Page 82 of 158 FirstFirst ... 32727780818283848792132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 3142

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ksho View Post
    I especially liked the author's original take on Alaya as an inhuman B*tch who doesn't really understand humans at all...despite having access to all of humanities history.
    I don't think you quite understand what Alaya is.

Also, the author has confessed to have read Nasu's Garden of Avalon translation before he wrote this....
    Hopefully he's taught other people this sorcery that allowed him to read something that doesn't exist.

which indicated that Saber IS a big deal who has the means to escape the throne.
    ?
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    That would be a feat.
    A fan/partial translation apparently...from his post chapter notes from chapter 3:

Post Chapter Notes:

Uther and Igraine: I started out working from the original Arthurian mythos on the circumstances of Arthur's conception and birth on this, before my kind reviewer Leaf Silicon alerted me to the recently published and partially translated Garden of Avalon.

Written by Kinoko Nasu himself, and released as part of the supplementary materials with the UBW DVD pack, it contains some short stories from the knights' perspectives. Sections are translated and available on Beast's Lair. I borrow from Kay's section especially, quoting his portion in the final part of the story. (Some of the implications are chilling in their connection back to general Nasuverse. Remember the impossible-to-spell spear that deals Mordred the death-wound? Looks like that's not all it does. A bit of a connection there linked to Angel Notes concepts, possibly, from what I've understood.)

For those who don't know the original myth, Uther spots Igraine with her husband Gorlois at a council of lords, and decides he'd like to sleep with her. Igraine refuses his advances, and alerts her husband. Gorlois responds by spiriting his household from the court under cover of darkness without asking the King's leave, giving Uther an excuse to declare war. Igraine is left in safety during the siege, only to receive an unexpected conjugal visit from her husband. A day later, she finds out Gorlois was already dead at the time. It was Uther, disguised by Merlin's magic – making Arthur's conception a rape by deception, which will later parallel Mordred's conception.

Fate hasn't had many details before Arthur's birth, so I was mostly basing myself on that (Garden of Avalon appears to be a bit more clinical in events, and all of it done with the aim of creating the perfect heir). But if Uther could pull stunts like that – maybe the worries about Arturia not being human, and her problems with the inhuman actions she takes, stem not from her reign, but her father's. Archer's got a lot more to do than he realizes…

Wayland the Smith: Wayland is part of a gruesome vengeance legend. There are two major variants on the beginning and end, that also vary the justification for the actions taken. The core of the legend is how Wayland's skills as a master smith beyond compare come to the ears of a king, who decides that he wants the master smith to work exclusively for him. Wayland is captured and hamstrung so he cannot run away. For years, he is forced to forge armor, weapons, and jewelry beyond compare for the king. Wayland spends that time gaining the trust of the king's children and devising a means of escape.

And then, after years of imprisonment, he strikes. He kills the kings' two boy sons, fashioning their skulls into drinking cups for the king, their eyes into jeweled brooches for the queen, and their teeth into a necklace for their sister the princess. Next, he rapes and impregnates the princess, possibly drugging her first. Finally, having build a magical/mechanical set of wings for an escape by flight, he taunts the King with full knowledge of his vengeance, cruelly gloating, before flying to freedom.

Foreigners: Britain was a divided country, with great numbers of foreign invaders, often Saxons, but sometimes simply from different parts of the isle as well. As you may guess, this leads to foreigners being distrusted. Archer's unusual height for a peasant, mixed with his non-standard coloring and Asian features, make him look distinctly odd to Britons. And we all know how people fear those who are different than themselves. It is also one of the few problems I thought Archer might honestly not anticipate, coming from the world and time of globalization.

Guilds: In the absence of college and G.E.D. certificates, master-apprenticeship relationships taught trade to a standard level, and guilds of a single craft set the standards and the prices. A lone craftsman without a guild to back him up is at a severe disadvantage in such a culture.

Gwen's Role and Queen's Problems: Anyone who has read about Henry VIII and his six wives knows exactly how big a crisis of succession could come, particularly in the generation after a civil war settling just such a crisis. Guinevere is now knowingly condemning herself to the same eventual fate that Katharine of Aragon would face historically, blamed for failing to ensure the stability of the kingdom after her husband's death. It is an avenue for much depression, opening the door to a failing relationship before the wedding even happens.

Of course, knowing Merlin's most infamous prank… that may not be an issue for long.
    Last edited by ksho; May 26th, 2015 at 10:32 PM.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    ?
    I think this is indicative of the whole "I have read the translation to Garden of Avalon" part.

Blog Entries
    Somewhat off-topic, but isn't Gate of Avalon the one where Manaka from Fate/Prototype summons Saber from Fate/Stay Night?

Edit: Nevermind.

Edit(2): Nevermind that nevermind, I'm still wondering.
    Last edited by Historia; May 26th, 2015 at 10:30 PM.

If a story is already on the index do we need to give some kind of review in order to +1 it?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel893 View Post
    Somewhat off-topic, but isn't Gate of Avalon the one where Manaka from Fate/Prototype summons Saber from Fate/Stay Night?

Edit: Nevermind.

Edit(2): Nevermind that nevermind, I'm still wondering.
    Fate/Labyrinth; there's a translation thread in the relevant subforum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nick View Post
    If a story is already on the index do we need to give some kind of review in order to +1 it?
    Making a detailed review gets you your own section in the positive recs for a fic. Just giving it a +1 means you get folded into the collapsed text at the end of a fic's review count.
    canon finish apo vol 3

My rec already counts as a +1 for Contractual Obligations right? Or is it like voting where I have to vote for my candidate again?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My rec already counts as a +1 for Contractual Obligations right? Or is it like voting where I have to vote for my candidate again?
    Nah, it already counts as a positive, so you don't have to rec it again
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    there aren't enough gun emojis in the thousandfold trichiliocosm for this shit

Linger: Complete. August, 1995. I met him. A branch off Part 3. Mikiya keeps his promise to meet Azaka, and meets again with that mysterious girl he once found in the rain.
    Shinkai: Set in the Edo period. DHO-centric. As mysterious figures gather in the city, a young woman unearths the dark secrets of the Asakami family.
    The Dollkeeper: A Fate side-story. The memoirs of the last tuner of the Einzberns. A record of the end of a family.
    Overcount 2030: Extra x Notes. A girl with no memories is found by a nameless soldier, and wakes up to a world of war.

K...thanks for clarifying! You can use my post earlier as my review:

I never thought I'd ever read a time travel fic where EMIYA travels to Camelot that had the potential to be actually good...and I was pleasantly surprised that I might be proven wrong.

The writing is excellent for one...the characterization and interaction between the characters is another, as each characters voice feels true to their characters. (it helps that the author seems to have competent knowledge of Arthurian lore as well)

I especially liked the author's original take on Alaya as an inhuman B*tch who doesn't really understand humans at all...despite having access to all of humanities history.

It's an original take that works IMHO...not to mention that it was established early on that this case was an exception, and Alaya doesn't usually hand out or even meet her CG's face to face. (that "Automatic Acceptance" to "Manual Review" of a mission was telling)

Also, the author has confessed to have read Nasu's Garden of Avalon translation before he wrote this....which indicated that Saber IS a big deal who has the means to escape the throne. So it's no wonder that Alaya would want Saber in her CG stable and put the extra effort to procure her.
    Last edited by ksho; May 26th, 2015 at 10:50 PM.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I'd be tempted to -1 it on the fact that this author is apparently blowing smoke out of their ass alone, but yeah, maybe I'll just drop a review on FFN to tell them to stop misleading people.

+1 to Fate/EXTRA: The Midnight Sea

F/E is not exactly my favorite TM work, but this story seems to be doing a really good job so far.
    The idea of the MC having two servants thus forcing him to fight two master servant teams each week plus the Sakura/Zouken subplot helps prevent it from feeling too rehashy. And the fact that a certain individual works the night shift at the nurse's office is simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

The only criticisms I have are:
    The author should try to make sure one day in the fic doesn't take up more than one chapter. We still have over five weeks to go, and even if each day only takes up one chapter that will still be adding over 40 chapters to what already exists.
    Lastly figuring out the servant's identity should be more useful. I mean the guy went through all that trouble in order to find out his opponents true names, but it didn't really seem to make that much difference in the final battle.
    Last edited by Alternative Ice; May 26th, 2015 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Posting without fully thinking it through

Blog Entries
    F/E is not exactly my favorite TM work, but this story so far seems to correct a lot of the plot holes and lazy writing in the game.
    Could you provide examples?
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Could you provide examples?
    Sorry bout that, I had written that sentence while thinking of certain bits of lazy writing in the game. But everything I was thinking of either happens in the later weeks or is not even applicable to this story.

The point I was trying to make was just that Midnight Sea makes the setting feel less video gamish, if the makes any sense.
    Last edited by Alternative Ice; May 26th, 2015 at 11:57 PM.

I'd be tempted to -1 it on the fact that this author is apparently blowing smoke out of their ass alone, but yeah, maybe I'll just drop a review on FFN to tell them to stop misleading people.
    The liberties it's taken with Alaya/Heroic Spirits aside...I'm interested to know what you thought of the story itself?

Blog Entries
    The Heat Death of the Universe
    http://archiveofourown.org/works/2275617

"Nasu Kinoko believes in truth and miracles. Urobuchi Gen disagrees. (RPF, fem!Nasu)"

The creative process between Nasu and Gen when Gen is working on Zero. It's wicked cute.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Lastly figuring out the servant's identity should be more useful. I mean the guy went through all that trouble in order to find out his opponents true names, but it didn't really seem to make that much difference in the final battle.
    Yeah I mentioned that Xyphos alongside the fact that he really misused the first week OC dude and we are trying to correct that bit. (and by we I mean he is and I just scream to him when he is not writing =V)

As for the one day one chapter thing, that's just his style.

Year 1

Salt Corner

Quote Originally Posted by hayate View Post
    He's the exception. We see him swimming in with the
    gold
    good
    waifus.

He got his share of woes as with other players, but it has been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of different SSRs, both as F2P and P2P.

I don't even wish to stand beside him as I got 2 consecutive IRs at my work the very same month after I got Jeanne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    Okay:

First of all, a big FUCK YOU to everyone who got Holmes
    Second of all, a DOUBLE FUCK YOU at Laith because asahkwbebnfj,hhfshfls;
    Third of all, a TRIPLE FUCK YOU to people who quote Laith's gacha posts. THE WHOLE POINT OF HAVING HIM IN MY IGNORE LIST IS TO PREVENT THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by Aozaki-desu View Post
    fuck laith btw