Toaru Betsu no Hanashi

Toaru Betsu no Hanashi

"Welcome to Academy City."

"The City that must be saved, no matter the means."

"The City that must be destroyed, no matter the concequences."

"From this point onwards, there is no peace of mind for those involved."

"The tale that should have been told is now forever lost."

"On that summer day a new STORY began."

It is July 16, Academy City. The most technologically advanced city on the planet is abuzz as both students and researchers take part in System Scan, the regular city-wide testing event to determine the power of Espers that reside within the city walls. But a restless feeling is hanging over Academy City. A feeling that has little to do anxious Espers and expectant teachers. It seems that a brand new tale, one of rapid change and struggle, is about to shake both Academy City and the world.

One far more different then the one you might be familiar with.-

Toaru Betsu no Hanashi is a RP taking place in Toaru Majutsu no Index/Toaru Kagaku no Railgun universe. In many ways, this RP is a retelling of the storylines of both Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. However, there has been quite a critical change. The characters from the novels are not the only ones affecting the the events and happenings of the story anymore. The PCs have an effect on how the larger story plays out and as changes seem to pile up, this RP will change to look less and less like the canon story we all know.

Whether you wish to play a crack commando from the Anti-Skills, a noble Magician from the Golden Dawn or a crazy and immoral scientist of Academy City, all paths are open. Villain or hero, calculating or gun-ho, every character can and will influence the story. Or perhaps you will create one of your own? Regardless of whether you choose to go rushing to save the world with the characters from the novel or tell a more personal, different kind of tale, the consequences of your actions are invariably changing the world around you.

Toaru Betsu no Hanashi is not so much about a GM revealing preplanned tale as it is about your choices creating both the smaller and greater tales that are told in the RP

The manual for the RP can be found here:

http://toaru.kitae.se/manual.doc

The RP itself will probably take place in another forum (which will be finished in a couple of days), due to the format of the RP being more suitable to a large forum that I can moderate and actively change. However, depending on the circumstances, that is still open to change and I may create the RP in a single-thread format.

EDIT - The forum is done - http://toaru.kitae.se

There are no limits to the amount of people that can register and neither are you limited to one character. If you are interested, please express it in this thread or send me a PM. For the time being, any character applications can be sent to me by PM.

Current Players:

• Mellon
    • Tobias
    • Verg Avesta
    • Aku/Kitae
    • eddyak
    • Certis Baliano
    • mangafreak7793
    • mewarmo990
    • DarkMAN
    • Tangerang
    • willyvereb
    • Lotus Saint
    • Egophobia
    • hero
    • Chaos Greyblood
    • MssrNeko
    • KENTA
    • Hikaru
    • Fangstrike
    Last edited by Mellon; March 20th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Omoshiroi.

I'm in.

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Caesar" is being prepared. Please wait warmly.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm interested! I'll have a look at the manual when I get back in later tonight.

Interesting. Is controlling actual ToAru characters allowed?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Verg Avesta View Post
    "Caesar" is being prepared. Please wait warmly.
    Is this "Caesar" going to be a Master Troll?

Click the moon for extra scenes Verg Avesta's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Erlkonig View Post
    Is this "Caesar" going to be a Master Troll?
    Think more of "Iskander in High School, without being so massive in size".

Blog Entries
    I don't see how a three-ton missile and a person can be-

Oh, wait...

How much knowledge of the To Aru universe is required?

For instance, I don't know anything, other that people spam thundershock.

I'll have to think about it.
    [18:30] RacingeR: Max S.Link with hero is when you promise your daughter to him
    [18:31] RacingeR: Which means Airen and me are the only ones that maxed it (I promised Spin to him, and Spin is my daughter)
    [18:32] hero: oh shit
    [18:32] hero: spincess get
    [18:32] hero: suck it fuckers

Blog Entries
    Mellon and I are still trying to knock the kinks out of mikuru. Gee, I should ask verg for a hand, come to think.

Quote Originally Posted by hero View Post

Well, with a few hardcore ToAru fans around (which is surely expected) I guess you can always ask people which is which.

By the way: If you wish I can give you a quick introduction of the ToAru world. Just ask me in PMs.

Ginger Magus
    This seems really well thought out.

I'll give it a shot.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll try my hand in this, Got a couple ideas of characters to use anyway

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    I don't RP much outside of IRL D&D, but your manual is cool.

I will make a character (because that's the most fun part for me), at least. Consider me in for now.

---

Are there any rules for multiclass characters? I was thinking of an Anti-Skill member who is also a Level 1 or 2 Esper (e.g., I was part of a minor experiment that tested the effects of power development training on tactical personnel).

Also, a suggestion - you might want to change the "Operator" perk to something like "Combat Pilot" or "Mechanized" or something, because that's probably what you meant. It's confusing because since Anti-Skill is basically SWAT team/special forces, an "operator" would merely refer to one such soldier in that context. Unless that's what they called them in the books. It's up to you.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; March 15th, 2011 at 06:58 PM.

I'm joining as always.
    Trapped within my fierce desire, resistance is futile. Screaming for your life, nowhere to hide,
    Tonight we cross the line, your innocence is mine!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    I don't RP much outside of IRL D&D, but your manual is cool.

I will make a character (because that's the most fun part for me), at least. Consider me in for now.

---

Are there any rules for multiclass characters? I was thinking of an Anti-Skill member who is also a Level 1 or 2 Esper (e.g., I was part of a minor experiment that tested the effects of power development training on tactical personnel).

Also, a suggestion - you might want to change the "Operator" perk to something like "Combat Pilot" or "Mechanized" or something, because that's probably what you meant. It's confusing because since Anti-Skill is basically SWAT team/special forces, an "operator" would merely refer to one such soldier in that context. Unless that's what they called them in the books. It's up to you.
    Well in the case of most of the "Heavy Battle" equipment, they are piloted used by one person.

The examples for instance. HsAFH-11 (Six-Wings) is a remote controlled helicopter (no crew) that has chainguns on it and flies at Mach 2,5. 6 of them were capable of killing 5000 mercenaries trying to climb the walls of Academy City. HsPS-15 (Large Armor) are basically power suits that have shotguns that can shoot tank-shell level bullets. They are both used/operated by one person. They aren't mainly stuff like APCs and other things like that, but rather the more exotic and powerful weapons that Academy City is pumping out.

As for "cross-class" characters... I might be open to ideas on that front. Though it is pretty much a given that a cross-class character cannot get all the same things that a single-class character can. I would probably give an increase in cost of some sort to the Anti-Skills perks and you wont get the stat boosts. (e.g you choose one "main" class and you can take aspects from another class) if your character is really based around it concept-wise.

Also, you could create your own perk in line with that (as I said, personal perks are most welcome). Something like: "Experimental Operative" - You are part of a prototype program to increase integration of Espers into Anti-Skills. As such, you are considered to be a member of Anti-Skills and gain X benefit, etc, etc.

Well, it is a pretty in-depth RP, so some knowledge would be required. I guess you can make a character and without much previous exposure and see the story that way, though you would certainly miss a large portion of the experience.

Besides, the animes are really well made and there really is no reason not to watch them.

Interesting. Is controlling actual ToAru characters allowed?
    Not as actual playable characters. I am thinking about the idea of giving "combat" control of novel characters to players whose characters cannot directly influence a certain story arc (for instance if you have a Magician while the Battle Royale arc is going on, but would still like to RP in that), though the system for that is still somewhat a work in progress at the moment.
    Last edited by Mellon; March 15th, 2011 at 07:31 PM.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Attribute points: Can we earn more? 8 might not be enough for, for example, characters who have an esper power that relies on their physical abilities.

For magical powers, do we have to come up with the same sort of crap the author regularly comes up with? Cross = punishment = crushes Touma, or someshit.

AP: Again, can we earn more?

And can we be unaffiliated with the various organisations? for example, a magician in the middle of Academy City, not working for any of the magic side, or a graduated esper?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Mellon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Attribute points: Can we earn more? 8 might not be enough for, for example, characters who have an esper power that relies on their physical abilities.
    Yeah, earning attribute points is possible. Also, abilities that "increase" certain attribute (like Accelerators speed boost), dont have to be expressed in the base stats. They are rather "sudden boosts" (use ability X way, gain X STR for one action and other stuff like that).

For magical powers, do we have to come up with the same sort of crap the author regularly comes up with? Cross = punishment = crushes Touma, or someshit.
    If you want to, you can use stuff like that. However, if it makes sense and is coherent, you can pretty much use any kind of "magic" you want (and give any kind of explanation behind the principles of that magic).

AP: Again, can we earn more?
    Yes, actions in the RP can result in new Perks (you dont get AP, but rather you get new perks based on your actions).

And can we be unaffiliated with the various organisations? for example, a magician in the middle of Academy City, not working for any of the magic side, or a graduated esper?
    Yeah, sure. Ill decide this on a case to case basis, but most likely will probably give extra AP to such "non-faction" characters, that they can use as they see fit. Though a graduated Esper would still probably fall under the Esper faction.

I really wanna join, but I'm having enough trouble as it is with 2 RPs. And I owe it to Verg to get Dan back up to speed in MW. If things go well in my schedule, I'll definitely join in.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    If we really were to make a hax character, could we still RP them if we agreed to be limited in what our character can do?

Let's say, for example, if we wanted to make a boss-character, like Acqua, they'd be part of the Magical Side, and thus limited in what they're allowed to do in Academy City- they can't just go off on a player-hunt and start sacking the city- or, alternatively, can't attack anybody at all unless the other characters come to try and take them down.