Page 11 of 133 FirstFirst ... 6910111213162161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate/Far Side

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    DAMN YOU ='(
    I am confused who are you damning itsarandomusername

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    ;_;

Now I have no excuse for procrastinamating.

...woe is me!
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    I think he's damning the fact that you necro'd the thread, making him think it was updated.
    I have nothing to live for!!!!
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Pata Hikari View Post
    I have nothing to live for!!!!
    pata hikari you have plenty to live for

The only Saber Clone that matters Ace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rajvir View Post
    pata hikari you have plenty to live for
    Yes, like the next chapter of Endless Dream!

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Less than two weeks until school is back in...so many things to do and write...

AN: Yes, unlike the other fic, I’m not releasing all options at once here. That would take triple the amount of time and you’d have to leap-frog every chapter if you’re reading a route through. Additionally, information you find out in Healing Hands will be pertinent to know in Origami Blades and Synchronized Body, the other two routes, just like playing through Fate -> UBW -> HF. Unlike the other one, I’m going to assume you’ll read each option in turn.

Yeah, once again, not much is happening early on. I know I did the same with Escaping Fate, but, well, not much action happens in Far Side Tsukihime either...

Fate/Far Side: Healing Hands
    Chapter 2
    Veiled Dreams

Though wandering the city had pretty much been like a haze of mindless distraction to me, mealtime had actually been a sort of fun, memorable event. Kohaku’s nabe dinner had been very good, and somehow Tohno-san and I ended up in this unspoken challenge of who could eat in the most polite manner, counting the times the other had to reach for a napkin and who splattered what when slurping up our respective soups.

The entire time, while Tohno-san gave cool little smiles and Kohaku blushed at the complements of food, Hisui stood off watching it all silently. And something about how she eyed everything, committing it to memory…

BGM on

Maybe it reminded me of a certain swordswoman.

The thought was enough to keep my mind wandering as I went to bed, and I continually woke up at the thought, part disturbed by the similarities and part afraid of having a repeat nightmare. I would manage maybe twenty minutes at a time, but by two in the morning I had woken up seven or eight times.

“I just…had a dream, is all.”

Sighing, I climbed out of bed and went for my bag, rifling through it until I found the book Tohsaka had given me. It was a real basic study on magic application related to Reinforcement, and sadly it was more complex than most of the things that I had ever taught myself. Apparently magi of families like Tohsaka’s studied this sort of material when they were still children.

I switched the desk lamp on and set the book down, but paused when I heard the floorboards outside my door shift faintly. Considering the last evening when Hisui had ninja’d her way into the room multiple times while I was unaware, I was doubly sure to pay attention. Not that I thought anyone was going to kill me in my sleep or anything, but considering it wasn’t my own home and didn’t have a boundary field to alert me of danger…

There was a faint knock from the door, and I shook my head. If this was danger, it certainly was polite to let me know it was coming first. “Come in.”

Hisui came through the door, a shawl the only difference to how she looked earlier. It didn’t exactly surprise me, as this mansion does get cool during the night. “Emiya-sama, you are still awake?”

“I could ask the same thing,” I put one of the few fiction books I had brought with me for entertainment over the magus journal.

“I do not sleep much,” Hisui admitted. “Are you concerned about another nightmare?”

I gave a rueful grin and turned to face her fully. It was hard to remember, but I think of the three people here, Hisui was actually the most perceptive. I don’t know if it was because she was the most quiet and listened better, or if she just noticed things better. One just always had to contend with the almost robotic way she responded to things and weigh against said perceptiveness. “Maybe a little. Checking up on me to make sure I don’t wake the rest of the house?”

Hisui nodded once, like she had been prepared for that question. “It would be improper to allow a guest to be in discomfort.”

I glanced at the clock, then shook my head. “If I’m ever having a nightmare and making noise at this hour, no need to check on me. Just clock me over the head with a large stick to wake me up.”

BGM off

“That makes very little sense. Harming you in such a way may give you a concussion, and there are less violent methods of waking people.”

Of course, I also had to remind myself, perceptiveness and the ability to use them in a social manner were separate things. She did still use keigo with me, after all. “I was trying to make a joke.”

Hisui stared at me with the same intense look; clearly, I failed to understand my audience.

“If I’m ever having a nightmare, you have full permission to do whatever you feel is necessary to quiet me or wake me up, however embarrassing or painful it may be to me,” I said. “Does that make sense?”

“Most people would not tolerate embarrassing or painful methods,” Hisui said.

Even with Saber, if I was completely straightforward, she usually relented, since she could respond with sincerity in turn.

That made it official: Hisui had Saber defeated in the stoic category. Huh.

“Still, makes it simple.” I grinned at her. “I don’t particularly want to have a nightmare or be a disturbance, so anything is alright to me. I’m not worried.”

Hisui continued to stare, and I managed to discern from it what was going on. It was a little weird, but, I felt like though she tried very hard to maintain that neutral expression, there were little tells throughout that leaked through. I couldn’t tell what, exactly, told me this, though.

BGM on

I decided to just put it out there. “If you have a question, there’s no need to hold it in. I’m the one intruding on your hospitality after all, and a stranger at that.”

Again, despite the fact that her expression did not change, there was something going on behind her eyes that said there was a stern battle between the proper maid and the inquisitive person going on. “What you have said before suggests that the nightmare you experienced was more akin to a memory. You also were saying foreign names. Have you lost somebody recently? The father you speak of?”

I shrugged. “Well, yeah, my father passed away, though that was a while back and it was under peaceful conditions.” Remembering his expression as he died, I could not help but nod to myself. The promise I made then, at least now I had the capacity to achieve it. Even if I had no clue on the direction still.

“This…Sa-ber? The name of the one you were saying in your sleep.”

“Yeah.” It occurred to me that Hisui might have been jumping to a conclusion in naming it a person that the word was associated with. On the other hand, I doubt many people said random foreign sword names in their sleep. Beside me, anyway.

“He or she passed away?”

Grinning, I could not help but reach up and touch where the pendant and keychain hung beneath my shirt. “Not exactly. It’s complicated…I guess you could say she went far away, where I’ll never see her again.”

Hisui’s eyebrows dropped, and I watched her carefully. She had given me a similar look when I had gone out for the day and it was the first obvious shift from the mask that she maintained. “I see,” she said.

“I try to focus on the positive aspects, though,” I said. I could tell this was somehow resonating with something she knew or felt and I really didn’t want to bring this all down into some kind of regretful contemplation. “Saber taught me a lot of things, and I keep them very close at all times.”

Hisui sat at the chair in front of the vanity that sat next to the door, still staring intently, though now it seemed almost like a school kid watched a teacher intently. “What kind of things?”

I could not help but snort at the immediate image that came to mind. “Well, for instance, to never tease a woman about meals or their weight.”

Now, finally, a different expression creased her face: one of stern disappointment. “That would be obvious from the start, should it not?”

Once again, because of Saber, I could draw parallels, and the vibe Hisui was sending my way must be what was comparable to Saber’s killing intent. It was quite cute since I didn’t have to actually worry for my life this time. I think. “It should, but I’ll admit to not being the brightest person in the world…”

BGM off

“I apologize for taking up so much of your time. I should leave so you may refresh yourself and prepare for breakfast.”

I blinked and then glanced to the clock, which read 7:44. My mind started to spin and I only then realized that the room had in fact lightened despite the curtains drawn over the window. “Wow, I completely lost track of the time.”

And it was true. Perhaps it was that sense that Hisui was a careful listener, or I just had a lot to get off my chest, but I hadn’t even realized we had been talking for so long. I suppose I had a rapport with Tohsaka that included long bouts of chatting, though I think that was more like one of us trying to outsmart the other.

“I’m sorry I kept you so long,” I said. “If you want I can talk to Tohno-san and ask that you be allowed to sleep in today.”

“No, that will not be necessary,” Hisui said, bowing and going for the door. “I have some repair work that must be done today.”

“Then let me help,” I said, brightening. “I’m pretty handy with a hammer or a wrench. Probably wouldn’t scare Tohno-san so much if I went for that instead of the offer to cook, actually, huh?”

Hisui sighed. “Is there anything you are not handy at, Emiya-sama?”

“My English sucks.”

“Ah.” I’m not sure if she thought I was serious or joking. “It is of no concern. I am plenty capable myself.”

BGM on

“I never thought otherwise,” I said. “But if I’m going to impose on the family here and take over one of Kohaku’s duties once in return, it’s only fair that I try and do the same for you too, right?”

Hisui sighed again. “You are our guest, Emiya-sama. You do not need to be thinking about repayment when it is very clear that Akiha-sama and nee-san like your company.”

I gave an exaggerated sigh to match hers. “I like helping. Apparently, it’s what brought me here in the first place.”

The edges of Hisui’s eyes softened, and once again I was gifted with the mask slipping away and a different emotion piercing through, though this was a little more melancholic. “Nee-san did say you just happened to help her out.”

“Yeah, though I don’t really remember it well. Actually, the image in my head of her matches you more than it matches her, to be honest.”

Hisui turned back to the door; I could see her shoulders droop marginally, though. “Yes, I am sure it does,” she said quietly. Her head came up, as if in resolve. “If it truly is because you simply like to help, then I do not mind if you wish to accompany me.”

The change in direction there made me tilt my head. I wondered what subtext it was I missed: I could clearly make out that she was thinking of something related in her head, but I could not tell what. “Yes, I would like to.”

“Then I would suggest changing into something that you do not mind getting dirty. If you are determined to work, I will give you clear tasks that must be accomplished in a timely fashion.”

Even though she was still facing away, I had to give her a grin. “Thanks, Hisui.”

She paused, clearly unsure how to respond to that, nodded, and left.

I could not help but think of my victory in convincing Saber to train me in swordfighting. Somehow, this felt just as significant.

I truly wish I could have met her before and introduced her to Saber. The two of them were completely cut from the same cloth.

Throwing my shirt off and going for my bag, I could not help but catch the reflection in the vanity across the room, and how the keychain seemed to glint with light. Perhaps it was all wrong, and Saber really had passed on—and had been reborn into this girl, this maid. That would be quite the miracle too.

A greater one than saving my life, that’s for sure.

Healing Hands: Veiled Dreams, End

Keigo is the bane of any JSL person’s existence. It is the hierarchy in which the Japanese language exists for social norms: people speak in certain ways with certain people depending on their standing with the other person in the community or family or whatnot. Hisui speaks like a traditional maid or servant in addressing everyone else in supremely elevated positions and addressing herself humbly. It is a very complicated form of speech and even the average Japanese person can have trouble with it.

TheSpy
    It's currently 3am where I am, and I am incredibly glad I stayed up this late, otherwise I may have been forced to wait for this!

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    And now this fic has more hits than Escaping Fate, though I'm only three chapters in. Not enough meido around for people?

TheSpy
    I haven't read Escaping Fate, so I can't comment on what could make this more popular...

Chasing After that Elusive Dream Heroslayer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How knows. And yeah, Keigo is tough. Is it going to be something you gloss over in your guide?

Anyways, great chapter. I wonder, is it really all that disrespectful for a guest to do what Shirou is doing? I might be basing it off something Korean, but that sounds really rude to the host to offer to do chores and such.

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    HISUIIIII-!

And dang, does Keigo have any English equivalent? Or anything close?

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
    How knows. And yeah, Keigo is tough. Is it going to be something you gloss over in your guide?
    Yeah, I'm gonna do a chapter on language stuffs.

I wonder, is it really all that disrespectful for a guest to do what Shirou is doing? I might be basing it off something Korean, but that sounds really rude to the host to offer to do chores and such.
    There's a fine line. If he were harping on it more to Akiha, I'd probably say yes, it is a little rude. On the other hand, it fits in with the polite way the Japanese go about things, and the undercurrent is that Shirou could keep offering and the hosts could keep turning it down, which fulfills both ends of social etiquette. Offering help to the maids directly, though, can really depend and in a super formal situation it would be, but with the rapport Shirou is making with them it isn't as bad. Shiki does the same thing in the Far Side routes too. Also, Shirou's need to be helpful tends to overwhelm his need for propriety, since what he does at school, even if Issei is the one asking, is kind of bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    And dang, does Keigo have any English equivalent? Or anything close?
    Not really. I mean, the ends of the Keigo spectrum might be like comparing southern American English to super formal British English, but even that doesn't really work.

Chasing After that Elusive Dream Heroslayer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There's a fine line. If he were harping on it more to Akiha, I'd probably say yes, it is a little rude. On the other hand, it fits in with the polite way the Japanese go about things, and the undercurrent is that Shirou could keep offering and the hosts could keep turning it down, which fulfills both ends of social etiquette. Offering help to the maids directly, though, can really depend and in a super formal situation it would be, but with the rapport Shirou is making with them it isn't as bad. Shiki does the same thing in the Far Side routes too. Also, Shirou's need to be helpful tends to overwhelm his need for propriety, since what he does at school, even if Issei is the one asking, is kind of bizarre.
    I was wondering more if it was rude to Hisui and Kohaku more than anything. I mean, it's their job to do these kind of things and to have a guest do them, especially a guest they just met seems a bit rude on Shirou's part. Then again as you said, Shirou is not exactly the model Japanese person and does tend to break a lot of norms.

And with Shiki isn't that a little different as he's technically a resident of the place?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroslayer View Post
    I was wondering more if it was rude to Hisui and Kohaku more than anything. I mean, it's their job to do these kind of things and to have a guest do them, especially a guest they just met seems a bit rude on Shirou's part. Then again as you said, Shirou is not exactly the model Japanese person and does tend to break a lot of norms.

And with Shiki isn't that a little different as he's technically a resident of the place?
    I would think Hisui and Kohaku would see this as a special case; it's fairly clear that Shirou isn't quite normal, since from the very beginning he has tried to help out.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by logiccosmic View Post
    I would think Hisui and Kohaku would see this as a special case; it's fairly clear that Shirou isn't quite normal, since from the very beginning he has tried to help out.
    This, pretty much. And in many ways, Shiki being a resident and Hisui/Kohaku specifically being maids to the Tohno family makes it worse, in some ways, like Akiha constantly harps on him not acting the part as the eldest Tohno and whatnot. Shirou is an odd houseguest with an unknown background and family ties.

Too, Kohaku is pretty laid-back about that sort of thing from what we see of her. It's harder probably to get past Hisui's stern sensibilities.

Blog Entries
    Too, Kohaku is pretty laid-back about that sort of thing from what we see of her.
    Yeah, she's too busy plotting the Tohnos' downfall to really care about this. :V

Anyway, good stuff. Hisui's deep.

I happen to be an expert on this topic Pata Hikari's Avatar
    Reason to live: gained.

Also, glad to see I'm not the only one to see similarities between Hisui and Saber. Of course, they're different in many ways, but they're both rather stoic, quiet people

And now this fic has more hits than Escaping Fate, though I'm only three chapters in. Not enough meido around for people?
    Well, with Escaping Fate you dumped a lot of it at once, less to talk about and speculate
    Fate/Stay Night: Life is an Endless Dream Chapter 12: Settling into place
    Tsukihime: Role Revert Part 10: Were you here the whole time?
    Fate + Tsuki: Slayer/Savior Part 1: Forge/Assassin
    Pata Hikari's Tsukihime Short stories: Lastest story: A Midnight Dreary

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just more people reading it period. My hit counter on FFN also went up a lot higher once I put even just the prologue of this up.