Status
    Affection Up!
    Assassin has become a reason for living.

“Uhh… are you guys done flirting?” Scar Face abruptly chimed in.

“Oh uh…” I’m taken aback. “S-sorry. I forgot you were here.”

I uncharacteristically blush a little, thinking back to the embarrassing things I just said. Ah shit… now that I’ve said those things, Assassin might not let me live them down.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about. It’s just that I think you have another guest.” He mentions and points to the door way. At that moment,

“Is it okay to come in now?” A hauntingly familiar voice enters.

Standing there by the doorway is the female hero of justice, Saber, with a blank expression. In my memory, it was only moments ago that she was still trying to kill me, so my body trembles a little at the sight of her. But more than that… I remember what happened. I had been distracted by the whole situation with the coma, but I can’t ignore the facts any longer.

I killed her.

I can tell just by looking at her now; I see in her all the settings that I inputted. All I see in front of me is the doll that I created it.

I broke my oath. I murdered another person. I’m… still a monster.

How can I possibly live with what I’ve done?

“H-hey, Master. I don’t suppose you know what happened to her, do you? Why she suddenly joined our side?” Assassin whispers into my ear quickly.

I don’t answer her and only focus on the empty husk in front of me.

“I have come to check on your condition, my master. Are you doing well?” She reports and asks in a mechanical tone.

I can barely look at her. Every time I hear that robotic monotone, I’m reminded of what I’ve done… wait, what did she just say?

“Hold on. What was that, Saber? What do you mean by my master?” I pick up on the strange phrase and inquire.

“It is as it sounds, Master. My eyes have been opened to your ideals and have decided to assist you in your cause with utmost loyalty.” She explains.

Certainly, those were the settings I inputted into the artificial personality, but…

“As such, I have severed my previous contract with the Human Foundation. From here on, you are my Master. Please take good care of me.”

So, she says.

And when I look down at my hands, I confirm her answer. On my left hand, as before, are my precious Command Spells that link me to Assassin, all still unused. And on my right…

Three new red marks have appeared.

Servant Saber, Hu Sanniang, has become your Servant!!!

Choice!
    After being cornered, you broke your taboo and used your ability. Now, you must deal with the aftermath. How could you possibly justify such a sin? How will you continue to live with this blood on your hands?

1. Do not justify it. What I have done is unforgivable. I must accept my sins, swear to never do it again, and punish myself accordingly.
    2. I did it to protect Assassin. If it’s for her, I don’t care what I do. She is the only one who matters to me.
    3. It’s okay because she’s a Servant. Servants aren’t really people, so killing them is okay. Their lives don’t matter.
    4. I did it because she’s my enemy. I would never do it to an ally. But anyone who opposes me must be eliminated to protect my friends.
    5. There’s no problem with using my power. I know now that I am an irredeemable monster. There’s no point in pretending otherwise. So, I will use this power freely.

Wise-up: Servant Sheet Obtained
    Demonic Saber - Hu Sanniang

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    It will make things harder, and there will be many times we are forced to broke it.

But-

Blog Entries

It makes more sense to me. Odds are we'll have no choice but to do it again. Better to have an adjusted mindset ready for that eventuality than one that will break again when our hand is forced.

3 seems the right mix of problematic and useful.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

1. A protagonist having to work against their own powers is an interesting set-up, perfect for interactions with allies and enemies. And it's an interesting contrast to the setting we're working with, in which every individual is being 'put in their place' by the emperor from birth to death.

JP Friend Code
    Seems kinda slippery slope-y, but 4.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

The next day after I woke up arrives.

After everything settled down and I was walked through the aftermath of the battle, I was left alone to get some more rest. While I was down, most of my wounds were healed up, including the holes in my arms, but my body was apparently still weak, so they told me to stay in the hospital for another day or two. And so, it was that I was left to simmer in the sterile asylum, itching to be discharged. There was only so much sleeping I could do so I was starting to get horribly tired of being hospitalized.

“Hello. I came to visit. How are you doing, dear?”

“Ah. Hey.”

Just as I was feeling the pains of tedium, my lovely wife appears from the room entrance. She actually already dropped by yesterday after I woke up, but it seems she’s committed to visiting me regularly. On her face is a modest smile and in her hands are a bag and basket.

“I brought you a get-well present, fresh from the market.”

“Oh, thanks. You shouldn’t have.”

I receive the basket of fruits gratefully. In it is a horribly generous heaping of produce, far more than I consume on my own in a single day, but it’s too nice of a gesture for me to complain.

“Also, I thought you might be bored, so I brought some entertainment too.” She adds, holding up the bag.

“Oh my god, you’re a savior.” I gawk at her thoughtfulness and readily take the bag with excitement. I joyfully open it to find…

“A-are these textbooks?” I mutter, having trouble believing my eyes.

In the bag are a few thick, heavy hardback books with such exciting titles as “History of Imperial Development”, “Advanced Mathematical Theory”, and “Comprehensive Guide to Alchemic Cultivation”.

“Yup. I thought some recreational reading would do you good.” She answers with an innocent smile.

“…”

I don’t know what to say. I’ve never met anyone give textbooks as a gift outside of school nor anyone who would consider them recreational reading.

“Uhh… do you like these kinds of books, Yingying?” I meekly ask.

“Hm, yes, quite.” She nods with dignified cheer. “My mom used to read me history compilations when I was a kid and I fell in love. I practically spent half my childhood in the public library reading these.”

Ah, that makes sense. I think I understand now how Yingying grew up so smart.

“Oh!” A look of realization flashed over her face. “Could it be you don’t like them? Would you have preferred novels? I’m sorry.”

“N-no, that’s not it. I was just surprised.” I deny quickly. “I also like learning too so this is actually perfect. Thanks a lot.”

“Phew. That’s good.” She sighed with relief and settled down onto the chair next to the bed. “I would’ve been troubled if you asked me to get you erotic literature or something.”

“Oi, what kind of pervert do you take me for?”

When did she get such a bad opinion of me? What husband in the world would ask his wife to buy him porn? Is it because I talked to her about how sexy Rider and Assassin are? That was one-time thing, okay!

Anyways, with really nothing better to do, I open up the history textbook and start scanning through it, while Yingying sit by the bedside and starts peeling one of the fruits for me. After a few minutes, something crosses my mind.

“By the way, Yingying, I was wondering…” I suddenly bring up with book still in hand. “You mentioned novels earlier… is fiction common in this world?”

I consider the Imperial Examination System and wonder about the creative industry. I wouldn’t expect such a rigid system to include entertainment jobs and yet apparently novels exist. That’s rather interesting.

“Oh yes. There are people whose destiny is to produce creative stories as well. There aren’t many but their job of providing entertainment is also important to the Empire!” She answers gleefully. “I’m not too familiar, but I believe they’re usually given genres or topics to write about and then their manuscript is checked for by state editors so that the right and best stories are brought to everyone.”

So, they’re just churning out stories the Emperor wants them to and anything he doesn’t like gets censored, huh? Well, I suppose that is to be expected.

“What kind of stories are common? Like in terms of genre and stuff.”

“Oh, um… I think it’s mostly romance novels. Those are the big hits. Demon-slaying stories are also popular.”

“Demon-slaying stories?”

“Yeah. Y’know, tales about great heroes slaying evil demons and bringing peace and order to the empire. Who doesn’t love those?”

The word hero immediately piques my interest.

“… so then, you guys have a lot of hero fiction in this world? What other kinds of heroes do you have?” I press for more answers on the train of thought that I’ve picked up.

“Huh? Um… pardon me for not understanding, but what do you mean?” She seems confused. “Heroes are just the fictional warriors who defeat demons in novels, right? Are there other types of heroes?”

I’m just as confused about her confusion, but at this point, I’m rather used to the discrepancy in our world’s values.

“Well… don’t you guys have any mythological heroes?” I start asking, but quickly see the problem as it leaves my mouth.

The supernatural still demonstrably exists in this world and they have a homogenous culture, so things like myths would just be regular history for them.

“Never mind. Then, what about historical heroes? There are people in the past and even right now who’ve killed demonic beasts too, right?” I try to explain my point of view.

I know for a fact from my research that in the recorded history of this world, there has never been a single war or major rebellion, so the historical great warriors of Ancient China from my world never could’ve existed here. But if instead of fighting in wars, they were tasked with defeating demonic beasts then it would make sense for there to be legendary heroes of history.

“Ah, yes, I suppose. But… we don’t really have any stories about those people. It’s just history, after all; not worth making a dramatic story out of it.” She comments with a thoughtful expression.

I scratch my chin. So even regular people who slayed demonic beasts in the past aren’t being glorified as heroes. Certainly, in the few history books I’ve read, it rarely focuses on the individual and instead describes things in terms of the Empire developing as a whole or the decisions of the Emperor. In the consciousness of the world, it’s like the individual person doesn’t matter and everyone’s just part of the system. And it doesn’t need to be said who’s probably controlling what’s being added and kept out of the history books.

More importantly, though, if that’s the case then doesn’t that mean that in this world, heroes are not people who can exist in reality? The fantasy that individual people can accomplish great things is but a fantasy? Hence, they only exist in fiction and literature? So then… what does that mean for Heroic Spirits?

Could it be that the only type of Servants who can be summoned in this world are…

“Huh. That’s interesting.” I note the theory I just came to.

“Hm? What is it, dear?”

“No, nothing. I just… found a useful piece of data. Thanks as always.”

Well, I didn’t even think about it before, but it seems that I’ve accidently solved a hidden mystery about this world.

“Oh yeah. By the way…”

After the elucidating conversation, we returned to our idling, both of us reading different books side by side, when I once again thought of something I needed to say.

“This is a bit late but… I’m sorry about your family.” I awkwardly apologize to Yingying. “Because I got hurt, our journey was cut short as was your time with your family. You had just got to see them and all.”

I think back to how happy she was to see them again and that innocent family table. I wasn’t there but I’m sure she must’ve been devastated when we had to leave. I’m sure she’s still heartbroken.

“It’s all my fault, so I apologize. It’s not much but I’ll try to make it up to you however I can. So, if there’s anything you want, just let me know.” I tell her firmly, prepared to take responsibility and receive her rebuke. And yet—

“Hehehe.”

For some reason, she giggled instead.

“W-what? Did I say something funny?” I question her strange reaction with true surprise.

“No, no. It’s just that… Assassin told me that you would say that. Almost word for word” She chuckles lightly.

“Eh? Really!?” I exclaim and furrow my brow as I don’t particularly like the idea of Assassin being able to predict my actions. “E-even so I…”

“C’mon, don’t make that kind of gloomy face, dear. It’s not really your fault so there’s no need to feel guilty.” She states with a tender sincerity. “You don’t have to take responsibility for everything. There are some burdens you don’t have to carry.”

Suddenly, she places her hand on top of mine. The abrupt contact makes me flinch; I feel the warmth of her skin flow into mine.

“To begin with, I had never expected that I would’ve seen them again anytime soon, so it was already a tremendous gift being able to visit them at all, nothing short of a miracle. And I know how much you went out of your way to bring me there so… if anything, I should be the one thanking and repaying you…”

As she says so, her chair begins to draw closer. Earnest eyes of appreciation stare at me with intent. A gulp is forced down my throat; I reflexively draw back, turning my head away from her.

“D-don’t be silly. That’s only natural, since we’re friends and I’m your h-h-husband. You don’t need to thank me.” I reply utterly flustered.

“Then, you don’t need to apologize to me, right? Since I’m your wife.” She beams confidently.

“Hrmmm… Fine.” I mumble with nothing to retort.

I don’t feel satisfied, but I can’t argue with her. Is it just me or has she gotten more assertive while I was asleep?

“A-anyways,” I quickly try to change the subject. “Is there anything else that Assassin told you? N-nothing bad, I hope.”

“Oh, uh, well…” She suddenly draws back as if taken aback by the question.

She pauses for a moment and, for some reason, her cheeks turn a little red.

“Well… she gave me some advice… on how to repay you…” She admitted nervously.

“Oh? Well I already said you don’t need to but, out of curiosity, what did she say?” I innocently wonder.

Yingying seems hesitant to answer. Ah, she must feel embarrassed since I just told her that she doesn’t need to thank me in any way. It’s like explaining your elaborate plan after the fact. Makes sense, makes sense.

“Well, f-first…”

“Hello, there. I’m not interrupting, am I?”

“Wah”

Just as Yingying’s about to answer, another voice arrives at the door, causing her to yelp. Sometimes I forget we’re in a public hospital; that interruption was certainly a surprise. But even more so is the man standing there.

“Emperor...”

“Father!”

In the doorway is none other than the magnificent Emperor Yao, dressed in his fancy white and gold robe. The moment she notices him, Yingying immediately gets up and straightens herself with dignified poise.

“Good day. I heard you had woken up, so I thought I’d come to check up on you. And I’m glad to see that you two are getting along well.” The Emperor comments casually.

“Of course, Father.” Yingying answers politely.

“I also brought you a gift. Do get well soon.” He adds, holding up a basket of fruit.

“O-oh… thank you.” I receive the present as a courtesy but with hidden reluctance.

Why do you guys keep bringing baskets of fruit? This one’s even bigger than Yingying’s! I can’t eat them all before I get discharged. Please stop destroying the produce market for me.

Still, it’s rather surprising to be seeing the Emperor outside of the castle like this and weird to think he came all this way for me. At the same time, though, the overwhelming presence he has hasn’t died; it still feels like he’s looking down on me even as he exchanged cordial greetings.

Just as I’m trying to think of how to thank him, he turns his head to Yingying with an intent look.

“Actually, there’s some business I would like to discuss. Would you give us some privacy, dear?” He tells her. Though he says it in a polit question, it’s clear to me that his words are an order.

“Of course, Father. I was just about to leave anyways.” She bows her head in agreement.

There’s something different about her right now. It feels like the warm person I was chatting with seconds ago has suddenly frozen cold. And just like that, she gets her stuff and heads for the door.

“Farewell. I’ll visit again later, dear.” She gives her partings and leaves.

That’s… well, not anything I didn’t expect. I’ll try not to think too much about it right now.

Anyways, I refocus on the Emperor who was waiting for Yingying to leave.

“So then, what was it that you wanted to discuss?” I ask as timidly as ever. He is unfazed and continues calmly.

“First, I wanted to congratulate you on your achievements. I was very impressed when you returned with two new Servants.” He praises me. “Both Rider and Saber have been a big help while you were asleep, and I certainly would rather they not be our enemies.”

“Ah, thank you.” I nod but keep my head down. I can’t really feel like I deserve such recognition, since I really didn’t do much at all. I still haven’t done anything truly amazing…

“Further, I wanted to check how much you know about the current situation on our hands.” He says.

“Ah, yes. Assassin told me everything yesterday.” I confirm. “It’s the demons, right?”

It happened during my coma, or so I’m told. Out of nowhere, a horde of demonic beasts suddenly attacked major cities on Level 5, doing a lot of damage. It was nothing like ever seen before, not a random attack done by bestial instinct but an organized and unified maneuver. As we had suspected before, it seems that someone or something is controlling the demons as their leader and has declared war on the Empire. So, right now, all of Level 5 has become a battlefront between the Imperial and Demonic Armies. Rider is also down there right now, already helping out in the fight.

“Don’t worry, I know what I have to do. Once I’m discharged, I’ll head down there immediately with Assassin and Saber to take on the beasts.” I give him a firm answer full of resolve.

I’m already burning with fighting spirit and have gathered my courage. To be honest, I was already raring to go the moment Assassin told me yesterday but got scolded to rest for at least one more day. The second I get out of this bed, I’m ready to do whatever I can to help; I might not be very competent but there must be something I can do. Or so I think, but…

“No, you will not.”

“Huh?”

I’m completely thrown off guard. For some reason, the Emperor firmly shuts down my resolve. My jaw merely hands their entirely shook.

“Hmm…” He gives a complicated look as he sighs. “Listen, I’ll only say this once. You are not to head down there and are to stay on standby until I call on you. I came here today to tell you this.”

“Wh- b-but why!?” I yell back once I regain myself. “How can I just stay on the sidelines? People are dying! I have to help.”

“Calm down and think.” The Emperor replies, still unfazed.

“How can I possibly calm down!?”

Now I’m feeling agitated. I was doing what I could to follow better judgement and get some rest, but there’s no way I can not do anything. But most of all, it’s pissing me off how cold the Emperor is being.

“Then, tell me.” He responds with a harsh tone. “What do you think would happen if two powerful Servants were to clash with their Noble Phantasms underground?”

“Well, that’s… ah.”

I begin to think… and in moments realize what he means.

Noble Phantasms are weapons and abilities of truly awesome power, comparable to modern artillery. If such powers were to meet head to head on Level 5, the damage wouldn’t be trivial, especially with Anti-Army or Anti-Fortress Noble Phantasms. So then…

“This Empire wasn’t designed for such superhuman battles. There’s a very good chance that an all-out clash may lead to irreparable damage, or worse a complete collapse.” He explains to me like a lecturer scolding an unruly kid. “This isn’t a battle we can merely settle with pure force. What is needed right now are tactics rather than power. We’ll have to be very careful how we handle this, so we can’t risk fielding your Servants until we can lure the enemy onto a safe battleground, which may take weeks or months. Even if that means taking losses in the short run. I hope you can understand.”

“…” I don’t respond, ashamed at my own lack of foresight.

“Right now, I’m having Rider lend her expertise since she’s experienced in indirect combat, but she should be returning here soon. I’d like you all to remain in the capital until further instructions. Understood?” He commands.

I grit my teeth. I don’t want to let the Emperor boss me around, but most of all, I can’t stand sitting on the sidelines while other people are fighting. But… I’ve already learned what happens when I recklessly run into a battle, I shouldn’t be a part of. I’ve already been scolded for it and seen the consequences of my action. Because I made that choice, that mistake, I now know what I have to do…

“I understand.” I admit defeat.

The room becomes silent. I feel the weight of my uselessness upon me. I wish that there was something I could, but know just how helpless I truly am.

“Don’t worry.” The Emperor suddenly says in an almost… reassuring tone. “You’ve already done well recruiting Saber and Rider. You’ve done your part, so leave the rest to us for now. Take a break and recover your strength. When the time comes, I’ll call upon you again.”

“Ah, right.” I simply nod since I’m not sure how to respond to what might be an attempt to comfort me.

“If you’re feeling restless, why don’t you take this as an opportunity to settle other important matters. For example,” He breaks out a refreshing grin. “I’ve heard you still haven’t consummated your marriage yet.”

“Geh. Who told you that?” I flinch at the sudden topic change and leaking of my personal info. I swear if Assassin was blabbing again.

“The princess herself.”

“Ah, well… yeah… that makes sense.” I scratch my head.

Considering how loyal she is to the Emperor, I can’t fault her for that if she was directly asked. Especially since apparently that’s part of the test the Emperor gave me, so reporting the results only makes sense.

“I’m glad to hear that you two are getting along, but don’t forget your duties.” He makes a jovial remark with an underlying seriousness. “As I’ve said, don’t disappoint me.”

“Right…” I can only mutter in front of my overbearing father-in-law.

“Well, that’s all I wanted to say. If there’s nothing else, I’ll be taking my leave.” He comments, prepared to head out.

“Oh, wait. There’s actually one thing.” I hastily stop him from going. “Um, well… I wanted to ask if you’ve located where the Fantasy Tree is.”

“…”

The moment I ask him that, the atmosphere changes. It’s an abrupt shift, turning the hospital room into a frozen cellar. He doesn’t respond immediately but shows no emotion as to why. At last, after a long pause, he responds.

“Yes, we have.”

“Oh? That’s great. Where is it?” I ask excitedly despite the tension in the air.

“I can’t tell you.”

“Huh? What, why?”

“There’s no need for you to know… not yet.”

“…”

I’m left speechless at his cryptic answer.

“Well, then, I ought to return to the palace. They’ll start looking for me if I’m gone too long.” He makes that comment and swiftly departs before I can say anything more. It was almost like he was running away.

“… dammit. What was that about?”

I complain as I sink back into the bed, thinking about everything that had just happened and all that I was told.

As I thought, I still can’t get a grasp on the Emperor. He’s just too fishy. At one moment, he casually visited me in person and seemed to try and comfort me when I was feeling down. But at the same time, he’s the one responsible for this world’s harsh system and he’s clearly still hiding some major secrets from me.

The matter of the Fantasy Tree in particular was one that has been on my mind for a while. I just can’t figure out where it could be. It’s too big and fancy not to be conspicuous for people not to notice it; surely someone in the empire should have seen it and rumors should be spreading. And yet there has been no such things when I was travelling around the empire across all levels. But the Emperor is clearly confident in its location. So, where the hell could it be?

“Well, for now, let’s just consider that another mystery to solve later.”

The Emperor was right; I should look on the bright side and take this break from battle as a chance to do other important things. If possible, I’d also like to better prepare myself for the coming battle… especially so that nothing like last time happens again.

Yesterday, I made my resolution. I don’t want to use this power if I can, but if it comes down to it, I will use it to defeat any enemy that gets in my way. That is the only way I can protect the people important to me. If it’s for them, I’m okay with being a monster…

“Hah, I guess Lancer was right.”

In the end, I’ve also decided to selfishly flaunt my unfair power. I’ve decided to go past discussion and settle altercations with sheer force. I’m no better than him, if not worse.

But even so, this is the path I’ve chosen. So, all that’s left to decide is where I will go…

Choice!
    You have been given a break from battle and a chance to do as you please. This is both a chance to do things you want, recover your strength, and also prepare for the inevitable battles that are to come. You must now decide what you would like to do.

First, what preparations would you like to make?
    1. Do more research into this world
    2. Improve your magecraft
    3. Train yourself physically
    4. Try to find out what Servants are in the enemy forces and their True Names
    5. Work on everyone’s teamwork with team-building exercises
    6. Practice your esper powers so you won’t fall under the strain next time (Will need a practice target)

Next, decide how and with whom you would like to spend your precious time?
    A. Go on dates with Yingying
    B. Hang out with Assassin
    C. Start looking for a husband for Rider
    D. Settle your difficult relationship with Saber
    E. Get to know the Emperor better
    F. Find some precious alone time for yourself

You may choose up to two for each question

Blog Entries
    1 + 3
    ​C + E

Now Revamped!

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    1 + 4
    B + E

I want to know about Rider too honestly, but I feel like I barely know a thing about our bro.

2 and 5.

C and E.

So many tempting options.

Blog Entries
    Hm...

1 and 2

B and C.

E is tempting, but he just saw the Emperor and won’t have much new to add or ply him with - so it might be better to do what he suggested and recover/build up. And it feels worth checking in with Rider and co. given what they went through.

Saber.....

Signature by fumato

1 and 2

B and C.

... I honestly doubt that Camille will be able to improve his magecraft even here, but I'm mostly curious about his family and what are his thoughts of his magecraft and his own inability compared to the other Crypters ?

Evil of Humanity Half-Blood Master's Avatar
    1 and 2
    B and C

Going to the emperor after just talking to him is like getting out of a cutscene and immediately trying to initiate conversation with the character you were having the cutscene with. They aren't gonna spill the beans.

This reasoning is valid because Zikari operates with videogame logic nodnod
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, July 20th 2019
    We gave HBM, of all people, access to a morals loosening field
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux, December 25th 2019
    Senta deserves the right to a life where she gets to choose if she's actually a Nazi
    True Rider
    A wise and beautiful woman who exudes an aura of grace. She is a sly, cunning, manipulative person who always gets what she wants, whether through trickery or ruthlessness. Her own fighting abilities are low, but she should not be trifled with. What does she ride? Men, of course!

Blog Entries
    Interlude:
    Meanwhile; Elsewhere

A myriad of possibilities flies in the face of Fate. There is naught but one path, but many worlds racing to the top. It should not be forgotten that more than one epic adventure is taking place upon this bleached white world.

So, let us now take a pause from the chronicles of our hero and his merry companions to return to a time when he was still unconscious and visit his peers, the next saviors of humanity, the Crypters. What trials and tribulations could they possibly be facing at the moment?

Lostbelt: Kingdom of Shadows, Skye
    Depth: C

The Kingdom of Shadows, Skye. This is the Lostbelt that Garou Zelus was assigned with his Caster Servant. Encompassing modern Scotland and Northern Ireland, it was a small, but stable worldline besuited to its violent Crypter. Even now, under the overcast sky, a fierce battle was taking place.

“Oraaaaa!!!”

“Hah!”

The sound of metal meeting metal reverberated through the area. For the umpteenth time, the two warriors clashed and separated, pouring their fighting spirit into every blow. Power met power, sword met sword, fire met fire as neither was willing to submit without a fatal fight. It does even need to be mentioned that one of the warriors was none other than the Crypter of this world, Garou Zelus. Though his opponent was a Heroic Spirit of great renown, he showed no fear and pressed on with everything he had. There was naught in his eyes but the determination to win.

But, of course, the outcome was already decided.

“There!”

For the last time the two warriors clashed… and the battle was decided.

“Uhhh… no way…”

Garou exclaimed with his last breath before falling to his knees. It was merely a single moment of weakness, but his opponent did not let any opening go free; his spear ripped through Garou’s chest like a hot knife on butter. It was, of course, a fatal blow.

With a gaping hole where his heart used to be, Garou fell. His body quickly lost color and motion. He became a mere corpse.

“Ah, geez. Not again.”

At that moment, the servant Caster who had been watching on the sidelines walked up with a pout. Though her Master had just been slain in mortal combat, she showed no concern and merely seemed annoyed.

Once she was next to the corpse, she held out her hand and a stream of flame magically sprung forth from it. The fire quickly consumed Garou’s body, turning it into a smoldering bonfire. Yet, within the blaze, his body did not reduce to ash; instead, it began to recompose itself. In mere seconds, the gaping wound in his chest began to close up. Flesh reformed itself and color returned to the body. Within a few minutes, his body was back to full health.

“Woooh, I’m back!” Garou immediately shouted as he regained consciousness. With a leap, he got back on his feet and the flame around his body dissipated. “Did you heal me, Caster? Thanks!”

“Geez, please be more careful. It’s not good to keep dying over and over, even if I can heal you.” Caster complained, patting off some remaining ashes from his reformed body.

“Aw, c’mon, don’t be like that. Aren’t we buds?” He laughed heartily and patted her on the back. “Well, even if you didn’t heal me, it would be fine. So, don’t worry about it!”

Though she didn’t like to admit it, Caster couldn’t deny Garou’s words. After all, even if she didn’t heal him, he would’ve been back on his feet in a few hours. That was how this world worked.

The Kingdom of Shadows, Skye. A world without death.

In this world, people cannot die. That was the simple law of land. Even if they were punctured and left bleeding out like Garou had been, it is impossible to pass on to the next life. It is not a matter of the constitution of the people who lived her obtaining immortality; it was the very world itself that lacked the concept of death. No matter who you were, native, outsider, or Servant, it was impossible to die. As long as you were in this world, you were truly immortal. Whether you wanted to be or not.

“Glad to have you back, Garou. Those were some nice moves there.” Another voice interrupted the Master and Servant. It was Garou’s opponent, returning after having gone to wipe off some sweat from the short bout.

“Ah, you’re just saying that, man. I know you were going easy on me.” Garou chuckled in response. “But don’t think I’m content. I’ll definitely surpass you soon, Ferdiad.”

“Hahaha, well good luck with that. Don’t think I’ll give up so easily.” The hero known as Ferdiad laughed, confident in his victory. After all, he hadn’t lived for 2000 years, honing his skills, for nothing.

The two men shared a firm, manly handshake to celebrate their sparring match. Caster could only watch from the side with a sigh, not understanding the intricacies of their manly friendship.

“Are you boys done?”

Another voice appeared on the field. This time though it was the somber, gentle tone of a woman. Like a phantom, a purple-haired beauty appeared from the shadows of the castle.

“Yo, Queen! Wanna join us?” Garou greeted the newcomer with friendly vigor.

“I will have to decline your offer, Magus.” The Queen politely refused. “But there is some ice cream prepared in the castle. I came to see if you boys would like some refreshment.”

“Oooh, yes, yes. I love ice cream!” Garou bellowed.

“I will also gladly accept your offer, Queen.” Ferdiad politely responded with a bow.

And so, it was that the part began to return to the castle for a break from their training. As they travelled, though, Caster suddenly interrupted Garou’s usual boisterousness.

“By the way, how’s the King right now?” She asked the Queen with a voice of concern.

Emotionless as ever, the queen answered plainly.

“He’s on the roof. Still thinking…”

At that very moment, a heavy pair of eyes was watching over the group.

But they were not the only thing in his vision; his view stretched out to every corner of the country. His gaze encompassed the entire kingdom, his kingdom. For it was his responsibility as king to oversee the entire nation.

The king of this Lostbelt, the King of Shadows, was once again watching over the world from the top of the castle as he always did. Sitting alone on the roof, he merely took in the land that he had inherited 2000 years ago. It was only here that he could truly feel the burden of his responsibility.

The magus from Chaldea had brought to him the fated news. This immortal world was finally on the verge of death. After two long millennia, the end was near. At last, a release from this twisted fate could be found.

And yet… was it truly right to accept the end so readily? What was his responsibility as the king of this world? Were there not people within his kingdom still clinging to life, unable to accept their own demise? Do they not deserve to live, mad as they are?

Such burdens continued to plague his thoughts. Even weary from millennia, he continued to the heavy crown he stole.

In his hands, as always, was the fated spear, now blackened from the blood of his loved ones. It is the key to this world’s destiny, the final gift she gave to him. He knew well what power it held.

So, all he had left to do was decide who to use it on…

Lostbelt: Endless Spiritual Realm, Gälûñ’lätï
    Depth: B

“Wooohoooo!!!”

A shout of pure joy reverberated through the forest.

Wilhelm Friedrich was running with all his might. Though no doubt an indoors-type researcher, he exerted his physical body to its limit as he sprinted amongst the woods.

Around him was nature as far as the eye could see. Trees, flowers, wildlife abound created a verdant landscape one could only find in certain places in the previous world. But here, such a sight was more common than not, and it made running a real pain in the ass.

“Heeeelp! Somebody help!”

Abruptly, another voice resounded through the woods. When Wilhelm turned to look, he saw another man in an unfortunate situation. Dressed lightly in traditional garbs, he was brandishing a spear in his two hands against a giant wolf-like beast that was slowly making its way closer. The man was shivering in fear and merely yelling out whatever he could in desperation.

“No, no, noooo, stay back! Please! Somebody help me- GAAAAAHHHH” He made a final howl before releasing a blood-curdling scream as the wolf devoured him whole.

There was nothing Wilhelm could do. Even if he wanted to, he lacked the luxury for concern; after all, there was a reason that he was running himself.

“Garraaaaaaaghghhhghghhh!!!”

Just as he was distracted, a roar erupted from behind him and the beast took a swift swipe with its claws. Alerted by the sound, Wilhelm reflexively dodge to the side, barely avoiding the fatal slash. As he did so, the paw hit a tree in the way and completely tore through the trunk; if it had hit him instead, he would certainly be dead.

“Okay, now what do I do?” He grimaced, barely staying calm, and kept running from sweet and certain mauling.

With what composure he could muster, he quickly analyzed the situation, searched for a solution, formed numerous potentials, and tested each hypothesis. Such was the capability of one of humanity’s greatest masters. And in an instant, he found his answer.

“Over here!” He cheered as he ran and the beast followed, ignorant of his plan.

With all his might and magically reinforced legs, Wilhelm ran towards a patch of brush he saw nearby and dived into it. A few bushes were incapable of stopping the beast though; it pounced after him, ready to tear the entire area apart if it needed to.

But it found no human there. It certainly saw him divine into the bush, but he was no longer there, as if he had suddenly vanished. There was no explanation for it.

It stubbornly continued to search for the delectable human for a few more minutes before deciding to give up and sullenly trotting away.

“Phew, that was close.” Wilhelm commented as he saw the beast leave the clearing.

All along, he had been watching far from above, hanging from the branch at the top of a tree. His little disappearance act was simply the result of a little magic trick of his; while the beast was confused, he got to safety and waited for it to give up.

Once again, he narrowly avoided death. All with a giant smile on his face. His heart was beating at a breakneck pace. He had never felt a thrill like this before in the old world.

This was Galun’lati, the Lostbelt that he had been assigned. In this world, named after Cherokee legend, man and nature continued to live in harmony, untainted by the rampant destruction and pollution of technology. True Ether flowed freely through the air and phantasmal beasts continued to roam the land. It was a lostbelt where humanity was no longer the top dog, one in which they were merely another cog in the beautiful machine known as Earth.

It was a world without corruption.

Now safe, Wilhelm got out of the tree and cautiously made his way back to the base that they had set up. Once he returned to the hidden burrow that they had dug out, he was immediately greeted by his Servant.

“Master. Are you safe?” Rider asked with only professional concern.

“Yes, Rider. Perfectly well.” Wilhelm simply replied.

He had been on the brink of death and his expensive suit was caked in mud, grass, and dirt, but he couldn’t be happier. What he gained was far more valuable.

“Here are the reports from the Discovery Corps. Their expedition is going smoothly.” Rider stated as he handed a stack of papers to Wilhelm.

“Wonderful. Tell Lewis to keep up the hard work.” Wilhelm commanded with a grin as he added his own set of papers to the stack.

These were what he risked his life for. Precious data that he and his Servant were painstakingly gathering on this world. For these, it didn’t matter how many times he needed to be in danger.

There was no doubt that his attitude at that moment was uncharacteristically childish, unsuited for the noble gentleman that he always was, but he couldn’t help it. Ever since he was born, there had only been one thing driving him: curiosity. It was for that reason alone that he had become such an exceptional magus.

This Lostbelt is truly in all manners the “New World”. Creatures, plants, minerals, and laws far beyond his imagination were right there before him. How could he calm himself in this giant playground? Surely, this must be his reward for all the hard work he put in.

To be honest, though he played the part of the responsible gentleman, his true self was nothing of the sort; he was just as easily excitable and wild as the rest of them. He didn’t actually care about the contest between Lostbelts. He didn’t care about the fate of humanity. He simply continued to chase the new and cool as he always did.

“Now then. Let us continue the investigation.”

Lostbelt: Paradise of Purity, Fairyland
    Depth: D

“Ahhhhhhhh~~ This is heaven~~”

A sound of absolute pleasure could be heard coming from the humble abode of Bianca Chrome, the Crypter of Fairyland. Unashamed of her sensual noises, she fully immersed herself in a hot rose bath. Enveloped in the crystal-clear water and sweet aroma, she completely relaxed her body, forgetting her original purpose of washing off the paint on her body.

“Master, forgive me for interrupting, but I would like to remind you that it is uncouth for a lady of your stature to make such sounds.” Saber scolded from behind the door of the bath.

“Ah, Saber? Were you listening? Sorry, sorry, I’ll try to control myself.” She beamed as she heard her Servant’s voice.

“Also, I’ve prepared some tea for you. I’ll place it on the table, so feel free to enjoy it after your bath. It’s your favorite loose leaf.” He stated with the tone of a caring butler.

“Oh, you sweetie, you shouldn’t have~” She happily muses on his gesture. “Thank you, Saber! Love you~~♥”

So it was, in such a way, that Bianca spent her days, doing nothing but enjoying her perfect life in this new world. Day in and day out, she took in the beautiful sights, painted as she pleased, ate good food, and enjoyed countless luxuries. Unlike the others, there was no conflict to challenge, no enemy to fight, merely a perfect and peaceful paradise to love.

This was Fairyland, the Lostbelt assigned to her, encompassing the area of England. It was utopia blanketed in sheer beauty. It was a world without war.

Everywhere as far as the eye could see was a vibrant landscape of elegant nature and mystical civilization fusing together. Countless fantasy creatures grazed the fields aplenty, but none were violent; they lived in absolute unity with humanity. But surpassing any of that was the splendor of its maidens.

Nymph-like elven belles composed the humanity of this world, each as elegant and seductive as a goddess. Golden hair flowing like jeweled silk, alabaster skin shining in the sunlight, gentle and peaceful demeanors uncorrupted by the evils of violence, slender yet voluptuous frames beyond human possibility, these were but a few of the superhuman qualities of the countless women in this world. With no regard for age, each and every female in this world was a completely perfect specimen of attractiveness.

Such a thing could only be compared to paradise. Any man who found themselves here would surely lose himself in the sheer spectacle of this male fantasy. But, unfortunately, no such person existed. There was no man to enjoy this harem-esque paradise… for there were no men here at all. The last one vanished long, long ago.

That is the truth of this paradise: a world without men, therefore, a world without war.

No, that was only true until a little while ago. For now, after many, many years, a man had finally intruded upon this closed world, the man known as Saber.

“What do you make of him, Isabelle?”

“The foreign warrior?”

At that very moment, as Bianca was submerging herself in relaxation, two such elven beauties were discussing that very matter elsewhere in Fairyland over afternoon tea. They were citizens of this Lostbelt who had met Bianca and Saber not too long ago.

“Yes… him. What do you think?”

“Well, I’m not so sure. I always thought men were just a myth; I never thought I would ever actually meet one.”

“I as well… but is it not said that men are like horrible beasts who only act upon their instincts? Is it really okay for him to be here?”

“I wonder… he seems nice enough…”

Their voices were filled with uncertainty. Such sentiments were common among Fairyland now. Everyone was curious about this newcomer known as man whom they had only heard myths about. Other maidens have even reported feeling strange when they saw the handsome foreigner. Their heartrate increased, their faces became flustered, and their palms became sweaty. Though the reason for this illness was unknown, it was undeniable what the source was. Saber was corrupting this world and its inhabitants. His mere presence was threatening the purity of this land. So, it was obvious what needed to be done. Before he could cause anymore damage, he should be eliminated… like the rest. And yet—

“I wonder why the Queen hasn’t done anything yet.”

“Indeed. What could she be thinking?”

From atop the castle of Fairyland, a lone elven queen rested in her private chamber. But her mind at that moment was at anything but ease; before her was a magic mirror allowing her to watch others within her kingdom from afar. On it was the image of Saber in his full splendor, still waiting outside Bianca’s bath patiently. The sight filled her with a rush of incomprehensible emotions. With an undeniable pain in her heart, a single name escaped her rosy lips.

“Tom…”

It was a voice of yearning, a long-forgotten love. Any who heard it would know that it was an omen of certain tragedy to come.

But of course, at that moment, Bianca was none the wiser. Carefree as always, she merely soaked in her bath thinking everything was going perfectly.

“Hm~ I wonder what the others are doing right now~” She cheerfully mused, ignorant of the calamity soon to come.

But that’s a fairy tale for later…

References
    Caster
    Ferdiad
    Queen Uathach
    King of Skye
    Rider
    Queen of Fairyland

Blog Entries

Lostbelt:
    Garden of Pleasure, Eden
    Depth: A+

Warning! The following segment is rated R18+ and contains explicit content not safe for work!
    This segment is not essential to the story. Reader Discretion is highly adviced!

NSFW
    Eden.

A word that anyone would recognize, synonymous with paradise or utopia. It is none other than the Garden of God where man once lived before sin, humanity’s primordial homeland. And it is here in this Lostbelt that Christoph von Beultzing found himself.

“Oh, yes, yes, yes, there, right there!”

“Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, harder, fuck me harder!”

“Ahhhhhhh, ah, ah, hah, hah, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!”

Countless sounds of pleasure echoed through the city. Moaning, shrieking and incomprehensible words littered the streets like commonplace gossip. As far as the eye could see, there was nothing but a sea of naked bodies joining in unison and drowning in lust. Location or privacy mattered not, people did it inside and outside, in their free time or at work, with one or with many, all as they pleased. None were exempt; the very world itself felt draped in depravity.

The only exception, of course, was Christoph who at that moment was watching the spectacle in the city’s main square from the sidelines. The Crypter was emotionless; he was neither aroused nor disgusted with the sight. The presence of hundreds of people engaging in intercourse didn’t bother him, just as nothing ever did.

This was Eden, the Lostbelt he had been assigned. It was truly the paradise that the bible described, the Garden of Pleasure as promised.

Just as man had been before the fall, the people of this world have no concept of shame. They know not of good and evil nor understand the meaning of guilt. Thus, without the poisonous wisdom of the serpent, they exist as God had intended, innocent as the beasts.

The Lord had instructed them to “be fruitful and multiply” so they did. Ignorant of any other way of life, they spilled their seed freely among bountiful gardens. That was the only logic needed in this world, the only law they needed to live by. Each and every human here was a true believer; there could not possibly be a world more devout than this. Everything they did, every time they fucked, it was in the name of Lord.

Christoph understood it well.

This was truly a word without sin. In a paradise without right or wrong, there was never anything to be ashamed of. And all these people joined together in eternal prayer… was there ever a more beautiful sight?

But still he felt like an outsider. Still as chaste as he was upon birth, he merely watched the festivities of the city forever engaged in orgy with no intention of joining in.

At that moment, for instance, he had left his quarters to get lunch and some fresh air. He got some sandwiches from a stall by the side of the road that he liked; naturally, the pretty lady at the booth was being pounded as she served him. He liked the view of the fountain by the Main Square, so he decided to have lunch there. That was all the motivation guiding him. The fact that the Main Square was also home to the largest amount of debauchery had zero influence on his choice.

“…”

By his side, Berserker was also seated, silently eating her share of the lunch. She, like him, was also unperturbed by the situation of the Lostbelt. Perhaps it was only natural that she took after him. After all, she was his Servant and his creation. The being that he personally gave life to would naturally be as innocent as him.

“Well, well, what are you doing over here, cutie?”

Abruptly, a voice called out to him, interrupting his peaceful lunch. Once he realized he was being addressed, he looked up to find a gorgeous woman talking to him. And yet, even as she spoke to him casually, there was another man hungrily embracing her from behind.

“Why are you just sitting there, silly? Come and join in; I’ll be your partner.” She invited with a tantalizing tone whilst making a seductive gesture.

“… I’m fine.” Christoph quietly responded.

“Hm, is that so? What a shame, you’re so cute. Well, suit yourself.” The woman shrugged and returned to pleasuring the man behind her.

All the same, Christoph returned to his lunch in silence. No erection, no excitement, no emotion, he still felt nothing. He merely buried himself in deep thought whilst reviewing all that he had witnessed in this Lostbelt.

Among the sea of lustful purity and innocent depravity, he contemplated the same question that has been plaguing him since youth.

I wonder… Is this what it means to be human?

Lostbelt: The Electric Frontier, Aquarius
    Depth: E

“Haaah haah…”

The man was panting.

With hurried breath, he sprinted through the city with superhuman speed. He ran between buildings, leaped from wall to wall, ducked in and out of alleyways, and simply moved as fast as he could with no regard for safety. He did whatever he could to gain as much distance as physically possible.

Yet, no matter how fast he travelled, he could not escape his pursuer.

The man was no ordinary person, as his fancy armaments may suggest. He was a Servant, a Heroic Spirit summoned here by the Human Foundation to destroy this world. From what he was told, this place should be a Lostbelt, an alternate world with a different history. In order to protect his own world, he had to destroy this and so the man was summoned with enthusiasm. He would do whatever it took to win as the literal fate of humanity rested on his shoulders. No matter what legendary opponent faced him, even some godly King, he believed that he would fight honorably to his last breath.

So why was he now running?

“Shit, a dead end.”

The Servant cursed as he leaped over a metal fence only to find a concrete wall in his way. In the darkness of night, he made a mistake in his navigation, a mistake that would cost him his life. Before he could decide whether to try breaking through the building in his way or double back, his choices had run out. An instant later, he felt an ungodly presence approach from behind.

“…”

Speech was ripped from his throat. He could only watch the incoming opponent with bated breath. A neon sign above illuminated the figure as it also jumped over the fence and landed several meters away from the Servant. This was the man that he had been running from so desperately.

In the darkness, the man’s features could hardly be made out, but he looked to be in his early or mid-twenties. Most of all, though, now that he was this close-up, it became obvious.

The man was not a Servant. He was merely a normal human.

This quickly confused the Servant. His opponent wasn’t another Heroic Spirit as he thought, nor was it some superhuman protector of this world. It was just a regular dude. So then why did all of his instincts tell him to run?

Even now, an unmistakable aura was emitting from the man. The Servant knew the feeling well; he had experienced it before in his life when he faced a wandering swordsman by the name of Musashi. But how was that possible? How could this normal person have the same aura as the greatest swordsman of all time?

“… hear me, stranger. My name is Tadashima Akiyama of the Saber-class. If you are a warrior too, name thyself!” The Servant declared while brandishing his sword.

There was nowhere left to run so all that was left was combat. Moreover, he could not help but wish to confirm the identity of this strange man before him.

“…”

But there was no response. Facing Akiyama’s gesture, the man neither spoke nor moved.

“Insolent knave. Do you know no honor?” Akiyama roared.

“…”

But once again, there was no answer.

This settled it for Akiyama. He must’ve been mistaken or there must’ve been a trick. There’s no way this impudent nobody could possibly be a threat. He knows neither honor or respect so there could not possibly any martial ability under his belt. This was but an empty threat; he should pay his instincts no heed.

“Very well. If you will not respond, I shall drag the answer out of your throat. Prepare thyself!” He makes a final declaration and then readies himself.

The man, as always, does not react, not even taking a battle stance. Akiyama decided that that would be his last act of disrespect.

“Haaa!!!”

With a roar, the battle began. The Saber-class Servant leapt from his place and charged forward violently. His speed was truly inhuman; he crossed the few meters in an instant. His charging body was like a lightning bolt, and his blade was like a storm. No one in his path could possibly survive.

The man did not react. He did not have time to. Any normal human would be killed before they could even blink. Saber did not care. He merely slashed at his defenseless opponent without a shred of mercy. The first and final strike of the fight.

It was instantly over.

The two clashed and decided the match with a single blow. To no one’s surprise, the victor had been decided from the very beginning.

“… impossible.”

The words escaped Akiyama’s throat. The next moment, his sword dropped to the floor. In shock and pain, he no longer had the strength to hold it. In the next moment, he followed and dropped to his knees.

How could this be? In disbelief, he looked over his shoulder at the man who had defeated him. In the figure’s hand now was a new item, Saber’s still beating heart. In a single motion, with utmost precision, the man had ripped out the Servant’s spiritual core, thereby ending the simple battle.

Nothing but regret filled Akiyama as he lamented his foolishness. He had been completely wrong. This man was certainly no normal human. That much was clear.

And as the life faded from his eyes, he came to a realization. An instance where he had foolishly ignored his instincts and faced a seemingly weak opponent, the time he had challenged the greatest swordsman and was killed promptly after. How ironic to be dying the same way once again.

“Who are you?” He asked with his last words as he fell to the ground. He did not expect a response but wished to honor his opponent in his final moments. He wanted to learn the name of the second person to ever defeat him.

“… no one special.”

For the first time, the man responded. His voice was one of solemn despondency, as if remembering a troublesome past. An unknown dejection permeated through his words.

He slowly walked back to the collapsed Servant. His stride was steady and relaxed, the pace of the invincible. Once he reached the soon-to-be corpse, he held out the heart over the body—

“I’m just… ordinary.”

-And crushed it ruthlessly.

Those heavy words were the last thing the Servant heard.

Till the very end, he did not know what meaning those words held. But two things became clear to him as he faded away.

First, the invincible man was none other than the Master assigned to protect this world from enemies.

And second, as long as he remained, this world could not be destroyed.

Those two facts alone shone an insurmountable despair on the future of the original humanity…

And so, those were the Lostbelts, the other worlds competing for supremacy. Each and everyone of them with their own advantages and trials for their Crypters to overcome, each one a potential paradise.

The world without Death, Skye

The world without War, Fairyland

The world without Corruption, Galun’lati

The world without Sin, Eden

The world without Flaw, Aquarius

And finally…

Lostbelt: Crowned Hill upon the Winds, Illium
    Depth: A

Utter despair clouded her eyes.

There was no hope for victory or survival. There was no future in which things would go well. Only death and destruction were certain. Her fate was already sealed.

A monster had appeared. Rising from the abyssal depths, it surfaced and towered over the entire city within a single instant. A single glance made it clear that it was a threat greater than everything they had faced before combined.

It was a convulsing mass of flesh more putrid than petrifying. It had no eyes and yet a hundred mouths. It had a dozen ways to kill and yet no weakness. Black sludge poured out of its every orifice like puss, but anything the sludge touched instantly melted. A foul stench permeated its surrounding, but anything that breathed that air in would have its organs liquified. The sight of it alone would make anyone vomit; the girl was merely lucky to have already lost the contents of her stomach many hours of combat ago.

At that moment, countless warriors set off to face the beast. Fearing nothing, they set out to protect their dear and beloved city. But it was for nothing; they merely flew into the jaws of death. Giant writhing tentacles sprung out from the sea. With each swing, a dozen voices were silenced. With each strike, a dozen more were lost.

Finally, in a last-ditch effort to save the day, the King charged at the monster… and was mercilessly swallowed. He never returned.

From that moment on, the fate of the world was sealed.

The girl gave up. She dropped her weapons and fell to her knees. She was tired, exhausted from weeks of nothing but constant and grueling battle. Her body was drenched in blood, sweat, and tears. She had given it her all, accomplished so much, and yet achieved nothing.

The monster turned its attention to her, but she no longer cared.

She had already died once, so there was no point in delaying the inevitable.

And so, the Master named Alisha Helstrom submitted to Fate.

The first Crypter has been defeated.

Interlude Out

Note
    Big thanks to Sunny for providing the idea and details for the Illium Lostbelt... before it was anticlimactically destroyed. Either way, thanks a lot, Sunny!!!

References
    Berserker
    Lustful Woman
    Samurai Servant

Blog Entries

“Ah, man. Good to be back.”

With a liberating stretch, I enter my humble abode for this first time in weeks. In the end, I spent another day in the hospital before I was released; my condition’s not 100% yet, but I’m good enough to be moving about now.

“Ah, welcome back!”

“Hoh, you’re finally back on your feet, Master?”

“Yo.”

The moment I step through the doorway, I’m greeted by the two lovely voices of Yingying and Assassin. Naturally, it’s their house as well so they were there to greet me. Though now that I think about it, I’ve only actually slept here for a couple of days, while they’ve probably been here for weeks. That kind of makes me feel like the guest of the household.

“Welcome back, my Master.”

“Ah, Saber. You’re here as well… I see.”

I’m a little taken aback by the third person in the home, Saber. I guess it makes sense she’s staying here too now, but I’m still kind of surprised to see her around. I… suppose I have to become used to her from now.

“Hey, what are you standing in the doorway for? Come in.” Assassin comments from the back of the flat, brining me back to my senses.

“Ah, right. Of course.” I slowly nod and enter.

Nothing’s quite changed in the living quarters from before; it more or less looks exactly like I remember leaving it. The literal only difference is Saber’s presence.

By the way, as a side note, I did confirm that Saber has become my personal Servant and was drawing her magical energy from me. Normally, it would be impossible for someone like me to sustain two servants… but since Assassin’s such a weakling, she actually costs practically nothing to sustain, so things ended up working out.

Just as I’m refamiliarizing myself with the place, Yingying steps out of the kitchen with an apron on. It doesn’t even need to be said that it looks gorgeous on her.

“You must still be a little tired, so why don’t you take a bath, dear? I was about to go do some quick grocery shopping, so dinner will be a little while longer.” She mentions while taking off her apron.

“Oh, actually,” I speak up before she leaves. “While I have you all here, there was something I wanted to consult you with.”

“What is it? Did you find a girl you fancy and need romance advice?” Assassin jokily snarks from the living room chair.

“Shut up.” I bark back. “That’s not it- well, actually sort of, I guess. It’s about Rider…”

I briefly explain to the three of them the promise I made with Rider and how I want to take this chance to fulfill it. Yingying was there, but both Assassin and Saber need to be caught back up to speed.

“… and that’s the deal.” I finish my explanation and implore them. “Rider will be coming back soon, so I’d like to start thinking about how to find her a husband soon. I’m not exactly… well-versed in such matters. So, I was hoping to ask you three for some advice on what to do.”

“I see. I never expected Rider to have such a cute and girly wish.” Assassin comments with a smile before puffing out her chest proudly. “Well, you can count on me to help. This would be far outside the field of a cherry boy like Master after all.”

“I’ll help too.” Yingying chimes in with cheer. “It’d be great if Rider could find a husband too.”

“I will offer my assistance as well.” Saber adds.

It seems that everyone’s on board. That’s great. I’d probably be screwed on my own, but things should go a lot smoother if I have some feminine touch by my side. Now then, first order of business is…

“Alright, then, first of all, there’s something I’d been meaning to ask.” I turn to Yingying. “Could you tell me how marriage typically works in this world? I… don’t suppose it’s all government arranged is it?”

“Oh, no, not at all. People mostly choose their significant others.” She answers with shaking hands.

“Really? That’s surprising.”

“Yup. Marriages formed from true love are the strongest after all. It’s only natural. The Emperor himself encourages it.” Yingying’s voice is filled with tender warmth. “The marriageable age is 16 too, so you often get a lot of school sweethearts marrying right after the Imperial Examination. It’s always a lovely time of year for couples.”

Huh. I certainly wasn’t expecting that, but it seems that my impression wasn’t entirely correct. To think that this rigid, mechanical world would have such sappy notions on love. Perhaps I should rethink my opinion on it-

“And if you haven’t found your partner by the age of 21, the government lends its assistance to help you find the one!”

“Of course, it does.”

Welp, there goes my hopes and dreams. So, there are government arranged marriages after all.

“Let’s see… what else?” Yingying tries to think of more to say. “Ah, right, as for childbirth, the law dictates that at least one child must be produced before the wife is 25. But I’ve never really heard of many such cases of that or even of people not finding a partner before 21. To be honest, someone like me is typically the exception.”

“Hmm… then that’s a bit of a problem.” Assassin joins in with a perplexed expression. “Doesn’t that mean that there aren’t any bachelors over the age of 21.”

“Shit, you’re right.” I grimace.

Rider’s a Servant so age isn’t really a tangible concept, but she should physically and mentally be in her 40’s, despite her ridiculous sex appeal. I won’t say that age is a barrier to love, but it certainly doesn’t help.

“Well, Rider’s stupidly erotic, so she can probably seduce any man, so let’s pretend that’s not a problem for now.” I say with deep thought. “The most important thing now is… how do we find Mr. Right?”

I consider the possibilities but come to a blank. How exactly do you find someone that you would want to marry? The first thing I think of is a dating site, but that doesn’t exactly exist here does it. A matchmaker perhaps? Are those a thing? Probably not, if the government’s assisting with arranged marriages. Then, sign her up for the government program? I don’t think she’d like that… Dammit? What even is marriage? What is love? I’m starting to have an existential crisis just thinking about this.

“If you aren’t sure what to do, perhaps you could draw from personal experience.” Saber suddenly suggests.

“Ah, good point.” I clap my hands together. “There’s no need to armchair it when we can just think about our own ex… perience… okay, yeah, I got nothing.”

My enthusiasm quickly dies down as I recall my own barren romantic life, or rather my dark past when it comes to women. I’m the wrong person to ask about that so I’ll just have to rely on the others…

“Um, what about you, Yingying? Do you have any romantic experience? Did you, uh… have a boyfriend or something in the past? Y-y’know, before we… married.” I begin to ask my wife, before quieting into a mutter as I realize how embarrassing the topic is.

“Eh? Me? W-well, I…” She stutters with red cheeks. “… I’m sorry, but I also have no experience.”

“Oh, I see. D-don’t worry about it. It’s not a big deal; I mean I’m the same.” I try to console her but can’t help but sigh a little in relief.

“Oh? What’s this, Master? Happy to confirm the chastity of your wife?” Assassin slyly whispers as she sees the little careless grin on my face.

“Shove it.” I physically push her smug smile away. “What about you, then? You were married too, if I recall. How’d you meet your husband?”

“Ooh, I’m curious as well.” Yingying nods in anticipation. I guess girls like this kind of talk after all.

“Hmm… Well, I guess you could say that we met at my establishment of business.” Assassin answers with a tone of fondness.

“So, it was a workplace relationship? That’s quite nice too.” Yingying beams and claps her hands, clearly giddy with excitement. “So, then what? How’d your first meeting go? Was it love at first sight?”

“Hmmm…”

Assassin takes a moment to think, likely trying to summarize her entire marriage, before saying warmly with a big thumbs up:

“Well, the first thing we did was have sex. And then he gave me money for it. And then he kept paying me to have sex with him. And this continued until we eventually married. The End!”

Oi, I think you’re skipping a lot of steps there. Look what you’ve done to Yingying; she’s completely shaken up by your lack of delicacy.

“O-oh, I see…” Yingying meekly comments with flushed cheeks.

My thoughts are the same. I shake my head at Assassin and lament her indecency.

“Sometimes, I forget you’re a whore.”

“A courtesan actually. Former.”

“Trust me. There isn’t a difference.”

Really, I’m almost impressed by the lack of embarrassment she has about it all. But unfortunately, I don’t think there’s much from the anecdote we can apply to our current situation. It’d be rather ridiculous to ask Rider to start engaging in sexual intercourse with strangers to find a potential husband among them.

“So, then the only one left is… Saber. I believe you were also married, right?” I turn the conversation to the last person here, who’s been silent so far.

“Yes, I was a married woman.” She nods, recalling her past.

As an aside, Mind Break only changes one’s personality; information-based stuff like memories can still be retained after the brainwashing, if desired.

“Great. How’d that go?” I ask with anticipation. At this point, she’s our last hope, so I expect an actual normal romantic story for once. But of course, what I get is—

“My husband and I first met on the battlefield. He was aroused by the sight of my body, so he attacked me with lustful intentions, and I defeated him promptly. I believe that he often enjoyed raping the women that he abducted, but it seems he particularly fancied me. Much later, our leader asked me to become his wife. I was reluctant but I had no choice, so I married him. That is all.” Saber answers mechanically.

There is no shame nor even emotion in her voice. She relates her past with the steady rhythm of a text-to-speech program.

“Oh, I see…” I comment with a wry expression. Despite her tone, it wasn’t a comfortable story to listen to.

“So, it was a military marriage, huh? I suppose those sorts of things happen too.” Assassin notes, much less disturbed than I am.

“Yes. I do not think it was too uncommon of an occurrence.” Saber agrees.

Though the person in question shows apathy, I can’t help but feel bad about that sort of situation. Perhaps because I know her apathy is likely due to my influence. I wonder… I wonder what the original Saber thought about her marriage. From the looks of it though, it seems like an uncomfortable subject. Better just to leave it here and scrap the whole idea—

“So then, was your relationship intimate, Saber? Could you spare some details?”

“Eh? Assassin?”

To my surprise, Assassin unabashedly asks Saber an erotic question with a sly smile. I don’t know if she’s just curious or tactless, but she must not be picking up the bad vibes I’m sensing. I quickly try to stop the conversation before it goes any further but I’m all too late.

“Naturally. My husband was after me for my body to begin with, after all.” Saber responds without hesitation, before I can stop her. “We spent our first night together immediately after our marriage. I was hesitant at first but understood my duties as his spouse and served him from there forth. From thereon, he would spend every night having his way with me. His favorite plays were-”

“Woah, woah, woah, okay, that’s enough! We get it, Saber. You can shut up now!” I swiftly jump in and try to break the conversation forcefully.

“Understood. I will shut up.” She obeys my command instantly and zips her lips.

Phew… that was close. Any more and I would’ve started crying for her. I definitely didn’t want to hear any more horrid details.

“Aww, she was just getting to the good part. Buzzkill.” Assassin complains with a pout.

“God. If you really want to know, you can ask her on your own time. Let’s not get distracted here.” I retort.

Anyways, after going over the data we gathered, it seems that we have nothing useful. Yingying and I have no experience, while Assassin and Saber’s backgrounds as prostitute and soldier don’t apply well to Rider’s current situation. Unfortunately, we’ll have to try another method.

But really… who’d have thought there was nothing normal among any of us? Every single person in this room is or was married so why isn’t there a single shred of normal romance between all of us?

“Uhhh… we’re not getting anywhere so why don’t we call it a day for now. Everyone is to continue thinking of idea on their own. Hopefully we’ll have something to work with by the time Rider gets back.” I give the command after thinking long and hard.

“““Okay~~”””

A resounding chorus of approval comes from the ladies and so we break up the first “Help Rider get a husband conference” for now. With everything settled, I prepare to take that bath I was promised while Yingying and Assassin go to get groceries for dinner.

A little worried, I quickly check on Yingying’s condition. As I thought, her cheeks still seemed a little red from the lewd talk; she’s the only innocent one in this household so I need to protect her well from these ero-foxes. Just as I’m thinking that, she passes by me on her way to the door and I hear a quiet mummer.

“… so that’s what wives are supposed to do.”

“!”

A chill runs down my back. The moment I truly process the words, I quickly turn around, but she’s already left by then… I really hope I misheard that. Otherwise, I have a bad feeling of what’s to come.

“Phew. Nothing beats a good bath.”

I exit the steaming hot tub with a relaxed state of mind. With everything happening, I suppose I’ve been rather tense lately so it’s nice to just be able to enjoy a simple bath now and again. It’s okay for someone like me to enjoy little luxuries… right?

Ignoring the doubt in my mind, I plop onto the living room chair and feel the tension in my body exit. Yingying and Assassin seem to be still buying things, so I guess it’s just me. Normally, I wouldn’t mind some serene solitude, but after being in the hospital alone for a few days, I’m a little lonely. This place just doesn’t feel right without Assassin’s silliness. Guess I’ll just have to wait patiently for them to return…

“Master.”

“… oh yeah, you’re still here.”

I look up to find Saber standing at attention by the side of my seat. How dumb am I to actually forget her for a moment?

“Ah, hey, Saber. What’s up?” I timidly ask the robotic Servant. Perhaps its because of my hesitance, but the Command Spell on my right hand begins to throb.

“Nothing, Master. I simply wished to see if there was any order you needed me for.” She responded as a matter of fact. “Now that you have been released from the hospital, feel free to use me as you see fit. I am your Servant to command.”

“O-oh, is that so?” I inquire with trepidation.

To be honest, this isn’t a surprise. She’s acting exactly as I programmed her back then; since it was an emergency, I had to be certain it would work so I designed her with absolute loyalty and obedience. But now that we’re out of battle… that very disposition was touching upon my wounds. Honestly, all this time as we were discussing things, I was having trouble even looking her in the eyes. Each time I acknowledge her… it’s like I acknowledge my failures.

Unbeknownst to this, Saber continues to speak, seemingly taking my lack of response as a prompt for her to talk more.

“Of course, as I mentioned before, you are my current lord, my Master. It is my pleasure and duty to serve you to my utmost. Please tell me how I may assist you. Whether it be combat or menial labor, I shall fulfill it to utmost of my ability. Do not be afraid to use me as you see fit.”

A completely robotic and yet pathetic manner of speech. Each and every word grinds my gears. I can feel a sickness rising up my throat.

“Ah, yes, the matters we discussed before are fine as well. If you require me for sexual services, I would be happy to oblige.”

She says so, casually. But for me, that is the last straw.

“Don’t talk like that. It’s disgusting.”

A roar full of fury. Unable to restrain myself, I let loose my complete and utter revulsion, the aching self-hatred within me. Without me noticing, I begin gripping the armrest of the chair far too tightly, as if I were intent on crushing the wood with my hand alone.

Saber, however, is unfazed.

“Understood. I will stop talking like that.”

Her completely mechanical apathy brings me back to my senses.

“Ah. N-no, sorry, I didn’t mean that. You can say whatever you want and uh… I’m sorry.”

I don’t know why but I begin to apologize, as if ashamed by my own over-reaction.

“Understood. I shall speak however I want.” She confirms.

With that, I quickly calm down and palm my face, letting go of the armrest. What am I doing, getting upset at my own creation? This is ridiculous.

But what am I to do? Dealing with Saber is… difficult to put it lightly. I know it’s running away but I find it hard to handle her. It’s no different than talking to your drunken self; all you see and hear are your own shame and regret. If only she wasn’t so robotic, it might be easier to deal with her.

… at that moment, a thought crosses my mind.

What if she wasn’t so hard to deal with? What if… I changed that?

Once more, the temptation haunts me.

Choice!
    After the battle, Saber has become your loyal Servant. She asks you for orders to assist you, but you find her hard to deal with due to your eternal guilt. What would you like to do with her?

What order will you give her?
    1. Use her intelligence to do the research on this world for you and swiftly find answers to the many questions that have been plaguing you.
    2. Use her intelligence to investigate and learn more about the Emperor
    3. Use her to find a husband for Rider
    4. Have her train you in swordsmanship and martial arts
    5. None. She can do whatever she wants.

Would you like to use Mind Break on her once more to alter her current settings?
    - No
    - Yes:
    A. Make her less rigid
    B. Make her more fun to be around
    C. Make her less obedient
    D. Write-In

Blog Entries
    Yes: A

Not too sure on the Mind Altering but...

Now Revamped!