Page 114 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1464104109112113114115116119 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "The Early Cases of Akechi Kogoro" by Edogawa Ranpo (An anthology of his first four short stories involving the eponymous amateur detective).

Despite having read all of Ranpo's collected works a long time ago, I ended up with a copy of this on my desk and out of nostalgia, I ended up reading it. Man, unlike Ranpo's horror stories, the Akechi series had a much rougher beginning as these four short stories in the anthology are all over the place in terms of narrative style. Without going into spoilers, the first two stories are told in first person perspective from a nameless character who serves as the typical Watson character. The latter two are in third person either from an omniscient narrator or by just jumping from various character perspectives. The first two stories are also more traditional Golden Age detective stories (locked room murder and phantom thieves), whilst the latter have horror/supernatural elements infused which Akechi must debunk using his powers of reasoning.
    Anyways, what interested me more was the translation itself. As I read it, I couldn't help but feel I was reading a Sherlock Holmes novel or something. And by the end I realised why - despite being translated in 2014, for some reason the translator really tried to capture the time period feel of Japan by using a Victorian-esque style of writing. Things like "gay" appears a lot throughout the book in its original meaning as well as other... not anachronisms, but I can't think of the right word. It was really weird, but once you got used to it then it wasn't too bad.
    But whatever, it was a decent time waster for a few hours whilst at work (ssh, don't tell anyone) and while I would recommend other works by Ranpo more, sadly a lot of his work simply isn't available in English. Also Seishi Yokomizo is the best writer of JPN detective fiction and you can fite me on that.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    reading Blood Red, Sister Rose by Thomas Keneally

... blood sacrifice Jeanne best Jeanne, hands down.

マリーの味方
    Finished The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima. It was a fun read. He really has a way with words, I actually found myself wanting to read some paragraphs aloud just because they sounded so good. Probably going to read Spring Snow next.

Blog Entries
    What's this? A book that I've read that isn't from Japan? Say it ain't so!

"The Good Assassin" by Paul Vidich.

A pretty solid spy drama - especially for being only the second book written by Vidich. It's a little rough around the edges, the beginning in particular is a slow burner that might turn people off but it was worth sticking through. And though I have seen the same concept done even better by veteran writers, I would still recommend this to anyone looking to get into spy drama literature and I will keep an eye out from now on for any future works by Mr.Vidich.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    starting the malazan series

what can i expect
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    A lot of names and concepts and made up words you won't recognise or understand for ages.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just read the The Martian Obelisk, a really interesting sci-fi short story, last night. The core conflict is basically the same as Lion King versus Ritsuka in Camelot. In the face of a seemingly unstoppable disaster, should you abandon the world as doomed and focus all your efforts on creating a monument so humanity can be remembered after it's gone or fight tooth and nail against the incoming disaster even if it might be hopeless?

Blog Entries
    is that an eva reference
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    is that an eva reference
    No, just common themes.

- - - Updated - - -

And Evangelion was clearly inspired by earlier works of science fiction (episode 26 of the original series is even titled after a Harlan Ellison short story), so the notion of intertextuality between anime and western mediums isn't nearly as silly as you seem to be implying.

Blog Entries
    Read "The Quiet American" by Graham Greene.

Another really good book by Greene. Really made me think about morality, politics and history. Definitely recommended. <3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    A Greene novel I heartily recommend is "Monsignor Quixote".

Reading Death's Acre by Bill Bass right now. Non-fiction, but interesting history of forensics.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Reading Kate Daniels series. Its really good. I dunno if it counts as YA or not, but either way it really reminds me of Dresden Files, which i also like.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    I've read one of José Saramago's novels, and was thinking of others with... unique... styles...

Cormac? Faulkner?

Blog Entries
    Read Forever Fantasy Online by Rachel Aaron and Travis Bach

This is very weeb and at the same time not weeb
    In a good way

Blog Entries
    Just read Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

I had misgiving of a mostly fantasy author writing scifi at the beginning but

IT WAS AWESOOOOOOOOOOME

i tend to cool down in my impression of a book after several days so my opinions may meek down after several days, but for now, it was a scudding awesome book. Without delving too much to a spoiler, the book was very engaging, keeping me up late nights to keep on reading the more i read them, and most of all its just so refreshing experience.

I dont scifi much, so i dont know if this is a good book purely speaking in scifi terms, but i sure think this is one entertaining book.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If you're looking to get into sci-fi I recommend Dune. It's a classic and pretty much just a fantasy book in a sci-fi setting.
    It's a series but I never read the sequels, the first one was pretty self-contained and a great read.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    It's a classic and pretty much just a fantasy book in a sci-fi setting.
    Not an entirely accurate statement, but not an unfair one either.

The sequels are also very good, though I consider the first novel the best of the bunch. Stop at the sixth novel, though, "Chapterhouse: Dune", and stay far away from the prequels and the seventh book - they weren't written by the original author.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Just read Skyward by Brandon Sanderson.

I had misgiving of a mostly fantasy author writing scifi at the beginning but

IT WAS AWESOOOOOOOOOOME

i tend to cool down in my impression of a book after several days so my opinions may meek down after several days, but for now, it was a scudding awesome book. Without delving too much to a spoiler, the book was very engaging, keeping me up late nights to keep on reading the more i read them, and most of all its just so refreshing experience.

I dont scifi much, so i dont know if this is a good book purely speaking in scifi terms, but i sure think this is one entertaining book.
    Knowing your taste, sounds great.

Did the book explain a lot of their in universe sci-fi/fake science mechanics?

Dune is such a dense read imo. Herbert was a masterful worldbuilder but his character writing and interaction often fall very flat at best and obnoxious at worst. Have't read but the idea of someone who's a better char writer handling it in his built up world doesn't seem like a bad one.