Page 207 of 782 FirstFirst ... 107157197202205206207208209212217257307707 ... LastLast
Results 4,121 to 4,140 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firloz View Post
    ... wait, so what does it take to become a heroic spirit then? I thought that 'actually existing as a human' was one of the criteria. am I just wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Prologue, Day 3
    A hero that becomes eternal in people's minds is no longer human after their death, and is promoted to another form of existence.
    Humans who bring about miracles, save people, and achieve great deeds, are called heroes even after their death.
    After being so called, they are promoted to heroic spirits after their death and become guardians of humanity.

It doesn't matter whether these people existed in reality or only in myths.
    It is people's conceptions that create a hero.
    People's wishes that "this is how things should be" give them form and set them up as real.
    Authenticity does not matter.
    They can have form as long as they have fame as a legend and people have faith.

The ultimate ideal humans have created, the greatest specimens of humanity.
    These are the heroes, the heroic spirits.
    And of course, since they are beyond human, they cannot be controlled by humans.
    A magus usually borrows their power only to mimic them.
    They can't summon the heroic spirits themselves.

But the Holy Grail made that impossibility into reality.
    It summons the heroic spirit, beyond human control, and turns it into a familiar obedient to the Master.
    That nonsense is proof that the Holy Grail is almighty.
    Just wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm pretty sure it's all a big handwave because mythological figures are more fun to write, but having all myths be true would just be silly. Probably shouldn't think too hard about it, right guys?

Anybody?
    Last edited by Mcjon01; January 9th, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hand-wave a rule in Type-Moon? About Servants?

Oh, Assassins. Never stop not being Hassan. <3

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    Nasu did it with Herc, and it was awesome.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Blog Entries
    Hey. Hey. I object to that!

The mythological hero thing isn't making a rule then handwaving around it, it's handwaving around an issue entirely to avoid having to make a rule to break. That's totally different. Totally.

Now, the Hassan shit, there's no excuse. Everybody in this thread go back and fix your Assassin profiles, I'll be waiting.

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    So sayeth the High Prophet, oh wait I don't have any profiles. :P
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Blog Entries
    At the very least, I expect a mod to append "And also he/she was actually a Hassan" to the end of every Assassin post.

Blog Entries
    Well I'm not doing it so you can just go and look for it yourself and then maybe I'd consider it.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Leo if I link every Assassin profile in this thread will you do it

Blog Entries
    McJon will shortly be enjoying a present from me.

(Maybe).
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    While someone is most certainly not sneaking up on all the Assassins, I've been wanting to write this one for awhile~.

Full disclosure: I am way too tired to think of a good NP name so I temporarily cribbed my suffix from Shuwen. I have no regrets, but I'll fix it later when I can think of anything. ^^; I'm not sure what to rank it, though, because it's modeled off of Shuwen's similarly unranked technique (thanks Nasu).

Servant: Assassin (also qualifies as Caster)
    True Name: Hua Tuo
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Description:
    Dressed in a loose dark green and gold silk Chinese robe, Assassin looks little like a killer and more like an itinerant scholar, albeit one who has finely firmed both body and mind. His unruly black hair is only somewhat tamed, worn neither too long nor too short, and tied back into a queue with a dark blue ribbon. His eyes are constantly moving, darting from topic to topic from behind a pair of small spectacles. The impression he gives, particularly with the rapid delivery of hypotheses and musings he launches into on a moment's notice if not reined in, is of a brilliant mind who is unable to calm his thoughts even if he wishes to.

(Unsurprising context: I met Mordin recently in ME2 and this is someone I've always wanted to poke at - though originally as a Caster.)

History:
    Widely regarded as the greatest practictioner of medicine in Chinese history, Hua Tuo revolutionized the practice of surgery and acupuncture. It is said that there was no disease he could not cure, no surgery he could not perform painlessly. Such was his skill that even at the age of almost 100, his peers were convinced he still looked as young as a man in his 30s. Hua Tuo credited this to both his mastery of medicine and to his adherence to a form of "training exercises" he had crafted. His reputation was so widespread that he was recruited by a tyrant warlord, Cao Cao, to treat his frequent and severe headaches.

What happened from there is a matter of dispute. Although it is considered that Cao Cao most likely suffered from a brain tumor, in some stories, Hua Tuo was able to keep the illness in almost complete abatement through repeated acupuncture treatments. However, despite being a doctor, Hua Tuo resented being a 'mere physician', unable to conduct his research. He fled, condemning the lord to pain and death, and concealed himself for some time before being caught and put to death. Though the warlord's advisors counseled leniency, knowing the doctor's irreplaceable genius, the pained Cao Cao nevertheless sought his death as revenge. In other stories, Hua Tuo was willing and able to conduct brain surgery upon the tyrant to immediately cure the tumor, but he grew fearful of being killed in a plot by his physician and sentenced him to death in a fit of paranoia.

What the stories agree upon, however, is that Hua Tuo's notes were destroyed following his sentencing (either by himself or by nervous officials not wishing to be implicated by possessing them) and that the field of Chinese medicine was set back hundreds of years by their loss. Many of the discoveries made by Hua Tuo are still not understood today and said to have bordered on the supernatural.

Though most qualified for the Caster class, Hua Tuo is disappointed that his history with Cao Cao is sufficient to relegate him to the Assassin container instead - though he does not dispute that it still suits him. His ability to bestow life is matched only by his capacity to understand how it is taken away, and his skill with needles is terrifyingly precise - but more than anything, he wonders if it would have been better to take the warlord's life in exchange for all the life-saving research he had yet to perform.

Statistics:
    Noble Phantasm:
    Strength: C
    Endurance: B
    Agility: A
    Mana: D
    Luck: D

Class Abilities:
    Presence Concealment
    The capacity to hide one's presence as a Servant. This rank is suitable for spying temporarily, but does not come naturally to the Servant and he has little taste for trying.

Personal Skills:
    Chinese Martial Arts
    A value that measures one's mastery of the martial arts that made becoming one with the universe as its objective. Its difficulty to learn is of the highest level and, unlike other Skills, it is at A Rank that one is at a level where he is said to have finally "learned it". Assassin integrated martial arts into the conditioning of his mind and body, achieving an inner harmony that allowed him to maintain his youth and vigor for countless decades. Though he did not push himself to become a master of combat per se, combined with his knowledge of the body and spirit, Assassin is deadly with little more than a common needle.

Item Construction
    The skill to manufacture magical items. Due to the limits of his container and the loss of his research, Assassin's rank in this skill has been greatly reduced, though even in this reduced state he is still capable of making "mundane" restoratives and performance-enhancing tonics that exceed anything produced by even cutting-edge pharmaceutical corporations.

Knowledge of Respect and Harmony
    This skill prevents any decrease in the effectiveness of a technique, regardless of how many times it is used against the same opponent. At this rank, it is difficult for attacks to even be perceived by the enemy.

Noble Phantasms:
    Suchi Veda - No Second Opinion is Necessary
    Type: Anti-Unit
    Not a true Noble Phantasm, but the distillation of Hua Tuo's legendary knowledge of the human body where he was famed to be able to cure even the greatest diseases with little more than one or two well-placed acupuncture needles inserted deeply into the body. By piercing an enemy's body with a blade or needle in the appropriate point, Assassin is able to precisely inject them with qi to produce the appropriate desired outcome. Whether restoration of grievous illness and accelerated healing or destruction of spiritual circuits and biological function, Assassin is well-versed in all of the pressure points of the body and how to induce the reaction he desires.

The effects, surprisingly, are only pronounced on spiritual entities with no physical body - Assassin is able to ply his craft directly on their spiritual bodies with little physical resistance. Despite the power of this technique, its flaw is that it is only a method of delivering qi, and provides Assassin with no ideal weapon for actually doing so. Armed with little more than needles and other bladed tools of his trade, it is difficult to imagine Assassin prevailing in an extended battle - yet all he needs is even a glancing strike upon exposed flesh.

The name of this Noble Phantasm references a lost Vedic text thought to contain the secrets of Hindu acupuncture; Hua Tuo's unusually rendered Chinese name and activity in areas where Buddhism was established in China has often been speculated to identify him as a foreigner who may have brought his original skills and knowledge from abroad.

Qing Nang Shu - Scripture of the Viridian Bag
    Type: Support
    Should he somehow be summoned as a Caster, Hua Tuo suspects that the whole extent of his legendary medical knowledge would be unlocked, giving him possession of the scroll said to have contained research and techniques unrivaled by any of the medical revolutions that followed him. Little would be beyond his reach of healing - perhaps even encroaching upon the Third Magic itself. However, this Noble Phantasm is sealed by not only the loss of his scripture, but also the dark clouds upon his reputation as a physician given that he was willing to abandon the warlord to his death.
    Last edited by Sunny; January 12th, 2013 at 02:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    There's your first mark, Leo.

Mate, that's noice as fuck! Vagrant's Avatar
    Wherever my body is, my heart is still in Straya, cunt
    Blog Entries
    But there were only ever 19 Hassan, weren't there? Doesn't that mean that after we've labelled 16 of these profiles with "and then he was the Hassan" we have to delete the rest as they don't match the existing lore?

Blog Entries
    Yes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    But there were only ever 19 Hassan, weren't there? Doesn't that mean that after we've labelled 16 of these profiles with "and then he was the Hassan" we have to delete the rest as they don't match the existing lore?
    And then they were the unnumbered Hassan. Thanks, Strange/Fake, you were good for something.

Blog Entries
    Nope. Clearly if we're going to follow the rules we need to follow all of them to the letter.

People can protect their Assassin profiles by putting in the stats "Master: Powerful Caster-class Servant with penchant for rule-breaking" and adjusting the stats/NPs/everything else to match. Otherwise they get deleted.

We will have no Strange Fake shenanigans in this thread, thank you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
    No. All the profiles are independent. From a Nasuverse perspective, each and every single one is "a fourth Hassan", no matter how many we dream up.

Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, we now get to look forward to an increased number of actively multiclassed Servants in this thread, thanks to Apocrypha and Semiramis. Awesome. That's aces, Charles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    No. All the profiles are independent. From a Nasuverse perspective, each and every single one is "a fourth Hassan", no matter how many we dream up.
    More than one fourth Hassan who are clearly not simply alternate universe versions of themselves? Absurd. Next you'll be proposing that we don't even mention them as Hassan in their profiles and just pretend that rule doesn't exist for the purposes of this thread.

No sir, I don't like it.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    But wasn't it stated that Herc was summonable as Assassin? Or is he a Hassan now as well?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Eh, hassan was never really interesting to begin with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    But wasn't it stated that Herc was summonable as Assassin? Or is he a Hassan now as well?
    Hercules was the prototype Hassan stored inside the Gate of Babylon. Although he does not bear the name Hassan and as such does not count as one of the 19 Hassan, as the prototype to their art of killing things dead it is possible to summon him using the Assassin title as a catalyst despite his status as a nameless prototype.