Page 53 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3434851525354555863103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

Blog Entries
    Exactly, it's nice and tranquil.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ...That painful truth..

Has anyone read the Gregor the Overlander book series?
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by @Leo View Post
    Exactly, it's nice and tranquil.
    I hope you all get colonised by the Chinese
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    I hope you all get colonised by the Chinese
    It's already me though.
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Touche, you bastard.

Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )

Blog Entries
    Well alright, I need to pay for a bunch of off-topic shooting somehow, so. Finished a few days ago Aurora by my usual favorite science fiction guy Kim Stanley Robinson. Sort of a weird book, and I'm not even sure I can talk about it much without needing to talk about it visavis his previous work. It's interesting in this sense against his other work and against a lot of other popular scifi by being extremely pessimistic about space travel - the plot is essentially structured around the social and technological failures of a generation ship. Would generally recommend since KSR keeps up his ability to write heartbreakingly beautiful scenes around landscapes, but it's a bit hard to make sense of, especially how the protagonist/POV is structured.

I just finished the Picture of Dorian Gray.

Interesting book but I was surprised that the set up to his life of debauchery was longer the amount of time the books spends on his debauchery. It's all off-screen or implied which in hindsight makes sense. Victorian times and all .

Oscar Wilde should've made a short story on Lord Wooton though.

Blog Entries
    I'm rereading 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail A. Bulgakov because it's been ages since I originally read it and I'm into some occult mindfuckery anyway.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I started "So fucking what", aka the russian thing Leo reccomended.

Jesus christ this is amazing what have I gotten myself into.

Blog Entries
    I'm rereading 'The Master and Margarita' by Mikhail A. Bulgakov because it's been ages since I originally read it and I'm into some occult mindfuckery anyway.
    I thought you had a bone to pick with the Jesus people!

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    I'm rereading Catch-22 but it could be the first time, because apparently I remembered fuck-all about it.
    good job

Quote Originally Posted by Christemo View Post
    I started "So fucking what", aka the russian thing Leo reccomended.

Jesus christ this is amazing what have I gotten myself into.
    good job

Blog Entries
    I thought you had a bone to pick with the Jesus people!
    Listen pal just because I'm a soulless, hopeless, godless wreck of a heathen with a burning hatred of religion doesn't mean I can't appreciate Buglakov.

Also is there any way to read the "So fucking what" thing without having to pay exorbitant shipping fees?

Blog Entries
    Listen pal just because I'm a soulless, hopeless, godless wreck of a heathen with a burning hatred of religion doesn't mean I can't appreciate Buglakov.
    I mean, I understand how you can read M&M without thinking about religion, I've done it, but you need to ignore the entire 4 chapters plus the implications of the entire ball business and so it's a somewhat difficult task.

Also is there any way to read the "So fucking what" thing without having to pay exorbitant shipping fees?
    I read it on Kindle, so obviously rip shipping. Is it not licensed for your market?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I downloaded Kindle to avoid shipping

Blog Entries
    I mean, I understand how you can read M&M without thinking about religion, I've done it, but you need to ignore the entire 4 chapters plus the implications of the entire ball business and so it's a somewhat difficult task.
    As far as I'm concerned it's all just entertaining occultism and folklore interspersed with some philosophy, with which I don't necessarily have to agree and can still enjoy the folklore and charade.

I mean I like 'Crime and Punishment' for heaven's sake.

I read it on Kindle, so obviously rip shipping. Is it not licensed for your market?
    You do realise that I'm still living in a shithole, right? Obscure Russian fantasy literature can usually only be obtained through importing.

I mean there is a slight, very slight possibility that it's been licensed here but I dunno...

Blog Entries
    TBH I'm not sure how AMZN global licensing works, they might just require it to be available in all regions since I don't think I've ever heard of region locking on Kindle before? And even if there is I would be perfectly happy gifting it to get around that.

Blog Entries
    TBH I'm not sure how AMZN global licensing works, they might just require it to be available in all regions since I don't think I've ever heard of region locking on Kindle before? And even if there is I would be perfectly happy gifting it to get around that.
    Nevermind I just ordered a used paperback on Amazon for 1 cent. I mean there's still 16$ worth of shipping but at this point it's go big or go home I guess.

And if it's as Bulgakov-mindfuckery as you implied in one of your earlier posts then I might even be able to stomach the hetero sex that was mentioned.
    Last edited by Polly; July 12th, 2015 at 06:49 PM.

Words to live by

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Amazon Japan does restrict Kindle book licenses. I just get around this by logging into my Japanese account via Japanese VPN.

To actually download the book you need to have a Kindle app or device registered to that Amazon Japan account. Then you can strip the DRM with Calibre, and off you go!

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Meanwhile...

I'm finally getting to Tender is the Night because I'm aiming to finish the whole Fitzgerald novel catalogue before moving on to anything else. I read The Last Tycoon not too long ago, and it was fantastic - if only Fitzgerald had been able to finish it, I'm sure it would've been his greatest book. He's just a really good writer, and I wish that he wouldn't be taught in schools in such a dry way; his prose is full of life (and even a good deal of comedy) but it's probably hard for an apathetic high school student to appreciate that.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Nevermind I just ordered a used paperback on Amazon for 1 cent. I mean there's still 16$ worth of shipping but at this point it's go big or go home I guess.

And if it's as Bulgakov-mindfuckery as you implied in one of your earlier posts then I might even be able to stomach the hetero sex that was mentioned.
    In a 2002 Bomb magazine interview, the novelist Victor Pelevin, author of “Generation P,” said it’s impossible to explain Bulgakov’s effect to those who didn’t live through Soviet times. “ ‘The Master and Margarita’ didn’t even bother to be anti-Soviet, yet reading this book would make you free instantly. It didn’t liberate you from some particular old ideas, but rather from the hypnotism of the entire order of things.”
    The guy loves Bulgakov, and you do absolutely see the influence, although I think that the most Bulgakov Pelevin is Omon Ra and not Werewolf.