Thread: The Manhattan Project II

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Manhattan Project II

Here it is, a fanfic that I posted a blurb about a while back. Unlike my Gilgamesh fic that's on hiatus, you won't have to worry about this one - I've got a good amount of backlog, and my updating time is... whenever. I'll update fairly quickly, enough to allow discussion to form and such. So, here's the first, quite short, chapter, to get a small nibbling of what's to come.

--------------------------

CHAPTER I

Thus, the first true battle of the Manhattan War was over.

The great dark ship floating on the Potomac River was stricken with harsh flames, the greatest lights in the city that black night, and its dread captain stood at the helm, glaring with unspeakable rage at a tiny figure on the shore. The shadows of the twilight swallowed the ship and all its crew in time, disappearing downriver, and with it went the smell of burning flesh and wood, the stench of raw destruction. This man was not near dead, but a tactical retreat on his part was close enough to a victory that the swordsman on the shore sheathed her sword and removed her battle cape, turning to face her barely conscious ally.

-

It was early February in the year of 1963, in the city of Washington, D.C., capital of the United States of America, premier superpower of the world, right next to the Soviet Union. This was a time of tumult, excitement, entertainment and change. John Fitzgerald Kennedy, a man of the people, was the President, Beatlemania was about to explode across the Atlantic, and the Mona Lisa came to the States. In Alabama the governor cried, “Segregation now, segregation tomorrow, and segregation forever!” months before Martin Luther would speak for freedom on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. The Korean War was just a decade old, but Vietnam loomed on the horizon already, not yet escalated to the scale that it would so famously reach.

And it was then, in Washington, D.C., that another war was beginning. It was not a war of ideals, not a war of money or land or natural resources; it was a war waged on such a small scale as to be invisible, but that was hoped to determine the future of the entire world. Beyond personal gain this war was waged, between trained magi well versed in the secret art of magecraft, to decide a victor of the currently ongoing Cold War between the Soviet Union and the United States, as well as their allies across the globe. So it was that in Washington, D.C, their war began, with twenty-three magi summoning figures from history and mythology to aid them in winning the war for their country and their own side, be it the Warsaw Pact or NATO. Such was the goal of the Manhattan Project II, a union of science, politics and magic heavily inspired by the Holy Grail War of Japan. The allusion to nuclear science and the atom bomb did not go unnoticed, but it concealed the project's true nature.

This was not the first day of this war, no, and in fact to truly understand the situation, it would be necessary to delve into the past, during the summoning of one of the many Servants, on February 3rd, 1963, in the living room of a Washington, D.C. apartment.

-- --

-----------------------------

For those not in the know, the spoiler here describes the general concept of it, copy/pasted directly from the Fanfic Ideas thread:

Spoiler:
    In the early-mid 1960s, inspired by the idea of the Holy Grail War, namely the Third sometime in the 30s or 40s, a multinational (read: both Soviets and otherwise) group of magi and scientists work to create a similar project. Realizing that, if humanity can split the atom then hey they can probably adapt that level of science to magecraft and create something really fancy. The goal of this is to settle the Cold War, reacting to increased tensions after the crises of the late 50's and early 60's such as the Cuban Missile Crisis. Named the Manhattan Project II as a way to hide it as yet another nuclear weapons project, the scientists and magi create their own replica of the Holy Grail, except, y'know, not tainted. The winner of the subsequent War, as a magi from either a NATO or Warsaw Pact country, would use their wish to end the Cold War with benefits to their home country. Of course, that's a definite oversight by the designers as the magi who participate learn the scope of the Manhattan Project and for the most part change their goals to more personal ones. Being untainted and the result of considerable magic and nuclear science, the Manhattan Project's replica Grail has an enhanced ability to contain mana and the power of Servants, as a design choice to enable members from every Warsaw Pact state and most NATO states to participate in the replica Holy Grail War. Due to the influence of the Holy Grail War on the Manhattan Project II, some things were kept as flavour, and others as design requirements: including the seven standard classes of the Grail War was necessary as to allocate mana more effectively by grouping the many Servants up, there are less Berserkers than other classes due to their high mana requirement, and only one Assassin, yet again Hassan, is summoned because of the fact that only one representation of any mythological or historical figure can be present, and Hassan-i Sabbah is the best fit for the Assassin archetype. Because the Throne of Heroes is entirely unconnected to the Manhattan Project, the Servants exist in-the-flesh: they are direct manifestations of the myths and stories of what would in the Grail Wars be Heroic Spirits, and so when they die they return to their places in history, unless they win the Manhattan Project. They are fundamentally magical beings when they are summoned, but ultimately, if you cut them they bleed. They're more like Saber or F/SN Gilgamesh in that way. The Servants are the actual people and at the same time not; they're amalgamations of the concept of the famous people based on who they actually were and the legends surrounding them. Other Heroic Spirit/magic rules apply, though: the older they are the more powerful they are (due to their concept having more history/experience) and the more well known they are, again, the more powerful they are, because their concept is stronger. There is no rule that states that there must be one Servant for each class, or that each class must have an equal number of Servants. The presence of Servants instead of some more scientific, non-magic deciding factor is based on the idea that secret magic is easier to conceal than all out fighting. Who believes in magic, anyways? Ha! The Manhattan Project selects heroes mostly at random, due to the collection of related artifacts being tedious, and the creators of the project wanting to get it over with already. For the most part the first summoned Servants for each class are those who fit that class best, aside from the Berserkers who, as per the Holy Grail War have a special summoning ritual, and the Servants of the magi who specifically choose who they summon. As a result some of the summoned heroes are considerably h4x due to being nearly the best in their class, such as Moses and Scathach for Caster and Achilles for Lancer. The setting is Washington, DC for its strong leylines as a result of the amount of history the place has in America, with the high number of monuments and because it's the capital of the USA. For symbolic and logical purposes the war is presided over by a member of the Church, hanging out in the Oak Hill Chapel.

So, discuss, if you'd like. Ask questions, I'll probably give answers. Not everything is entirely certain yet, so if there's something you'd really like to see in a fic like this, please feel free to mention it. Oh, and at certain points in the story, I may put up questions for you, oh readers. Things ranging from what characters should do, to which character to follow around for a chapter. That won't come up for a while, but keep your eyes peeled for them! I'm mainly hoping for comments. ;_;

Edit: Oh, and I should put some of these in here, too:

----------------
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1960s - for insight as to the culture and "feel" of the era.
    http://www.albireo.ch/temperatureconverter/ - because I'm Canadian, and Fahrenheit confuses me.
    http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/zipcode/20001 - I wanna be accurate, guys.
    http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingt...e=historic&id= - a great resource for local events and news.

-----------------

Here's the Servant profiles thread. Discuss the Servants and their Masters there!

-----------------

Table of Contents:

Main Chapter Index
    Chapter I - look above, silly!
    Chapter II
    Chapter III
    Chapter IV
    Chapter V
    Chapter VI
    Chapter VII
    Chapter VIII
    Chapter IX
    Chapter X
    Chapter XI
    Chapter XII
    Chapter XIII
    Chapter XIV
    Chapter XV
    Chapter XVI
    Chapter XVII
    Chapter XVIII
    Chapter XIX
    Chapter XX
    Chapter XXI
    Chapter XXII
    Chapter XXIII
    Chapter XXIV
    Chapter XXV
    Chapter XXVI
    Chapter XXVII
    Chapter XXVIII
    Chapter XXIX
    Chapter XXX (Christmas Update!)
    Chapter XXXI
    Chapter XXXII
    Chapter XXXIII
    Chapter XXXIV
    Chapter XXXV
    Chapter XXXVI
    Chapter XXXVII
    Chapter XXXVIII
    Chapter XXXIX
    Chapter XL
    Chapter XLI
    Chapter XLII
    Chapter XLIII
    Chapter XLIV
    Chapter XLV
    Chapter XLVI
    Chapter XLVII
    Chapter XLVIII
    Chapter XLIX
    Chapter L
    Chapter LI
    Chapter LII
    Chapter LIII
    Chapter LIV
    Chapter LV
    Chapter LVI
    Chapter LVII
    Chapter LVIII
    Chapter LIX
    Chapter LX
    Chapter LXI
    Chapter LXII
    Chapter LXIII
    Chapter LXIV
    Chapter LXV
    Chapter LXVI
    Chapter LXVII
    Chapter LXVIII
    Chapter LXIX
    Chapter LXX
    Chapter LXXI
    Chapter LXXII
    Chapter LXXIII
    Chapter LXXIV
    Chapter LXXV (Christmas Update!)
    Chapter LXXVI
    Chapter LXXVII
    Chapter LXXVIII
    Chapter LXXX
    Chapter LXXXI
    Chapter LXXXII
    Chapter LXXXIII
    Chapter LXXXIV
    Chapter LXXXV
    Chapter LXXXVI
    Chapter LXXXVII
    Chapter LXXXVIII
    Chapter LXXXIX
    Chapter XC
    Chapter XCI
    Chapter XCII
    Chapter XCIII
    Chapter XCIV
    Chapter XCV
    Chapter XCVI
    Chapter XCVII
    Chapter XCVIII
    Chapter XCIX
    Chapter C
    Chapter CI
    Chapter CII
    Chapter CIII
    Chapter CIV
    Chapter CV
    Chapter CVI
    Chapter CVII
    Chapter CVIII
    Chapter CIX
    Chapter CX
    Chapter CXI
    Chapter CXII
    Chapter CXIII
    Chapter CXIV
    Chapter CXV
    Chapter CXVI
    Chapter CXVII
    Chapter CXVIII
    Chapter CXIX
    Chapter CXX
    Chapter CXXI
    Chapter CXXII
    Chapter CXXIII
    Chapter CXXIV
    Chapter CXXV
    Chapter CXXVI
    Chapter CXXVII
    Chapter CXXVIII
    Chapter CXXIX
    Chapter CXXX - The End

Epilogue

Note: you must read these following short chapters in order to understand some parts past the "General Dialogue" arc, since this introduces two new characters I was unable to put into the original story when they would be active.

Also, here's a list of all the omakes, compiled by the excellent KAIZA! Do note that these (even the titles) include a lot of unmarked spoilers, so if you haven't reached certain events in the story - especially the revelation of Saber's identity and the bulk of the General Dialogue arc - you shouldn't open this spoiler box.

Omakes

==================================================
    MANHATTAN PROJECT II OMAKES
    Omake I
    Omake II
    Matador
    Omake III
    Ramesses vs. ???
    The Christmas Truce + Caesarko Artwork (below Chapter XXX)
    Eleanor's Day Off (First Part)
    Eleanor's Day Off What if Enrico had summoned...?
    Preview to War (3rd War tease)
    Revolution (future MPII project tease)
    A Christmas Story

TEACH US, SCATHACH-SENSEI!!
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    Episode 7
    Episode 8
    Episode 9
    Episode 10
    Episode 11
    Episode 12

EPIC RAP BATTLES OF HISTORY!
    Alexander vs. Hannibal

WHAT FIVE_X'S CHARACTERS WOULD NEVER SAY
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    Episode 7
    Episode 8
    Episode 9

MPII CHARACTERS Q&A
    Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    Episode 7
    Episode 8
    Episode 9
    Episode 10

SONGS
    Be A Man
    I'm back in the SPQR
    Show Me Your Generals

MANHATTAN NIGHTS
    Manhattan Nights, Part 1

OTHER
    Interesting MPII Facts!
    Caesarko - First Rough Draft
    The Nigel Conspiracy (SPOILERS)
    The Armies and Napoleon's Overture
    Kiritsugu's New Catalyst
    Manhattan Project First Anniversary!
    A Thank-You to My Readers
    MPII Summary/Guide (not for new readers!)
    Master Statistics Sheet (And Quotes!)

FANART
    Caesarko by Nashoki
    In-progress sketch by the long-gone original Caesarko artist
    Nashoki's Caesarko, flatchest version
    Nashoki tsundere sketch
    The original Caesarko drawing
    Second Caesarko drawing
    Bikini Caesarko, by KAIZA
    Saber & Caesarko, by KAIZA
    Caesarko sketch by KAIZA based on this.
    Anniversary drawing by KAIZA
    Eleanor by KAIZA
    Nigel (head) by EXiku
    Eleanor by KAIZA (coloured by Five_X, skin coloured by KAIZA)
    Ilse by EXiku
    Caesarko, the Four Sabers by Vivaldi Nashoki
    Johana and her sword, by Nashoki
    Johana, disapproving of your shenanigans, by Nashoki
    Ilse, dressed for the holidays, by Lilirulu
    Napoleon, by KAIZA
    Johana's Lancer, by KAIZA
    Johana, by KAIZA
    Triumph of Caesar, by EXiku
    Triumph of Caesar (coloured), by EXiku
    Caster, Katalin and Alexei: the Soviet Trio, by Apple (sorta spoilers)
    Caesarko Bathing, by Lilirulu (NSFW)
    "Bang!" Ilse
    Super Action Caesarko
    Cute young Ilse
    Curvy Ilse :3
    Noble Caesarko
    Moe Caesarko!
    Younger Ilse
    Intense Caesarko gonna beat you
    Ilse, by Froggie
    Eleanor, by Kotonoha
    Eleanor and Moctezuma in front of the Washington Monument, by Apple
    New Caesarko, by Nashoki
    Sleepy Francois, by Kotonoha
    Wet T-Shirt Ilse, by Lilirulu
    Chibi Trio, by EXiku
    Caesar's casual dress, by EXiku
    (WIP) Ilse: German Footballer, by EXiku
    Caesar's Last Stand, by KAIZA
    Caesar in a bikini! by Lianru
    Johana in the Woods, by Apple
    Hannibal sketch, by Phearo
    El Cid sketch, by Phearo
    El Cid vs. Hannibal, by Phearo
    James and Ilse's Dance, by Froggie
    ==================================================

And, though it could be considered an omake I don't consider it one because it's special, the work you've all probably not been waiting too long for, the Manhattan Project II TVTropes page! Please, add tropes to it, or even character pages and so on. Many thanks to KAIZA for setting it up! I'm not the type to add anything to it, though; not out of laziness, but because that'd kinda make me look more egotistical than I already am. This project requires your input, people! I'll be sure to bug you all about it plenty of times, unless you don't want me to.
    Last edited by Five_X; February 18th, 2019 at 12:27 PM.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless