Page 105 of 124 FirstFirst ... 55595100103104105106107110115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2463

Thread: The Book Lair - all book talk ITT

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    tbh imo riordan reusing same stuffs again and again is starting to get oldlike, i still like his storytelling and anrration but i want something newer
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. I like Riordan's work, but he's basically a one-trick pony who just wears a differently-coloured saddle every once in a while.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. I like Riordan's work, but he's basically a one-trick pony who just wears a differently-coloured saddle every once in a while.
    He's doing Norse mythology too now, which is fairly different...

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    He's doing Norse mythology too now [...]
    And he already did Egyptian mythology as well. See "differently-coloured saddle". :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    And he already did Egyptian mythology as well. See "differently-coloured saddle". :-)
    Ah, I kind of do my best to block out the whole Egyptian mythology deal. (Only read the first book and it was a major drop in quality compared to his other stuff)

So Many Ideas, So Little Time SleepMode's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Percy Jackson series aside, The Heroes of Olympus was the other good one, IMO. The others were kind of okay-ish.

---

Like what SpoonyViking said, it kind of gets a little repetitive after a while.
    The Act of dozing off in the afternoon is a luxury indeed.
    Coffee would be nice, though.

[Collection of my Servant Sheets]
    Now Revamped!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zh1212 View Post
    Percy Jackson series aside, The Heroes of Olympus was the other good one, IMO. The others were kind of okay-ish.
    Heroes Of Olympus came off to a kind of iffy start, but it got back to the author's usually high standards from the 2nd book onward.

Jason was not nearly as compelling a protagonist as Percy, but thankfully he was mostly sidelined in favor of more interesting characters...

Blog Entries
    Finally finished reading an interesting bio of Chevalier D'Eon based on their memoirs and other writings of the time.

Literally worth it just for learning scandal sheets shipped them and Benjamin Franklin.

Signature by fumato

Blog Entries
    Are the A Song of Fire and Ice novels worth reading?

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    honestly, by my experience

not really

but thats me
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Yes.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    They're pretty good if you can keep up with a conveyor belt of characters, put up with the incredibly unappealing sex scene writing, and if you're able to read a novel without caring about, empathising with or self inserting into any of the characters in it. I'm not actually insulting the series, I think it's a good sort of political/war thingy, but there was a point at which I looked up from the book, wondered why I hadn't made any real progress reading in the last hour, then realising that the character I disliked the least had died half a book ago and I didn't really care about any of the characters introduced since.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

You can quote me, but be prepared to be wrong. MaHaL's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Been reading Guderian lately. Panzer Leader is much more engaging than Achtung-Panzer! Which while it isn't too dry if you you like the msterial does suffer from being a bit of a manual and dissertation rather than anything else.

マリーの味方
    Quote Originally Posted by Gally View Post
    yes, better than the show

I'm in the "no" camp for those ones.

YMMV.
    One must know the path one runs even if the ground underfoot is not as one chooses

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    No, solely on the principle that GRRM doesn't seem to give much a damn about finishing them. Just watch the show, it's better by far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

The show is a show and the books are books. Read books if you like books, watch show if you like shows, do both if you like both. The constant comparisons are dumb and unfair to both.

Blog Entries
    In my opinion if you like books and want to keep liking books you should read other books.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The books have some plotlines that I'm interested in (Sansa and Littlefinger, Jamie and Brienne, Lich Queen, etc), but I'm expecting to hear about GRRM's death any day now, and not really interested in reading the finished stuff by another author.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Then I will ask that you pay closer attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    So if I'm reading this right DP is saying that the feature almost everybody hates that is bad and makes the forum objectively worse will never go away because that would negatively impact another feature that nobody has ever used and most likely never will use just in case someday, someone wants to use it. Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    It's like if someone told me "make me a milkshake" and i was blind and they gave me the ingredients and I made a milkshake because milkshakes are good, but it turns out that milkshake was a bomb.

In my opinion just read the Bible and sin no more.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    The books have some plotlines that I'm interested in (Sansa and Littlefinger, Jamie and Brienne, Lich Queen, etc), but I'm expecting to hear about GRRM's death any day now, and not really interested in reading the finished stuff by another author.
    Yeah him ever finishing is highly doubtful, not so much because of death but more because if he doesn't care about the series no amount of years would be enough to finish. What is out so far has value but I suppose it depends on whether one is the type that wants to get into stuff knowing there's an end in sight. In which case it might be better to skip the books and avoid the inevitable frustration.

That's why I actually recommend the three "Tales of Dunk and Egg" novellas over the main series; not only each story is fairly self-contained, but Dunk and Egg are quite more likeable and interesting than a fair number of Martin's usual characters.
    Mind, I think the main series is good (other than the last two books), but I do feel Martin's plot has been meandering for a while.