Page 121 of 158 FirstFirst ... 2171111116119120121122123126131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 3142

Thread: TM Fanfics Index: Recommendations & Discussion. Updates never

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I dislike it because it had this

Next time on Dragon Ball Z, the screaming goes on for an entire page.

Alternatively: Why does that fic have Fonzi in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    "Deconstruct" does not mean Character X from Series Y bitches about Series Z.

That's just the author piling on.
    True that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Well, I was thinking about Hill of Swords when I did my first Fate fanfiction. But it wasn't for the plot so much as "f***, I can do a better Shirou than that."
    Arashi's guide to writing the characters of Tsukihime:

Shiki: The less he talks, the more badass he is.
    Arc: All things are relevant to how bored she is.
    Ciel: Only sane woman. Also, responsibility.
    Akiha: Focus on pride-aspect of tsundereness.
    Hisui: Actually the boke to Kohaku's tsukkomi, but has a complete straight face.
    Kohaku: Overcompensating genki. Go overboard with it.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Carpe_Noctem's Avatar
    Apologies if this is old news, but there's this FSN/RWBY fanfic I found the other day called Fate Recondite.

It's pretty much Shirou from UBW route, but near the end when Gilgamesh is clawing his way out of the Grail with Enkidu Shirou decides to be a hero and jumps in, thinking it's the only way to stop Gil. Cue maelstrom of whatthefuckwherethehellamIpainpainpainPAIN and all of a sudden the grail spits him back out.... into Remnant.

Where he blacks out.

He is later rescued, and several misadventures later Ospin offers to have him join the staff at Beacon........ as a custodian. (The Fake Janitor lives once more!)

RWBY timeline is sometime after the team fights with the Mech downtown, and the dance.
    Spoiler:
    I am the bone of my bullet
    Severing is my body and binding is my blood
    I have created bullets from my ashes
    Unknown to mercy
    nor known to hope
    I have stopped even time to win my battles
    yet, these hands will never save anyone
    And so, as I pray
    Innate Time Control

Blog Entries
    Well, do you like it?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Are you formally recommending it, or just pointing it out to the thread?

(And I assume you're aware, but just because your language instils a hint of doubt: the suicide via Gil is originally a VN Bad End).
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Carpe_Noctem's Avatar
    Kinda forgot to check the OP if there was some sort of format to follow, my bad entirely :P

Anyways, yes I am recommending Fate Recondite, a FSN/RWBY crossover. It's on ff.net, and it's official synopsis is as follows:
    Shirou sacrificed himself to take Gilgamesh with him, dropping both of them into the Holy Grail. So he should be dead, right? Then why does he have so many questions? Questions such as why is he still alive? Why is the moon shattered? What is a faunus?
    So as I said in the previous post, Shirou suicides to take Gil out (which I totally forgot was an actual Bad End), grail spits him back out into Remnant. Gets rescued, gets into misadventures, gets hired as a member of the custodial staff of Beacon Academy (Fake Janitor ftw). All this takes place some time after team RWBY's fight with the mech downtown but before the dance. The author seems to be subtly hinting on ShirouxWeiss, but there has been nothing concrete as of now. 7 Chapters so far, updates are kinda sporadic but author insists that he has no intentions of dropping it.

Overall, I like it. Shirou isn't overpowered (at least, from my point of view he isn't), his interactions with the rest of the cast are fun to read and pretty believable, and the pacing is quite good.

Though, there WAS this one time when he released chapter 6, and the enter back-half was just a huge unnecessary info-dump from Shirou to Teams RWBY and JNPR about his origins and powers. Myself as well as other readers were quick to point out how unrealistic that was, and the author quickly took down that latter half of chapter six. He then released the new version as the current chapter 7 (after a couple months anyways). So even if the quality drops, he's shown that he's willing to change things if enough people comment on and justify it.
    Spoiler:
    I am the bone of my bullet
    Severing is my body and binding is my blood
    I have created bullets from my ashes
    Unknown to mercy
    nor known to hope
    I have stopped even time to win my battles
    yet, these hands will never save anyone
    And so, as I pray
    Innate Time Control

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe_Noctem View Post
    Kinda forgot to check the OP if there was some sort of format to follow, my bad entirely :P

Anyways, yes I am recommending Fate Recondite, a FSN/RWBY crossover. It's on ff.net, and it's official synopsis is as follows:

So as I said in the previous post, Shirou suicides to take Gil out (which I totally forgot was an actual Bad End), grail spits him back out into Remnant. Gets rescued, gets into misadventures, gets hired as a member of the custodial staff of Beacon Academy (Fake Janitor ftw). All this takes place some time after team RWBY's fight with the mech downtown but before the dance. The author seems to be subtly hinting on ShirouxWeiss, but there has been nothing concrete as of now. 7 Chapters so far, updates are kinda sporadic but author insists that he has no intentions of dropping it.

Overall, I like it. Shirou isn't overpowered (at least, from my point of view he isn't), his interactions with the rest of the cast are fun to read and pretty believable, and the pacing is quite good.

Though, there WAS this one time when he released chapter 6, and the enter back-half was just a huge unnecessary info-dump from Shirou to Teams RWBY and JNPR about his origins and powers. Myself as well as other readers were quick to point out how unrealistic that was, and the author quickly took down that latter half of chapter six. He then released the new version as the current chapter 7 (after a couple months anyways). So even if the quality drops, he's shown that he's willing to change things if enough people comment on and justify it.
    -1 Fate Recondite from me. The new Ch7 helps to change this fic from being yet another 'Shirou being shuper speshul and shows locals how to GAR/BAR' fic, but not much, seeing as unless there's been a rewrite completely old chapters' black marks still outweigh good ones. The weakest RWBY protag member started kicking ass after one lesson of Shirou's tutelage, beating up his crush to try and prove himself. The memetic old badass of the setting is awed at Shirou's existence despite Soul Magic Bullshit being prevalent in-setting. Shirou gets into fights from people that has no reasons to be fighting him because the author likes conflict (eg makes misunderstandings to have Shirou appear to be a terrorist).

Though the story reads only like the author doesn't quite get canon of either side instead of actively being malicious and downplaying the RWBY side of things. Still, not something I'd recommend people to read, unless they literally ran out of things on their current list and is bored enough to want anything that's not completely rubbish (the rubbish ones in question being things like OP!Edgy!Harem Shirou fics that's blatantly copying other 'popular' fics on FFN).
    Last edited by Flere821; October 21st, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Elf, dealing fanfic crack for Beast Lair since 2007.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    Elf: Crack Dealer. Story at eleven.
    'Fae is Foul' - My SAO/ZnT Crossover fanfic (SB Thread) (FFN Link)

+0 to Fate Recondite.

Overall, the story itself isn't anything fairly new. It took one bad end from the VN and gave it somewhere to go. Characters feel in character, and most of the things that happen there genuinely made me smile. (Ruby being dense and jumping to conclusions, as in character as that is.)

But most of the time, the author spends too much time trying to make sense of things that shouldn't. Case in point, Jaune suddenly being bad-ass from getting one thing pointed out from Shirou. The dialogue can be considered weak in that it goes around and around before getting to the actual point two to three rounds later. It feels kinda tiresome to read.

The action parts were good though. I liked it a lot... maybe because I'm actually terrible with action scenes. I'm not exactly sure if Shirou is overpowered here. I've only watched six episodes of RWBY before dropping it. So either Shirou is overpowered, or most of the RWBY cast aren't really that strong compared to a guy that's peak human in the route he came from.

+0 to Chaos Theory.

FSN fanfics usually tend to tread on a dangerous level because there are a lot of minute details which needs to be considered for setting up a somewhat believable storyline plus the multiple route thing can be a walking landmine if not treated properly because there are subtle changes in the way some people behave in each route(for e.g. technically the very first time in HF,we find how much cold and ruthless Rin can be if she indeed follows the path of a magus granted there are somewhat similar scenarios in other routes but HF highlights it the most).Chaos Theory indeed started off pretty well and characterization,more or less were on point with good exposition but lately,the entire Sakura-Caster subplot has really annoyed me.Also,the VN Shirou despite not really being competent never gave me the vibes of being "inefficient" or just occupying a position for the sake of it.This CT Shirou screams "doormat" at times.I don't know whether anything has changed in the recent chapters because I didn't bother to read it but from what I have read untill now ,the execution of the last few chapters that I have finished leaves a lot to be desired.

Edit:I am still willing to give it a chance in future if I get around to read it.
    Last edited by CosmicVibe; November 11th, 2015 at 02:09 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Asunder's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    New Chaos Theory is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Asunder View Post
    New Chaos Theory is up.
    This chapter can be summed up in 1 sentence:

The Gilgamesh Strikes Back!

And what a glorious comeback it is...being de-armed must be some sort of multi-universal requisite for turning a character into a badass (or finally getting off their ass and showing people their touted bad-asserry isn't just hot air)
    Last edited by ksho; November 22nd, 2015 at 10:33 PM.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    This new chapter was quite a show, bravo and applause from me.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    +1 to Heaven's Fall

Blog Entries
    +1 to The Story of How Waver Velvet Came to Compile Lord Kayneth's Encyclopedia of Arcane Secrets.

Silly title aside, quite an interesting take on what would have brought Waver to take up Kayneth's legacy. Waver is consistent enough with how he was by the end of Zero, and it avoids the pitfall of trying to make his initial research valid. In fact it takes the care to explain why old magi families are such a big deal.

The narration is good, perhaps a bit too wordy at times but it knows to take a step back when dialogue starts so it doesn't get in the way, making the read quite enjoyable.
    Ragnarok, come day of wrath
    That fallen souls might bear our plea.
    To hasten the Divine's return.
    O piteous Wanderer.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    +1 to above
    canon finish apo vol 3

Blog Entries
    +1
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Plus one on that story with the really long name from the new guy

Blog Entries
    -1 to the pressure cooker. Pure morbid curiosity made me take a look, and I want that 5 minutes of my life back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    It needs to be recced first to be de-recced or else you're just heaping on negativity.

Do you want to do that, Toby?

Are you really that guy?

Shame on you. Shame on you.

Blog Entries
    Look, you know how your tastebuds change every 7 years? Every once in a while I'll try something new just to see if I am not giving it enough credit. On a similar vein, I read a lemon for the first time in quite a while not long ago.

one of bloble's, I think it was.

But end of the day I have to score what I have read. And...how do I put this, that fic made me think if my opinion was wrong, it was because I was giving it to much credit, not to little.

thats my honest thoughts, if that makes me that guy, I'll be that guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.