Page 194 of 302 FirstFirst ... 94144184189192193194195196199204244294 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,880 of 6035

Thread: Recommended Type-Moon Fanfics Discussion II: Electric Boogaloo

Blog Entries
    I'll +1 Fate Revelation Online. Although C43 could have used more explanation of what exactly Shirou did, I can actually see this happening in my mind.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

+1 to On the Independent Development of Magic Circuits and Its Implications.

It both explores what it would be like for Waver to succeed with his awesome paper and studies from before Fate/Zero, his reaction to it, and really gives the feeling of a research paper in the excerpts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You might wanna put that in spoiler tags.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuradora View Post
    +1 to On the Independent Development of Magic Circuits and Its Implications.

It both explores what it would be like for Waver to succeed with his awesome paper and studies from before Fate/Zero, his reaction to it, and really gives the feeling of a research paper in the excerpts.
    It didn't really sound like Waver at all. He gets all flustered and outraged when he's challenged. Not "THE DATA SAYS..." He also wouldn't be so stoic when it comes to everyone dogpiling his reputation academically. I mean, he joined the War in the first place because he wanted their approval.
    Last edited by mAc Chaos; January 8th, 2014 at 06:50 PM.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, just look at his reaction to Kayneth, he just kinds of crumble into impotent fuming.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Having now actually read the fic, on On the Independent Development of Magic Circuits and Its Implications:

Problems with it:

-Failure to adhere to how magic circuits actually work as shown to by canon.

-Waver is 'skilled' in other ways than teaching apparently. Also he doesn't really come off anything like Waver (to me), be it the Fourth War Waver or what little we've seen of Waver as Lord El-Melloi II. He's pretty much a robot.

-Apparently the lords of the Clock Tower are heavily flustered when confronted with the fact that they're offering their sister in marriage. Makes sense, we all recall how Tokiomi's composure absolutely shattered when Kariya confronted him with giving his daughter to Zouken.

-For some reason Waver is entitled to make important decisions and offend other families of lords without repercussions. I'm sure the family he represents will be pleased with that.

-Even within the fic itself, it doesn't make much sense that magic circuits not being hereditary would have any sort of ethical repercussions for the community.

-Not regarding Nasuverse canon, but Waver's study apparently fails to take into account that it's always easier to obtain a percentage improvement when you begin. Of course first generation magi have a faster improvement rate when put into percentage; 1 becoming 2 is a 100% percent increase whereas 10 becoming 11 is only a 10% increase.

All in all, it seems to be written for the purpose of "Scientific method fuck yeah! Modern society rocks and everything else is wrong!" and ignores parts of canon that would contradict its intended message. (Robot!Waver only reinforces this view.)

With that said, the fic is well-written for what it is and perfectly readable, as long as you don't expect Waver to be in character or for it to fit with the actual Nasuverse.
    Last edited by Siriel; June 7th, 2014 at 06:45 PM.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Having now actually read the fic, on On the Independent Development of Magic Circuits and Its Implications:

Problems with it:

-Failure to adhere to how magic circuits actually work as shown to by canon.

-Waver is 'skilled' in other ways that teaching apparently. Also he doesn't really come off anything like Waver (to me), be it the Fourth War Waver or what little we've seen of Waver as Lord El-Melloi II. He's pretty much a robot.

-Apparently the lords of the Clock Tower are heavily flustered when confronted with the fact that they're offering their sister in marriage. Makes sense, we all recall how Tokiomi's composure absolutely shattered when Kariya confronted him with giving his daughter to Zouken.

-For some reason Waver is entitled to make important decisions and offend other families of lords without repercussions. I'm sure the family he represents will be pleased with that.

-Even within the fic itself, it doesn't make much sense that magic circuits not being hereditary would have any sort of ethical repercussions for the community.

-Not regarding Nasuverse canon, but Waver's study apparently fails to take into account that it's always easier to obtain a percentage improvement when you begin. Of course first generation magi have a faster improvement rate when put into percentage; 1 becoming 2 is a 100% percent increase whereas 10 becoming 11 is only a 10% increase.

All in all, it seems to be written for the purpose of "Scientific method fuck yeah! Modern society rocks and everything else is wrong!" and ignores parts of canon that would contradict it's intended message. (Robot!Waver only reinforces this view.)

With that said, the fic is well-written for what it is and perfectly readable, as long as you don't expect Waver to be in character or for it to fit with the actual Nasuverse.
    So, a -1?
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Blog Entries
    I can't bring myself to -1 a fic that's actually well-written for what it is.
    O piteous Wanderer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishou the Badger View Post
    A neutral vote, then.
    Thus, no vote at all.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

JP Friend Code
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    Thus, no vote at all.
    On the contrary, a neutral vote is a significant thing. For one, a guarantee that the fic in question isn't complete crap, and that someone read it without developing the kind of burning hatred that most Naruto fics bestow upon the poor soul unfortunate enough to skim a few chapters. Second, it bestows an air of mystery. Third, green is best colour.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloble View Post
    Third, green is best colour.
    Amen brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    All in all, it seems to be written for the purpose of "Scientific method fuck yeah! Modern society rocks and everything else is wrong!"
    I hate when that happens. Like it does in about every second Harry Potter self insert fic.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually a bit late, but Remember on Spacebattles just updated Ch 12 Part 5 about a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    I hate when that happens. Like it does in about every second Harry Potter self insert fic.
    At least it doesn't sound as bad as the OCs people try to insert into the Familiar of Zero.
    Hamburgers.
    (I have a tendency of not finishing things I've started.)
    I hang out alot at my own Discord server, though there isn't really much activity in there. The Art Haus Chatterbox! Accepting commissions. Do you want some art done, and do you want it done for cheap? PM me, man, and we can talk. Currently not taking any commissions, sorry!

I have to agree with Siriel's assessment. The fic is well-written, but out of character and out of tune with the setting.
    It does in fact violate canon in non-obvious ways, perniciously propagating fanon - which is something I strongly dislike.

Blog Entries
    I thought Formalcraft was a way around not having decent/many circuits.

... so that's fanon then?

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No it totally is a way around not having many/good circuits, still need to have some though.

It is like a car battery, you need a bit of power in it to get the alternator going so it can produce its own power.
    Last edited by Knick; January 10th, 2014 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

Blog Entries
    Which is why I'm kinda confused on his statement that "Magecraft doesn't really require decent/many circuits" is a fanon theory. :\

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Epiren View Post
    Which is why I'm kinda confused on his statement that "Magecraft doesn't really require decent/many circuits" is a fanon theory. :\
    Because they've seen Shirou bullshit the system by overloading himself and not immediately get paralyzed because of Avalon.