Page 90 of 103 FirstFirst ... 408085888990919295100 ... LastLast
Results 1,781 to 1,800 of 2049

Thread: Trinity Angles (Discussion Thread)

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Angels are indeed a thing. That gets you slightly less direct divinity, and also makes a great callback.
    And, of course, I can ply all my D&D books for lovely racial feats/powers . . .

. . . Honestly, though - if Crimson Mages (and yes, I'm aware that it's usually translated as "demons," but again, demon-hating divinities run the world, and "mage" sounds cool and mysterious ) can be engineered for higher mana performance, surely an actual celestial bloodline can accomplish a bit more. I mean, selectively breeding with Demon Lord-killing heroes has apparently produced a 12-year-old who can literally kill dragons at a stroke!

I think it would be Galen finds Kazuma too frustrating. Galen's had 15+ years of development where he actually gets out of the single self-hating existence, and by this period, has probably had around 9 where he's actually in a long term relationship. Kazuma is a sexually unfulfilled, chronically unmotivated lecher. The first part Galen might have sympathy for. The second, from historical context, maybe (see Ron Weasley). The third, less so. Galen would be a good role model for "hey, romance is attainable", but I don't think he'd put up with Kazuma unless Kazuma really got his act together somehow (or they encounter each other rarely, and Kazuma is doing an acceptable job when they're interacting)
    Well, you're not wrong . . . Of course, Shirou's reaction to all of this will probably be smirking at Galen and various renditions of, "And now you understand what it was like to deal with you . . ."

. . . Along with, of course, smacking the kid for drooling over his wife.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    I kinda feel like Shirou doesn't have a leg to stand on there, actually. Kazuma is entirely unmotivated about his overarching quest. Galen was very motivated, though knowing exactly how much time you have before shit hits the fan is a big motivator. Galen wouldn't have noticed if a girl was carrying a neon sign saying "DATE ME YOU MORON", and would never have initiated anything (and showed great ability to talk himself out of responding). Kazuma.... uhhh. UHHHHHHH. Admittedly that moment had some extenuating circumstances, but still. Galen's big two issues, suicidal ideation especially when feeling superfluous or causing harm to others, and associated self-loathing that made it difficult to get into a relationship, aren't really issues Kazuma has. Kazuma does have the entire shut-in background, but if he has self-loathing (likely), it would probably be more extrinsic and less ingrained.

Admittedly I don't think I've ever seen precedent for Galen's reaction to specifically sexual harassment. I made the assumption that his tendency towards chivalry would mean he'd find that sort of behaviour abhorrent. Galen's feeling about being a lecher was more a function of his age, rather than behaviour, while Kazuma is a bit more... open about the entire thing (though it's probably not uncommon for his age, he just seems more mature in other areas). It's possible that Galen will just ask everyone "hey, do you want me to do something about him?" and otherwise let the girls handle it as they see fit, of course.

Also, we Aasimar now? Seems legit. I have no idea how you would work that into the setting, but they do have good support in various editions.

Blog Entries
    I kinda feel like Shirou doesn't have a leg to stand on there, actually.
    Maybe not, but it would tick Galen off - which would be reward enough in itself, for Shirou.

Kazuma is entirely unmotivated about his overarching quest. Galen was very motivated, though knowing exactly how much time you have before shit hits the fan is a big motivator.
    True - but trying to get a stubborn guy to do something he really doesn't want to . . .? There is some similarity there.

Galen wouldn't have noticed if a girl was carrying a neon sign saying "DATE ME YOU MORON",
    Noticed that? Probably. Believed that it referred to him, on the other hand . . .? No, not a chance in hell.

and would never have initiated anything (and showed great ability to talk himself out of responding). Kazuma.... uhhh. UHHHHHHH. Admittedly that moment had some extenuating circumstances, but still.
    Yeah. On the one hand, it's nice that he can be honest; and on the other . . . What Eris sees in the guy, I have no idea.

Galen's big two issues, suicidal ideation especially when feeling superfluous or causing harm to others, and associated self-loathing that made it difficult to get into a relationship, aren't really issues Kazuma has. Kazuma does have the entire shut-in background, but if he has self-loathing (likely), it would probably be more extrinsic and less ingrained.
    True.

Admittedly I don't think I've ever seen precedent for Galen's reaction to specifically sexual harassment. I made the assumption that his tendency towards chivalry would mean he'd find that sort of behaviour abhorrent.
    Oh, you are very correct.

Galen's feeling about being a lecher was more a function of his age, rather than behaviour, while Kazuma is a bit more... open about the entire thing (though it's probably not uncommon for his age, he just seems more mature in other areas).
    Agreed - and while it's admittedly realistic (compared to, say, High School DxD's Issei Hyodo), it can be annoying.

It's possible that Galen will just ask everyone "hey, do you want me to do something about him?" and otherwise let the girls handle it as they see fit, of course.
    Largely, probably. In all honesty, he'd probably have more issues with the girls' bullying behaviours (Aqua vs. Wiz, Megumin vs. Yunyun, etc.) . . . Which is not to say that Kazuma wouldn't earn a smack to the back of the head if his first "lesson" with Chris gets observed.

Also, we Aasimar now? Seems legit. I have no idea how you would work that into the setting, but they do have good support in various editions.
    Well, it is closer (sort of) to Arc's original nature - and barring the appearance of an actual elemental in Konosuba, it'll do . . .

And because of what I do have, I can tailor it, somewhat, rather than "all feathered wings, holy light, etc.," as I had to do with the Veela traits - make them a bit more individualistic.
    Last edited by Kieran; October 15th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

A Trinity of Blessings Upon a Wonderful World! 2

A Trinity of Blessings Upon a Wonderful World!

*Start*
    Continue
    Quit

Axel, Town of Beginnings
    Kingdom of Belzerg
    Date unknown

“A three-for-five exchange rate,” Takara growled. “Cheap, miserly, stupid people—I never thought I’d miss the goblins . . . I ought to flood the market, see how you like it then . . .

It had been a long time since she’d had to dust off “The Rules for Rebuilding Your Life When You’re in Another World,” but even without Occlumency, she recalled enough of them to realise what to do first: get legal tender. This was fairly easily accomplished, given that she had been at King’s Cross, with several Galleons in her pockets, and all of her gear did seem to have come with her—unfortunately, her wand seemed to have stopped working—

No, Takara corrected her thoughts. That was wrong; it was as more as though the very nature of magic had changed.

It was odd. None of her spells were working, despite there being no visible damage to her wand; Apparition failed her, as well. And yet, the expanded spaces of her coat pockets seemed to have no issues—the rose pendant hanging between her breasts was still keeping her comfortable in what now seemed to be summer heat, instead of autumn chill. And she could hear the faint thunder of Melinoë rumbling in the back of her mind; not in its typical warning sense, more of a reminder that the blade was there . . .

Which would have been strange, but she was somewhat used to the sword’s quirks by now—though whether they were a result of the usual effect wizardry had on things, or of the usual effect that Galen and Shirou had on things, Takara had never quite decided.

In any case, her sudden inability to use magic (as she knew it, anyway) only made maximising her survival advantages all the more important; to that end, she’d found a moneylender willing to pay out in local currency based on the weight and metal purity of the Galleons she had, rather than their assigned value as legal tender—at a rate of three for every five she gave him, apparently, which was irksome, to say the least. Still, for now, she had funds; now, it was time to look for a market of some form, and see if she could get an idea of their actual worth—and if that moneylender had cheated her any more badly than he had with the devaluation . . .

If he did, I’m breaking out the Philosopher’s Stone and turning this place into New El Dorado . . .

. . . Right after I find a private place to throw up—
    God, I hope this morning sickness passes soon!

Bringing a hand to her mouth, Takara made an effort of will not to vomit, focussing on the cold metal band against her lips. Once she felt she had it under control, she pulled her hand back, and stared at it—the wedding ring on her finger.

Unlike a lot of her jewellery, it wasn’t magical in and of itself; not beyond charms to prevent damage to the ring or her skin. There weren’t any fancy touches to it, aside from its actual make, given that it was a band of platinum-coated steel. Given Hermione’s issues with gold, after all, and Galen’s “known” issues with silver (at least, until they’d managed to publicly release a cure for lycanthropy), they hadn’t been able to use the more common choices in metal . . .

That, and the fact that we all loved the symbolism of the rings from that old fantasy novel that Galen talked about when he suggested it, she admitted.

Right now, though, Takara really wished the ring could tell her whether or not her spouses were alive and safe—she wanted them around to hold her hair in another few minutes, but she’d settle for that much, at least.

Please, please be OK . . .

Crimson Magic Village
    Kingdom of Belzerg
    Date unknown

“So,” Rin said slowly, “this wasn’t you.”

No, Rin,” Ilya sighed. “It wasn’t me.”

“But the only people who remember the Wizarding World stuff are people who had their memories restored before, which at least implies a level of Kaleidoscope influence . . .” the dark-haired witch—sorry, “Archwizard,” now—mused, trailing off in thought.

“With one or two crucial exceptions, Darling,” Luvia pointed out, sniffing in an offended fashion (that wasn’t entirely feigned) at being overlooked.

“If you two are about to get into another one of your legendarily house-wrecking hate-sex sessions, then leave mine, first,” Ilya said flatly.

Rin flushed crimson, and Luvia wasn’t quite fast enough in pulling out her fan to hide the pleased little smirk on her lips at the sight, nor the wicked gleam that combined both amusement and lust in her amber eyes.

Ilya would normally agree with the sentiment, even if she didn’t find it as arousing as the Edelfelt heiress did—old habits die hard, she supposed—but she was more concerned about figuring out how the HELL this had HAPPENED!

Closing her eyes and taking a deep breath, Ilya tried to focus on the positives. She and her family were still alive; her husband, their parents, their children, all of them. They had sufficient money to live comfortably, and a relatively quiet and safe place to live. And, they still had magic. True, it was the weird kind of magic that only worked in anime or video games—usually based on manga or light novels with ridiculous premises (and more often than not, terrible writing)—but they had it.

On the other hand, we live in a medieval world, in a village inhabited by wizardry-obsessed Taigas, and I have NO IDEA how or why we GOT HERE!

Her fuming was interrupted by Shirou’s appearance. “The kids are all corralled; Mom’s looking after them . . . And Dad says that after some subtle questioning of Aunt Ciel, she’s a ‘retired crusader’ of the ‘Eris Church’—does that mean anything to either of you . . .?”

He was polite enough to address it to all of them, but his eyes lingered on her. And that only made sense, really—if something weird came up, there was a good chance knowledge of it was buried somewhere in Galen’s skull; which meant, of course, that there was a copy of it sitting in her brain, too.

Ilya closed her eyes—ignoring Rin and Luvia’s thinking aloud about Greek mythology—and cast her thoughts back . . .

“. . . God damn it,” she exhaled at last. “Probably literally, since this is almost certainly Aqua’s fault—and Galen’s . . .” Ilya stopped, frowning, as she abruptly remembered that Galen was almost certainly too old to fall under Aqua’s influence, and added uncertainly, “Somehow.

Axel, Town of Beginnings
    Kingdom of Belzerg
    Date unknown

Galen sneezed abruptly, suddenly feeling that, for some reason, he ought to feel insulted.

It was an unexpected distraction from watching Hermione eat her first actually digestible meal in almost a decade—though frankly, given the near-orgasmic sounds she was making, not a necessarily unwelcome one.

Luna’s beaming countenance turned his way, her smile edging into “creepy serial killer” territory as she amusedly took in his own reaction—and even the fact that he was sure she was doing it on purpose didn’t quite take the unsettling element out of her expression.

“. . . You are taking entirely too much entertainment from my suffering,” he muttered to her.

Luna blinked—and then, with suddenly-wide eyes and an innocent tone in her voice, asked, “I thought that was what it was for . . .?

Galen stared at her for a beat, before bowing in submission. In mock-Vader tones, he proclaimed. “Your training is complete—I have taught you well.

“Some of that is more Ginny’s influence,” Luna remarked, “but point taken.” Turning to Hermione, she asked, “Are we ready to look at our ‘Adventurer Cards?’”

The older young woman (though she actually looked the same age as Luna did, which was much younger than either of them were) washed down her last bite and nodded, brushing a strand of hair back over her ear—

And then stopped, and redirected the errant lock over said ear’s newly-acquired point.

Hermione’s new species made an abstract sort of sense, Galen supposed. In keeping with the usual fantasy tropes, neither Aqua nor Eris were tolerant of the undead, so they wouldn’t have brought her over “as was”; indeed, given her dependency on British soil, it would’ve been a death sentence if they had. At the same time, Hermione had never technically died, and thus qualified as “simply” cursed—which allowed for some wiggle room in its interpretation.

Of course, the nearest thing Galen could think of with “cursed” blood was a tiefling—a being with demonic ancestry somewhere in the distant family tree (which, given the presence of succubi in the setting . . .)—and the goddesses didn’t like them, either. Elves, however, were a stated thing in KonoSuba as of the fourth light novel: “forest elves” with pointed ears, and city-dwellers who lived so long among (and presumably, bred with) humans that they had rounded ears, but were still “elves” as a race—and so were Dark Goddesses . . .

As such, Hermione’s apparent reincarnation as a dark elf was unexpected, but not theoretically unfeasible.

Is this the universe’s way of making fun of Hermione, because she’s always the outsider in terms of culture (“Muggle-born,” then “vampire,” now this), and still hates sunlight—or me, because I had a crush on Eilistraee when I played Forgotten Realms?

Regardless, it meant that Hermione was now alive again, and aside from the pointed ears and now-white hair, looked mostly like herself, if bronzer-skinned; in true anime fashion, her “dark” complexion was more of a deep tan, much like she’d had after coming back from France for their third year at Hogwarts . . .

Hermione herself glanced at him while lowering her hand from her ear and shot him a Look. It stated without words, I might not be able to read your mind any longer, but I still know how you think—and we have more important things to worry about right now!

Duly (if silently) chastened, Galen turned his attention to Luna’s original request.

Getting their Adventurer’s Cards had been relatively easy, once they’d asked for directions to the Adventurers’ Guild. Registering had been expensive, but the Guild had taken their Galleons in trade weight (being a multi-kingdom organisation, they were used to trading currencies) and both Galen and Hermione had made a habit of carrying ludicrous amounts of money on their persons. Between expanded spaces and the Fidelius Charm, the risk of theft was minimal, after all . . .

Still, actually filling out the cards had caused something of a stir; apparently, they all had remarkably high stats for beginning adventurers. Luna’s Strength, Agility, Vitality and Luck were all “above average,” and her Intelligence and Magic were even more so. Hermione’s stats were a bit higher, overall, to reflect her greater experience, but with a slightly different arrangement—apparently, being an elf cost her in Vitality and Strength, and a dark one had a penalty in Luck. But even so, her Agility and Magic benefitted from her new race; her Vitality also recouped a little bit from the “dark” aspect, reflecting their nature as survivors.

Still, if she hadn’t spent so many years getting and keeping herself in shape as a human, she might have been a great deal frailer—something they were all thankful for.

Both of them had qualified for the “Archwizard” class right off the bat—a rare feat for a single individual; Luna had then been noted to qualify as an “Archpriest,” as well, which was apparently unheard of . . . By comparison, Hermione’s having a high enough Agility to qualify for the “Thief” class was almost tame—though the receptionist had noted that her Luck wasn’t high enough to make it an exceptional choice.

Then they’d tested him; Galen had thought the receptionist was going to have a stroke.

“. . . Above average Intelligence, thank
    Eris,” she sighed. “I don’t think I could handle having three Archwizards in a r—ANOTHER EXCEPTIONAL MAGIC SCORE?! And your Luck is even higher!” Her eyes scanned the card frantically, and she wailed, “I DIDN’T EVEN KNOW VITALITY WENT THIS HIGH—AND YOU’VE GOT ENOUGH SKILL POINTS FOR TWO OR THREE LIFETIMES . . .!

“WHAT KIND OF MONSTERS ARE YOU PEOPLE?!”

He never had found out what kind of classes he was qualified for; by that point, it had seemed best to just leave and let the poor woman calm her nerves.

Aloud, however, Galen said, “It’ll probably help if we had a native walk us through it—hang on . . .”

Scanning the room, he didn’t see any of the KonoSuba characters. Sure, if Aqua was still running things, as Luna indicated, then she and Kazuma were out; however, Megumin was apparently looking for parties a while before they showed up, and she and Darkness (or better yet, Chris) were locals. Failing that, he got up and looked at the job request board—if there was somebody looking for a party . . .

He felt it just as his eyes hit the notice: the sensation of being watched with laser-like intensity. This world might not allow him access to his dire wolf form any longer, but experience with those primal instincts—to say nothing of mortal combat—still gave him the ability to aware of that kind of thing. Galen grabbed the notice from the board, and the sensation flared in his awareness. Surreptitiously, he glanced around, even as his eyes seemingly never left the page in his hand.

There. A pair of glowing crimson eyes, disturbingly focussed on him—and with a blink, he realised just what and who he was looking at.

Jackpot!

With a deep breath, Galen steeled himself and exhaled in relaxation . . . Before walking over with a smile on his face.

“Excuse me, miss—is this your party notice . . .?”

“M—Me?” Yunyun squeaked, turning as crimson as her tribal name implied. “Um . . .Well . . .You see—”

“Because my companions and I are rather new to this area, and this system of categorising things,” he said smoothly, “so we could really use some help in understanding it . . . ” He offered the girl his hand, and said, “Besides, it never hurts to make new friends.”

“F – Friends?!” she squeaked. “You want to be friends? Friends with me?

“You seem like a nice young lady, so why wouldn’t we?” he offered.

What followed was an interesting sight: Yunyun somehow managed to literally sparkle with happiness, while bawling her eyes out . . .

Takara stiffened suddenly as she straightened up, and Mirai puffed up as well, pausing from where she’d been poised to reclaim her perch across Takara’s shoulders. Witch and familiar (former or not) traded looks.

“. . . He’s done it again, hasn’t he?” she asked the cat.

Mirai huffed, her tail twitching in irritation.

“Come on,” she beckoned the black cat, which leaped into her arms without hesitation. “Let’s see if we can find out what kind of stray’s been adopted this time . . .”

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

RIP setting balance, we have infinite gold.
    Oh wait this is Konosuba, we never had setting balance.

I am very tempted to call her Lewdvia at this point. Interesting that the Kaleidostick use or other multi-universe experience preserves memories, since it means Shiki and Kiritsugu are both going to possibly have a weird time with their respective wives.

That is a very nice drawing. I almost expected some low-key food porn even if it's not usually your style. I suppose everyone effectively starting with high stats/level (assuming skill points correspond to level) makes sense, even if Konosuba's skill system doesn't seem to correspond to actual knowledge very often.

Oh no, we've picked up a stray. At least they're not entirely useless like the blue thing.

Blog Entries
    RIP setting balance, we have infinite gold.
    Oh wait this is Konosuba, we never had setting balance.
    *Cackles* True . . .

I am very tempted to call her Lewdvia at this point.
    You wouldn't necessarily be wrong - although half the reason she does is to fluster Rin.

Interesting that the Kaleidostick use or other multi-universe experience preserves memories, since it means Shiki and Kiritsugu are both going to possibly have a weird time with their respective wives.
    Possibly - I might leave theirs restricted to memories of the Wizarding World, if I deal with it at all, since their origin points aren't exactly happy (Ciel's still isn't, but there are limits to what I can believably do).

That is a very nice drawing.
    Thanks - it took a while to find it. I guess the idea of Hermione as an elf isn't a popular one, art-wise.

I almost expected some low-key food porn even if it's not usually your style.
    Neither my style nor my fetish, no.

I suppose everyone effectively starting with high stats/level (assuming skill points correspond to level) makes sense, even if Konosuba's skill system doesn't seem to correspond to actual knowledge very often.
    *Nods* KonoSuba isn't exactly detailed on this end of things; the best I could find was the fact that "skill point bonuses" were a factor for certain people (Megumin, for example) - an explanation of individual talent when widespread standardised classes are involved, I guess. But bonuses for "reincarnation" isn't unheard of in video games (and Galen's on Incarnation 4 or 5), so . . .

Oh no, we've picked up a stray. At least they're not entirely useless like the blue thing.
    Quite the contrary, in fact - and she has Fiore's English voice actress, to boot.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

A Trick and Some Treats

Outside of Devonshire
    Cornwall, England
    October 31, 2006

With a cold whirl of night wind, they appeared, scattering autumn leaves in their wake. There were five of them, on this Halloween night: the Three Little Pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, and the nameless huntsman who saved her—or, as most people knew them during daylight hours, Shirou Einzbern, with his daughters Ai, Sakura, and the twins, Chloe and Miyu.

“Daddy,” said one of the latter shyly, “I have to go.”

Shirou sighed. “Mama asked you before we left . . .”

Chloe’s blush was visible, even through the pink makeup on her face. And going by her mulish expression, it was as much petulance as embarrassment as she retorted, “Didn’t have to go then!”

Cursing the bladders of small children, daughters who had inherited his stubbornness at four years of age and wives who had the legitimate excuse of being too pregnant for the amount of walking a decent trick-or-treating haul required, Shirou sighed.

“Do any of you have to go?” he asked sternly, and Miyu shyly raised her hand.

He resisted the urge to sigh again; he should’ve have known that answer already. Even if she didn’t actually need to relieve herself, she’d have insisted on coming anyway—Miyu genuinely disliked being out of sight of her twin. And she was shy enough as it was that watching her shrink inwardly without Chloe’s presence was almost painful.

“OK, I’m going to take the twins to—Auntie Luna’s,” he decided aloud, “to use the bathroom.” He looked at his two older girls. “You two, stay right here, and wait for us to come back. Even if our other chaperone shows up while we’re gone, you wait, understand?”

“Yes, Daddy,” Ai said sweetly, and Sakura nodded determinedly.

Shirou gave it a fifty-fifty shot of actually happening. Ai might take after him in looks, but she was her mother’s daughter through and through—which included all the capacity for mischief Ilya had possessed at any point in her life when she’d looked Ai’s age. Sakura, he expected, would try to obey; she seemed bound and determined to be Daddy’s girl first, last and always—but when it came to reining in her older sister . . .

Well, she was six to Ai’s nine (and a half, his mind filled in her constant refrain of late); short of a fortunate burst of accidental magic, there wasn’t a lot Sakura could do.

It was one of the reasons he’d wanted an extra chaperone; there were four girls, and he could only be in one place at a time.

If Ilya plans to follow Molly Weasley’s example, please let this one be a boy, so she can stop . . .

Sighing resignedly, as he knew it was more a matter of his wife being just that insatiable, Shirou took the twins’ hands and said, “Close your eyes, girls” before Disapparating . . .

Ai shifted impatiently, tugging on her cape. There was candy out there, and she wasn’t getting any!

And of course it was the stupid babies’ fault—why couldn’t Mama have stopped at one sister? Sakura was the best, because she’d do what Ai told her to . . . All right, Miyu wasn’t so bad, but she usually did what Chloe said, and that brat was always trouble!

(Not her, of course—she was a perfect little princess. And princesses were supposed to be waited on and obeyed, right? Even if Mama said it wasn’t nice to use boys who were “charmed” that way . . .)

Frustrated, she pulled her hood down, smoothed her hair down, and raised it again. She wanted to trick-or-treat; where were they—?

“Well, well,” said a strange voice. “What have we here . . .?”

He was an older boy, a lot bigger than either of them, and probably heavier than both of them put together. He wasn’t dressed up, aside from a black hoodie, and he had a pillowcase, not a real trick-or-treat bag—

“Red Riding Hood and a lost little piggy,” the boy said. “Well, how’s about you two hand over all your candy, and you won’t have a really scary night . . . ?”

“We haven’t started yet!” Ai protested. “We’re waiting on Papa and the babies!”

The boy glanced around, and then smiled in a not-nice way. “Well, that’s a shame that they’re not here, isn’t it?”

He stepped forward, and Ai tensed—

All of a sudden, Sakura began singing the Three Little Pigs song, “Who’s afraid of the big bad wolf . . .?”

A tiny smile, like the kind Wednesday Addams had in the movies, appeared on her face as she continued the tune, “You’re about to be . . .

It came out of the dark like every scary monster ever—as big as the big kid, all fur and teeth, with a growl loud enough to hurt their ears and blue eyes that glowed . . .

And when it barked, her bones shook.

The big kid was running away before Ai even had time to blink, and Sakura—

“Good boy.”

Very good boy,” Ai agreed.

The big dog whined, and licked her face, even as he leaned into Sakura’s scratches.

“WOOFY!” the twins yelled, running forward to slam into him—you couldn’t do that with a regular dog, but Woofy was magic, like they were, so it was OK, he was really strong, and tough, and smart, and he could be scary enough to send the big kid running—but he’d never hurt them, Ai knew. She’d been playing with him forever, after all.

Woofy was like the biggest and best stuffed toy in the world.

Shirou shook his head. “Not ‘Woofy’ tonight, girls—tonight, he’s the Big Bad Wolf.”

“Woofy good boy!” Miyu protested.

Shirou would be more annoyed about the glare she was giving him, but given how shy Miyu usually was about everything, he couldn’t complain that she was willing to defend him; besides, it made how wary she still was of her godfather hysterical . . .

“It’s just pretend, for tonight,” he assured her. “You’re Red Riding Hood and the Three Little Pigs, so he’s the Big Bad Wolf; he’s not really bad—”

“He’s just drawn that way?” Ai asked.

“. . . We really need to talk to about the movies you’re watching when you’re at Auntie Takara’s,” Shirou muttered, trying not to glare at the almost-certain culprit.

“Either way,” he said, “we know what Woofy is really like, don’t we? So let’s go play pretend, have some fun—and get some candy!”

This pronouncement was greeted with much cheering (and an enthusiastic bark), followed by thundering little feet charging towards the nearest lit house.

Shirou looked at the sitting canid.

“I will never understand how you manage to fit that much ham under all that fur,” he said dryly.

Galen’s jaw dropped, tongue lolling out in a lupine smile.

Writer's Notes: Happy Hallowe'en, everyone! It might not (quite) qualify for my "Holidays and Hearts" series, but I hope it's still a small treat for you all.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Yessssss. So cute!
    Galen's alter-ego is actually unknown in identity to the kids, perfect. I do confess that Apparating for going to the washroom seems unwise if you aren't bringing everyone (which isn't really feasible with 4 kids), but I guess if you have another adult supervising, even if secretly, it works.

Blog Entries
    Yessssss. So cute!
    That was my hope.

Galen's alter-ego is actually unknown in identity to the kids, perfect.
    "Woofy" is a "wandering" dog who comes to visit every now and again; sometimes when they're at the Grim House, sometimes at home, and very occasionally when they visit Grammy and Grampy, or other extended family. He is most often at the Grim House, however, and Sakura and the twins usually go hunting for him the minute they arrive - he's so big they can all pet him at the same time, so he's the favourite - though when Mirai and/or Crookshanks comes looking for attention, they're happy to pet them, too.

And in the great tradition of Polkaroo, Galen just misses him whenever the girls visit.

I do confess that Apparating for going to the washroom seems unwise if you aren't bringing everyone (which isn't really feasible with 4 kids), but I guess if you have another adult supervising, even if secretly, it works.
    In honesty, their location wasn't too far from the Burrow; the only reason Shirou went to the Lovegoods is because he figured Molly would have her hands (and bathrooms) full with the grandkids already there. It should have been relatively safe to leave them, so long as they stayed there, for five or ten minutes - and if, for some reason, it wasn't . . .

Well, Woofy "plays soft" with the girls (to quote Galen's instructions on handling Mirai), but he's still a 245-lb. wolf . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity: The Wars

Nobody saw it coming, although they should have.

They had already collected most of the obvious facts involved, after all: Voldemort was fully capable of concocting and executing convoluted plans with backups and fail-safes, often taking years to reach fruition. He was also a vindictive son of a bitch, perfectly willing to destroy what he couldn’t possess—and he’d broken into the Ministry years before—to hear a prophecy, they’d thought at the time, and he’d certainly tried, but he’d also laid a Portkey enchantment as a later trap, allowing him to kidnap Neville’s grandmother long afterwards.

. . . Really, it should’ve come as no surprise that, on his way through the Department of Mysteries, he might’ve made another stop. But it hadn’t occurred to any of them, either at the time or years later—and so Voldemort’s dying curse, a final strike at his enemies, went unnoticed, until it was too late.

With the death of the Dark Lord, the Department of Mysteries ended its lockdown, returning once more to “normal” reality; and the enchantment, sensing the link to its master’s life having been severed, did as it was meant to do—and blew the veiled arch in the Room of Death to pieces.

And it took the world—or at least, a very significant part of that world—with it.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away . . .

In fan-written works crossing the settings of Harry Potter and Star Wars—at least, those where characters of the former ended up in the latter—there tended to be a bias in favour of power of magic over that of the Force. To some extent, this was understandable; “magic,” by definition, was a source of wonder, and capable of the impossible. Certainly, comparing the films themselves, wizards and witches routinely created far more visually impressive and varied effects than the Jedi or Sith’s feats of “move this object.” And whatever the speed it was done with, or the size of the object in question, that was the Force’s signature application—barring, of course, various published materials (disavowed or otherwise) which postulated far more exotic uses of what was initially described, canonically, as “an energy field created by all living things.”

Personally, Hermione found herself wishing for some of that fan-written bias, right now—or even from the formerly-canon “official” materials—as she dodged yet another green fireball.

Of all places, I had to wind up on Dathomir; is this because I so stubbornly clung to the concept of my being a witch—or because I already had ichor instead of blood?

. . . Of course, it
    could be worse: I could have been one of their “Army of the Undead”—

A suddenly-appearing blade of light caused Hermione to veer off her intended course, even as she pushed, sending the lightsaber-wielder hurtling into a tree trunk.

Inwardly, the former vampire witch—now Nightsister, apparently—scowled. This was not as easy as it looked . . .

Between her witchcraft lessons and her Occlumency training, even without the memories (and personality) trying to etch themselves into her brain, she could do several things with the Force; simple push and pull movements weren’t so different from the Hover, Summoning and Banishing Charms, after all. Likewise, shielding her mind or even splitting her concentration was child’s play—all tricks she’d learned at Hogwarts. Similarly, the “magick” of the Nightsisters wasn’t so dissimilar from her witchcraft, in ways: it used ritualistic chants, and needed a talisman to focus . . .

Unfortunately, it was playing against her reflexes as Hermione Granger: she kept having to swallow an incantation, or stop from making a movement with a wand she didn’t have—or, really, need. And along with that was the unfortunate knowledge that, however removed from Sith or Jedi teachings the Nightsister ways were, they did still tap the Dark Side . . .

And that, of course, was what had put her in this mess: when dealing with a bunch of people with empathic powers, a sudden shift in the personality of someone was not only noticeable, but concerning—and when they were naturally suspicious as well . . .

More energized ichor (the aforementioned fireballs) flew Hermione’s way, and she leaped up into the trees. Vampire and Animagus she was no longer, for better and worse, and it made her slower (both in terms of reflexes, and in the simple fact that she could tire), but she was still in potentially-Olympian condition—and the Force was no small help, either. She proved this to both herself and her pursuers through multiple leaps and gymnastic flips, treating branches like parallel bars—

Seeing several more Nightsisters abruptly appear in her path ahead Hermione was abruptly reminded of the fact that she could teleport, now. Cursing herself as an idiot, she concentrated, and vanished in a puff of mist and green sparks . . .

“Galen,” she panted, “makes that look easy . . .

It was very strange to her, being out of breath; or needing to breathe at all. Hermione honestly found it a little frightening, that she’d gotten used to being a vampire in that little time. Was a year and a half really all it took to wipe out the instincts and experience of seventeen years of humanity?

“‘Fear is the path to the Dark Side,’” Hermione reminded herself, diving into her Occlumency, to calm herself and lessen her emotional presence, even as she ignored the rest of that quote. She had no intentions of being a Jedi; much as she admired what they meant to stand for, their execution of it was . . .

Not quite Dumbledore-level, Hermione admitted, but less than ideal, even so.

Still, the reminder was useful, given how variable the slide into the Dark Side seemed to be—compared to his father, Luke had certainly shown enough anger to fall, even in his youth, yet remained himself. Tainted as she was, on the other hand, Hermione was apparently still on the “Light” side of the scale; certainly, far enough along it to send the rest of her “sisters” into a murderous, paranoid rage.

And it made her shudder to think what the rest of her friends might be going through . . .

En route to Naboo
    32 BBY

Shirou stared at the grizzled face of Liam Neeson in Jedi robes, then down at himself, and sighed.

“I have a bad feeling about this . . .”

Writer's Notes: Because "Rise of Skywalker" is out (though I've yet to see it), and writer's block (not being helped by my current schedule and the holidays) are conspiring to keep my normal writing at bay - but my readers deserve something after so long a wait . . .

. . . As interesting an exercise as this might be, though, I doubt it'd come to full fruition; I'd need to dip too far into the "Legends" canon to really make it work . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Oh interesting, Shirou is taking Obi-wan's place, at least as early as Episode 1? I feel like their ability to mess with canon from that position might be a bit high, unless they decide that letting Palpatine do his thing is better than letting everything go off the rails. I'm not sure if the new continuity implies letting Palpatine do anything is remotely helpful, actually, unless you really emphasize the stagnancy of the Republic. However, I suppose the Force also might allow Palpatine to confound their plans somewhat, given that he tends to be good at divining the future.

Of course, for all we know, there could be all sorts of weird mappings that make things different. I'm not entirely sure what you would do with Shirou as Obi-wan though... I was going to say you could make Anakin Alex, which would make that entire dynamic super weird, but then I'm not sure where you'd put Ilya (you could make her 3P0, which bizarrely feels not inappropriate, but she would probably lose her mind). I guess you could make Galen Chewbacca or something, which could be amusing. Still no idea where Takara would go, unless she's also a Nightsister.

Ohhhh, wait, you mentioned Legends, which is old EU. Suddenly that makes more sense, since you can probably work past a lot of the... issues with the newer films if they aren't canon. I'm not entirely sure how you

Blog Entries
    Oh interesting, Shirou is taking Obi-wan's place, at least as early as Episode 1?
    It wasn't my initial plan, but recalling that Obi-Wan was a redheaded blademaster/diplomatic type with a forbidden love amongst foreign nobility, how could I resist?

I feel like their ability to mess with canon from that position might be a bit high, unless they decide that letting Palpatine do his thing is better than letting everything go off the rails.
    Partially, it would be a matter of scale: they're dealing with planets amidst a galaxy this time, not one small, isolated community. Also, at this point Shirou-Wan would be still be a Jedi Knight in training, subject to the will of his Master, and ultimately, the Council - and we already know how hidebound they are. So the ability to manipulate canon might not be as easy as you think.

I'm not sure if the new continuity implies letting Palpatine do anything is remotely helpful, actually, unless you really emphasize the stagnancy of the Republic.
    Which has a great deal of truth to it, otherwise Palpatine wouldn't have been nearly as effective.

However, I suppose the Force also might allow Palpatine to confound their plans somewhat, given that he tends to be good at divining the future.
    And, just as importantly, screwing with others' ability to do so.

Of course, for all we know, there could be all sorts of weird mappings that make things different. I'm not entirely sure what you would do with Shirou as Obi-wan though... I was going to say you could make Anakin Alex, which would make that entire dynamic super weird, but then I'm not sure where you'd put Ilya (you could make her 3P0, which bizarrely feels not inappropriate, but she would probably lose her mind).
    I had in mind either another Nightsister (which makes her and Hermione related, for a change), or a Mandalorian - "Emiya" sounds like one of their clan names, after all . . .

I guess you could make Galen Chewbacca or something, which could be amusing.
    Actually, I had Neville in mind for a Wookiee, and Galen as a Shistavanen - they're the werewolf-looking creatures from the original Mos Eisley cantina scene.

Still no idea where Takara would go, unless she's also a Nightsister.
    Well, "Aozaki" doesn't quite sound Mandalorian, but it's the only thing I can come up with; I mean, given the importance of her family, I can't see making her a Jedi . . . Nabooan, maybe?

Ohhhh, wait, you mentioned Legends, which is old EU. Suddenly that makes more sense, since you can probably work past a lot of the... issues with the newer films if they aren't canon.
    Haven't seen the last one yet, so I couldn't say. But yeah, I would almost have to use EU, just to make everybody more compatible.

I'm not entirely sure how you
    . . . Eh?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

I have no idea what I was doing with that sentence, I would suspect that was an editing oversight of a way I was going to word one of those sentences, at this point.

Takara as a Mandalorian probably works, though being a person on Naboo could work. Padme's body double is pretty cool. I briefly forgot we probably need to check Neville, Ginny, and Luna as well.

I suppose since only Shirou is in a Jedi-related position, he's the only one who can really mess with trying to report Palpatine early. Coordinating would also be pretty challenging early on, since they're scattered literally all over the galaxy.

Blog Entries
    I have no idea what I was doing with that sentence, I would suspect that was an editing oversight of a way I was going to word one of those sentences, at this point.
    Fair enough. That happens to me on occasion, too.

Takara as a Mandalorian probably works,
    I think so, anyways? Equating the Mandalorians with the samurai aspects of Japanese culture seems to make sense to me, and the naming conventions aren't terribly dissimilar - I can definitely see "Emiya" (or maybe "Em'ya" ) as a clan name, for example.

The fact that they'd be outside the Republic's (and therefore, the Jedi Order's) immediate reach doesn't hurt, either.

though being a person on Naboo could work. Padme's body double is pretty cool.
    Of course she is, she's Keira Knightly . . . But yeah, I could see her playing Padme's handmaidens, now that you mention it . . .

I briefly forgot we probably need to check Neville, Ginny, and Luna as well.
    Well, if I'm going to include Hermione, I really ought to - although I suppose we could just move the Trinity themselves . . .

If it came down to it, though, I suspect Luna would be a Jedi; maybe an apprentice to the Archivist? Ginny I'm torn on, but I suspect Corellia (home of Han Solo) would make an ideal birthplace - and Neville, aside from being a Wookiee (or maybe an Ewok?) might wind up in the Jedi's AgriCorps - where they put the trainees who wash out.

I suppose since only Shirou is in a Jedi-related position, he's the only one who can really mess with trying to report Palpatine early.
    So far, anyway.

Coordinating would also be pretty challenging early on, since they're scattered literally all over the galaxy.
    Quite so - one of the challenges of the storyline, I'd think. Though again, I'm not entirely sold on the overall idea, yet.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries

Trinity: The Red

My war isn’t a war of conquest; it’s a war of extinction. Every man, woman and child, every beast, plant and artefact—every spark of magic I find, I will destroy—because magic will finally have become far more trouble than it’s worth.”

—Galen Salvatore, Trinity VI: The Blood

Unknown location
    One hundred and fifty years later

Galen awoke with a start, to the sight of blood.

His vision cleared eventually, revealing that he was staring at a sigil painted in the stuff, specifically. And there were blades—no, surgical tools—in his peripheral vision. Those were much too close, in his opinion; trying to move out of their immediate reach, however, revealed another problem: he was manacled to whatever he was lying on—

A sudden sound akin to a death rattle caught his attention, and he glanced over to see a shuffling, human form that his mind immediately identified. Inferius, zombie—no matter what culture he drew from, the walking dead shared certain distinct characteristics, and he was looking at one right now. More importantly, it was looking at him, and headed straight for the free snack . . .

An effort of will and muscle broke the chain tying down his right arm, and Galen redirected it into a backhanded blow to stagger the creature. Unfortunately, he didn’t have the leverage to really make it count, so he quickly reversed direction, grabbing the skull of his would-be killer and using every erg of mass and strength he could muster to slam it into the edge of the table he’d been bound to.

The skull was horizontally bisected with a satisfying squelch.

Knowing that Inferi tended to still be animate even after decapitation (if less focussed following near-total sensory deprivation) Galen concentrated on snapping the second chain and rolling off the table to his feet—

And stumbled onto the ground.

But any embarrassment he felt at the flop was quickly overridden by the awareness of more hungry Inferi sounds . . . And just as important given those sounds, the sight of a pistol within arm’s reach.

Training had him snatch it up and come to a standing position in a single movement; instinct and inborn talent had him firing double-tapping headshots in the space of eye-blinks, ones that put them down instantly. Only then did Galen realise the oddities in the design of his firearm, and inspect it more closely, even as part of his awareness swept the room.

Energy-based weapon—I don’t recognise the make, though it’s definitely human-designed. No sign of ammunition depletion or other obvious problems; it’ll do for now. But given that there are three of those things in here, and that it’s at least partially on fire, I’ll probably need some heavier weapons eventually.

This is some kind of medical bay, obviously; high-tech and expensive—corporate or military, I wonder? The candles around the base, like it’s some kind of
    altar, argue neither. Between the fire and the flashing red lights, I think it’s safe to say that whatever this place was meant to be, things have gone to hell . . .

There was something stirring in the back of his mind at the thought; some instinct that had fists clenching and muscles tightening, sending heat through his naked form—

Naked—right, he needed clothes.

Walking through the door of the room, pistol in hand, he saw a set of tactical armour, embedded in a stone slab, and mounted on the opposite wall. It, too, was surrounded by candles—an odd display, but it looked like it would fit, and he wasn’t in a position to be choosy.

And it was . . . Familiar . . .

As soon as Galen made contact with the chest plate, the memories began flooding back. By the time he put the helmet in place, he remembered it all.

The armour wrapped around him like a second skin, the neural linkage embracing him like a lover—appropriate, given its origins . . .

“Wretch,” he’d heard her called among them; a “nameless heretic” who’d betrayed their kind—but she’d NEVER been their kind.

[Calibration complete,] the armour informed him as it switched its displays over from the infernal tongue to English, the statement radiating a faint sense of smug satisfaction—which was, again, appropriate.

His satisfaction, on the other hand, was found when he read the words on the terminal sitting next to wear the armour had rested:

[DEMONIC INVASION IN PROGRESS]

It was time to hunt . . .

“They are rage, brutal, without mercy. But you. You will be worse. Rip and tear, until it is done.”

—DOOM (2016)

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死者 Corpse
    I didn’t know you were writing a crossover series with Trinity, that’s great stuff. I’m also surprised that you are using SW Legends in one of those, I thought I was being original with that idea.

Need to say, that your Trinity series actually kinda inspired me to view on character of Shirou through different perspective and consider potential for writing crossovers, so thanks for that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie99 View Post
    I didn’t know you were writing a crossover series with Trinity, that’s great stuff.
    I have many more ideas than I could ever have the time, energy, or skill to develop properly; that's part of why this thread exists. Another part is that other people have ideas they'd like to see that wouldn't necessarily fit in the main storyline.

And since those characters were a big part of my life (the last decade or so), I still pop in with something from time to time - but thank you for saying so.

I’m also surprised that you are using SW Legends in one of those, I thought I was being original with that idea.
    Ah - I've had that happen, too. My apologies.

Need to say, that your Trinity series actually kinda inspired me to view on character of Shirou through different perspective and consider potential for writing crossovers, so thanks for that.
    I'm honoured to hear it - I wish you luck in your own endeavours, and pass me a link so I can check it out, would you?

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drabble thread power!

Actually, there have been many crossovers in this thread, I made an index a few months back, which is linked from here. (including attempted categorization by crossover source and temporal ordering) I did like those Mass Effect ones. I haven't kept it updated, but it's only a single page back in the thread so far.

Anyways, of course Galen is Doomguy. Of course. It took me until the armour to recognize it, and I assume this is celebration of Doom Eternal. I don't really expect there's THAT much interesting to do with it, story-wise, though I guess if you twisted the setting enough, it might work.

Blog Entries
    Drabble thread power!
    *Chuckles* As I've said, I get ideas - or bored. Or both . . .

Actually, there have been many crossovers in this thread, I made an index a few months back, which is linked from here. (including attempted categorization by crossover source and temporal ordering). I haven't kept it updated, but it's only a single page back in the thread so far.
    And once again, I really appreciate that - hopefully our "newbie" does, as well.

I did like those Mass Effect ones.
    One of several options that I thought held promise. Whether it's worth realising that promise, though . . . Harder to say. I'd have to get a really large, or really personal amount of demand for something, I think; in the meantime, though, I can keep playing around and seeing what sticks.

Anyways, of course Galen is Doomguy. Of course.
    "A rage that Hell itself could not contain?" Yeah, you can understand why I thought of this, can't you?

It took me until the armour to recognize it, and I assume this is celebration of Doom Eternal.
    Largely, yes - though the idea of exploring an "alternate bad ending" also came to mind, here.

I don't really expect there's THAT much interesting to do with it, story-wise, though I guess if you twisted the setting enough, it might work.
    And I'd probably have to wait until Doom Eternal to get the background I'd need . . .

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死者 Corpse
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Ah - I've had that happen, too. My apologies.

Come on, that’s actually great news. Part of the reason why I posted on this forum is to kinda promote this idea, so as many people as possible saw the potential in this crossover.

I'm honoured to hear it - I wish you luck in your own endeavours, and pass me a link so I can check it out, would you?

Thanks, really appreciate it! But it won’t probably happen any time soon, I am only developing story and character arcs at this point. Plus, I also don’t have a lot of experience in writing, so I’m focused on short stories for now.

And once again, I really appreciate that - hopefully our "newbie" does, as well.

I am, it will make reading stories in this thread much easier, thanks a lot!