Page 85 of 103 FirstFirst ... 35758083848586879095 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries

TREFOIL: Magic Evolved (Trinty/Halo X-over)

London, England
    Earth
    February 16, 2531 (UNSC Calendar)

The middle-aged military man who emerged from the wet streets outside was dressed in naval whites that were as bright and clean as the snow which dusted them, with a ramrod-straight posture that nevertheless radiated disgust. His piercing blue eyes were narrowed with anger, and the lines upon his face were exaggerated by the scowl it wore.

“Welcome home, Lord Hood,” greeted Jeeves, the family AI.

The man snorted. “I suppose so, seeing as I’m not particularly welcome anywhere else right now.”

Nor should he be, really, in hindsight. The official classifications were already calling it “the Battle of Arcadia.” The outright loss of Arcadia was more accurate, as it almost always was against the Covenant—and with it, far too many good men and women in uniform . . .

Including the Spirit of Fire, which up until two months ago had been his ship, captained by his friend and mentor, James Cutter.

Oh, the ship hadn’t fallen, precisely; unlike many, it had managed to retreat from the battlefield into Slipspace. But the log buoy it had dropped as it vanished, the only potential clue to locating its randomised destination—which he had been ordered to retrieve—had been lost at the battlefield. Lost, because he had been too angry, too focussed on making the Covenant bleed for their savagery. Focussed to the point that he’d taken on a ship that his own was in no way equipped to handle, and nearly lost it alongside the Spirit of Fire.

High Command was still debating his punishment, but it seemed unlikely he’d retain captaincy of his ship—he’d be lucky to keep the rank at all, and he knew it.

Lord Terrence Hood, present Captain of the UNSC Navy, had screwed up. And in screwing up, a lot more people than just himself would pay the price for it.

“Would you like me to prepare a meal, Lord Hood?” Jeeves asked. “Or perhaps Milord would prefer a bath? The weather is not precisely comfortable; you could likely use something hot.”

“My anger is hot enough right now, Jeeves,” the man stated honestly. “I could use a drink, or something to hit—possibly both.”

“I’m afraid the local constabulary frowns on combining the two, Milord,” the AI remarked dryly, not missing a beat. Instead, it counter-offered, “I’ll have a glass of brandy and a fire ready for you in the library, if you like.”

“. . . It’ll do,” Hood acknowledged grudgingly, even as he stepped out of the foyer and into the main house.

The townhouse, while large, was a grim old place—a far cry from the more opulent manor that the family used to host social occasions and show off its wealth—but it was old, having been in the family for several centuries. While not home, it was considered the original family seat; as such, it meant a great deal to the sort of traditionalists that he and his predecessors regularly dealt with in the House of Lords.

In the eyes of such people, one did not surrender such historic properties lightly, even if modern ones were more convenient.

For Hood himself, it was a residence that was closer to the centre of things, geographically, than the manor—as close as he could get without actually being stationed on a UNSC base, in fact. As such, he could be “unavailable” when it was convenient to his superiors (such as now, when his presence on-base would affect morale, and be a beacon to the media), but still within easy reach—the house was outside the base proper, but still within its general territory. After all, only an idiot assumed that a military base only cared about the confines of its walls, and didn’t pay attention to the general area beyond them.

In other words, it was a perfect place for him to be left to rot, and stew over his mistakes.

Hood grimaced—God knew, he’d had plenty of time to do it already. He’d managed to make arrangements for Cutter’s family (legitimate and otherwise); he could easily afford it, and it was the least he owed them. There was little left for him to do here but brood . . . And, he supposed, the library was as good a place as any to do so.

As Jeeves had promised, there was a glass of brandy waiting by an armchair before the great stone fireplace. The AI had even had the foresight to arrange to leave the bottle—something Hood suspected he and the AI would both come to regret, given how quickly he slugged back the contents of the glass and poured a second one.

Turning on his heel, Hood considered the various shelves before him. As might be expected, the house had access to countless digital books, but the library was fenced in by towering mahogany bookcases that held a number of physical, paper volumes. Many were first editions of ancient novels or texts, or simply fancy tomes bound in leather and gold. Collecting books had been something of a hobby for the family, over the centuries—and all became the more prevalent when electronic books began to seriously debut. After that, it was as much about having a real book available as it was any sort of collector’s value . . .

Which somewhat explained the eclectic shelf of well-read volumes in his immediate sight. For those volumes they did acquire for their collector’s value, but still wanted to read, there had to be “disposable” copies, as well. Most of that was old literature, “classics” and military treatises—service in the armed forces was another long-standing tradition in the Hood family—but none of those appealed to him right now. He hadn’t the patience to slog through high-minded, long-winded prose at the moment, and the less to do with military matters at the moment, the better. And those two facts left Captain Terrence Hood at something of a loose end regarding reading material.

Truth be told, as he’d said to Jeeves, he’d much rather hit—or shoot—something right now, but even if he’d been on base, his access to the range would’ve been restricted for “psychological reasons.” In other words, the brass didn’t think letting him have access to a gun right now was a good idea. And while, in other circumstances, he might’ve agreed with it as a rational decision, it was extremely frustrating right now.

Of course, what isn’t about this situation? Hood asked himself rhetorically. We’re losing ground to the Covenant every day—and millions of people in the bargain. We can only take them on with three-to-one odds in our favour, and even then, that’s just an equal fight, while they just go around and glass planets, for God’s sake!

The same attitude, the same rage, had caused him to act as he had at Arcadia—and while he was well aware of the terrible consequences of that decision, and regretted them deeply, that didn’t make the rage just go away . . .

Slugging back the second glass, he forewent the nicety of the glass entirely, and picked up the bottle before pacing the room.

They were putting up a fight—that was the oath he’d taken as a member of the UNSC, and he and everyone who wore the uniform were fulfilling it to the best of their abilities. They were bleeding the Covenant as best they could, and would continue to do so, but it didn’t change the fact that humanity was dying. Slowly, by inches, but it was happening. Humanity would die, unless something happened to change that—and at this point, they would need an honest-to-God miracle.

Angrily, Hood slammed a fist against the wall, causing pain to shoot up the side of his hand, and a book to tumble from the case beside him to the floor.

Scowling, he bent over to pick up the book—an old vampire novel, incongruous as it seemed. The sudden reminder of its presence in the stately library, with its cheap, pulpy appearance so wildly different from the luxurious, high-class tomes that surrounded him, caught Hood off-guard, and he paused.

It was titled “An Old Friend of the Family,” by Fred Saberhagen; a mass-market paperback with a painted cover of the type that had produced thousands of romance novels and other cheap books to adorn airport and drugstore bookshelves for decades. According to the copyright information, it had originally been published in 1979; this edition was relatively newer, albeit still several centuries old, but it showed no signs of any particular collectable value aside from its age. It was the sort of book that had been produced by the thousands, and digitised by the thousands, hundreds of years ago.

Why was it here again . . .?

Hood frowned. There was something—the appearance of the book itself rang a distant bell in his memory, but it was very distant, and the two strong brandies that he’d essentially mainlined were not helping his powers of recollection in the slightest. Yet, now that he turned his mind to it, that distant bell rang insistently, like a warning klaxon that ought to be signalling an imminent attack. There was something important about this book that he ought to be remembering, he was sure, but the only other thing he was certain of about it was that the book was too small to be a false one, hollowed out to hide valuables.

Hood collapsed into the armchair next to where he’d picked up the brandy, and stared at the cover a moment longer before deciding to thumb through it. It wasn’t as though he had anything else to do at the moment, and his general state of irritation—not at all pacified by the alcohol—refused to allow him to let it go, now.

There was no dedication within to the book; no autographs or notes from anyone famous that would’ve justified keeping it. The author’s name was familiar, but not known, like Shakespeare or Tennyson, so that wasn’t it, either. And it didn’t take the captain long to discover that someone had dog-eared one of the pages—an act that would’ve earned him a terrible punishment as a child. Worse, they’d highlighted lines in the book, which his grandfather would’ve taken as grounds to set him before a firing squad, if not hung immediately from the nearest tree.

Hood was intrigued, because despite the damage, the family had still kept the book. That implied that it was either physically irreplaceable (possible, but unlikely, given the existence of digital copies), or of incredible sentimental val—

As the highlighted text actually sunk into his conscious mind, Hood froze.

“Now when I say ‘troubles,’ I’m not talking about the ordinary sort. Like money troubles, or unfaithful husbands—those things God sends to us all,” the old woman told her firmly. “I’m talking about a day when the powers of Hell itself seem to well and truly have you in their grasp . . . Then, and only then, should this book be used. Do you understand, Clarissa?”

The captain stared at the book, remembering now why the name of the author—and the book itself—had seemed familiar. It was the old family legend; in fact, according to the legend, it was older than the family. Like tales of an ancestral ghost or banshee, the story had persisted throughout generations, taught but never believed: that when true danger or disaster struck the family, protection could be called for—and would, under the right circumstances, be granted.

It was ridiculous, of course; an old family joke played on the children, like Santa Claus; and yet, Hood was just drunk enough that the idea stuck in his head.

A day when the powers of Hell seem to have you in their grasp . . .” he muttered, thinking aloud to himself more than anything else. “I’m not sure there’s a better description of the Covenant.”

Surely, the potential extinction of all humanity would be considered “the right circumstances”—if not, then nothing would. And he was alone, officially “on medical leave”; no one would know, or have to know, that he’d done anything . . .

“Jeeves,” Hood announced, “activate the Saberhagen Protocol.”

“. . . Acknowledged, sir,” the AI replied.

The ritual was a simple one, as such family traditions often were. It was done in the attic, before an antique mirror: a silver-backed one, with intricate design work scrolled across and around it that, to his knowledge, no one in the family had ever properly identified. The mirror had been around as long as the story, though; it was arguably the source of it, though the legend had never confirmed or denied that, or made any explanation was to why either might be so.

And it was only now, as Hood prepared to enact the ritual himself that a random thought occurred to him: the mirror had never really seemed to need caring for. Oh, it was dusty, certainly, but not nearly as much as it really ought to be, on close examination, with no hint of the tarnish or fading that should have accumulated after centuries, especially in a dank, dusty attic . . . And despite that, it had never been polished—never even really been seen, outside a rare occasion when the family legend was told—that he could ever recall.

And somehow, he—no one in his family, that he remembered—had ever really noticed that fact before.

A cold shiver travelled, unbidden, down Hood’s spine, before he told himself that he ought to be expecting conclusions like that, given that he was just too drunk to be sensible about things—if he wasn’t, then why else would he even be thinking of this ritual in the first place?

Hood lit the candle in front of him, picked up the penknife, and recited the words he’d been taught.

“Per votum antiquis ego voco te.
    (By ancient vow, I call you.)

Volens per sanguinem ego voco te.
    (Through willing blood, I call you.)

In extrema necessitate, voco te.
    (In dire need, I call you.)

Martia ter dicuntur: per ter: et necessitate tenetur in verbo, et sanguis: et egrediebatur de summonicione nostra hercle!
    (Thrice called, thrice bound in blood and word and need: answer my summons and come forth!)”

Pricking a thumb (it seemed appropriate), he allowed blood to well up, and dripped it onto the candle’s wick.

It was only as his eyes rose back up that he noticed, for a fraction of a second, that in the mirror, the candlelight flashed scarlet as it was extinguished.

For an instant, smoke stung his nostrils in silence—and then the mirror briefly but visibly vibrated—followed by an equally brief tremor that shook the rest of the house.

“Jeeves!” Hood demanded. “What was that?”

“. . . Working,” the AI replied after a moment, as though it was just as puzzled as he. “Apologies, Milord—but while I cannot identify the cause, the effect appears to have originated from the sub-basement.”

Nonplussed, Hood stared. “That’s ridiculous—this house doesn’t have a sub-basement!”

Sounding almost apologetic, Jeeves replied, “It does now, Lord Hood . . .”

Writer's Notes: With gratitude and apologies to the late Mr. Saberhagen, the text from An Old Friend of the Family is reproduced as faithfully as I can recall without actually digging the book out to check. And this is posted a day early, because I'm headed out to see Fantastic Beasts tomorrow as an early birthday present - which will no doubt give me ideas . . .

In the meantime: Wizards vs. Aliens, Round 2 - go!
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Happy early Birthday, Kieran!

In any case, please give this an update when you get the chance?
    Xamusel's Fanfiction Profile

For those that don't necessarily care if my fics aren't all Type-Moon related.

Hmm... this is a bit of a surprise these days.

An archive of my works on the forum that's pretty accurate.

Note that I don't wish to be seen as an idiot any longer. I can't always promise better works than before, but I can sure as hell try, alright?

Blog Entries
    Oh, will do - the timeline takes some juggling, as you might have guessed (since we're far in advance of the SPARTAN program even going public, here), but as with the Mass Effect snippets, I always did want to do this sort of "King Arthur" setup.

. . . Now, one of the issues is that Hood isn't highly-placed enough (yet) to know about the SPARTAN program, or what it entailed; I'd either have to fudge some Legilmency shenanigans and other tricks to reveal them to the rest, or just point out that certain people would recognise Hood for who he is, by look and voice - Ron Perlman is pretty distinctive, that way.

Anybody want to take bets as to how deep ONI is going to find themselves in Hell regarding using children the way they have - and who is going to blow up the worst?

EDIT: And just in case it wasn't obvious - a "trefoil" is a pattern of three overlapping rings, like they use for the biohazard symbol and similar designs. I thought it was appropriate.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

You're the only other person I've seen reference Saberhagen. I loved the Empire of the East trilogy and I'm working my way through all the Books of Swords.
    "We don't need martyrs right now. We need heroes. A hero would die for his country, but he'd much rather live for it." -Josiah Bartlet

List of Servants I've made

Blog Entries
    Amusingly, I think Empire is the only one of his major works I didn't get my hands on. I primarily read (and collected) his Dracula series (quelle surprise, I know ), but I managed to catch a few Berserker stories (not bad), most of the Swords books, and the whole of The Faces of the Gods - I liked the last one best.

. . . *Chuckles* I'm still trying to work out how to bring in Woundhealer as a potential vampirism cure - any ideas?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

TREFOIL: Magic Evolved, Part II (Trinity/Halo X-over)

The former dungeons of 12 Grimmauld Place
    Unknown time

Going from “awake” to “out” to “awake” in near-instant succession was a strain, to put it mildly. Human beings weren’t meant to function like light switches, and the suddenness of going from one state to the next was a literal shock to the system that could have proved fatal, even with all the precautions they’d taken.

As such, it was little surprise that she stumbled, at first; even less of one that she was caught before she could fall.

“Easy,” murmured the familiar voice, her memory making the connection before her hearing finished calibrating the sound. “Easy . . .

“Like . . .” She coughed, trying to bring her voice back up to normal volume. “Like it’s any easier for you . . . I never—thought I’d actually miss—being undead . . .”

“It’s a bit easier,” Takara returned loftily. “Nineteen hours of labour gave me some experience with system-wide stresses.”

None of which endears the idea to me,” Hermione muttered, “or enflames my eagerness to share the experience. . . And don’t you start,” she warned their mutual companion. “You get no input on either subject.” Scowling, the British witch muttered under her breath, “Cheating stamina freaks . . .”

“I don’t recall you complaining before, Hermione,” Galen fired back. “And it’s no picnic for me either, ridiculous endurance or not—I was powering most of the enchantments, remember?”

“We warned you,” the witches chorused.

“Yeah, yeah,” he grunted. “It worked, didn’t it?”

“The Foe-Glass is still clear,” he continued in a deliberate change of subject, glancing at the wall, “so it’s not an immediate threat . . . Nothing from the Sneakoscope, either—so it’s not liable to be a trap. Is there anything from the mirrors, or the Map?”

“No,” Takara reported, “but the enchanted tapestry has the entire family at ‘Mortal Peril’ status—even the dead members.”

“So something potentially capable of wiping out the planet wholesale,” Hermione muttered. “That’s certainly a new one—and terrifying.

“If it was easy, it wouldn’t have been worth the trade, Hermione,” Galen reminded her, before adding sharply. “And it was worth the trade, Hermione—even if we got lucky.”

Lucky?!” she repeated disbelievingly.

Before she could demand an explanation, Takara answered the “how” herself. “Because we would have done this anyway, Hermione—or can you honestly say you wouldn’t have fought to protect the planet from literal annihilation?”

Hermione, her mouth already half-open, paused at the question—before suddenly deflating with a sigh.

“. . . Gryffindor, ho,” she admitted weakly.

The others sighed in understanding and mutual commiseration. It was aggravating, even if they’d let themselves be manipulated—because the price was one that they were willing to pay, for what they’d wanted, and it was almost unheard of for that to be the case . . . Really, the fact that it was only underscored how important this had to be; and all parties involved had known it.

But they’d asked for something equally simple, and equally not easy, and so the bargain had been fair; which was, in the end, all that had mattered—

Sudden noise, audible through the thick walls only to people with their level of enhanced hearing, drew all three from their thoughts. Weapons drawn, they listened cautiously, even as Takara caught Galen’s eye and shot him a quick message through Legilimency.

“. . . Why am I suddenly thinking of the Hellboy movies?”

“Jeeves, how old is this?” Hood demanded.

“Based upon its location, Lord Hood,” the AI ventured hesitantly. “I would assume it is as old as the house itself, as it seems unlikely that one could dig under the foundations to this extent without collapsing the above structure . . .”

There was a pause, before Jeeves added hesitantly, “Otherwise, based on the assumption generated by its actual, seemingly perfectly-preserved condition, I would calculate that this was put in approximately two days ago.”

“Which is impossible, given that I was here then, and no such construction occurred,” Hood muttered. “But then again, so is the idea that this entire level has gone undiscovered by my family, or any of the renovators and contractors that have been on the grounds, for over seven hundred years.”

“Precisely, Lord Hood,” Jeeves affirmed, seemingly pleased at not having to state the ridiculous paradox out loud. Whether it offended his logical nature as an AI or his programmed persona’s sense of decorum, Hood wasn’t sure.

Jeeves was a “dumb” AI; not as adaptable as the limited-life-span “smart” AIs, but despite that, he was a remarkably high-end model of the former. Between the requirements of an AI owned by a serving member of the UNSC Navy—and the technology available to said navy—and the money of the Hood family, Jeeves had the capacity to run a full colony, despite being “only” a digital attaché.

As such, the AI’s hesitancy in dealing with the current situation was concerning—though, Hood admitted privately, completely understandable.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, he found a set of doors with a crest emblazoned on it. It took a moment to train his light on it—and get what threatened to be the biggest shock yet.

“. . . Jeeves, is this genuine?” he asked hoarsely.

“‘Genuine’ how, Milord?” the AI inquired.

Hood blinked. Ah, of course—the wrong question, as far an AI was concerned. He rephrased it, “Can you tell how old this emblem is?”

“. . . Based on the chemical degradation, perhaps two weeks,” Jeeves replied. “However, the chemical composition was a form of paint commonly used approximately three hundred and fifty years ago.”

“It’s about the right age, then,” Hood muttered, shaking his head. “Do you recognise the emblem?”

“No, Milord,” the AI replied. “No military unit, current or former, has ever been assigned three poppies of those colours as an identifier.”

Because they’re not a military unit, they’re a myth.

“A myth, Lord Hood?” Jeeves asked, and Hood realised he’d spoken the thought aloud.

“. . . It’s a tall tale, among soldiers,” he answered finally. “They were a black-ops unit, maybe, once. Other versions say they’re the Wild Hunt, led by King Arthur, returned to protect the soldiers of his homeland, and chose to spread beyond Britain as the exemplar of chivalry and the best of humanity. Or perhaps they were the spirits of those who died on the battlefield, given a second chance by God to protect their fellow soldiers—or maybe the Devil, when even he became too sick of bloodshed . . .”

“Nobody knew,” he said. “Until today, no one even had physical proof that they existed—just stories of units trapped behind enemy lines, or imprisoned in POW camps, lost at sea or any number of circumstances where extraction, evacuation, or reinforcement was impossible, even if they knew where to send it in the first place . . . That when no help was coming, sometimes it would show up anyway.”

“. . . I don’t understand.”

“Those same units under siege? They’d find enemy forces suddenly confused, or vanished—or themselves, suddenly hundreds of kilometres from their last location. POW camps would lose walls, abruptly, and men who’d suffered torture and malnutrition for weeks would suddenly find themselves fighting fit, or at least in a hell of a lot better shape. Ships that had run aground on a reef in a storm would somehow sink slowly enough for the entire crew to safely evacuate, or manage to float their way to friendly forces . . .

“Granddad had a story, about his grandfather,” Hood rumbled. “An infantry unit caught in a firefight in a cave—they triggered a collapse, and he was caught in a pocket under literal tons of rock. A space not much bigger than a coffin, his leg wedged firmly, and total darkness. Even if his unit could’ve stopped right then to dig him out, it would’ve taken more hours than he had air, with equipment they didn’t have. And my great-grandfather was smart enough to know it, but he was still only human. He still prayed, desperately, for someone—for anyone—to save him.

“And according to the story my grandfather was told, in that pitch-black space—barely larger than a coffin—a hand reached out of the darkness to grab his arm, and pull him into the light.”

“No evidence,” Hood repeated, “just stories, repeated in dozens of languages, on every continent on Earth, and more than a few planets beyond, later, for over a quarter of a millennium. Tall tales and legends of rescues that no one and nothing could have actually pulled off—with no sign that anything occurred, but for the appearance of three poppies.”

“I don’t understand the significance, Milord,” Jeeves admitted.

“Neither did we, and there’s a fair bit of disagreement among people who tell the stories,” Hood admitted. “It was a tradition started with the British Royal Legion, though, so most figure that’s where the Arthurian connection comes from. The most optimistic interpretation is this: a red poppy, to remember those soldiers who have fallen; purple, for those animals who fell in service with them, and white, to remember that all those who serve and fall in war do so in the hopes that theirs will be the last.

He shrugged. “Depending on your personal beliefs, interpretations of the colours vary; I prefer to think of it that way, myself.”

“A very romantic attitude, Lord Hood,” Jeeves said neutrally.

Agreed!” called a booming voice suddenly, from behind the door. “I think we would like to meet such a one as you!

Do come in, won’t you?” offered a second, distinctly feminine voice, flavoured with traces of an exotic accent he couldn’t quite place.

The doors opened, even as a second woman’s voice, distinctly British, added dryly. “I promise—we won’t bite . . .

Writer's Notes: A bit late for Remembrance Day, I know - but I was feeling sentimental.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity: The Downs

Bailey Downs, Ontario
    September 24, 1999

It was a funny thing, when you lived in a “fictional” universe: you started wondering what was and wasn’t fiction, exactly.

Granted, some things were certain – the existence of specific comic books, novels, films and TV series generally ruled out the idea of their being a reality in their current reality . . . Unless somebody was pulling a Masquerade tactic, of course, but down that road lay more madness than they currently possessed or could reasonably cope with. That being the case, people who didn’t want to end up in the proverbial rubber room left the concept well alone.

(Not that an actual rubber room would hold most of them, mind you; having seen the Wizarding World’s idea of long-term mental health care, however, they really didn’t want to risk it.)

Still, between the five of them (the trinity plus Hermione and Ilya), they had enough media knowledge to be wary of potential crossover risks – ranging from the amusing to the world-ending in scope – and thus, had spent a lot of downtime on the topic.

DC and Marvel Comics both had their standard property lines going, which eliminated several possibilities while opening up the potential for great and terrible viewing options in their future. Vampires, werewolves and witches followed Potterverse rules, which eliminated several more. The storyline of the first “Underworld” movie was possible, for example – as a straight vampire/werewolf romance – but the Corvinus bloodline wasn’t a thing, so the elements that made up most of the sequels didn’t exist, so it was unlikely. And the lack of certain locations, like any town called “Springwood” that had either an infamous “slasher” or an “Elm Street,” meant that certain things were just not going to happen – which was, frankly, a relief.

Still, just because there was no Silas University in Austria, or an organisation called the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce – meaning no chances of running into the vampire Carmilla, or having a TARDIS show up in Diagon Alley – didn’t mean that they didn’t find a few oddities, here and there. For example, the lack of actors named Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg, while a tragic loss to the profession, hinted that British agents John Steed and Emma Peel might’ve actually existed in the 1960s . . .

And some were, admittedly, probably just coincidences. “Riverdale” wasn’t exactly a unique name, for example, and until they actually ran into a certain redhead and his girlfriends, there was no reason to consider that the comic book was a reality here – and unless this was the zombie apocalypse version, it wasn’t really a problem if it was.

That, initially, was what had been assumed in this case. After all, he’d checked the records for 1993 after discovering the place existed – that was the time when things could have logically taken place – and tragically meant that he was too late to change them – and there had been nothing.

. . . But then again, time as perceived in his original universe could be odd, relative to reality; Hermione, for example, had been nearly twelve when she started Hogwarts, but had resembled Emma Watson at age nine. And despite what logic said, the actual timing of events had never been clarified. Besides, just because one of the possible crossover elements had been ruled out if he was correct, it didn’t rule out the other two he knew of, so he’d kept an eye on the place, as best he could.

And that no was small feat, really, trying to keep up on a small Ontario town from England, in the infancy of the Internet – he’d managed it, though (admittedly, magic helped) and when the killing of local dogs had been noted, he’d known what was coming.

He just hoped he was in time . . .

When Brigitte Fitzgerald saw her older sister get taken by what had to be “The Beast,” her heart leapt into her throat. It was as much panic as courage that gave her the capacity to track them down and fight it off of her – and luck, more than anything else, that she actually managed to accomplish it.

“Off of,” however, was not “away from,” and she struggled to keep up with her taller, injured sibling to her feet as she ran, screaming, before the animal gathered its wits enough to pursue them.

Behind them, the dark-haired teen heard a snarl—

BLAMBLAM! BLAMBLAM! BLAM!

A sound, like someone setting off the biggest fireworks she’d ever heard, exploded out of the air, causing both sisters to freeze in panic. When Brigitte dared look behind her, turning her head fearfully, she saw a bloody splatter on the road. There were clumps of fur and meat scattered amidst the mess that gave her just enough context to recognise what was left of what was – she presumed – “the Beast of Bailey Downs.”

“Holy shit,” Ginger muttered in her grip, sounded half-dazed. “That looks awesome.

It did have a visceral artistry to it, Brigitte admitted; it wouldn’t have been out of place in their photo project. But she was more concerned with what had done that. It hadn’t sounded like it did on film, but otherwise, she’d have sworn those were gunshots just now . . .

“Damn,” muttered a deep voice, tinted with traces of an accent. “Just a minute or so too slow – sorry about that.”

Emerging from the dark was a man built like the sort of person she’d never wanted to meet in the dark – as wide as her and Ginger standing side-by-side, and tall enough that she’d need to look up to see his chin. There was a sharp, smoky smell around him (gunpowder?), along with a musky sort of leather that she guessed came from his coat.

“Hang on, girls – let me see to those injuries,” he muttered.

He pulled a bottle of something from his coat, and for the first time, locked eyes with Brigitte. They were dark, but something in them glittered, like fireflies in the depths of a lake . . .

Your sister needs to take this,” he said firmly, with the sort of authority that ought to come from a burning bush, or the Jedi mind trick. The fact of what he said was indisputable.

Brigitte blinked, and saw the man leaning over Ginger. “This will sting, but you need to take this,” he said quietly. “Hold still—

Brigitte heard a hiss, like from pouring peroxide on a wound – or acid. Ginger muffled a scream by burying her face in her sister’s shoulder, her grip tightening like a vise on Brigitte’s hand as she cursed violently.

“Sorry,” said the stranger – and to his credit, he did sound it – “but it’s how it works. Next – hey!” He caught Ginger’s chin and turned her face to meet his gaze firmly. “Next, drink this, slowly – it’ll finish clearing out your system.”

Her sister complied with unusual meekness, which made Brigitte suspicious. “What are you giving her – who are you?”

“I’m just the proverbial Good Samaritan, miss,” he answered, his face annoyingly concealed by the hood atop his coat and the shadows it made. “I saw two girls being chased by a rabid animal, acted to intervene and provide first aid.” She caught a glimpse of a smile. “Really, you two are luckier than you’ll ever realise – there wasn’t a treatment for this available six years ago.”

Brigitte blinked. “What does that mean . . .?” She tensed. “Is this some kind of secret pharmaceutical experiment? A CIA black-op with bio-weapons?”

A flash of teeth – she was sure he was grinning. “I can neither confirm nor deny that, Missy,” he said. “But if it was, I’d have to eliminate all the witnesses.”

Her eyes widened in horror as he rose, suddenly, and she flinched as there was movement under that dark coat, her eyes involuntarily dropping to the ground—

An understated whoosh drew her attention, and she abruptly realised that he’d moved several metres away, to set the corpse of The Beast on fire.

The stranger turned back. “You two head home, now – and take care of each other.”

He stood up from the rapidly-burning body, and began to walk away.

Brigitte stared, before looking at her sister.

"What the fuck just happened, B?" Ginger demanded.

Galen sighed, pleased to have averted an outbreak of something that, if it followed the films, worked as much like a blood malediction curse as standard lycanthropy. It might be a facet of First Nations magic, if the prequel’s story held any truth to it – he’d gotten a blood sample for Takara to look at, just in case. Who knew, it might hold some bearing on Hermione’s condition . . .?

Regardless, while I’ll still have to keep an eye out in case the events of “Orphan Black” or “A Christmas Horror Story” decide to play out here – and the latter seems more likely, with the Fitzgerald sisters on the scene – I’d say it’s enough that the events of “Ginger Snaps” and its sequel won’t. Both sisters get to live; I’d say that’s a good night’s work.

Casually, he undid the Mundane-Repelling Charm he’d put up to keep away the curious, after he’d fired the gunshots—

So naturally, then the van hit him.

Writer's Notes: Come on, you knew that sooner or later, these little bits of meddling were going to bite Galen in the ass . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    and send him into another world again? Granted, it's a van and not Truck-kun

*in Japan the most popular way to send a protagonist to another world is via being hit by a truck, apparently.*
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hatori View Post
    and send him into another world again? Granted, it's a van and not Truck-kun

*in Japan the most popular way to send a protagonist to another world is via being hit by a truck, apparently.*
    . . . I wouldn't know - the few I've seen involve either direct summoning, being pushed in front of a train, or "blam - here you are!"

And in this case, no - this van would have hit the werewolf, in the normal course of things, its driver just kept wandering until the Charm's removal meant he could go the way he'd been planning to . . . Fortunately, he's too stoned to really think about that; unfortunately, Galen's face (the only part of him his duster doesn't protect) is about to be introduced to a tree - at high speed.
    Last edited by Kieran; December 4th, 2018 at 09:02 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

C-Rank Presence Ignored TheAbsolutistsCreed's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    068,149,146/IGN: Emprisk
    I'M ALIVE!!!

God it has been far too fucking long since I've been back here and i miss it immensely.

Halo and Fate/Grand Order for xovers? Take my money!

I'll need to think over the latter to help give you any ideas. Just went through a massive catch up session and want to sleep now.

As for including the others in the F/GO paradigm, why not make them survivors of the original who are severely injured/dying in the rayshift machines. (I call them coffins despite the negative connotations of the nomenclature).
    US Story Support:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAbsolutistsCreed View Post
    I'M ALIVE!!!

God it has been far too fucking long since I've been back here and i miss it immensely.
    And we've missed you - welcome back.

Halo and Fate/Grand Order for xovers? Take my money!
    *Chuckles* I'll keep that in mind - though, as you've probably noted, the Halo one is a slow starter, and the F/GO one is tricky in its complications.

I'll need to think over the latter to help give you any ideas. Just went through a massive catch up session and want to sleep now.
    OK - I can't deny I could use some.

As for including the others in the F/GO paradigm, why not make them survivors of the original who are severely injured/dying in the rayshift machines.
    Huh - now there's a thought . . . Especially given the recent revelations about a certain Crypter . . .

(I call them coffins despite the negative connotations of the nomenclature).
    So does the game, as far as I know.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity: Re-Ordered

Writer's Notes: Blame TheAbsolutistsCreed - his enthusiasm has had me thinking of this all week . . .

“Simulation complete,” said the voice from nowhere. “Rayshift: successful—candidate is confirmed as a viable Master. Have a nice day.”

Chaldea Security Organisation Headquarters
    July 30, 2015

Even as he awoke and emerged from the darkness (was this a coffin?), Shirou felt new memories trying to settle into his brain. Having experienced this already in his life (and more than a few times, at that), it didn’t take him long to sort things out—even if doing that ended up leaving him with more questions than answers.

This version of him had never been a magus; not a trained one, at least. There was no Fuyuki Fire in his memories, no encounter with Kiritsugu—no Fifth Grail War, either. He’d known almost none of the people from his first life, and those few he did were rarely in the same context. But despite knowing nothing of the Moonlit World, or magecraft, he’d still had the potential, and it had been picked up by the Chaldea Security Organisation, which had recruited him in an effort to save humanity.

Even in a different world—a different life—it appeared that some things did not change . . .

I wonder if “Fujimura” was my original surname back home, too? Shirou mused, before reminding himself, Not that I had a chance to get used to it—and really, Ilya, “Animusphere?” Could you possibly have come up with something more ridiculous-soun—

“Oh, thank Merlin—it’s you,” murmured a familiar voice, causing Shirou to turn, and see Neville abruptly acquire a panicked expression. “Wait—you are you, aren’t you? Please be you . . .”

“One of us,” Shirou replied dryly, “has seen too many Abbott and Costello movies—because you’re beginning to sound like the latter.” He smirked. “Shall we blame Galen?”

“. . . I’d hex you for winding me up like that, but I don’t seem to have any non-lethal spells like that,” Neville muttered, even as he sagged with relief. “And what I’ve got . . . I thought the Death Eaters were bad—these ‘magi’ are . . .” He shuddered, before abruptly scowling as he added, “Somebody’s got a sense of humour, though; I’m apparently part of the ‘Botany Department’ of this ‘Clock Tower’—and Luna said she belonged to the ‘Zoology Department.’ Whoever set all this up seems to know us pretty well.”

“Yeah,” Shirou agreed in a noncommittal tone. “It seems like they do . . .”

Takara slowly became aware of someone licking her face. It didn’t feel like it was Mirai—or Crookshanks, for that matter—being not quite rough enough for a cat’s tongue, which also ruled out Hermione as Nala. But while the texture was more or less correct, the size meant that it wasn’t Galen in his Animagus form, either; the tongue was far too small for the dire wolf . . .

Opening her eyes as much out of curiosity as anything else, the girl found herself beholding the sort of creature she’d never expected to see outside of a Miyazaki film or a Pokémon game. It was small, white, and vaguely canine, but with aspects that wouldn’t look out of place on a rabbit—or a squirrel, for that matter.

“Fou!” it chirped, and she had enough experience with canines to read its body language as “pleased.”

“Hello, little one,” she murmured, “I don’t suppose you know where we are . . . ?” Takara frowned, even as the little furry creature rubbed its head against her hand. Her voice sounded odd . . .

“Fou!” called a girl’s voice. “Fou, where did you—” Around the corner came a teenage girl with light hair, and glasses that framed deeply violet eyes. “Oh! He – hello there . . .”

“Hello,” Takara replied, still thinking there was something strange about her voice. “Can you tell me where I am?”

“You’re in the Chaldea Security Organisation . . .” the girl answered in a mystified voice, before it visibly cleared. “Oh! You must be one of the newer Master candidates—the first Rayshift tends to cause some mental discontinuity. Don’t worry, it will pass, but we can always see Doctor Roman if you’re really worried . . .”

Shy, Takara noted, but a chatterbox when she gets going.

“I’m terribly sorry,” she decided to say, “but I’ve forgotten to introduce myself. I am Aozaki Takara, and you are?”

“Oh!” The girl blushed in embarrassment. “My name is Mash Kyrielight. I live here. I’m Fou’s official caretaker—he’s a very important creature with special access to Chaldea . . . Although you might be the second,” she noted. “He doesn’t often take to people, just me and Sempai . . .

‘Sempai?’” Takara repeated.

“He’s Fou’s unofficial caretaker,” Mash explained, “which lets him do all the fun things without the accompanying responsibilities—or that’s what he says, anyway.”

That sounds suspiciously like Galen’s description of being Ai’s godfather, Takara thought, even as Mash continued, almost to herself, “So if you become Fou’s second official caretaker . . . that means that I’ll finally have a kohai of my own! Eeeeee—! Sempai will be so proud of me!”

Takara blinked, having heard that sort of squeal and speech pattern before. “Um, Kyrielight-san? Do you know a girl named Luna Lovegood, by any chance?”

“I’m surprised you didn’t take Mash’s place,” Galen mused, even as his pen scratched across the surface of the book in his hand. “After all, a ‘designer baby’ with a deliberately-limited lifespan and connected to a spirit directly involved with the Holy Grail sounds like a pretty good analogue for you. Particularly given that they’re the first and closest Servant the protagonist Master has—since that’s Shirou, now . . .”

“I wanted to make sure we had the authority we needed to act,” Ilya—now Ilya Marie Animusphere—replied. “Besides, you were just as close a match, really: a glasses-wearing protector, tied to Sir Galahad, the knight who actually found the Holy Grail . . .?”

“And you didn’t put me in that position because . . .?

“Well, first, you’d have pouted for ages if I’d erased Mash, wouldn’t you?” Ilya said dryly. “Second, given the ‘limited lifespan’ aspect? Takara has her Mystic Eyes back, and I did not want her coming after me with them.” She gave him an arch look. “And besides—as much as you might want to be, you’re not really a compatible match for the most pure and perfect knight in Christendom. There’s more than one reason you got the Heroic Spirit you did.

“Hmph,” the other grunted. “Pity it’s the most combat-useless one possible.

Ilya shrugged. “At least I was able to do it—all that unmentioned backstory just begging to be taken advantage of, with Alaya and Gaia willing to play along . . . You’re a bad influence, that way.”

“I’m not sure we’ve done them any favours,” Galen noted. “It’s home to you, but the Clock Tower is a lot more brutal than the Wizarding World.”

“It keeps them alive—and lets us stack the deck a little more,” Ilya defended herself. “It’s why those two were willing to play along: Alaya’s interest is natural, but consider what it would really take to ‘incinerate Human History.’”

“. . . You’d have to make sure the Earth was incapable of evolving human life.”

“Right,” Ilya agreed. “Considering that, a little meddling with history as it stands—especially since it’s undefined from our point of view—to let the identities of unnamed magi be our friends isn’t asking a lot. Likewise, a prototype Demi-Servant: the proof-of-concept that convinced them they needed a ‘designer baby’ like Mash.”

Galen nodded. After a moment, however, he looked at Ilya over the rims of his glasses.

. . . And?” Galen prompted. “Now that your expositional distraction is over, you can tell me the rest.”

Ilya tried to keep an innocent look on her face, but it ultimately collapsed into a scowl as she muttered, “You got used to that Skill awfully fast.”

“I do know you,” he pointed out. “That helps—now, what’s the main reason you didn’t end up taking Mash’s place?”

Ilya glared at him, knowing full well that he could rival her Berserker—or her husband—when it came to stubbornness and that was before he got fused with a Heroic Spirit. They’d, according to the current history, had to design Mash from scratch because there was too much “human” in the pairing, after all; not nearly the kind of power Chaldea had hoped, nor was the Servant very combat-oriented in the first place.

She looked at the floor. “. . . I wasn’t brave enough.”

“Sorry, say that again?”

Ilya glared again—hard enough that this time, he did wince. “I WASN’T BRAVE ENOUGH! You knew that she got cured, or thought you did, but not how—even if it was true, there wasn’t any way to know that things would be the same, and I DIDN’T WANT TO DIE AGAIN!

Her vision started clouding over, hot tears filling her eyes. “And now I’ve condemned her for my own selfish goals, the same way Grandfather did to Mama and to me . . . “ Ilya laughed bitterly. “At least there’s still a reason for me to avoid her, like the story says—damn it, would it have killed you to have bought the bloody game?!”

Galen sighed. “Not enough reason at the time—not when it was the only reason I’d have to get a phone . . .” He looked up at the ceiling and closed his eyes. “We’ll find a way around it.”

Ilya raised an eyebrow. “Optimism—from you? That really is a weak fusion, isn’t it . . .?”

Now it was Galen’s turn to glare, as he retorted, “I am simply tired of sad endings—and what kind of sempai would I be, if I didn’t look after my kohai . . .?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

YEAAAAAH! GRAND ORDER GALORE!

.... does it mean that Hermione replaced of the Cute Bookworm that is Secretly Consort Yu? After all, her HP-derived form of Vampirism can be considered on the level of a TA...
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Perchè immaginiamo?, ci chiedono.
    E perchè no?, è la risposta più adatta.
    Almeno, questo è ciò che credo io.

Spoiler:

CASTER FAN, and PROUD of it!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWkillkenny84 View Post
    YEAAAAAH! GRAND ORDER GALORE!
    *Chuckles* I'm glad you like it.

.... does it mean that Hermione replaced of the Cute Bookworm that is Secretly Consort Yu? After all, her HP-derived form of Vampirism can be considered on the level of a TA...
    Why, however did you guess . . . ?

. . . Of course, if you can figure out who Galen got bonded with, I'll really be impressed.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Why, however did you guess . . . ?

. . . Of course, if you can figure out who Galen got bonded with, I'll really be impressed.

Considering the vagueness and Illya saying "Know so little, you were easy to insert as his host", I could think that Galen replaced Kirei into being Rasputin's Demi-Servant.
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Nope! And that would've been a bad idea, anyway - he'd have too tempted to suicide as a means of getting back at Rasputin for exacerbating the problems with Anastasia's family.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Nope! And that would've been a bad idea, anyway - he'd have too tempted to suicide as a means of getting back at Rasputin for exacerbating the problems with Anastasia's family.
    Well, in this case, I'm drawing a blank.
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MWkillkenny84 View Post
    Well, in this case, I'm drawing a blank.
    *Chuckles* I suppose that leaves me a surprise for another segment - or full sequel - though honestly, I'd thought I'd left enough clues (or that it would be reasonably obvious, anyway) . . . Then again, I suppose with the sheer number of Servants these days, I'd have to be pretty blunt to give it away.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

*Chuckles* I suppose that leaves me a surprise for another segment - or full sequel - though honestly, I'd thought I'd left enough clues (or that it would be reasonably obvious, anyway) . . . Then again, I suppose with the sheer number of Servants these days, I'd have to be pretty blunt to give it away.
    All you said is 'pratically useless in combat', 'less know (at the time your alter ego had heard of the game)' and 'with a great info gathering skill/socialite skill(?)'. Do you have any idea on how many GO Servants can fall under that definition? Hell, even Mata Hari can be included in the bunch!
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Spoiler:

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle hatori's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Given Galen's preference for dusters....

I give.. can you at least tell us what rarity his servant is at?
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.