Page 28 of 103 FirstFirst ... 18232627282930333878 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Blog Entries
    And the wardog was actually Sirius in disguise.

And of course, the demolition squad was Aoko

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Same universe as . . .

May 3, 1999

"Christ, this is bad."

His code name wasn't "M," but he was the equivalent - head of MI-6, and so forth. And quite frankly, if he'd had access to a "Double-0 section," he'd have used it right now. In point of fact, he sorely wished that he had access to such a thing, at this moment.

"Trouble, Paul?"

The voice would've startled him, if he hadn't been expecting the visitor. There were good sides and bad sides to being a personal friend of the Prime Minister. This, arguably, could be either of them, depending on the result of the conversation.

"Are you asking officially, or off the books?"

The PM smiled. "Let's start with off the books - if I need to tell myself, officially, we'll decide that after."

"One of my retired field operatives has decided to go private, with quite a bit of stolen data," the department head admitted. "Even if he doesn't sell it, the blackmail possibilities aren't small, either. Unfortunately, he's in a veritable fortress, which makes anything less than a full assault unlikely to succeed - and a very public one, which makes that option unpalatable. And according to the chatter, I need to find a way to get him - or at least the data - within twenty-four hours . . ."

The PM said quietly, "I may be able to have it in less."

The chief blinked. This was an odd role reversal. "How? We'd need hundreds of millions of pounds available to ransom the data - "

The PM sighed. "No . . ."

Oddly, the other man turned to stare at a portrait of Winston Churchill. "Please tell the Director that we've reached condition Scarlet Seven. I'm requesting that Excalibur be drawn."

". . . Tony?"

"When I took office, I received a briefing I still don't quite believe," the Prime Minister admitted. "However, Sir John indicated to me that it was meant very seriously - and that I would have options that he, as Prime Minister, never did. Options that perhaps no leader of England has had, save King Arthur himself."

"Tony, you're not making sense," the MI-6 chief said. "This is bad, but there's still time - we can figure a way out."

"There is one," the PM began, just before a low rumble, like thunder, rattled through the room.

"What the hell - ?"

The air rippled, revealing a half-dozen figures, in outfits ranging from the stylishly modern to the positively medieval.

"What the hell - ?!" the chief repeated.

"My name is Kingsley Shacklebolt, sir," the eldest of them introduced himself - a tall, dark-skinned, deep-voiced man. "I'm here to help facilitate your introduction to these people." He gestured at the others, who barely looked old enough to be out of school. "Because if I understood you correctly, Prime Minister, it's finally time to bring this department fully up to speed."

"Indeed it is, Minister," the PM said gravely, before turning to his old friend. "MI-6, meet MI-13. You needed a miracle to retrieve your data - and miracles, as I understand it, are very much these people's stock in trade . . ."
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear lord kieran... this has become your snippet thread...
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    For this particular series, it always was - a place to discuss possibilities, and explore them.

EDIT: Though I admit, this particular bit was inspired by the fact that I saw "Skyfall" today.
    Last edited by Kieran; November 20th, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

C-Rank Presence Ignored TheAbsolutistsCreed's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    068,149,146/IGN: Emprisk
    Had this idea in my head for a while. All of us here know that Dumbledore was either senile or truly believed in what he said. Well what if he had an influence in most of his major decisions, in particular one dimensionally savvy Dead Apostle Ancestor who wanted to screw around with a reality that already didn't make sense. Though admittedly in my interpretation of it I'd probably make Zelretch into a rat bastard, because I'm not too good with lols.

Any takers? Bwahahah!
    US Story Support:

Blog Entries
    Let me clarify - you want Zelretch to replace Dumbledore, or be his drinking buddy and offer advice . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    The latter, though I assume your version is the one that is most likely?
    US Story Support:

Blog Entries
    I don't know - but if I decide to take it up, I want to make sure I'm doing it to your specifications.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Cool, but like I said, I would do it myself if I wasn't so... cynical i suppose. I'm just plain cruel when it comes to that kind of thing and it would probably show in my writing if i attempted it. I'm more oriented for drama/mystery and I really want to take a crack at something like that one of these days...
    US Story Support:

Blog Entries
    Continuing from here . . .

Luna Lovegood had always had a flexible mind, so in some ways, she had the easiest transition of all her friends. Granted, the trinity and Ilya had done this before, and thus had experience on their side, but those who had been born and raised in the wizarding world (or the world which had a wizarding world, in Hermione's case) were finding it difficult to cope with an abrupt change of species, not to mention the sudden addition entire other lifetime's worth of memories. Especially given that, with the change of species, that lifetime spanned decades longer than their own.

But she kept it straight in her head - mostly. She was Luna Lovegood, daughter of Xenophilius Lovegood, owner of the Quibbler newspaper. She was also Elune Lovegood (which was the translation of her family name among humans), daughter of Philonius Lovegood, a skilled if eccentric bard among her people. Luna was a student witch of Gryffindor House, with aptitudes in Ancient Runes and Magical Creatures. Elune was a talented bardic apprentice herself, who worshipped Sehanine Moonbow, and one of the most promising apprentices of Kieran Holt, a wise and powerful archdruid. Luna was, her magical talents aside, human. Elune was a lythari, one of the rarest of all elven races - a natural werewolf, which made her kinship with her druidic mentor all the more natural.

And there, she found a jarring disparity between her two lives, at last. Luna was the girlfriend of Colin Creevey, a mundane-born wizard. On the other hand, Elune was - or at least, she wished to be - Kieran's lover.

The two sides of her fought on this issue. Elune had no real interest in humans, and Kieran's own human blood only served to give an exotic appeal to his familiarly elven features. The fact that he, like she, was a natural werewolf brought more primal instincts into the fray, as well - she knew him to be a powerful potential mate, and found him attractive for it. Luna, on the other hand, had very strong feelings and fond memories of Colin, and knew very well that the wizard she'd called Galen Salvatore was devoted to Takara and Hermione. They were her friends, and they loved her - but they were hardly likely to include her among what they already considered a crowded relationship.

Not helping her in any case was the knowledge that Luna could have fallen for Galen when she was younger, had it not already been clear that he was taken, and that she'd often had the sense, under different circumstances, he might have chosen her . . .

Arguably, Shirou had the most experience assimilating new memories, given his time as Archer - though this was about the most alien set of memories he'd ever encountered. He'd grown up in the city of Calimport, an fire elemental-blooded elf, displaying a natural talent for metalworking as a child - and magic. Kiritsugu had taken him in, and trained him in his own skills - and while with him, he'd met Kiritsugu's daughter, and his eventual bride, Ilyasviel. Half-elven, the girl resembled her elven mother, down to her heritage's most salient feature: the delicately feathered wings of an avariel. Little Ai, born of their own union, was a pure elf - with the wings of her mother, and the hair colour of her father, though what she might've gain from his own extraplanar heritage, Shirou couldn't say.

As things stood, he was a skilled enchanter of objects, a sufficiently good fighter to teach the use of arms (which he did) - but his primary training was as a ranger. Nothing gave him more joy than tracking down and delivering justice to several evil races whose existence he loathed. One of those was the undead, which made eliminating Voldemort not only practical, but a genuine pleasure.

Shirou nodded mentally. This was an existence he could live with - in fact, he might enjoy it even more than he had being a wizard. It was a time and realm of genuine heroes . . . And for Ilya and Ai's sake, if no one else's, he really wanted to be one.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Seeing all these drabbles... I have to wonder if you're making plans for other stories... You have this D&D-like scenario while also working with Grail Works and other existing works. Well, I can't complain, all of your work is high quality.
    US Story Support:

Blog Entries
    Not really plans, as such - more like concepts that just won't go away. Or impulses that I want to try out. And sometimes, if some of them seem really fun, I might make a genuine tale of them - like the Kingdom Hearts one.

. . . On second thought, given how that ended up, bad example.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Go, go Ranger Trinity . . .!

Pain flared through Shirou's body - it felt like every cell was on fire - and upon clearing his vision, he had serious cause to consider that he'd been dosed with potent hallucinogens. It was the only explanation he could see for this particular sight.

"ALPHA," boomed the giant floating head. "WHAT HAS HAPPENED?"

"Ai-yi-yi," whined a walking cymbal set - or at least, that was what its head looked like. "Something interrupted the teleport, Zordon! Rocky, Adam and Aisha got lost, and we got - them!"

"THIS IS A CATASTROPHIC TURN OF EVENTS," rumbled "Zordon." "THREE INNOCENT LIVES ARE NOW AT RISK, BECAUSE THEY WERE ATTEMPTING TO HELP US, AND THESE THREE - "

"Are willing to help, if you'll let us," interrupted a new voice. Shirou glanced over, and nearly popped out of his skull. The guy looked like Takara's old Servant, but at about half the age he used to be!

"THESE ARE MOST UNUSUAL CIRCUMSTANCES - I AM NOT CERTAIN IT WOULD BE WISE TO ENLIST YOU. BUT YOU ARE BRAVE AND GENEROUS TO OFFER."

"Zordon, we may not have much choice," said a dark-featured kid in red. "We have to go to the Peace Conference, which means we need replacements. If these three are willing, then maybe we should give them a shot?"

"At least until you find your original three choices," Takara's ex-Servant added. "And maybe find us a way home, at the same time."

Before anything else could be said, an alarm began to blare.

"IT APPEARS WE HAVE LITTLE CHOICE," the giant head said grimly. "LORD ZEDD HAS LAUNCHED ANOTHER ATTACK ON ANGEL GROVE, NO DOUBT HOPING TO CAPITALISE ON THE RANGERS' WEAKNESS. TOMMY, HOLD THE SWORD OF POWER ALOFT - THE POWER TRANSFER MUST BE COMPLETED."

Shirou stared at the Servant-turned-kid in bewilderment. Had he really heard the guy whisper, "Yay - it's about to be morphin' time?"

What, exactly, did they give me? he wondered.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

The Shirou part of Shirou is going to be happy that he gets the chance to be a hero. The Archer part is going to want to commit sepuku just to escape the indignity of it all.

Blog Entries
    And there will be times that Galen wants to beat his head against a wall, too. But on the other hand, he'll be a Power Ranger! In the era with Tommy! At arguably his most awesome! . . . So yeah - it'll be a tossup as to whether there'll be more groans or maniacal fanboy laughter involved.

Honestly, though - I recently acquired Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Complete Series, so that's where this came from. And it occurs to me that if I was casting actresses to play Takara, the late (and lamented) Thuy Trang is pretty much all I could ask for in portraying her.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

It's been too long since I've seen anything power rangers, so my memory is sketchy. But I do seem to remember the green ranger being cooler than the white ranger he later became.

And why would Galen bang his head against the wall? He's much to devious and protectively evil (new term!) for that. He's just pretend to switch sides until he gets the chance to stab his enemies in the back - literally.

Changing the topic, I wonder if that's how Voldie will be defeated in book 7? Not through outright assault, but via subterfuge? OTOH, a giant lightning bolt exploding onto his head wouldn't make for a bad conclusion either.
    Last edited by JxK; January 13th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JxK View Post
    It's been too long since I've seen anything power rangers, so my memory is sketchy. But I do seem to remember the green ranger being cooler than the white ranger he later became.
    I liked him in any incarnation, but I have a special place in my heart for white tigers, so . . .

And why would Galen bang his head against the wall? He's much to devious and protectively evil (new term!) for that. He's just pretend to switch sides until he gets the chance to stab his enemies in the back - literally.
    Partly because some of the Power Rangers stuff is corny (though not as bad as later seasons), but partly because there are rules that he has to follow, in order to be a Ranger. One of which is "Never escalate a battle unless forced" - so no whipping out the mega-weapons straight off, for one-shot kills. No, he actually has to fight it first, and at this point in time, Billy is a better martial artist than he is.

Changing the topic, I wonder if that's how Voldie will be defeated in book 7? Not through outright assault, but via subterfuge? OTOH, a giant lightning bolt exploding onto his head wouldn't make for a bad conclusion either.
    I haven't actually thought that far ahead - though I do have a use planned for the Thunderbolt Charm.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    For all those Trinity fans who are disappointed that Archer never got to chew out Dumbledore, and point out all his mistakes in the afterlife . . . Well, it's not quite the same, but this fic might be an acceptable substitute?
    Last edited by Kieran; February 14th, 2013 at 10:15 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    For all those Trinity fans who are disappointed that Archer never got to chew out Dumbledore, and point out all his mistakes in the afterlife . . . Well, it's not quite the same, but this fic might be an acceptable substitute?
    I dare say it is some sort of substitute, though not an "acceptable" one due to Harry not being, as a character, capable of deconstructing one's approach in the same way Archer was. Though again, from the very beginning our "wish" to see Archer chew out Dumbledore was nothing more than a "for-fun" suggestion that we knew was unlikely to happen, so I guess we can't complain about getting anything instead of nothing (and, if anyone here really wanted to see that scene all that badly, there would be nothing forbidding us from writing that particular snippet of a scene and posting it in this very thread, so we can't complain either way).
    “Evil or not, I refuse to accept this 'fate'.”

Spoiler:
    There is a need to preserve tension in battle scenes. Therefore, if the protagonist is strong, show battles from his foes' perspective.
    There is a need to pull reader in with emotional scenes. Therefore, when creating one, write it as if you were describing a painting.
    There is a need to give your reader relief with comedic scenes. Therefore, you need them short, and cut off from the drama.
    There is a need to create suspense with drama scenes. Therefore, show the thoughts of your characters, make readers relate to their problems.

And there is a need for you in all of your scenes.
    Create things you want to create; shape the world to your whim.
    For you are the author of your tale.