10: Omelas
    11: Second
    12: Pretender

Character Reference, Snippets #1-#4
    Masters & Servants, Snippet #7

Timeline, Snippet #8
    Known Factions, Snippet #10

//

What if Sakura had a different evil grandfather?

Concept created with help from Velsper.

IMAGINARY NUMBERS // Winter, 2007

Sitting nude at the side of her bed, Sakura parted the black, sweat-stained hair that had fallen across her eyes, and tilted her head to look upon the sleeping face of her stepbrother.

Like this, she thought, he seemed almost the innocent that he was, rather than the man he pretended to be. There was none of the foolish arrogance of his waking self -- nothing of the brute that used her as a release for his pent-up frustrations. Just Shinji: the simple, insecure boy that had tried to befriend her when they were children.

Tenderly, she kissed his cheek. Even if she didn't love him, she couldn't quite bring herself to hate him.

He was, after all, instrumental to attaining her goals.

//

Her grandfather was in the rear drawing room of the manor when she arrived, standing in the dim red illumination of the December moon.

"I have been made to wait," he said.

"I apologize, grandfather," she replied, bowing. "I have no excuse."

The gaunt, blindfolded man cast a stony expression at her, and then nodded at the knife on the table beside him.

"The moment that I have prepared you for quickly approaches," he said. "If you are serious in your intent to see this through, I would advise that you hurry."

Nodding, she approached his side. Unsheathing the knife, she ran the edge of the blade across her left index finger, and let her blood fall to the formalcraft array carved at the center of the mahogany floor.

"Link activate," she said. "Initiate registration."

As her blood filled the thin grooves of the array, the outer circle began to glow a bright crimson. In moments, three petal-like marks appeared across the back of her hand; the Arbiter had recognized her as a Master, and had granted permission to proceed with the summoning of her Servant.

"I beseech you in the name of our master, Schweinorg the many-faced, who holds dominion over gemstone," she chanted. "I beseech you by the dreams of the princess in white, who slumbers in the buried castle."

The crimson light spread along the carved grooves to the inner circles of the array, surrounding the stone placed at the center. Even with the boost she'd received from her coupling with Shinji, Sakara could feel the prana within her draining from her at an alarming rate -- but she steadied herself. The ritual had to be completed.

"You who would by bloodshed seek the truths of this world, heed my word. I pledge to your sword my fate and destruction, and thereby call you forth from the memories of the Crimson King. Arrive within the ring of binding, that we may finalize our vows."

From the stone at the center of the array, tendrils of light extended upwards. Sakura had imagined that the Servant would manifest whole -- but instead, the light weaved itself into the exterior of a human figure: A tall, redheaded man with Asian features, clad in a red-orange rider's cassock.

When the process completed, the Servant opened his eyes.

"I am Li Shuwen, a Servant of the Assassin class," he said, sternly meeting her gaze. "I ask of you, are you my Master?"

Maintaining eye-contact, Sakura said, "My name is Tohno Sakura, and I shall be your Master in this War."

Behind her, the blindfolded old man smiled.

//

In the city of Misaki, the prelude to the 5th Phantasmal Summer had begun.
    The Masque of the Crimson King would be reenacted once again ...

//

ASSASSIN // Li Shuwen (1864–1934)
    master: Tohno Sakura
    alignment: lawful neutral

strength: B
    endurance: C
    agility: A
    mana: D
    luck: A

A martial artist of the modern period, renowned for originating a prominent branch of the fighting style known as Bajiquan.

skills

Presence Concealment (Odic Manipulation), Rank -: Dynamic alignment with the energy gradient of the environment is used to eliminate exerted presence. Optical invisibility is not attained, but the Servant is removed from the perception of most humans, and other related beings. Non-identical to the Presence Concealment ability of Hassan-i-Sabbah.

Chinese Martial Arts, Rank A++: A Chinese rationality. A measure of one's mastery over the combat art whose goal is to attain oneness with the World. Unlike standard skills, an A rank denotes proficiency.

Sphere Boundary, Rank A: Awareness of the the energy gradient within one's locale. Paired with high levels of odic control, a high rank in this skill may permit alteration of exerted energy presence to remove oneself from the perceptions of others.

noble phantasm

No Second Strike, Rank -: The quintessence of Li-clan Bajiquan. If the Servant is permitted to attain focus in odic control, all attacks dealt via hand-to-hand are rendered nearly lethal; on contact, odic energy is directed into an opponent to produce circulatory shock. Strictly speaking, not a true Noble Phantasm.
    Last edited by fallacies; August 5th, 2012 at 05:53 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, so are you replacing Kohaku with Sakura here? Interesting....

Remember, though, that they are two different characters. Sakura isn't as inclined to go for revenge as Kohaku is, particularly against the rest of the Tohno family. Sure, she might well try to hurt Makihisa, but she wouldn't be willing to hurt innocents like Shinji, or even Akiha.
    Last edited by Mike1984; June 14th, 2012 at 07:05 AM.

Looks more like he's replacing Zouken with Makihisa, although I suppose it's a matter of perspective.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, yeah, true.

Not sure how that works, though....

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Hmm, yeah, true.

Not sure how that works, though....
    At least, it's not worms... but more body hurt.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    looool. I look at all these post speculating that the blindfolded guy is Makihisa, and laugh because the answer to who this guy really is is right there.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wait, it's Shiki?

That doesn't seem right to me....

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Glad to see the fic is out. Let me know if you keep needing help, Fall.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Quote Originally Posted by DreamsRequiem View Post
    looool. I look at all these post speculating that the blindfolded guy is Makihisa, and laugh because the answer to who this guy really is is right there.
    I feel retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    I feel retarded.
    Me too, but I'm still not sure who the "grandfather" is. Since its a grandfather I was a little weary of it being Makihisa, but the "Tohno Sakura" limits our options. Is it Roa/Shiki? Or is it someone completely different?

Congrats to DreamRequiem for figuring it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fangstrike View Post
    Me too, but I'm still not sure who the "grandfather" is. Since its a grandfather I was a little weary of it being Makihisa, but the "Tohno Sakura" limits our options. Is it Roa/Shiki? Or is it someone completely different?

It's MEoDP Makihisa.

Quote Originally Posted by Fafnir View Post
    It's MEoDP Makihisa.

OMFG! Seriously? If it is, we should've had SHIKI in there instead of Shinji. Hm... now I got all sorts of ideas...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fangstrike View Post

I'm assuming Shiki in his "killer" form (the one with the bandages over the eyes), but I'm rather surprised that he's raising Sakura (he's not much older than her, for one thing), and even more surprised that he's seemingly been abusing her.

Blog Entries
    Really? I've never seen/read Tsukihime but from what I've read from people posting it seems he's not exactly the nicest of people. Not sure if I'm recalling the right person but I think someone mentioned him raping girls?

Blog Entries
    That's the right person.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    He's a kind person most of the time, but because of backstory and background, it is somewhat easy for him to be put in a stressful situation that will lead him to rape.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure, though, how he's managed to end up as the "evil grandfather" to Sakura. For one thing, he's about 50 years too young for that....

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NuitTombee View Post
    Really? I've never seen/read Tsukihime but from what I've read from people posting it seems he's not exactly the nicest of people. Not sure if I'm recalling the right person but I think someone mentioned him raping girls?
    It's more like Kinoko keeps sticking in "then he rapes her because he's possessed/because of MAGIC" rather than the character actually being inclined to it.

The 1st Phantasmal Summer was nothing that could be described as a tournament.

DAATH // Meiji 24 (1891), Winter

The primate mask that had concealed the identity of the crimson-armored samurai split and fell away, revealing the heavily-scarred face of a young woman.

"How?" she gasped, staring at the blade planted in her breastplate.

If circumstances had permitted, she might have expressed incredulity that a warrior of her stature could be slain without so much as grasping the opening movements of her opponent's attack. This was, however, no longer possible; for even as the one word parted her lips, the dismembered pieces of her body had begun to fall to the floor, unraveling into threads of light in the process.

Her blindfolded assailant -- a middle aged man of average height, dressed in a simple dark-colored kimono and hakama ensemble -- turned to sightlessly regard Tohsaka Eiji.

"The foreigners and their witchcraft are neutralized," he stated, "and all seven of these guardians you've summoned have been vanquished. If there is a reason I shouldn't send you on your way for desecrating this place, now would be the time to give it."

Hubris, thought the young Tohsaka heir. It had been hubris to believe that with materialized heroic spirits bound to defend the ritual, they had nothing to fear from the man that his father had called 'the Gravekeeper.' A non-magus who kept the company of the great master Schweinorg could hardly be anything but an unreasonable existence.

"If I die here," Eiji ventured, "you'll have lost a chance at purging the taint of Brunestud from the White Princess."

Seemingly mollified, the Gravekeeper sheathed his dagger and appeared to turn his gaze upwards, at the slumbering European woman chained to the ornate throne at the rear of the chamber.

"Explain yourself," he said.

"The mind of Brunestud is known to the thaumaturgical academia as the 'Moon Cell,'" replied Eiji. "It is as complete a record of the World as one might find without access to the Swirl of the Root. If a method to remove Brunestud's taint indeed exists, then it undoubtedly lies within. I know of a way to obtain this information, but my method requires access to the flesh of the White Princess."

"Why is that?" asked the Gravekeeper, slowly approaching.

"Th- the incident caused by the Einzberns twenty years ago," said Eiji, struggling to keep the apprehension from his voice as the man neared. "It connected the White Princess directly to Brunestud, and therefore the Moon Cell. The procedure that you interrupted was intended to make use of the Princess as a physical conduit at the height of the Solstice Reverse, when the spiritual proximity of the Moon reached a maximum."

"And would she come to harm?"

"No!" Eiji exclaimed. "I assure you, the House Tohsaka has no intention to call upon ourselves the wrath of Master Schweinorg!"

The Gravekeeper stopped before Eiji and lifted the front of his blindfold. Beneath, sunken, empty sockets stared into Eiji's eyes unseeingly. More than a little unnerved, the Tohsaka heir backed away.

"So what if I purge the Princess of her taint?" asked the blind man. "Do you then lose the use of this 'Moon Cell?'"

"Y- yes ..."

"If your intent is to appropriate the Princess as a permanent resource for your craft, then your life is forfeit, here and now," he said, lowering his blindfold and turning away. "If, however, you take it upon yourself to reserve for me in perpetuity a chance to remove her from the influence of the Crimson Moon, I shall deign to overlook your transgressions. Are we agreed?"

A chance? The Gravekeeper's demands were surprisingly modest, all things accounted for. It was a probably a political consideration -- for even if the man could outmatch heroic spirits in single combat, he was only one person, and could ill-afford to incur the enmity of all those who would seek access to the Moon Cell. He was in essence passing to the House Tohsaka the onus of negotiating his position to the Clock Tower and Atlas.

It presented certain possibilities, the Tohsaka heir realized.

"I submit to your terms," he said.

//

SABER (1st War) // Ii Naomasa (1561-1602)
    master: Zakariya Eltnam Merovech
    alignment: chaotic good

strength: A
    endurance: A
    agility: C
    mana: C
    luck: D

One of the four most prominent generals in the service of Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Known for her blood-red armor and her ruthless tactics, her exploits during the Sengoku era won her the epithet, "the Crimson Demon of Ii." Though her gender was known to her close comrades and superiors, she maintained the public persona of a man for tactical purposes.

skills

Magic Resistance, Rank D (C): Capable of resisting single-action magecraft. Though trained in defence against assorted Oriental magecraft, the Servant is a personage of the modern era, and thus encountered few skilled users of magecraft in life.

Riding, Rank B: Most vehicles and live mounts can be handled with significant proficiency. However, the Servant is incapable of riding Phantasmal Beasts.

Eye of the Mind (False), Rank C: An innate intuition that permits the aversion of danger. However, the effect of the skill is determined by a Luck Roll, and does not permit awareness of projectile attacks.

Blood-Stained Virgin, Rank B: Depending on the degree to which the Servant's armaments are coated with the blood of her opponents, her strength, agility, and endurance are improved for a maximum of one rank; but this is coupled with a comparative increase in mental pollution. While the effect is active, the Servant gains minor self-restorative capabilities similar to the vampiric Curse of Regeneration.

noble phantasms

Vermillion Arms // The Devil in Red - Rank C, Support Type
    A cursed mask and suit of armor, crafted of steel. The blood of the Servant's opponents have permeated the material, giving it a permanent tinge of crimson. Sight of the armaments inflicts an intuitive fear and related psychological effects upon those with low mental fortitude or resistance to curses. The effect is enhanced with visual distortions if the armor is exposed to blood.
    Last edited by fallacies; July 1st, 2012 at 05:50 AM.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    Heh, Shiki doing what he does for love, so typical. I kinda see his similarity to Zolgen now.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou