Page 1 of 9 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten of Them

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ten of Them

TEN OF THEM

What the hell.

Why is all this happening? Just where did everything go wrong?

This is absolutely ridiculous. My laughter just does not stop, even though I can no longer feel my body, thanks to the frigidly cold sea air around me. I forgot the usually warm winter-jacket of my uniform somewhere, and now, I’m paying the prize. But I couldn’t help it. I just wanted to get out of that place. I just wanted to live.

But it was no use. I’m dying right now. I know it. I’m not sure of the reason, and to be honest, when I’m dying, I don’t care why. I’m too hung up on the fact that I’m dying. I’ll let the police find out what I was killed with.

“Eh-“

Finally, my legs give out. I crash down to the ice, and it creaks beneath me. The sharp edges of the transparent “ground” beneath me cut my skin, but seeing that miniscule amount of blood they draw only makes me laugh. I’ve seen so much worse during these few days.

As the cold, uncaring snow keeps falling on top of me, I reach out one last time towards the sky, which refused to give answers. I can no longer hear the spirits. I guess they are dying with me. Or perhaps they’ve moved on, who knows? Maybe…just maybe…I’ll join amongst them now that I’m dead, and when people return to this island, I’ll be the one speaking to some poor student’s head. Perhaps I could then tell this person about what happened here, on this cursed, wretched island.

A growling sound, almost like a rumble, freezes my heart. It is here. My death is here. In shape of a huge, black dog, it has prowled around the island for these past few days, announcing the deaths of us all, the unfortunate ones who were trapped on this island.

Whatever, mutt. Just come to claim me already. I’m dying, so it’s all the same whether you eat me, or if I just fade away on this ice.

There is only one thing that makes me feel regret. Just one thing. And one question that outshines all the others that I have at this point.

“…......I, didn’t…”

Yes. I didn’t find out the truth.

“……....W-who…?”

Yes. Out of the ten of them, who was it?

Who was it that killed us all?

Ten of Them
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ten of Them is a forum-game working on a very simple basic principle. The forumites will take the role of the myriad of spirits inhabiting the head of the protagonist, and will be able to give him advice and suggest him to take certain actions in order to affect how the story unfolds. Anyone can take part in this game, and it does not require “dedication” of staying till the end.

While the spirits (players) can’t directly affect the world and what happens, their existence becomes critically important when the peaceful days that the protagonist lives end abruptly and brutally, and he becomes trapped in a whirlpool of madness, despair and gruesome murders. It is only through these spirits, and a certain helper, that the protagonist can unravel just what is happening, and save himself and those he loves from the mysterious “Black Death” who kills off the, one-by-one, the people trapped on the Tudor Island. The advice, the theories, and the memories these spirits, who transcend the time, retain are the only weapons our protagonist has against what seems like impossible murders and a killer, who cannot be caught.

So, please, enter the Tudor Island, and the esteemed Tudor Boarding School which lies there. It is the most magical day of the year, 25th of December, and our protagonist, one Bedwyr Sheen, prepares to spend his Christmas with his closest friend, Ian Watson, knowing nothing about the tragedy that is about to happen…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEN OF THEM
    The first cycle

“Too much love will kill you, if you can't make up your mind. Torn between the lover, and the love you leave behind…!”

I am awakened by my radio-clock, and the voice of Mr. Mercury. As I open my eyes, I see the bright red numbers telling me that it is already 8am, and if I don’t get up now, I will most likely miss the breakfast. I grumble under my breath, as I had been experiencing a quite pleasant dream for a change, and waking up from it and realizing you were in harsh reality again was something of a letdown. Even though my surroundings were quite grand, at least compared to the school that I went last year, it was not enough to lift my mood. After all, it was Christmas Day, and here I was, spending it in my school.

“Damn you, dad……why did you have to leave to India for Christmas? Now I’m stuck here with only a handful of students and few teachers…” I groaned as I put on my pants and shirt, and finished the whole deal with the necktie. A quick glance to the mirror, and I was on my way outside. My room-mate had had the luck of getting out of here, and so, I inhabited the room alone, currently.

Since I had awakened, the spirits that came and went from my head also started talking amongst each other. Since I were little, I had been able to hear the all kinds of spirits, and it seemed that my head was some kind of place where they all could talk easily with each other, as a lot of them tended to gather there. I’m not sure what the reason was that I was able to converse with them like this, but my dad suggested it had something to do with my ancestors. Apparently, some of them had been druids back in the days, and it was possible that some of their power coursed through my veins. Nevertheless, these spirits were something I was already comfortable with, and sometimes I even talked with them in my mind. They were good company in the times of loneliness, and sometimes gave out great advice.

As I opened the wooden door, I was greeted by the fragrance of fresh porridge in the corridor. This really got the spirits going, as most of them blabbed with each other about the fond memories they had about Christmas. I decided not to concentrate on them, and instead, drew in the refreshing morning. The morning sun shone peacefully through the windows, illuminating both the red carpet inside, and the untouched snow outside. It looked like a good, cold, crispy day, perfect for snow-fights or building a snowman. I guess we might have to have a match later tonight with Ian.

Speaking of the man…

“Oh! Bedwyr! Going down to eat some breakfast?”

A brown-haired youth walked up to me, dressed in the Tudor Boarding School’s uniform. His somewhat sly features and deep, chocolate-colored eyes were somewhat popular amongst the girls of the school, but his personality sure wasn’t. In other words, he was something of a pervert. Ian himself blamed it on the time he spent in Japan. However, Ian Watson was the best friend I had in this school, and one of the reasons I was able to trudge through these days.

“Yeah. I was about to. Can’t miss the porridge, eh?” I chuckled, answering Ian’s question. The boy looked at me with somewhat mischievous expression, and leaned in closer.

“You might want to, actually. You see, I found this super-hot babe as I looked out of my window today, and she’s still there. Wanna go take a look?” he asked, sounding excited. I couldn’t help but to sigh.

“Again…?”

“Hey, hey! I’m just trying to help you!” Ian protested. “Or, wait, don’t tell me. Did you forget our bet already?”

At this point, I tried to wrack my brains about the bet he mentioned, but came up with nothing.

“Bet?” I asked. “What are you talking about?”

Ian pointed at me with his index finger, like an emperor would have pointed at his disloyal subordinate.

“The bet, of course! Or rather, our divine competition!” he said with a strangely grandiose voice. “The one to see which one of us can score a date with a girl on the Christmas Day!”

I don’t think my palm has ever met my face faster. Yes, now I remembered. After emptying the bottle of whiskey Ian had smuggled to the island, we had been on a bit wild mood, and decided to make a bet about getting a girl for Christmas. I thought he had forgotten it already…….or rather, hoped he had forgotten it…….but it looked like I had no such luck.

“But even so……how is spying on a girl going to help me ask her out?” I asked. “Wouldn’t that make her see me just as a pervert of sorts? If I really wanted to start a “girl-hunt”, I’d buy some information from that one maid, you know? But really, right now, what I want is to enjoy some Christmas food…”

“C’mon, man! You can’t just back out of a bet like that!” Ian half-begged, half-accused me. “Were in a perfect situations with so little people here, you know? You don’t even have to do it in public and get all embarrassed!”

He really is serious about this bet, huh? Well…I guess it wouldn’t hurt. I mean, having a girlfriend, or at least being on a date on Christmas, wouldn’t be that bad, right?

“Fine, fine…….I’m in”, I finally spoke up, and Ian made a small victory pose. “But I don’t need your help. I’m going to do this on my own terms, you know?”

“Got it. Otherwise it wouldn’t be much of a challenge, now, would it?” Ian chuckled, and gave me thumbs up.

So, score a date, huh? In one day, it’s going to be a bit tough. I don’t even know that well the people that stayed in here, in any case. However, I know that most of them were girls, so I’m lucky in a way. Now all I have to do is to choose the best course of action.

……..Still, I’m a bit hungry. Breakfast sounds rather tempting…….

Where am I?

Who are you people?

But most importantly, if this guy's best friend is named Watson, does he happen to have a deerstalker hat and pipe stashed anywhere?

Blog Entries
    Take it easy mate, go get some food, girls can wait until you fill your belly!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, you have all day to go girl-hunting.

Breakfast first, boy.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    The Bro-Code dictates that a bet is a bet, so we're definitely obligated to follow through with it to the best of our abilities.

However, we should convince Watson to let us eat some breakfast first, and then get him to splurge the info on who it was that he saw that we thought we should go after.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Judging by how the general chat amongst the spirits is going, the wisest thing would be to get some food. After all, can't go hunting girls with an empty stomach now, can I?

"Well, with that said, it's chow time!" I announced, getting a surprised reaction from Ian.

"W-what? Weren't you going fired up about our bet just now??" He asked, almost if I had double-crossed him in some manner similiar to all those cheesy brotherhood-road-trip-films.

"Sure. But even the best lady-hunter can't go long without having some fuel in his stomach. And this equals to breakfast", I explained to him. After hearing out my reasoning, Ian gave a shrug, accompanied by a victorious smile.

"Well, in that case, I'm gonna take the lead and go introduce myself to that girl outside. Bye, Bedwyr~"

And so I am treated the sight of an idiot, now mimicking an aeroplane with his extended hands, zooming through the corridor and running down the stairs.

---------- Wish I was that full of energy every day.

Well, there's no point in just standing in the hallway. Having decided my course of action, I too head out to the staircase, and walk the large steps down. The slightly spiraling staircase is big enough for a car to drive through, and I must admit, I've always dreamed of sliding down the wooden railing next to it, just like in all those family-comedies. I think the caretaker would kick my ass for it, though, so it's best not to.

The walk to the dining hall does not take long, as I only have to go past couple of classrooms. The cafeterie lies on the eastern wing, taking up most of the space in there. After all, the dining hall is connected to the kitchen and some of the servants' quarters, so it could be said that half of the eastern wing's first floor is owned by the staff, rather than us students.

The dining hall itself is bright and full of light. As opposed to the usual sight of five big tables full of people dining, now only one has been set up, and so, the more-and-less merry group of people all dine together, no matter the status. The teachers eat together with us students, and the staff too has come to enjoy their breakfast at the same time. Of course, the staff consists of three people during the Winter Vacation, so it's not that lot, but you get my idea.

I go get some of the steaming hot porridge, a plate of cinnamon toast and jam, along with some croissants that are stuffed with ham and delicious creamy scrambled eggs. There's also some winter fruit compote, but I decide to leave it for later. After all, I'm not sure how much I'm going to eat the "main stuff" anyways. From the looks of it, there's supposed to be an almond hidden in the rice porridge, and the one to find it gets some kind of prize. If I'm going to find that, I need to save some space in my stomach, after all. Well, that is a big "if".

After getting my food, I take a place on the other end of the table, away from the teachers. Call me a bit old-fashioned, but it would weird me out to just eat and chat happily with, for example, usually composed and all-business-like Mr. Sheppard. I wouldn't mind talking with the night-guard Szary, though. She seems nice enough person, and since she's not that much older than us students, there would be probably more topics we could relate in.

"Hey, you", a sudden voice calls out to me, catching my attention. I look to the direction of the voice, and see a blonde, blue-eyed girl staring at me with a bossy expression. Still, she has this aura of "aristocracy" hanging around her, so I'm sure the impression just comes from how she behaves. "Give me the sugar."

--------------- Geh. The "aristocratic aura" was thrown out of the window with a single sentence. What's with that attitude?

Without a word, I pass her the sugar, and she snatches it from my hands as if being too long in my company would taint her with something. Without even a word of thanks, she sprinkles some sugar on her porridge, and continues as my existence had been completely forgotten.

Man, talk about cold.

I sneak a glance at the girl as she continues to eat her porridge with a pace that would have left even Ian in awe. She's definitely not bad looking, and has delicate features with big, round eyes. Too bad she wears almost constant frown, which is not good combination for her otherwise cute looks. Her hair, extending to mid-back, is clearly very well taken care of, looking almost like silk. A white headband holds it back from her face, and in a way, she looks almost like if Alice from that Disney film had grown up, and became a troubled teenager.

Well, enough about that pompous person. Time to dig in!
    Last edited by Verg Avesta; August 7th, 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Go back, and you ride that bannister!
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm... Maybe try to make small talk with her? If not, just look around the table, to see if there is someone... easier to talk with.

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Ask her for the salt, because these eggs are in despearate need of extra seasoning. Not that there's anything wrong with the eggs, but your personal tastes like them a little extra salty.

Use this as a catalyst to make small talk. If she's still somewhat snooty and unapproachable, look around and see if anyone else could use some talking to.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't know about the rest of these guys. At the other end, talking with Mr. Sheppard and Ms. Szary, I see.........err, what was her name again? Oh yeah, Copperhill! Yeah, that's the name of that orange-haired girl with cheery disposition. She seems to be the one leading the conversation, with the troubled looking Mr. Sheppard coming few steps behind, and Ms. Szary being completely lost. Well, aside from those three, there's......Oh, Miko Akasawa is there. Now there's a girl I'd like to ask for a Christmas date, but I'm a bit afraid she's way out of my league. Girls like her are standing on this sort of pedestal, and only guys with perfect background, more money than they can count and stupidly good looks can even hope to be noticed by them.

--------- The thing is: I'm not one of those guys.

Well, then there's the "Hero of Justice" of our school, Ms. Svartlik, discussing something seriously with her friend, Ms. McNabb. Seems like those two are so engrossed in something that it's best to leave them alone. I heard some pretty bad stories about Ms. Svartlik getting angry. I'm a bit suprised, actually, to see that Ms. Rosalund, Ms. Svartlik's step-sister can sit next to her, and smile at her. I mean...I have never seen them fight, but I've heard them shouting at each other.

Well, speaking of weirdos, there's one more person sitting around the table. Professor, of course. She's the type who never leaves anywhere during vacations, opting to stay in the school to tinker with whatever she's building right now. She's got her own kind of charm, with that heart-shaped face, bright eyes behind big, round glasses and curly, purple hair.

That's it about people in the dining hall, I guess. Oh, of course the Servants are there, I just don't see them at the moment. Perhaps they're in the kitchen?

Ah, in that case, there's clearly only one right answer: the Professor.

Go ahead, go on over. You're both sitting alone after all. And don't worry about the date just yet -- her projects should give you plenty to chat about, no?

Blog Entries
    oh no you dont, you stop being a wussy, you grab something sweet, and you go bring it over to that idol Miko. dont settle for second best!

Ignore that joker over there. You can topple Miko's delusions of grandeur later -- you've got a Christmas date to make.

Go find a girl who's feeling a bit lonely right now and hang out with her for a while. If you just relax and enjoy the company, it should be a cinch to get together again tomorrow.

Of course the Professor is the obvious choice here since her roommate and good friend has been away for a while, but she's hardly the only one. There's a certain Ms. Marron somewhere around here who I hear is practically the punching bag of the fates.

Blog Entries
    Do you want to be a little boy who just settles for what he gets? why not take some dim witted cow who smells like onions then! you know what you want here, do you not?! you cant just win with any old date, you have to find an admirable woman with whom your victory is not in doubt!

Blog Entries
    ------------ Marron? No offense, but instead of stealing my heart, that girl is going to steal my wallet and my wrist-watch.

Still, I couldn't help but to think that Professor could be a good choice. I mean, I had talked with her before, and sure enough, she was easier to talk with than the blonde on my left, or Miko Akasawa. And so, spurred by the advice from the spirits, I glanced at the Professor's direction. She was, instead of her dinner, focused on cellphone. A frown passed on her face, but it was nothing when compared to the frown of that other girl just now. This one? This one was the cute type of a frown.

"Hey, Proff", I suddenly spoke up, and sure enough, I managed to startle her. Letting out a yelp of surprise, she fumbled with the phone, only to manage to drop it in her porridge.

"Muuu......don't startle me like that, Bedwyr", she said, sounding a little crestfallen. After picking up her phone and starting to wipe it clean with a napkin, she directed herp ink eyes at me. "So, what's up? I see you had to stay behind for Christmas, too."

"O-oh, yeah", I answered, laughing somewhat nervously. Even though it is Professor we are talking about, with the kind of ulterior motives I have, this feels a bit weird. "Dad had to leave for a business trip. India. Nobody's home, so here I am, spending the Holy Night on this speck of land..."

"It's not all that bad", Professor chuckled. "I've spent the last two Christmases here, and I've always liked them."

"I see, I see.......oh yeah, by the way, thanks for fixing my CD-player the other day. I never properly thanked you, did I?" I switched the subject. Professor looked a bit surprised, and then shooed the awkward moment away with her laugh.

"No biggie, no biggie! Always happy to help, as you know", she answered, and after finally getting the cellphone clean, she tried to push the buttons, to see if the thing still worked. And the result was...

"Muuu. First there's no reception, and now I can't even use it? A great day this is turning out to be..." she gave a big sigh, and leaned her elbows to the table, in a manner very unlike the other girls in this school.

Crap.

This is getting a bit awkward. How am I supposed to continue the conversation?

Blog Entries
    why not apologize and offer to let her use your phone, its not like she cant probably fix hers anyway given time, she probably just needs to make a call. also, you wussed out, you wussy.

also, one more thing, I am a spirit, and you are in greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaat daaaaaaaaaaangeeeeeeeerrrrr....ooooooooh

A wise choice. *nods sagely*

Now. Don't worry about the pauses too much -- they might seem awkward to you, but if you keep eating in between every few comments it's hardly like anyone is going to notice.

But what to say? Hoh, that's simple. Bring up what she's planning to do about her phone, ask if there isn't anyone whose phone she could borrow, and if possible insist that she feel free to borrow yours. You do have one, right?

Just... don't sound desperate. You're grateful to her, remember -- focus on that for now, and not the date yet, or this all will end up being more awkward than it should.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the above voices, boy. Just keep the easy talk flowing, and don't worry about awkwardness.

quotes

Blog Entries
    Oh shut up. I mean, I get at least twice a day some spirit trying to warn me about a tragedy that is about to befall or that my friend will be mysteriously murdered, stuff like that. Believe me, I've gotten a bit de-sanitized for it.

"So, what's with the phone anyway? Do you need to make a call? If so, I can always borrow you my phone, since it's pretty much my fault yours got soaked in porridge anyway", I rekindled the flames of conversation, and offered my bulky Nokia cellphone to Professor. She looked at me, seemingly bit surprised, but then accepted it with a smile.

"T-thanks! I was gonna give my family call. You know, wish them merry Christmas", she explained, and took the phone from me. However, she didn't hold it for long, as she frowned the moment she saw the screen. "Wait........your phone doesn't get reception here either? Strange. I don't think a mere blizzard could cause something like this."

"Yeah......maybe the blizzard did something to the celltowers? I mean, right now, it's still around the Norfolk area, and only moving towards the island. I heard it'll hit us during the afternoon, and last a couple of days", I told what I knew about the blizzard. After all, I had listened to the weather reports too.

"Really? Then I guess I should get as much fresh air this morning as I possibly can..." Professor wondered. "Though, to be honest.........I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there. Everyone is always: "Ebha, go play outside!", but when I go there, I just sit around for few hours, and then come up back inside, ahahahaha....."

She laughed in a somewhat embarrassed way, and scratched the back of her neck.

"I guess I could go pay my respects in the Church, since it's Christmas and all........but Mr. Verde is really not the type I want to associate with. I mean, she's scary as heck!" Professor gave a nervous chuckle. "In any case, I should probably get going, I've finished with my breakfast and all......don't want to just doze off the day, you know?"

------------- Huh. So I guess her real name is Ebha. Didn't know that.

B-but! More importantly than that! She's about to leave. Should I just.......let her go? I mean, trying to make her stay would seem a bit desperate, and it's not like she's going to disappear anywhere from this island......I dunno...

Blog Entries
    When in doubt, rape the maids, boy

Nah, it was enough for now, boy. Patience always pays off. You'll talk with her later.

I guess you should search for another partner of conversation. Better to have many possibilities.

quotes