Page 30 of 103 FirstFirst ... 20252829303132354080 ... LastLast

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    And welcome to the downside of Fatebindings - they're not always manifested in a way you'd like.
    It reminds me of one character in one of my still-in-writing stories. Said character for some reason (which is explained in the story, and goes deeper than I'm willing to explain without being asked as the whole thing would probably be boring for most in form of a mere explanation) is the most powerful character in the world, and various factions fight for access to said character and try to convince her to join them. Meanwhile, the character in question has approach which can be summed up with "just get this power for yourself and go away" (of course, it's impossible for them to do what she asks for while leaving her alone, and thus the whole thing gets complicated (especially since said "power" is a subject of a misinterpreted legend, or something like that).
    “Evil or not, I refuse to accept this 'fate'.”

Spoiler:
    There is a need to preserve tension in battle scenes. Therefore, if the protagonist is strong, show battles from his foes' perspective.
    There is a need to pull reader in with emotional scenes. Therefore, when creating one, write it as if you were describing a painting.
    There is a need to give your reader relief with comedic scenes. Therefore, you need them short, and cut off from the drama.
    There is a need to create suspense with drama scenes. Therefore, show the thoughts of your characters, make readers relate to their problems.

And there is a need for you in all of your scenes.
    Create things you want to create; shape the world to your whim.
    For you are the author of your tale.

C-Rank Presence Ignored TheAbsolutistsCreed's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    068,149,146/IGN: Emprisk
    Instead of plushies, Hermione would store away books and vociferously defend them with all her might, from the library xD
    US Story Support:

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You guys really seem to like this idea . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Found the (Disappointing?) snippet of dumbledore and archer.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...l=1#post881380
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    I thought it was in here somewhere.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Adrenaline surged through Galen's body, turning the world around him into a series of disjointed images. That detached little portion of his mind, honed by his Occlumency training, sorted them into something resembling a coherent whole.

Image One: he'd been walking alongside Takara and Hermione they moved through downtown Tokyo, looking for a particular store that sold something Takara wanted for Alex's birthday. He'd been sticking close to Hermione - even with as little sunlight as late November usually got, he was concerned about her strainng herself.

Image Two: Out of the corner of his eye - a flash of green, heading for a teenaged boy up ahead. Instinct immediately said "Killing Curse."

Image Three: Himself, dashing forward - impacting the kid, trying to drive him to the ground, if not out of the target zone entirely.

Image Four: Blinding green light - then white . . .

Which led to now, which was a thick, obscuring veil of smoke.

This doesn't look like King's Cross Station, the Pearly Gates, or . . . Did the Curse miss?

A sudden breeze cleared things away, so that he could see - but it would be a mistake to say that it cleared things up.

He was on a field, in what smelled like late spring or early summer, surrounded by people in Hogwarts robes. Seventh years, it looked like, but their robes had no House affiliations that he could see. And interspersed around them were all sorts of creatures; some mundane, some obviously magical.

That doesn't look like any dragon species I've ever heard of - and what the hell is that?!

A girl's voice, speaking an unfamiliar language but sharp in tone, caught his attention. She was smaller than Luna, unbelievably, but seemed more like Ginny in temperament, particularly in the coppery slits of her eyes. Her hair was like a mix of the two girls' - a very blonde red.

The girl fired off something at him, and Galen spread his hands. "I'm sorry, I don't speak the language. Parlez-vous francais?" After a beat, he tried Japanese, and even his (admittedly rusty) Latin, with the same results: blank incomprehension.

Hermione would probably have parsed something out by now, he thought sardonically. Or just bitten the girl - a taste of blood, a little Legilimency, and translation wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, we can't all be geniuses . . .

The girl turned to vent her frustration on an older man - an obvious professor - but the results were clearly not as she'd hoped. She whirled back to him, and Galen tensed, watching the tightening grip on the little witch's wand.

Galen calculated options - martial arts, wand, or the Taser? The latter two would be a definitive end to things if she chose to attack him - but unless he wanted to get into a free-for-all (which he didn't), probably weren't his best bet. Martial arts, then - a simple nerve pinch in a wrist lock would disarm her, and holding her would be easy from that point.

And then, maybe, I can get somebody to sit down with me and calmly figure out where I am. This doesn't look like what I've seen of the Australian magical school - but where else could it be, with the change in seasons?

"Galen!" Takara cried, as he was engulfed in a Killing Curse - and inexplicably vanished.

". . . Some kind of portal?" Hermione wondered aloud.

The two girls traded a look, and nodded, before diving forward, into the fading light. They might not have any idea what was on the other side - but neither of them was going to be left behind.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

It's Darkest just before Dawn. John At Dawn's Avatar
    Oh God Familiar of Zero. Yes.

Blog Entries
    I would run into the usual problem, of course - lack of what I consider sufficient access to the source material - but I thought it'd be amusing, just for a snippet.

After all, neither Takara nor Hermione would allow for the usual harem shenanigans - although Galen might find himself worshipped by Guiche and his cohort for managing to have a successful menage a trois, and Kirche the Ardent might try and weasel her way in. Still, that cuts out a lot of the usual subplots.

And their wizardry has a lot of tricks that ZnT does not: Apparation, Transfiguration, etc. It might actually be a semi-even fight, that way.

But unless they re-issue the anime (which I've heard they might), it's not likely to go beyond this.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Awww. Too bad. :/

Blog Entries
    Which is not to say the odd scene might not occur to me . . .

Galen: Levicorpus, Expelliarmus, Silencio . . . *catches and snaps wand in off-hand* All right, Louise, where would you like me to start? Shall I blind her? Cut off the hands that dared abuse you? What would be an appropriate punishment for her, for daring to lay hands upon my liege lady?

Takara: Galen, that's her older sister . . .

Galen: All the more reason, then - it's her duty to protect Louise, not torment her. She should learn what it feels like to be victimised, to be helpless in the grasp of a superior power, and know that there is nothing she can do to end the pain . . . Perhaps a little fire?

Hermione *glares at Louise*: You see? This is what happens when you start encouraging his darker impulses.

Or how about . . .?

*Folquet the Crumbling Dirt marches towards the Academy atop her giant rock golem*

Louise: Fireball! *misses, collapses wall*

Folquet *laughs*: Thanks for making this easier!

Galen: Crucio.

*The golem falls apart as Folquet's concentration is broken by the unfathomable pain - and if the fall doesn't kill her, being buried under several hundred tonnes of rock certainly does*

Galen: It's so nice to be able to use that spell without the social stigma or legal consequences . . . Shall we go get lunch, Miss Valliere?
    Last edited by Kieran; February 23rd, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Don't worry, the liquid is resplendent Incarnite Azurnum's Avatar
    Amusingly, HP has more than enough hax to completely trump the magic in ZNT excluding about a handful of outliers. While ZNT has more combat related spells, HP has such a larger spell list and with a good portion of them being save or suck type spells (Petrificus totalis, accio anyone?) that the Trinity would be an overly powerful out of context problem. Actually, isn't there a spell in HP that makes you immune to fire?

On another note, an Australian magical school would be interesting to be in if only because of the mandatory wrestling matches with the wild life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Incarnite Azurnum View Post
    Amusingly, HP has more than enough hax to completely trump the magic in ZNT excluding about a handful of outliers. While ZNT has more combat related spells, HP has such a larger spell list and with a good portion of them being save or suck type spells (Petrificus totalis, accio anyone?) that the Trinity would be an overly powerful out of context problem.
    Which might make it fun.

Actually, isn't there a spell in HP that makes you immune to fire?
    Close enough you might as well be.

On another note, an Australian magical school would be interesting to be in if only because of the mandatory wrestling matches with the wild life.
    *snicker*

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Seriously, though. If you have any more of this, even just ideas, I would like to see them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    But unless they re-issue the anime (which I've heard they might), it's not likely to go beyond this.
    There's still the light novels out there?

Blog Entries
    Yeah . . . I already tried using as a source those when I was writing "Unfamiliar" - my last, and since-deleted attempt at working with ZnT - and the phrase "almost worse than useless" springs to mind.

There's no sense of how someone speaks, no real description of the world surrounding the character (architectural style, garments, sounds, smells - hell, weather). It's written in the same flat tone I find every Japanese novel seems to be written in. I don't know if it's the standard style, or just an effect of the translation, but it imparts almost nothing in terms of value. And for every nugget of information it gives up, I have about four questions that are never answered. It might be the true source material, but in terms of world-building . . . Oy vey.

The anime might not be accurate, but at least it's detailed. If I can find it, I can work with it - but unfortunately, it seems to be out of print. Hence, hoping for a reissue.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    I think the final season of the anime is already past the translated progress of the light novels.
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

I once read that the reason ZnT fics are so popular while not many people like the characters of ZnT themselves is because of the world itself. It's not the characters, the themes, or the dialogue people like about it; it's the setting, the mechanics, the politics and the story that people like. Would you say that's accurate?

Blog Entries
    Probably. What I've seen of the characters (mainly through fanfiction) doesn't point to anything particularly original - most of them fill niches that were carved out in harem anime twenty or more years ago - but the world's a nice one to mess around it. Not quite as overpowered as "Slayers," but not as strict a setting as, say "Record of Lodoss War" in terms of what magic can or can't do. And the fact that you can summon a familiar from another world means the setting is well-suited to crossovers.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

The Anime is Shit, SHIIIIIIIIT. I simply cannot recommend that you watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by John At Dawn
    I once read that the reason ZnT fics are so popular while not many people like the characters of ZnT themselves is because of the world itself. It's not the characters, the themes, or the dialogue people like about it; it's the setting, the mechanics, the politics and the story that people like. Would you say that's accurate?
    I believe it is more the untapped potential that it had, more so than any other thing. While the setting, the mechanics and the story are not half bad, the characters, especially the main cast, are a pain in the arse; and are hit with a reset button every so often, to keep the bloody romantic drama/comedy. The political intrigue is below average, yet I find that for a light novel focused mainly on harem shenanigans, it is at a passable level.
    Last edited by AlER; February 23rd, 2013 at 11:08 AM.