Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fading Rays and Cresting Mountains [Oneshot]

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries

Fading Rays and Cresting Mountains [Oneshot]

He climbed effortlessly, the sheer and mossy stone no hindrance at all. Despite the cold temperatures, his fingers cast about the cliff until it found purchase, then another pull had him another hand span higher.

With methodical steps, he finally eclipsed the lip of the precipice and swung up until his feet found purchase. The faint layer of snow melted beneath his boots and he brushed himself off, then pulled the stone he had retrieved out of his pocket. Ambling over to the little mound of stones off to one side, he carefully lay the rock atop the mound, balancing it as carefully as one might the steeple on a house of cards.

Thirteen stones now made up this stack. It did not even reach halfway up his shin.

“Nee, do you think she should have just taken it easy?” the girl had asked.

They had sat there, watching the snow fall over the river, smiling at their own breath as it came out in wispy clouds from their mouths. He had carried her all the way out here, along the road at the riverbank and then up the cut stone to the top of the cliff. They had hid behind the shelter of a tree, away from the eyes of those that owned the land, and watched in silence as the winter evening had passed on by.

“Who?” he had asked.

She had looked at him, all contemplative eyes and teasing smile, a slight twitching to her nose against the cold air. “In the myth, you know. When we came up here, it was simple as taking it slow and easy, right?”

He had nodded, sagely, though they both knew it was all for show. “That certainly makes sense.”

She had fallen silent for a while longer, and as the light in the sky darkened, he began to feel fear as the minutes and seconds counted on. He had no concept of years, then, as his life had been too short by normal measure and even shorter by how he perceived his world. The world had opened up to him as he waited there, and he realized, slowly or too fast to comprehend, how lonely it was.

The sound of a boat off in the distance, a fog-horn to alert others of its presence.

Motion had caught his eye, and he turned to watch as she pulled a large stone from within her jacket. It was large and flat, and he wondered why he had not felt it when carrying her up. She held it out to him.

He had taken it, his hand brushing against hers, somehow even smaller when held to such a stone. “Hm?”

“Don’t be like her. Build up slowly, you know, with something good like this at the bottom.”

“Okay.” Briefly, he had left her side to find a place suitably out-of-the-way, yet still within clear sight of the river and placed the stone on the ground. He then glanced around, first up the river, then down, then back inland, marking his position mentally.

He would remember that place forever.

Upon returning to her side, he had finally taken note of how ghostly she had become, the contrast with her dark coat all the more apparent. He moved to put his shoulders to hers, and she had curled up carefully against him, her motions slow and lethargic.

“Did you ever hate me?” she asked, and her voice had seemed even smaller than her hands.

He had looked to her, again, uncomprehending, watching as the wisps from her breath grew fainter.

“For leading you astray, mister boatman?” She seemed to laugh to herself at that, her shoulders shaking faintly.

He had pressed his cheek against the crown of her head. “It’s really my own fault, isn’t it? I ought to have my eyes on where I’m going right now, not on the heights to impossible to climb.”

Another shake of the shoulders. “So my beauty and song had nothing to do with it.”

“Not a bit.”

A deeper, stronger wisp floated about, and he had thought for certain that she would stay on that joke. But a moment later, she had said, “Seriously. Answer seriously.”

He had understood the meaning of the question by then, though, and shook his head. “No.”

Even if it had been to his doom.

He could never have blamed her, never hated her.

“Then…I’m glad,” she had said, her shoulders hitching slower than before. “I’m glad Shirou doesn’t hate me.”

Slowly, he had put his arm around Illya’s tiny shoulders and held her to his chest.

They stayed like that. He, until sunrise. She, until twilight.

He stood there now, the mound of stone that he had marked years before at his feet, snow slowly forming over it, like the white that had shot into his hair. Each had been from one of the places he had since visited, each from a field stained by the same sorrow and hatred that had made up her life.

He wasn’t sure how different he could have made those places, or how different they had become because of him.

He just knew he had to take it slowly.

Even if he had crashed his boat into the mountain because his eyes were attracted to the beauty that lay beyond the crest, he would follow her words and take it slow, never once falling like fair Lorelei.

A 1.5 revised and changed version of the story.

Version 2.0

Blog Entries

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    ^ This. Oh, so much this...

...but I don't think I got it. Illya is Lorelei, Shirou's some boatman... passing by (?) and... what happened? It's a metaphor?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    If IRUn is going to get a song stuck in my head with that Tanabata fic, I'm going to try and punch him in the gut!

...oh god my grammatical tense sucks in this thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherrinford View Post
    ...but I don't think I got it. Illya is Lorelei, Shirou's some boatman... passing by (?) and... what happened? It's a metaphor?
    Look up the poem/lyrics to "Die Lorelei" and maybe its wikipedia page. It's the song associated with Illya.

Blog Entries
    Yeah. I reread it with Die Lorelei playing in the background.

I'm going to need a moment...

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    That..........was beautiful.

I'm going to need a moment here, people.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Al...needs a moment too.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries

"I'm fine. I have something in my eye, that's all. [sobs] ...I have something in my other eye. [sobbing] I have something in my heart..."
    -Stephen Colbert

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post

"I'm fine. I have something in my eye, that's all. [sobs] ...I have something in my other eye. [sobbing] I have something in my heart..."
    -Stephen Colbert
    Seconding awesome picture and awesome quote.

DAMN YOU ARAAAAAAAAAAAAASHI!

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    It's so sad...yet happy...yet hopeful and accepting all at the same time....

*sniff*
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Really? Happy? I kept the idea in the back of my head that this was EMIYA on his way to doom.
    That kind of changes things, then.

Fine, fine - a momentary bit of happiness. After all, EMIYA never regretted his path until he went full Counter Guardian. Then the shit-stick began whomping on him. Because you cannot be truly sad with an Illya by your side.

Until she passes her expiration date.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Well, I mean, I guess it works for a Fate-ish Shirou too. I dunno. I left it ambiguous on purpose, I just didn't think I'd get happy as a reaction.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Well, he didn't regret anything up to her death, so....

Eh, I'm just overlooking things.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Really? Happy? I kept the idea in the back of my head that this was EMIYA on his way to doom.
    Seriously, that's what I got when I was reading this story too. That this was the Shirou that becomes Archer.

Blog Entries
    Oh, I promised myself I wouldn't cry... *sniffles, bawls*

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Version 1.5

Reworked it for a class. I don't think I made it any better or worse (besides fixing some tense issues), just different now. 1.5 because I have to revise it again.

He climbed the cliff side, the sheer and mossy stone no hindrance at all. Despite the cold temperatures that ought to stiffen joints, his fingers cast about the cliff with ease until they found purchase, then another pull had him another arm span higher.

With methodical steps, he finally eclipsed the lip of the precipice and swung up until his feet found purchase. The faint layer of snow melted beneath his boots and he brushed himself off, and then pulled the stone he had retrieved out of his pocket. Ambling over to the little mound of stones off to one side, he carefully laid the rock atop the mound, balancing it as carefully as one might the steeple on a house of cards.

Thirteen stones now made up this stack. It did not even reach halfway up his shin.

They had met when they were both teenagers. He was a redheaded high school student with an odd penchant for doing any chores the other students asked of him. His friend Issei would ask, “Why bother?” and he would always reply, “I like to help people.” In truth, it was his dream, his ideal, a silly thing. He wanted, like those hero programs on television always toted, to be a “superhero.” An ally of justice. Someone who went out of his way to save people. Since he was merely a student, all he could do was save them from the inconvenience of cleaning their clubroom after classes or gathering all the gym supplies students had left out in their laziness.

Sillier too, that his dream was borrowed from his father. Even as an adult man, his father was one who held onto a childish dream.

One who died with a smile on his face when his adopted son had told him, “I will reach your dream in your place.”

She had been a foreigner in his country, a tiny girl with hair like the snow, seeking his name, seeking the family that had wronged her. His father, for reasons untold, had been forced to abandon her, and yet had come to eventually raise a different—if small—family of his own. She had found him, confronted him, broken his illusions about his idealized father.

“Some superhero,” she told him, “saving you only to leave me to die, for all he knew.”

One stone had been from Iraq, at the outbreak of battle. He had plucked it from the shadows of an old, crumbling building that had housed a hidden Kurdish school for children under the age of eight. He had rained terror down upon the Iraqi forces that would have otherwise exterminated them for their cultural heritage and acts against the state.

He had saved nine lives for the five soldiers he had killed.

Over many months, they had fought. The girl would speak of her abandonment at eight, during a winter of record lows in Germany. She would remind him how he had left her in a house so large and old, it was like a castle out of Sleeping Beauty. But without a father, it had been quiet and vacant, though the words of promise had echoed through her head, like they had echoed through the solemn halls.

“I’ll return for you,” she said. “That’s what he told me. And then I find out he was here with you all along.”

Sometimes, he thought of the sad symmetry of their situations. He had almost died in a fire, his parents and neighbors all burning away, and his new father had rescued him, only him. He had been saved, not just in life, but his future as well, as his savior had adopted him.

She had been left out in the cold, and he had been saved from the heat.

The largest stone in the center of the plinth had been from China, possibly a stone as old as the Great Wall some three miles north of where he had taken it.

There, he had fought for slaves working at a brick factory where they were forced to sleep next to their own latrine and eat little but white rice. He had saved thirty such men after killing eleven slavers, wincing with each bullet shot and explosive set.

“Not, you know…” her lips alternated between pursed and fly-attractant as she worked out what she wanted to say. “It’s not like, you know, I dislike you, or anything.”

He smiled down at the top of her head. Though it sometimes was nothing more than her time to curse the existence of his—their—father, he had started to accompany her to and from her doctor’s appointments. The walk between the traditional residential area he lived in all the way across the bridge and up the hill past the noise of the downtown region gave her plenty of time to jump around and rage, even as she would smile as families passed by and children might stop her to comment on her white hair.

“Are you a princess?” one boy had asked, his eyes staring up at her wide in hero-worship.

“From a faraway land,” she said.

“Are you Snow White?”

She had patted the boy on the head. “More like Lorelei of the Rhine.”

The second-most-recent stone was flint rock from far into the Amazon. He had been gifted it by a tribe of aborigines after killing seven of the men sent to drive them out in preparation of deforesting the area. The tribe had looked upon him like a spirit from lore after he had taken steel to the invaders as if by magic.

“Hey, do you think she should have just taken it easy?” the girl asked.

They sat there, watching the snow fall over the river, smiling at their own breath as it came out in wispy clouds from their mouths. He had carried her all the way out here, along the road at the riverbank and then up the cut stone to the top of the cliff. They hid behind the shelter of a tree, away from the eyes of those that owned the land, and watched in silence as the winter evening had passed on by the German landscape.

“Who?” he asked.

She looked at him, all contemplative eyes and teasing smile, a slight twitching to her nose against the cold air. “In the myth, you know. When we came up here, it was simple as taking it slow and easy, right?”

He nodded, sagely, though they both knew it was all for show. “That certainly makes sense.”

She had fallen silent for a while longer, and as the light in the sky darkened, he began to feel fear as the minutes and seconds counted on. He had no concept of years, then, as his life had been too short by normal measure and even shorter by how he perceived his existence. The world had opened up to him as he waited there, and he realized, slowly or too fast to comprehend, how lonely it was.

The sound of a boat off in the distance, a fog-horn to alert others of its presence.

Motion had caught his eye, and he turned to watch as she pulled a large stone from within her jacket. It was large and flat, and he wondered why he had not felt it when carrying her up. She held it out to him.

He took it, his hand brushing against hers, somehow even smaller when held to such a stone. “Hm?”

“Don’t be like her. Build up slowly, you know, with something good like this at the bottom.”

“Okay.” Briefly, he left her side to find a place suitably out-of-the-way, yet still within clear sight of the river and placed the stone on the ground. He then glanced around, first up the river, then down, then back inland, marking his position mentally.

He would remember that place forever.

Upon returning to her side, he finally took note of how ghostly she had become, the contrast with her dark coat all the more apparent. He moved to put his shoulders to hers, and she curled up carefully against him, her motions slow and lethargic.

“Did you ever hate me?” she asked, and her voice had seemed even smaller than her hands.

He looked to her, again, uncomprehending, watching as the wisps from her breath grew fainter.

“For leading you astray, mister boatman?” She seemed to laugh to herself at that, her shoulders shaking faintly.

He pressed his cheek against the crown of her head. “It’s really my own fault, isn’t it? I ought to have my eyes on where I’m going right now, not on the heights to impossible to climb.”

Another shake of the shoulders. “So my beauty and song had nothing to do with it.”

“Not a bit.”

A deeper, stronger wisp floated about, and he thought for certain that she would stay on that joke. But a moment later, she said, “Seriously. Answer seriously.”

He understood the meaning of the question by then, though, and shook his head. “No.”

Even if it was to his doom.

He could never have blamed her, never hated her.

“Then…I’m glad,” she said, her shoulders hitching slower than before. “I’m glad Shirou doesn’t hate me.”

Slowly, he put his arm around Illya’s tiny shoulders and held her to his chest.

They stayed like that. He, until sunrise. She, until twilight.

The latest stone had been from Somalia, where he had stolen thirty bags of rice and wheat from the warlords, quietly providing it to ten different families on the outskirts of Mogadishu. He had only needed to kill two men, indirectly, as they had been executed for their failure at securing the foodstuffs.

He stood there now, the mound of stone that he had marked years before at his feet, snow slowly forming over it, like the white that had shot into his hair. Each had been from one of the places he had since visited, each from a field stained by the same sorrow and hatred that had made up her life.

He wasn’t sure how different he could have made those places, or how different they had become because of him.

He just knew he had to take it slowly.

Even if he had crashed his boat into the mountain because his eyes were attracted to the beauty that lay beyond the crest, he would follow her words and take it slow, never once falling like fair Lorelei.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    YES

Wait, I'm supposed to be sad! ;_;

Tsundere Illya is tsundere.
    Last edited by ItsaRandomUsername; October 5th, 2011 at 07:22 PM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Indeed.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Blog Entries
    I cried again.