Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Five_X's Original Fiction, "Cool Winds"

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Another second day, another story update. Here we have the rumblings of things to come...

----------------------------

It was dark. Everything was dark. Eric felt nothing but the air tossing through his ripped clothes and his body shaking rhythmically up and down, as useless as it had ever been. His ears - he was deaf, or there was nothing there for him to hear. No nightly conversations on the street, no gunshots being volleyed back and forth with no victor, going on through the night until day forced the combatants either to turn their guises to ones a sane citizen would wear, or to retreat to their rodent holes and wait until the sun passed behind the mountains once again so that they could begin their fruitless fighting anew, and the next night more of the same. It never changed. New York, as Eric knew, was New York, now and always. It sickened him and at the same time he knew no other place where he could be as comfortable. This violent lifestyle of beasts of men and women alike had sucked him into its cycle of corruption and need like it did so many others, changing its occupants forever, making them into citizens of New York regardless of whether or not they were legally known as such. The government had so little power that a strong enough wind would topple it for any of the groups vying for power, picking apart the city into their own made up districts like carrion creatures tearing at a rich man's body, nourishing themselves on its screams for some out for their twisted violent control fantasies and others to bring order of a kind. Eric had his own subconscious leaning toward making Giorgio a new leader, but did any of these people just standing around waiting for the official power to fall truly have the merit and will to be the ever contested head of a city of millions, too many of which weren't even recognized by the city as citizens, and with all the crime and trafficking of drugs and people and every vice the most corrupt human being on the planet could name in his short life? No, Eric knew. Anarchy? What was the government, the federal power holding up the city with its invisible arms, but an institution of anarchy? Eric himself didn't know its structure, who was the president or prime minister or grand dictator? Were there television broadcasts announcing the comings and goings of the government, was there New York city propaganda buried in the flood of London pamphlets advertising the beauty of stolen freedom? Everyone fighting for power was too incompetent, and the government that there was existed only in the minds of city contractors and the tellers of myths found in corners of alleyways. What was a politician, if not a Londoner in an ironed suit offering money for support, leaving behind a trail of that sick stench of pride earned through the oppression of those deemed lower by what was called a functional government? New York was an empty hole waiting to be filled, only appearing to be occupied by shadows whose priorities were known to themselves and none else. The City of Every Vice had captured all of its visitors in its trap, sapping their strength. The only people with the will to take charge were all interested in their own profits and bloated with ignorance accumulated from decades of eating all the efforts of those who honestly tried as if they were a buffet set up in an extravagant London style. The cycle was a cruel master, but it took care of its offspring by keeping them all alive, no matter their state. It sucked the life from them and left them to contribute to the cycle still, just as Eric had become a man hiring out his skills with the slaughter of other beings on a singular or mass scale, skills that were entirely unknown to him years ago, but now were ingrained into his life like eating and sleeping, and he could easily say that he heard the fire of a pistol more than he heard his own contented breathing or himself swallowing proper food. Why didn't he just give up and die? Because the cycle kept its own alive, even if they were but husks walking the streets in the daily crowd. Eric had heard legends of people who had passed through New York's purifying cycle unchanged, and people who lived on more than two meals a day, people who managed a whole eight or even nine hours' sleep.

-- --

Eric was dropped gently on the floor of his apartment. He opened his eyes, but he could barely see. The kitchen light had been turned on, and his eyes, so used to the dark by now, were blurred by the abrupt change. He rubbed them, and then he could see the tall, gaunt figure of A.G. in the entrance hall, looking down on him.

"Eric?" He asked the man, just after returning to consciousness.

"Yeah, A.G.?" Eric coughed, then sat up slightly. "I'm guessing you brought me here from the Zephyr building?"

A.G. nodded. "Approximately fifty guards rushed into the CEO's office directly after you pushed that woman out of the window, followed by their attempted capture or execution of you. It was then that I flanked them and killed most, and retreated, carrying you to your apartment, here."

Eric shook his head. He still felt sick from being bashed over the head, and luckily not suffering a concussion didn't make that any better. Rest would do him some good, he thought, but then something else entirely struck his mind.

"Shit, A.G.!" He said, rushing to his feet. "I had two things with me, a rifle and flashdrive. Did you leave them there?" His breathing got heavy and he started feeling lightheaded.

A.G. gestured to the kitchen table just to his right. Eric sighed in relief when he saw the coiled rifle and the small black USB flashdrive sitting on the counter, no different than when he had last seen them. With a few limping steps he went over to the table and picked up the flashdrive. It was indeed undamaged, and hopefully had the data Eric had collected safely on it.

In an inverse of the last time they met, it was Eric who walked briskly behind A.G. out the apartment's door, the all important flashdrive in his coat pocket. That flashdrive was worth thousands of dollars, and he had to report back to Giorgio immediately. He checked his watch. It was already morning, though there were no clear windows to see the sun through.

"Are you sure you will not need rest?" A.G. enquired as Eric was opening the door to the outside, following him along.

Eric laughed. "Ah, no, A.G., I got enough sleep while I was passed out. I do feel like shit, though, but I've got more important thing ahead of me than getting rest. That, A.G., is a luxury, and I live without luxuries. You should know that by now!"

The man in the long coat and hat that hid his features nodded one last time, and turned away from Eric, running off down the road in the opposite direction Eric was meaning to go. 'It always seems like he has something to do, doesn't it?' Eric wondered idly to himself. With that, he shut the door to

the apartment building and headed toward the New York Bridge, all the while hoping that the roughly hour long walk to Giorgio's tower downtown would be a quick one. Today wasn't the day for running pr jogging. His legs ached too much already for that, so slow, leisurely walking it was for Eric this morning, if not every morning.

The sidewalks were bustling, busy with people of all backgrounds imaginable. There were probably a few up-and-coming hired guns in those crowds, or maybe drug runners, or any sort of person. Maybe there was one of those rare people Eric never managed to see, a person dutifully working for a business or the government. They existed, he knew, but his world never intersected with theirs except on trips to the pub and to the lobby of the mafia headquarters. New York was just that kind of place.

A car, boxy and dark, polished red, zoomed past Eric as it went along its way, honestly following the rules of the road and staying in the right hand lane, as if those laws mattered as anything more than ageing connections to the Old Earth and prosperity. It all made Eric sigh. This kind of day to day never got old and never changed. Nearly every single time he went outside would be something new on the streets. Today it was that car and its lawful driver, last week it was a man in rags selling clean water on the sidewalk. New York was just that kind of place, he thought. A place where the sickest and kindest members of society coexisted, with each side juxtaposed each day. Eric wondered at this distinction. It made him... happy, or satisfied, in some strange way.

As much as he knew about the dangers, hidden and otherwise, of the back streets and shady places of New York, Eric made the decision to take a shortcut through some alleyways in the city, heading downtown to the higher class district where there was not only less crime, but also Eric's eventual destination. The due date for his rent payment was coming up fast, so he needed his money as soon as possible. He'd do anything, just to earn more, even if it meant contracts that put his life in serious risk, like the one he finished just last night. Contracts that had a better chance of killing him than getting him paid. But, such was the life of the second most renowned hired gun in all of New York.

The buildings around the alley were mostly made of brick, the usual material, and the few concrete structures stood out sharply, newer and cleaner than the rest. Since this was the oldest part of the city, brick was everywhere.

While most back areas behind and beside downtown buildings were hidden from the light to make a nearly perpetual twilight atmosphere, today the sun shined bright up in its place in the sky. This late autumn weather was hardly indicative of coming winter, and a winter expected to be no different from the usual: cold, and windy. The sea breeze was harsh in the more extreme seasons of the year, making the weather seem completely bipolar to those who weren't used to it.

As Eric sneaked through the alleyways past fire escapes and dumpsters he always noted in case of a fight, a person darted past him, the first in these uncommonly bright back streets, right near the downtown core. He stopped and turned on his heel to get a look at whoever it was, and curiously, they did the same. Eric scoffed. The figure, with messy red hair tied back in a low ponytail, loose clothes and a boyish look, he knew it was the regular gang recruit, freshly dropped out of school and already knee deep in the true ways of the city of New York. It was almost sad seeing this kind of everyday tragedy, but the inevitability of it was nothing new to him.

The teenager took a few steps forward, beginning to close the gap between himself and Eric. His eyes looking down meekly, he asked, "Are you Eric Morris?" Eric laughed at the poor boy.

With a smile, he said, "There are probably a dozen guys named Eric Morris in this district, lad. Who's he like?"

This time the teen nodded, and returned Eric's smile with a sly one of his own. "I hear he's got the voice of a Londoner, and he wears this big grey coat that flutters behind him when he walks on the rooftops."

Eric wasn't smiling anymore. "Better question. Who are you? I'd prefer to get to know everyone who has an interest in me because at least half of them want to shoot me down when I'm not looking - and to the other half it doesn't matter if I'm looking or not."

"W-wait, so you are Eric Morris?" The teenager suddenly became shy again. Eric at that point mainly wished that the kid he was talking to would grow a pair and start talking straight to him, but he gritted his teeth and played along anyways, albeit not as nicely.

"Yes, you dumb bugger, I am Eric Morris, now what the hell do you want?" He asked, slipping his hand down into his coat to rest on his holstered pistol.

"I'm sorry!" The teenager said quickly and honestly. "I'm Mel, I don't think you know me, but well, I know you, if that... if that makes sense."

Eric sighed. "Yes, of course, I always forget people who know me, they all love me anyways!" He deadpanned to the boy. "Look, I've got to leave now, I've got more to do than chat in an alley with some average high school dropout like yourself."

Mel cocked his head, looking rather sad. If he was trying to pull Eric's heartstrings, it certainly wasn't working. Eric turned back around and strode off towards the street. "I'm leaving now." He said, not looking back.

"Can I come with you?" Mel asked in a desperate tone.

That, of all things, got Eric's attention. "Wait, what?" He said, staring blankly at Mel. "What the hell is going through your mind that made that idea?" This kid was strange, of that Eric was now more than sure.

The teenager nodded resolutely, looking more serious than Eric would have thought him capable of. But just his honest desire to follow a contract killer around wasn't enough to satisfy Eric. He had become too cynical and suspicious over the years, so even a juvenile delinquent could be hiding some dangerous kind of trouble that he really didn't want to deal with on his long awaited payday.

"Alright," Eric said, "I'll let you come with me if you tell me why you want to follow a hired gun around, and then give me a logical reason why I should let anyone, let alone you, hang around a person like me."

Mel struck a thoughtful pose, no longer holding his attention on Eric, and instead gazing to the side. "Let's see..." He began after less than a minute of thinking.

Eric shook his head and laughed, a little out of spite and a little due to the strangeness of his situation. "Wrong already, then."

"Huh?" Came the utterly confused response.

"If you had a real reason for wanting to hang around me, it'd be on the tip of your tongue ready to jump out as soon as I asked for your reason for wanting to follow me. Understand that?"

The teenager didn't show any signs of agreement or disagreement. He just sighed and avoided giving a response for a while. "You were walking around, right? Not running or anything?" He asked this in a much more straightforward tone than before.

Eric nodded. "Yes, and?"

"You're coming in through a back alley."

"Yes, one near downtown, where the crime's down compared to just about everywhere else. The mafia keeps this place locked up tight when it comes to that, you know. And then, what else?" Eric crossed his arms, expecting some kind of statement of resignation at least.

This time, though, it was Mel's turn to laugh. "When was the last time you were here? Can't have been in the past few hours, that's for sure. Downtown's gone crazy lately, what with the Zephyr building open for looting and the CEO getting killed. Not even the mafia you talked about can do anything about it. Did you expect that, Eric?"

Now Eric was just grimacing. The kid was exactly right. By all rights he should've known that there would be some fallout from what he did, some sort of response from any group, even if it was from just the government that sponsored businesses like the Zephyr Corporation. What he didn't know was how bad it would be, and that was something he'd have to see for himself. It was almost fate that the mafia headquarters was just about a block away from the Zephyr building itself. If he looked down the road from the sidewalk outside of this alley he could probably catch a glimpse of whatever was going on. He hoped it wouldn't stop him from getting paid, at the least.

"Fine, lad, it seems to me you're a little competent, eh? Or maybe you just have too much time on your hands. Tell me why you want to come with me on my action packed adventures now." Eric wasn't happy, but he had to admit that this teenager didn't seem to be from the same lot as the others he'd found in the western districts.

Mel was much quicker to answer this time, nearly interrupting Eric before he could finish his sentence. "Two heads are better than one, right? You probably need somebody to help you out sometimes, to do the dirty work and all that, to free up time for yourself." He examined Eric's face and continued, "And you don't look like the kind of guy who gets to sleep much, and I'm gonna guess that you wish you could eat more, or have better meals. I'm right, right?"

First this guy was pissing Eric off because he seemed like a witless fan or an unfortunately fated kid, but right now he was a step ahead of Eric, who couldn't think of any good retorts or really any way to dissuade Mel from his course of action.

"I don't need your help." Eric replied gruffly. He sometimes tried to seem more masculine and knowledgeable than he really was with these kinds of short, to the point answers that didn't take much thought to come up with.

"Yes you do. You really do."

Eric sighed. He had lost.

"Alright, then, I'll let you hang around with me for a while. Just don't be too much of a nuisance, if that isn't too difficult for you." Then, he mumbled to himself, "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer, right?"

A satisfied Mel ran to catch up with Eric who had already departed from the alley as soon as he had agreed to let Mel tag along with him. He didn't say a word, staying behind Eric the whole time they walked together. Eric was unnerved by the teenager's presence and always made sure to check behind himself every few moments when he trailed behind, in case anything went sour as he expected it to.

They attracted no more attention than any other two people wandering the streets of New York, passing through the crowds trying to stay confined on the sidewalks, with each person going their own way at their own speed, from the leisurely waltzing of drug users to the hurried strides of blue collar workers, none of which could afford the astronomical prices of vehicles, let alone the gas needed to run them. There were much like Eric, only slightly farther above the poverty line and probably a bit more legitimate according to the moral side of the general public.

Once they reached the sprawling lot that Giorgio owned, surrounded by a small park that was still neatly taken care of, Mel stared up in awe at the tower, rising up into the sky like nothing else around it, looking as if it could pierce the wispy clouds above. It may not have been the tallest structure in the city, but it looked to be from where Mel was standing, with smaller, mostly two-level, buildings surrounding him on both sides making a sharp contrast to the mafia headquarters.

Eric eyed Mel once again. "I'm afraid you can't come in here. I have important business that I'd rather not have you listen in on, and I don't think you're even authorized to enter the building beyond the lobby."

Mel just shrugged in response. "That's alright. I can wait down here 'til you come back, no problem. Take your time, if you need to."

A smile flitted across Eric's lips at this new compliance. It was a little refreshing, but still annoying just to have this kid hanging around. Nothing good would come of this, he knew, but he'd deal with that after he got paid. He felt as if with enough money he could do anything anytime, and to an extent that was actually true for most parts of New York, but luckily for Eric it was still second to the ability to shoot someone dead if it became a necessity for survival.

The lobby hadn't changed from his last visit. Eric gave a two finger mock-salute to the receptionists dutifully filling out paperwork at their desk, and went up the golden elevator. He was definitely glad that he wasn't fighting a madman with a knife this time. Those cuts still stung a little to the touch, even after A.G. had fixed them up. Elevators, it seemed, would never be the same, not even this one that was giving him his express ride to thousands of dollars in much needed cash.

The elevator let out its standard 'ding' when it reached the floor Giorgio's office was on, and the doors automatically opened for Eric to gracefully step through, feeling like he was walking on air from the sheer elation that, in just a few minutes, he would be a rich, rich man. He nodded at both of the elevator guards as they stepped up beside him, and with them by his sides he walked towards Giorgio's desk, where the mafia don himself was still busy at his computer, this time looking at his computer screen in abject frustration rather than his usual casual scowl.

Eric stood at loose attention. "Giorgio?" He asked cautiously. "The job is done. Is my contract payment here?"

Giorgio tossed aside the mouse in his hand with a flick of his wrist, letting it settle on an angle at the edge of his plain lack mousepad. "Ah, Eric." He said, sighing then swivelling in his chair to face his hired gun. "From the commotion, I can tell full well that you've completed the contract to a reasonable degree. The place is mostly cleaned out now, and I have the body of the CEO on ice in the sub-basement. You did a good number on him, that's for sure."

"My pay?"

Giorgio laughed in an almost mocking tone. "Your pay, yes, that's what you've come here for, isn't that right?"

"No, I came here to give you a great big hug, Giorgio." Eric scowled. "Now that I think about it, I wouldn't even do that for free."

The mafia don kicked his feet up onto his desk, revealing his shined black dress shoes and white pants with a crease down each leg so sharp they could probably be used to cut a slab of steak. "Alright then, Eric, here's your money."

He heaved a brown leather suitcase onto his desk, and one of his bodyguards opened its locks. To Eric this sight glowed like pristine, perfect gold, seeing stacks of black and white printed bills, arranged so meticulously to fit in exact rows, each stack held together with plain string, all hand tied. It was the equivalent of having a high class dinner being delivered on the legendary silver platter. It was almost too much for Eric to handle; this seemed almost unbelievable to him.

Cracking a smile, Giorgio said, "It's five thousand in all, Eric. Enjoy."

Eric's smile of wonderment fell away with that short remark. "Wait, what do you mean?" He stared at Giorgio, appalled. "Five thousand?"

"The kill was not anonymous. You were reported by a number of witnesses." Giorgio frowned as he said this, getting slightly annoyed at ow Eric was pushing the issue instead of just leaving.

Immediately Eric slipped his USB drive out of his coat pocket and presented it to Giorgio with a clever smile, thinking he had outsmarted the mafia don for once. Instead, he received the coldest glare he had ever known, lasting for just long enough to make Eric confused and more than a little afraid.

"Eric." Giorgio began, his voice low and trembling. "Eric, don't you know? Eric, those financial records are useless now! Absolutely useless!"

Eric started to mouth, "How could that be?" when he was cut off.

Giorgio nearly leaped to his feet, standing just behind his desk, looking Eric straight in the eye. "Eric, half of the fucking city has those documents now! Perhaps in your continuous string of 'accidental' failures, you didn't notice that you did not destroy evidence of your presence in the Zephyr Corporation, and it's simply unacceptable that you'd forget to at least shut down the corporation's mainframe, and at best destroy it entirely! I know you can do those things, Eric, I have records of all of your contracts here in my own computer, that I always remember to turn off at the end of the day, and that I always protect with state of the art encryption. You fancy yourself a self-taught hacker with all of your London bullshit education, but what is that really worth here? I expect efficient results, not moronic corner cutting and mistakes that even the lowliest of idiots could avoid!" He was visibly seething, his face turning red from the exertion of shouting ay Eric point-blank.

By now, though, Eric had passed the initial shock of Giorgio's tirade, and looked him over with a sneer. "Giorgio, if you really think you could've done better, then I fucking dare you to deal with dozens of armed guards, traps, and no cover. That entire place was likely built just to kill me!"

"Dare me?" Giorgio laughed, this time truly mocking him. "I'll tell you know that my troops could've stormed that place the very same night and taken it without any problems whatsoever. However, would that be silent? More than likely it wouldn't, right? Remember, you were being paid to fulfill that contract regardless of how much danger it put your life in. If you were to die, that would be nothing to me. I would find a replacement, and make use of your finished mission. I'd love to have an extra building, you know. But, the point is, you inexcusably failed in your duty to complete your contract to its exact specifications, only fulfilling the basic parameters, and actually doing worse than if you had just went ahead and shot yourself as soon as you walked in the building! You, Eric, are fucking incompetent, and I shall never hire you to work contracts for me in the future, with no exceptions." With an angry sigh, Giorgio fell back into his soft black leather chair, enjoying its comfort that so contrasted his heated rant.

Eric gazed down at his feet, shaking his head, disappointed, in both himself and Giorgio.

"Giorgio, you weren't there." He sighed. "Shit happened, and no one could have expected what went on inside that building - unless they were involved, of course."

Giorgio didn't reply. He only pointed to the elevator across from him, his expression worsening with each second that Eric spent not leaving his office. Eventually Eric relented, though, and hung his head as he retreated to the gilded elevator awaiting him.

"Don't forget your money, Eric." Giorgio said, and Eric walked back to the suitcase, closed and locked it, and carried it in one hand, continuing on his way out. The whole time, he did his best to avoid looking in Giorgio's direction, as the man bored holes in him with his cold stare.

------------------------------

Poor Eric. ;_;
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Good chapter!

Poor Eric. ;_;
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... it means something when even the author feels so bad for his character... but yes, poor Eric indeed...

But, such was the life of the second most renowned hired gun in all of New York.
    and now I wonder who is the first... uhuhuh~

and who is this Mel that come out of nowhere?...

Blog Entries
    You'll have to wait until the next update to know what's going on! Or maybe the one after that, or the one after that! Really, it takes a while for the plot to start getting in high gear, but when it gets there things start becoming more intense.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

Blog Entries
    It's that time of year again, update time! With yet another nice batch of words to read, and the plot only thickens with the introduction of (technically) two new characters! In this episode: parkour! Nice people! Bleeding! Tsunderes!

----------------------

The elevator stoically took Eric back down to the lobby. Needless to say, he wasn't feeling nearly as well as he was the last time he walked through this extravagant columned room. He felt physically ill from the regret coupled with disgust at Giorgio's way of doing things. It didn't fit with Eric's lifestyle, it never did. At the same time, though, he had a heavy heart as he walked to the mafia headquarters' front doors knowing that he would never step in there again as a friend, but he couldn't quite grasp the full implications of that. It felt so different to him; he had become so used to working with Giorgio and the mafia, getting regular contracts, that he'd grown attached to the place. Those kinds of feelings he couldn't stand, and turned his attention away from Giorgio and his contracts and the money and focused on Mel, who was diligently standing by the curb, facing the double doors that Eric eventually trudged through.

Mel walked up to Eric inquisitively. "What happened? Did you get the money, or what? You don't really look happy, Eric."

Eric grimaced. "Yes, I am certainly not happy. I currently possess five thousand dollars in this suitcase, but I have recently been fired from my relatively steady work, and I now have no obvious method to earn more money in order to sustain myself. The mafia in that building no longer welcome me as they once did, do to Giorgio's bidding, which I cannot quite understand fully despite his basic argument being sound, disregarding its flaws due to lack of information." He looked at Mel, smiling wryly now. "And you know what, Mel? Fuck them. They put me through this, now they're going to suffer just as I did. I'll run this whole place into the ground, and you're going to help me. It'd at least make you somewhat useful, just as you wanted right?"

Though he didn't know exactly what was going on besides Eric being fired, Mel agreed with him, mainly being influenced by Eric's comment on how he could be useful in his revenge scheme.

"So, how're we going to get all this cash from here to wherever you live? I mean, somebody's got to be wondering about what some guy's carrying around in his fancy suitcase, right? The gold locks really give it away." Mel took up his thinking pose again.

Eric laughed. "Giorgio's not got the best taste, does he? We could take the alleyways like I did before, or perhaps we could try our hand at hiding in plain sight right along the roads..." He, too didn't know exactly what to do. They were both easy targets for wandering gangs and enterprising thugs.

"Wait!" Eric snapped his fingers, subconsciously emphasizing the point he was about to make. "Shit, we could travel on the rooftops! I used to do that all the time, but since I've been working mostly in the subways I haven't had much practice lately. Are you up for it?"

As usual, Mel smiled and nodded. They were still on the outskirts of the downtown core, but right near the alley where the two had first met, the buildings were all mostly two to three stories tall, some taller and some shorter, but overall not too difficult to scale, especially taking into account the easy access fire escapes on most older buildings and other things that could help them get up to the flat asphalt roofs of the local buildings. Eric was excited to put this plan in motion. It was just what he needed to re-energize himself after his losses just minutes prior, and get him ready once more to do anything and everything to make sure he had steady pay.

Eric's hand gripped the black steel bars of the fire escape ladder going up the side of a building, with the other hand, holding the suitcase, held on top of a rung, supporting him. He and Mel were back in the alleyway where they had first met, and after climbing onto a dumpster behind one three level brick store, Eric had jumped toward the fire escape, hoping that he hadn't forgotten too much about running along the city roofs. His body swung from side to side as he made contact, but his handle on the sides of the ladder didn't slip. He ascended to the first platform just above the ladder, and gestured for Mel to follow his jump.

The teenager examined the distance from afar, trying to figure how the best way to make the jump. Ultimately he ran along the closed lid of the dumpster, kicked off at the very edge, and caught the ladder with both hands, one on the side and the other on a lower rung. He breathed out, exhilarated from the challenge, while Eric had made it look simple, even though Eric himself was criticizing his technique almost as soon as he had reached the ladder.

Getting to the top of the building took barely any effort for the two, just being a matter of climbing a ladder and hoisting themselves up from the highest platform. The roof was black asphalt, with a few vents on top for air conditioning. The nearest structure to the south was slightly lower than this one, making the jump easy. Eric went first, and rolled as he landed to absorb the shock of the fall. He cracked his joints once he got up. He knew the skills of freerunning, but his body wasn't used to it any more. That plus the suitcase that he wouldn't dare to drop made getting around much more difficult than he was used to.

Mel landed right beside Eric, who had to sidestep or else be knocked over by his tumbling landing that was horribly far from elegant. Eric chuckled at the teen's poor technique, but he knew he'd get better in time. In a way, it was nice to have him around, as some sort of protege to pass his skills to, though that kind of thinking made Eric feel old, and that for him was uncomfortable. No twenty-one year old should be feeling that old, he reminded himself.

Both Eric and Mel continued just as with those two buildings, jumping and climbing each one, going south of downtown. When they reached a road, they'd shimmy down the side, climbing down in between windows used as supports and grips. As long as they kept to going down the shaded sides of buildings in alleys, they wouldn't attract any special attention. Running around on the rooftops was no danger either, since in New York almost no one looked up, only eye level or below. Only in downtown was there anything in the sky to be amazed at. That is, downtown as well as Eric and Mel's latest destination, the New York bridge.

Near the river the buildings were few and far between, instead being replaced by trees, a park and smaller booth-like structures. Eric doubted that the booths could hold their weight, so once the last of the taller structures had been passed they returned to the ground, and walking about inconspicuously. Around this part of the city, there were more well-to-do people walking around, and a suitcase wasn't entirely an unusual sight. Eric looked about himself, and noted at least three other people carrying suitcases, mostly plain in design, but suitcases nonetheless. The main features that made Eric and Mel stand out were their shady looking clothes and the rich style of the leather suitcase, both things contrasting each other and making them look more suspicious than they would've hoped they'd seem. At least in Eric's experience, people wearing trench coats and faded jeans were rarely rich enough to be lugging around designer suitcases, especially not ones filled with stacks of money and locked with brightly polished gold locks.

Looming ahead as the two walked, beyond the smaller island with the victory statue, was the great red suspension bridge in all its fading glory, the pain chipping off to give it a mottled appearance of greys and reds, going on all the way across the river, which thrashed loudly below. When they stepped onto the pedestrian walkway, they heard blaring boat horns.

Eric looked up at the bridge's grand arch, both vast in its length and tall, greater than even the biggest buildings in the downtown core. The wind across the bridge itself made the ground sway just a little, putting Mel slightly off-balance as he tried to get used to crossing over this bridge in a windstorm.

"The usual winter winds!" Eric shouted to Mel. "They're here already, so the clouds should be rolling in anytime in the next week or so! That means it's probably going to rain soon!" He wasn't upset about the supposed change in weather, instead he was glad that the storms would be back. It made his work much more exciting, and at the same time more lucrative. Various underground groups roamed the streets like packs of crows when the weather was dark, since there would be less regular people walking about, allowing them to work without drawing much suspicion. For people like Eric, though, it signalled the beginning of the hunting season. He loved winter, if only for that. Dark, rainy days were favourable to him, for the most part.

Mel eyed the lone car that passed by, heading into the city. It was an older model, at least by Old Earth standards, but was still the mark of someone who was supremely wealthy, like Giorgio. In the very centre of downtown in the north, there were even a few gas stations. Since there was another, smaller bridge farther up the river, most people who could afford cars took that route to get to the residential district, to stay away from those who would attempt assassinations or simple car stealing. Few people honestly wanted a vehicle of any sort, but they were an extremely powerful commodity on the black market that thrived in the western parts of the city. Eric had seen it once: one day, when he was returning home, a white car with tinted windows drive ahead of him, driving peacefully down the road that stemmed from the great bridge, flanked by tall, ancient maple trees. The car was at best a hundred meters in front of Eric when, out of nowhere, a rocket propelled grenade detonated in the driver's side of the car, tearing a hole in the vehicle, scorching the pristine white paint, and sending the car and its two passengers careening and rolling across the road in front of Eric, stopping at the base of a tree. The screams of the explosion, of the people trapped in the vehicle, and bystanders echoed through the still air. The driver hung limply from the hole where the door used to be, one arm hooked through the broken windshield. Eric had no idea who the person was or how important they were, but he could assume that they were someone that was truly hated, or envied. That day was still vivid in his mind, and the memory recalled itself each time he walked down the road home, looking at the parts of the asphalt that had been replaced, obviously darker and more vibrant than the rest of the street around it. Even the tree still showed signs of the incident: it was curved inward slightly, and had a tall burn mark like a shadow adorning much of the side facing the street.

Today, though, there was no such excitement. There was just the glare of the sun, the foreboding clouds sweeping in from the bay, and leafless trees shuddering in the wind that fluttered through their empty branches. This chaotic street was at peace today, leaving all the major events of recent days to downtown, far away, where the Zephyr Corporation was still around, still under investigation by the more organized gangs and what the government called a police force, that was more like gangsters that were on a federal payroll.

Exploring the area with a curious gaze, Mel asked, "Is this where you live?"

Eric scoffed. "Yeah, it is. The housing is shit but it's better than living in a box in the underground. I'm a Londoner so the rent prices are inflated, but I'm not willing to leave the place I'm in right now. It'd be too much effort to move."

He pointed past a park and a parking lot at a vaguely blue building perhaps a kilometre away, barely visible beyond the trees and a few other buildings that were in the way. That was where he lived, Mel understood. Beyond its size, it looked average for this area.

-- --
    Her body tumbled through the cold night air, cutting against her as she fell helplessly to the ground. The glass had sliced her skin as she crashed through the window, and her blood fell with her in thick drops. The pavement below came ever closer. Time seemed to slow as she plummeted, it allowed her to fully recognize her predicament, and what would happen to her. She was falling head first, and the sidewalk wouldn't cushion her at all. There was no sound but the rush of air.

There were no bystanders below. The only people she knew of nearby were the guards inside the Zephyr Corporation headquarters and that one man who she came so close to killing, but her foolish hesitation caused to be caught by. He had thrown her by her leg out of the large, decorated window of the very top floor, at least two hundred feet above the ground. It was a fall that would kill nearly anyone, or at least leave them broken beyond help for the rest of their lives.

She stared into the dark at the solid wall of blackness coming up to touch her. Before she knew it, her face crunched against the sidewalk, her head snapped back, and her body crumpled into a broken, bleeding heap. She was just another corpse in the downtown core, now, adding to the massive death toll that would surely arise from the attack on the Zephyr Corporation. The last thing she heard before her consciousness fell from her were gunshots, dozens of them, from above. She didn't even try to wonder what was going on. She didn't have the time.

As her dripping, flowing blood converged into a single stream and poured forth into a drain beside the curb, there was one person who passed by, and couldn't help but notice this seemingly dead woman on the sidewalk, surrounded by bits of glass and small streams of her own blood.

He knelt beside her and shook her body. Checking her head and face he recoiled at the gruesome sight of scraped flesh and protruding bone, something he was entirely unfamiliar with. Looking quickly, side to side, he put his hand just over her mouth, to feel for any air coming out. To his relief, there was some breath, slow, laboured and warm, passing her lips. This sole bystander heaved a sigh of relief, and inspected the rest of her wounds.

A number of her bones were dislocated, she was bleeding in many places, and she was becoming colder and colder with each minute that he spent kneeling beside her. When he had realized that her situation was simply too dire to examine any more, her decided to bring her to a doctor. The lights of an operating room would be of more help than a faintly flickering street light. The New York General Hospital, located downtown, had some technology from when London had occupied the city, but not all of it had been properly maintained over the years, even by the London doctors that had been exempt from the treatment of other Londoners due to their life saving skills. However, it was only under the calm, precise hands of those doctors that this woman had any chance of surviving any longer.

The bystander picked her up and draped her over his shoulders, trying to make her at least a little comfortable. His heart was pounding and he immediately sprinted off carrying the fallen woman, knowing that she had little time left. A fall like the one she had obviously undergone was something that needed the best medical attention that was available in the city.

The hospital's red and white lights shone like a beacon in the city night, brighter than almost any other building downtown. The structure was ten stories tall, and long, with a parking lot to accommodate the usual patients, who were rich businessmen and other suffering from sickness or even attempted murder. Few people were carried in on foot, but due to the lack of an ambulance fleet it sometimes had to be done. Despite the bright lights, the hospital was a block or more from the Zephyr building, and would take longer still to navigate around. This man, a young man in his late teens, had been to the hospital perhaps once or twice in his life, and he remembered it as being filled with long hallways that all looked the same, and doors that seemed to lead anywhere but where you wanted to go. With that in mind, he entered through the hospital's front doors, into the bright lobby light.

He walked inside, panting, and fell to his knees from the weight of the woman on his shoulders. Carrying a person such a distance wasn't the sort of endeavour he had ever prepared for, but he had made it at last.

"I... this woman here, she needs a doctor!" He said to whoever may have been nearby. The reception desk was entirely empty save for a single telephone receiver, useless to him. There was no one to help him, and he didn't know where in the hospital to go. Each elevator, in a set located just ahead of the main entrance, would bring him to the upstairs levels of the hospital where patients were usually brought, but did he have to check in somewhere else first, or talk to someone to get a bed reserved? The system was entirely alien to him.

The wide main hall branched off into two smaller hallways past the elevators, but he didn't want to risk getting lost. If this were a normal case then he could kill some time doing that, but now he couldn't take any kind of risks. He had to stand by the woman's rapidly deteriorating body until something happened, be it good or bad.

After catching his breath from his burdened run to the hospital, he made sure that the woman was in a comfortable position on the ground, and whether or not her condition was getting worse. He could only hope that his fears were unfounded as he rolled her over, checking her body for blood or any wounds that had been torn open further from the rough transport.

Strangely enough, he couldn't find any wounds on her at all. Even though she had been drenched in blood all across her torso, she seemed perfectly fine on the outside. When he checked where he had been running before, just outside of the hospital doors, there were no stains from blood dripping down onto the ground. The only hints of blood anywhere other than on her body were on the tile floor of the hospital lobby, where she had been placed after riding on his shoulders. There weren't any bruises on her skin or any signs of deep scars or broken bones.

'What?' He thought, checking her arms. 'I thought I saw some bones cutting through her skin earlier...'

Overall, the woman seemed perfectly fine, only unconscious. That was a problem, as she could suddenly stop breathing, or simply not regain consciousness at all. He feared she may have a slow, silent death that he wouldn't notice until the time he had to save her had long since passed, so contrasting her violent fall and her injuries from before, near the Zephyr building.

In this light, he also noticed something odd: she wore a military-style uniform, but with no rank and no name tag, as if she were a mercenary or something. If anything, it told him that she was some kind of soldier, and perhaps that had something to do with her situation. He had heard bullets coming from the top of the Zephyr building, after all.

He felt for breathing again. Little had changed, except when he checked for a pulse there was one, albeit faint and irregular. With no doctors or help of any kind on the way, he could only hope that she would be strong enough to recover, or someone, anyone, would arrive soon. She needed serious medical attention, regardless of whether or not she had broken bones or cut leaking out blood.

The teen kept a vigil over her body lying there in the hospital lobby, deprived of a bed. He waited for any movement, but her calm demeanour, looking like a corpse, didn't change. She still felt warm to the touch, and sometimes her chest could be seem rising up and down in stuttering breaths. Why was she even alive in the first place? That thought crossed the teen's mind numerous times as he thought about what had happened, why she had fallen, and what kind of person could still live after a fall from hundreds of feet above the ground.

As he looked her over once more, he saw a black pouch or holster attached tight to her belt. It was rounded and roughly the length of his forearm, give or take a few inches. It was sticky with drying blood, and was made of some fabric like leather, only coarse and more flexible. There was a simple lock on it. It was more like a button of some kind, in fact. Naturally curious, the teen leaned over the woman's body and opened the pouch. What was inside was as black as the pouch, but with a smoother look to it, more like plastic than anything else. When he tugged at it to get it loose, it felt surprisingly heavy for its size, but slid out easily.

He wasn't familiar with the military, but he could tell that this was a gun. It had a barrel, albeit a short one, a trigger, and a magazine on top of the body of the gun along its length, made of what looked to be transparent plastic that showed that it was half empty. He didn't dare touch it any longer; it could be dangerous, or especially valuable to this woman. He didn't want her to think he tried to steal it or break it, so he just put it back in its holster and closed the lock.

About an hour passed, with the teenager standing over the woman's still unconscious body. She hadn't shown any signs of recovery, but it was still amazing that she was alive after so much time without any medical aid of any kind. The teenager checked her pulse again. It was much more orderly than before, being almost fully back in a standard heartbeat rhythm. Her breath was shallow, but it was at least there, and her skin was steadily warming up once again.

Suddenly she took in a deep breath, then another, her chest rising up and down as if she had been running a marathon. Her eyes slowly opened, revealing to her the bright ceiling lights of the hospital, and a man crouched beside her, who jumped to his feet nearly as soon as she blinked.

On the ground, she checked her surroundings. She didn't know this place. It didn't look like the Zephyr building, and it certainly wasn't anywhere outside. Stumbling at first, she rose up to stand, still disoriented from being unconscious on the floor.

"Hello?" Asked the teenager beside her in surprise. "Miss, you need to see a doctor, I'm sure one's going to be coming here soon."

She frowned. "Where exactly am I, civilian? At what location did you find me, or did someone else bring me to this place?"

Despite being slightly put off by her direct, emotionless questions, he answered her. "Oh, you're in the New York General Hospital, about a block away from the Zephyr Corporation offices. It's a mile or so down Wade, then right on Brenton, and then straight for another mile down Yale. And, uh, I found you on the sidewalk outside the Zephyr building, you looked pretty beat up, and you were covered in blood and glass. I checked and you were breathing still so I carried you here to get you treatment. Oh, bringing that up, are you hurt?"

"No, I am entirely unharmed. My mental faculties are not entirely recovered from my temporary unconsciousness and head trauma, however with an adequate dose of suppressants I shall return to a combat-ready state." She stood rigidly, almost at attention, but nonetheless in an uncomfortable looking posture. "And you report that you called an ambulance to deliver me here?"

The teen shook his head and told her politely, "No, actually I just carried you from the Zephyr building to here on my back."

The woman looked confused. "Such a feat is commendable, if suspiciously chivalrous coming from a New Yorker. Despite this, I do not require medical attention."

"Sure you do, you fell out a window!"

Her brow furrowed at his insistence. "My health is none of your concern, civilian, I shall be entirely recovered before the sun has risen."

The teenager sighed, and put his hands in his pockets. "Well fine, then. I'm Sam, by the way, and I'm happy you've gotten better now. I was worried that you might've just died on me there."

"If you wish for a form of address," She said, locking her steely gaze on him. "I am Citizen Tanya Young, ranked Agent-Sergeant Major of the London Armed Forces, seventeenth division." She started to bow, but then quickly stopped when she realized again who she was addressing.

Tanya walked off toward the front doors of the hospital, leaving Sam standing there in wonder. She didn't make it far, though, as when she tried to open the door, she could barely summon the strength in her arms to lift her hands to the door handle.

Tanya glared frustratedly at her limp arms. She managed to raise one enough to reach the door handle, and she pulled back with all the strength she had. The door swung open, and she fell to one knee, cringing in pain. Sam ran up to her, trying to help her stand, but she pushed him away lightly, effectively prodding him with her palm. When she tried to stand on her own her legs wavered, barely holding her up as she rose, resorting to leaning on the door for support, and proving to Sam that she needed his help despite her wordless insistence.

He sighed out of pity, and stood behind her, grabbing under her arms and lifting her to her feet. She could barely resist his hold.

"Tanya, let me check your temperature, please. I don't think you're healthy enough yet to be stressing yourself like this." He released his grip on her, and she merely fell weakly backwards into his arms again.

Tanya grumbled. "Address me as ma'am, civilian. I shall not not allow you permission to administer any type of treatment on me, unless you have a medical license validated by the London Federal Doctor's Association that has been issued before the date of April thirteenth, year 593 CE."

Frowning at her extensive use of foreign regulations, Sam ignored her and turned her to face him, then placed the back of his hand on her forehead, holding it there for a few seconds. Once he had removed it, he was frowning out of pity for her condition rather than annoyance.

"I'm sorry... ma'am, but you're not going to be able to walk anywhere. You've totally exhausted yourself and you're starting to overheat. I think you've gotten too stressed out, plus falling head first onto concrete hasn't made you any healthier."
    Sam started to walk away, hoping that she'd follow, but she collapsed, her eyes closed. Yet again he checked her over, and she seemed fine, save for her ragged breathing and immense fever.

He stood up from crouching down beside her, and looked down at her sadly. "Sorry, again, but I'm not going to just leave you here like this. I've got an uncle in the city, a long walk away from here, who's got a clinic. I think he can help you, if you're just straining yourself too much."

With that, he gently lifted her up and placed her across his shoulders, just like before, and left the hospital to the ink black, starless night outside, punctuated with small glowing orbs of light from the occasional street lamp. He had to get to the residential district, no matter how long it took him, or how dangerous his route may be. At least he'd save someone, do something important, for once in his life.

-------------------------------------

As always, I hope you all enjoy this update.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Good chapter.

Eric seems to start liking Mel. Mmmhh... I smell trouble from this one... coincidences don't exist...

Tanya reminds me of someone... but who?...

"Address me as ma'am, civilian. I shall not not allow you permission to administer any type of treatment on me, unless you have a medical license validated by the London Federal Doctor's Association that has been issued before the date of April thirteenth, year 593 CE."
    It may be the "there are homages in here" suggestion, but I read these lines "in saber's voice"...

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Hello updates~
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Shouldn't it be, like, "Nice people, parkour, bleeding, tsunderes!" in that order? You know, like linear cause and effect? /missingthepoint

Blog Entries
    Yes. I love me some tsunderes! There are at least two in this story that I can think of.

And lots and lots and lots of bleeding. Like, anime gallons. As if somebody had been sacrificing goats over her body for some pagan ritual kinda blood. Maybe. Though the "nice people" was really referring to Sam, since he's probably the sole nicest being in the entire universe of this story, seriously.

I'm glad people are commenting on this, too. As the schedule goes, there'll be another update... tomorrow morning!

Blog Entries
    Reading time!

---------------------------------

"Hey, look at that!" Mel pointed beside Eric to a person limply stumbling along the sidewalk on the other side of the street, his steps both weak and laboured, his back bent from carrying someone - a woman - on his back. It was a sight Eric hadn't ever seen before around this part of town, but nothing new to him.

He sighed and shook his head. "The city fucks people up, Mel. You'd best learn that now rather than later, so you don't end up rotting in some dumpster, spending every last coin you dubiously own on various drugs to selfishly escape the hell of your own life, leaving those that care about you behind, left to bury an effigy of you in the cemetery because your corpse is just too far gone." His eyes looked distant as he went on with that, staring not at the person on the other side of the street but beyond them, at what they represented to him. Mel wondered what he was thinking, behind those tired eyes, but didn't dare ask, for fear he may pry too much.

"That's a clinic, right across from here." He said, changing the mood. "I know a bit about the guy who owns it; I used to check in every couple weeks or so when I had more money. He's an alright chap, dutiful, charges a heavy price but gets his work done. He used to owe me a while back, when I took care of some delinquents, sort of like you, who were vandalizing his property and stealing his wares. Of course, now he's done a couple favors for me, so it's even. I hope he's still doing alright; I'd hate to see him get run out of the neighbourhood, the lovely place that it is." Eric laughed, in a carefree, nostalgic tone.

Mel contemplated this place, still entirely a stranger to it. He was glad that Eric had been able to show him so much in just this short time, letting just this walk home be a learning experience. Tomorrow, or perhaps the next day, they could continue on and walk farther, see greater things, for as long as their impromptu partnership lasted. Mel knew that he'd remember every second of it.

"Hey, Mel." Eric waved his hand in front of the teenager's face to get his attention as he started to turn onto the path to his apartment building's front door. "Right now you're looking too dreamy. This is New York, get your mind in the right place. You're almost acting like a Londoner, like you've come to this place of awe and wonder. Trust me, it's not like that, kid. I hope I don't have to take you all the way to Moritz' Coast to show you that much."

Mel absentmindedly nodded, still stuck in his thoughts, and followed right behind Eric as he opened the front door, which he explained as being unlocked because certain people living there would otherwise opt to knock the door down instead of finding their key. Mel absorbed this new piece of information, writing it down in his mind, and listened to each sound the building made: the creak of the old wooden stairs, the slight draft whispering between opened doorways and holes in the walls, muffled mechanical mutterings from beyond sealed rooms. Upstairs, however, was dim and quiet, except for the dull sound of a weary old fan spinning endlessly, blowing air about the stagnant place. Eric unlocked his door and opened it, checking as soon as he entered for anything suspicious, then walking in, not bothering to take off his boots, and gesturing for Mel to come in as well.

"Take a seat, do whatever you'd like, lad." Eric said without much care or emotion in his voice, then added, "Oh, but try not to mess around too much, I don't want some teenager who's supposed to be helping me out end up ruining the place."

Cheerily saying, "Sure!" Mel entered the first room, a rather bare kitchen, then turned left, went through a door, and found himself in a sort of living room, except it couldn't really be called 'living' by most standards. There was a single couch in the middle of the room, a badly broken down television set, and a wall with a sheet of plywood covering a large chunk of it. The far wall, opposite the television and to the right of the entryway, was lined with shelves and below those, cabinets and dressers. They probably weren't full of clothes, Mel assumed.

On the shelves were a couple dusty blackish boxes, with cleaner areas right around where it hinged open, in the general shape of fingers. Beside those boxes were assorted pictures, all coated with a fine grey lining of dust, with lightly rusting frames that no longer had the hopeful sheen they had when they were new. There was one of Eric posed and looking younger, holding up a dollar bill, and another still of him in the same general pose but older, brandishing a semiautomatic pistol. His expression compared to the first was a little more grave, but with hints of optimism lying at the tips of his otherwise fake looking smile.

There was one in the set, though, that interested Mel the most out of all the pictures there. It was a picture of an older man, vaguely similar to Eric in looks, wearing a clean white dress shirt and grey looking pants, equally formal. His right arm was around a teenage boy's shoulders, and they both looked perfectly happy as they were standing there. In the corner in a white space where the camera had captured an image of the ceiling behind the two was a signature, written in black, flowing ink, "D. Morris and son", and a time and place below that: 584 CE, New York.

------------------------------------------

Shortest chapter yet!

Still, this is about 25,000 words in, so good job to those who are nice enough to keep up!

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Keep your guard up, Eric.

... I think Mel might be really a Londoner, after all...

... the photos confuse me. Let's see what happens next...

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    So far, I have to say that the dynamic between Eric and Mel is starting to grow on me.

That's a good thing...I hope.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Nah, I don't trust that Mel in the slightest...

Blog Entries
    Oh, poor Mel! Untrusted by the evil Sherrinford!

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    "Poor Mel" my ass. He's not going to fool me.

*even more evilly suspicious*

Blog Entries
    Next chapter he starts getting drunk and making anti-Semetic remarks!

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Ehm, isn't that time of the week again?

Blog Entries
    Hey, I was busy all this morning and so was entirely unable to update until now.

---------------------------------

"Amber!" Came the strict, raspy voice from an adjacent room. It was another night in the mansion in the North Ridge neighbourhood of the eastern district.

"Yes, sir." Amber replied to her master, and ran with light steps to the bedroom where Director Keats, as he was called by all but his closest associates, awaited her in his bed, his patience grown thin with old age much like the strings of hair on his head. He fumbled his fingers around his nightstand, and clicked on a small lamp so that he could see the girl who had come to his call.

He coughed into his arm, which then shakily opened a drawer in the nightstand and procured a slip of paper, worn with age and with creases so old they had become dull and rounded. "Amber, I need you to write something for me." His voice was hoarse but hinted at a strong will, and Amber brought out a pencil from a pocket inside her apron, as well as her own piece of blank white paper. "I need you to write a letter addressed to Prime Minister Longraves, but to his estate, not to the governmental offices themselves, you understand?" Amber nodded. "It has been nearly nine years since our occupation of this city, nine years where nothing has been done but bureaucratic sloth. This is a disgrace, that was what you said to me before, wasn't it?" He looked to Amber from approval, and she smiled, affirming his question. "A disgrace," He continued, "That cannot continue. Civilization must be brought to this place, through order, justice, and the military might of London. But we cannot repeat our mistakes of years past. Amber, you see, we must utilize the most secretive methods we currently control, in an extended function in the city of New York."

Amber's eyes widened. "You are referring to the Agents, sir?"

The Director let out a heavy sigh. "Such is the requirement for such a protracted effort to gain control of the city. Propaganda simply does not work, yet they fail to understand that concept entirely. We need to hold Agent Tanya, who was delivered here to investigate the Zephyr Corporation, in the city, as well as Agent Fleischmann who entered the city by his own means, unauthorized by the IBHJ and myself."

"Perhaps, sir, we should order the entire IBHJ to relocate to New York, to have our Agents close to their prospective deployment zones?" Amber said this without breaking eye contact as she wrote on a small notepad kept in a smaller pocket of her apron by her chest.

"Hmm..." The Director pondered her suggestion. "Yes, actually, I believe you are right. If we did so we would have Agents O'Reilly and Kingston inside the city, as well as the IBHJ's development and deployment sectors working directly in the location where they would be most needed, giving them all the experience they need to handle an operation such as this. Given the size of the entire organization, we should need just a single building in the downtown core area."

Amber brought a finger up to her chin thoughtfully. "If it is needed, I can search through real estate databases for a proper structure that shall suit our varying needs. Are there any specifications that you need met, sir?"

Coughing again, the Director waved his hand, dismissing the idea. "No, Amber, not now, we shall discuss that in length tomorrow. We must focus on what I called you here for in the first place, to write the letter. Though with these new suggestions I may have to change exactly what the letter focuses on, I do know the general outline."

The old paper in his greying hands was folded open, covered with scrawling handwriting that showed elements of style and uniqueness through its jumbled mess. The Director was a younger man, once, but age had nearly ruined him, and this note was just one example of how far he had fallen. Amber glanced back and forth from the wrinkled note to her own paper, copying it down and adding extra elements as the Director ordered, until the page had been filled with scraps of sentences and ideas to form an entire, proper letter.

Amber turned the paper and held it close to the light so that the Director could read it. He squinted as his eyes scanned the neat, small words, a delicate translation of his own, and nodded. The letter was soon complete.

-- --

"Alright, Mel, here's what we're going to do." Eric said to the teenager patiently waiting at the kitchen table, standing up for lack of a chair. "We're going to go underground, into the city's subway system, and find one of the gang hideouts in the area. I know of at least three."

Mel followed him as he walked to the window in Eric's bedroom, and for the first time in years Eric pushed aside the blinds, then pointed across the street and to the right, beyond the trees, back on the street that rose up to the bridge. There were a number of houses he could have been pointing at, so Mel waited for his further elaboration on his plan.

"I'm not sure if you can see over there..." He gestured for Mel to move closer beside him to get a better view of the street, "...but there's one house, the reddish one, that's got a gang hideout in the basement. I'm not sure if it'll still be the one that was there last time I check, but regardless it's pretty commonly used by those types of blokes since it's hiding in plain sight, far away from the eastern district where they could operate in broad daylight. Anyhow, that same basement is connected through a tunnel somebody dug to the underground, so if we just go through the subway station and down the tracks a bit, we'll reach the hole. It's pretty visible as I recall, and there's a ladder leading up to it as well."

Mel nodded, and asked, "Uh, well, what do we get out of this? Didn't you say we were going to look for contracts to complete?"

Sighing, Eric closed the blinds and stood up. "Mel, contracts are hard to come by, to be honest. I've lost most of my old contacts, and now Giorgio hates me so I can't go to him. This five thousand I've got here is wonderful, but it's not going to last. For now, we'll have to do raids like this, and take whatever food and ammunition and whatnot that we can find."

"Doesn't that make us hardly different from them?" Mel asked, his expression turned to a frown and his tone lacking its usual chipper.

Eric shook his head sombrely. "That's the price for living in New York, lad. Morals... morals don't really exist here, not among those who manage to survive. People with ideals get left behind, stamped out by people like me who do almost anything for money. Such is life."

Quietly understanding, Mel turned away from the low window and went back to the kitchen, heading for the door. Eric went the same way, but made a stop by his closet to retrieve something that had hadn't yet shown to Mel, but knew would shock him into knowing a second level to Eric's desire to make this raid.

He placed the rifle on the round kitchen table, the thud of its impact making Mel turn around sharply. When he saw the strange gun with its greyish silver coil wrapped symmetrically around the barrel, he was in awe. It was something he had never seen before, but he knew from its appearance that it must be expensive, powerful, and one of a kind. And just as he was about to open his mouth and ask, Eric began his explanation of the device.

"From what my father taught me about mathematics and physics, I can tell that this rifle uses coiled electromagnets to accelerate a 5.56 millimetre bullet to extremely high velocities, allowing it to pass through armour of any kind and, with the correctly jacketed bullets, flatten on impact and cause massive internal and external damage to anything, even a London main battle tank." Eric smiled as he held the rifle in both hands, presenting it triumphantly. "I salvaged it from the Zephyr Corporation CEO's office on the topmost floor. I... almost thought I had lost it on the way back, but, well, I didn't, fortunately for myself."

Mel crossed his arms. "So, it was you who was behind that whole Zephyr thing I heard about, then!" Eric was silent for a while that seemed to drag on. There is some information he really should never slip out, and that tidbit certainly was one.

"Er, yes." He responded, finally. "I did all that, infiltrated the building, killed the CEO, met you, now here we are." His answer was hasty, but he was relieved Mel didn't pry further.

When they were finished talking, an anxious Eric headed out of his apartment, putting his trenchcoat back on as he rushed out the door. In his hand was a rifle, very much unlike the one he had displayed on the table, and looked worn from years of use. Mel followed suit, and kept a knife that he had chosen to use for the upcoming raid. Eric had told him that his first bout of training would come through this exercise, a true way of teaching him through experience. Despite his upbringing, Eric felt that this raid was the only way to get Mel acclimatized to the feel and the speed of combat, and at the same time this was the most basic thing he could think of to test him with, beyond simple sparring, but that lacked the life and death intensity of what they were about to try to do in the early hours of the afternoon.

To anyone walking by, they looked entirely normal. Eric's gun may have been unconcealed and conspicuous, but this was New York, and even in the relatively peaceful residential district a person carrying nearly any rifle or handgun would be looked upon with general disinterest, or at most concern amongst people who had enemies searching for them. However, today was not a day for Eric to be looking out for his adversaries, and he walked down the sidewalk with a smile, with Mel hanging in his small shadow.

The stairs to the subway station were mostly empty, with very few people who looked in any way reputable heading down to those abandoned depths. This place was foreign territory for Mel, who knew the alleys downtown but not the intricacies of the underground, Eric's sprawling second home in the city. The platform was well lit compared to others, with only a few lights broken or burnt out compared to what Eric had seen before. In addition, the sun streamed in through the two sets of stairs heading down, creating two shafts of light sloping gently upward like express lanes to heaven, but riddled with floating bits of dust that could be seen with a closer examination. Elsewhere, down the tunnels either way, was nothing but darkness interspersed with blotches of dim, hazy lights and the occasional train, heading into the station, horn blaring, and accepting all of the passengers who came. There were none.

When the train passed and its lights had faded down the tunnel, Eric led Mel in the opposite direction, seeking out an always open hole in the subway only marked by a beam of light coming down from the basement room above, a light that was only alive when gangs were active in the hideout. Today, it could be seen from a straight half kilometre away.

"Alright, Mel." Eric whispered, setting himself on the other side of the dangling rope ladder that led up into the hole. "I am going to go up first, then you need to follow me immediately. This is a tight place, so in close quarters I'm going to need you to give me backup, okay?"

Mel held up his knife. "Yes!" He said lightly, ready to follow Eric's order as soon as he could, and rush up the ladder to help. The idea of a fight excited him.

Eric held his rifle in one hand, and gripped a rung of the ladder with the other, then leaped up and brought both of his feet up onto a single rung, and from there climbed, a look of determination on his face. He finally felt independent again, free from the strict contracts that Giorgio forced upon him, regardless of their relevance to Eric himself. He did those jobs, and was paid, without anything further. With this kind of lifestyle of raiding gang supply outposts like this one, he knew he could be more successful. In fact, it was probably the stress of Giorgio's mafia contracts that made Eric perform so poorly. On his own schedule, he could operate at one-hundred percent efficiency, and still make a living for himself.

He hoisted his entire body out of the hole into the basement room, where a group of gangsters were sitting at a table, some playing cards, some maintaining their weapons. They didn't expect Eric's arrival, but they reacted to him immediately.

Tossing the rifle toward the group, Eric pulled out his handgun and fired ahead as he ducked behind a metal filing cabinet. He pushed against it, testing its weight, and it would barely move, even though it had small wheels on its base. Bullets whizzed past him into the wall behind the hole, and Eric fired more shots, blind, until his twelve round magazine was empty, and he replaced it with another one. After that volley, there were less bullets flying at him, but still they came.

There was a pause, as the gangsters had to reload at nearly the same time, and Eric used that window to shoot one of them in the chest twice, and another directly in the head. These people were completely inexperienced compared to him.

Some of the survivors circled around to get a better shot at Eric, at it was then that Mel jumped out of the hole in the floor. He had obviously been watching the fight as it progressed, and watched for a time to strike. He ran at the gangsters who had left the main group, and cut at their exposed arms, then using the distraction that the sharp pain caused them to plunge his knife into both of them successively, while Eric covered him with shots at the other group, who had flipped over their table to use it as cover. Eric noted that one had picked up the rifle he had dropped aside in the beginning of the firefight, and was aiming it towards Mel, who hadn't yet taken cover. Eric smiled as he showed himself, much to the gangsters confusion. Then, the rifle exploded. The man had pulled the trigger, not knowing that the weapon had been discarded intentionally by Eric, who coated the chamber with extra gunpowder and loaded a single bullet into the clip. His plan worked exactly as he had wanted it to: the victim of the trap fell back in shock, his face splintered with wood that once made up the body of the rifle, and his shot went way off. Mel was perfectly safe and made a good distraction for Eric to resume firing on the few people left taking shelter behind their thin, hole filled table.

Eric rolled out of cover to the side of the table facing him, and, coordinating with Mel, the last remaining gangsters, drug dealers, smugglers - whatever they may have actually been - were lying dead on the floor. Eric nodded towards the hole in the back of the basement room and Mel understood, lugging the bodies over and dropping them down into the subway tunnel. Someone may find them eventually, and that could be a good warning to avoid climbing up the ladder hanging carelessly there.

Besides the ammunition that the two looted off of the bodies, there was a safe in the corner of the room, as well as the filing cabinet that Eric had hidden behind before. In that were a few bills, some solid London coins, and yet more ammunition, luckily in the caliber that Eric needed for his new rifle sitting back at home. All in all, he decided that this little raid worked out pretty fine for him.

"You put me in a lot of danger, you know, Eric." Mel mumbled, only getting some money because he didn't have any guns to use the bullets in, besides the poor quality ones the gangsters were using, which were all the way back on their bodies, down on the subway train tracks. The rifle, which had been flung off in some direction by the small explosion, was totally useless and broken, even more so than it was before being turned into a trap.

Eric shrugged at Mel's complaint. "Hey, it's necessary. I had a plan, and you were part of it. In my plans for situations like this, there are two parts: the active half, and the passive half. The active half is the person who pushes forward with the plan itself, does all the technical stuff, and is generally the leader. The passive half follows some general orders, and allows for the active person's plan to be followed through, building up a framework that the active person, who knows the objectives and how to achieve them best, can utilize for mid-battle improvisation. Understand?" Mel just frowned, and check drawers and boxes for anything he needed or could use.

"Now, let's check that safe, shall we?" Eric was already moving ahead with his share of the scavenging.

He pressed his ear to the dirty grey object, a dull, blank cube sitting in the shadows, looking very much like any ordinary safe. Safe-cracking, as well, was nothing at all new to Eric. He hadn't done it lately due to his most recent contracts' reliance on more high-tech areas and buildings, but it was something he hadn't yet forgotten. He took in a deep breath, and began fiddling with the safe's lock to find the combination. With his trained hearing, the lock was disengaged promptly, surprising Mel, even though Eric had shown before that he had a wide array of skills his lifestyle required him to adopt over the years.

The lid of the safe was heavy and shut tight, but opened with a rough pull, with Eric's fingers coming loose afterwards, and the safe lid opening autonomously by virtue of its sheer weight.

Both Eric and Mel peered in, and inside they found... food. Food, money, and some cases of bullets, most of which were shotgun shells that Eric couldn't even use. At least the food, sealed in once-shiny cans, still looked edible. The money amounted to one hundred dollars at best, not including the London currency that very few businesses besides the ones in the Eastern district smuggling rings would accept. Other than that disappointing haul, there was a long, sharp knife inside, angled diagonally in the safe, reaching form one corner almost to the other on the opposite side, making it just over a foot in length.

"Hmm..." Eric looked over all they had found, spread out on the now-righted table. He was mostly unimpressed, but beside him Mel looked fascinated by the knife, placed carelessly with the wrinkled bank notes and tin cans, despite the violent beauty it showed, glistening in the sunlight flowing through a thin window above, not deserving to be set in such low company.

Eric glanced over at Mel, and noticed the near trance he was in, looking at the knife. "You alright, lad? You can have that knife, if you'd like. I've got at least a dozen more back in the apartment, so it's no loss to me."

With a feeling he could only describe as a sort of veneration for the object, Mel cast aside his own weapon and picked out this new knife from the pile with both hands. The blade was light, with a comfortable handle. It was long and its tough construction made it seem almost like a dagger, but it had the single sharp edge of a knife. Mel, curious, ran his finger along the blade to the tip, but recoiled almost immediately in acute pain. A swelling sphere of red flowed up onto his fingertip from where it had brushed the knife, and Mel sucked his finger. The cut was small, but deeper than he had expected it to be. When he realized that he had nowhere to put his knife, he checked around the table, looking for any kind of sheath or holster. There was one, right near where the knife had been tossed initially, made of peeling light brown leather that formed a sharp contrast with the stainless steel perfection of the knife itself. There was a faded design of some kind along the seams of the sheath, nothing complex, much like the blank maple hilt of the knife, beautiful in its simplicity. Mel gently slid the knife into the sheath, which was resting on his belt, held tight, as Mel made sure that it would not fall off. He wouldn't dare lose something that had value like this. It probably wouldn't earn him enough for a cheap meal if he sold it, but it had an emotional attachment to it, a memory.

"Ah, Eric!" Mel asked suddenly, breaking the quiet, introspective atmosphere.

"Yes?"

Checking Eric's wrist for a watch of some kind, he asked, "Do you know what time it is? I've gotta get back home soon, I think." Eric was slightly taken aback by his urgency, but answered coolly.

"I saw a clock up the staircase just over there. Says it's around one o'clock, though it could be slow. I doubt this place gets much maintenance." Mel didn't look satisfied with Eric's answer. "Well, if that's not enough, we left my apartment at eleven fifty-six and that subway station was a decent ways away from there, so we've been out for an hour and a half, give or take another thirty minutes."

With a hasty nod Mel left, taking nothing but the knife, departing down the hole and through the tunnel of the underground. He looked to be in a serious hurry, Eric thought, then yelled, "Hey, be careful, Mel!" As much of a load the teenager seemed to be at times, Eric wasn't such a sociopath to wish serious harm to come to him. He had planned on at least escorting him to the surface, but that was out of the question by the time Eric had thought of it.

"Hmph. Never knew the kid had a family. They'd better be good to him." Eric kept his thoughts upbeat and optimistic, not wanting to sink into another depression, like before. His life had been filled with enough hardships, and try as he might, he could never forget a single one of them. Mel's leaving was rather fortuitous for him, since one of those hardships had stung him hardest recently, and the thought of family brought it back to the surface. He had someone to visit, before the day was out.

------------------------------

So, there it is. A bigger chapter than last time, and certainly an eventful one. The next, though, will be pretty depressing.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Read the update. Nice team-work going on there.

Blog Entries
    Thanks! I'm kind of surprised Sherrinford hasn't posted yet...

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Amber!... I just hope her relationship with Director Keats doesn't develop like the one with Makihisa...

The next, though, will be pretty depressing.
    Damn.

I'm kind of surprised Sherrinford hasn't posted yet...
    Hey, if you update so late at night (for my time zone), at least give me some time. =3=

(no seriously, I think my next posts will be all around this time. It's easier to read after a good night of sleep)

Hey, I was busy all this morning and so was entirely unable to update until now.
    *glare of disappointment*

Mel has curfew? Oh, there's no way I'm going to trust this guy...