Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102107110111112113114117122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

マリーの味方
    Finished the King of Thorns. I can't say I liked the back-and-forth format between past and present. It was more annoying than anything, especially with all the detours in the roadtrip. Overall while the setting is pretty neat, I can't help but feel the characters are lacking.

Spoiler:
    Jorg's obsession with Katherine never made much sense. I get that he was pretty young, but in the first book he spent like an hour with her before everything went to hell, and all they fucking did was talk in a hallway and eat some food. There was just nothing there. In many ways the obsession reminds me of Kvothe and Denna from Kingkiller, but that I could at least understand.

Similarly, Jorg and Coddin. Suddenly in King of Thorns I'm to believe they have a great relationship, like father and son. What? I get four years have passed but Coddin was barely even a character. I couldn't feel a single thing during the scene where he gets injured.

And then there's Jorg's madness. This felt like a cheap way to manipulate the narrative by introducing the box than anything else. Jorg being sad that he accidentally killed his brother I could buy, him going batshit I couldn't.

In general most of, if not all, the characters just feel flat. It's still fun though. Miana was cute.

Blog Entries
    I finished Slaughterhouse Five recently. Should have started reading Vonnegut years ago.

I also just started A Canticle for Leibowitz. The writing style isn't exactly gripping, but I like the premise of post-apocalyptic missionaries enough to keep going.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Read the Prince of Thorns. The protagonist is a total gary stu edgelord, but it wasn't terrible.
    I read Red Sister recently by the guy who did the Prince of Thorns, I laughed Prince of Thorns right off my Kindle in about teo chapters, but Red Sister hit a nice spot.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Just finished the Idiot by Elif Batuman. Interesting narrative voice, but I think the book overstayed its welcome and I wasn't crazy about the ending. But then I get what the author was going for, so I can't critique either of those elements without missing the point.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Count of Monte Cristo.

Actually picked up the audiobook when the NA Prison Tower event came out, but haven't had the time to go through it fully.

dear god this man rambles

i did not know it was possible to ramble like this

why didn't his editor slap him out of it
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Like many 19th century novels, it was originally published in serial, so some of the rambling is quite possibly attributable to wanting to pad the number of installments.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    naru hodo
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

マリーの味方
    Finished Emperor of Thorns. Overall the books were a bit silly, but it was fun. The climax was really hype even if the final showdown was cliché. I don't regret reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesto View Post
    Finished Emperor of Thorns. Overall the books were a bit silly, but it was fun. The climax was really hype even if the final showdown was cliché. I don't regret reading it.
    Thought about reading these but the protagonist sounded a bit insufferable. How much edge are we dealing with?

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    Thought about reading these but the protagonist sounded a bit insufferable. How much edge are we dealing with?
    First book, an insane amount of edge. It's also the peak of his gary stuness as he's young and without a lot power, except apparently with enough edge you can bend the plot to your will anyway.
    Second book, the edge is a bit dulled. He still pulls stuff out of his ass but he's not a total cunt like he is in the first.
    Third book, he's basically just a pragmatic dickhead. He does become a bit likeable in certain areas but at the end of the day he's still a dick.

Overall I'd say it's worth checking out. The worldbuilding is cool. It's not the greatest series but it's still enjoyable.

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know this isn't a book recommendation, but what are some of the least favored/worst books you guys have ever read?

This serves as a future warning for me to probably stay away from them.
    Last edited by SleepMode; March 31st, 2018 at 12:29 AM.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    the martian

ok, probably that's less objectively worse than mistakenly rated
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Dan Simmons - Song of Kali. Really just appalling on every level.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The Dinosaur Lords, definitely.

Blog Entries
    Ernest Cline's Armada
    Increasingly arcane video game references+boring characters I can't seem to care about (the less said about the MC, the better)+fanfic tier prose=a not very pleasant reading experience.

I remember hating a book called the IX ages ago.

Terrible writing and hilarious bad history

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by 4score7years View Post
    I remember hating a book called the IX ages ago.

Terrible writing and hilarious bad history
    I think I read that a while ago. Romans + 'murican cavalry + modern special ops guys team up to fight superdinosaur aliens throughout time or somesuch.

It was... vaguely entertaining not-much. Nothing special, nothing hilariously bad, the sort of thing you could expect from a mediocre Hollywood writer.

Maybe it's a me-thing, but personally, I'll just advise against reading anything you've seen called a classic, or generally lauded, with any real expectations in mind.

So many times, I've picked up what people have hyped up, and been so disappointed- Shakespeare for the writing, Tolkien for the fantasy, a bunch of works from ye olde whatevere. I liked the Martian, I thought Ready Player One would've been a good read if you'd cut out the entire first half of the book, the stupid MMO aspect and the constant 80s references from what I can only assume is someone who is literally the character he was writing- an 80's-obsessed hyper-ultra-mega-nerd who refuses to consume anything if it isn't from that era- but if I'd seen the popularity before I'd picked them up, I think they'd have been disappointing too.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    So many times, I've picked up what people have hyped up, and been so disappointed- Shakespeare for the writing

Lev Grossman's The Magicians was insufferable in a sense that the MC is an incel loser PoS and the story builds up to be his wish-fulfillment journey so I gave up one quarter in.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Lev Grossman's The Magicians was insufferable in a sense that the MC is an incel loser PoS and the story builds up to be his wish-fulfillment journey so I gave up one quarter in.
    From what I've heard the series does try to critique the wish-fulfillment aspect later on. Ymmv how effectively this is done, obviously.