Page 8 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3678910131858108 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sword View Post
    After much delay waiting for it to become somewhat affordable, started reading A Dance With Dragons by G.R.R. Martin. Dark start.
    I hope you enjoy waiting for things to happen and then getting pissed off when they finally do. Cause that's ADWD in a nutshell.

Blog Entries
    Sailor Moon, volume 4. I think I'm a little in love with Setsuna's manga design.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Can't wait for the third Kingkiller book.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Finally finished The Sword of Shannara, now starting on Elfstones. The fact that I have the three-books-in-one edition is most definitely not helping.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I wanted to read those, but my library apparently couldn't be bothered after they bought the first and third books.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

daily dose of despair <3 Ruu-tan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've only read the first book of the Shannara trilogy...

Rereading Snow Flower and The Secret Fan by Lisa See. I remember how my English teacher just refused to lend me hers; Now I know why :3

Artist's block. Bigger bitch than karma, I swear.

Blog Entries
    I'm read the Alchemist now. ....I'm not really thrilled with it. It's a short book, sure, but it'll still take several more days to finish. Must be my cynicism.

Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    I hope you enjoy waiting for things to happen and then getting pissed off when they finally do. Cause that's ADWD in a nutshell.
    Finished it already; it was a great read. Unlike most people, I'm not into instant gratification. I enjoy watching people set up their schemes as much as I enjoy the inevitable battle, bloodshed, and betrayal that follows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sword View Post
    I'm read the Alchemist now. ....I'm not really thrilled with it. It's a short book, sure, but it'll still take several more days to finish. Must be my cynicism.

Finished it already; it was a great read. Unlike most people, I'm not into instant gratification. I enjoy watching people set up their schemes as much as I enjoy the inevitable battle, bloodshed, and betrayal that follows.

sounds like david eddings, especially his later books, I have never quite understood how a guy can write a book series thats like 95% or more of just people standing around chatting and so consistently knock it out of the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to read those, but my library apparently couldn't be bothered after they bought the first and third books.

you sir are missing out
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Currently reading Nabokov's Lolita ...... what can I say? Guilty pleasure I suppose, Humbert reminds me so much of Macbeth and Nabokov's writing style is just so engrossing I just can't put the book down every time I pick it up ... God I feel like such a Pervert afterwards but I don't care, ARS GRATIA ARTIS!!!!
    "An A+-Rank in Imagination, a D-Rank in Writing and an E-Rank in Luck ... what could possibly go wrong?"
    Personal Note: Somehow create own RP when/if I get to 2000* Posts ... that won't crash and burn on the first day after weeks of planning.

"Insufficiently analyzed genius is indistinguishable from insanity ... nishishi~"

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    I've been meaning to read that one for a while now.

It's currently sitting with War & Peace, the complete works of Shakespeare, anything by Nietzsche and various others in my list of "So-called must-read classics that everyone means to read but nobody ever gets round to because damn, they're long/boring/deliberately opaque."
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    "So-called must-read classics that everyone means to read but nobody ever gets round to because damn, they're long/boring/deliberately opaque."
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read."
    (Mark Twain)

Blog Entries
    I'm currently re-reading "Good Omens".

Such brilliant and awesome stuff. Crowley is my hero. And Pepper and Adam are love.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

daily dose of despair <3 Ruu-tan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Rereading Peony in Love before I'm back to Good Omens. Thank god I could find my copy before exams begin.

Artist's block. Bigger bitch than karma, I swear.

Reading A Thousands Sons, part of the Horus Heresy. I've liked what I've read so far in that series, but I almost gave up on this one before the end of the first chapter, because one of the characters is Moe. Seriously, they practically copypasted the definition from Urban Dictionary. Something about 'a vulnerability that made man alternately want to protect her and deflower her,' and she has no idea she does it.

You can have that in some series, but keep it out of my Warhammer! Ah, well. It doesn't matter; she'll probably end up as a daemonhost. The weak don't survive in Warhammer.

Blog Entries
    Um, isn't deflowering a requirement in Warhammer? Mostly because it involves tainting what was once pure?

Coincidentally, I'm also reading Warhammer right now. Eisenhorn, to be specific. I just started the third book, Hereticus.

Blog Entries
    Eisenhorn and Ravenor are good stuff. The short stories you find in the omnibus editions are really kind of interesting. See if you can get a peek at them.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Yeah, forgot to mention that it is the Omnibus I'm reading. I've got the Ravenor one on hold at the library too.

Reading Battle Royale right now, about 17 chapters in
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam